7.3

1. Jan 7, 2014
    I own all of the X1 launch titles worth owning and can safely say this is the best of them all. Runs perfectly, looks great and offers so much to do. Haven't spent this much time exploring and doing side quests since Fallout: NV. Gotta say after a terrible and hateful experience with AC3, I am truly impressed and happy that I bought Black Flag, and that I waited for the next-gen version.I own all of the X1 launch titles worth owning and can safely say this is the best of them all. Runs perfectly, looks great and offers so much to do. Haven't spent this much time exploring and doing side quests since Fallout: NV. Gotta say after a terrible and hateful experience with AC3, I am truly impressed and happy that I bought Black Flag, and that I waited for the next-gen version. Easily a 10/10 experience.
    If I were to nitpick, I didn't enjoy being pulled out of the game for the Animus sequences (even though they themselves were good) or the dated character models, but they very, VERY barely affected my enjoyment of a game I spent a good 70+ hours on.
  2. Jan 20, 2014
    Amazing open world game. Amazzing graphics, fun gameplay, and being a pirate a lot like jack sparrow is fun. Exploration, battles, ships, beautiful carribean waters, amazing sunsets and whales jumping. Onlines fun too, sneaking around multiplayer. Only missing online ship battles, bow that would be incredible.
  3. May 26, 2014
    I have played all of the games in the series, and I have enjoyed every single one of them.

This is graphically such a beautiful and magnificent game. It might not be as good as the others in terms of story and other things, but exploring the tropical islands on on your ship never gets boring. I was disappointed that Edward only puts his hood up when he enters a restricted area. Also, the missions are repetitive, countless times will you be tailing somebody, and all of the movements such as combat and free running are recycled

It was a good pirate game, but Edward doesn't feel like an assassin nor does he even become one properly. Apart from holding two swords and four guns, there is not really anything new besides the map.
  4. Mar 21, 2014
    Fantastic game, have loved it from beginning to end. The combat both melee and ship is excellent, typical AC leaping, running and jumping.

Probably only a couple of criticism's which I will state up front don't detract from the overall game for me, the characters could be a little more fleshed out, maybe more involved throughout the game instead of just the occasional cut scene and your home town with all the upgrades just seemed to be a money pit instead of giving something back, didn't really add anything to the game, yes the templar armour set was there but nothing really necessary.

Ran great on the xbone so no complaints there, and the companion app worked well, i liked being able to manage my fleet with that while still playing missions.
  5. Jan 13, 2014
    It's been a while since I've played a game that kept bringing back like this one does. Such a great game, and beautiful to look at. Sometime I find myself starring. This is up there with some of my all-time favorite.
  6. Mar 7, 2014
    I enjoyed AC1 because of the great middle-eastern setting and fresh ideas. I tried to enjoy AC2, but found Ezio to be an unlikeable turd. Along came AC3 and away went another $60 I will never get back. Garbage, a real crap-fest. So, like a sucker for punishment I picked up AC4 for my xbox one. And I was pleasantly surprised. AC4 is a fantastic game. For me it has been the best in theI enjoyed AC1 because of the great middle-eastern setting and fresh ideas. I tried to enjoy AC2, but found Ezio to be an unlikeable turd. Along came AC3 and away went another $60 I will never get back. Garbage, a real crap-fest. So, like a sucker for punishment I picked up AC4 for my xbox one. And I was pleasantly surprised. AC4 is a fantastic game. For me it has been the best in the series, by far, and an improvement in nearly every way. Don't hesitate to pick this one up. Expand
  7. Mar 31, 2014
    The first mission is cool, then you get stuck in Havana for a bit doing old style assassin's creed tasks. Don't let this stop you from playing the rest of the game. I almost pushed this one aside thinking it was a dud, but once you leave Havana and get the real pirate adventures going this game is nearly perfect in how fun it is and how much content there is to the game.
  8. Mar 8, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is an outstanding game. So much to do, and a sense that everything needs to be completed kept me engrossed in the experience for many days. Multiplayer feels like it may need an update, but overall, this an awesome game.
  9. Jan 2, 2014
    Assassins Creed is a series that I have never really been fully committed to. I played the very first Assassins Creed game and liked it but did not play any other titles in the series until picking up Black Flag for the XBOX One.

On loading up the game I jumped straight in to the single player campaign mode and was thrown right in to the action. The first thing I noticed is the visuals are beautiful with very long draw distances and lots of detail (however you do get the feeling the XBOX One is capable of more, as we will see with future releases). The campaign mode is engrossing and there is just so much to do, I have put a good amount of hours in to the game and I am still completing side missions and generally exploring the game world. There is a lot of depth in Assassins Creed Black Flag and you never feel stuck for something to do.

