7.8

1. Sep 7, 2011
    This isn't a spoiler but it kind of is at the same time. This game is basically shoot Orks that come right at you conveniently and then tap the melee button when they get to you. That's literally it, the extra weapons and accessories don't add any gameplay mechanics whatsoever, just change the nature of the button tapping.

You'll never have to think about what you're doing aside from
    pressing B on 1 in 10 stunned Orks.

The writing and voice acting is cringeworthy and typical of everything you'll be used to and bored of if you're a 40K fan like me. This game could have been so much more (cover plays a big part in the tabletop game, it isn't unrealistic to prefer cover to AP3 weapons like Ork rokkits) but ultimately falls way short. Play the demo and you'll miss nothing from the full game.
  2. Sep 6, 2011
    Amazing. Great blend of melee and ranged combat. The "no cover" system works amazingly well, especially since the only way to regain health is to charge into the enemy and fight "better". No more hiding and running away like other third person shooters, this game rewards you for charging into the fray, as a Space Marine should.
  3. Sep 6, 2011
    So far I've really enjoyed this game. The game has a decent narrative (about what you'd expect from the genre), adequate controls and good graphics/sound which helps create atmosphere. Game is very focused on bringing the space marine experience to the player and you get a good feel for what it's like to be a giant armored killing machine. Difficulty is low to moderate on normal. Controls are a bit loose and shooting isn't as good as in some of the other shooters I play frequently but that might be because they want to encourage melee. Online play is fun. I haven't had a lot of time to play online but when I did I enjoyed it. Level system will imbalance games for people getting started. Got killed a lot by higher lvl players with better weapons. Game does allow you to copy the gear of the enemy who killed you which helps mitigate this disadvantage. All in all this is one of the few game purchases I've bought this year that I'm happy with which is the best praise I can give. Worth a buy if you enjoy warhammer. Collapse
  4. Sep 6, 2011
    Game is freaking awesome! MP is a blast, as it's different than the regular FPS MP.

This is definitely the sleeper hit of the year as it didn't get the exposure of some of the other games being released. Combat from melee to range is seamless and tonnes of fun hacking at Orks and then blasting them with your bolter.
  5. Sep 7, 2011
    Love this game, great campaign and amazing online play, this game is a must have, on top of the free online co-op they will add in oct, hands down my fav game side from halo. For those ppl that are not 40k fans warhammer 40k has had the gears of war style armor, long before gears of war all though this is a new style for 40k game play, you could say gears of war is a rip off of warhammer 40k.
  6. Sep 6, 2011
    Awesome! I was not expecting this game to be so much fun, the demo does not do it justice! The melee attacks are well done with lots of gore and great sound! Definite BUY!
  7. Sep 7, 2011
    Crunchy, Visceral Melee... what a killer game - action/story/40k through and through.
    The story shines, as does the character interactions : and it's a decent length, took me 17 hours to complete.
    MUCH better than GOW in my opinion.... 10/10.
  8. Sep 7, 2011
    Its not that space marine innovates in any way, but its a game that delivers pure fun. Combat feels satisfying, pacing is well done, and fans of the series are really going to get what they paid for.
  9. Sep 6, 2011
    This game frigging rocks!!! I'm totally not a 40K fan boy but the shooting and melee mechanics combined with the violence blood fest is a brutally brilliant combo. This game definitively gives Gear of War 3 a run for its money.
  10. Sep 6, 2011
    This game really lets you be a Space Marine, and that's good! Great pacing and a good variety of weapons keep it interesting. Playing it on Hard is really a challenge since you cannot just charge into the fray, stun an enemy then execute kill to heal.. You need to tactically plan your assault (defense) then be mindful on which enemies to execute to heal. Multiplayer-wise, it feels like Transformers War for Cybertron without the transforming, which is great and the endless customization options are a great addition to the game. All in all, It's a good game even though I've only familiarized myself with Warhammer 40k lore with the game, Dawn of War 1 and 2. Hoping for more Xenos and mutants to kill on the sequel, hopefully (I'm looking at you, Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids, Tau, Dark Eldar). Expand
  11. Sep 7, 2011
    Space Marine : Gears of War :: Modern Warfare : Halo. I had extremely high expectations for this game and it delivered. There were only a few instances that I found a little buggy(usually with regards to mounting turrets), but aside from that the game was superb. I do also see the Assault Marine/Raptor class a little overpowering in multiplayer but I am pretty sure that will get rectified by people adapting play styles to match or by an update. Expand
  12. Sep 7, 2011
    Great game. The combat is fast, fluid and brutal. The gun-play is heavy and rewarding. The special "kills" are second to none and absolutely over the top violent. So far, Warhammer: Space Marine is one of my top games of 2011. I can't wait for the sequel.
  13. Sep 7, 2011
    I was quite surprised with how fluid the combat was in this game. Orkz from afar? Use the bolter, and when they get in close, don't worry about changing weapons again, hitting the melee button will automatically pull out your chain sword to let the blood bath begin. For those that claim that the voice acting in game is sub par, then they obviously haven't played a Warhammer 40,000 game by relic before, or even understand the thought that went behind making the space marines sound the way they do. They are rigid and mostly devoid of emotion, other than righteous fury, and that the way they sound in game. Multiplayer is fun and I like the fact that their are 3 different character types and TONS of customization options for your character. I think this is the sleeper hit of the year and will give Relic a good starting point for Space Marine 2 Expand
  14. Sep 7, 2011
    This game is a beast,
    the singleplayer just owns, all the 40k variations of weapons needed for true fan to love this game. The action and tension is just great. Storymode makes me wanna say shut up and take my money.
    Even though multiplayer supposed to be just an addition, it's more than that despite what some cry babies from Gears of War say is very balanced, people just need to realize
    there is no COVER system because you are a freaking SPACE MARINE Adeptus Astarties for God Emperor's sake.
    On top of that in 30 days free DLC exterminatus mode, something like LAST STAND from Dawn of War II Co-op... how freaking awesome is that?
  15. Sep 8, 2011
    Great, they fill the gap between Shooter and Hack´n Slay, i wasn´t sure after the demo but now, it´s just fun great mechanics great battles simple but it got all you need. Also so much options to create your own Space Marine/ Chaos Space Marine. Single Player got a cool story thats not boring at any part of the 12 hours game play. As a Warhammer fan a must have, everyone else should take a look it´s be worth Expand
  16. Sep 8, 2011
    Its an ok game. Worth a look once it comes down in price or has a massive balance patch in multi-player. Here is an in depth review of the flaws the game has vs the perks.

