8.3

1. Oct 19, 2010
    Game of the year, everything in this game is perfect, the gameplay is flawless,the graphics are amazing and the history is very good,well done platinum games keep up with the good work.
  2. Oct 19, 2010
  3. Oct 20, 2010
    no replay value for this game,beat the solo mode in 4 hours, you buy it for just 4 hours of gameplay??.... nice!!

no multiplayer mode make this a big fail!
  4. Nov 1, 2010
    This is a review of a half complete Vanquish. The graphics, controls, combat cover system and level design is all top notch nothing more needs to be said, just buy the game and see for your self. There are several brilliant set pieces that are amazing and kind of similar to those in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Bayonetta. This may not be the best game this year (Red Dead Redemption,This is a review of a half complete Vanquish. The graphics, controls, combat cover system and level design is all top notch nothing more needs to be said, just buy the game and see for your self. There are several brilliant set pieces that are amazing and kind of similar to those in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Bayonetta. This may not be the best game this year (Red Dead Redemption, Enslaved, Mass Effect 2) but it is unique and more entertaining than playing Gears of War because the unrelenting action never lets up. I see this as a good thing though I'm sure some of you don't. Expand
  5. Nov 7, 2010
    Better fun, gameplay and guns than Gears Of War, but way too short and no multiplayer holds this back from getting a top score. Worth waiting and buying when it comes down in price - pay about two-thirds of retail because this is two-thirds of a game. Big shame it didn't go the full distance because it could have been a real belter.
  6. Nov 9, 2010
    Could have got much better score from me, probably even a GOTY award from me if it wouldn't have some problems. Never saw annoying lags and bugs, great looking graphics, controls are good if not counting, that you can do evade move only in four dircetions. What problems in this game? Well, first of all, I completed this game on hard in 4 hours, giving you '' What? Did I already completedCould have got much better score from me, probably even a GOTY award from me if it wouldn't have some problems. Never saw annoying lags and bugs, great looking graphics, controls are good if not counting, that you can do evade move only in four dircetions. What problems in this game? Well, first of all, I completed this game on hard in 4 hours, giving you '' What? Did I already completed this game? '' feeling. Even though completing this game gives you a God Hard difficulty option, it doesn't save you from the feeling. For second problem, the end section of the game. At the final sections of the game, you will face boss battles, repeatedly. Worst of all, boss enemies which you had faced before, you will need to fight againts them, again, again and again. It just gets annoying when almost every fight is againts bosses. Buy this only when it gets cheaper, other wise I recommend this game. Expand
  7. Oct 29, 2010
    Mikami did it again. Incredible shooter: fast, furious, vibrating, crisp, smooth and beautiful. It is short? no, it is not. It just last what it has to without getting repetitive. A gem you can not let go if you like shooters and top notch quality action gaming.

8. Nov 1, 2010
    nice game!!!!! this game is good the graphics are nice!!!! game of the year!! it is like lost planet and gears of war!!! but this is the best!!!!
  9. Mar 10, 2011
    Vanquish is a Japanese game. Naturally, it is high in adrenaline and wants to fire as many missiles at you at the same time as possible.
    Also, as with many Japanese games, it is very silly (insert rocket boots joke here). Good dude bad dude storyline, mixed up with a twist which is more of a slow turn at the end.
    The basic premise is that a Russian bad guy (who seems to like the colours
    The basic premise is that a Russian bad guy (who seems to like the colours black and red a lot) decides to fire a microwave at San Francisco. Then you end up on a space ship with robots surrounding you trying to rip your face off. Did I miss something?

The robots are great enemies, popping heads off is still somehow satisfying after just about every game with robots allows you to pop their heads off and there is some variation with walkers seen in Star Wars Battlefront 2, the silver surfer and Megatron from classic Transformers all taking part. Despite this, I feel as if they underplayed the variation, from the first mission I thought I'd face off hordes of unique robots, but I ended up with an occasional megatron and 95% of the enemies being the same standard model which got very boring fighting 3/4 of the way in.

The game is excessively short, being at best 5 hours of campaign (an additional three thousand hours for cut-scenes) with no additional game modes - not even multiplayer. Its not even as if the campaign is highly replayable - it really isn't which surprised me.

