6.9

1. Dec 28, 2012
    A lonely, isolated gaming experience, easy to forget and move on with. One of the hardest things about the 'Velvet Assassin' experience is finding the will to finish it. The games efforts to engage audience with the haunting audio only makes the game more boring and unpleasant . Just as the stealth genre continues to fall into commercial hell... the release of Velvet Assassin only justifies this predicament. Expand
  2. Feb 16, 2013
    In this game you play the role of British WW2 spy Violette Summer, a protagonist who really does put the 'ass' in 'assassin'. The missions are presented as flashbacks as Violette lies ill in a hospital bed. Whilst not a masterpiece, this is an incredibly underrated game. The stealth mechanics and actual gameplay is pretty simple; but it is the atmosphere, claustrophobic and haunting, that will stay with you the most. The graphics aren't great but neither are they terrible. The voice work for Violette is quite good.

My main complaint with this game is the absolutely terrible shooting mechanics. While this isn't really as issue for most of the game, it becomes a major gripe for the last two missions :/

All in all, I enjoyed Velvet Assassin much more than I thought I would. There was potential for a sequel too, but I doubt we'll ever see one.

An ambitious experiment from beginning to end, this innovative wartime stealth effort just can't seem to rise above the commonplace level of mediocrity found in a sea of cookie-cutter World War II titles.
    Assassin features flawed stealth action elements that can ruin the gameplay when they go awry, and only point out the hit-or-miss nature of the mechanics when they work well.
  3. Velvet Assassin is very much an enjoyable game, it might not have the high production values of some of its peers, but in general offers a tense, thrilling, and engaging gameplay experience throughout.