Extremely noticeable flaws: There are some massive overpowered items in the multi-player game mode. Some of the weapons/abilities are always going to be used over the others. Some abilities do not even work properly.
    Some weapons do not work properly.

Example: I left click to shoot the plasma cannon, it either fires with a quick tap or with a full charge, no in between. Trying to fire it rapidly screws it over, trying to charge it gets you zerged by anything but other devastators. On an odd note once fully charged its an instant kill weapon or two hit weapon. Also it doesnt require the user to be fully still before the fire. What is it that we notice here. First off, broken firing mechanics, second, overpowered full charge, third, ability to charge behind cover and shoot around a corner.

Example 2: Assault pack, they can equip a martyrdom style perk, where if they die the thing explodes. This causes a few issues, first it can be instant kill if you are close to them. Devastators cannot get out of range in time. Second if they toss two grenades down and land on top of them to kill themselves (e.g. suicide run) it is an overpowered situation. They need to reduce the damage on the assault packs.

Another big issue is that the campaign is far too easy, even on hard. The first time I played through was on hard, I died a total of five times due to trying to learn the maps and getting put in bad situations I am not prepared for.

What would make this game better? Co-operative campaign, a bit better enemies that aren't a pushover. An ending that doesn't fail miserably. A boss fight that is more challenging than the previous mini-boss fights. Tons of balance tweaks, which should have been done before it was released. Also a very nice combo system that isnt this 1, 2, 3, 4 left click to do combo, instead to take skill in melee. Right now a good Assault marine or a devastator with plasma cannon will always dominate anything,

I hate to say it but this game is about as good as "TAU: Fire Warrior." Except instead of being a shooter of its own THQ cloned Gears of War.

If they were to do a mix of battlefield series and savage 2 for a Warhammer 40k game they would do justice to the series, but they will never do this since they just do not understand the universe. Their close inner workings with games workshop still ended up in failure.

This game is moderate, not good, not extremely bad, but it needs a massive overhaul.

Am I having fun with it though? Absolutely, its fanastic gory slaughter. Mindless and repetative.
  17. Sep 7, 2011
    Campaign review - this is a fun little game so far. The shooting feels pretty tight and its gobs of fun to pick off orcs and watching them explode. The melee attacks and combo chaining are pretty addicting and of course results in over the top blood-splattering. The graphics are pretty good, not stellar but good enough for an action romp like this one. They did a nice job with sound effects too, your guns and the various explosions resound with deep bass if you have the audio set up for it. This was gonna be a tide-me-over game until the big titles drop at the end of the month and October but I am pleased that this one is able to hold its own and provide such a good time. Expand
  18. Sep 7, 2011
    Excilent game and portrayal of the 40K universe. Combat is brutal, bloody, and on a large scale. Controls are a bit of a pain, but not unplayable. Game still has a few teething issues, exspecialy in multiplayer, but for new releases, that's to be expected. Well worth the buy for 40K fans, action fans, or players just wanting a bloody, violent game to endulge in. Too many comparisons with Gears of War by fans too butt-hurt over this game being better. Expand
  19. Sep 8, 2011
    For lovers of the 40k universe, the detail that Relic has put into this game is phenomenal, gameplay is arcadey but great fun - nothing like GoW. For the Emperor!
  20. Sep 8, 2011
    One of the most refreshing games I've played in a while. Combat is really fluid, and the kills and take-downs are second to none. I'm hoping for a sequel! I also love Mark Strong's voice-work.
  21. Sep 9, 2011
    All I can say is that this game rocks! I'm not even a longtime fan of warhammer. The game has an awesome single player and an awesome multiplayer. I have not had this much fun in multiplayer since the original halo. Go out and get this now.
  22. Sep 7, 2011
    Great game. Weapons feel great, beating enemies to pulp via melee is very satisfying after a long, stressful day, and the environments are stunning.

