8.3

1. Oct 28, 2012
    Satisfying but often annoying due to a bunch of glitches. Being able to shoot and be shot through a wall, Sectopods appearing out of thin air in the middle of my squadron, hover droids becoming invisible and unusable and numerous more. I also didn't like that when on Overwatch, all of your soldiers will fire at the same time if they see an alien. So even if the first hit kills it, anySatisfying but often annoying due to a bunch of glitches. Being able to shoot and be shot through a wall, Sectopods appearing out of thin air in the middle of my squadron, hover droids becoming invisible and unusable and numerous more. I also didn't like that when on Overwatch, all of your soldiers will fire at the same time if they see an alien. So even if the first hit kills it, any others in your squad that see it still fire and are left defenseless. Maybe that would be the case in an actual scenario. But this is suppose to be turn-based. The game is very good visually. Especially to those who played the earlier versions. But I have to agree with ransom34. It just doesn't feel like a true X-Com game. Your control over the game is very limited. Finally, there is an actual guide to use with this game. It just points out how random this game isn't, one of the strong points of it's predecessors. Expand
  2. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is fun... when it works. Encountered multiple serious bugs that require a mission restart or worse within the first 5 hours of gameplay. Might want to wait for a patch on this one.
  3. Oct 15, 2012
    It is a very good game (especially on the consoles, where this genre is a rarity). The game is very well balanced, that you never feel overpowered and you can not afford to buy everything you need and want. Forcing you to make many long term decisions and compromises. I really loved that. It is not standart strategy "lets build all we can and then attack". I did not liked few strategyIt is a very good game (especially on the consoles, where this genre is a rarity). The game is very well balanced, that you never feel overpowered and you can not afford to buy everything you need and want. Forcing you to make many long term decisions and compromises. I really loved that. It is not standart strategy "lets build all we can and then attack". I did not liked few strategy rules in the missions. For example than many battle results are depending on random numbers. Or that almost all enemies require same strategy to defeat them (it is not so deep like Incubation). But the part at your base will make for it. There you find the true depth of this game. Letting you to choose between many strategies how to play the game. And you will never feel like this is the best ay to do it. Expand
  4. Jan 31, 2013
    Virtually a remake, albeit an updated one, of an almost twenty year old turn-based strategy game X-Com: Enemy Unknown is one of the most nerve-wracking games you’ll ever play. Cast as the commander of an underground base of soldiers designed to fight against a mysterious alien invasion the game really comes in two parts. The first part involves the actual day-to day running of the base,Virtually a remake, albeit an updated one, of an almost twenty year old turn-based strategy game X-Com: Enemy Unknown is one of the most nerve-wracking games you’ll ever play. Cast as the commander of an underground base of soldiers designed to fight against a mysterious alien invasion the game really comes in two parts. The first part involves the actual day-to day running of the base, ensuring sufficient weapons and resources are made available and making sure you can rely on each of the worlds governments for funding are just two examples of the many tasks that you will face. Within just a few hours some very difficult decisions have to be made as losing the support of a country can severely diminish the chances of success. Refreshingly X: Com resists holding the players hand and is quite happy to let you make a mistake early on that makes eventual success extremely difficult.

The second part is a turn based squad tactical simulation that is more exciting than it sounds. Using an isometric view with a fully rotatable camera each soldier can perform two actions per turn from a set list, this usually means either moving or firing but each particular unit often has additional moves such as laying down covering fire that can also be selected. Real tension is added by the fact that should a unit be killed there is no to bringing them back, this is particularly painful when it happens to an experienced member of your squad that you’ve taken the trouble to level up, customise and even nickname.

