8.4

1. Oct 19, 2012
    I played the original X-Com and its sequel Terror From the Deep back in the 90's when they came out and they remain a couple of my favorite games of all time. As recently as a year ago I broke them out again for another go at it, as I have done periodically over the years. This new take on the franchise is long awaited and welcome. There are a few things from the old games I miss, but to nick pick would be a bit prissy considering all the cool aspects of Enemy Unknown. The old ones from the 90's had a bit more options and depth, but considering the constant bombardment of media these days, I don't mind the streamlining and watering down of some of the micromanagement. Back then I didn't mind sinking 3-4 hours on one mission because there was no internet and not as much to do. These days the toughest and lengthiest missions in Enemy Unknown topping out around an hour or so are just fine by me, and even though I dont consider graphics near as important as gameplay and fun, the nice skittering aliens and blodd bursts and explosions are pretty cool considering how dated the 90's stuff is now. All in all, If you are a true turn based strategy fan, this one will be your new crack just as Masters of Magic, Master of Orion, original X-Com and a handful of the other greats have done so well in the past. For those new to the genre, welcome to a nice change of pace to the tired run & shoot someone & get shot & rince & repeat that everyone else is doing these days. Cheers to the best turn based console game of all time. Finally good strategy on my couch, thanks Firaxis! :) Expand
  2. Nov 21, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one of the best games of the 2012! I suggest it to everyone. Specially for everyone who loves turn-based strategy games.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown beginning is very simple and straight-forward. Aliens are invading Earth and player, as the commander of international defence organization XCOM, needs to save Earth! You as base commander need to manage XCOm finances and
    resources, choose soldiers for missions, and guide them through the battles.

For everyone with tactical thinking it's easy to play with normal difficult. If you think about your moves carefully then you probably not lose any soldier at all. Specially if you have one or two medics with you. But if you are one of players from CoD, who likes to take your team to storming into a UFO crash site, then you need to prepare yourself that your soldiers will die very easily! And you need to replace them again and again. Alien AI is not dumb. So if they see you, they are probably trying to flank you. Or if you are for some weird reasons left your team together in group somewhere, then AI will happily throw some grenades there. So if you make wrong choice your soldiers will suffering. Most combats is quick and bloody!

If your mission is success and soldiers is back, they get EXP and can earn new level. New level gives new skills. Later they even acquire nicknames.

