Vanquish Xbox 360

8.3

1. Mar 10, 2011
    Vanquish is a Japanese game. Naturally, it is high in adrenaline and wants to fire as many missiles at you at the same time as possible.
    Also, as with many Japanese games, it is very silly (insert rocket boots joke here). Good dude bad dude storyline, mixed up with a twist which is more of a slow turn at the end.
    The basic premise is that a Russian bad guy (who seems to like the colours
    The basic premise is that a Russian bad guy (who seems to like the colours black and red a lot) decides to fire a microwave at San Francisco. Then you end up on a space ship with robots surrounding you trying to rip your face off. Did I miss something?

The robots are great enemies, popping heads off is still somehow satisfying after just about every game with robots allows you to pop their heads off and there is some variation with walkers seen in Star Wars Battlefront 2, the silver surfer and Megatron from classic Transformers all taking part. Despite this, I feel as if they underplayed the variation, from the first mission I thought I'd face off hordes of unique robots, but I ended up with an occasional megatron and 95% of the enemies being the same standard model which got very boring fighting 3/4 of the way in.

The game is excessively short, being at best 5 hours of campaign (an additional three thousand hours for cut-scenes) with no additional game modes - not even multiplayer. Its not even as if the campaign is highly replayable - it really isn't which surprised me.

Vanquish is not a bad game, it has lots going right for it, but the short campaign and monotony really don't do much good for the 50 dollar price tag it had on release. Despite these shortcomings, I'm awaiting a Vanquish 2, where hopefully there will be some variation to break up the combat, a longer, less cinematic based campaign and hopefully a few new features such as maybe a hoard one to go up against the game's major competitor, the ever present and huge 'Gears of War' franchise.
  2. Nov 7, 2010
    Better fun, gameplay and guns than Gears Of War, but way too short and no multiplayer holds this back from getting a top score. Worth waiting and buying when it comes down in price - pay about two-thirds of retail because this is two-thirds of a game. Big shame it didn't go the full distance because it could have been a real belter.
  3. Nov 9, 2010
    Could have got much better score from me, probably even a GOTY award from me if it wouldn't have some problems. Never saw annoying lags and bugs, great looking graphics, controls are good if not counting, that you can do evade move only in four dircetions. What problems in this game? Well, first of all, I completed this game on hard in 4 hours, giving you '' What? Did I already completedCould have got much better score from me, probably even a GOTY award from me if it wouldn't have some problems. Never saw annoying lags and bugs, great looking graphics, controls are good if not counting, that you can do evade move only in four dircetions. What problems in this game? Well, first of all, I completed this game on hard in 4 hours, giving you '' What? Did I already completed this game? '' feeling. Even though completing this game gives you a God Hard difficulty option, it doesn't save you from the feeling. For second problem, the end section of the game. At the final sections of the game, you will face boss battles, repeatedly. Worst of all, boss enemies which you had faced before, you will need to fight againts them, again, again and again. It just gets annoying when almost every fight is againts bosses. Buy this only when it gets cheaper, other wise I recommend this game. Expand

1. Jan 31, 2011
    If you're still itching to waste a few hours on Vanquish, here's some advice: wait until the inevitable price reduction.
    If you like fast paced arcade shooters be it with patchy Japanese sci-fi story with utterly forgettable characters and dialog, Vanquish is your bag.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    As soon as you get behind the tricky controls, the killing of the robot-armies is fun. Sadly, the campaign of the action-blockbuster is very short.