If ever a game proved that you don’t traditional endless cut scenes to provide an exciting, ongoing narrative then this is the game and even those usually adverse to the strategy genre may find X:Com an entertaining prospect.
  5. Oct 19, 2012
    I played the original X-Com and its sequel Terror From the Deep back in the 90's when they came out and they remain a couple of my favorite games of all time. As recently as a year ago I broke them out again for another go at it, as I have done periodically over the years. This new take on the franchise is long awaited and welcome. There are a few things from the old games I miss, butI played the original X-Com and its sequel Terror From the Deep back in the 90's when they came out and they remain a couple of my favorite games of all time. As recently as a year ago I broke them out again for another go at it, as I have done periodically over the years. This new take on the franchise is long awaited and welcome. There are a few things from the old games I miss, but to nick pick would be a bit prissy considering all the cool aspects of Enemy Unknown. The old ones from the 90's had a bit more options and depth, but considering the constant bombardment of media these days, I don't mind the streamlining and watering down of some of the micromanagement. Back then I didn't mind sinking 3-4 hours on one mission because there was no internet and not as much to do. These days the toughest and lengthiest missions in Enemy Unknown topping out around an hour or so are just fine by me, and even though I dont consider graphics near as important as gameplay and fun, the nice skittering aliens and blodd bursts and explosions are pretty cool considering how dated the 90's stuff is now. All in all, If you are a true turn based strategy fan, this one will be your new crack just as Masters of Magic, Master of Orion, original X-Com and a handful of the other greats have done so well in the past. For those new to the genre, welcome to a nice change of pace to the tired run & shoot someone & get shot & rince & repeat that everyone else is doing these days. Cheers to the best turn based console game of all time. Finally good strategy on my couch, thanks Firaxis! :) Expand
  6. Oct 20, 2012
    For me XCOM: Enemy Unknown takes the best of the original XCOM and refines the rest into a better game in almost every way. I like to start with the negatives which are... 1. The LOS (Line of Sight) can be a bit unrealistic and lead to a frustrating death of a squad member from time to time. For example, I had two soldiers behind a huge metal shipping container, and an alien killed themFor me XCOM: Enemy Unknown takes the best of the original XCOM and refines the rest into a better game in almost every way. I like to start with the negatives which are... 1. The LOS (Line of Sight) can be a bit unrealistic and lead to a frustrating death of a squad member from time to time. For example, I had two soldiers behind a huge metal shipping container, and an alien killed them both in 2 moves from an impossible angle, shooting thru the solid container without damaging it but killing my men... plus the alien had no LOS of my soldiers... frustrating. On the up side, this happens rarely. Because of the randomly rare LOS issue I save my game at the starting of each turn. 2. A minor gripe, but it is annoying to have to use the R & L bumper to switch between team members. Allowing me to just move the cursor over a soldier and selecting them would have been nice. OK, on to the good stuff. There are basically three parts to this game, building a base, putting up satellites and shooting down UFO's, and lastly the turn based tactical assaults with your squad. All this is tied together with a financial system. You have to balance research of new tech, with building your base up, while buying fighter aircraft and launching satellites, while arming and gearing up your squad... and the order in which you do this will make or break you. It can be a difficult to choose a priority, when so many pressing issues present themselves at any given moment... but this is what makes the game great. In the tactical combat part of the game, then alien enemy are as varied as the tactics to take them down. Your squad starts out as a bunch or peons, but if they can survive 10+ missions, they will become elite warriors and the bane of the aliens. It takes time to level your soldiers and resources to arm and armor them. Because of this, you do not want to go Rambo in a mission and get them all killed. Always think a move ahead, when in doubt send up a scout (Assault troop is good at this). And remember, always use cover and Overwatch. My favorite tactic is Rope-a-dope... being, set up an ambush, send my assault solder out as bait, when he makes contact, have him retreat towards the rest of the squad, then blunt the aliens attack with Overwatch fire... then just kill the remaining aliens and watch the rest of them run for their lives. Rinse & repeat. This works in most but not all situations. Some enemies take some creative tactics to defeat. Minor gripes aside, XCOM; Enemy Unknown is an excellent and in-depth tactical game with countless hours of fun to be had. I give it a 9 out of 10 Collapse
  7. Feb 14, 2013
    When I bought the game I thought: "WOW, finally a game like Final Fantasy Tactics"... Well, it's similar, but is not great as FFT. Because there is few classes, very little classes, with few abilities. So I got disappointed... But it's fun, before getting really repetitive. There is some intuitive problems like enemies appearing from nowhere... breaking your strategic sense and becoming aWhen I bought the game I thought: "WOW, finally a game like Final Fantasy Tactics"... Well, it's similar, but is not great as FFT. Because there is few classes, very little classes, with few abilities. So I got disappointed... But it's fun, before getting really repetitive. There is some intuitive problems like enemies appearing from nowhere... breaking your strategic sense and becoming a cheat for them. I needed more diversity, 10 classes or more, and a lot abilities, like was in FFT, the best in genre. But not, get repetitive fast... Expand
  8. Feb 8, 2013
    The base building aspect was neat as was the unit development but the game was ugly and the controls just didn't appeal to me. As for the combat it's like playing chess the video game it's slow and got boring quick and let's be honest it's not exactly difficult so it's like playing chess on a computer who can't win.
  9. Oct 21, 2012
    This is a fake strategy game with about all the complexity of tic-tac-toe. Firaxis tries to make up for this by obscuring the rules and details from the player, which only makes the game more annoying. The replay value is zero, unless you have OCD.
  10. Nov 21, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one of the best games of the 2012! I suggest it to everyone. Specially for everyone who loves turn-based strategy games.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown beginning is very simple and straight-forward. Aliens are invading Earth and player, as the commander of international defence organization XCOM, needs to save Earth! You as base commander need to manage XCOm finances and resources, choose soldiers for missions, and guide them through the battles.

