8.5

1. Nov 12, 2014
    This is the Tomb Raider game they always needed to make. Amazing story, amazing characters (especially Lara), and amazing gameplay.

My only main criticism of the game is the tombs themselves. Tombs should have been incredibly expansive puzzle-fests. Instead, they're very short, single-puzzle distractions. Very disappointing.

Some of the scripted events are lacking, but otherwise
    the gameplay is phenomenal. Although, I do think it focuses too much on action and too little on puzzle solving. Hopefully they'll fix that in the sequel.

It was honestly a toss-up between an "8" and a "9", but ultimately I choose "9" because I didn't feel it's action-oriented gameplay should detract from the score, even though I think Tomb Raider should have more puzzle elements than action.
  2. Nov 4, 2014
    We all know Tomb Raider. It's an action adventure game, where you play as an overy sexualized British lady, and you shoot bad guys, and solve puzzles, and find relics; however, it's always been a bit cartoony. This reboot of Tomb Raider is real, and it's nitty, and it's gritty.

But is that a bad thing? It depends on what you want. For me I thought it was a good game, but with too much
    deviation. Here are my cons and pros:

CONS 1. There were not enough puzzling elements to the game. There were some, but they often didn't make sense, or weren't particularly enthralling. The puzzle/logic aspect to this game has been watered down a great deal in favor of action and adventure. 2. Combat, while improved in comparison to the other Tomb Raider games, is still lacking. It's hard to maneuver and turn when a million guys are attacking. You have to constantly switch back and forth between perspectives, and the dodge move Lara does isn't very good. Why does she crawl like a dog? It often moves you in the wrong direction. However, the combat isn't all bad. The auto cover is an excellent feature. And I also don't think they should scrap the idea of a combined system, where you view Lara in 3rd and 1st person modes. It's just that they need to make Lara more robust and able to dodge attacks better. Semi-assisted aiming would be good too. 3. I hate how the game automatically autosaves when you exit the campfire. What if I don't want to save it and I just want to experiment with my upgrades? 4. Tiny text. Why is the text so tiny? It's hard to see, especially when you consider the colors they chose to display information. 5. Lara is very sluggish in comparison to her former self. She's not as acrobatic and it feels more realistic...yeah, but it's not as fun. She can't leap and hop like she used to. Oh, sure, Lara is still a super human, but she needs to be more acrobatic, I feel. 6. Why does she scurry around like a dog? Why can't she just duck and skulk like a normal person (in a video game)? 7. It was very hard to see in some points of the game. The environments were too busy. It was way too dark. There was wind, and snow, and rain blowing in your face. You didn't know where to go. It made the game kind of annoying to play. There weren't huge issues with camera, but clarity was a problem. 8. Graphics are beautiful, yet somehow lacking. A lot of the environment looked dark and stiff. There was no sense of wonderement. You felt like you were always in a prison of some sort. 9. Voice acting. It's not that anyone did a bad job at voice acting, but I feel like the other Laras in Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld had better, more lively voices. 10. Button mashing! I hated it. It was so annoying to have to mash button X to open or do something. A couple times should do it. Having to press X rapidly 15 or 20 times is irritating. At most it should be 5 times. 11. So, you're in this huge rather lush world, but it's easy to get lost, and lose sight of your objectives. The "instincts" button while helpful didn't always hit the mark. In another Tomb Raider game I played she gave verbal clues, which was great, and in my opinion should be implemented into the next game in addition to the instincts tool. This would give further clarity as to what you have to do and where to go. 12. The story was so so. Nothing compelling or really emotional. I thought it lacked heart, and some of what happened was just ridiculous, and made no sense. It lacked consistency. 13. Game errors. There was a point in the game where my game just completely froze for no reason. I understand why this happens, but it should not be a thing.

PROS (There are more pros than there are cons in this game, but I'm only listing what stuck out.) 1. I like how the remodeled Lara to make her more realistic. Her boobs, while still quite large, are not as ridiculous as they once were. And she looks more like an explorer rather than a stripper. 2. I really like the open world, how you can explore, and move around. Makes you feel like you're there. The environments are large and spacious. While I noted they weren't perfect it is much an improvement over the previous games. The graphics at times can be very, very beautiful. 3. Pumping up the action was a great idea. It really pushed you along in the game. Made you feel excited. 4. Other than my comments on the puzzling elements, the style of gameplay was mixed together quite well. It was not completely linear. There were parts of the game where you only had to run and slide, or push the button at the right moments, and was used in the right amount. 5. The weapons upgrades were good fun. It gave an RPG feel to the game. ... In conclusion: Good game. Can be a bit frustrating, but worth checking out. Especially if you're a Tomb Raider fan. If you're not you still might like this.
  3. Sep 2, 2014
    Tomb Raider (2013) starts interestingly, it has a good story and we get CGI cutscenes. But the more it progressed i came less to like this game: lack of tombs , traps, animal fights, things what makes a great adventure that relaxing atmosphere in the past Tomb raider games ..oh! and the memorable music. The game has very nice graphics. When Lara isn't shooting human enemies it's quite nice to play but there are many big action sequences and fighting against enemies, the game invests too heavily on action, which Isn't my liking. I get the feeling I've seen this many times before Expand
  4. Aug 11, 2014
    Tomb Raider has a very interesting plot with really good graphics for xbox 360. The voice actings are pretty good, and even though I don't like stealthing as much, but the stealth in tomb raider was really interesting. Awesome game, and I would recommend it to probably anybody.
  5. Aug 11, 2014
    What happened to Tomb Raider? It simply turned into a game like Uncharted, but that's okay. There is nothing to worry about. This one is good too, wonderful, refreshing, and full of adventures too. The graphics are amazing. The new Tomb Raider is very entertaining and no less important than the previous ones.
  6. Jun 25, 2014
    Overall is an amazing game and maybe my second favorite Tomb Raider game, what I didn't like a lot about this game it's the stage changes, some feel the same and Tomb Raider games usually have many stage changes, because usually they take you to different parts of the world, even when this is in one island, it's pretty good.

The controls are great and fun, I enjoyed the gameplay a lot.
    The story is good enough but maybe the final part feels rushed, there's no face to face fight with Himiko and Mathias' button fight is dumb and too easy, it needed something better with those two.

Visually is good, I like what they did to Lara's design and her character's emotions, she feels more vulnerable at first and you can feel how the character grows up while you continue playing. I recommend it a lot.
  7. Jun 9, 2014
    Very entertaining game. Great graphics, story, dialog and suspense. Checkpoints are generous. Menus are easy to navigate and on-the-fly fighting and crashing is well crafted. Easy to navigate to your next objective thanks to some in game tools. There is significantly more violence in this game and ranks up there with the bloodiest of them which might be a turn-off to some classic players. Laura takes a major beating in this one, but remains humble and focused, which elicits plenty of empathy and support. Lots of extras for those side quest hunters. Overall highly recommended. Expand
  8. May 27, 2014
    Beautiful game. Lara's a totally new character, we can feel more her, see her and her emotions. Her first kill and her first adventure in Yamatai to kill that **** of Himiko haha.
    Anyway, Tomb Raider give us a whole new experience, a journey with a new Lara. A more human Lara, a more characterized Lara, a totally new Lara.
  9. May 17, 2014
    I still dont know if it's worth an 8 or 9. really good game, immersive with crazy storyline. you really get into it. you feel lara's emotions. Nothing seems fake. it's detailed and beautiful. lots of variety. even some puzzles gameplay's amazing only negative point is concerning the bow. It really feels great when executed as it's supposed to but... when you've spent all your gun ammos and start to shoot with the bow without streching it at all like it would be a pistol and that it actually shoot and hits target.. hum (almost sorry to say that but it,s true)

buy it
  10. Apr 7, 2014
    This game is so great that a year after playing it a second time I had to write a review.

Tomb Raider is a series I loved on my ps2, and as the series continued I became disapointed. The series needed a reboot, and Crystal Dynamics hit it out of the park. The series reboot is a joy to play, and left me excited for the future of the series again.

The island and detail in the visuals
    is a joy to behold. It is rare for me to really enjoy visuals to the extent that I would take my time taking in the island, and surrounding nature to explore. Exploration is a blast, and the only complaint I would have is it needed more of it. Finding artifacts and exploration is so fun, and done well I wanted more of it. The tombs were a highlight, and something done so well I wanted more. This may sound like a negative and it may be slightly, but it is more telling how well it is done.

The mechanics and controls is masterfully done. Climbing and shooting is pure joy, and done very well. The game allows for sneaking, or hunting depending on how you want to approach areas. The graphics, as mentioned, are fantastic. It is mature in content, especially if you end of dieing. I rather enjoyed the grittiness of the content, and is something I wanted to see from Tomb Raider since the beginning. The sound and island life is done well, and hunting is fun to do, but lacks depth. This is something that could be fleshed out more in the future, and expand on the need to hunt to survive.

The game is a blast and is a title I believe you shouldn't miss.

Fun Factor 9/10
    Control: 10/10
    Sound: 9/10
    Graphics: 10/10
    Note: Multiplayer is added and a nice feature, but it may not hold your attention beyond a dozen times.
  11. Mar 30, 2014
    It really wasn't that good. At the beginning you walk a bit, wolves attack, walk a bit, wolves attack, its very tedious. It doesn't get better. It is a short game that doesn't give a great experience. The shooting is good but it doesn't deserve the praise its gotten.
  12. Mar 21, 2014
    This game is amazing I never liked the tomb raider games until this came out the clunky sloppy third person platforming IS NO MORE its smooth and feels great sometimes there is questionable landings but in my opinion I'd rather have that than have to start all over again because of a hyper sensitive platforming system.The gameplay is great also I really liked the upgrading system find salvage which is the equivalent of money and use it to upgrade your weapons which are very reasonable upgrades such as quicker reload time or incendiary shotgun shells to name a few also another thing I liked was finding weapons part to reach the next level weapon for example upgrading a makeshift bow to a actual long bow and the story for this game let me tell you was amazing I'm not gonna post any spoilers but if you haven't gotten this game get it you won't regret it and a word of advice look all over the place for hidden items and raid the tombs it I'd worth while Expand
  13. Mar 7, 2014
    As much as I love Tomb Raider, I'm afraid I won't be purchasing the newest release. For some reason, the makers have gone far, far away from what the game started out to be and have made it an 18, adding excessive violence and bad language. What's the point of that? This used to be a game I could play with my kids, with the suspense factor being paramount, particularly in the first game. Now they've turned it into a completely different format and just used the Tomb Raider name to create a survival game that has nothing to do with the original Tomb Raider.

