8.3

1. Oct 30, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a challenging sci-fi, turn-based, tactical game that assigns you as the commander of a military operation, and the first line of defense against an invading alien menace. With most 'Tactics' style games that release these days being typically medieval, XCOM is a breath of fresh air in the genre. Fans of the original XCOM games released back in the 90's may find thisXCOM: Enemy Unknown is a challenging sci-fi, turn-based, tactical game that assigns you as the commander of a military operation, and the first line of defense against an invading alien menace. With most 'Tactics' style games that release these days being typically medieval, XCOM is a breath of fresh air in the genre. Fans of the original XCOM games released back in the 90's may find this new addition to the franchise a little dumbed down, but that doesn't stop it from being an excellent, solid strategy to challenge all who will bravely defend our wonderful planet.

Even on the lowest difficulty, XCOM can certainly provide some challenge to those who may be newer to this type of video game. You start off in command of four soldiers, who each have two moves they can make per turn. Each move can be used for either moving a certain amount of tiles, firing one of two equipped weapons, using one of the soldiers abilities, or simply ducking for cover. The greatest foe in the game is the luck of the roll, as the farther your unit is from an enemy, the lower the chance to hit, but moving in closer will put the soldier at greater risk, and may alert more hidden aliens. Taking cover behind objects on the map can provide you either half cover or full cover, and being smart about when and where you position your troops is necessary, as the game is very unforgiving to your mistakes. The combat can get tense when you fire a shot with an 85% hit chance and it still misses, but with each enemy kill comes a sigh of relief, and with each mission victory, the joy of accomplishment. The easier difficulty settings can help, but later on the difficulty may turn of some strategy noobs. Nonetheless, it's a great system, if a bit more simplified from the original XCOM.

Troops that survive more missions and get more kills will level up, allowing you to give them addition perks and abilities. In addition to leveling up, researching and buying new armors, weapons, and other various tools in your base gives the game much customization. You can also build more labs and workshops in your base to decrease research and build times, as well as other faculties for more researching more advanced upgrades.

Every in-game month a council with review everything you have done in that time, and provide you with further credits. You can earn more credits by sending up satellites to monitor specific parts of the world. When one of these satellites picks up an alien UFO, a short mini-game will begin, where you send out a Reaver jet to attack and, hopefully, destroy it. Once destroyed, you can explore the crash site, kill any remaining alien survivors, and reclaim further resources for studying back at HQ.

In previous XCOM games, the story was deep, long, and memorable. Sadly however, Enemy Unknown's story is very short and simple. The dialog throughout the game is generic and uninteresting, and completing it ends the game, making you either reload an old save or start a new game. The story missions and objectives can be fun, but thankfully you can just keep playing the random missions and shooting down UFOs, extending the game to whatever length fits your fancy.

The graphics aren't totally phenomenal, but many of the animations and designs look excellent. Each of your soldiers are fully customizable in appearance, but designing and coloring your units armor requires you to spend extra cash on dlc. Each alien is memorable in both their looks, and the tactics required to take down each one, and each time a new alien is introduced, comes an interesting mix of fear and curiosity. XCOM isn't without it's bugs however, and seeing people shooting through walls, or textures disappear when they're not supposed to can be sadly frequent.

For those of you who can appreciate a challenge, XCOM is a decent purchase. It may be simplified in some ways compared to the originals, and the odd graphics hiccup will occur, but it remains a very solid and tense strategy game.