For everyone with tactical thinking it's easy to play with normal difficult. If you think about your moves carefully then you probably not lose any soldier at all. Specially if you have one or two medics with you. But if you are one of players from CoD, who likes to take your team to storming into a UFO crash site, then you need to prepare yourself that your soldiers will die very easily! And you need to replace them again and again. Alien AI is not dumb. So if they see you, they are probably trying to flank you. Or if you are for some weird reasons left your team together in group somewhere, then AI will happily throw some grenades there. So if you make wrong choice your soldiers will suffering. Most combats is quick and bloody!

If your mission is success and soldiers is back, they get EXP and can earn new level. New level gives new skills. Later they even acquire nicknames.

This game is made for PC, but still it's enjoyable for console owners too. Interface is good and easy. Graphics is not best, but because game is really good we can skip that part. :) Same time voice acting is very good and there is a lot nice jokes. I suggest that game to everyone! Specially for strategy game fans! I rarely give 10 points for games. Truth is that last game who got from me 10 points was Fallout II. :) So it means this game is really good! :)
  11. Oct 14, 2012
    I bought this game on a whim 3 hours before launch from steam (which included Civ 5 as a pre-order bonus!) since release I simply haven't stopped playing it! Games like Dishonored (released the same day) sit neglected on my desk. This game has grabbed my attention and I don't think it'll let go for a long while!
  12. Oct 21, 2012
    Plenty of people thought XCOM: Enemy Unknown would be a dumbed down version of the original game. Well, turns out they made it even deeper than the original, especially in the tactical section. Soldiers now have perks, can take cover and flank the opposition, opening up a wide range of tactical options to outsmart your opponent!