I'm very upset! :(
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    Lara Croft is Born. Pros: Amazing graphics. Semi open world. Great level design. Atmospheric. Great protagonist with the nice English accent. Triple A voice acting. Action packed. About 10 to 16 hrs. Cons: Story is ridiculous. Lara's friends are bland. Side tombs are uninspired. Exploring island is too scripted. Lara is like a god surviving all that chaos, she's not superman, make it less set pieced. Expand
  15. Feb 6, 2014
    This game was FANTASTIC. It was action packed, amazing visuals, perfect controls and a great combat system. It was an amazingly immersive environment and the game took me 15 hours plus (I did spend a bit of time wandering)

Definitely a top 5 XBOX 360 game since launch.
  16. Feb 3, 2014
    Adventure, action, history... Good game...................................................................................................................
  17. Jan 29, 2014
    tomb raider, the best way you can invest some money on a game, its beautiful, it has excelent gameplay controll, its full of art its awsome. you will not regret about buyin it
  18. Jan 25, 2014
    This is the first game I have not been able to put down in a long time! It is non stop action along with a great story. I put off getting this game for a while, cuz I have never been that big into the Tomb Raider games, but I am glad I gave it a chance! This is the first 10 I have ever given a game, it is a must have ! They have re done everything thing , I agree it is a mix of Uncharted and Far Cry 3 ..... Except better. If you like either of those games go get this! You will not regret it . I can't wait for the next one. Expand
  19. ERB
    Jan 22, 2014
    Outstanding graphics,Beautiful world,and fun game play and interesting story Tomb Raider has to be one of the best video games of this year.This is a must buy game for you gamers.
  20. Jan 20, 2014
    Great graphics, user friendly, nice story. The QT events were pretty horrible atleast for PC but I was able to get past that. Combat system felt good since it allowed for head shots.
  21. Dec 31, 2013
    The leading female and one of the most recognisable video game characters is back! That's right Lara Croft! and man is she more bad ass then ever. After the series was heading for a land slide I'm glad crystal dynamics has pick it back up into its true glory. A total redesign of Lara's character structure and personality has influences a positive attitude towards gamers and made the game more believable and realistic. Tomb Raider is a true adventure filled with fun combat and graphical environments that are worth $80 just to look at. Apart from the cheesy characters and story this is a near perfect reboot to the franchise that was well in need of one. When the credits begun to roll, you will feel like your money was well spent and be filled with excitement to see what comes next. Expand
  22. Dec 31, 2013
    I expected just another Lara Croft rehash but was blown away by this. Loved it! And this is from someone who has played Tomb Raider games from the very beginning, on the original PlayStation.
  23. Dec 30, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an exciting, thrilling, and visually gorgeous action/adventure game starring Lara Croft. A girl who goes from being a struggling survivor of a boat crash to a hardened killer almost too quickly. After she is forced to kill someone she is shocked but next thing you know she is stealth killing like a trained assassin. The story is interesting even if some of the characters are two-dimensional and the journals found along the way add to the history and characters on the island. The gameplay is smooth and works just as well as Gears, Mass Effect or any other cover-based shooter. Overall, a really great game with few problems. Can't wait for a sequel! Expand
  24. Dec 23, 2013
    As far as video game reboots go, this is certainly one of the more polished and well executed ones out there, although the direction the series has gone will most likely leave people more familiar with the Tomb Raider games of the 1990s a little disappointed. The direction the series has taken is one of a cover shooter/ action adventure, with tomb raiding being relegated to an optional secondary activity. The main focus is instead on survival, and ultimately trying to escape from the island which Lara and a ship full of sailors and archaeologists have been marooned on. While this new gameplay is entertaining, it does tend to miss out on the charm of older Tomb Raider titles. Puzzles are very few and far between, and almost non-existent outside of the optional tombs. Instead, the developers have opted for lots and lots of collectables.

The gameplay is enjoyable, the collectables and optional tombs give something other than the main plot to focus on, and the upgradeable weapons and xp make the game pleasantly addictive. There are quicktime events, but unlike certain previous games in the Tomb Raider franchise, they're relatively unobtrusive. There are however a few gripes. In an attempt to keep players interested once the plot was finished, the game is designed in a way that prevents players from fully upgrading their weapons without grinding, and prevents easily finding all of the collectables during the course of the story. Seemingly in an attempt to urge the player to continue the story and not bother looking around until later, lighting levels are kept low throughout the course of the campaign. As somebody who doesn't care to play a single player game once the story is over, attempting to find all of the collectables in the dark before finishing the story was incredibly frustrating. As far as the story goes, there are also a few issues with Lara's character development. Mostly, it becomes a bit difficult to take the absurd level of abuse hurled at Lara seriously after a while. It makes sense to show Lara enduring physical and emotional pain, this is a prequel, it's meant to show how Lara grew into who she was in the other Tomb Raider games. That said, there's a fine line between character building and throwing enough physical trauma at a character to kill them 20 times over, and this game has the latter.

Overall however, despite its flaws, it must be said that this is a well polished, and very fun game, and certainly one worth checking out. It's not perfect, but it's a fitting reboot to an old franchise, even if it does seem to be changing what the series is about.
  25. Dec 21, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a strong reboot for the franchise. It has great gameplay and story. The multiplayer is not great, but that is by far not the reason to not buy this game.
  26. Dec 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed playing this game. They did a most awesome job with the animation as Lara moves smoothly from shooting to melee combat, and traverses obstacles with ease and grace. Switching weapons is perhaps the best I've seen in any game nowadays. Graphics are great, voice acting superb and the storyline is engaging. Collecting salvage was actually enjoyable seeing how you are a survivor and everything you find is needed makes sense, not just senseless scavenger hunts that I detest in most games. The only problem I had was that the QTE was overplayed in some boss battles for dramatic effect instead of letting the player decide how to fight. Overall, bravo! I hope this series continues in the next-gen! Expand
  27. Dec 9, 2013
    Extra ordinary game very very good in graphics and a killer reboot
    Underworld and other tomb raider games are nothing front of it. Overall 10/10 from me
  28. Dec 5, 2013
    Game was just plain excellent, Firstly to talk about the little things, your free running skills have been polished wonderfully and respond pretty much exactly as you intended the majority of the time, salvaging and upgrading weapons and skills is easy and fun but engaging enough for you to want to do it. Collectibles are manageable and don't just feel like a time waste to be completed after the game is over and the enemies attack with real intent and different strategies. The shooter and combat are well honed and the finishers and deaths are brutal but engaging all the while driven by an intense and riveting storyline made immersive through heart pumping quicktime events. I loved every moment of this game. (did not touch the multiplayer cannot comment) Expand
  29. Nov 29, 2013
    Tomb Raider is one hell of a surprise. It layers down attitude, gameplay and amazing world content. I wasent expecting this game to be so good. But the problem is mostly that is its too easy. Way too easy. I read a review before i bought it and also contained a whole lot of complains considering the difficulty and AI. And i can agree too 100%. Its like laughable at some point.

Your still a "tank" even when your playing on the hardest difficulty. I finished the game almost with only the bow and fire arrows. I managed to only use weapons 10-20% of the game. Its like the plasma cutter from Dead Space.

Even tho its lacking AI and difficulty, it got some nice environment and fun gameplay.

I recommend this game, but only if you rent it or buy a used copy.
  30. Nov 20, 2013
    this is another game that had a terrible story but thanks to the great gameplay and exploration tomb raider can be a great game of this good year of the videogames.
  31. Nov 18, 2013
    A good reboot of the Tomb Raider series, everything was good apart from the ending which was very anti-climatic. Still the new cinematic style and personality that they have given the game makes it into a very enjoyable experience.
  32. Nov 7, 2013
    What pisses me off the most about this game, is how fast everyone forgot about it. I'm amazed at this game's impact on the gaming community and its production value. This easily tops most games in 2013 and I'd go as far as saying its a contender for video game of the year, up there with Last of Us and GTA 5. I am not a big fan of linear adventure games, and I love the fact that it does give some freedom with open world mechanics, but considering I'm not a Tomb Raider fan nor a big fan of the genre this has to be one of the best games I've played in 2013.

I'm more of a completely open world RPG choose your own dialog gamer, but preference aside I did find myself coming back to this game trying to collect all the juicy items. And this game has stayed true the title, its called Tomb Raider and that is exactly what you do. The story is very well written, even though I got VERY annoyed with the rescue missions and the lack of mission variety, I still had fun. How many times do people get captured? I lost count. And while others complain that Lara is too whiny and girly unlike the other games, I love the fact that she acts like a real human being and she gets stronger as the game progresses. She's not Master Chief or Dante, she can die... and that adds tension to the game. No more indestructible badass sex symbol, there is some realism behind this title.

And ohh man the graphics, I'm not one to demand great graphics in games... hell I don't even need them. Jedi Knights of the Old Republic and Fallout 3 had horrible graphics but they are my favorite games. Still I got admit I was awe struck at the level of artistry the graphics provide in this game. Hardest things to do in games Lip sync, hair, water and light/shadows all done beautifully. My only real issue is the multi-player, why waste resources on such an out of place game mode that no one was expecting? How about co-op tomb raiding with friends where you need to work together to solve puzzles and progress to harder tombs? Like a Portal 2 type co-op puzzles but with Tomb Raider mechanics instead of portal guns and throw some baddies in the tombs for us to shoot. Bam perfect! But... no we have a Tomb Raider Call of Duty mode instead... guess its better than nothing.