Overall score:
    8.7/10
  2. Dec 2, 2012
    An enjoyable game, but it could've been better. I am a huge fan of the original, so the trimming of much of the intricate base building, micro-managed inventory, expansive research, and varied troop base skills killed much of XCOM: Enemy Unknown's charm. There is also confusion during battle in relation to the Overwatch option (a soldier's line-of-sight is actually through walls?) andAn enjoyable game, but it could've been better. I am a huge fan of the original, so the trimming of much of the intricate base building, micro-managed inventory, expansive research, and varied troop base skills killed much of XCOM: Enemy Unknown's charm. There is also confusion during battle in relation to the Overwatch option (a soldier's line-of-sight is actually through walls?) and there are graphical hiccups galore. I wish there were more customization features for troop management, aircraft creation, and more objects to research. More than fifty percent of my play-through my scientists were getting a paycheck for sitting on their asses because there was nothing for them to do.
    It's damn fun though. Building a dependable core of troops is as rewarding as gaming gets; situations in which injuries often knock your best troops out of action make you feel like a football coach: you've gotta have a good bench. This gives the game a depth missing from all other gaming, and your attachment to your crew is stressful, heartbreaking, but ultimately, it's just fun as hell.
    I bought this game being a fan of the original (well, the Playstation version based on the original) and I don't regret it. It's fun, very tough, but could've been more. Thumbs up from me.
  3. Oct 20, 2012
    For me XCOM: Enemy Unknown takes the best of the original XCOM and refines the rest into a better game in almost every way. I like to start with the negatives which are... 1. The LOS (Line of Sight) can be a bit unrealistic and lead to a frustrating death of a squad member from time to time. For example, I had two soldiers behind a huge metal shipping container, and an alien killed themFor me XCOM: Enemy Unknown takes the best of the original XCOM and refines the rest into a better game in almost every way. I like to start with the negatives which are... 1. The LOS (Line of Sight) can be a bit unrealistic and lead to a frustrating death of a squad member from time to time. For example, I had two soldiers behind a huge metal shipping container, and an alien killed them both in 2 moves from an impossible angle, shooting thru the solid container without damaging it but killing my men... plus the alien had no LOS of my soldiers... frustrating. On the up side, this happens rarely. Because of the randomly rare LOS issue I save my game at the starting of each turn. 2. A minor gripe, but it is annoying to have to use the R & L bumper to switch between team members. Allowing me to just move the cursor over a soldier and selecting them would have been nice. OK, on to the good stuff. There are basically three parts to this game, building a base, putting up satellites and shooting down UFO's, and lastly the turn based tactical assaults with your squad. All this is tied together with a financial system. You have to balance research of new tech, with building your base up, while buying fighter aircraft and launching satellites, while arming and gearing up your squad... and the order in which you do this will make or break you. It can be a difficult to choose a priority, when so many pressing issues present themselves at any given moment... but this is what makes the game great. In the tactical combat part of the game, then alien enemy are as varied as the tactics to take them down. Your squad starts out as a bunch or peons, but if they can survive 10+ missions, they will become elite warriors and the bane of the aliens. It takes time to level your soldiers and resources to arm and armor them. Because of this, you do not want to go Rambo in a mission and get them all killed. Always think a move ahead, when in doubt send up a scout (Assault troop is good at this). And remember, always use cover and Overwatch. My favorite tactic is Rope-a-dope... being, set up an ambush, send my assault solder out as bait, when he makes contact, have him retreat towards the rest of the squad, then blunt the aliens attack with Overwatch fire... then just kill the remaining aliens and watch the rest of them run for their lives. Rinse & repeat. This works in most but not all situations. Some enemies take some creative tactics to defeat. Minor gripes aside, XCOM; Enemy Unknown is an excellent and in-depth tactical game with countless hours of fun to be had. I give it a 9 out of 10 Expand
  4. Nov 2, 2012
    X-Com is just like Chess. Think a move ahead and hope that, that move you made will do you justice. If not, face the consequences. X-Com, is a seamless RTS that plays well and feels well on the Xbox 360. It may take a little to get used to, but afterwards it plays amazing. The game itself runs well, and plays well. While, the visual thematic component may fall lackluster in some eyes, theX-Com is just like Chess. Think a move ahead and hope that, that move you made will do you justice. If not, face the consequences. X-Com, is a seamless RTS that plays well and feels well on the Xbox 360. It may take a little to get used to, but afterwards it plays amazing. The game itself runs well, and plays well. While, the visual thematic component may fall lackluster in some eyes, the style of art X-Com offers is something games rarely do. Making it stand out. The art style feels like Code Lyoko, and a mix between Cartoon Networks the Star Wars : The Clone Wars series. Beside the gripe on the aspect of art. X-Com's is a fun game of "chess". It's for die hard RTS lovers, and it's welcoming to new comers who are new to RTS's. The Gameplay, story, and visuals of X-Com truly make it a wonderful experience. Expand
  5. Nov 3, 2012
    • XCOM is a turn base strategy combat game where you lead a squad of soldiers into battle against an invading alien force while between missions researching new technology and building a base all while struggling to keep your soldiers alive.
    • Balancing between the needs of your combat squad, research projects and the need to keep countries safe provides a tense balance that forces you to make real choices on how to spend your time and money and decide what is or is not an acceptable sacrifice (including the lives of your squad).
    • While good at making the game feel more action packed than other turn based strategy games, the camera does some strange things whenever it gets into a building or tries to track special character actions or line of site. Seeing your character look like they are shooting at a wall only to hit the target behind it is not uncommon.
    • While cripplingly hard, forced saving permanent death is an option, it is not forced upon you. On my cowardly save and re-load run through for example I did not loose a single character (though there were a few bleeding out by the end of the last mission).
  6. GKS
    Dec 26, 2012
    This being my first review, I am going to point out what you need to know about this game. Note that this beginning is as objective as I can be; the score is completely subjective.
    You'll enjoy this game if you want to:
    +try something other than FPS +see how a game can make you care for things that aren't real +talk about that particular time when your Sgt "Shadow" killed the
    You'll enjoy this game if you want to:
    +try something other than FPS
    +see how a game can make you care for things that aren't real
    +talk about that particular time when your Sgt "Shadow" killed the infiltrator alien with a 10% shot

