7.0

1. Apr 17, 2011
    This is a game that does what few others game do, something new and it almost succeeds in being outstanding, the story about norse gods fighting a war against machines is truly unique and enjoyable, and the combat system is really addicting, there's a lot of loot to find, and it's long, it took me 12 hours to beat it which is great considering most games now days are 2 to 3 hours long, theThis is a game that does what few others game do, something new and it almost succeeds in being outstanding, the story about norse gods fighting a war against machines is truly unique and enjoyable, and the combat system is really addicting, there's a lot of loot to find, and it's long, it took me 12 hours to beat it which is great considering most games now days are 2 to 3 hours long, the problem is that it overstays it's welcome, it's far too repetitive for it's own good, it's just fight your way from point A to point B and battle the boss, but the story kept me going, I just couldn't wait to see what happened, and from what I read on the back of the box this is the first entry in a trilogy, and I'm dying to see where this series goes in future entries, a truly good, fun, and unique game. Expand
  2. Apr 30, 2011
    Too Human

Norse mythology with a techno flair Xbox 360 Played to completion with Defender class Too Human is a game 9 years in the making. First concepted as a Playstation game in 1999, It's come a long way for a release on Microsofts Xbox 360. Is this first entry in the Too Human trilogy worth the wait? Too Human starts with a rather stylish intro video that throws you into the
    Too Human

Norse mythology with a techno flair

Xbox 360
    Played to completion with Defender class

Too Human starts with a rather stylish intro video that throws you into the tech flaired world of Too Human. You are Baldur, son of odin and resident of Asgard. As an Aesir it's your job to protect humanity from the machines that plague the modern world. Without much fanfare you are thrust into the first level of the game and meet your first machine.

The world of Too Human is extremly well realized. The blend of Norse mythology and Cyber technology is surprisingly well utilized and lends itself to the best part of game, the story. As Baldur you must hunt down the robot GRNDL. Of course the story doesn't end at GRNDL and soon begins to lead you toward your ultimate enemy Loki. Unfortunatly the story is just set up for the now defunct Too Human trilogy and thus feels like the opening to a story that will never be finished. In the end it is a well told story accompanied by stylish cutscenes and solid voice acting.

The meat of the game is of course the gameplay. You choose between 5 playable classes that each empasize a certain playstyle (i.e. rushing, tanking, healing, etc.) No matter what you choose you will end up using a combo of melee weapons and guns to dispatch your foes. Your melee weapon is assigned to the right stick which will be used to slide towards enemies for basic melee attacks or to pop them up for a quick air combo. The choice of the right stick as your melee simultainiously works well and frustrates. It seems somewhat randomly Baldur will not slide corrctly or will end up targeting an enemy you don't want it to. Guns will help you thin out the horde before they descend upon and do there job well, but once again you will encouter some fairly janky targeting that could leave you out in the cold. Also at your disposal are ruiners which are essentialy AoE power moves that are useful for getting out of a tight spot or taking out a large group of enemies. Too bad the level design and enemy types completly ruin the experience. Most of your battles consist of large waves of machines that can either be rushers or long range spammers. Enemies take a surprising amount of punishment and also frequently come with exploding, poison, and freezing death AoEs that can severly screw you up. It seems like the game sometimes sets you up for failure as when you die you just come back with all the enemies at the same health as they were before. The only punishment you get is an infuriating 20 second cutscene of a valkyrie descending from the heavens and carrying you up to valhalla. It's cool at first but after 2 or 3 deaths you'll switch from mild interest to anger. For a loot driven game its surprising that the developer would make the game so difficult. Loot driven games are known to be kind of mindless but in Too Human you die so frequently you start to lose interest. Not to mention you'll be wrestling the camera constantly. The only thing that make it bearable is the fact that left bumper will center the camera, expect to be hammering that alamost as much as your melee attacks.

Graphically, Too Human is the definition of mediocre and would probably fit in as an Xbox 360 launch title. On top of that the framerate is prone to chopiness and glitches are frequent. Sometimes enemies will suddenly stop moving or even become invisible. I personally lost about 10 minutes to an unopenable door which was only solved by reloading the game. Artistically the game remains consistent with it's sci-fi vibe with solid charecter design and and consistent enviorments. Too Human is a flawed game that tried to create a new style loot grind and failed spectacularly. The only somewhat reedeming quality of the game is it's narrative and even that isn't specatcular, just well told. The game itself is a boring grind punctuated by an annoying death animation and absolutly absymal camera control. With only four levels and about 10 hours of gameplay in the main story the game will end fairly adbruptly and leave you hanging with only the grind of the same 4 levels for mostly useless loot to keep you going. When I finished this game I didn't feel any accomplishment, I only felt like I wasted 10 hours of my life.