Still 9.5/10 for me the -.5 was for the CoD multiplayer had that not been there it would be my rare 10/10 I've only given to such games like The Walking Dead, The Last of Us, Fallout 3, JKOTOR 1 and The Witcher 2
  33. Oct 11, 2013
    I don't know if I've ever been more pleasantly surprised by a game. This game needs to be in the discussion for game of the year. It plays a lot like the uncharted series which are some of my favorite games. The graphics are amazing, the controls are fluid, and the atmosphere of the game is incredible. The game really makes you feel Lara's pain throughout. I can't say enough about this game.
  34. Oct 9, 2013
    Redefining what's possible on XBOX360, this game shows off next-gen graphics with absolutely flawless gameplay. The story is gripping, told with excellent voice acting, supported by a moving score and in a fully immersive manner I've never seen transitions between gameplay and in-engine "cinematic" done quite this well. The level design is cohesive yet varied it's remarkable how none of the levels feel like your usual copy/paste or cliched video game tropes. The story and action flow with a nice, natural pace. Puzzle mechanics are tightly integrated into the game world, they don't feel pasted on in terms of physics. Fighting is brutal, realistic and satisfying. I am very impressed with the results of being able to die easily and how it increases identification with the character. Weapons are varied, with resulting gameplay differences and individual upgrade paths that actually make physical sense! Incredible consistency, again contributing to immersion. There are moments in the game where the graphics will take your breath away, and there are some deeply satisfying moments in storytelling. I'll add that even the UX is fantastically well integrated with easy to navigate but fully integrated panels all the way through, none of your typical "let's rip you out of immersion and into some old-fashioned flash UX". All in all, the perfect game. I'll add that if this game had been called "The adventures of young Mary Jane" with no reference to the TR franchise, it'd still have been perfect. Tying it into the Croft Universe promises many great sequels and enriches what is already a game without peer. Thank you to the team who made this you achieved perfection :D Expand
  35. Sep 22, 2013
    Enjoyable game with an above average story and great spectacle. Tomb Raider is the reboot of the famous series of the same name. It is about Lara Croft's first adventure, the one that defined her and turned her into the unshakable badass she is in the originals.

In terms of gameplay, this is a very good third person shooter with stealth elements, and some enjoyable platforming. Very
    similar to Uncharted in that respect. You only have four weapons which you can upgrade throughout the game, and while this may sound boring, what else would you want outside of a shotgun, pistol, bow and machine gun? A different type of machine gun? The gunplay is fairly good, nothing amazing, but above average. The shotgun feels strangely weak when you actually use it outside of blowing destroyable walls with it. The platforming is fun, and the more cinematic scenes work extremely well with the platforming. The game is not very difficult aside from a few scenes which are shockingly difficult out of nowhere, although it could be more due to my extreme incompetence. I have not seen hard mode yet. The game is linear in a branching world. You will always go down pathways as the storyline dictates, similar to the PS2 action adventure Kya: Dark Lineage in that respect. The game is covered in quicktime events, although they are pretty lenient, and you'd need to reactions of a sloth to fail them. It is nowhere near as bad as Resident Evil in that respect.

The soundtrack isn't incredible, with only a few great tracks, the rest just being acceptable.
    The graphics are nothing special, even for 360, but with how wide and open the areas appear (they are not actually wide open outside of the forest areas, which are pretty small) its understandable. The water effects look especially awful to a laughable degree.
    Story is above average, with great writing. It's heavily based around the supernatural tho, something not shown in the trailers.
    People have been complaining the platforming is way too easy compared to the old Tomb Raider games. Honestly, that's a good thing, they had stupid amounts of pixel perfect jumps in the old games, which were made worse by the delay before actually leaving the ground. Not going back to that is always a good thing in my books.

Overall, a great game worse playing, but it is nor the greatest game ever made nor a literary masterpiece. Just a really good game.
  36. Sep 19, 2013
    This game is on another level. I played the original Tomb Raider trilogy back int he PS1 days and this is a much needed reboot. Great story, great gameplay, must have!
  37. Sep 15, 2013
    BLEH. This game is nothing but a Uncharted clone, all you do throughout the game is shoot people, yo know, that thing TOMB RAIDER HAS NEVER BEEN ABOUT. Every Tomb Raider game before this one was all about the platforming challenges. Sure some games had more more combat than others, but in every other Tomb Raider game the platforming is the most important aspect. There is little to no platforming in this game. Whenever there is it is incredibly bland and uninteresting. Also this game is filled to the brim with scripted events.Which may look cool the first time you play the game, but if you play through the game multiple times they get very annoying.

Graphically it looks pretty, But the character models to look rather jaggy and look like there was not as much effort put into them as the environments. Which look great. The soundtrack is nothing memorable. unlike previous titles which often had awesome soundtracks.
    The story is okay, but none of the characters, excluding Lara, have any character development and are really uninteresting.

This games biggest problem is it's length and difficulty, this game is pathetically short and pathetically easy, It took me a day to finish this game the first time I played it. Overall this game is... Decent, nothing special. Recommend it to fans of Uncharted,Tomb Raider fans, and casual gamers.
  38. Aug 29, 2013
    This was my very first foray into a Tomb Raider game, so aside from the Angelina Jolie-led films, I really had no idea what to expect.

Tomb Raider is a true reboot, starting from what seems to be Lara Croft's first expedition to find a historic landmark that is as legendary as the Bermuda Triangle. The story unfolds in such a way that you truly start connection with Lara along with her
    coworkers as you unfold the mystery alongside her. You find clues strewn about levels along with GPS markers and artifacts which increase XP and allow you to upgrade your abilities and weapons.

As someone who immensely enjoyed using a bow and arrow in Skyrim, I loved the bow action here in Tomb Raider, but I also found myself switching to the other weapons as well. The caves in TR require puzzle solving, but it's nothing too complex that will be too frustrating for the average gamer, yet is still challenging enough for the veteran gamer.

The graphics are beautiful, the sounds crisp, and the gameplay rewarding and enjoyable. There is nothing that isn't engaging, and few missteps here. A flawless game, this is definitely a shining gem of 2013.
  39. Aug 28, 2013
    Funny game, made me lost some hours of my life trying to catch everything. A good reboot, much more fun than the old titles. Keep in this way and TB 2 or 3 can became a shiny gamer jewel.
  40. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, I thought this was an excellent game. Lara purists may be disappointed with the new game, arguing that it is not really a Tomb Raider game any more. However, I really enjoyed the reimagining of Lara, particularly the storyline. OK, so Lara moves from frightened post-graduate to cold-blooded killer a bit too quickly but, hey, this is still a videogame, people! There will always be plot-holes as story needs to make way for gameplay occasionally! In fact, I would argue that Crystal Dynamics currently "do" survival horror a lot better than Capcom and their very average Resi 6. Can't say I was sh*tting my pants too many times with Redfield et al, but I certainly was with Lara. The sense of danger is something I have not experienced for a while, and the satisfaction of stealth kills and clearing an area silently takes me back to the Kojima glory days of the PS1/2. Well done to Rihanna Pratchett and the other contributors for a great storyline. A modern and thoughtful take on a heroine and origin story.

I also liked the fact that there was a constant danger to your crew-mates. Moreover, we didn't get the stereotypical action-horror-movie ending where only Lara would survive a few crew members did survive with Lara. Where they didn't, the death scenes were often poignant and memorable. There seemed to be a reason for people to sacrifice themselves.

Combat is smooth. Some of the weapons seem to have a sprinkler system fitted to the end of the barrel but I guess that is to be expected when you have a levelling-up system attributed to weapons skills. You're a bit crap. The weapons are a bit crap. Spray happens. Played in on Normal and there were a few bits where I was sweating but nowhere where I felt that I was getting frustrated. If I get spotted and then cornered/rushed then that was my own fault and probably quite realistic in terms of my chances of survival being slim.

Collectibles are very addictive here. Some expand the storyline in interesting ways and I enjoyed finding them. Again, they never seemed to be in too-hard-to-reach areas as they have been in the past. e.g. an impossible jump leading to an invisible wall etc etc. That's the right level of challenge. The WWII stuff was particularly interesting.

Which leads me to the island itself. Yes a star in itself. Beautiful scenery and some amazing set-pieces. The ship graveyard and the climb to the top of the radio tower are obvious highlights. But the level design is a triumph easy to navigate, interesting to explore, and with the added bonus of being able to return with more powerful tools to find new locations within previous maps. Really well done to the level designers the island felt real, tangible and a bit spooky.

I quite liked the lack of supernatural enemies. It brought a "realness" and a grittiness to proceedings. Having to shoot a mummy with twin pistols can seem a bit far-fetched! The enemy AI was pretty good. The sub-bosses were interesting, challenging, without being frustrating. Mathias is a d*ck. 97% of people must have seen through his crap at the campfire with Sam we all knew he was a raging psycho from the moment we met him! Surely?

Is the violence over the top? Not for me. I am an adult gamer in his 30s who started gaming waaaaay back in the early 80s. I've grown up. I now want to play adult games. I don't care for titillation (though I do play DOA games! lol) but I do care about imaginative, well-structured storylines and characters. And if that means that we go to uncomfortable places then so be it. It's a crime that videogames are censored, or banned, in certain countries and we should be grateful to the BBFC for allowing the majority of content to stand in the UK. Unfortunately, the majority of politicians have no clue about the demographics of those people that play videogames. If movies can explore difficult and challenging subjects then so should videogames. I was appalled at some of the violence, and THAT rape scene (which wasn't actually as bad as it was made out to be), and I should be. We need emotion in videogames. I'm a human being, fairly well-balanced I think, and this helps to tell a story and craft memorable characters. We need developers like Crystal Dynamics to promote this idea that videogames are adult entertainment. I just hope that parents didn't buy this game for their kids thinking that it was akin to the old Tomb Raider games. Then again, they were pretty brutal back in their day anyway. Lara the killer! It was just the lack of graphics that made it seem less than it was.