Multiplayer is a lot of fun but unfortunately has only two game modes and a limited number of maps. Hope they'll expand on that via DLC soon.
  23. Sep 7, 2011
    Man, someone has to be manipulating the user scores on this game. I played Space Marine and loved it, almost every other written user review is between 8-10, and yet the overall user score is only around 5. That means a whole bunch of people must have given the game a score of 1, which is total nonsense. There's no way anybody in their right mind would vote this game a total failure without any redeeming qualities. Expand
  24. Sep 9, 2011
    Tight controlls. Ok story. Interesting enemies. Multiplayer is fun but lacking game modes Buy if your already a 40K fan. If not its at least a rent. As usual the trolls and morons are droppin 0's on a decent title.
  25. Sep 14, 2011
    Space Marine (Or as the Orks say it, "Spice Marine") is a good game to pass the time, but surely by no means worth $60, at least for the singleplayer. Considering it can be beaten in 2 sittings, I HIGHLY suggest renting it. It's a fantastic rental. But this game will be down to $30-$40 rather quickly. It's good, but it's just not great. Otherwise, you'll enjoy it, beat it, shelf it. And I can't stress this enough. It's REALLY short. Expand
  26. Sep 7, 2011
    fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. fun. let the galaxy burn.
  27. Sep 7, 2011
    lots of people here drinking their lunch character limit rarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrasdrfasdffggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
  28. Sep 7, 2011
    The multiplayer is very intense and fun. The only issue is finding games. It takes 10 minutes to find a decent game, it says something about my nat type and is the only game that gives me a problem like that.
  29. Sep 7, 2011
    It's an ok game.That's it really.A Gears of War style game set in the magnificent 40k universe sounds great.However,with a library full of of lore,why Relic and GW picked such a generic setting and story is beyond even this 20 year Warhammer players understanding.Gameplay is dull,the graphics merely acceptable and the controls are functional.Enemy A.I is a disgrace.A very disappointing title from the makers of the worlds best board game/hobby. Expand
  30. Sep 8, 2011
    This game was a lot of fun to play. I loved going back and forth between ranged and melee combat. The game looked good and had some decent polish, despite a few buggy moments here and there. Probably about an 8/10, but it's clear some people are rating it way to low, so I'll give it a 10.
  31. Sep 7, 2011
    Halfway through the game, and a bit sick of it already. The single player could not be more linear. There is one path, and the mission objectives literally do not matter because there is only one objective, and one way to go. Maybe it changes in the second half, but I doubt it. The gameplay is all about shooting at range. When the orks get close, which is usually pretty quick, them engage melee. If there is a big guy turn on the rage or whatever it's called to rip things to shreds, or stun him a lot. That's it. The multiplayer is peer to peer with no dedicated server. Saving is done by save points. I will say that I think the game looks nice though. Gameplay is a repetitious boring sweaty arm pit. Expand
  32. Sep 8, 2011
    Awesome game, heart pumping action and just the way an action game should be that's based in the dark future, been waiting 'so' long for such a game to come out, cant believe it's finally here!
  33. Sep 12, 2011
    A really solid representation of the Warhammer 40k universe. You could argue its a GOW clone and you'd be right cause it is pretty much. But, in terms of aesthetics this game is spot on. The graphics and sound are great. The game-play is a mixed bag on-line, its unbalanced, but generally a lot of funny and pretty satisfying in single-player. I would advise to buy if you love warhammer, buy second hand if you like Warhammer, rent if you like Gears. Expand
  34. Sep 8, 2011
    Multijoueur tout simplement énorme ! à recommander pour les fans de l'univers et amateurs de TPS beat'em all. Le mode solo sympathique sans être particulièrement révolutionnaire. Avec un mode coop qui arrive début octobre, Relic nous livre ici un excellent jeu qui mérite certainement son lot de suite et d'extension. Expand
  35. Sep 12, 2011
    I was looking forward to the campaign and did not expect much from the Multiplayer being the first game; but boy I was wrong, the multiplayer in Space Marine is plain FUN! The combat during the Single Player is Frantic, Brutal and Satisfying! The campaign takes you over 17 chapters at about 9-12hrs depending on your play style. Every chapter has its own missions, weapons (ranged and melee), servo skulls (recorded messages), enemies-of course; and achievements. They are for the most part linear in nature with levels opened enough to move around and make choices. Captain Titus team Leandros and Sidonus are helpful and do not get on your way or strive to get themselves killed, which is great. The Mulitplayer allows you to play three different classes, each with different weapons and perks. You level up as you play in either one of the game modes: Seize Ground or Anihilation over 5 different maps, unlocking new perks, weapons and armor pieces for your Space Marine or Chaos Marine. By the way, the Customizer in Multiplayer is a beast on its own. One can spend hours tweaking every part of the Armor, great for Warhammer fans who grew up painting the tableboard figurines... or for any gamer looking to show off his/her own creation. A co-op "Horde" mode named Exterminatus is set to be released in early October for free. All and all, what makes Space Marines worth your attention is not innovation but the right application of features and the amazing "Fun" factor which is off the hook. Expand
  36. Sep 11, 2011
    Space marine is a great game. The story is interesting especially if your a warhammer 40k fan. It may not be as interesting if you dont follow the universe but still overall its a solid game. Muiltyplayer is really fun, while there isnt a lot of maps or mode at the moment, it is an enjoyable experience.
  37. Sep 13, 2011
    The single player campaign is sublime, and as others have mentioned the graphics, particularly the visual effects shine. Great melee based combat, and shooting. The multiplayer gives more experienced players more classes/abilities/weapons. For me the Jury is still out on that, long term it's satisfying, short term its less accessible.

The cinematics, and story work well, and will delight
    40k fans.