This game is addictive as Hell and should be outlawed just

This game is addictive as Hell and should be outlawed just like narcotics! It's a 9/10 from here, but misses out on perfection by not having randomly generated map layouts. Fortunately the game has a big map pool to draw from.
  13. Dec 19, 2012
    Xcom: Enemy Unknown
    Xcom is a re-make of a game released in 1994 of the same name. I remember playing the first game back then and absolutely loving it. It had the right level of strategy to keep a player engaged for months! This is where
  14. Nov 4, 2012
    Once again, Firaxis deserves a major pat on the back. As with the rest of the X-Com loving world, we looked at 2K Marin's upcoming FPS with horror and disgust; they were going to take a good franchise and turn it into idiot chow. Then in comes Firaxis and rescues it. For those who were either not yet gamers in the 1990s or just didn't play X-COM, you ran a team of international militaryOnce again, Firaxis deserves a major pat on the back. As with the rest of the X-Com loving world, we looked at 2K Marin's upcoming FPS with horror and disgust; they were going to take a good franchise and turn it into idiot chow. Then in comes Firaxis and rescues it. For those who were either not yet gamers in the 1990s or just didn't play X-COM, you ran a team of international military experts tasked with saving the world from alien invasion. It took tactical genius, strategic foresight, preparedness, and a sort of cunning on your part to excel. Given the limitations of today's gaming crowd who, let's be honest here, are more twitch gamers than long-term players (which is why 4X, civilization and city builders are on the endangered species list), Firaxis did a great job adapting the grand old warhorse of X-COM to today. The features that were trimmed off weren't too critical (building out multiple bases on multiple continents was a pain, admit it), and what remains is not only a faithful reproduction of the game, but also highly polished and sporting a refined and efficient control mechanic. It's easy to say that a turn-based tactical squad game couldn't survive on a console, and in 99% of cases, you'd be right. X-COM is the exception to the rule; the control interface is powerful yet simple, intuitive, flexible, and provides the player with all of the tools necessary to run a tactical squad through a controller. I'd never believed that it was possible to run a tactical game without a mouse, but Firaxis' X-COM proved me wrong. Gameplay is engaging, missions varied and, with their random-generation mechanic, never repetitive. Soldiers are customizable (mostly), and options for outfitting your squad are powerful enough to allow for great tactical flexibility. This is not a perfect game, though; so the hero-worship ends here and the griping begins. One, the limited squad size in the beginning of the game creates some difficult situations, even on easy difficulty. Two, making money is extremely difficult in the game, which will slow your expansion and improvement of capabilities. And three, there is an aspect of grinding in the game as you just plow through days hoping for either a payday or some magical breakthrough. (Griping ends now.) Overall, I'm quite pleased with X-COM and whether you're an old fan of the franchise or are just thirsting for a game that requires a little more brainpower than aim-and-fire, go ahead and get yourself a copy of X-COM: Enemy Unknown; you should enjoy it. Expand