To all those game developers who think that multiplayer is an important component of modern AAA games... IT IS NOT! Don't bother wasting time and resources crafting a MP addition to a game where it is unwarranted! You have wasted the time of obviously talented individuals and that time could have been better-spent on enriching the single-player experience or providing some decent DLC! [/rant] Thank you.
  41. Aug 17, 2013
    WOW....... Did I say WOW.... God of War meets Uncharted meets Prince of Persia. Controls are great, story is half decent, graphics are awesome, pacing is perfect..... Online is kinda of beat but other than that this game is one you should definitely play.
  42. Aug 13, 2013
    By all means this is a good and enjoyable game with a decent story length 10-12 hours) and an island you can spend many hours exploring, but there are a few noticeable clucks that can't just be ignored such as a poor story with cheesy and very predictable. But gameplay is fun and flows well, the cover system is fresh and easy to use. Action is fast paced and can become overwhelming at points which makes the player really feel Lara is fighting for her life. The skill level up and weapon improvement system is a little unfinished and could do with improvement. With a few clunks and weak story this game falls short of being great but is very enjoyable, action packed, good set pieces with good graphics this game warrants a sequel and I for one look forward to it. Expand
  43. Aug 9, 2013
    I have previously played Tomb Raider games on PC but I didn't have much interest. After 5 mins I would quit playing it, I saw something different about this game, I bought it right out the self. It was one of the best games I've played so far, everything about it was amazing. I wish i wasn't so short though
  44. Aug 5, 2013
    It was fun, beautiful, challenging, and had a timely ending. I could not have asked for a better revamp of the Laura Croft series. It was fairly linear, but usually story games are. I would rather have a linear story over side quests. The beginning is hella scary and got my heart racing. At the end you are feeling like a boss, but not too OP. Oh, and some of the death scenes were a laugh, but understandably laughable. You'll see. Of course you're going to buy this game. Unless, you know, you're a chauvinist. Expand
  45. Jul 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, the story wasn't always focused but delivered clear character development. It was a great reboot and origin story as well as a standalone game.
  46. Jul 27, 2013
    Tomb Raider has various things going for it. Good voice acting on the part of Lara, fast paced gameplay that keeps the action going, a pseudo-crafting system that also adds a gathering mechanic, tons of collectables, strong visuals, and dynamic map environments. The one thing that was incredibly disappointing was the story! It was alright up until the point where they throw in their "twist", which is impossible to miss when you're playing the game. After that, I couldn't take the game seriously. The combat also gets very easy towards the last 1/2 to 3/4 of the game, when by then you should have everything mostly leveled/upgraded and all the skills that are actually useful unlocked. Hearing Lara's overemphasized groaning and screams the entire game also gets really old really fast. I felt no connection to anyone besides Lara, and even then it wasn't too strong. The game does collectables really well however; each of them has a small bit of dialogue containing actual information about the object that you've found. The platforming is exceptional. I never found myself getting frustrated trying to jump a certain way or find my way around the immense map. The semi-open world experience is also done well, allowing you to fast travel around to the different areas in case you missed one of the secret Tombs or a collectable. AI is good and provides a challenge at some points if you play the game on Hard difficulty. The game is of a decent length. I never got around to checking how long it took me to beat the game but I would assume it was around 12-16 hours or so. All in all, it's a solid game that takes a hit because of it's lackluster characters and, in my opinion, downright stupid story. Expand
  47. Jul 26, 2013
    Mediocre mass-appealing third -person action

The relaunched Tomb Raider was a bit of a disappointment for myself, but or rather since- it struggles to appeal to a great many people.
    The game features are a jounger lara croft who shipwrecks on a misterious island with her band of support characters. While uncovering the secrets of the inhabitants and weird happenings on the island Ms.
    Croft explores, puzzles, collects and fights her way through a game, that promised a more story driven and emotionally engaging experience than what Tomb Raider stood for in the past.
    The major Flaw this game suffers from is inconsistency. While the cutscenes make you feel like you are in mortal danger and have to strive for the very survival, the gameplay doesn't convey that.
    Granted, if you interpret this as the process of a character growing from a scared bookwortm into a gun tooting killing machine, it kind of makes sense, but there is not enough connection between the gameplay and the presented cinematics to actually make that part of the experience. I did not really feel threatened when minutes after covering herself crying and freezing next to a campfire Lara mows down wave after wave of grunts with extraordinary efficiency and no remorse at all.

Scond point of inconsistency directly ties in to that: the lack of difficulty. Appearantly, Ms. Croft fears death a whole lot, as shown by her coughing and sobbing extensively. But as it turns out, she can recover from a shotgun blast to the face quite easily by hiding for a few moments. Unless her wounds were inflicted in a cutscene, wich requires serious ammounts of ignoring it. You don't need food beyond the first deer you hunt, ammunition is plenty and you get autosave-restarts at every slightly harder plattforming sequence. Being crafty and survival-y isn't really required. On top af a button that shows points of interest highlighted, The Game holds your hand extensively, showing the required buttons and actions at every possible moment. New skills are introduced at a relatively slow pace, but you get plenty of time applying them in the later game, so that's not neccesarily a bad thing. What bothered me though was that some puzzles are actually solved by Lara just telling you the solution with her inside voice. I really hated that, wich makes the puzzles not even stand out between the not so enyoyable batles.

Crafting is the third point of inconsistency that ultimately made me enyoy this reboot less than its predesessors. Whule craftin weapons and enhancing them with parts you find an the corresponding ammount of parts is quite fun and rewardung I find myself not really inclined tho further Laras skills. The Reason for tha lies in some questionally design choices. You kann kill each and every human enemy once he has fallen to his knees from thes start. Our Heroine just grabs a stone and smashes the skull of the poor sap. With experience, she learns do do the same thing with her axe or guns for a higher XP award. Again, if you want to interpret that as developement into a ruthless killing machine, it's a story that can be told, but why am I, as the player responsible for the protaginist axing a Person instead of just stone-bashing him or her(there are no female enemies anyways)?

Got the game because I was told there was actual exploring and classical "Tomb Raider-ing" aside of the story, but it turns out, the optional Tombs are rather small in scale and not that hard to master.

I wouldn't recoment the reboot, since the three entries the series had before it outshine it in ervery respect. Get Anniversary, its much better, or Legend and Underworld.
  48. Jul 23, 2013
    I'm annoyed I didn't buy this game earlier. Everything about this game is top class and once you complete it you will feel like you have been through so much. Highly recommend!
  49. Jul 17, 2013
    Lol. Check it out. There are 58 people who don't like amazing games. Weird... Anyway. Awesome game through and through. Like playing a movie! Will play through again.
  50. Jul 15, 2013
    The most fun I had in a game for a while the environments look stunning and beautiful game play is some of the best I've seen in a third person shooter it is a must have.
  51. Jul 11, 2013
    Tomb Raider was my childhood game, and I have mixed emotions after compleating it. These are pluses and minuses of the game: Pluses: -New, rebooted Lara - Interesting story and well sripted storyline - Upgrade system -Voice Acting Minuses: - Unused potential of survival - There are about 5 riddles to solve - Even if it is badass Lara Croft, sometimes her strenght and endurance is too much unrealistic
    - Closed, small island and only 5 6 secret tombs
    - Exploring does not give satisfacion like in Legend, or Anniversary

All in all, new Tomb Raider is well game, but it's not that exciting as previous from the series.
  52. Jul 9, 2013
    Tomb Raider is outstanding. One of the greatest games I have played. It was a very memorable experience and I am looking forward to future Tomb Raider releases after this reboot.
  53. Jul 4, 2013
    Portato a termine anche il nuovissimo Tomb Raider l'ora di Dead Space 3 e DmC Devil May Cry, sempre su XBOX 360. La nuova avventura di Lara Croft senza dubbio un lavoro encomiabile da parte di Crystal Dynamics anche se ho notato che diverse piccole cose sono state riprese da Far Cry 3. Resta tuttavia un'ottimo gioco nel suo genere, capace di tenere coinvolto il giocatore nell'evolversi delle vicende seppur il tutto si muova con una certa linearità con ottime sequenze "cinematografiche". Il gameplay confrontabile a quanto visto con Uncharted, sviluppato ulteriormente da una maggiore fluidità dei movimenti e possibilità molteplici di interazione con oggetti dell'ambiente. Lo consiglio vivamente a chiunque e mi riservo di elogiarlo come uno dei migliori videogiochi usciti nel 2013! Expand
  54. Jul 2, 2013
    10/10: Excellent and fun game. No spoiler review: practically every element of this game is fun: exploring, the physics puzzles (and I usually dislike game puzzles), shooting, climbing, etc. If you like Uncharted but find it clunky you will love Tomb Raider because the gameplay is fun. The visuals and sound design are also excellent. There are many memorable moments of gameplay--the kind that make we want to replay a game every few years, like I do with the Mass Effect series. The only downsides: the story could have been better and some of the voice acting is flat (but they have few lines). Expand
  55. Jun 30, 2013
    Wow.... So I just finished the game after putting off buying it for awhile as lets be honest some of the past few tomb raider games have been terrible. Well the bad streak is officially over. Tomb Raider is an extremely emotional adventure in how Lara Croft became who she is today. You can see her grow into her role throughout the game as she becomes more BA. The story itself is interesting however honestly the main plot will be easy to figure out in the first few hours of game play. However the game does an amazing job of just giving you enough information and making you want to find every little detail.

One of my favorite things is when you collect the relics you can inspect them further and about 1/3 of the items have additional info attached to them. Also you upgrade your weapons as the game progresses making spending the time to explore well rewarded. I haven't played a collect-em 90s style adventure game made this well in awhile.

So far, this is my 2013 game of the year over bioshock the last of us.
  56. Jun 24, 2013
    As not being a fan of previous Tomb Raiders, I gave this a shot as it was a reboot of the crappy stuff previously released. Overall, it's good. The collectibles arn't crazy hard to locate, the upgrade trees are extensive, and the combat system isn't bad with plenty of options. Definately worth a play.
  57. Jun 23, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a really cool game where you play as an awesome and badass woman and she gets to kill all men on an island.