Vanquish is not a bad game, it has lots going right for it, but the short campaign and monotony really don't do much good for the 50 dollar price tag it had on release. Despite these shortcomings, I'm awaiting a Vanquish 2, where hopefully there will be some variation to break up the combat, a longer, less cinematic based campaign and hopefully a few new features such as maybe a hoard one to go up against the game's major competitor, the ever present and huge 'Gears of War' franchise.
  10. Jun 14, 2011
    Hands down, VANQUISH was the most enjoyable gaming experience I've had thus far on the XBOX 360. Rather than rattle on about this and that, I'll highlight the highs and lows. POSITIVES: epic soundtrack, fantastic visuals, engaging combat system, complex but intuitive layout/upgrade paths, solid voice acting, and more "holy &#$#" moments than any other game I've ever played. Ever.Hands down, VANQUISH was the most enjoyable gaming experience I've had thus far on the XBOX 360. Rather than rattle on about this and that, I'll highlight the highs and lows. POSITIVES: epic soundtrack, fantastic visuals, engaging combat system, complex but intuitive layout/upgrade paths, solid voice acting, and more "holy &#$#" moments than any other game I've ever played. Ever. NEGATIVES: weapon upgrade system is completely inane (can be circumvented, however, by cleverly swapping out duplicate weapons before upgrading); moronic save system (dying, then restarting from a checkpoint punishes you by removing any accumulated weapon chevrons/upgrades, forcing you to exit to menu screen and reload via the save system unless you want to feel completely underpowered by the final levels); unfortunately incoherent conclusions story-wise--not only did I not understand what, exactly, happened... but I didn't care, either. Up until that point, however, the story does serve its purpose and keeps the action moving along. Despite its shortcomings, VANQUISH is the type of game that will engross and consume you -- if you let it. Expand
  11. Dec 19, 2011
    well concieved, nice graphics (no framerate or tearing for that matter) and excellent gameplay and animation. Its a pity that the game ended so quickly without any multiplayer or co-op added. If it did I would've rated the game a perfect 10 out of 10 and recommend it too everyone one. But overall this game is the best Japanese shooter out there.
  12. Mar 12, 2012
    OK, I know this game came out a year and a half ago but all I got to say is"How did I miss it?" . . . On a whim I picked it up at Fry's the other day for $19.95 and i must say it's the most bang-for-buck game I think I ever stumbled upon. It's a fantastic shooter with heart pounding action and huge robot boss fights. Your character is fully developed out of the box, you are powerful, theOK, I know this game came out a year and a half ago but all I got to say is"How did I miss it?" . . . On a whim I picked it up at Fry's the other day for $19.95 and i must say it's the most bang-for-buck game I think I ever stumbled upon. It's a fantastic shooter with heart pounding action and huge robot boss fights. Your character is fully developed out of the box, you are powerful, the different weapons you have to fight with are powerful and feel great. Once you get used to the mechanics your maneuverability is smooth and essential to your survival. My only complaint is that the story kind of ends abruptly, before you ever fight the really badass badguy, and there's no indication of a sequel at the end either. Oh . . . but what a visual spectacle and really fun this shooter is! Expand
  13. Mar 12, 2012
    wow, this new title of the resident evil creator is awesome, and better than resident evil (for me), the gameplay, controls, graphics, all is fantastic in Vanquish.
  14. Jun 6, 2014
    Vanquish's rocket sliding is one of the greatest gameplay mechanics in any third person shooter. It makes the thrilling, fast paced gameplay even more thrilling and fast paced. The boss fights are excellent and some of the weapons are creative and feel great to use. If you like action games you'll love Vanquish.
  15. Oct 20, 2010
    Enter Vanquish, a game that takes the TPS genre and flips it on its head with craziness. You are Sam Gideon, a special DARPA agent in control of the Augmented Reaction Suit (known as ARS in game). San Francisco is destroyed by turning one of America's space colony's into a weapon of mass destruction. Russian Terrorists calling themselves the Russian Star are to blame for this despicableEnter Vanquish, a game that takes the TPS genre and flips it on its head with craziness. You are Sam Gideon, a special DARPA agent in control of the Augmented Reaction Suit (known as ARS in game). San Francisco is destroyed by turning one of America's space colony's into a weapon of mass destruction. Russian Terrorists calling themselves the Russian Star are to blame for this despicable act. Sam is sent with a crew of Marine's to find the one responsible and take him down.