Surpassed my expectations in all areas other than multiplayer.
  38. Sep 9, 2011
    Superb game... Game play is fast, controls are in all the right places, cut scenes look good and story line is well written. More games like this please!
  39. Oct 10, 2011
    Good action game, but could have been much better. It other wise hits the Warhammer 40,000 atmosphere, but it goes for a miss with orks, because of lack of different orks. I was disappointed about the fact, that there's only tankbustas, shoota boyz, 'ard boyz, ork boyz, weirdboys and nobz. The orks were made for variety. I also found Dawn of War version of their speech to be way better. When leaving missed ork potential, the single player is brilliant, though repeatitive. You get to use jump packs, but only few times. The action is great though, thanks to encouraging to rush to the battlefield instead of staying in cover. The multiplayer had a lot of potential, but it's ruined by connection issues. Almost every match I have played is laggy. I don't encounter this problem in games like Halo Reach at all, so it's annoying. The high level players also get much better weaponry, which is annoying. Other than that, the multiplayer is good too. If you like Warhammer 40,000 universe, Space Marine is very good game for you to buy, even though it could have been improved. Even if you haven't been into Warhammer 40,000 universe, it's still good game, but you might find some things bad instead of good (For example, you might find Titus' voice acting horrible, but it actually is right in the Warhammer 40,000 universe). I recommend buying this for the Emperor, even if you are heretic. Expand
  40. Oct 13, 2011
    To put it simply , - if you enjoyed the gore , blood and sheer satisfaction of killing enemies, then THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU! I bought this to kill time, not expecting much... but wow was i surprised! It is incredibly fun to play! If yo'u're expecting some "STORY" turn away now.
    Being a fan of dawn of war, i could immediatly relate to what was happening, who was who... but newcomerswill
    not gen any introductions... NOT WHEN THERE ARE ORKS TO KILL. -1 for lack of story & -1 for a linear experience.+8 for pure fun ! Expand
  41. Sep 24, 2011
    Just finished the game. Can't recommend it to anyone personally. It really felt lazy on the perspective of storyline and gameplay. If you are a huge fan of Warhammer you will also be dissappointed by the lack of races and variety of characters. The difficulty was frustrating due to some enemies being powerhouses and some enemies being weak; all thrown together in one fight. I don't actually know of a reason to buy this game other than the fact that it is well designed on a graphical level. Expand
  42. Oct 3, 2011
    Space Marine is an enjoyable experience. Although it didnâ
  43. Sep 9, 2011
    Great game! Pure action in 40k universe as warhammer should be. Atmospheric and grotesque. Though I'm not surprised that main character is ultramarine, sure many would prefer grey knight or even chaosmarine as a main character. 8)
  44. Sep 12, 2011
    There isn't a lot of depth to the single-player, but what's there is extremely satisfying. The multiplayer has enough options and unlocks to keep you sucked in for weeks (maybe months) trying to get everything, although it's content is a bit sparse as well - only 2 game modes (area control and deathmatch) and a few maps, but Relic is known for delivering loads of content after the fact (look at all the Dawn of War expansions). Hopefully we'll see some choice DLC coming our way. Expand
  45. Sep 11, 2011
    My two cents on Space Marine. The game isn't bad at all, but it's not great either. There will always be reviews that give 0's or 1's in any kind of game but that, as i always say, is just going a bit too far.The graphics are very good, the story is quite interesting even though a bit expected (imo) and the combat is really visceral and satisfying although it's shooting and crushing orcs and demons over and over again. Still, it succeeds to offer quite some fun mostly cause of the different weapons you can use and the sheer brutality of the blows you inflict in melee combat. All in all quite a good game to play although not really offering anything new, apart from the joy of playing a kick-ass space marine. Expand
  46. Sep 11, 2011
    Easily one of the most enjoyable games I've played all year. Wow! There was plenty to mix things up. The addition of new weapons was interesting, but I generally stuck to the axe and hammer once I had them. And the end sequence is incredible. Definitely worth picking up if you like action games or warhammer. Now all we need is a new Space Hulk!
  47. Nov 8, 2011
    A lovely romp through a dystopian, gore filled future! You truly feel like a Space Marine as you wade through hordes of orcs and Chaos Space Marines.
  48. Sep 8, 2011
    Not mad about this game, just wish there was more offered. It seems like everything was created for someone who wasn't familiar with 40k, but sometimes developers forget that the 40k audience is going to be their greatest consumer anyways! This game has great bits to it, but also suffers from mediocrity.
    The action in the single player was great. But pacing seemed to be somewhat of a
    problem on two aspects. The only thing that spiced up combat was when you acquired a new weapon. This happened at a consistent rate throughout the campaign, but it never made up for a lot of the monotony of combat. You might have to turn on a machine here or there, but there is no combat scenario that is really interesting or challenging. There aren't many different enemies between the orkz and chaos, and there is never really any sense of desperation or urgency in combat. Fight. Kill. Rinse. Repeat. Another pacing problem seemed to be with the story, I feel as if too little happened for too long. You never traveled to other planets, you essentially had one goal in the game, you stay on the same planet doing menial tasks to accomplish a slightly more important goal which will eventually lead you to your main goal, which in the sense of the whole Warhammer 40k universe, seemed extremely unimportant. The combat style is very similar to Gears of War - the only difference however is that GOW created interesting scenarios with combat instead of throwing wave after wave of enemies at you. The executions are a nice touch to the combat system, but are certainly not enough to make up for the lulls in the combat.
    The multiplayer is a fresh breath of air, nothing too special here, but definitely something to keep your attention until another 40k game comes out or just any other top-tier multiplayer game like MW3 or BF3. It adds a new perspective to the 40k universe which is really nice. I think it would have been awesome to add more races to the game, at least in multiplayer. the Tau, Necrons, playable Orkz or the Eldar would've made for some very fun multiplayer possibilities.
    All in all - I'm not mad that I bought it, just wished it was a more in depth 40k game.
  49. Sep 10, 2011
    Awesome Game, though not without its flaws. In multiplayer they need some balancing issues resolved between classes, and My only gripe about the campaign is HOW MUCH THEY SAY "SPACE MARINE" in it.....seriously its comedic how often.
  50. Sep 11, 2011
    This is a fine game that many Warhammer 40K fans have been waiting for. It is easy to pick up and not to difficult ot master. The Multiplayer isn't without flaws but is a solid time consumer with many ways to individualise your character/model. With lots of challenges available to keep you coming back for more and unlocking different pieces of armour to give you that unique feel. Yes the multiplayer can be seen as unbalanced but many a times have I had my pants pulled down by a "Noob" using just a bolter. I have found people who complain about it being unbalanced are generally rubbish at it and would struggle to kill someone if they were stood still. Improve your game I say!