  15. Dec 3, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a fantastic strategy game. Barring a few minor glitches that happen every once and a blue moon the game runs great and is a blast to play. The game is able to get you into the swing of things early on and you easily get a hang of managing resources and upgrading your capabilities to blast the aliens to hell. Missions are always tense especially if you have high levelXCOM: Enemy Unknown is a fantastic strategy game. Barring a few minor glitches that happen every once and a blue moon the game runs great and is a blast to play. The game is able to get you into the swing of things early on and you easily get a hang of managing resources and upgrading your capabilities to blast the aliens to hell. Missions are always tense especially if you have high level soldiers that you have spent hours specing out and leveling and you don't want them to die. Also on a side note naming them is stupid fun (Rick James tragically died on a high profile mission for me). There are always consequences to failing or succeeding in XCOM which again makes the game tense. It is also very challenging at all turns and the death or injuries of squad members adds another layer of complexity. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is definitely worth your time and I highly recommend it especially if your a sci-fi nerd! Expand
  16. Dec 9, 2012
    Good game but insanely difficult, this remake of an early 90's game does everything well. While the characters may sound a bit cheesy at times, the core is the gameplay and to survive the invasion. However, you won't be surviving for too long as the game never lets up in it's intensity. You slowly go down a path of destruction and, while you may be able to deal with one or two problemsGood game but insanely difficult, this remake of an early 90's game does everything well. While the characters may sound a bit cheesy at times, the core is the gameplay and to survive the invasion. However, you won't be surviving for too long as the game never lets up in it's intensity. You slowly go down a path of destruction and, while you may be able to deal with one or two problems that crop up here and there, the game is built to make the player fail. Meaning, if you don't get through all the story objectives in a certain amount of time, you won't make it. Which is too bad since I enjoyed every aspect of the game and would have loved to have been able to explore each aspect thoroughly. The only other thing wrong with this game is that it's meant to be played on a PC. The game runs fine on the consoles but the way things are set up in the gameplay, you'd be better served if you were able to scroll across the map with a mouse at times. At times, it can be a bit overwhelming, but this is definitely the sleeper hit of the year for me. It's too bad it came out at a bad time or it might have gotten alot more attention. As it stands though, this is easily a game people should buy right now and enjoy for awhile. Just know that it's going to be very tough for newcomers. Expand
  17. Mar 24, 2013
    Its a good thing that a got this game for free when I pre ordered Bioshock Infinite through steam cause if I had spent any amount of money on this crap I would have felt extremely cheated. Now this is the first Xcom game I've played and its probably gonna be the last unless 2k Marin come up with something brilliant with their tactical fps interpretation of the franchise. Im a huge fan ofIts a good thing that a got this game for free when I pre ordered Bioshock Infinite through steam cause if I had spent any amount of money on this crap I would have felt extremely cheated. Now this is the first Xcom game I've played and its probably gonna be the last unless 2k Marin come up with something brilliant with their tactical fps interpretation of the franchise. Im a huge fan of Firaxis Games and their Civilization IP but they seriously dropped the ball, lost the plot, went off their heads bonkers and screwed up when they decided to unleash and curse us with this poor excuse of a game... Expand
  18. Feb 16, 2014
    This is a game that made me feel like strategy type gameplay might be for me. I am not familiar with the old X-Com or Enemy Unknown titles, but this game provided a fresh experience that really stood out among the usual grey and brown shooter games I've seen lately.