Now onto the meat of the package, the gameplay. Sam's AR Suit is equipped with some neat abilities. One of the best of them being his ability to boost around the battlefield with thrusters that are attached to certain spots of his suit. This keeps the frantic and fast gameplay intact as you run from enemy's to safer cover, or run in for a melee kill when the opportunity presents itself. Speaking of melee, that's another interesting feature in the game. Instead of swatting at the robot forces with your gun, Sam decides it's more effective to just give them a mean right hook and call it a day. I respect a man who punches a robot in the face, it shows character. This does have its drawbacks however, after you rock the jaw piece of an enemy, your suit will overheat, forcing you to take some cover and wait for the power to come back to the suit. I tended to use my melee attack in 1 on 1 situations, or if an enemy got to close to me. If you try to fly in, kill a foe, and then fly out, well you have another thing coming to you.

Aside from that, there are a variety of different weapons you can pick up as you go about your mission. Though I normally kept my assault rifle handy, I always experimented with other weapons when possible, and it proves quite useful. Sure, you can get through the entire game just using an assault rifle, but it's much more rewarding when you knock back a giant mech into a pit with your LFE gun, or dismember a giant mech with the Disk Cutter then give him a nice swift speed boosted kick across the map. The game rewards you for trying out different weapons, but in the end, you can get through the entire game with the assault rifle, though I wouldn't recommend it as it would really kill the fun of the experience and the versatile weaponry.

On top of all this, there's also the AR mode, which is basically a super slow motion effect that helps you aim. Sure, this has been done all before, but I can't help mentioning it considering it's one of the suit's most useful abilities. It really helps you line up those head shots, or go for weak points (which it also points out when you are in the AR mode). The gameplay is frantic, rewarding, and just down right fun. It can be repetitive if you want it to be, but for those looking to go into Vanquish and take all it has to offer, you'll be often changing your weapons and tactics and finding out different ways to take out your foes.

Not only is the gameplay great, but so are the graphics. Gone are the boring greys and browns that plague just about every single shooting game on the market, if not all of them. This game is full to the brim with whites, silvers, greens, and the occasional blue and red. Heck, there's even a forest level. That's right, with trees! If only the trunks of said trees weren't brown, then there wouldn't have been any brown in this game at all. On top of the amazing visuals, there is also the fluid animation and excellent designs of enemy's and characters. Well, except for Lt. Col. Burns, he looks kind of stupid... but in a funny way that someone who can appreciate cheesy designs (like me) can enjoy. Also considering how quick the gameplay is, I never saw any slowdown.

Last, but not least, the replay factor. The game's single player campaign, on my first run, not specifically rushing through the game, on hard mode, took me about 6 and a half hours. Perhaps that sounds like a bad thing, but in my opinion it's not. It welcomes you to play the game again, beat your high score, and go for a better time. It's very old school in that sense, and I think it was deliberately built to be this way. I love quick games like this, because I can sit down and play them over and over again without having to worry about committing myself to it. Like a Mega Man game, I can sit down and beat it in an hour. I'm sure I'll get this game down to 2 or 3 hours eventually, allowing it to happily be played again because of the fact that it's short, and it's competitive nature with scores, speed running, and leader boards will always have me returning to it. On top of that, there is Challenge Mode, which is basically a survival mode where you have to kill all the enemies in a small arena, and then you get a time after you complete it. If you're into this sort of thing, you'll certainly be going back to beat your time's (or someone else's for that matter). This game is just oozing with replay value, for a person who enjoys that.
  16. Oct 21, 2010
    game of the year.and the best shooter i have ever played.i can't understand why some x-box fan boys don't like it.play it if you can.it makes nothing different;but it mixes all great ideas...
  17. Oct 24, 2010
    Uno dei migliori action shooter arcade degli ultimi anni. Realizzazione tecnica fenomenale, un protagonista carismatico e tantissima adrenalina grazie ad un gameplay veloce e frenetico condito da una miriade di sparatorie furiose ed appaganti, evoluzioni, humor, boss giganteschi e filmati mozzafiato.
  18. Oct 27, 2010
    Excellent game, with fast paced action and incredible visuals. A true homage to third person games.
    Too bad it is too short and there is no multiplayer.
  19. Nov 4, 2010
    This is no doubt a good game. although there may be some minor flaws such as a bad plot, unimpressive weapons, and many battles that fit in with stay here and defend the area group. other than that it is a very enjoyable game.
  20. Nov 15, 2010
    This is probably the best game I've played in a long time. The graphics are fantastic and the framerate is superb and smooth. Cover mechanics are extremely slick and work so well, you won't find yourself accidentally diving out of cover into the firing line of enemies like many other third person shooters. The whole experience is just so extremely fast-paced and fluid. Weapons are variedThis is probably the best game I've played in a long time. The graphics are fantastic and the framerate is superb and smooth. Cover mechanics are extremely slick and work so well, you won't find yourself accidentally diving out of cover into the firing line of enemies like many other third person shooters. The whole experience is just so extremely fast-paced and fluid. Weapons are varied enough for you to find one that suits your style, without providing too many choices to be overwhelming.