This game is made for PC, but still it's enjoyable for console owners too. Interface is good and easy. Graphics is not best, but because game is really good we can skip that part. :) Same time voice acting is very good and there is a lot nice jokes. I suggest that game to everyone! Specially for strategy game fans! I rarely give 10 points for games. Truth is that last game who got from me 10 points was Fallout II. :) So it means this game is really good! :)
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    I bought this game on a whim 3 hours before launch from steam (which included Civ 5 as a pre-order bonus!) since release I simply haven't stopped playing it! Games like Dishonored (released the same day) sit neglected on my desk. This game has grabbed my attention and I don't think it'll let go for a long while!
  4. Oct 26, 2012
    No, its not as in-depth as the original. No, its not as tense. No, its not as big. Yes, it is one of the best games (in my opinion THE best) of 2012. If you approach this game as a spiritual successor or re-imagining of the original then you will be pleasantly surprise; Just don't go into it expecting the UFO/XCOM of the 90s with updated graphics. Its tense, enthralling, intelligent, in-depth and the turn-based combat will have you chewing your fingernails out with anxiety. I'm not normally a fan of strategy games but XCOM gets the mixture of action, management, and strategy just right so as to make the game approachable for simpletons like myself. GET IT. ITS EFFING FANTASTIC. Expand
  5. Jan 12, 2013
    This game takes turn based tactics and perfects them. As a fan of Fire Emblem, I can honestly say this game ranks on par with them, or even surpasses them. If you're a fan of tactics, you don't have a lot of recent of options with recent games, but this is a sure buy.
  6. Oct 12, 2012
    One of the best strategy games I have played in the last few years. It's fun, addicting, and your choices have real consequences. Soldier deaths are permanent and wow is the game hard when you ratchet up the difficulty. Fireaxis made a brilliant game and I can't wait for further installments.
  7. Oct 12, 2012
    X-Com is back! After the dissapointment of hearing it will be rebooted as an FPS they made the right call and had Fireaxis the creators of Civilization make a strategy game. It's as fun and addicting as the original was. The graphics are very nice it runs great and the story is very interesting. The multiplayer is really fun as well just needs some more maps.
  8. Jan 4, 2013
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a fantastic twist off of the old UFO defense. Almost every change made for the new game was for the better: graphics, less units to control, more customization etc... but yes, nobody is perfect and there are some flaws. Maps repeat once you play the game all the way through and you can no longer create multiple bases which lowers the replay value. But none of this has effected me as I absolutely love this game and can look past a few minor blemishes as I am sure is necessary to accept anything in life as 10/10. Except maybe Mila Kunis Expand
  9. Oct 12, 2012
    PLEASE IGNORE ALL THE IDIOTS GIVING IT ZERO! THIS IS A GOOD GAME! Seriously though, if you want to give it zero, go and crawl under a rock and die. Because you obviously have no idea how bad games can be. Just because it may not be what you thought it should does not mean you should give it a 0. And if im brutally honest, the fact that you cant customize their hair cuts, or you have to endure endless micromanaging, doesnt really bother me. Im happy with the game. It is good, it is great, and all you weirdo's who vote 0 can go join a club and call it "club anonymous". Expand
  10. Oct 23, 2012
    YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes Sweetness on a disc.
  11. Nov 2, 2012
    I went ahead and got this game purely because my Dad told me how amazing the original was on the PS1. He said it was strategy at its best, it was scary at times, and it was difficult with lasting re-playability. I'm a strategy fan, not a real hardcore fan but I do like strategy. Strategy games that have disappointed me though are those on console. For some reason most of PC experience with strategy is memorable and my console experience not so much. Games like Halo Wars and Command and Conquer felt awkward on the Xbox. They were fun no doubt, but awkward. Xcom is different though. Xcom is one of the few turnbased strategy games on the console. In fact before Xcom the onlyTurn based game I played was CIV Revolution on Xbox. (I did like that a lot too although it felt dumbed down.)
    Xcom escapes this awkward feeling by being Turn Based. I can take my time, grab a snack, and think. Although I often like the thrill of rushing through missions and taking risks that I probably shouldn't. This game allows me to play at my own pace. That's why I love the turn based genre and Xcom is one of the best I've played since Fallout. It fulfills everything my Dad said it would, it is strategic, it is scary at times, and it's pretty difficult. Most of all, its rewarding. Coming out of encounters with the time unscaved is an amazing feeling.

I highly recommend this game to people who like turn based strategy.
  12. Oct 12, 2012
    One of the best squad base strategy games I have ever played. Difficult but fair and immensely engaging. If you are a "gamer" than you owe it to yourself to play this little masterpiece.
  13. Oct 10, 2012
    Firaxis has definitely delivered with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, as it's as polished as you could ever want it to be across all three platforms.

New players to the game will soon find themselves becoming indulged in the decision making process of the game. Should I invest in better armor? Should I help China or USA? Each decision comes with it's own rewards, which greatly benefit your fight
    against the alien menace.

The control scheme on all systems is excellent, even though the original XCOM was a PC game, they fit on both consoles too.

The story of XCOM is long and rewarding, and the loss of teammates only spurs you on to fight harder.

Overall, a superb game, I have yet to find anything bad about it.
  14. Oct 9, 2012
    Having spent a day playing it all doubts are gone that it might not match the classic x-com feel. This game is great and the extra care they put in to make it great on PC as well shows. More than enough depth for a re-introduction of the series to get people hooked, good difficulty level options, ability to fail, plenty of "oh no" and "damnit!" moments, cleans graphics work well.

My
    only criticisms so far (haven't beaten it yet) are they could make base navigation a bit easier and faster, same for managing troop equipment. Expand
  15. Oct 10, 2012
    I have been waiting for this game to be made for a very long time. I am a huge fan of the original and consider it to be my #1 game of all time. Xcom is not 100% perfect, but Metacritic doesn't allow for 9.5 so I rounded up. =)

First....the bad bits: minor technical issues like cameras giving you a fantastic view of the action from behind a wall. It happens a bit more frequently
    than I would like, but it doesn't get in the way of gameplay so this is a very minor annoyance.

A bit over simplified from the original. You no longer have the ability to over load your soldiers with every piece of gear you want. You have a main weapon, a back up (pistol), and one addition utility item. This could be a grenade, med kit, stunner, or some added armor. But you only get one. This feels very frustrating to a hard core fan of the original. Setting this aside, and as much as I wish it was the old way, I think it was the right choice. It makes the game much more accessible to less experienced players and heavily reduces the complexities this game already has an over abundance of.

There is one last issue and this again is a fairly minor one. The sounds and music of the original game were so memorable and iconic they stuck with me these last twenty years....so far the audio of this game is not grabbing me. This doesn't affect gameplay so its a very minor issue, but still worth mentioning.