Presentation: 7
    Gameplay: 3
    Value: 6

Overall: 5.1
  3. Dec 3, 2012
    It brings tears to my eyes to write this, but this game is awful. An absolutely *incredible* premise was absolutely trashed in this truly, truly unfortunate failure of a game. Let me get more specific. Graphically, the game was pretty good, and at first, it was a blast. The controls, while... unique, were fun to use for melee combat, the enemies were interesting and fun to fight,It brings tears to my eyes to write this, but this game is awful. An absolutely *incredible* premise was absolutely trashed in this truly, truly unfortunate failure of a game. Let me get more specific. Graphically, the game was pretty good, and at first, it was a blast. The controls, while... unique, were fun to use for melee combat, the enemies were interesting and fun to fight, particularly the towering mechanical Troll. Unfortunately, a number of issues quickly emerged. First and most importantly, there is literally no camera control in this game. It will get you killed, again and again. Secondly, while the enemies were initially interesting and unique, the game seemed desperate to show them to the player again... and again... and again... It seemed the game's only way of keeping you playing was to lock you in a room with fifty more dudes. And while hacking your way through lots of squishy enemies can be fun (Dead Rising 2 comes to mind) there's the thing: the enemies *aren't* squishy. Even with endgame level equipment on a second playthrough, the game stops throwing the squishy baddies at you really quickly, in favor of similar, but much *less* squishy enemies. The fluid combat system stagnated as I stood for long seconds, trying to cut down an individual enemy. In the end, interesting boss fights couldn't save the game. It's short and badly paced - four levels that take multiple hours each to complete - but it wound up feeling very, very long. The only reason I gave this a 6 was for the premise - sci-fi norse mythology? It should've been *awesome*. Hell, the fight with a massive, biomechanical Fenrir WAS awesome, but it was one of the very few high points in a massive, massive **** of a game. Purchase as a form of digital tourism only - the first level was mostly fun, but don't expect to last long after that unless you're *very* persistent. Expand
  4. Oct 19, 2012
    Too Human is a game like not other. With gameplay that sets it apart from everything else, the soundtrack to set the mood, and a beautiful atheistic look; Too Human is a game that is necessary to play. The loot to find makes this game really addicting too. The story of course is a high point for this game. Over all Too Human is a game that took a chance and it deserves the right to atToo Human is a game like not other. With gameplay that sets it apart from everything else, the soundtrack to set the mood, and a beautiful atheistic look; Too Human is a game that is necessary to play. The loot to find makes this game really addicting too. The story of course is a high point for this game. Over all Too Human is a game that took a chance and it deserves the right to at least be rented. Expand
  5. Jan 30, 2013
    I recently got this game after all copies were ordered to be destroyed. I came in expecting a broken unplayable game, but I was wrong. Sure the camera, bland level design and certain combat/death aspects can be annoying but the music, voice acting and story is worth the now cheap price tag. It feels like a mix of dmc borderlands (the loot style) and mass effect. The conclusion of the gameI recently got this game after all copies were ordered to be destroyed. I came in expecting a broken unplayable game, but I was wrong. Sure the camera, bland level design and certain combat/death aspects can be annoying but the music, voice acting and story is worth the now cheap price tag. It feels like a mix of dmc borderlands (the loot style) and mass effect. The conclusion of the game really does set the tone of a trilogy with an epic conclusion which is satisfying yet provides questions unanswered. For the price it is now preowned it is worth the purchase. You never know you actually might like it. At the end I got the hang of combat and was pulling off melee attacks and mixing in gun combat. When played right the game can be extremely fun to play. I just wish the leveling system could have been better because you have the same challenge throughout since enemies level up with you and also a little too much time was spent in menus (which did take a bit too long to load despite being installed on the xbox hdd) The game might not be perfect, but there are worse games out there you can spend $14 or less on. I feel that if a sequel is made with the modern unreal engine, motion captured cinematics and a redone control scheme I feel that this series would take off. Expand
  6. Mar 27, 2013
    Okay as you can see there are tonnes of good reviews and there is a reason for that. The game is good. I still play this game, and I pre-ordered it. Why should you get it? Firstly this game doesn't hold you hand in any way, you either have to work out what does what or look it up, kind of mad a refreshing change. The combat system is simple yet one of the most effective I have ever used,Okay as you can see there are tonnes of good reviews and there is a reason for that. The game is good. I still play this game, and I pre-ordered it. Why should you get it? Firstly this game doesn't hold you hand in any way, you either have to work out what does what or look it up, kind of mad a refreshing change. The combat system is simple yet one of the most effective I have ever used, and with practice you can cut you way through the multitude of enemies that gather on later levels. The story, should you play that mode, really sets the scene and you'll grow to like the chracters and enjoy their interactions. But this game stands out with the multiplayer, it's a shame that only 2 can play but that's enough and with the right classes side by side nothing will stand in your way. I worked in a game store at the release of the game, and most negative reviews came from those that couldn't play it and didn't understand the combat system.