You won't enjoy it if you:
    -go into it thinking that it is more of the old X-COM
    - prefer random maps that feel differently rather than go through the same maps in the same playthrough
    -find action over strategy hard to swallow

This part is totally my opinion and therefore totally something that I alone agree. Right. Now if you're an old X-COM player, you will hate this game for being simpler, more action- oriented than strategy- oriented, less diverse in terms of maps and an assortment of other things that even you have to admit just don't get made anymore by developers of tactical games. You will also hate it because you will look at the score and, provided you are a user, you will write down how stupid people like us are for liking these games. However, if you play games with an open mind, I assure you, the only bad thing you'll feel is the absurdly long amount of time you spend on this game, how much attached you get to your psionic sniper, Col "Demon" and how you genuinely feel the pain when your Col "Sheriff" gets killed by missing a 95% shot and getting bombarded with the damn disk robot, especially on the hardest setting, where you've got one save file and reloading it means having to fight the aliens all over again. But that's the point. You'll want to do that just so you save some more of your operatives. Look, chances are that, judging by the score, you may still write things like how this game is bad because it becomes difficult no matter how many UFOs show up or how they just don't find it compelling or acceptable as an X-COM game. To them I'd like to say, yes, you are right, in a sense. However, you are not doing full justice to the game or to those who read your reviews by not acknowledging the fact that this is 2012. A large portion of us haven't played X-COM and those of us who did found it hard to get into given the graphics and interface were dated. We want a game to be fun. We want it tense. We don't want it to be something that you can't enjoy if it isn't exactly like the old games. Yes, X-COM has always been innovative in terms of settings and base-building parts. So why can't this iteration innovate in terms of accessibility and a better base management and tactical blend? In the end, I would say that this game is a must buy for anyone looking for something new and must be avoided by anyone who wants more of the old X-COM.
  7. Nov 21, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one of the best games of the 2012! I suggest it to everyone. Specially for everyone who loves turn-based strategy games.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown beginning is very simple and straight-forward. Aliens are invading Earth and player, as the commander of international defence organization XCOM, needs to save Earth! You as base commander need to manage XCOm finances and resources, choose soldiers for missions, and guide them through the battles.

For everyone with tactical thinking it's easy to play with normal difficult. If you think about your moves carefully then you probably not lose any soldier at all. Specially if you have one or two medics with you. But if you are one of players from CoD, who likes to take your team to storming into a UFO crash site, then you need to prepare yourself that your soldiers will die very easily! And you need to replace them again and again. Alien AI is not dumb. So if they see you, they are probably trying to flank you. Or if you are for some weird reasons left your team together in group somewhere, then AI will happily throw some grenades there. So if you make wrong choice your soldiers will suffering. Most combats is quick and bloody!

If your mission is success and soldiers is back, they get EXP and can earn new level. New level gives new skills. Later they even acquire nicknames.