The single player isn't the greatest and after reading some of the other reviews moaning about it being linear, well, all you need to do is look at the majority of any shooter games and it's pretty much a single path you have to take with absolutely no other options than to follow what is set before you. So yes it is linear but then most games are. But with an interesting story set in a fictional universe and with the fact I was a massive Games Workshop fan as a child I absolutely love this game! Combat systems are basic but enable a novice to take up the mantel and perform well. Seasoned gamers may find this annoying and limited. I've been playing games since the days of the Spectrum ZX and its refreshing to have a simple game every now and then. With free DLC coming out at the start of next month it is certainly worth investing in. The only reason I gave it 9 instead of 10 is due to the lag issues sometimes on multiplayer.

Kegg -I-
  51. Sep 11, 2011
    I really enjoyed it. Maybe Gears of War is a better game, but I Really enjoyed it. Cool graphics, great atmosphere and so much action that you will feel like a real Space Marine. I hope there will be DLC soon. The graphic engine is very good and the game run very smooth. The game is not very difficult on Normal level. Lot of fun.
  52. Sep 14, 2011
    très bon jeux dans le style Gear of war un mode campagne plutôt cour, mais un mode multi intéressant
    avec de nombreuses armes en tout genre et une évolution de l'armement je le conseil au fan de l'univers warhammer 40k et a se qui ne connaisse pas
  53. Sep 14, 2011
    The game is really great. Don't go into multiplayer with any preconceived notions though. Its can be tough getting use to the more subtle parts of the game mechanics in multiplayer. The space marines move like you are steering a boat. Once you get the hang of it though, its pretty rewarding experience. The game is lite on variety of maps and game types, but I am hopeful that the DLC will fix that. There are flaws, none are deal breakers IMO. Expand
  54. Sep 15, 2011
    Space Marine provides a fun and engaging single-player campaign. The story is well done and fits the universe of Warhammer 40k very well. The voice acting isn't the best on the market, but it is still quite good and the actors play their roles well. The action doesn't get stale at any point and you really feel like you're in the role of a super human trained for war and battle-hardened without things getting too easy. Space Marine plays like a mixture of shooter and action game, with a good combo and execution system for melee and switching to first-person while aiming down the sights. There isn't a real cover mechanic to the game which doesn't hurt at all because you're supposed to be big, bad, and able to take down hordes of enemies and you get the feel of being heroic. That doesn't mean you can just charge into situations without thinking, however, knowing how to take down certain enemies and when to charge in slashing and when to withdraw firing away are key aspects of the game.

All that said, the multiplayer is where the game shines. With three different classes providing a variety of combat roles and multiple setups for each and two game modes, for now, no one should get bored any time soon. While the game is technically a third-person shooter the shooting feels very first-person while the melee action gives the ease of third-person combat, making both viable gameplay options. Overall the gameplay ends up feeling like a combination of Call of Duty's fast pace with Battlefield's tactical gameplay. Oddly it compares better with those than the current big name in third-person shooters, Gears of War.

While fanboys of other games may try to denounce it as just another clone, Space Marine is definitely cut from different cloth and has its own fit in the shooter genre. In the end the only reason I can't justify a 10/10 for the game boils down to how many shooters are on the market and not nowing how much support the game will receive from THQ. If you love shooters or are a fan of other Warhammer 40k games you really can't go wrong with Space Marine and it'll be a great grab.
  55. Sep 20, 2011
    Nothing new in this shoot'n'slash action game. But for what it does, it does it well. Not everyone is into romanesque space marine stuff, but at the least it is comical. The gameplay is fully realized, and entertaining. Unless you are way into the 40k universe, there is no story here.
  56. Oct 7, 2011
    I didn't love Warhammer games because they were strategy and boring for me but now it's awesome shooter where orks AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
  57. Oct 10, 2011
    Great game, especially the online play. Sure, there are some downsides to the single player (You get really tired of people saying 'space marine' and the sets felt a bit bare to me at times) but I'm not sure why people are complaining about it being linear. The vast majority of shooters tend to have pretty damn linear campaigns, it should be expected at this point. I don't buy Call of Duty and expect Elder Scrolls. But, I digress. The multiplayer is where its at in this game, anyone that says its imbalanced has the adaptability of a slug. Having achieved Level 41 and all the weapon unlocks (the Armor of Hate is a slog, the only thing I haven't completed yet), I think its safe to say I've put some time into this. What's keeping me from rating this a 10 is that the multiplayer isn't expansive enough yet. There are currently only 5 maps (some of the most balanced and best designed maps I've ever played in any game) and only 2 game modes, so you'll pretty quickly play everything. However, I have yet to stop enjoying it. If they release more maps/gametypes (CTF perhaps?) then this is easily a 10 for me. Expand
  58. Oct 17, 2011
    Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine will undoubtedly hold the most appeal for players of Games Workshopâ
  59. Nov 8, 2011
    Great game, love the online and the melee animations are great! Im a smidge biased because i am a 40k anyways but from a stricly video game point of view this is a very fun game. A bit reminiscent of Gears of war but gears of war was a good game so thats no big deal. but a great game to pass the time and hours of fun online!
  60. Sep 13, 2011
    For a product that was highly anticipated and heavily marketed, it turned out to be only mediocre among a sea of modern shooters and action packed titles. What little fun factor there is wears off after the first half of the game, once the enemies transition from Orkz to Chaos. There isn't much satisfaction in the kills and parts of the game turn out to be annoying and irritable, when you ought to be having fun. I know many people that are familiar with THQ and the WH40K universe are saying to themselves the dev team could have done a better job with Space Marine. Expand
  61. Sep 8, 2011
    This games single player is really the only thing that can really be played, it's multiplayer is imbalanced and has little to no content. The single player campaign is 'meh' at best, between simplistic melee controls and the millions of bugs/glitches such as allies doing nothing, sync kills disappearing into walls etc. Worth a rent at most
  62. Sep 26, 2011
    I really liked playing Space Marine. The graphics are good but there needs to be more done such as adding extra gore, as when I melee someone, it isn't fun.