The multiplayer mode was intriguing as I was not sure how it was going to work, it turns out there are traditional game modes such as capture the flag, holding territories etc, but is all has to be done using the art of stealth. The multiplayer is very deep with lots of upgrades to unlock and challenges to complete. The only real issue is there seems to be a lack of players currently.

I would definitely recommend Assassins Creed: Black Flag.
  10. Jan 4, 2014
    I tried to give this game a 9 but couldn't justify it. AC3 was a disappointment, after loving Brotherhood and Revelations never played the first 2 games). This game is simply engrossing. All the awesome open world from prior games with the overbearing RPG elements of AC3 taken back out. Still some great cinematics, though the story sometimes breaks down a bit as they try to incorporate anI tried to give this game a 9 but couldn't justify it. AC3 was a disappointment, after loving Brotherhood and Revelations never played the first 2 games). This game is simply engrossing. All the awesome open world from prior games with the overbearing RPG elements of AC3 taken back out. Still some great cinematics, though the story sometimes breaks down a bit as they try to incorporate an AC angle on real historical events.

Naval battles are awesome and taking the AC branding off the game and making Black Flag its own brand would have made for an amazing game...and truthfully that's the mindset I have when playing it. Some of the assassin skills and weapons from previous games add a nice depth to the fighting.

The companion app on my tablet really enhances the game experience as well, with the Fleet minigame being accessible from the app along with REAL TIME tracking your character on the map.

This game is an all-engrossing experience that I can't put down...and thanks to a great companion app, I never really have to.
  11. Jan 21, 2014
    There was some major weaknesses here.

But having said that, this is simply one of the funnest games I've yet played. Blasting my enemies Man 'O' War into a floating trash heap is pretty satisfying. I've completely lost interest in the story which is quite frankly rubbish, but exploration and side quests more than make up for that. The game looks fantastic. When you climb to the
    There was some major weaknesses here.

The game looks fantastic. When you climb to the top of your foremast anywhere you happen to be on the map you will find a living, breathing world around you that makes you feel like you're a small part of it which I think adds to it, characters are more down to earth and not Time Jesus.

Kenways Fleet is also a nice addictive edition to the franchise, even If I'm not playing the full game that day, I'll quickly log on to send my fleet on trading missions to keep those Reales flowing.

All in all a superb game.
  12. Mar 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. black flag is MAGNIFICENT! i cant think of a single flaw in this game. the graphics are AMAZING! the gameplay is FUN AND INTENSE! the missions are EXCITING! i cant think of a single time at ALLLL in ANY assassins creed game in which im bored. (!!!SPOILERALERT!!!) probably my favorite moment in ANY game AT ALL is when Edward is haythams father and connor is haythams son! i LOVE the ship customization, as it reminds me of pirates of the carribean! (i love the movie, also!) Expand
  13. Mar 21, 2014
    I've purchased 5 games for xbox one so far (Battlefield, Forza, Dead Rising, and NBA 2K14) and this is clearly the best of the bunch, but the controls are a bit awkward and some parts are too difficult.
  14. Apr 7, 2014
    It's not perfect, but i love this game. There are so many ways to play it. You can stick to the story and finish quickly or go off and do an number of other side activities depending on your mood. The naval combat is fantastic, I never get bored of it and feeding it into the iOS app means you can take it on the road when you are travelling.

If i have any negatives it is that there

If i have any negatives it is that there could be more assassination contracts and there could be more involving and complicated. With most you can sneak up and bang a berserk dart into the target and job done. More hitman style missions would be better. The AI is not that great all the time - in my view once a guard has seen you he shouldn't forget that you existed within a few minutes. But these are details.
  15. May 8, 2014
    After the last Assassin's Creed game I properly played was Brotherhood and Only playing a small bit of number 3 because of how much it bored me, I was mainly buying this for the multiplayer after loving it on brotherhood, but after playing the singleplayer and being drawn in by it, I am in love with the game. The sailing which I thought I'd hate is surprisingly fun and the side quests areAfter the last Assassin's Creed game I properly played was Brotherhood and Only playing a small bit of number 3 because of how much it bored me, I was mainly buying this for the multiplayer after loving it on brotherhood, but after playing the singleplayer and being drawn in by it, I am in love with the game. The sailing which I thought I'd hate is surprisingly fun and the side quests are so much fun, I haven't played a good open world game on the Xbox one before this and I has took many hours from me, great game. Expand
  16. Nov 26, 2013
    I was skeptical about the game before purchasing it,since I'm not really into pirates. After getting the game, its nearly all I've played on my Xbox One. The graphics are great and make it very enjoyable, but above all I was shocked by how smooth it played and all of the options that it gives you. You can transition from being the captain driving the ship to hopping into the ocean andI was skeptical about the game before purchasing it,since I'm not really into pirates. After getting the game, its nearly all I've played on my Xbox One. The graphics are great and make it very enjoyable, but above all I was shocked by how smooth it played and all of the options that it gives you. You can transition from being the captain driving the ship to hopping into the ocean and swimming to an island instantly, no wait time, its great. I also enjoy how large the map is. The map is a scaled down version of the Caribbean and seems at this point it will take a long long time to beat the game and all the quests. Great game, even if you don't like pirate games, you will have fun playing this. Its cool because you attack and shoot other ships and forts, once you lower their health you jump on the ship and fight hand to hand to win their ship and take their supplies. Its a great balance between being on the ship and on land, that is for sure.
    Bad things: I wish there was more customization, you can only get 5-10 swords/pistols each. I feel like they could have really made it fun if they allowed you to customize your stuff in more detail with more options
  17. Dec 3, 2013
    After an extremely disappointing and dull affair that was Assassins Creed 3, I promised myself that I would never again waste my hard earned cash on an Assassins Creed game. So when the announced AC 4, I said here we go again and no thank you. But since its release I have been keeping an eye on gameplay trailers and reviews which started to change my mind.

