8.3

1. Oct 19, 2010
    Game of the year, everything in this game is perfect, the gameplay is flawless,the graphics are amazing and the history is very good,well done platinum games keep up with the good work.
  2. Oct 19, 2010
  3. Nov 1, 2010
    This is a review of a half complete Vanquish. The graphics, controls, combat cover system and level design is all top notch nothing more needs to be said, just buy the game and see for your self. There are several brilliant set pieces that are amazing and kind of similar to those in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Bayonetta. This may not be the best game this year (Red Dead Redemption,This is a review of a half complete Vanquish. The graphics, controls, combat cover system and level design is all top notch nothing more needs to be said, just buy the game and see for your self. There are several brilliant set pieces that are amazing and kind of similar to those in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West and Bayonetta. This may not be the best game this year (Red Dead Redemption, Enslaved, Mass Effect 2) but it is unique and more entertaining than playing Gears of War because the unrelenting action never lets up. I see this as a good thing though I'm sure some of you don't. Expand
  4. Oct 29, 2010
    Mikami did it again. Incredible shooter: fast, furious, vibrating, crisp, smooth and beautiful. It is short? no, it is not. It just last what it has to without getting repetitive. A gem you can not let go if you like shooters and top notch quality action gaming.

5. Nov 1, 2010
    nice game!!!!! this game is good the graphics are nice!!!! game of the year!! it is like lost planet and gears of war!!! but this is the best!!!!
  6. Jun 14, 2011
    Hands down, VANQUISH was the most enjoyable gaming experience I've had thus far on the XBOX 360. Rather than rattle on about this and that, I'll highlight the highs and lows. POSITIVES: epic soundtrack, fantastic visuals, engaging combat system, complex but intuitive layout/upgrade paths, solid voice acting, and more "holy &#$#" moments than any other game I've ever played. Ever.Hands down, VANQUISH was the most enjoyable gaming experience I've had thus far on the XBOX 360. Rather than rattle on about this and that, I'll highlight the highs and lows. POSITIVES: epic soundtrack, fantastic visuals, engaging combat system, complex but intuitive layout/upgrade paths, solid voice acting, and more "holy &#$#" moments than any other game I've ever played. Ever. NEGATIVES: weapon upgrade system is completely inane (can be circumvented, however, by cleverly swapping out duplicate weapons before upgrading); moronic save system (dying, then restarting from a checkpoint punishes you by removing any accumulated weapon chevrons/upgrades, forcing you to exit to menu screen and reload via the save system unless you want to feel completely underpowered by the final levels); unfortunately incoherent conclusions story-wise--not only did I not understand what, exactly, happened... but I didn't care, either. Up until that point, however, the story does serve its purpose and keeps the action moving along. Despite its shortcomings, VANQUISH is the type of game that will engross and consume you -- if you let it. Expand
  7. Mar 12, 2012
    OK, I know this game came out a year and a half ago but all I got to say is"How did I miss it?" . . . On a whim I picked it up at Fry's the other day for $19.95 and i must say it's the most bang-for-buck game I think I ever stumbled upon. It's a fantastic shooter with heart pounding action and huge robot boss fights. Your character is fully developed out of the box, you are powerful, theOK, I know this game came out a year and a half ago but all I got to say is"How did I miss it?" . . . On a whim I picked it up at Fry's the other day for $19.95 and i must say it's the most bang-for-buck game I think I ever stumbled upon. It's a fantastic shooter with heart pounding action and huge robot boss fights. Your character is fully developed out of the box, you are powerful, the different weapons you have to fight with are powerful and feel great. Once you get used to the mechanics your maneuverability is smooth and essential to your survival. My only complaint is that the story kind of ends abruptly, before you ever fight the really badass badguy, and there's no indication of a sequel at the end either. Oh . . . but what a visual spectacle and really fun this shooter is! Expand
  8. Mar 12, 2012
    wow, this new title of the resident evil creator is awesome, and better than resident evil (for me), the gameplay, controls, graphics, all is fantastic in Vanquish.
  9. Jun 6, 2014
    Vanquish's rocket sliding is one of the greatest gameplay mechanics in any third person shooter. It makes the thrilling, fast paced gameplay even more thrilling and fast paced. The boss fights are excellent and some of the weapons are creative and feel great to use. If you like action games you'll love Vanquish.
  10. Oct 20, 2010
    Enter Vanquish, a game that takes the TPS genre and flips it on its head with craziness. You are Sam Gideon, a special DARPA agent in control of the Augmented Reaction Suit (known as ARS in game). San Francisco is destroyed by turning one of America's space colony's into a weapon of mass destruction. Russian Terrorists calling themselves the Russian Star are to blame for this despicableEnter Vanquish, a game that takes the TPS genre and flips it on its head with craziness. You are Sam Gideon, a special DARPA agent in control of the Augmented Reaction Suit (known as ARS in game). San Francisco is destroyed by turning one of America's space colony's into a weapon of mass destruction. Russian Terrorists calling themselves the Russian Star are to blame for this despicable act. Sam is sent with a crew of Marine's to find the one responsible and take him down.