I will definitely be playing through this again on a higher difficulty, and I have not bothered to do that in a game for a very long time! I think this is a definite must-play.
  21. Dec 6, 2010
    A perfect package all around. Takes the standard third person combat that seems to be the standard these days and changes it up in unique ways. It has amazing visuals, an over the top and absurd story involving russian space robots, and game mechanics that are simple on the surface but complex underneath.

Instead of scripted events or cutscenes where all the "cool stuff" happens, which is common, you actually have the ability to do most of that "cool stuff" in the game itself if you put time and effort into mastering the controls.
  22. Jan 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game - for those who loved Bayonetta - this is another slice of gameplay pefection. Imagine Gears of War 2 with slighly more intuitive controls and a max payne slowdown.
  23. Jan 22, 2011
    THIS GAME IS JUST AMAZING!!! By far one of the most innovative games out this year, and one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen. This game starts and never stops. It is a thrill ride that will keep you on the edge of your seat. If you want a new experience, then buy this awesome masterpiece... you WILL enjoy every minute of it!
  24. Apr 15, 2011
    An amazing game, with exciting visuals and fast-paced game play. The AI is passable and relatively smart, the level design is well-done, and the bosses are large and intimidating, making your fight for survival even more intense. Disregarding the minor technical issues (voice-lips not syncing up), a SLIGHT issue with repetitive gun fights in between bosses, no multiplayer, and the lack ofAn amazing game, with exciting visuals and fast-paced game play. The AI is passable and relatively smart, the level design is well-done, and the bosses are large and intimidating, making your fight for survival even more intense. Disregarding the minor technical issues (voice-lips not syncing up), a SLIGHT issue with repetitive gun fights in between bosses, no multiplayer, and the lack of replay value, this is by far one of the best games of its type. Expand
  25. Jun 7, 2011
    I have to say,this game is a HELL OF ALOT OF FUN! its been a while,since i've had just this much fun while playing a game.One that puts a smile on your face while doing so.. It all feels very cool.The graphics are very impressive,& the setup story involving.The gameplay is down to basics,flat-out,no strings attached,entertainment,while it lasts.. & thats the problem.It doesn't lastI have to say,this game is a HELL OF ALOT OF FUN! its been a while,since i've had just this much fun while playing a game.One that puts a smile on your face while doing so.. It all feels very cool.The graphics are very impressive,& the setup story involving.The gameplay is down to basics,flat-out,no strings attached,entertainment,while it lasts.. & thats the problem.It doesn't last anywhere near as long as you'd want it to,& should have done.For that reason,i wouldn't recommend paying full price for this,& is why it didnt get a higher mark.If they make a sequel(& i hope they do),I think we all agree,that it'll need to be a significantly longer campaign. Expand
  26. Aug 29, 2011
    Awesome, though a bit "i've seen this before". Doesn't matter how many hour you spend to complete it, you will be stuck to the couch and whishing that the next wave of enemies comes in. The storyline doesn't kill, but it's enough to keep the interest until the "The End" moment arrives. Gorgeous colorful-but-techie-looking graphics, a nice amount of different weapons to use, andAwesome, though a bit "i've seen this before". Doesn't matter how many hour you spend to complete it, you will be stuck to the couch and whishing that the next wave of enemies comes in. The storyline doesn't kill, but it's enough to keep the interest until the "The End" moment arrives. Gorgeous colorful-but-techie-looking graphics, a nice amount of different weapons to use, and looooooooots of enemies to destroy in such creative ways like using your boosters to pass under the bigger ones, then jump behind them and unloading a pack of ammo without blinking. Challenging enough to enjoy the ride. Great battles against the big bosses all over the course. A "must have" and now more than ever at the reduced price. Just a couple of things more: AWWWEEEEESOME Soundtrack and sound effects getting you in the middle of a really-what-the-frakk-is-this-chaos battles. ¿A Con?. After all is kind of a high-tech remake of Gears of War. But, true story, i doesn't matter at all.