Great game. Ten out of Ten.
  58. Jun 21, 2013
    Everything has to have a reboot these days, so now it’s Tomb Raider’s turn. Granted, if a franchise was ever in serious need of a new take on it, it most assuredly is the Tomb Raider franchise. Now, I like the Tomb Raider games and have enjoyed all of them (with the exception of Angel of Darkness, though it had some good ideas), but let’s face it, the franchise was getting a bit long in the tooth, so I applauded Crystal Dynamics when they told us what the game was going to be.
    So, is the end result any good or is it another Angel of Darkness?
    Luckily the answer is that there is no Angel in sight! As a matter of fact, it’s a damn fine game.
    The first thing that strikes you, is how different the style is from the other games of the franchise. Lara is no longer the carefree, thrill seeking, overly confident action heroine we have gotten used to and love. Now, she is a somewhat naïve, adventure seeking, young, insecure, vulnerable woman who finds herself in a kill or be killed struggle for survival. A special shout out has to go to Camilla Luddington playing Lara who manages to perfectly mesh together the young Lara’s vulnerability and insecurity with the “kick butt and take names” attitude of the old Lara, making her quite a credible and sympathetic character to play.
    The gameplay has also changed somewhat as the caves and ancient ruins, though they are there, have largely been replaced by mountains, woods and more modern structures, all adding to a more gritty overall style. The shooting has been vastly improved. Rather than the lock-on system of old we now have the very familiar controls of any third person shooter, which to me is a good thing as I always found the shooting to be the weakest part of the Tomb Raider franchise, making the shooting sections a lot more satisfying. This fact combined with overall good and responsive controls, reasonable enemy AI, interesting and varied levels to explore and some good characters and an at least interesting story (if not close to original) which is extremely well presented, you’ve got one of the best games released in 2013 so far.
    However, I do have a few problems with this game.
    The hunting aspect is used only once. The rest of the “hunting” is not to get food, but simply to gain experience which seems like a bit of a missed opportunity. Why emphasize her first kill of a deer to get food, when it’s not used throughout the rest of the game? I know this scene is used more for character development than anything, but when you then go on a killing spree, slaughtering animals left and right for no other reason than to gain XP, it undermines Lara as it seems a bit out of character, even if there is a limit as to how many animals you can viciously slaughter.
    Secondly, Crystal Dynamics unfortunately seem to have fallen into the “fear-of-people-getting-stuck-so-we-better-hold-them-by-the-hand-like-a-child”-strategy which seems to permeate all triple A titles today. The introduction of the all too pervasive “sixth sense”, enabling you to see all points of interest as fluorescent, takes the exploration factor straight out of a game which actually seems to WANT the player to explore. Rather counterproductive, I would say. What ever happened to the player being able find things on their own without fluorescent lights and holograms guiding them all the way? What are developers so damn afraid of? This is also unfortunately present in the puzzles. Everything that can be manipulated is of course highlighted, but to further dumb down the puzzle aspect (which isn’t exactly rocket science to begin with) Lara will constantly give hints as to what needs to be done. Well, not so much hints, as almost bloody telling you exactly what to do with what and how. Really, Crystal Dynamics? You actually found that necessary in a game which is obviously not targeted at children?
    Lastly, we have the “stealth” parts of the game, which are so guided they might as well have been cutscenes. They do a good job in regard to the story, but not in regard to gameplay as there really are no other places to go than the one the game wants you to. Deviate and die, CoD style. Yet another missed opportunity.
    All of these problems lead to my main problem with Tomb Raider. It’s simply way, way, way too easy. Throughout the entire campaign I died three times. Three! I’m not exactly a joypad wizard, so when 99% of the times I die in a game like this is because I actually wanted to in order to see the rather effective and quite horrid death sequences, then the game is extremely easy.
    Without said problems I would have no problem calling Tomb Raider a classic in it’s genre, but with them it’s just (and this is by no means a bad thing) a very, very good game which deserves a lot of attention and though it feels too guided at times, I still found it extremely enjoyable to follow Lara on her new journey. Now, if Crystal Dynamics could just let go of our hand and go all the way…
  59. Jun 20, 2013
    Excellent game and graphically brilliant.
    The story is good and you get quite attached to the new Lara and her struggle to survive. There's plenty of exploring and searching for collectibles and if done this way, you'll probably rack up 18 hours before you know it. I would like to have been able to start a new game with all the weapons I collected on completetion but no such luck, you can
    continue your original game to carry on finding items to get you 100% completion. Really enjoyed it. Expand
  60. Jun 20, 2013
    This was a good game I liked it but I was bored after a while.I wish there was more to do in it.This is a should buy game its perfect for any gamer to play.
  61. Jun 18, 2013
    I have never played a tomb raider game. So i took a risk in buying this was it the right choice... YES YES YES!!! GAME PLAY is Really fun the weapon choice's are great. your first weapon is a bow then a pistol witch you can upgrade by getting scrap metal there are two other weapons to unlock but i will let you find those. Lara croft looks amazing even of console! BUT the multyplayer lacks a lot. thank you Expand
  62. Jun 17, 2013
    For a game with so much hype surrounding character portrayal the supporting cast is weak. Sassy black chick serves as the critical voice to all the Lara’s concerns over the islands supernatural qualities. Cute Chinese girl functions as a plot device by being kidnapped like athat guy who always disappears in The Hangover films. Large framed and even larger hearted Hawaiian guy keeps everyone’s spirits up while the island’s indigenous shower them all with fire based projectiles. The supporting cast is a too wide and nobody gets enough screen time or engaging dialogue to make a real presence, the main protagonist included. Lara isn’t well fleshed out either. She displays brief turmoil following her first kill, but she soon goes on to find new and outlandish ways to expose the inner craniums of hundreds more men without showing any further remorse or having the excuse of being drugged up to the eye balls like Far Cry 3’s Jason Brody. The writers attempt to book end the narrative with mournful references to her dead dad, but everything in between reads like the script of your average cookie cutter action flick.

A lot of the narrative’s credibility has been tied to the portraying of Lara in a vulnerable light, but this doesn’t instantly make for thoughtful characterizing. If someone rewrote Mansfield Park and recast Fanny Price as a busty gun toting whore I doubt it’d be met with such appraisal, or perhaps it would; Pride and Prejudice and Zombies did alright, but I digress. While we’re talking literature, it’s worth mentioning that Tomb Raider attempts to embellish it’s narrative with collectable diaries and documents la Bioshock, but they don’t embellish it so much as contain every scrap of what could have made this story interesting. Additionally they’re so monotonously voiced and lengthy that players are like to harvest them for xp and swiftly move on. In further regard to the vulnerability aspect of Lara, it’s a tone that fails to resonate when she’s brushing off twenty foot drops every few seconds like some sort of human bouncy ball.

Average writing aside game play isn‘t particularly jaw dropping, not to say that it‘s altogether poor as it functions fluidly, but remains uninspired. The box art is tag lined “A survivor is born” although survival elements are sparse. An opening tutorial has Lara murder and cook Bambi for nourishment. Later a heavily injured Lara has to abandon aggressive modes of combat, instead making use of throw able objects, bow kills and takedowns. However such scenarios were gimmicky and fleeting when instead they could have been more intricate and permanent features.

More often or not oppurtunities to employ stealth are scripted and conclude with forced fire fights in which players need to hunker down in the same spot to pick off foes from behind cover. You can’t give a player the option to approach combat in their way for so long only to snatch it away. That’s like being invited to a dinner party where the first two courses are comprised of lobster and caviar, but turns out that desserts a massive un-optional sandwich.

A.I isn’t too intelligent, take out one enemy by yanking him with rope and arrow from a platform and his buddy two feet away will assume they’ve went for a spontaneous paraglide session. Enemies endlessly gravitate towards flammable barrels like they were full of winning lottery tickets and the island’s rigged with more explosives than a Wile. E. Coyote cartoon so combat soon becomes pretty, but stale.

Environments make impressive use of vertical spaces, but routes for dispatching enemies are persistently linear. Camera angles are occasionally an issue in woodland areas resulting in the player’s view being obscured by more shrubbery than if they were being tea bagged by a tree beard from Lord of the Rings. Woefully enemies can make better use of the vertical spaces than the player during combat and anytime the opportunity to perform impressive manoeuvres arises the game has the nasty habit of cutting to a cinematic or QTE, alarmed that the players satisfaction levels may be spiking.

Out with combat, tomb raiding is optional activity and when the ’tombs’, read ‘small caves’, are encountered they’re usually preceded by long needless crawls towards an area containing remarkably simple puzzles. The purpose of these is supposedly to give the player a long look at Lara’s arse so there goes you feminist angle.

The undeniably present lack of free will displayed in the game’s set pieces leads to the theory that it may have been Crystal Dynamic’s wish to produce a Tomb Raider movie. The abundant use of slow motion, cut-aways and the way the screen goes film noir when Lara takes damage would certainly suggest so. This in mind here’s the alternative to buying the game. Watch one of the old Angelina Jolie films with controller in hand and press the trigger every time Lara wastes some guy.
  63. Jun 14, 2013
    Very nice reboot over the Tomb raider franchise.

It's like a mix between uncharted and batman franchises, picking the best of their latest games.
    The story is entertaining, the exploration and secrets are interesting enough to look for them and technically it's top notch.

Quite recommendable!
  64. Jun 9, 2013
    I remember playing the old Tomb Raider games on the first Playstation, they were great, adventurous, etc etc. You know what I'm talking about...I heard great things about this one and was excited to see what it had to offer.

The game starts out with a wreck, and you have to pretty much escape it and find your crew. To do so, you have to do a whole lot of slow crawling through cracks,
    slow climbing, slow swimming under stuff and through water...out of caves, etc. My little brother was watching me play that part and asked me how it was. I told him the truth, I said "it's boring right now, very boring...but this is just the opening sequences, so I'm sure it'll pick up after I find my crew".

I was wrong...

Turns out the entire game is finding your crew and being stuck on this island. Meaning the environment never changes, the tasks never change, and well...there are a whole lot of very long cut scenes that do most of the work.

As for action, I could probably count the number of bullets I used on one hand. I spent a lot of time trying to upgrade my weapons, for the best gameplay experience. And turns out it was a waste of time. The upgrades are there just to distract you from the fact that you're not doing much of anything in the game. Finding paths to certain places and whatnot isn't tough, and there are a few "puzzle" type moments that are not difficult at all (by 'not difficult' i mean compared to a game that exists in the same world as the very challenging puzzle game "portal").
    All that is really left to do is explore the world and find stuff, right? Well, no, not really...you run out of special abilities to upgrade to, and one is an ability that reveals every cave entrance/diamond/pretty much everything on your map for you. And when you're running around it makes stuff glow on your screen so you can find it, too...taking away the need to explore. So what's left to make the game enjoyable? Nothing...