Now onto the meat of the package, the gameplay. Sam's AR Suit is equipped with some neat abilities. One of the best of them being his ability to boost around the battlefield with thrusters that are attached to certain spots of his suit. This keeps the frantic and fast gameplay intact as you run from enemy's to safer cover, or run in for a melee kill when the opportunity presents itself. Speaking of melee, that's another interesting feature in the game. Instead of swatting at the robot forces with your gun, Sam decides it's more effective to just give them a mean right hook and call it a day. I respect a man who punches a robot in the face, it shows character. This does have its drawbacks however, after you rock the jaw piece of an enemy, your suit will overheat, forcing you to take some cover and wait for the power to come back to the suit. I tended to use my melee attack in 1 on 1 situations, or if an enemy got to close to me. If you try to fly in, kill a foe, and then fly out, well you have another thing coming to you.

Aside from that, there are a variety of different weapons you can pick up as you go about your mission. Though I normally kept my assault rifle handy, I always experimented with other weapons when possible, and it proves quite useful. Sure, you can get through the entire game just using an assault rifle, but it's much more rewarding when you knock back a giant mech into a pit with your LFE gun, or dismember a giant mech with the Disk Cutter then give him a nice swift speed boosted kick across the map. The game rewards you for trying out different weapons, but in the end, you can get through the entire game with the assault rifle, though I wouldn't recommend it as it would really kill the fun of the experience and the versatile weaponry.

On top of all this, there's also the AR mode, which is basically a super slow motion effect that helps you aim. Sure, this has been done all before, but I can't help mentioning it considering it's one of the suit's most useful abilities. It really helps you line up those head shots, or go for weak points (which it also points out when you are in the AR mode). The gameplay is frantic, rewarding, and just down right fun. It can be repetitive if you want it to be, but for those looking to go into Vanquish and take all it has to offer, you'll be often changing your weapons and tactics and finding out different ways to take out your foes.

Not only is the gameplay great, but so are the graphics. Gone are the boring greys and browns that plague just about every single shooting game on the market, if not all of them. This game is full to the brim with whites, silvers, greens, and the occasional blue and red. Heck, there's even a forest level. That's right, with trees! If only the trunks of said trees weren't brown, then there wouldn't have been any brown in this game at all. On top of the amazing visuals, there is also the fluid animation and excellent designs of enemy's and characters. Well, except for Lt. Col. Burns, he looks kind of stupid... but in a funny way that someone who can appreciate cheesy designs (like me) can enjoy. Also considering how quick the gameplay is, I never saw any slowdown.