The gameplay felt like it had a lot of depth and the expanding skill tree for weapons and equipment upgrades made me really think how I was playing, and take more risky but rewarding strategy in the field. The story was interesting, and over all the game was definitely a title I'd recommend to someone who enjoys things like chess, or strategy type games of any kind.

That isn't to say the game doesn't have things to criticize. The title is very replayable, but in the sense that if you screw up royal in the field once or twice, you'll get to start all over once it becomes apparent that you have zero chance of making a recovery. The games difficulty gave me a very real sense of the stakes, but it has to be noted that if you make a large enough of a misstep in a mission, you might end up in a situation where you can not recover. And your decisions in what you build or how you set up your base can also affect your chances at playing the game through to completion in a drastic manner. If you don't research or discover the right weapons tech or equipment, the game will not slow down to accommodate you. This isn't a bad thing exactly, but do not expect the game to hold your hand while you play.

If you've the stomach for a more serious strategy game that is unapologetically consistent with it's difficulty curve, and have the skill or patience to overcome it, then it's easily a recommend.
  19. Oct 26, 2012
    No, its not as in-depth as the original. No, its not as tense. No, its not as big. Yes, it is one of the best games (in my opinion THE best) of 2012. If you approach this game as a spiritual successor or re-imagining of the original then you will be pleasantly surprise; Just don't go into it expecting the UFO/XCOM of the 90s with updated graphics. Its tense, enthralling, intelligent,No, its not as in-depth as the original. No, its not as tense. No, its not as big. Yes, it is one of the best games (in my opinion THE best) of 2012. If you approach this game as a spiritual successor or re-imagining of the original then you will be pleasantly surprise; Just don't go into it expecting the UFO/XCOM of the 90s with updated graphics. Its tense, enthralling, intelligent, in-depth and the turn-based combat will have you chewing your fingernails out with anxiety. I'm not normally a fan of strategy games but XCOM gets the mixture of action, management, and strategy just right so as to make the game approachable for simpletons like myself. GET IT. ITS EFFING FANTASTIC. Expand
  20. Dec 31, 2012
    X com is an excellent game all around. If you are even remotely interested in this game, and are looking for something instead of pretty much everything else out there... just buy this game already. The graphics are quite capable although not stellar. Your soldiers do look pretty cool while battling, as do the details of your base as you build it. Highly recommend X Com,X com is an excellent game all around. If you are even remotely interested in this game, and are looking for something instead of pretty much everything else out there... just buy this game already. The graphics are quite capable although not stellar. Your soldiers do look pretty cool while battling, as do the details of your base as you build it. Highly recommend X Com, regardless of your interest in strategy games. Its pretty interesting in the sense that one wrong move can cost you. So it can be intense even though its a turn based strategy game, which is a good thing. There is already some DLC out which is not too bad and recommended as it adds a little more story to the game. Just all around quality. Expand
  21. Oct 17, 2012
    great overall game experience. similar enough to the original that it should satisfy an nostalgic fan however don't listen to the spoiled fans who no matter what look for things to pick apart in this game because its a remake. this is a great strategy based combat game and i would recommend it to anyone who's tired of playing first person shooters that may require less strategy and moregreat overall game experience. similar enough to the original that it should satisfy an nostalgic fan however don't listen to the spoiled fans who no matter what look for things to pick apart in this game because its a remake. this is a great strategy based combat game and i would recommend it to anyone who's tired of playing first person shooters that may require less strategy and more brawn. loved it and am hoping to see another installment in the franchise in this style. Expand
  22. Oct 24, 2012
    I needed this to come out! Taking financial simulation, turned based strategy, and life and death decision making is nothing short of genius. I am a huge fan of Valkeria Chronicles on the PS3, so this game is pretty much my cup of joe. Sure the graphics could be better, the loadouts are generic, and the first mission is boring as can be; but who cares if it plays well when all is said andI needed this to come out! Taking financial simulation, turned based strategy, and life and death decision making is nothing short of genius. I am a huge fan of Valkeria Chronicles on the PS3, so this game is pretty much my cup of joe. Sure the graphics could be better, the loadouts are generic, and the first mission is boring as can be; but who cares if it plays well when all is said and done... Me. I will be putting a lot of hours into this game, it is looking to be the GAME OF THE MONTH unless something comes out that is better. We will find out soon when we record. Hear my full review on the show, http://liquidgamer.podbean.com Expand
