8.6

1. Jun 29, 2014
    Toy Soldiers: Cold War is a hybrid tower-defence game using, as you may have guessed, toy soldiers as units. On each level players can place units, ranging from machine guns to anti-aircraft guns, in specified locations each of which can be changed or upgraded at any point to best defeat the wave after wave of enemies attempting to reach your toy box. If enough enemies reach the toy boxToy Soldiers: Cold War is a hybrid tower-defence game using, as you may have guessed, toy soldiers as units. On each level players can place units, ranging from machine guns to anti-aircraft guns, in specified locations each of which can be changed or upgraded at any point to best defeat the wave after wave of enemies attempting to reach your toy box. If enough enemies reach the toy box the mission is failed. The hybrid element comes in as at any point the player can take direct control over any unit and fire the turret manually. At certain points an overkill mode is unlocked allowing for an extremely powerful commando or helicopter to be dispatched and controlled to deal huge damage to the enemy.

For a while Toy Soldiers: Cold War does provide a bit of fast paced arcade fun with a little depth provided by the choice of units that can be deployed. Mowing down wave after wave of enemies from a turret does become dull pretty quickly however and, other than a slight change in background, each level plays virtually identically for the most part. As a result it doesn't really offer long term appeal despite the inclusion of online leaderboards and a few multiplayer modes.

Perhaps worth picking up on the cheap but unless you are a real fan of the tower defence genre this is not a game that many people will play for all that long.
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    See the full review @ http://idiotbox.co.uk/toy-soldiers-cold-war-review/

See the full review @ http://idiotbox.co.uk/toy-soldiers-cold-war-review/

I’m just going to put this out there right now, this is 100% not what I was expecting it to be. I have a terrible habit of not researching the Games with Gold Games before they’re released, it’s my passive aggressive way of living on the edge I suppose… It’s called Toy Soldiers so naturally I immediately assumed it was going to be like the old school Army Men games with the green plastic soldiers running around shooting the tan coloured soldiers for no other reason than they are a different colour so they must be destroyed.

Good ol’ fashioned family racism at it’s finest…
    Getting back to the point, I have never been so happy that my preconceptions were wrong. Toy Soldiers kicks off with the most 80′s motivational guitar **** you could ever possible how to hear. A little while ago I complained that the recent World of Tanks didn’t have enough motivational music but at the time I didn’t really know what I wanted to hear. THIS, this is it! I kid you not I actually sat there just listening to it on loop while I wrote this review. If I could I would make it my ringtone. The point I’m trying to make is that it is balls-out awesome! Toy Soldiers is definitely off to a mighty fine start!

The gameplay itself seems to follow suit with the music and forgoes all the messing around. I kid you not that the tutorial consists of “Press this button to shoot. Good. Now kill as many things as you can!” I can’t really imagine anything more straight forward and immediately satisfying as this! The next lesson is just as in-depth, you are shown how to use the guided missiles and then are simply left to it to blow **** up for a while. The next lesson is actually pretty clever, it starts as another little life lesson about protecting your base and using different turrets but soon becomes a fully fledged warzone as you find yourself balls deep in troops, tanks and all other manner of assorted things trying to ruin your day. The main purpose of the earlier waves are to introduce you to some of the bonuses you can get by maintaining your kill streak. Let me be straight with you. Some of the bonuses are amazing!! Some of these are as simple as airstrikes or artillery bombardments but my personal favourite is the Ramboesque Commando, complete with mullet, massive firepower and shouting habits. A whole lot of fun!!

Pretty much all you need to know about that!
    Considering that the first level disguises itself as a part of the tutorial it is without a shadow of a doubt one of the most intense pieces of gameplay I have experienced in a while! At this point I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not, there’s throwing you in at the deep end and then there’s just sheer insanity. As crazy as things got in the first level there is definitely something to be said for on-the-job training because by the time the next mission rolls round everything seems to fall nicely in to place; you have all of the tools and the knowledge you need to start making this game your ****

Sadly there isn’t really much more to be done with the campaign mode and it starts to feel like the same thing over again with slightly different details. With this in mind I figured it was time to explore the other options that Toy Soldiers had to offer. Firstly it only seemed right to take the fight online. Imagine my disappointment when I was greeted with an error message telling me that in order to play online I need to pay for and download the separate DLC packs to compatible. I swiftly called bull**** on that and moved on. Next on the list is survival mode. This is exactly as it sounds, you set yourself up and you hold out for as long as you can against multiple and endless waves of enemies. There is also 3 different difficulties for this mode for those of you that happen to be feeling adventurous/insane. Last but not least you have my personal favourite part of the game; the Minigames. These are a nice little selection of distractions and these range from re-doing some of the tutorial madness to get a better score, to shooting down an army of house flies, to flying a guided missile down a disco hallway.
  3. Oct 13, 2011
    A good game all round but needs a tiny bit of patching up.A few of the graphics don't look that neat. An all round medium game.
  4. Sep 14, 2011
    Cold War is a fun game that has it's fair of minute flaws, but is well done enough that you'll get past some of the snags and uncover an entertaining, albeit short lived, experience.

Swooping through a virtual boy's room in a miniature jet while fighting a huge submarine is where this game topped for us. Rock solid and inexpensive entertainment for your Xbox 360.
  2. Nov 14, 2011