The only major complaint with the game is that it kinda forces you into using melee too much, and doesn't let players play the game the way they want to play.

The voice acting needs some work, the characters don't sound tough enough.
    (With the exception of Titus)

With that said the game is very enjoyable, and it is nothing like gears of war, it's better as you don't duck behind cover for about 5 hours before shooting.
  63. Jul 18, 2012
    Despite being fully aware that this game has been out for awhile, I still deem it necessary for me to write a review for those who still may be looking to purchase this game. To be honest, the game is either a hit or miss, depending on whether or not you enjoy the online components. My friend enjoyed the campaign but despised the online, while I enjoyed the campaign and thought the online was OK, but nothing special. Graphically, the game is a little behind its time, although its nothing cringeworthy. Character models look decent enough but environments rapidly become bland and uninspired, blurring together to paint a brown, depressing world. A world that is so brown and depressing that any compulsion to really want to save it shoots down the crapper in my opinion. Its already a crumbled wasteland anyway, might as well cut losses and leave. The entire story takes about 10-12 hours to complete, starting off as an exciting melee/shoot-em up but quickly becoming a repetitive shooting gallery. The storyline is highly predictable and unengaging and the boss battles are uninspired and occasionally cheesy. The final boss fight was hilariously bad, causing me to die because I was laughing so hard. Characters throughout the game are somewhat generic, unrelatable, and fail to make any sort of connection with the player whatsoever. I literally did not even know one of the main character's names until I was 3/4's of the way through the campaign. However, why this game lacks any campaign-oriented co-op is beyond me, as I feel that this game is perfect for it. Enemy variety is decent enough but the combat scenarios presented to you periodically rapidly tire. Overall, the game isn't very challenging, save for a few cheap deaths that never happen twice. Even when you change the difficulty of the game, it feels the exact same. In fact, I would go so far as to recommend starting the campaign on the highest difficulty due to the lack of differences between them. Despite these negatives, the campaign is still an experience worthy of your time, masterfully blending tight shooting controls with brutally satisfying melee combat. Weapons are a blast to use and are extremely balanced for the most part. The Exterminatus Mode, (also known as Horde Mode, but with orcs), is a nice free addition that allows you to annihilate mobs of orcs and Chaos Marines with your friends. The online component, as mentioned earlier, is a hit or miss. While many fans feel that it is underrated, I completely disagree with this. The online is solid, for the most part, but still manages to fall victim to poor design and map choices. As is the trend with all online competitive shooters, you play matches, rank up to unlock new perks and cosmetic gear, and essentially try to maintain a high K/D ratio. Or at least, that's how most of the other players play the game. Camping is somewhat heavy online, and the weapons and perks allow to you accomplish this easily. Raptors/Assault units are all equipped with jetpacks, creating an unbalanced experience where the best players are jetpack-heavy and annihiliate the newer players that stick to ground combat. It's the type of game where players who invest more hours into the online will become far more powerful than new people. Perks are solid and the vast amounts of unlockable armor pieces and weaponry definitely grants many hours of gameplay. Weapon challenges are plentiful and the climb to maximum rank (41) is extremely long. Matchmaking is about as scarce as you would expect while attempting to get into a full game. It's easy enough to jump in but expect to see some familiar names from past matches that you have played before. The Space and Chaos Marine customization is pretty robust, but lack of really unique pieces of equipment prevent a ton of variation in appearances, save for color schemes. Team balancing is a little on the embarrassing side, where you will join games where there will be 8 players that are all maximum rank on one team while your team has 6 players with no one above 30. This doesn't always happen, but I feel that it happens enough to mention. Overall, Space Marine is a solid enough package to look into, especially if you're a fan of the series (which I'm not). The shooting is tight, melee combat is brutal, and the online offers tons of hours of gameplay if you're willing to ignore some of the glaring issues Expand
  64. Oct 10, 2011
    The game is okay. About halfway through, you start repeating everything already done. The game is very linear and very dry story. Its pretty so the kids like it.
  65. Nov 11, 2011
    Here we go I grew up on WH 40K way back when it all began I've seen every game since the original space hulk on pc, space crusade, space hulk on saturn on ps 1, chaos gate, rites of war, liberation, firewarrior what were they thinking on this very very badly designed, dawn of war 1,2, kill team was basic but so much fun they should allowed to mutiplay online..So thinking after seeing games like GOW and Darksiders almost like copy of what a space marine game should be like..What they came out with was not to bad a effort but it just missed that extra punch, they missed out heaps of weapons hell master chief had more stuff to use and the armoury of a space marine is huge yet you only ge to use a little bit...Your telling me that all the game testers not one of them played WH 40K and didn't put there hand up and say your kinda missing something...Yeah sure a normal human could move at the same pace as a space marine really the LT could have won the war on her own..What happened to multiplayer on the story mode if GOW and Aliens colonial marines can do it why cant the space marines..Again very over hyped just wait to price drop give it a few weeks they usually do.. Expand
  66. Apr 5, 2012
    Fun Fun Fun! Did I mention this game is fun?! Perfect blend of Hack-N-Slash and Shooter! This game does a phenomenal job of throwing literally dozens of orcs at you at one time. The story is actually interesting and your missions have purpose. I highly recommend this sleeper hit.
  67. Sep 8, 2011
    Campaign Mode Review:

Graphics: No breakthroughs, but definitely not dated and pleasing to the eye. Art design was good, no lack of material from Games Workshop to go on and they kept the look and feel. Animations are solid and play well without any glitches.

