8.1

1. TimJ
    Jun 5, 2009
    I was initially excited to jump back into Wolf 3D, and was pleased at how well it played compared to my fears of rose tinted lenses syndrome, but something utterly marred my experience. Despite the clever use of connectivity with the upcoming Wolfenstein shooter, the game comes off as an advertisement rather than a $5 re-release. Full page blabs about the new game and a main menu item I was initially excited to jump back into Wolf 3D, and was pleased at how well it played compared to my fears of rose tinted lenses syndrome, but something utterly marred my experience. Despite the clever use of connectivity with the upcoming Wolfenstein shooter, the game comes off as an advertisement rather than a $5 re-release. Full page blabs about the new game and a main menu item dedicated to just a trailer for the new game made this re-release feel cheap and hollow. The original game fit on a single 1.44 in floppy disk, yet this live arcade release bloats to well over 150 mb just for the additional layers of advertising. The old fun, treasure and secrets are still there, but invasive advertising ruins the feel of a classic. Expand
  2. Neal
    Jun 5, 2009
    The XBLA version of Wolfenstein 3D is a straight-up no-frills port of this influential videogame fossil, and is sadly lacking features found in other ports we've seen over the years. Most regrettable is the lack of an automap, as seen in the Atari Jaguar version (1994) etc. Finding your way around all those samey corridors without the map screen is a real chore! OK, you do get The XBLA version of Wolfenstein 3D is a straight-up no-frills port of this influential videogame fossil, and is sadly lacking features found in other ports we've seen over the years. Most regrettable is the lack of an automap, as seen in the Atari Jaguar version (1994) etc. Finding your way around all those samey corridors without the map screen is a real chore! OK, you do get unlockables for the forthcoming Wolfenstein game, and it's only 400 points, but when the XBLA version isn't as good as a console version from 15 years ago you have to wonder why... It is what it is, but it's not all it could have been. Expand
  3. Jun 30, 2012
    If you played the original version of this game then you will expect nothing less... Its complete... nothing added... nothing removed. This is the Wolenstein I grew up with and love.

1. Between its labyrinth maps, dreary gunplay and enemy design, along with repetition that will break some of the most patient players, this is a game that's not worth your time.
  2. Wolfenstein 3D gave birth to the first person shooter genre, but failed to deliver a great game. The remake offers, at most, a little hint of nostalgia and some form of history lessons, but can't hide the fact that the game nowadays isn't fun enough to actually pay for it. And besides that, there are plenty of good alternatives.
    The action is satisfying and there are plenty secrets to find. It's definitely dated and flawed, but this is a game you play for its nostalgic value.