  23. Feb 22, 2013
    I am not sure if my old review will go away by submitting this one (please forgive my ignorance). I am writing a new review to reconsider my score of eight in favor of a nine. This game deserves it, plain and simple. If you enjoy strategy games, and you play primarily on the Xbox (as I do), then XCOM is definitely a game you should buy (buy a new copy the developers deserve the money andI am not sure if my old review will go away by submitting this one (please forgive my ignorance). I am writing a new review to reconsider my score of eight in favor of a nine. This game deserves it, plain and simple. If you enjoy strategy games, and you play primarily on the Xbox (as I do), then XCOM is definitely a game you should buy (buy a new copy the developers deserve the money and recognition for their game). Expand
  24. Mar 10, 2013
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is great turn-based shooter game for the old XCOM fans and the new XCOM fans. Aliens have invaded earth and the XCOM prject ants to get rid of the aliens from earth in a not-so friendely way. Combat you make your choice t shoot, move, take extra cover and much more an you don't know whats going to happen. As the game goes on you can research better weapons, armour andXCOM: Enemy Unknown is great turn-based shooter game for the old XCOM fans and the new XCOM fans. Aliens have invaded earth and the XCOM prject ants to get rid of the aliens from earth in a not-so friendely way. Combat you make your choice t shoot, move, take extra cover and much more an you don't know whats going to happen. As the game goes on you can research better weapons, armour and some other stuff for your troops. To do that you need money from countries and you gotta choce what countries money you want and its impossible t save all the countries(i've tried). Your troops level up and become very powerful and if they die you feel very sad, but they might have die so others may live. Multiplayer is quite fun were you can have alien units and human units(aliens been great fun). Few erors for this game is the bugs you may experience. Another thing and probally the orst thing is if you don't know how to play your first few play throughs are just hell. I had 4 play throughs until I really got the hand with this game. And the tutorial does not cover everything about the game. Overall a little buggy but a great game. XCOM: Enemy Unknown 8.7/10 Expand
  25. Jan 12, 2013
    This game takes turn based tactics and perfects them. As a fan of Fire Emblem, I can honestly say this game ranks on par with them, or even surpasses them. If you're a fan of tactics, you don't have a lot of recent of options with recent games, but this is a sure buy.
  26. Oct 12, 2012
    One of the best strategy games I have played in the last few years. It's fun, addicting, and your choices have real consequences. Soldier deaths are permanent and wow is the game hard when you ratchet up the difficulty. Fireaxis made a brilliant game and I can't wait for further installments.
  27. Oct 12, 2012
    X-Com is back! After the dissapointment of hearing it will be rebooted as an FPS they made the right call and had Fireaxis the creators of Civilization make a strategy game. It's as fun and addicting as the original was. The graphics are very nice it runs great and the story is very interesting. The multiplayer is really fun as well just needs some more maps.
  28. Jan 4, 2013
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a fantastic twist off of the old UFO defense. Almost every change made for the new game was for the better: graphics, less units to control, more customization etc... but yes, nobody is perfect and there are some flaws. Maps repeat once you play the game all the way through and you can no longer create multiple bases which lowers the replay value. But none of thisXCOM: Enemy Unknown is a fantastic twist off of the old UFO defense. Almost every change made for the new game was for the better: graphics, less units to control, more customization etc... but yes, nobody is perfect and there are some flaws. Maps repeat once you play the game all the way through and you can no longer create multiple bases which lowers the replay value. But none of this has effected me as I absolutely love this game and can look past a few minor blemishes as I am sure is necessary to accept anything in life as 10/10. Except maybe Mila Kunis Expand
  29. Oct 21, 2012
    The game has a fun factor, but it gets repetitive after a few hours. I have stopped playing it because of the repetitive nature of the game. When I first opened the game I THOUGHT WOW! Its look awesome, then after putting countless hours into the game, I found its lacking. I wanted a sandbox style hunter where I felt in control of EVERYTHING! Instead the game has a scripted feel to itThe game has a fun factor, but it gets repetitive after a few hours. I have stopped playing it because of the repetitive nature of the game. When I first opened the game I THOUGHT WOW! Its look awesome, then after putting countless hours into the game, I found its lacking. I wanted a sandbox style hunter where I felt in control of EVERYTHING! Instead the game has a scripted feel to it and it has a story! So every time you play, you must do the same story over and over, and the story begins and end in the same way every time, which sucks. So 1 playthough and you will have your fill, I probably made it 60% of the way through the story, but its so boring now I can't bring myself to beat the game.