Sound: Score was ok and in theme. Voice acting was clearly on a budget. It wasn't horrible, but the dialogues felt stale.
    Voice actors just reading their lines...didn't really feel connection to their situation or the theme. This is an over-the-top gothic sci-fi / fantasy IP...the acting did not convey that at all....and the lines were cheese as well.

Story: Short and formulaic, especially if you played the the other Warhammer 40K titles by THQ (which are WAY better games). Don't expect heavy plot and forget about any twists.

Gameplay: Ouch. This is where the game gets really ugly. It really brings it down to the very basics. You move around and shoot or melee attack. When you equip yourself with a jump pack, you can actually jump high and smash down upon your foes (probably the most fun out of the whole game), otherwise jumping is not an option, not even tiny little jumps over rocks or crates...you are inexorably tied to the ground. Fortunately you can tumble to evade shots and run, but not crouch. Cover? It's important to allow your shield to recover, but don't expect any special move, action or animation to take cover. Simply move behind an obstacle and stand there....again, no crouching behind short obstacles, they'll just shoot you in the head as you stand there.

Given other games like Assasins Creed or Call of Duty, or pretty much any recent action shooters, I really felt confined with my these limitations. OK, so I don't expect my space marine to run across tight ropes or over roof types, but not even crouching? Not very fun (except for jump packs, that was a lot of fun. Too bad you don't get to use it often enough).

Another really annoying feature (or lack thereof) that has absolutely no excuse: no load/save games. No ability to edit key bindings. NO KEY BINDING OPTIONS??? Are you guys serious? This is marketed as a $50 title? THQ actually published this??

Level Design: Yawn. So linear it practically holds your hand along the whole way. There really is NO decision making whatsoever. No side missions, no nothing extra. You can explore the levels a little more thoroughly, but there is very little incentive to do so at all. The only things you need are ammo refills which are conveniently placed everywhere so you will be hard pressed to EVER run out. The skull thingy's with voice recorded logs are utter rubbish! Adds little to the a very thin story and weak plot. Adds nothing to the game play. In fact, they're quite annoying because you can only listen them from your options menu...so essentially you actually have to stop playing for 10 - 15 second conversation snippets of (mostly) insignificant (and poorly acted) dialogues. Finally, you can get over the whole campaign in less than 10 hours....which is plenty for a game that has nothing new to offer for the latter 5 hours of play.

Summary
    If you're a Warhammer 40K fan, you may briefly enjoy this title, but will be let down by another cheap production of a rich and popular IP. I bought this from Steam for $50 (pre-purchase) because they threw in Darksiders for free. Quite honestly, DarkSiders was sooo much better that they should have really been offering Space Marine as a freebie for a copy of DarkSiders. I'm just glad I got something decent for my money. I believe you will find this available for $19.99 or even $9.99 very soon...which is good because it's not worth more than that.
  68. Sep 17, 2011
    For a full price game, this is disappointing. Single player is short and very linear and exceptionally repetitive (hack, slash, rinse, repeat). However it is passable, if only just. The multiplayer is atrocious. It feels like it was tacked on at the last minute. Here was a chance for relic to do something really epic and create an immersive online experience like say, Bad Company 2. There could of been heaps of classes (tactical, tech marine, librarian etc) and vehicles (predators, razorbacks etc) and large game worlds. Instead all we get are a handful of tiny maps, 2 game modes (that weren't even called something 40kish like "burn the heretic") and 3 classes. What a total waste of the licence relic. what were you thinking? Expand
  69. Mar 23, 2012
    Played this game on hard mode start to finish in a day, was all day mind but its a bit short regardless. Also the story is a tad predictable. Negatives out of the way i had alot of fun with this game, as a fan of warhammer the feel was just right, blters felt right, chainswords felt right, jump pack sections were fun and brutal and the space marines, orks and chaos all felt right wich was a concern when getting the game.

One for the warhammer fans

ignore my other review that says 10. 8/10 is my official score
  70. Sep 25, 2011
    - I find the camera angles to be unforgivable. Half the time it's extremely difficult to target around the way you want and if you're up against a wall or something and the camera changes funny, you're dead. - this game is kind of simple because one shot mobs run at you to die so you just keep killing over and over. -while fighting and you perform a skill, your guy gets "locked" which I don't mind, but the mobs still hit you while your doing it or stuck in animation. its really annoying to be killing a harder mob and finally get it dazed, hit the correct button to siphon life and after you've actually done it and in animation, another mob kills you. - good environment and world detail. looks like a star wars world a bit from space where they had the furnaces, but when you land it looks more like a ground version of Corusant.. buildings stretch out for miles.

-No or very little profanity. Excellent job! A lot of these games put it in just for shock value but hearing cursing every few minutes for no good reason is old already. I liked it better in the old days when you played a game and got surprise to hear the word "Damn". Now, it's commonplace and cuss words just replace adjectives. There is also no gratuitous "booty shots" at all in the game and no talk about sex. I like that I can just play it without my kids hearing cussing in the next room or sexual innuendos.

- weapons are nice if not simple for the most part compared to other games. The hammer is OP. after you use that you don't even want the chainsaw anymore. Plasma pistol and hammer are great. Everything else is kind of boring to use so I just use those most of the time when I can although it's fun to group a bunch and set off the Vengence launcher.

-multiplayer is ok but its not my fav in this genre.

-decent story and nice to follow.