ENJOY!
  27. Nov 17, 2011
    Dear lord this game was so massively overlooked. It had the duck and cover fighting of Gears of War mixed with actual speed. The game gives you so many options and guns as to how you would like to approach the given situation. I promise if you try this game, you will NOT be disappointed. The only thing I can honestly knock this game over is the way in which you level up weapons. You findDear lord this game was so massively overlooked. It had the duck and cover fighting of Gears of War mixed with actual speed. The game gives you so many options and guns as to how you would like to approach the given situation. I promise if you try this game, you will NOT be disappointed. The only thing I can honestly knock this game over is the way in which you level up weapons. You find weapon drops that increase ammo, which is not uncommon for the genre. To level up a weapon, you must find these drops while having full ammo for the weapon, hence increasing the exp. However, all this really means is that in order to work up your favorite gun, you have to not use it. As bad as that sounds on paper though, it is overlooked by the other great things this game does. Get it. It's like 10 bucks now!! Expand
  28. Nov 20, 2011
    Its too bad not enough people bought this game, they cant make a sequel from what i hear. That sucks, because Vanquish has got some of the best shooting mechanics of all time! The gameplay/shooting is like Gears of War, but WAY faster, and in my opinion better. The setting on a spacestation is pretty cool. The story is not so cool, but it does an ok job. But who cares the gameplay is soIts too bad not enough people bought this game, they cant make a sequel from what i hear. That sucks, because Vanquish has got some of the best shooting mechanics of all time! The gameplay/shooting is like Gears of War, but WAY faster, and in my opinion better. The setting on a spacestation is pretty cool. The story is not so cool, but it does an ok job. But who cares the gameplay is so good. Hope this helps. Expand
  29. Mar 13, 2012
    Just go buy this game, seriously. It's similar to Gears Of War... on ACID. Superb gameplay, excellent graphics. This is a total sleeper-hit and 100% worth your time.
  30. Mar 17, 2012
    This game might be over a year old now, but it's a real gem. Third person shooting mechanics similar to Gears of War/Mass Effect, yet much more refined, making for swift easy transition between cover and strafing. Fun, powerful weapons and melee attacks makes each battle an absolute joy to take part in. The story is of course extremely corny and overblown (something about evil RussiansThis game might be over a year old now, but it's a real gem. Third person shooting mechanics similar to Gears of War/Mass Effect, yet much more refined, making for swift easy transition between cover and strafing. Fun, powerful weapons and melee attacks makes each battle an absolute joy to take part in. The story is of course extremely corny and overblown (something about evil Russians capturing a space station shooting a laser beam and killing some Americans, so it's time to fly up there and stop them from doing it again), but I honestly paid no attention to the story as I was too busy exploding robots! Graphically this game is beautiful and has extremely high production values. The sound and high tempo music is very fitting too. The controls are superb and put other 'one-button-for every-action' games like Gears of War and Mass Effect to shame really. My time with Vaniquish was completely bug free too - everything did what it was supposed to and nothing every failed. Vanquish is also quite challenging in a fun way simply because it has checkpoints often and offers you a varied amount of weapons to tackle each situation. THE only real issues I have with the game are the overall length - took me about 8 hours to complete on hard, which is a little underwhelming. Also, the lack of multiplayer was a real shame too. This game definitely would have benefitted from a co-op/horde mode as the gameplay is superb and would led itself well to some multiplayer action. Also, however brilliant the game is at everything it does, it is a little unoriginal and I was never fascinated by the story or the setting. Luckily the gameplay is so good, that I mostly didn't care. If you love fast paced action shooters with superb gameplay - look no further! It's just a shame Vanquish 2 will probably never happen. Expand
  31. Mar 26, 2012
    an extraordinary game, full of frenetic action and speed. Japanese´s product and the clear signal that they too know how to do shooters up to the top.
  32. May 18, 2012
    Totally bonkers.. The story leaves a little to be desired but the game play is so slick.. Nice graphics not alot of replay value.. this is worth checking out second hand..