Don't listen to people, the menu's in game are easy to understand for anyone who plays RPGs or any other MMO style game, Crafting is easy but getting the right runes and such is where the fun lies. You'll be forever swapping to new weapons, trying out new armour and really crafting your character to your style of play. For a novice player you need to stay away from the beserker, they are a little squishy, but every other class is more than playable. Combat relies heavily on knowing who to kill first, going for the wrong target can cause death, take this from someone who has complete every level without dying. This game needs one play through of the demo to get it, and if you do you'll start to love it, if you don't get it then they'll be no enjoyment.

Buy this game, it's dirt cheap and whilst very few people play it you can still get a coop game with a random on a regular basis.
  7. Apr 14, 2013
    Too Human was the first game I ever bought for Xbox 360 and damn, was I scarred for life. This game was incredibly bad and was probably the worst games I have ever played. Although, this game did have some neat mechanics that didn't really expand. For example, the different types of guns were randomly generated but I didn't actually get a variety throughout the game. The story would be theToo Human was the first game I ever bought for Xbox 360 and damn, was I scarred for life. This game was incredibly bad and was probably the worst games I have ever played. Although, this game did have some neat mechanics that didn't really expand. For example, the different types of guns were randomly generated but I didn't actually get a variety throughout the game. The story would be the biggest let down, it only took me 5 hours to complete! I took it back to the game store after 2 weeks of buying it because I was so disappointed, what a way to start with the Xbox 360.

