7.5

1. Nov 14, 2013
    Don't get me wrong. Enemy Unknown is a great game, one of my all-time favorites. At first, I was somewhat skeptical about this expansion. But Enemy Within's expanded content is an improvement in every way, and is well worth the price, even if you own the original. Yes, it is the same campaign, but the combat dynamic has changed with the introduction of Meld, and all of the benefits itDon't get me wrong. Enemy Unknown is a great game, one of my all-time favorites. At first, I was somewhat skeptical about this expansion. But Enemy Within's expanded content is an improvement in every way, and is well worth the price, even if you own the original. Yes, it is the same campaign, but the combat dynamic has changed with the introduction of Meld, and all of the benefits it provides. The additional battlefields are a welcome change and the inclusion of the last game's DLC really make customizing your troops a lot of fun. Obviously, if you didn't care for Enemy Unknown, this game, probably isn't going to change that. But if you liked it as much as I did, then you'll love Enemy Within. Expand
  2. Aug 27, 2014
    Yes, I played the original, yes, I bang on about it. I can't see how a better job of 'updating' the game could have been done. The same sense of panic, chaos, command incompetence, lives needlessly thrown away...The only development in gaming since the 90's has been in atmospherics and cinematics, but just look at the wool on Central Officer Bradford's jumper! Look at those birdsYes, I played the original, yes, I bang on about it. I can't see how a better job of 'updating' the game could have been done. The same sense of panic, chaos, command incompetence, lives needlessly thrown away...The only development in gaming since the 90's has been in atmospherics and cinematics, but just look at the wool on Central Officer Bradford's jumper! Look at those birds flocking, and the washing going round as you stalk a sectoid! It was always a game that could make you weep actual tears of rage as well. I'm genuinely pleased that another generation (in gaming terms) can experience these thrills. Expand
  3. Jan 15, 2014
    This is an amazing upgrade on Enemy Unkown; Game play has not changed, but your additional buildings and unit options elevate the game to a even more diverse experience. The new maps and missions are more challenging and diverse than the already great originals. The story line has changed not in terms of outcome, but what happens in between. Combined with the customizable game options, theThis is an amazing upgrade on Enemy Unkown; Game play has not changed, but your additional buildings and unit options elevate the game to a even more diverse experience. The new maps and missions are more challenging and diverse than the already great originals. The story line has changed not in terms of outcome, but what happens in between. Combined with the customizable game options, the experience feels intense and never unfair. Expand
  4. Jan 29, 2014
    Enemy Within takes a great game and makes it even better by adding new challenges and variety, including some very memorable scripted missions. My kids and I loved the first one and played hours and hours. Buying Enemy Within started the XCOM craze all over again at our house.
  5. Dec 2, 2013
    XCOM Enemy Unknown was my favorite game of 2012 right after Borderlands 2. This isn't a full sequel to Unknown, rather it is an expansion. But half the times it feels like an expansion, the other half a sequel.

Whats new: Their is a new enemy faction of humans called the EXALT and they are stronger than the normal alien and a bit smarter, such as actually attempting to sneak up right behind you in the middle of a firefight.
    There is a new material called Meld that can change how you play the game. You can mod your squad into mechs or into having traits similar to the aliens.

Even if you bought Unknown, you should definitely give this game a try.
  6. Aug 6, 2014
    -MY REVIEW IS TO HELP THE UNDECIDED DECIDE..........
    WOW--AWESOME,,MUCH MORE EXCITING THEN Enemy. Unknown..
    -my review will be simple and str8 forward to help someone decide. Not a fanboy or leveraged in either way. --Difficulty/challenge- awesome-can jack it up to hardest after ya get strategy down. It gets hard! --allows to rename EVERY soldier and customize every part of them.
    -MY REVIEW IS TO HELP THE UNDECIDED DECIDE..........
    WOW--AWESOME,,MUCH MORE EXCITING THEN Enemy. Unknown..

--allows to rename EVERY soldier and customize every part of them.
    The only thing controlled is the "NICK NAMES" which is exciting IMO..
    -PERMA DEATH mode is awesome. There's no saving and reloading and if you're favorite sniper named after you're BFF,Dad or pet dies, then he's dead! All his upgrades are lost and you have ta start from scratch with a rookie and recreate, or just accept that he's gone permanently.. PERMADEATH MODE adds a dimension in gaming that I've never really experienced b4 and is why I gave this game a 10 instead of a 9..
    ------story---pretty cool for a strategy game....
    ---graphics- looks pretty. Not gonna blow you away, but enjoyable to look at. Neutral/average..
    --controls--BRILLIANT--the battlefield is tiled so ya can move 10-20 spots a turn. The spots on appear during movement.. And the controls are clever and awesome.
    --camera-- really makes the game.. The right stick moves the camera in 360* and it saves enhances you're perception of decisions..

---100% solo play campaign mode that has 100% replay ability because EVERYTHING is random.
    --this game is a must have for me and has opened the door up for me to enjoy strategy games again. And they don't have to be full blown RTS like Command & Conquor,,or. Halo Wars or advanced full military RTS like that.. XCOM stays simple and leaves the advanced part to strategy in story..
  7. Dec 11, 2013
    XCom Enemy Within is a great expansion for Enemy Unknown. It provides tens of new maps to battle the alien threat, many new weapons and grenades, Mech suits and Genetic enhancements along with other cool new features that every fan should enjoy. You must play the game and get into it to discover the new features. IT you have a short attention span then don't bother playing this game. ThisXCom Enemy Within is a great expansion for Enemy Unknown. It provides tens of new maps to battle the alien threat, many new weapons and grenades, Mech suits and Genetic enhancements along with other cool new features that every fan should enjoy. You must play the game and get into it to discover the new features. IT you have a short attention span then don't bother playing this game. This expansion improves enough to make me want to start a new campaign and eliminate the alien threat. AWESOME! Collapse
  8. Jan 3, 2014
    Definitely a worthwhile play if you liked Enemy Unknown. Took a lot of the ideas I would have liked in the game and added them. Still a few things I'd wish for, such as a standard melee attack, but what game doesn't leave you wishing it had just a little more?
  9. Jan 30, 2014
    Had this been the ORIGINAL release to XCOM, this literally would have been a nearly flawless reboot the the XCOM saga.

HOWEVER - Because this xpac really changes absolutely nothing... but adds a few details and a couple classes.. this should have been a simple DLC pack to the original game, *not* it's own seperate game. (Steam REALLY sticks it to you by making you buy *both* the original game AND this one in order to play it.. proving it's just a DLC pack gone wild.)

Still, everything that was great about the original is still great here! Plus, you get even MORE great stuff!

It's a must buy, and a must play. But only if you havent played the original.. if you have, wait for a steam sale/price drop before buying this.
  10. Dec 11, 2013

1. Apr 22, 2014
    Many of the great franchises of the 90s have burned out or faded away. But now, XCOM is back in a way that plays like a love letter to the original. It may not be stellar, but it has everything to make it feel right with the old fans while at the same time welcoming the newbies with tentacular appendages. That is a rare and wonderful thing.
  2. Jan 2, 2014
    The follow-up to one of last year's best games is an enchanted version of the same masterpiece. Battles are more expansive and go way deeper than before. The higher difficulty levels alongside the Iron Man Mode gives the gameplay an incredible nerve and challenge. Xcom Enemy Within might as well also be one of this years best games.
  3. Dec 25, 2013
    Plenty of new features make this the perfect excuse to jump back into XCOM. [Jan 2014, p.85]