This game is made for PC, but still it's enjoyable for console owners too. Interface is good and easy. Graphics is not best, but because game is really good we can skip that part. :) Same time voice acting is very good and there is a lot nice jokes. I suggest that game to everyone! Specially for strategy game fans! I rarely give 10 points for games. Truth is that last game who got from me 10 points was Fallout II. :) So it means this game is really good! :)
  8. Dec 19, 2012
    Xcom: Enemy Unknown
    Xcom is a re-make of a game released in 1994 of the same name. I remember playing the first game back then and absolutely loving it. It had the right level of strategy to keep a player engaged for months! This is where
  9. Dec 3, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a fantastic strategy game. Barring a few minor glitches that happen every once and a blue moon the game runs great and is a blast to play. The game is able to get you into the swing of things early on and you easily get a hang of managing resources and upgrading your capabilities to blast the aliens to hell. Missions are always tense especially if you have high levelXCOM: Enemy Unknown is a fantastic strategy game. Barring a few minor glitches that happen every once and a blue moon the game runs great and is a blast to play. The game is able to get you into the swing of things early on and you easily get a hang of managing resources and upgrading your capabilities to blast the aliens to hell. Missions are always tense especially if you have high level soldiers that you have spent hours specing out and leveling and you don't want them to die. Also on a side note naming them is stupid fun (Rick James tragically died on a high profile mission for me). There are always consequences to failing or succeeding in XCOM which again makes the game tense. It is also very challenging at all turns and the death or injuries of squad members adds another layer of complexity. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is definitely worth your time and I highly recommend it especially if your a sci-fi nerd! Expand
  10. Oct 26, 2012
    No, its not as in-depth as the original. No, its not as tense. No, its not as big. Yes, it is one of the best games (in my opinion THE best) of 2012. If you approach this game as a spiritual successor or re-imagining of the original then you will be pleasantly surprise; Just don't go into it expecting the UFO/XCOM of the 90s with updated graphics. Its tense, enthralling, intelligent,No, its not as in-depth as the original. No, its not as tense. No, its not as big. Yes, it is one of the best games (in my opinion THE best) of 2012. If you approach this game as a spiritual successor or re-imagining of the original then you will be pleasantly surprise; Just don't go into it expecting the UFO/XCOM of the 90s with updated graphics. Its tense, enthralling, intelligent, in-depth and the turn-based combat will have you chewing your fingernails out with anxiety. I'm not normally a fan of strategy games but XCOM gets the mixture of action, management, and strategy just right so as to make the game approachable for simpletons like myself. GET IT. ITS EFFING FANTASTIC. Expand
  11. Dec 31, 2012
    X com is an excellent game all around. If you are even remotely interested in this game, and are looking for something instead of pretty much everything else out there... just buy this game already. The graphics are quite capable although not stellar. Your soldiers do look pretty cool while battling, as do the details of your base as you build it. Highly recommend X Com,X com is an excellent game all around. If you are even remotely interested in this game, and are looking for something instead of pretty much everything else out there... just buy this game already. The graphics are quite capable although not stellar. Your soldiers do look pretty cool while battling, as do the details of your base as you build it. Highly recommend X Com, regardless of your interest in strategy games. Its pretty interesting in the sense that one wrong move can cost you. So it can be intense even though its a turn based strategy game, which is a good thing. There is already some DLC out which is not too bad and recommended as it adds a little more story to the game. Just all around quality. Expand
  12. Oct 30, 2012
    I have vague memories of the original Xcom. I remember that it was very difficult, yet I came back again and again. With the new Xcom, I don't find it anywhere near as difficult (mind you, I'm playing on normal difficulty), but I return to it like a junkie to heroin. The graphics are average, the story is almost non-existent, and there's nothing in the sound/music to write home about. ButI have vague memories of the original Xcom. I remember that it was very difficult, yet I came back again and again. With the new Xcom, I don't find it anywhere near as difficult (mind you, I'm playing on normal difficulty), but I return to it like a junkie to heroin. The graphics are average, the story is almost non-existent, and there's nothing in the sound/music to write home about. But the game-play. That's what so many developers have forgotten about. I don't need 300 guns, 20 outfits, crazy new mechanics, lens flares, or DLC map-packs. Just give me good game-play. Each battle feels like a chess match. You'll find yourself planning out moves ahead of time, trying to guess what your opponent will do. Deciding whether to go for the kill and risk a high ranking soldier, or play it safe and fall back to cover. How many medpaks are left? Do I have any smoke-grenades? And these are important decisions. Soldiers will rank up and gain skills. But if they die on the battlefield, they're gone forever. This especially hurts if you've decided to name all your soldiers after people you know (You can customize their name, nickname, and appearance). Plus you're going to need high ranking soldiers if you plan to beat the game, which isn't guaranteed. This is something else that modern games are often missing. The ability to fail. In between battles, you'll need to do some resource management. Spend money on satellites and increase your monthly funding? Spend it on equipment research? Buy new gear for your team? Train new soldiers? All of them are necessary, but not all of them can be done at once. Real-time strategy games are few and far between on the Xbox, so if you enjoy RTS, pick this up immediately. Everyone else should give this a try first before considering buying. Expand
  13. Nov 4, 2012
    Part strategy game and part RPG, XCOM delivers on both ends to the fans of each genres. It's an engaging game that requires skill, focus, and tact. While the story and graphics won't win any awards, the game is thoroughly interesting and the longer you progress through the game, everything is hugely satisfying and rewarding. It plays smoothly for anyone to pick up but offers a challenge toPart strategy game and part RPG, XCOM delivers on both ends to the fans of each genres. It's an engaging game that requires skill, focus, and tact. While the story and graphics won't win any awards, the game is thoroughly interesting and the longer you progress through the game, everything is hugely satisfying and rewarding. It plays smoothly for anyone to pick up but offers a challenge to every type of gamer, from the casual to the hardcore. It's one of 2012's best games. Expand
  14. Nov 2, 2012
    I went ahead and got this game purely because my Dad told me how amazing the original was on the PS1. He said it was strategy at its best, it was scary at times, and it was difficult with lasting re-playability. I'm a strategy fan, not a real hardcore fan but I do like strategy. Strategy games that have disappointed me though are those on console. For some reason most of PC experience withI went ahead and got this game purely because my Dad told me how amazing the original was on the PS1. He said it was strategy at its best, it was scary at times, and it was difficult with lasting re-playability. I'm a strategy fan, not a real hardcore fan but I do like strategy. Strategy games that have disappointed me though are those on console. For some reason most of PC experience with strategy is memorable and my console experience not so much. Games like Halo Wars and Command and Conquer felt awkward on the Xbox. They were fun no doubt, but awkward. Xcom is different though. Xcom is one of the few turnbased strategy games on the console. In fact before Xcom the onlyTurn based game I played was CIV Revolution on Xbox. (I did like that a lot too although it felt dumbed down.)
    Xcom escapes this awkward feeling by being Turn Based. I can take my time, grab a snack, and think. Although I often like the thrill of rushing through missions and taking risks that I probably shouldn't. This game allows me to play at my own pace. That's why I love the turn based genre and Xcom is one of the best I've played since Fallout. It fulfills everything my Dad said it would, it is strategic, it is scary at times, and it's pretty difficult. Most of all, its rewarding. Coming out of encounters with the time unscaved is an amazing feeling.