Melson97
  8. May 30, 2013
    If you don't like this game, that's fine. Just please give me a more compelling case than the controls were bad. Too Human is a nice refreshing game experience and very enjoyable. As I've said, people hate it because of the analog stick controls, but I think they're necessary because of how many combat type there are. Not to mention, it saves us from pulling up a menu to select our skillsIf you don't like this game, that's fine. Just please give me a more compelling case than the controls were bad. Too Human is a nice refreshing game experience and very enjoyable. As I've said, people hate it because of the analog stick controls, but I think they're necessary because of how many combat type there are. Not to mention, it saves us from pulling up a menu to select our skills from (Mass Effect). My only gripe with this game is it's really short for an RPG. But, it still has co-op so playing with a buddy is all the more entertaining. Bottom line, it's a great game and you should go and buy it. R.I.P Silicon Knights Expand
  9. Jun 30, 2013
    Oh boy.....Too Human I had such high hopes for with the interesting mythology combined with the futuristic cyber tech style and a company in Silicon Knights that I respect. I like the idea of the Diablo like loot system and the customization options sounded good, but after actually playing it you immediately realize that this game is virtually unplayable and quite honestly has the worstOh boy.....Too Human I had such high hopes for with the interesting mythology combined with the futuristic cyber tech style and a company in Silicon Knights that I respect. I like the idea of the Diablo like loot system and the customization options sounded good, but after actually playing it you immediately realize that this game is virtually unplayable and quite honestly has the worst controls i have ever seen in a 3rd person action game. I was able to get passed the fact that the graphics were very sub par (graphics are an overrated aspect of games, I place gameplay and story first) but i couldn't get past the "broken" controls and the "broken" camera these two aspects were just unforgiving and i'm amazed that SN did not realize this at least halfway through with play testing and focus groups and revamp the system. I know they were struggling to integrate the unreal 2 engine and this was in part the reason for the bad graphics and the delays but that has nothing to do with controls and camera and could have been forgiven. The game might of had a cool story and may of had a great loot system but i'll never know because I couldn't get past 40min of the game and i usually give a game at least an hour to give it a chance but honestly you know in the first 5min that to play this game you either have to be a completely clueless or new gamer and not know any better. Such a shame that SN wasted such a promising idea and a great name (Too Human) on what i would describe as frankly a mess. I as much as anyone was pumping this game up in '07 and early '08 before it came out, it is funny i bought Too Human, Fallout3, and Fable2 at the same time thinking I just bought three all time great games and it turns out that fable2 was one of the best games and Fallout3 WAS the best game i ever played and Too Human was epic in comparison, it was an epic disaster and the utter antithesis of the other two. Sadder yet the game was anticipated so highly that it was pegged to be a trilogy even before it came out (how arrogant is that) but needless to say the series ends at one. I don't normally rip games because i realize what most don't, that every major console game that comes out was a labor of love and took blood sweat and tears to make even the bad games have many talented people and many good ideas in them but for whatever reason it doesn't come together. It isn't easy and MANY things have to come together and work to green light a game and release on major publication so it is sad that a couple bad major aspects of a game can trump many good ideas and taint certain talented people. I know Silicon Knights has some talented people and let's hope they can shine in the future. Expand
  10. Aug 30, 2013
    Too human concept offers an interesting and a fictional universe very well done. But is plagued by a limping gameplay and RPG system that, apart from the menu, provides no change to the gameplay. It would have been nice to see the conclusion of the trilogy, but given the recent work of Silicon Knight maybe it's better that the saga is dead.
  11. Oct 13, 2013
    A bad game. A bunch of various kinds placed together in one videogame video game videogame form a soup taste bad. A gameplay bored after the first hour of play and a plot drab help to sink into oblivion this title. The original setting is the only thing that saves this play from the full failure. 10 years of development and 60 million dollars wasted.
  12. Jan 2, 2014
    Hands-down, one of the greatest RPG games ever published. This the community got so psyched for a second game, only to be let down. (Please make that second game)
  13. Apr 25, 2016
    This is one of the Xbox 360's hidden treasures that got unnecessary hate when it was first released. Combat is different but it's games like this that made the PS3 and Xbox 360 such great consoles. I wished treasures like this were made today but developers no longer want to take a chance on making something different that is why the current generation has so few good games and hardlyThis is one of the Xbox 360's hidden treasures that got unnecessary hate when it was first released. Combat is different but it's games like this that made the PS3 and Xbox 360 such great consoles. I wished treasures like this were made today but developers no longer want to take a chance on making something different that is why the current generation has so few good games and hardly anything new and different. That's why we get nothing but Souls, AC, CoD, Battlefield, and Street Fighter games made over and over. Expand
  14. Jan 24, 2017
    Sous des atours assez chatoyants (graphismes soignés, environnements immenses, cinématiques nombreuses, musique tonitruante) Too human n'est qu'un "hack and slash" très con (pléonasme puisque le genre est con par définition, certes bien emballé mais définitivement très limité et surtout incroyablement répétitif.

Un jeu à la Diablol donc (quoique bien plus beau que n'importe quel

Un jeu à la Diablol donc (quoique bien plus beau que n'importe quel Diabolol) qui a choisi la voie du stick droit pour la distribution des gnons et des bastos, privant ainsi le joueur de tout contrôle de la caméra (c'est vraiment très con). La mise en scène fait souvent ricaner dans Too human : excessivement déclamatoire et théâtrale, elle n'aide pas une histoire simplette et son univers techno-religieux-viking à la Riddick glisse sur le parquet trop ciré de son auto-suffisance.

Le bon côté (car il y en a un contre toute attente) concerne l'auto-résurrection du joueur lorsqu'il meurt (un ange descend du ciel -sic !-) qui permet de revenir là où il était sans avoir à se retaper des niveaux entiers. Niveaux très grands que l'on parcourt à la vitesse d'une tortue, niveaux trop grands pour se donner un style, de la "grandeur" et de plus en plus d'ennemis, toujours plus d'ennemis qui exigent des combos et des chargeurs entiers (remplissage de base de tout jeu de merde qui ne se respecte pas).

Il s'agit au final d'une daube assez jolie qui change de la sempiternelle fantasy malgré son univers maladroit (le "héros' et son charisme d'endive molle par exemple) mais qui emmerde énormément.
  15. Apr 14, 2013

Melson97

Too Human is also not a good action game. While it deserves some applause for a reasonable translation of PC classic Diablo's mouse-driven controls, its reliance on the right analog stick as a means for attack only works at the most basic level.
  2. Too Human is about players sculpting their ideal killing machines. If you enjoy leveling and looting, it's worth a look. If you only have a moderate interest, Too Human's aggravating gameplay and irreparable plot won't deliver many thrills. [Sept 2008, p.104]
  3. If wading knee deep in the dead to get at a piece of armour that’s 5% better than what you’re currently wearing isn’t the kind of adventuring that excites you, then you’re in trouble, because Too Human is exactly this type of game. Kill, loot, compare, equip, repeat.