Overall this was the single most boring game I've ever played. The cut scenes were intriguing though, I'll give it that...even if they were very very long. And it's nice to see Laura become the Tomb Raider we all know and love. But, if they really wanted to make a cut scene oriented origin story, then I think they should've just made an animated series instead and then released a 'real' game for us to play.
  65. Jun 9, 2013
    Okay enough with the Uncharted comparisons critics, sheesh. Tomb Raider is one of the finest platformers to come out in some time and it definitely stands on it's own. You take control of a young Lara Croft who get's stranded along with her ship mates on a (supposedly) deserted island. There is a legend surrounding the history of the island, and let's just say that the story throughout the game is very solid and keeps you guessing. When Lara starts out, she seems a little frail and apprehensive. However once you navigate a few caverns, collect some loot and hone your hunting skills, Lara quickly turns into the fierce killing tigress that she was always meant to be. Collecting and then upgrading weapons is fun and eventually you'll feel like a genuine bad-azz, dispatching the local thugs with ease and. Speaking of the thugs, they can seem slightly repetitive after a while, but I'm just glad Crystal Dynamics stretched the campaign out as long as they did. In a day and age where COD games routinely release with puny 4 hour campaigns, Tomb Raider is fairly lengthy.
    The console versions have great graphics, but the PC version with Tress FX enabled is truly a sight to behold. When this game ends you will be sad. It really sucks to see the ending to one of the best platformers in the genre, and Lara's tight little body will burn a place in your memory until the next Tombs need a Raidin'..
    P.S.
    Sorry if the last sentence in my review seems slightly pervy or whatever, it's my first review.
  66. Jun 8, 2013
    I bought this game (along with DIshonored, Far Cry 3, Halo 4, Bioshock Infinite, Call do Duty Black Ops 2, Call of Juarez Ginslinger, Tom Clancy Future soldier, and Medal of Honor Warfighter, along with a few others). I like Tomb Raider (so far) for what it is versus anything others think it should be. Tomb Raider is like Far Cry 3 but a little more puzzle-based (especially figuring out the right combo of buttons, stick movement), easier to kill foes, and a more linear based story. I dislike Halo 4 other than the breathtaking graphics. I play Black Ops 2, future soldier and gunslinger when I'm in a shooter mood with a little variety. But those times when I want a game similar to those games, but with more puzzle solving and less shooting and something more "simple", linear, Tomb Raider definitely solves the craving. It's a game that can leave you stuck on a section until you can get down the correct timing of pushing buttons on the remote versus stuck because of any strategic difficulty or killing of foe. i like this. All the games I've mentioned are worthy games I will never regret buying. Tomb Raider though is the one Game i play when it fits the right craving. I like the simple upgrading, the camp ground as the "shop" to do everything, the fire/torch to add a new twist, the ability to skip long sequences (although skipping them can leave a bit of initial confusion on what to do). There were a few frustrating times when the game didn't respond to the joystick movement which meant replaying a short (thankfully not long) kill sequence but this is really minor for a well done game which has kept me busy for several days already. I initially thought it might be a great game for my 10 year old niece but the deer hunting/gutting were a small, small amount of upsetting for a 10 year old (she likes fable 3). This game is fun and it's a game I enjoy playing for a few hours before switching to another. The graphics were slightly less sharp than I wish (I really like Far Cry 3). Since both games have a very, very high radio tower to climb, you can see the difference when climbing to the top (Far Cry 3 will leave you breathless). For the $30 I payed for Tomb Raider on demand, it was definitely worth the money for the entertainment so far even if the story does drag on a bit and there are some lengthy cut-scenes. Still, it's like watching a descent adventure movie where I get to make a difference and solve some puzzles along the way that are not so horribly difficult that I can't come back to the game and eventually figure them out (unlike Metro 2033 and some other games where I get frustrated enough to put the game on the shelf until I have time to google how to solve the part I'm stuck on). Tomb Raider did a really nice job of taking an old, worn character and give her new life with a now 3rd person enjoyable game that makes you feel things that you should feel when playing this kind of game (i really dislike the older tomb raider style games). Like Far Cry 3, they did a lot of things right with this game which far out-weigh any minor flaws. I just wish they had done a little better with some of the graphics. They are like "almost" great but slightly shy of being mouth dropping awesome. Some scenes are worth seeing in the game while others seem to be average typical in a game. Expand
  67. Jun 7, 2013
    This is huge. The graphics are stunning and the story just as great. Surviving, defeating enemies and collecting documents and improving weapons have never been more interesting! This is Lara's greatest adventure and the best Tomb Raider to date.
  68. Jun 1, 2013
    this game is great!, we finally get to see how lara becomes the adventurer she is today, the story is engaging, combat is excellent, platforms are also great, puzzles are good not too hard but not too easy, i really liked this game! awesome characters, great accion, voice acting is great too, if you have not bought this game yet i recommend that you should
  69. May 31, 2013
    I have been a fan since the original Tomb Raider on the Playstation One. This new installment really hit the mark. The story is great, the characters are very well developed. Lara Croft is back and better than ever. Tomb Raider needed a fresh new look and Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics really outdid themselves this time.
  70. May 29, 2013
    Tomb raider is a great game. Easily the best game of 2013 so far with bio shock coming at close 2nd. Tomb raider tells an incredible prequel story. It is is exciting, fun, sad and unexpected and a must play through for anyone who enjoys adventure games. I'm someone who is not a big fan of uncharted and I have never been a big fan of tom raider until now. It is a beautifully made game a lot of care and love has went into the graphics, they have changed the way Lara looks without completely reinventing her. The game a,so manages to create a very emotional story with many characters who join Lara on this journey some are likeable but some are not well fleshed out but it doesn't effect the emotion er and power in this story.gameplay is fun and easy to learn even after climbing and jumping for six hours you will still be scared while climbing but in an exciting way. Combat has been nailed in this game it follows your standard 3rd person shooting mechanic there is not a lot of fighting in this game however if there is one thing I didn't like was I found some fighting moments to be frustrating and unfair but who really cares about that. Tomb raider is an incredible game and a great competitor with uncharted and if this is how tomb raider is going to be made from now on they have a new fan. Expand
  71. May 29, 2013
    I have never played any Tomb Raider game before. And I decided to give this game a go. And it was amazing. I love Lara's development from a timid, fragile girl becoming a bad ass killer, merciless, survivor. The story was great, well-written, maybe a little bit cheesy sometimes. However, her friends' character development are weak. I love the gameplay a lot. It is an amazing game, and probably one of the best games of 2013 Expand
  72. May 21, 2013
    Series reboots seem to be all the rage at present but Tomb Raider can certainly be held as an example of how to do it right. Series purists will argue that there is a little too much focus on combat at the expense of platforming but, for me at least, Lara Croft's first adventure struck mostly the right balance providing thoroughly enjoyable gameplay throughout is ten hour running time.

A promising start and I’ll certainly be looking out for the sequel.
  73. May 18, 2013
    I can't believe this is the new Lara i mean she hate tombs,The story is nothing to do with tombs.The old Lara and her persona was way better,story was better king arthur,mystic tombs,This game should be called the "Lost Island" or something similar.
  74. May 17, 2013
    Pretty awesome if you want my opinion. I played the game for 11 hours straight. I rented it from a redbox so I definitely got my moneys worth. Anyway I have never been a big tomb raider fan but this game converted me. I was pleased.
  75. May 17, 2013
    This isn't really a game, more of an interactive cinematic experience. Everything you do is scripted and linear, it's almost impossible to die and you can't influence outcomes by your actions. You can complete huge swaths of the game by simply pressing forward on the gamepad and watching Lara pull off death defying moves traversing burning environments or parascending through dense forest, but it's all completely disconnected from your actions on the controller. The times you have control in the open environments are enjoyable, but unfortunately too limited by the requirement to progress the story.

The story is compelling, but I want a game with real gameplay and a Tomb Raider with challenging puzzles like in the old days...not an animated film/game hybrid with a sweaty controller in my hand.
  76. May 16, 2013
    This is a great game. I've previously played a lot of tomb raiders and this is by far the best. Great graphics and cinematic game play keep you clenched to your seat. You never know what to expect with each cut scene! Movement has greatly been improved. Customizable weapons are at you disposal, so you can progress faster in the game! Beautiful cinematic views and great area locations. Great physics along with great orchestrated music. Complete 100% of the game and review tons of game art. Definitely will make Game of the year list of 2013! If your looking for a game that pulls you in right from the beginning, then is game is for you! Expand
  77. May 15, 2013
    This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty, in your face revenge killer who searches for long lost treasures).

The game, most especially in the opening, is not completely littered with cut-scenes. However, they are common. Most notably, they are common without being destructive to any degree. They flawlessly wedge their way into the gameplay, incorporating even the semi-common slow motion action and button mash scenes that, yes, make no sense. However, the designer is keeping you enthralled.

By making the introduction interesting and keeping out repetitive wash and action, they don't overwhelm you with terrible cut scenes like most games, only to then destroy your senses through implementation of overplayed and overly familiar battle scenes. They acknowledge the fact that most battles in a single game will be dramatically representative of each other, but do so without making them drab or useless.

The story alone is worth 10 points. The beautiful graphics (playing on eyefinity, 3-monitors. its ok to be jelous), matched to the not entirely linear story only reinforces that rating. Puzzles make sense without being blatantly obvious. And a modern feel of experience for weapon upgrades and skill, resembling Croft's jump into the busty destruction we are all familiar with from her soft past, make for a modern game with a historic feel, all without giving you the handicap all games seem to be giving you.

Also, the lacking downloadable content remind me that this company is the last one to remind us that the cost of the game is about the story, playability, replayability, and enjoyment...Not about making extra bucks and changing their name to Blizzard Entertainment, all while holding ourselves in public because, hey, we are Blizzard and we don't care about you. Now pay us for this reskinning.

Lets just hope companies will follow in these footsteps and do the right thing. Make art that is enjoyable, accurate, and destructively fun.

As said, the execution is almost incredibly flawless. However, the one thing I can't get over is the fact that they gave her a "mountain axe" (its called an ice tool); enabling her to throw 1/8cm steel straight into rock and pull it out again without bringing any damage to the tool. This is just depressing since i have been ice climbing most my life and know exactly the limitations.