I highly recommend this game to people who like turn based strategy.
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    Having never played the original x-com series, i was pleasantly surprised when brought it. This game is one of the best games i have ever played on the Xbox. I Recommend to anyone and everyone.
  16. Nov 16, 2012
    This game made me happy. Because it makes me happy and nostalgic, to the days of hardcore games with real consequences. It's been a long time since a game mad me want to throw my controller in frustration....... but I'm Glad you did XCOM
  17. Oct 31, 2012
    Excellent strategy game! Good graphics,good music,good and easy to learn gameplay. My score 9.5 . Hope to see a sequel in this dryness of strategy games .
  18. Jan 5, 2013
    I never though I could give a 1010 rating for a game. But XCOM is just the perfect game for me. It can be extremely tough on higher difficulty. The option to play on "Iron Man" mode makes all the difference. On this mode, you cannot reload after a bad move. Just live with it. Every game should have this. It feels the same as in Dark Souls. Learn from your mistakes or you won't get far.I never though I could give a 1010 rating for a game. But XCOM is just the perfect game for me. It can be extremely tough on higher difficulty. The option to play on "Iron Man" mode makes all the difference. On this mode, you cannot reload after a bad move. Just live with it. Every game should have this. It feels the same as in Dark Souls. Learn from your mistakes or you won't get far.