good game..
  33. May 20, 2012
    DMC+ Gear of War on steroids.
  34. May 28, 2012
    Great solid game. Great fast paced gameplay in sci if world.
  35. Jun 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many complaints about the lack of multiplayer, I think the gameplay is might better and tighter for not including it and I wish more games like this would come out with a single player focus. It's short, but with slick, arcade style action and a good scoring system it's a lot of fun to play through more than once. One of my favorite third person shooters thanks to it's fast and wild gameplay mechanics, slick design, and cornball story. It's a bargain bin game now and well worth picking up. Expand
  36. Nov 14, 2012
    Well I suppose I deserved it. This was one of those games people buy because they wanna look hardcore on a game forum. The Japanese niche title like Godhand. And like Godhand this game sucks too. It is an obvious Gears of War rip off. The pluses are a great frame rate, fluid and fast combat, a slide that is useless, and a pretty environment. The bad is that environment is the only one onWell I suppose I deserved it. This was one of those games people buy because they wanna look hardcore on a game forum. The Japanese niche title like Godhand. And like Godhand this game sucks too. It is an obvious Gears of War rip off. The pluses are a great frame rate, fluid and fast combat, a slide that is useless, and a pretty environment. The bad is that environment is the only one on the game, the combat is boring, the bosses are all "shoot the orange spot on the _____" and the story is barely passable. Another thing is these lame Japanese games with these characters that are over the top. Its cheesy and awful and not in a good way. Also characters that smoke are not cool. Snake could not be cool so this pansy isn't gonna be cool either. There is a reason this was a $20 bargain bin game a month after it released. Mikami has really lost his touch as of late. This game just had no reason to exist. Sega wants to know why they are broke. Games like this Sega. Games like this. After the great Bayonetta, I expected more from Platinum Games. Expand
  37. Jan 16, 2013
    I love the system, high risk, high reward, great slick stylish action, zooming around on your knees with flames shooting out the back like Iron Man. But - it's just too short! And there are not enough weapons. Plus the melee system makes no sense to me. You hit one enemy, and your own armour gets depleted? Melee attacks in this game are not THAT powerful to warrant such aI love the system, high risk, high reward, great slick stylish action, zooming around on your knees with flames shooting out the back like Iron Man. But - it's just too short! And there are not enough weapons. Plus the melee system makes no sense to me. You hit one enemy, and your own armour gets depleted? Melee attacks in this game are not THAT powerful to warrant such a disadvantage. It's a shame because this really is the greated 3rd person shooter I have played. So much fun, and it's such a challenge. It really punishes you! Jumping out of cover to get that slow motion reward is brilliant. If you sit around in cover all day, blind-firing or just popping up like you do in most games - you will die and you will be punished and made a fool of. It's refreshing to play a shooting game where you are actually supposed to be on your toes. And actually it has amazing boss battles - something most games get completely wrong. But these get your blood pumping and really are enjoyable! Expand
  38. May 30, 2013
    This has got to be one of the most underrated games of all time. This is a gem, a short gem, but none the less amazing. Unique thruster combat, and add in splosions and bullets flying everywhere, Vanquish doesn't fall short and is worth playing.
  39. Jun 9, 2013
    The fourth title from the talented Platinum Games, creators of the excellent Bayonetta, Vanquish is a fast paced sci-fi shooter/action title that sees Sam Gideon tasked with reclaiming an orbital space station from Russian terrorists.