No, this shouldn't bother me. But I could expect this in an Indie game and not a game where, despite the legend they try to bring to life in Yamatai, the developers did their homework. All they needed to do was call Petzl (the company they obviously got the design from) and ask, "how do you use this?"
  78. May 13, 2013
    Simply an excellent game. I spent two days off of work and finished the whole game because I couldn't stop going. The combat really shines as the game goes on, the visuals were beautiful, and the story was enough to keep you interested. Its games like these that should be the foundation for the next generation. Well done.
  79. May 12, 2013
    To put it simply, this game is amazing. In the latest instalment of the tomb raider franchise, you play as a younger Lara Croft. Without revealing too much of the storyline, the crew of the Endurance become stranded on a Japanese island. From the minute you land on the island, you realise the sheer beauty that the developers of this game have pulled off. The Island is covered in lush forest and mountains tower over you. In the first five minutes you experience some of the great quick-time event sequences that are scattered throughout the game.

The combat in the game is genuinely fun. The gunplay isn’t anywhere as good as say, Call of Duty but it is still enjoyable and it works. The greatest enjoyment you will get in the way of combat is the bow. It is insanely rewarding to use and there is nothing more satisfying than nailing a headshot on an enemy. You also have the option to go hunting. The bow, again, is the best choice for hunting, which is also a great addition to the game. You can hunt wolf, deer, boar, rabbit and many more animals, all giving you an XP reward once looted.

There is also the option to go exploring around each of the locations. Collecting salvage, relics, documents and GPS caches is a great addition. If you ever want a break from the constant, fast paced action you can use your survival instincts to hunt down these items. As well as the extra relics, documents etc. there are optional tombs. Optional tombs are hidden tombs that involve puzzle solving to get through and reach the treasure. The treasure highlights all the relics, GPS caches and documents in the specific area on your map and gives you a large XP reward.

XP plays a big part in the game. Once you level up, a skill point is unlocked, which can be spent at a base camp. The skills are all useful and I never found one was wasted on something I didn’t need. Collecting salvage can be used to upgrade weapons. Anything with fire seemed to be extra useful, for example this could be used to shoot explosive barrels, taking out a group of enemies in a matter of seconds. At the base camps, you have the option to travel to previous areas, which is helpful when you are trying to collect everything.

Tomb Raider also has a multiplayer but it is nowhere near as good as the single player. There are four game modes, team death match, free for all, Cry for Help which is a domination like mode and rescue which involves you stealing health packs from dead enemies. Cry for help is fun to start with but, like the rest, gets boring after playing a few hours. In the few hours of multiplayer I played, I encountered lag, bugs and lots of overpowered bows. It was fun but it felt like an unnecessary addition to an almost flawless game.

Overall this game is excellent. I had to search hard for things that had gone wrong with this game. If only the developers had removed the multiplayer and instead, spent the time extending and perfecting the single player this game would have been exceptional.
  80. May 11, 2013
    This game is absolutely awesome. The earlier titles of Tomb Raider were hard for me since I suck at jump puzzles. This game absolutely put those away. There were some inconsistencies with Lara being constantly hesitant of taking the shot at the big baddy and saving her friend. The truth is, in order to make the game longer the directors deliberately made this whole weird situation even worse. However as a whole, this is definetly the best game I've played this year. Expand
  81. May 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lara Croft is one of the most famous and influential characters in gaming. Some would say the most famous. She's a cultural icon and a sex symbol. And the new game in the Tomb Raider franchise does her justice. A fresh start was what the series needed after 3 mediocre titles and 2 disastrous film adaptations. I can honestly say I wasn't the biggest fan of this franchise until I played this game, but because of this title Tomb Raider has gained a new fan.

Basically the new title in this influential series is a retelling of the universe, and this time Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics right rightly thought to start with the origin story. The plot follows 19 year old archeologist Lara Croft, who is on her first major Expedition on the ship S.S Endurance. During a storm the ship is wreck on an Uncharted island in the fictional "Dragons Triangle" in inhabited by vicious wild animals and a psychotic cult of pirates called "The Solarii".

It is a story driven semi-open world game. One of the main things about this game that makes it great is the fact that you can play it stealthily or as a more traditional Third Person shooter. Playing it stealthily is limited however as you don't get a silenced pistol until much later so you will be using the Bow and Arrow for the majority of the game. But I used to Bow and Arrow as my weapon of choice in the game in all playthroughs as it is the most usefully and accurate weapon in the game. You can't play the entire game stealthily, as there are occasional ambush sections where you will need to fend off waves of enemies at a time, which is one of the few negatives of the game.

Another negative is the fact that you can not choose when you wish to crouch or sneak. The game crouches and sneaks for you when you need it to and it does actually do this quite well, however I am sick of games that try to automatically do things for the player, as I wish to actually PLAY the game and control my character. I also wish this game had co-op because there is great potential for a co-op mode in this game, even if it was only a horde mode like style and I really hope they add a co-op in the next game.

Visually the game is great and the environment never seems to get bland or boring and there is always something happening in the world. The platforming in the game as been massively improved from previous titles and is similar to other Action Adventure games such as Uncharted and Assassin's Creed. There are plenty of weapons in the game however you can't gain a new weapon in the game after you have killed an enemy like most Third Person Shooters or Action Adventure games, and instead you must either unlock them be finding parts for each weapon in the game world or have them given to you be NPCs. I severely hope they fix this in the sequel as I hate games that do this.

Multiplayer is this games downfall, as it seems a bit tacked on and you can only seem to get any kills with the cross bow and only one of the 2 factions start with it in their load out. (The Solarii must unlock it) however Tomb Raider is not about multiplayer so I will not exactly hold it against the game. There are only 7 tombs in the whole game, which allot of traditional fans are upset about, however this is the origin story, and we can hope to see more tombs in it's sequel.

if you are a fan of the original games you should enjoy this game and I would highly recommend to people who wish to get into the series to start with this game. Out of the games I have played that have come out this year, this is by far the best. However, that being said I have not played Bioshock Infinite yet which looks like it would blow this out of the water.
  82. May 4, 2013
    This game is fantastic, ive played the old tomb raiders before and they didnt really hook me, now Tomb Raider is more modern and it is sweet, alot of people are comparing this to Uncharted, but they are not really all that much alike. This game has a very unique story that isnt bad at all and will have you playing to see what happens next. This is a reboot of the series and the plot takes place as Laura Crofts first ever exbhibition, which is why at first she seems like a very broken women who cant handle herself.... well after about an hour into the game she is a killing machine capable of wiping out waves of dudes and becoming a serous threat to there plans. Gamplay is very good and is about the only thing that resembles Uncharted. Its a third person action game. There are alot of weapons to choose from but my favorite is the bow and arrow especially after you get the badass upgrade for it. And suprisingly its not a short game either there were a few times while i was playing it where i thought it was gonna end but it didnt, and there are alot of optional tombs for you to explore to get relics and extra xp, so replay value is present. As far as is the game worth the money or not... yes, yes it is. This game deserves all of the praise it has gotten and is a very worthy purchase. Expand
  83. May 3, 2013
    Tomb Raider is one of the best games I've ever played. I loved it. I'm going to be very sad once I've completed this game. I can't see me finding another game I'll enjoy as much for a long time.

9.5 10

5 Stars

Excellent
  84. May 2, 2013
    This game is GREAT! For you of those saying pick up CoD and then saying TR is "unrealistic," i would say that is fairly hypocritical. For one, CoD (with the commando pro perk) allows you to jump off buildings, no matter how HIGH AND LIVE! Still seem realistic,not to mention that your guy gets Swiss cheesed with bullets and DOESN'T DIE! And if this game still seems unrealistic, keep in mind you're playing a VIDEO GAME! Would you like to have CoD more realistic? Take away zombies, all perks (with the exception of the ones having to do with ammo and 'nades) take away health regain and there you have it, realistic CoD! Not to mention that your guy can sprint and jump over things like he is carrying nothing!
    I'm not hating on CoD, trust me! I love CoD! I just hate it when people underrate a great game because of it being "unrealistic" and then saying "go pick up CoD" or some other unrealistic game.

Also, i do agree with whoever said they like "Far Cry 3," that game is also a great game with AI that actually can challenge you!
  85. May 2, 2013
    The game started out a bit rough around the edges. The introductory stages weren't very interesting and it wasn't clear that you'd have to revisit these areas to access all areas. Once you get most of the critical mobility abilities, though, the gameplay really seats itself and reveals how enjoyable it was intended to be. The plot is on par with any Uncharted game. The facial detail on the characters during cutscenes leaves much room for improvement, but it's not so bad as to be off-putting. Close quarters combat could use a bit of refinement. Personally I'd like to see more puzzle solving and less combat, but I was having fun doing both. I will certainly play the next installment in this rebooted franchise. Expand
  86. May 1, 2013
    There is a lot to like in the latest incarnation of Tomb Raider. A more realistic take on the character, a deeper and more thoughtful story than past games, graphics that are among the best out there, and a lot of fun gameplay along the way. But despite all the good aspects, I felt I was never able to fully let rip and enjoy it in my own way.

Walk towards an enemy and Lara will
    automatically crouch into cover. Walk into a dark cave and she'll light up a torch. Sometimes dramatic and tense in-game cut scenes merge directly in and out of gameplay and at points I wasn't actually sure if I was in control or not.

Exploring the semi-open world is encouraged to find all the hidden collectables and level up your character, but you can unlock upgrades which point out where the collectables are which gets rid of the need to actually explore anywhere. If you walk within 200 yards of one of the 'secret' tombs a pop-up will appear on screen saying "Secret Tomb Discovered" and it will show you where it is on the map (not to mention the literal huge arrows painted on to the scenery that point towards said secret tombs in most cases). To me that defeated the point of them being secret tombs, and took out the satisfaction of discovering them for myself.

All of this creates is a very linear experience where you aren't allowed to decide how to approach a situation. What if I wanted to run into a room full of bad guys guns blazing? Not allowed, because that's not how the game wants me to play it. This is made even more frustrating by the fact that so much of the game is actually a lot of fun, the story really is quite engaging and Lara's character is well defined. I just wish I could play it my way rather than having it hold my hand all the way through.
  87. May 1, 2013
    i really wish they didn't objectify women so much in games (torrent "miss representation" film) but the game overall is really amazing. the story, gameplay, controls and character dev are all spot on, and so i've got to put my feminist politics aside.
  88. Apr 29, 2013
    Great improvements make this game superior than its predecessors. Though not on par with the last 2 Uncharted games, it has greater depth in its gameplay and personally i like better the grim style.

