TRON: Evolution Xbox 360

5.8

1. Jul 29, 2016
    A solid action game made up of borrowed parts, some genuinely good and new ideas, and some design flaws. It ultimately isn't able to make it's borrowed elements as good as the games it took them from, but ultimately I can't criticize the game too much. It's a solid effort and more enjoyable than most movie tie-in, licensed games even with it's flaws.

The combat is pretty entertaining.

The combat is pretty entertaining. It's no Bayonetta in terms of mechanics and execution. The controls are a touch stiff and the lock on mechanics aren't always going to let you hit what you want in the larger battles. However things like enemies having certain weaknesses add more depth to the experience, and I really enjoyed how the game's parkour elements tie into the fights. Maneuvering over certain objects or running across certain walls are some of the only ways to refill your health and energy needed to pull off stronger attacks in the middle of combat. Tank and light cycle sections are there to add some variety to the mix.

There's a platforming element to the game that's very similar to the Prince of Persia series. This is where the game has it's biggest flaws. Controls are unbelievably stiff in these sections. The more ambitious moments of the game's platforming can be quite frustrating as you careen off a ledge through little fault of your own. There are moments of pure Prince of Persia bliss that can lead to cool looking moments once you get the hang of the controls. Even when you do though there are still going to be times where you just get screwed by the controls. The overly lengthy respawn cutscene does nothing to alleviate that irritation. It's only a few seconds, but that's still way too long. We live in a time where instant respawns are a must.

There's a multiplayer component to the experience that's still surprisingly active. The experience is most definitely TRON. You can turn into a light cycle at will and the combat is overall solid. It's not groundbreaking in any way, but may still bring back the TRON faithful for repeat matches.

As far as the presentation side of things go, like most of the game, it's decent, but could be better. The soundtrack is pretty great. Fits the world perfectly. The graphics capture the look of the TRON universe perfectly, but stiff animations are noticeable. Look to closely and you can see that it's pretty dated graphically. The story that bridges the gap between the two films doesn't do anything really consequential to the overall story of the universe, but still ties into things nicely. The returning Olivia Wilde playing her character is much appreciated.

Perhaps with a bigger budget and more polish this could have been TRON's Arkham Asylum. The potential is here, but the refinement isn't. Things like dated design and control issues bring down the experience. Yet, the game's core ideas are good and make it pretty darn fun even in the face of some frustrations. It's also nice to see TRON get some solid video game representation. The universe is in desperate need of expansion.

As it stands it's a solid action game that's worth a look for TRON fans. Maybe that look should only be in the form a rental, but it's worth the look nonetheless. The TRON fan in me was delighted to play a TRON game of this kind. No, I wasn't blown away by it and it could have used some more work. In this genre though you can do much worse. Plus it has that TRON setting going for it.

7.5/10
  2. Jan 9, 2011
    Cons: There are some definite hiccups with the camera not helping you to understand the acrobatic puzzles, and the targeting system was so wonky I ended up using the area-effect attacks almost exclusively.

Pros: Fun, not too long for a movie game, nice tie-in if you're interested in the larger Tron story.

Bottom Line: If you can rent it, and you liked Tron, it's worth the play.
  3. Dec 21, 2011
    Tron: Evolution is a action, platformer and has a level up system like most good RPGs, but is it a good game? First of all, only if you enjoy platforming! If you hate platformers turn back now. If you love platforming and heart pounding light cycle chases then this is the game for you. It has its anoying "I thought that the wall was climbable but then I fell and died" moments but it'sTron: Evolution is a action, platformer and has a level up system like most good RPGs, but is it a good game? First of all, only if you enjoy platforming! If you hate platformers turn back now. If you love platforming and heart pounding light cycle chases then this is the game for you. It has its anoying "I thought that the wall was climbable but then I fell and died" moments but it's still a good platformer. The combat is intense as you use different disks that you get by leveling up to defeat you foes and each enemy has a weakness to a certain disk. Buy the game used at a good price and you won't feel ripped off when you play this. It's a great game and you should play it if you like TRON, now! Expand
  4. Jan 19, 2012
    Its not that bad of a game. Its does a decent job bridging the two Tron films together but the campaign is far too short. The collectables off quite a bit of backstory and information on the series (which makes them worth collecting if you are interested in it). The multiplayer is fun. However the vehicle controls are terrible and its annoying seeing the same looking environment every timeIts not that bad of a game. Its does a decent job bridging the two Tron films together but the campaign is far too short. The collectables off quite a bit of backstory and information on the series (which makes them worth collecting if you are interested in it). The multiplayer is fun. However the vehicle controls are terrible and its annoying seeing the same looking environment every time you play, It would have been nice to see some originality.

Still its a decen game. Worth getting imo but only at a low price (15 dollars or less).
  5. Jul 25, 2011
    In all honesty, TRON: Evolution isn't a BAD game... it just has too many short comings to be called, "Good". For starters the controls are some of the worst I've ever played with a 3rd person on my 360 (then again the only 3rd person I have really played and enjoyed was GoW), the camera angles are simply terrible and like most movie 3rd person games, has a mind of it's own and wouldIn all honesty, TRON: Evolution isn't a BAD game... it just has too many short comings to be called, "Good". For starters the controls are some of the worst I've ever played with a 3rd person on my 360 (then again the only 3rd person I have really played and enjoyed was GoW), the camera angles are simply terrible and like most movie 3rd person games, has a mind of it's own and would rather kill you then let you play. The online play, however unbalanced is semi fun. If TRON just took more example from TRON 2.0, or just fixed A LOT of the things I mentioned above, this game would easily be a 7 or possibly even an 8. However, it just simply become to tedious to play after a while and for the first time in a while, I actually put down a controller and walked away from boredom... and I wasn't even through the 2nd chapter. After the 2nd chapter, I came back and found myself having fun, but never really kept me pleased due to the amount of times I died trying to master the controls. The light cycle chase segments would be jaw dropping, if it wasn't handling like a drunk driving simulator...

To sum this all up, I love TRON, and the original games still have a warm spot in my heart and every once and a while I try to get my name on the weekly leader boards for both TRON and Discs of TRON, but TRON: Evolution is a rent at the very most, other than that, this can be skipped. A avid TRON fan isn't missing out on much if they pass this up except hours of frustration and trying to master a game's mechanics that will have it's servers possibly shut down in the next 4-5 years...

1. May 24, 2011
    The game is too hard and many parts of it are too frustrating. The controls in Tron: Evolution are a total mess. Why is there a multiplayer in this game?
  2. Mar 7, 2011
    Tron: Evolution suffers from the original movie's main affliction: Monotony. While initially interesting, the gameplay feels repetitive, and an inconsistent control system causes additional frustration. The soundtrack is, on the other hand, awesome – but that's sadly not enough to make this game a classic.
  3. Feb 23, 2011
    Tron: Evolution had the potential for expressing a unique and interesting story, but fell short of expectations.