The game is complexe yet simple to understand and play. You have many types of decisions to make, from which country to protect with a satellite, what gear to build for your troops, what research to prioririze (as in Civilization) to how to fight on the field. Battles are like a multilayered chess game. You never tire of it (as long as you don't plys the game on easy or normal mode).

I highly recommend this game. It's even better than what you would think from watching a review. You just need to try it!
  19. Nov 15, 2012
    XCOM is my Game of the Year so far. The turn-based strategy and research/base-building mechanics have kept me gripped enough to beat the game on Normal, then restart on Classic Ironman for the "hardcore" experience. It just nails so many aspects of the strategy genre, while cutting back on some of the cumbersome things that would scare away newcomers. The only gripe I have about the gameXCOM is my Game of the Year so far. The turn-based strategy and research/base-building mechanics have kept me gripped enough to beat the game on Normal, then restart on Classic Ironman for the "hardcore" experience. It just nails so many aspects of the strategy genre, while cutting back on some of the cumbersome things that would scare away newcomers. The only gripe I have about the game is that sometimes, on Classic difficulty at least, it feels like the aliens get an unfair bonus to accuracy. It can be frustrating when your entire team fires a round and misses, then the alien kills you in one shot. That being said, Classic and Impossible were built to be a challenge, and I had a blast playing it on Normal. Maybe I'm just not hardcore enough... Either way, XCOM is an instant classic and a must-buy if you have even a passing interest in strategy or war games. Expand
  20. Nov 18, 2012
    I'll be honest. This is my first XCOM game. However, this is just one of a long chain of Firaxis game's that I've owned. Not to mention one of my favorites. Just like Civilization, this game is a glorified time-sink that'll draw you in as you fight aliens, manage your teams, research new weapons and equipment, and build your base. I lost count how many times I told myself, "I'll stop onceI'll be honest. This is my first XCOM game. However, this is just one of a long chain of Firaxis game's that I've owned. Not to mention one of my favorites. Just like Civilization, this game is a glorified time-sink that'll draw you in as you fight aliens, manage your teams, research new weapons and equipment, and build your base. I lost count how many times I told myself, "I'll stop once I finish this research" only to keep going after being enticed by the discovery of new research projects. The combat is heavily strategy-reliant as this game outright punishes poor decisions. You have to be careful with picking what equipment your soldiers are going to use in a mission, choosing the best cover for them to hide behind during combat, even the order in which your soldiers fire at the enemy can be a factor. Believe me, there have been moments when I held off on having my sniper (by far by best soldier) pick off some easy targets just so he could be used as a precautionary measure to fight off any extraterrestrial threats that may emerge from the shadows to flank my team. Which brings me to my next topic. Difficulty. When playing XCOM, Murphy's Law is almost always enforced as any mission, no matter how well it's going, can instantly go horribly wrong. Personally I find that it adds tension to the combat, making each successful mission feel extremely satisfying, even moreso if you're able to avoid any deaths on your team. I would recommend this game to those who're looking for a good strategy game and would welcome a challenge. Expand
  21. Nov 21, 2012
    As a big fan of the original XCom on PC back in the 80's, a nice remake/homage has been needed for a long long time.

At first I was concerned that the 2 phase tactical movement might be an issue, as well as only having the ability for 6 soldiers on the field at a time. However, now that I've been playing it for 5 days straight and unable to put it down, I am very happy to say that it has not affected my joy of the game.

I think tactical strategy games in the future need to take some of the ideas from this game from now on. Just as the first XCom was kind of a trail blazer for the best tactical strategy games that came after it, this new XCom should be the trail blazer for these styles of games in the future.