It's in the path of the Uncharted series as a cinematic experience and has kept some gameplay elements from previous TRs. It's spectacular and a thing of beauty to watch (some of the best
    graphics on the X360), technically proficient and has some great physics. The combat is hate/love, but it suits the neurotic situation and the character of the unexperienced Lara (though she kills a lot of bad guys...)

If it had some more climbing to do, some more of the great physics puzzles (a lot more actually) and a more sturdy combat, it could have been perfect.
  89. Apr 28, 2013
    If you like uncharted you will love this game, I watched the e3 demo a couple of years ago and my wife got me the game for easter and I just completed it. There is def a replay value to it as will and I fully intend to go back and play it again once I get caught up on all my games. I will say that there is only a few games I go back and replay and tomb raider is that good
  90. Apr 27, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an amazing reboot of the franchise and I definitely enjoyed my experience playing this game. The game looks great from a graphical standpoint. Gameplay is solid. Lara Croft's character model is particularly detailed and I liked how she will react to the environment. For example, when you are near a wall or cliff side she will put her hand up against the object if you get too close or cover her face when you go near fire. It may be something that was overlooked by players but I thought it added to the player immersion. The story is fairly engaging, although the NPCs that Lara interacts with throughout the game are somewhat underdeveloped and lacking in any real depth that makes you care about them. Tomb Raider is also a very mature game, there are numerous parts in the game that truly highlight the intense struggle Lara Croft must go through to survive.

There are also numerous collectibles throughout the game that encourage you to explore the environment. Finding these collectibles also give you experience points and salvage which you can use to upgrade your skills and weapons. Upgrading skills allows Lara to climb walls faster, perform stronger melee kills and find more loot in throughout the world.

My only complaint, if I had to say something, would be the length of the game. I really would've liked to continue playing this game but I am hopeful that single player DLC may be released as I most certainly purchase it. Also, multiplayer is somewhat forgettable in comparison to other, more established, game franchise. I would've preferred the resources that were put into creating a multiplayer, be put into expanding the single player experience.
  91. Apr 26, 2013
    Na minha opinião, um dos melhores jogos de 2013 jogabilidade, enredo e otimos graficos uma das melhores experiencias que tive no meu xbox 360.
    O jogo um belo rebot da serie.
  92. Apr 26, 2013
    This game is so totally underrated that its almost a sin. I cant help but think that all the fuss about Bioshock Infinity stole attention from a lot of great games but mostly from Tomb Raider. Bioshock Infinity is a great game, no doubt. But its still just a shooter at its core and not that different from previous Bioshocks. Ok, Tomb Raider is not perfect either, but I think it deserves a lot more credit than it has been given. Sure, it has some same things going on as Uncharted did, but why is that so bad? Bioshock is doing basically the same thing in its own genre. Tomb Rider does thing the right way although it might not be so revolutionary.

I really enjoyed Tomb Raider and it has a lot of great stuff going on. The characters are great, the visuals are stunning and the level design is incredibly detailed. The game is more mature and not just boobs with guns. Finding stuff ingame felt really good and rewarding for some reason. I never give a rats butt about finding collectibles or achievements in games and I didnt collect everything, but I had to make sure at least all the optional tombs ware raided and most relics found. The gameplay and controls are fluid and the action is awesome. Some annoying QTE-parts could have been dropped but it doesnt spoil it. Man I just hope Tomb Raider sells well. Just want the developers to get the credit they deserve for making this great game. I´m really looking forward whats coming next from them. Tomb Raider is not the greatest game ever, but its really good. Make sure to try TR if it interests you even just a little bit.
  93. Apr 25, 2013
    Thrilling story from start to finish, very fluid controls, beautiful graphics, character models and environments are near flawless. Very convincing voice overs. Dark and gritty, some very graphic violence may turn some people off. Campaign is a little short. Otherwise, near perfect game.
  94. Apr 25, 2013
    Best game i have played this year, and is in my top 5 all time games. I am a fan of the uncharted series and I really appreciate the direction tomb raider has gone with this by implementing the more realistic movement & weapon system. Single player is perfect with a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat as well as constant unique gameplay events thats mixes it up great. The multiplayer however is laggy and this really affects the gameplay hopefully they will fix this with a patch but as a result they fall short of 10/10 Expand
  95. Apr 25, 2013
    Definitely don't agree with those giving this 5 stars as "One of the best games ever" yeah...no. One question to these people, How many games have you actually played? As someone who has been a lifelong TR fan ever since i played the very first game in 1996 this certaintly is a much welcomed upgrade from the stale games circa 2003 2008. When you compare it on the Tomb Raider scale it is very very good but on video games as a whole it lacks substance.

I found immersion very difficult, considering you fall and land on an iron spike impaling your side in the very first level then not 5 minutes later proceed to run, jump and climb objects as if you had already healed from the spike almost instantly, she even holds her side because of the pain! I guess walking is painful but climbing and running... not so much. This is not the only time this happens in the game we are supposed to be believing she is human in this reboot right?.

Another thing i was dissapointed with was that they once again included quick time events in cutscenes, I can't be the only one who hates this? Watching a cinematic cutscene whilst constantly being primed to press a button just ruins the entertainment of it, instead of watching the action you're reminding yourself which button your finger is on so that you'll be ready. Let the game be the game and the cutscene be the cutscene, don't merge both into some anxious attention diverting gaming moment. Let us relax and watch the cutscene or let us play that part of the freaking game!!

The actual story is pretty decent, could have been better but holds together well. The combat is 3rd person and i will agree it doesn't have many flaws, the cover system holds well and the enemies have decent enough AI to be a challenege at certain areas.
    I love games with looting systems in place, whether it be crates, enemies or treasure chests gathering loot and supplies is fun and i'm glad they included it in this game, However looting the same crap over and over again becomes repetitive and boring, but there wasn't really anything else in this game to be looted, no armor upgrades, rare ability boosting island remedies, unique weapons etc etc.

The levels whilst they promote non linearity are infact linear, there is no exploration on any large scale. You get a sort of mini sandbox to explore which i felt was lacking as we were sold this huge island. I played this game for 8 straight hours before giving it up for good, the levels and challenege felt the same throughout the whole game. There was no mission where i thought "Hey, this is different!" maybe except the sneaking to avoid guards and the huge amount of bodies of WW2 soldiers in that bunker with the guardian.

Am i expecting too much from this game? Well not really if you're going to class this as the best game ever or game of the year. I feel my review is fair, it's definitely not 1 star and it sure as hell isn't 5 stars, which doesn't change the fact this game to me is a letdown. If you Want a proper jungle exploration shooter? pick up Far Cry 3.
  96. Apr 24, 2013
    I'm torn about this one. It's ticks all the right boxes, but I don't feel it's worth full price. You must play this game, but you should not pay full price., it just doesn't feel to me like it's earned that much money.
  97. Apr 24, 2013
    At first glance I thought this new Tomb raider would be a uncharted clone. But the end result was completely different then what i was expecting. The story was exciting and slowly piece together as you really notes left behind by characters. Lara is the star character in the game because she becomes a innocents girl to a killer. Though this was pretty fast because one moment she grieving from killing a man but then killing other people like nothing. It might have more enjoyable if the developers made this process a bit slower. The game mechanics of this game are really good and the weapons each have their own unique purpose. The stealth works well with this game and silently killing off guards is a blast The game is not completely free roam but the game offers you a chance to re explored previous areas to look for parts. The addition of tombs make this game even more enjoyable as you figure ways to complete the puzzle. The graphics are really good and the environment and character models are top notch. The only problem i had with the game was the multiplier which could use more work. Overall, I enjoyed this game more then uncharted and couldn't stop playing. Expand
  98. Apr 24, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have played in years! Graphics are excellent. Many times I found myself stopping and just looking at the landscape. Game play is a blast. Aiming and shooting is very easy. Enemy AI is just right. My only complaint is that I wish the dlc was something other than mulitplayer.
  99. Apr 24, 2013
    is an awesome shooter with frenetic action, story worthy of indiana jones, charismatic characters, beautiful graphics and lots of fun, no doubt, and a q cocorrente strong for best game of the year.
  100. Apr 23, 2013
    Wow, this game owned my life for about 2 weeks. It would have been more if I hadn't 100%'d it. Some of my all time favorite games are Resident Evil 4, Batman AA, and Uncharted 2 (though the top spots go to Fallout 3 and Half-Life 2). Tomb Raider is basically a mash up of those 3 games. You have the dark mysteries environment with crazy people (RE4), the metroidvania exploration of Batman, and a very healthy dose of Uncharted storytelling and high impact, but controllable moments. I actually LOVED the combat in this game, it is a little loose, but hits that sweet spot of controlled chaos. Constantly upgrading weapons and equipment and lots of collectibles only fueled my addiction. Easily one of my favorite games of this generation, a culminations of a lot of the best game design that has evolved in the last 5 years. Play it! Expand
  101. Mar 5, 2013
    The game play is awesome.Like really awesome. Lara's characterization is amazing. Upgrade system is epic. Exploration is wonderful and challenging. And finally the story... its pretty good most of the time.
    I can assure u this will be one of the best of games of 2013!!!!

1. Apr 5, 2013
    The new Tomb Raider is not as revolutionary as the original from 1996 but this reboot is the most mature, interesting and friendly entry to the series. For me it is Uncharted on steroids, a game that’s better in every aspect than Nathan Drake’s adventures. [CD-Action 04/2013, p.52]
  2. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fine game, but something essential feels like it has been left out. Lara seems to have found the map, but missed the treasure.
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    Tomb Raider is the second best Uncharted game behind Uncharted 2. While it gives up a lot of its adventure identity fans have come to know and love, the end result is still a fantastic game that shouldn’t be missed by any action fan. If Crystal Dynamics can inject more adventure elements into a potential sequel, it would be a pretty interesting proposition indeed.