Overall I give a 7, good game to rent but I'm not buying it
  71. Oct 13, 2011
    WEAK GAME! The story was way too short and very predictible. The game is a mix between God of War and Gears of War, a pedigree that it does not live up too. The multi-player is the only reason anyone should ever play this game, and even it is not that good. Weapons choices are lacking and the combat is a bit wonky. This game is not worth anyone's money, the only good reviews I've heard come from Warhammer 40k fanboy's who love this game on the bases that it is a Warhammer game. If you want epic combat play God of War or Gears of War. If you want good multi-player, wait for Modern Warfare 3 or Battlefield 3, don't waste your money on this piece of crap. Expand
  72. Nov 19, 2011
    This game is so NOT good, i watched my friend play it and i fell asleep many times during those repetitive orc fighting parts( most of game), and bad voice acting (all the orcs have Australian accents). Please, if you own an XBox 360, get Gears of War 3 and not this, if you own a PS3, save your money...seriously, wouldn't even take this game for free.
  73. Dec 21, 2011
    Very, very linear plot and character progression. Whether or not one likes the RPG elements of Dawn of War II, it is hard not to think of the missed opportunities for character and kit development when trudging through the singleplayer campaign. At no point do you have much sense of the macabre and gothic themes that have developed during the past decades of Warhammer 40k, instead you must fight endless hordes of the same enemies as you progress through similar set-piece battles.

The lack of a cover system is likewise almost unforgiveable given other recent third-person shooters. The game is basically the demo over and over again. A disappointing showing from Relic.
  74. Mar 10, 2012
    This is coming from a long time warhammer fan and i can say they got all the elements of a space marine right,the weapons feel right(and look right of course).Their characteristics and their devotion to the emperor are also perfect.Sadly the game is a little bit too slow for my liking but overall a good hack and slash game with an awesome warhammer theme to it.
  75. Mar 21, 2012
    Loved this game, this is an old review, but I played the multiplayer and the single player, and both make you feel like a, well, space marine. I wish they would have allowed you to be different chapters within the game, but I guess that the storyline couldn't have handled that. Ultramarines are kinda the go to guys when you make a game I understand, but I had no problems with this game except that controls felt slightly clunky, but no where near unplayable. It just felt like sometimes you were controlling a lego block. Other than that, there is nothing like using the jump pack in multiplayer to rain death from above :D Expand
  76. Apr 3, 2012
    I was fairly disappointed with this title. The gameplay is pretty average fare, the environments can be bland, and the story is just alright. This is coming from a Warhammer 40k fan, I believe I would be even less impressed if I was unfamiliar with this universe. The visuals are a mixed bag... some levels are industrial and mind-numbingly plain, while others can be impressive. The jump pack adds some needed diversity, but can only be used at certain moments in the campaign. The combination of a shooting mechanic with melee fighting is a bit different, but just doesn't do enough to set itself apart from other third-person shooters to me. Expand
  77. Apr 15, 2012
    Space Marine is a fun game and enjoyable but compared to other games...it's not great. Campaign was good but lacks on a few things. Multiplayer has the same problom. But still worth your money. Campaign 7/10 Multiplayer 7/10 Space Marine 7.2
  78. May 23, 2012
    Space Marine combines Shooter and Hack and Slay together really well. It is really violent and the gameplay is plain awesome. Singleplayer and multiplayer are both very satisfying, the graphics are nice, the customization-options huge and there are a lot true Warhammer-weapons. Best Warhammer-game so far if you ask me.
  79. Oct 11, 2012
    Do you like clunky games where you can't jump? Oversized characters that slowly move around a redundant feeling map that is filled with overly recycled pieces so much that you don't know if you've walked through the same damn corridor three times already? Perhaps that last sentence was a bit extreme but the amount of times I found myself walking through a level and opening a door only to find the next corridor looked borderline exactly the same, and just as the previous contained no ammo, no enemies, and no visual awe was extremely high. So level design aside, the gameplay was not offering much either. Repeatedly smash this button to melee or pull the trigger to shoot was generic and boring. Visually this game was not spectacular, and the story was an uninteresting pile of garbage. I was entirely disappointed after hearing the praise on GAF and having played with Warhammer models when I was younger. It worked and it wasn't glitchy so I will give them that but damn, this game was a let down. Expand
  80. Feb 21, 2013
    An obviously fantastic game Imagine that when Gears of War meet with the Warhammer 40K All the gore and blood spreading around with it's brilliant combat controls.....and also with the masterpiece soundtrack!
    What else could i say This game is awesome! By the way,there is a totally FREE DLC Exterminatus mode(Survival mode) download in this awesome game How can anyone refuse it Just
    go buy it and love it Expand
  81. Sep 5, 2013
    Great game, here. A very nice blend between ranged and melee combat that prevents the game from getting too repetitive. The storyline is was well done, the writing was good, hell, even the voice acting was great. It's a pretty lengthy adventure, too. It'll take about 8-9 hours depending on what difficulty you play on, and there are hidden audio logs to find that help build on the story of the Ork invasion and the people caught up in it all. This game is well worth it's price of about $20. I highly recommend picking it up, regardless of whether you're a fan of 40k or not. Expand
  82. Jan 17, 2014
    The mechanics and gameplay are like that of Ryse: Son of Rome combined with Gears of War... and a little bit of Halo (jet packs, detachable turrets, little aliens running away from you in fear). This is a super fun game to just pick up and execute your way through the campaign. So maybe the story is lacking something... but hey, go pick up any of those other games I mentioned if thats what you want! This caters to fans of the Warhammer world, not every single gamer on Earth with 15 bucks in their wallet. And it does exactly that. Expand
  83. Sep 6, 2011

1. It eventually becomes too much of a grind. [Dec 2011, p.101]
    Relic Entertainment has done a solid job on Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, taking the studio's knowledge of the IP working on the Dawn of War series for PC, and putting it to good use. With some better thought out set-pieces and more variety in the gameplay and visuals, this could have achieved greatness. As it is though, Space Marine feels like the foundations for a barnstorming sequel, and goodness knows it deserves one, as there's massive potential here.
  3. Nov 14, 2011
    Unfortunately marred by some poorly designed mechanics, gameplay choices and a chunky feel. [Issue#77, p.87]