Last, but not least, the replay factor. The game's single player campaign, on my first run, not specifically rushing through the game, on hard mode, took me about 6 and a half hours. Perhaps that sounds like a bad thing, but in my opinion it's not. It welcomes you to play the game again, beat your high score, and go for a better time. It's very old school in that sense, and I think it was deliberately built to be this way. I love quick games like this, because I can sit down and play them over and over again without having to worry about committing myself to it. Like a Mega Man game, I can sit down and beat it in an hour. I'm sure I'll get this game down to 2 or 3 hours eventually, allowing it to happily be played again because of the fact that it's short, and it's competitive nature with scores, speed running, and leader boards will always have me returning to it. On top of that, there is Challenge Mode, which is basically a survival mode where you have to kill all the enemies in a small arena, and then you get a time after you complete it. If you're into this sort of thing, you'll certainly be going back to beat your time's (or someone else's for that matter). This game is just oozing with replay value, for a person who enjoys that.
  11. Oct 21, 2010
    game of the year.and the best shooter i have ever played.i can't understand why some x-box fan boys don't like it.play it if you can.it makes nothing different;but it mixes all great ideas...
  12. Oct 24, 2010
    Uno dei migliori action shooter arcade degli ultimi anni. Realizzazione tecnica fenomenale, un protagonista carismatico e tantissima adrenalina grazie ad un gameplay veloce e frenetico condito da una miriade di sparatorie furiose ed appaganti, evoluzioni, humor, boss giganteschi e filmati mozzafiato.
  13. Nov 15, 2010
    This is probably the best game I've played in a long time. The graphics are fantastic and the framerate is superb and smooth. Cover mechanics are extremely slick and work so well, you won't find yourself accidentally diving out of cover into the firing line of enemies like many other third person shooters. The whole experience is just so extremely fast-paced and fluid. Weapons are variedThis is probably the best game I've played in a long time. The graphics are fantastic and the framerate is superb and smooth. Cover mechanics are extremely slick and work so well, you won't find yourself accidentally diving out of cover into the firing line of enemies like many other third person shooters. The whole experience is just so extremely fast-paced and fluid. Weapons are varied enough for you to find one that suits your style, without providing too many choices to be overwhelming.

I will definitely be playing through this again on a higher difficulty, and I have not bothered to do that in a game for a very long time! I think this is a definite must-play.
  14. Dec 6, 2010
    A perfect package all around. Takes the standard third person combat that seems to be the standard these days and changes it up in unique ways. It has amazing visuals, an over the top and absurd story involving russian space robots, and game mechanics that are simple on the surface but complex underneath.

Instead of scripted events or cutscenes where all the "cool stuff" happens, which is common, you actually have the ability to do most of that "cool stuff" in the game itself if you put time and effort into mastering the controls.
  15. Jan 22, 2011
    This is a fantastic game - for those who loved Bayonetta - this is another slice of gameplay pefection. Imagine Gears of War 2 with slighly more intuitive controls and a max payne slowdown.
  16. Jan 22, 2011
    THIS GAME IS JUST AMAZING!!! By far one of the most innovative games out this year, and one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen. This game starts and never stops. It is a thrill ride that will keep you on the edge of your seat. If you want a new experience, then buy this awesome masterpiece... you WILL enjoy every minute of it!
  17. Aug 29, 2011
    Awesome, though a bit "i've seen this before". Doesn't matter how many hour you spend to complete it, you will be stuck to the couch and whishing that the next wave of enemies comes in. The storyline doesn't kill, but it's enough to keep the interest until the "The End" moment arrives. Gorgeous colorful-but-techie-looking graphics, a nice amount of different weapons to use, andAwesome, though a bit "i've seen this before". Doesn't matter how many hour you spend to complete it, you will be stuck to the couch and whishing that the next wave of enemies comes in. The storyline doesn't kill, but it's enough to keep the interest until the "The End" moment arrives. Gorgeous colorful-but-techie-looking graphics, a nice amount of different weapons to use, and looooooooots of enemies to destroy in such creative ways like using your boosters to pass under the bigger ones, then jump behind them and unloading a pack of ammo without blinking. Challenging enough to enjoy the ride. Great battles against the big bosses all over the course. A "must have" and now more than ever at the reduced price. Just a couple of things more: AWWWEEEEESOME Soundtrack and sound effects getting you in the middle of a really-what-the-frakk-is-this-chaos battles. ¿A Con?. After all is kind of a high-tech remake of Gears of War. But, true story, i doesn't matter at all.