Playing the 360 version.
  22. Dec 7, 2012
    This is a good game , but you have to do more less the same thing all time , get to the local of the abduction , kill some aliens and get back to the base , the research part of the game is great , you will feel more and more powerful as the game become near to the end , in resume Its a great game , a little bit boring but I think the xbox 360 its not the recommended , just buy the xboxThis is a good game , but you have to do more less the same thing all time , get to the local of the abduction , kill some aliens and get back to the base , the research part of the game is great , you will feel more and more powerful as the game become near to the end , in resume Its a great game , a little bit boring but I think the xbox 360 its not the recommended , just buy the xbox version if you do not have a good pc , but its a great game Expand
  23. Dec 10, 2012
    Great re-imagining of an old classic. It stays true to the original as far as overall feel. I still get terrified when a cyberdisc or a chryssalid appear. They have simplified a lot of things from the old game. There's no more reason to do any math to decide if you have enough TUs to move to a position, rotate to face a good direction, kneel, and still be able to shoot during the enemiesGreat re-imagining of an old classic. It stays true to the original as far as overall feel. I still get terrified when a cyberdisc or a chryssalid appear. They have simplified a lot of things from the old game. There's no more reason to do any math to decide if you have enough TUs to move to a position, rotate to face a good direction, kneel, and still be able to shoot during the enemies turn. The simplified moving is awesome. The skills as a soldier levels up is also a great enhancement. It makes you even more attached to your veterans and makes their deaths so painful. Also, reaction shots are reliable now, instead of being a bit of a chance/rare thing from the original. Anything on over watch WILL shoot at a moving target in sight.

The base management/economy side is simplified a bit. You no longer hire scientists/engineers, but receive them as rewards for certain missions or on a monthly basis with your funding if certain requirements are met. The satellites are way better than having to build new radar bases all over the planet, just make sure you station interceptors in those countries too, or you can kiss that satellite goodbye.