The stereotypical sci-fi plot is actually the games weakest element and is easily ignored for the most part in favour of the games fantastic action and unique twist on third-person shooting. Throughout the game Sam will find a number of weapons ranging from the standard machine guns and shotguns to more unusual weapons such as a lock-on laser. Although only three weapons can be carried at once the frequently found weapon crates allow the player to change their set often in order to adapt their tactics depending on the situation. A responsive cover system is also present and its use is vital to survival because Vanquish is a difficult game right from the outset. I died 49 times on my first play through despite the fact that Sam's AR suit slows down time when the player is close to death in order to give them a chance to find shelter. One frustrating element to the combat is the one hit kill mechanic employed by some of the bosses. A visual and audio warning is usually given before they unleash these attacks but it is still irritating to get close to beating a difficult enemy only to make one mistake and be killed.

What really helps to differentiate Vanquish however is the boosting mechanic. Sam's suit is equipped with a set of boosters that allow him to slide around the battlefield and incredible speed. Boosting allows the player to keep themselves out of harms way but must be used sparingly as it quickly causes the suit to overheat.
    A number of set pieces help to break up the combat and the player will find themselves battling on high speed trains or trying to escape a collapsing freeway during the games thirty or so missions.

Vanquish may not be a particularly long game, seven or eight hours is a standard sort of time, but thanks to its stat tracking and extra challenge modes there is plenty of replayablity making Vanquish a truly underrated action title that deserves a bigger audience that it has thus far received.
  40. Jun 24, 2013
    If you're looking for a badass, fast paced game with awesome gameplay and set-pieces, then this is the game for you. Vanquish has, without a doubt, the best mechanics and gameplay of any 3rd person shooter I've ever played. In no time, you find yourself sliding across the floor, shooting in slow motion at giant killer robots in space. The graphics and framerate of this game are excellent,If you're looking for a badass, fast paced game with awesome gameplay and set-pieces, then this is the game for you. Vanquish has, without a doubt, the best mechanics and gameplay of any 3rd person shooter I've ever played. In no time, you find yourself sliding across the floor, shooting in slow motion at giant killer robots in space. The graphics and framerate of this game are excellent, which is shocking. In games like this, usually you'd expect the framerate to suffer. However, in Vanquish, it never once dips.

People complain that the story of the game is weak. However, the issue with this argument is that the story isn't important. The story is just enough so that you have an objective and context. That's all it has to be.

The other common complaint with this game is that it's too short. This is partially true. The game takes about 5 hours to beat. With that there are bonus missions to tackle, which adds some more length to the game. The game is short and sweet, which is far better than a longer and padded out game.

All in all, this game is definitely a must play. I'd recommend it to any action fan/3rd person shooter fan.
  41. Nov 25, 2013
    Simply the best shooter ever! Pure action and acrobatic mecha action, what a great experience, please make part 2! Perfect graphics and gameplay, shinji mikami masterpiece
  42. Apr 28, 2014
    After the slightly disappointing ( in my opinion) Bayonetta, i wasn't expecting much from PlatinumGames' new game Vanquish. when i got it, though, i was blown away!! everything i want in video games is here: slow motion shooting, big bosses, giant explosions and great graphics. also, one more thing, get out of your seat and go buy it!!! i got this for £4 as well.
  43. Nov 8, 2014
    Vanquish is one of my favorite games of the past generation, the reason? The gameplay is really awesome, cool, funny, and intense; the graphics are fantastic, the level design is brilliant, but the only problem that I found on Vanquish is the replay value, and the game time; Vanquish is really short, but don't care, because the big part of the game is fantastic.

1. Jan 31, 2011
    If you're still itching to waste a few hours on Vanquish, here's some advice: wait until the inevitable price reduction.
    If you like fast paced arcade shooters be it with patchy Japanese sci-fi story with utterly forgettable characters and dialog, Vanquish is your bag.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    As soon as you get behind the tricky controls, the killing of the robot-armies is fun. Sadly, the campaign of the action-blockbuster is very short.