ENJOY!
  18. Nov 17, 2011
    Dear lord this game was so massively overlooked. It had the duck and cover fighting of Gears of War mixed with actual speed. The game gives you so many options and guns as to how you would like to approach the given situation. I promise if you try this game, you will NOT be disappointed. The only thing I can honestly knock this game over is the way in which you level up weapons. You findDear lord this game was so massively overlooked. It had the duck and cover fighting of Gears of War mixed with actual speed. The game gives you so many options and guns as to how you would like to approach the given situation. I promise if you try this game, you will NOT be disappointed. The only thing I can honestly knock this game over is the way in which you level up weapons. You find weapon drops that increase ammo, which is not uncommon for the genre. To level up a weapon, you must find these drops while having full ammo for the weapon, hence increasing the exp. However, all this really means is that in order to work up your favorite gun, you have to not use it. As bad as that sounds on paper though, it is overlooked by the other great things this game does. Get it. It's like 10 bucks now!! Expand
  19. Nov 20, 2011
    Its too bad not enough people bought this game, they cant make a sequel from what i hear. That sucks, because Vanquish has got some of the best shooting mechanics of all time! The gameplay/shooting is like Gears of War, but WAY faster, and in my opinion better. The setting on a spacestation is pretty cool. The story is not so cool, but it does an ok job. But who cares the gameplay is soIts too bad not enough people bought this game, they cant make a sequel from what i hear. That sucks, because Vanquish has got some of the best shooting mechanics of all time! The gameplay/shooting is like Gears of War, but WAY faster, and in my opinion better. The setting on a spacestation is pretty cool. The story is not so cool, but it does an ok job. But who cares the gameplay is so good. Hope this helps. Expand
  20. Mar 13, 2012
    Just go buy this game, seriously. It's similar to Gears Of War... on ACID. Superb gameplay, excellent graphics. This is a total sleeper-hit and 100% worth your time.
  21. Mar 26, 2012
    an extraordinary game, full of frenetic action and speed. Japanese´s product and the clear signal that they too know how to do shooters up to the top.
  22. May 20, 2012
    DMC+ Gear of War on steroids.
  23. Jun 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many complaints about the lack of multiplayer, I think the gameplay is might better and tighter for not including it and I wish more games like this would come out with a single player focus. It's short, but with slick, arcade style action and a good scoring system it's a lot of fun to play through more than once. One of my favorite third person shooters thanks to it's fast and wild gameplay mechanics, slick design, and cornball story. It's a bargain bin game now and well worth picking up. Expand
  24. Jun 24, 2013
    If you're looking for a badass, fast paced game with awesome gameplay and set-pieces, then this is the game for you. Vanquish has, without a doubt, the best mechanics and gameplay of any 3rd person shooter I've ever played. In no time, you find yourself sliding across the floor, shooting in slow motion at giant killer robots in space. The graphics and framerate of this game are excellent,If you're looking for a badass, fast paced game with awesome gameplay and set-pieces, then this is the game for you. Vanquish has, without a doubt, the best mechanics and gameplay of any 3rd person shooter I've ever played. In no time, you find yourself sliding across the floor, shooting in slow motion at giant killer robots in space. The graphics and framerate of this game are excellent, which is shocking. In games like this, usually you'd expect the framerate to suffer. However, in Vanquish, it never once dips.

People complain that the story of the game is weak. However, the issue with this argument is that the story isn't important. The story is just enough so that you have an objective and context. That's all it has to be.

The other common complaint with this game is that it's too short. This is partially true. The game takes about 5 hours to beat. With that there are bonus missions to tackle, which adds some more length to the game. The game is short and sweet, which is far better than a longer and padded out game.

All in all, this game is definitely a must play. I'd recommend it to any action fan/3rd person shooter fan.
  25. Nov 25, 2013
    Simply the best shooter ever! Pure action and acrobatic mecha action, what a great experience, please make part 2! Perfect graphics and gameplay, shinji mikami masterpiece
  26. Apr 28, 2014
    After the slightly disappointing ( in my opinion) Bayonetta, i wasn't expecting much from PlatinumGames' new game Vanquish. when i got it, though, i was blown away!! everything i want in video games is here: slow motion shooting, big bosses, giant explosions and great graphics. also, one more thing, get out of your seat and go buy it!!! i got this for £4 as well.
  27. Nov 8, 2014
    Vanquish is one of my favorite games of the past generation, the reason? The gameplay is really awesome, cool, funny, and intense; the graphics are fantastic, the level design is brilliant, but the only problem that I found on Vanquish is the replay value, and the game time; Vanquish is really short, but don't care, because the big part of the game is fantastic.

1. Jan 31, 2011
    If you're still itching to waste a few hours on Vanquish, here's some advice: wait until the inevitable price reduction.
    If you like fast paced arcade shooters be it with patchy Japanese sci-fi story with utterly forgettable characters and dialog, Vanquish is your bag.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    As soon as you get behind the tricky controls, the killing of the robot-armies is fun. Sadly, the campaign of the action-blockbuster is very short.