The missions have a lot more variety than the original too. In the original you had UFO missions (landed or crashed), terror missions, and base missions (Assault and Defense). In this new game, you get all the original missions, along with some others. Escort, extraction, and bomb disposal are what I've come across so far. It adds more variety to the game. If you're a fan of the original, you have to check this out. It's pretty neat. Yes, it's a little different. There are a few things I miss, and other very welcome changes. Overall, it stays true to the original and is a great experience.
  24. Dec 12, 2012
    Almost as good as the original. Visually it's stunning, but the game does feel a little restrained. The smaller maps & 6 man limit on a team did make it feel a little confined. The almost lack of UFO combat was a little disappointing, but not a big loss. Overall: For a modern day remake, I don't think I could have hoped for a better game. To whoever thought of Ironman mode =You're oneAlmost as good as the original. Visually it's stunning, but the game does feel a little restrained. The smaller maps & 6 man limit on a team did make it feel a little confined. The almost lack of UFO combat was a little disappointing, but not a big loss. Overall: For a modern day remake, I don't think I could have hoped for a better game. To whoever thought of Ironman mode =You're one sadistic bastard. Thank you. Expand
  25. Dec 26, 2012
    I love strategy games, I may not be the best at them, but love em, and find XCOM: enemy unknown to be pretty awesome. Not using the tile based system works well and made me feel different from other strategy games. I wanted there would be a greater range of weapons and armour though.
  26. Dec 27, 2012
    A polished and challenging strategy game. The locations can get repetitive, every one looks the same despite being in different parts of the globe, and the weapons could've used a little more variety. While the missions become slightly repetitive they manage to be challenging. The game is highly addictive and has a great fun factor. Easily one of the best games this year.
  27. Jan 17, 2013
    Firaxis has delivered quite an excellent game that is mostly faithful to the spirit of the franchise. As a turn-based strategy game, the choices available for current consumers is often limited, notably due their lack of popularity it seems. This game unfortunately dumbs down many of the elements of previous games of the series, which some may have found tedious. The stream-lining of thisFiraxis has delivered quite an excellent game that is mostly faithful to the spirit of the franchise. As a turn-based strategy game, the choices available for current consumers is often limited, notably due their lack of popularity it seems. This game unfortunately dumbs down many of the elements of previous games of the series, which some may have found tedious. The stream-lining of this series makes the game feel more down to chance rather than active decisions made by the player. It is the tedium of the old games that often made them feel more rewarding. This game suffers from many bugs and glitches that can be quite game-breaking if you are potentially playing an ironman campaign. These bugs notably include teleporting enemies, unclear lines of sight, inability to move some soldiers, etc. These bugs do not hinder the enjoyment that can be found in this game, however, as patches are implemented many bugs will be fixed. This game is refreshing take of the old series and offers a rarity in gaming today: a challenging turn-based strategy game. Expand
  28. Sep 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. XCOM: Enemy Unknown was a GREAT game up until the ending. I love how you can pick and choose every little thing you do in the facility, and how it boosts your soldiers stats and abilities. I was disappointed with the ending because all that happened was one of your soldiers took the mother-ship off the Earth to save everyone. But that was it, there wasn't an after story or anything like that. Over all, it was a very good game. Expand
  29. Oct 31, 2012
    XCOM is a beautiful game that has taken elements of two distinct genres. First there is a fluid turn-based shooter that is seamless in its frame rate and that delivers both integrated cinematic and large degree of creativity in the strategy it allows players to explore. Then behind the scenes is an in-depth management system that provides users with the ability to tailor their experienceXCOM is a beautiful game that has taken elements of two distinct genres. First there is a fluid turn-based shooter that is seamless in its frame rate and that delivers both integrated cinematic and large degree of creativity in the strategy it allows players to explore. Then behind the scenes is an in-depth management system that provides users with the ability to tailor their experience to fit their desired strategy. There is incredible depth in this management system. You can decide to spend money and man power in building new facilities, or focus on upgrading your field units in order to best utilize the different classes available, or you can focus on trying to mitigate the outcries of nations who you are not able to help. XCOM even allows you to trade on the black market and provides an easy to understand balance sheet that tracks your revenue and expenses (Yes I Know those are Income Statement Items). On top of that level of management XCOM has added a small yet incredibly effective element in that you can personalize your squad. This adds a level of emotion rarely brought to games. Being able to tell your friends they have been promoted or killed in action is a unique conversation point that drives word-of-mouth exposure for XCOM. Overall addictive, strategic, unsympathetic, and worth your money. Expand
  30. Jan 1, 2013
    I came into this game with very few expectations after getting it as a Christmas gift and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. It had been years since I last played a turn-based game such as this one and playing XCOM reminded me how rewarding such games can be. I have a few gripes with it, but most of those are related to wanting more customisation options or yearning for aI came into this game with very few expectations after getting it as a Christmas gift and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. It had been years since I last played a turn-based game such as this one and playing XCOM reminded me how rewarding such games can be. I have a few gripes with it, but most of those are related to wanting more customisation options or yearning for a wider variety of missions (or accents!). There are also a few bugs in the game that can scupper your mission and/or lead to the death of a soldier - so save often to be on the safe side. Overall, XCOM is a very satisfying game and one that I would recommend to anyone looking for something a bit more strategic than your average shooter, but not wanting an RTS. Expand
  31. Oct 17, 2012
    First off, this is really not an X-Com game and if you go in looking at it as a new IP then you will be a lot better off. The game is heavily streamlined/dumbed-down from its origins and rather than a turn-based strategy game like the original X-Com games, you are buying a turn-based ACTION game, like a turn-based Gears of War. You are limited to 4 squad members to start, you cannot buildFirst off, this is really not an X-Com game and if you go in looking at it as a new IP then you will be a lot better off. The game is heavily streamlined/dumbed-down from its origins and rather than a turn-based strategy game like the original X-Com games, you are buying a turn-based ACTION game, like a turn-based Gears of War. You are limited to 4 squad members to start, you cannot build or manage new bases, the maps are pre-done rather than random (and can repeat through a game), and virtually all of the strategic portions of the original X-Com have been deleted. I suspect this was done to "attract the CoD/GeoW audience" but it just makes the unsuitable for any true strategy gamer and its slow pace will certainly keep away the FPS fans. Now this is not specifically a "bad" game, and if you are the type of gamer who thought "wouldn't it be cool to command a Gears of War squadron (dressed in Mass Effect armor) in a turn-based game but without all those unnecessary strategic elements, new base building, and micro-managing" then this is the game for you. X-Com EU has loses the overall strategic gameplay, and is all turn-based action with Mass Effect armor and guns. Not for me, but who knows, there might be an big undiscovered market for this game type. Collapse

1. Mar 6, 2013
    By virtue of how it stokes more parts of my brain than any game of the past decade, I’m inclined to consider XCOM: Enemy Unknown one of the most important titles of this generation. This game will test your disaster-management skills, levy you with suffocatingly difficult choices on how to spend your resources and cause you to grow so fond of your chess pieces that each skirmish takes on the flavour of a Whedonesque drama.
    It's like The Sims, but with much shorter life expectancies. [Issue#91, p.66]
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    It's [a] tough and punishing game, but in the best way possible. Every loss compels you onward in the war and the story. Where most games are frustratingly punishing, XCOM delivers a masterclass in challenge and escalation.