The good: Everything else. The smooth and intuitive controls. The streamlined actions where units will crouch and take cover automatically when next to cover. The tension you feel when you see a Crysilisk skulking a little to close to your soldiers. I love the new base and how they cleaned up the mess of managing all of your equipment.

Even with all they have streamlined, there is a ton of strategy and choice. I could see playing this game for a long time. It makes me so happy to have a modernized version of my favorite game of all time.

Thank you Firaxis!
  16. Oct 16, 2012
    This game is phenomenal. It is unlike I have every played on my consoles before. I was getting tired of the same style of shooters, and this makes you play in a completely unique way. Even though I haven't played this style of game before, I don't see how I can go back. The gameplay is very deep and gives you insane options. I loved going back to base and making new weapons to then later use on the battlefield. The visuals are solid, and the music is magnificent. I already beat it once, and can't wait to start a new game, which I haven't said for many games before! Expand
  17. Oct 12, 2012
    Sfc1971 has alternate motives for giving this game a 1. His reasons have nothing to do with the game itself and metacritic should protect its site from people who do reviews like that. I put a 10 to offset his 1 but I feel its an 8.5. If you want a challenge a game where you have to earn the ending and have fun doing it this is your game. This is not a shooter. Its a gamers version of risk but more detailed. Issues with the graphics and aiming like thinking u have an open shot at an opponent when u don't hurt the game but not badly enough to kill experience. Could also use more stuff in multiplayer Expand
  18. Oct 12, 2012
    I loved the original back in the mid 90's. I was completely addicted to that game and to see it remade I am so so happy. Its a great game to boot Fireaxis makes such excellent strategy titles. There was no better candidate to remake XCom.
  19. Nov 16, 2012
    This game made me happy. Because it makes me happy and nostalgic, to the days of hardcore games with real consequences. It's been a long time since a game mad me want to throw my controller in frustration....... but I'm Glad you did XCOM
  20. Oct 31, 2012
    Excellent strategy game! Good graphics,good music,good and easy to learn gameplay. My score 9.5 . Hope to see a sequel in this dryness of strategy games .
  21. Nov 13, 2012
    XCOM high fives the genitals of your favorite wishes. Some may find internal bleeding, yet others a blood pinata. Aliens with boom boom huck jams make your friends cry. You will climb towards the stars on the bodies that fall before you.
  22. Jan 5, 2013
    I never though I could give a 1010 rating for a game. But XCOM is just the perfect game for me. It can be extremely tough on higher difficulty. The option to play on "Iron Man" mode makes all the difference. On this mode, you cannot reload after a bad move. Just live with it. Every game should have this. It feels the same as in Dark Souls. Learn from your mistakes or you won't get far.

The game is complexe yet simple to understand and play. You have many types of decisions to make, from which country to protect with a satellite, what gear to build for your troops, what research to prioririze (as in Civilization) to how to fight on the field. Battles are like a multilayered chess game. You never tire of it (as long as you don't plys the game on easy or normal mode).

