7.3

1. May 26, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. I really, REALLY wanted to like it. to play another game where your enemies are dinosaurs sounded awesome to me, but this game manages to fail at what it does. first off, the story, while interesting, is pretty bland. the Turok series has more of a sci-fi approach this time, which would be cool if this concept wasn't constantly milked in most FPS games. the gameplay isn't that good either. the control for the game makes playing the game a bit confusing, and this game has tons and tons of difficulty spikes. this is mainly because one of your enemies in Turok is military soldiers. MILITARY SOLDIERS in a TUROK game. these enemies appear more often than dinosaurs, and it really drains the fun of killing dinosaurs that Turok games should have. The music for the game isn't that good. nothing in the soundtrack stands out, and I find myself always forgetting these tunes. the graphics are passable. all environments are pretty, and the character models look nice. my only complaint is that the dinosaurs look a bit too glaring, especially raptors, which look like plastic at times. As mentioned before, this game has numerous difficulty spikes, even on the easiest difficulty. this game will kick you in the butt if you're not prepared, as numerous parts of the game involve fighting too many enemies at once, or getting shot at from all angles. If one thing is good about the game, it's the voice acting. the voice acting, while not suberb, does a decent job at this game. the voices fit for each character, especially Turok. In the end, Turok is not that great of a game. its story is bland, the gameplay is a shut off thanks to there being military factions, and its difficulty spikes make Turok not an enjoyable game. Expand

1. Even with a weak script, Turok's flexible play mechanics, strong level designs, and high production values make the story mode alone worth the price of admission. [Jan 2008, p.49]
  2. A hardcore, old-school shooter. In many ways, it feels like the "Ninja Gaiden" of shooters, so if that sounds appealing to you, you'll probably love it more than we did. But if you're looking for a more modern experience, something from the current crop of shooter stars like "BioShock" and "Call of Duty 4," the frustrating bosses and save system will seem positively prehistoric. [Feb 2008, p.46]
    Turok is a solid enough shooter that won't wow you the way triple-A titles like "Call of Duty 4" or "Bioshock" will. [Mar 2008, p.85]