I didn't give the game a lower rating because its still a decent game, worth $50? No. Worth $25? Yes. Worth a try? Yes. However after a few hours I am sure you will feel as I do, the game becomes repetitive, and the missions become drawn out to challenging on higher difficulty levels. The game allows you to name your character and customize them fairly well... the bad, your characters die often, so its worth to get the feeling of attachment to them or have a ultimate plan for each character, which ruins the mood. The game has good qualities but I feel the bad outweigh the good slightly, and the game quickly becomes boring.
  30. Oct 30, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a challenging sci-fi, turn-based, tactical game that assigns you as the commander of a military operation, and the first line of defense against an invading alien menace. With most 'Tactics' style games that release these days being typically medieval, XCOM is a breath of fresh air in the genre. Fans of the original XCOM games released back in the 90's may find thisXCOM: Enemy Unknown is a challenging sci-fi, turn-based, tactical game that assigns you as the commander of a military operation, and the first line of defense against an invading alien menace. With most 'Tactics' style games that release these days being typically medieval, XCOM is a breath of fresh air in the genre. Fans of the original XCOM games released back in the 90's may find this new addition to the franchise a little dumbed down, but that doesn't stop it from being an excellent, solid strategy to challenge all who will bravely defend our wonderful planet.

Even on the lowest difficulty, XCOM can certainly provide some challenge to those who may be newer to this type of video game. You start off in command of four soldiers, who each have two moves they can make per turn. Each move can be used for either moving a certain amount of tiles, firing one of two equipped weapons, using one of the soldiers abilities, or simply ducking for cover. The greatest foe in the game is the luck of the roll, as the farther your unit is from an enemy, the lower the chance to hit, but moving in closer will put the soldier at greater risk, and may alert more hidden aliens. Taking cover behind objects on the map can provide you either half cover or full cover, and being smart about when and where you position your troops is necessary, as the game is very unforgiving to your mistakes. The combat can get tense when you fire a shot with an 85% hit chance and it still misses, but with each enemy kill comes a sigh of relief, and with each mission victory, the joy of accomplishment. The easier difficulty settings can help, but later on the difficulty may turn of some strategy noobs. Nonetheless, it's a great system, if a bit more simplified from the original XCOM.

Troops that survive more missions and get more kills will level up, allowing you to give them addition perks and abilities. In addition to leveling up, researching and buying new armors, weapons, and other various tools in your base gives the game much customization. You can also build more labs and workshops in your base to decrease research and build times, as well as other faculties for more researching more advanced upgrades.

Every in-game month a council with review everything you have done in that time, and provide you with further credits. You can earn more credits by sending up satellites to monitor specific parts of the world. When one of these satellites picks up an alien UFO, a short mini-game will begin, where you send out a Reaver jet to attack and, hopefully, destroy it. Once destroyed, you can explore the crash site, kill any remaining alien survivors, and reclaim further resources for studying back at HQ.

In previous XCOM games, the story was deep, long, and memorable. Sadly however, Enemy Unknown's story is very short and simple. The dialog throughout the game is generic and uninteresting, and completing it ends the game, making you either reload an old save or start a new game. The story missions and objectives can be fun, but thankfully you can just keep playing the random missions and shooting down UFOs, extending the game to whatever length fits your fancy.

The graphics aren't totally phenomenal, but many of the animations and designs look excellent. Each of your soldiers are fully customizable in appearance, but designing and coloring your units armor requires you to spend extra cash on dlc. Each alien is memorable in both their looks, and the tactics required to take down each one, and each time a new alien is introduced, comes an interesting mix of fear and curiosity. XCOM isn't without it's bugs however, and seeing people shooting through walls, or textures disappear when they're not supposed to can be sadly frequent.

For those of you who can appreciate a challenge, XCOM is a decent purchase. It may be simplified in some ways compared to the originals, and the odd graphics hiccup will occur, but it remains a very solid and tense strategy game.

Overall score:
    8.7/10
  31. Oct 20, 2012

1. Mar 6, 2013
    By virtue of how it stokes more parts of my brain than any game of the past decade, I’m inclined to consider XCOM: Enemy Unknown one of the most important titles of this generation. This game will test your disaster-management skills, levy you with suffocatingly difficult choices on how to spend your resources and cause you to grow so fond of your chess pieces that each skirmish takes on the flavour of a Whedonesque drama.
    It's like The Sims, but with much shorter life expectancies. [Issue#91, p.66]
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    It's [a] tough and punishing game, but in the best way possible. Every loss compels you onward in the war and the story. Where most games are frustratingly punishing, XCOM delivers a masterclass in challenge and escalation.