I highly recommend this game. It's even better than what you would think from watching a review. You just need to try it!
  23. Feb 16, 2013
    Like PuzzleQuest, there is a little bit of a learning curve. But wow! Even though there are some things they didn't include versus the older XCOM version, the strategy and new ideas will keep you well occupied. I was addicted to this game for 10 days straight and I'm still not finished. There are some similar looking maps but they vary enough to come up with a different strategy each go around. You do need to play the game a couple of times. The first time after I got half-way through, I didn't realize how important it was to invest in satellites and hence lost the game after all the other countries dropped out. There's a multi-part game strategy here, one which is the overall strategy on how you build your base, the other is each of the games battle strategies where you select your team, move your soldiers, and find a way to kill the bad guys. It gets deep! I didn't read the strategy guide on how to prioritize satellite building and only made it half-way through my first game. I'm planning on starting over again because there were a few other things I would've liked to done better. There is a lot to this game and for me and the amount of time I've been entertained by it justifies the hefty $60 price tag. Even though I wish it were less i still feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Expand
  24. Apr 3, 2013
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a great game. For some players it will not be enjoyable due to the sheer difficulty of the game, But that is what makes XCOM so good. IT challenges you to make a decision that could be your downfall later in the game. Move this soldier here to flank the enemy or give the new armor to this soldier. The limited budget at the end of every month gives you some tough choices to make. The amount of player choice in the game is amazing, It beats many choice driven games in XCOM's ow special way. There are no alternate endings, There are two ways to finish the game. Fight and stop the alien invasion to save Humanity, Or have Humanity be enslaved and lose the game. It is the decisions that you make that decides if XCOM wins or loses. Expand
  25. Jul 30, 2013
    I remember playing the REAL X-COM instead of that crap fps version and i loved the strategy. it was good. Then the new X-COM was released at E-3 and i was just hoping that they would go back to the original and BAM! Instant masterpiece.
  26. Aug 23, 2013
    I felt obligated to sing up to this website just to tell every strategy games lovers: Buy this stuff.
    Most awesome strategy game i'v play'd in my hole life!
    Challenging, fun to play, freaking awesome learning curve!
    I bet that after 5 hours playing this stuff you'll feel like a Military Anti-Alien Badass commander!
  27. Sep 17, 2013
    Too dumbed down for a PC title, but ok for the noobs who play games on consoles. If look like a post-pubescent weed-smoker and can't tell the difference between a PC and a fridge this console-oriented remake is for you.
  28. Oct 20, 2012
    For me XCOM: Enemy Unknown takes the best of the original XCOM and refines the rest into a better game in almost every way. I like to start with the negatives which are... 1. The LOS (Line of Sight) can be a bit unrealistic and lead to a frustrating death of a squad member from time to time. For example, I had two soldiers behind a huge metal shipping container, and an alien killed them both in 2 moves from an impossible angle, shooting thru the solid container without damaging it but killing my men... plus the alien had no LOS of my soldiers... frustrating. On the up side, this happens rarely. Because of the randomly rare LOS issue I save my game at the starting of each turn. 2. A minor gripe, but it is annoying to have to use the R & L bumper to switch between team members. Allowing me to just move the cursor over a soldier and selecting them would have been nice. OK, on to the good stuff. There are basically three parts to this game, building a base, putting up satellites and shooting down UFO's, and lastly the turn based tactical assaults with your squad. All this is tied together with a financial system. You have to balance research of new tech, with building your base up, while buying fighter aircraft and launching satellites, while arming and gearing up your squad... and the order in which you do this will make or break you. It can be a difficult to choose a priority, when so many pressing issues present themselves at any given moment... but this is what makes the game great. In the tactical combat part of the game, then alien enemy are as varied as the tactics to take them down. Your squad starts out as a bunch or peons, but if they can survive 10+ missions, they will become elite warriors and the bane of the aliens. It takes time to level your soldiers and resources to arm and armor them. Because of this, you do not want to go Rambo in a mission and get them all killed. Always think a move ahead, when in doubt send up a scout (Assault troop is good at this). And remember, always use cover and Overwatch. My favorite tactic is Rope-a-dope... being, set up an ambush, send my assault solder out as bait, when he makes contact, have him retreat towards the rest of the squad, then blunt the aliens attack with Overwatch fire... then just kill the remaining aliens and watch the rest of them run for their lives. Rinse & repeat. This works in most but not all situations. Some enemies take some creative tactics to defeat. Minor gripes aside, XCOM; Enemy Unknown is an excellent and in-depth tactical game with countless hours of fun to be had. I give it a 9 out of 10 Expand
  29. Oct 21, 2012
    Plenty of people thought XCOM: Enemy Unknown would be a dumbed down version of the original game. Well, turns out they made it even deeper than the original, especially in the tactical section. Soldiers now have perks, can take cover and flank the opposition, opening up a wide range of tactical options to outsmart your opponent!

This game is addictive as Hell and should be outlawed just
    like narcotics! It's a 9/10 from here, but misses out on perfection by not having randomly generated map layouts. Fortunately the game has a big map pool to draw from. Expand
  30. Dec 19, 2012
    Xcom: Enemy Unknown
    Xcom is a re-make of a game released in 1994 of the same name. I remember playing the first game back then and absolutely loving it. It had the right level of strategy to keep a player engaged for months! This is where

1. Mar 6, 2013
    By virtue of how it stokes more parts of my brain than any game of the past decade, I’m inclined to consider XCOM: Enemy Unknown one of the most important titles of this generation. This game will test your disaster-management skills, levy you with suffocatingly difficult choices on how to spend your resources and cause you to grow so fond of your chess pieces that each skirmish takes on the flavour of a Whedonesque drama.
    It's like The Sims, but with much shorter life expectancies. [Issue#91, p.66]
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    It's [a] tough and punishing game, but in the best way possible. Every loss compels you onward in the war and the story. Where most games are frustratingly punishing, XCOM delivers a masterclass in challenge and escalation.