So I eventually took the

So I eventually took the plunge and purchased the game, and boy was I surprised.
    It is just superb, ok it’s not perfect and no game is I suppose. It still lacks the ability to crouch, this for some reason has never been part of the series and they should include it in the next game. And there are the usual tedious follow and listen missions, but aside from all that.

The environments are amazing; from the lush jungles to the tiny fishing villages are all bright and colourful. Then they are the Naval battles and Sailing, which are the highlight of the game, it is a superb experience and one that will remain with you for hours after each time you play it. I can’t get enough of sailing the high seas and listening to the sound of the waves crashing against the hull and discovering new places.

I for one have a renewed love for the franchise and its all because of Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag.
  18. Nov 21, 2013
    After playing all the Assassin's Creed games, Assassin's Creed 3 was for me a welcomed new direction for the franchise that attempted to add depth to the game away from the main story missions. It wasn't the best game of them all, but it introduced the ship to ship combat and touched on a piece of American and British history that is very vital and interesting to me. Black Flag ups theAfter playing all the Assassin's Creed games, Assassin's Creed 3 was for me a welcomed new direction for the franchise that attempted to add depth to the game away from the main story missions. It wasn't the best game of them all, but it introduced the ship to ship combat and touched on a piece of American and British history that is very vital and interesting to me. Black Flag ups the ante a bit and fleshes out the combat at sea to the point that it's not just a side-note to the game. You can really feel the combat and parkour/free-run aspects solidifying with each title in this spectacular franchise. On Xbox One and PS4, the world is beautiful and showcases a little of what next gen consoles can do. I'm still a sucker for Assassin's Creed 2 & Brotherhood, but Black Flag brings out the swashbuckler in me and makes me want to reach for my best Jack Sparrow outfit, grab a bottle of rum, set sail and get lost at sea for days. Expand
  19. Nov 26, 2013
    Never played AC before. Ship combat is stellar and the feeling of going over real waves in the open sea must be experienced and is worth it alone to get the game. Hands down the ship combat is perfect and they nailed it. The open world and towns are also fun and the missions entertaining. I was a little frustrated by the difficulty at running through town at high speeds and accidentallyNever played AC before. Ship combat is stellar and the feeling of going over real waves in the open sea must be experienced and is worth it alone to get the game. Hands down the ship combat is perfect and they nailed it. The open world and towns are also fun and the missions entertaining. I was a little frustrated by the difficulty at running through town at high speeds and accidentally climbing walls, such as when chasing a courier, but that relatively minor. A great game all around and one that I will playing a lot. I love Ubisoft! One can tell they care a lot about this game and take pride in it. The scenery is spectacular, as well as the storyline. It would have been fun to have more chests to find on remote islands, some with gold even, and have them hidden and not appear on the map. Completists would complain but the game would be better with more random and difficult to find items and events. Sea storms are incredible, but the weather should persist through a ship battle and after, and ships a lot be able to attack during a boarding. Be able to reload the pistol by visiting your cabin to get more ammo. Perhaps have a realism gameplay mode that has greater risks but rewards. I would buy this for $100 now that I have played it as it stands now. Please make an open world ship battles with island control points where you set your flag on an island to get points, like Battlefield 1943 scoring and this would be the game to end all games. Expand
  20. Nov 20, 2013
    As a person who didn't like Assassin's Creed 3 I nearly gave up on the series after that.But after playing Black Flag I am happy to say that it vastly improves over it's predecessor and improves the Ship battles so now they have more and are a vital part of the core game mechanics then a easily ignored side quest.The combat is better and it now flows naturally instead of feeling clunky andAs a person who didn't like Assassin's Creed 3 I nearly gave up on the series after that.But after playing Black Flag I am happy to say that it vastly improves over it's predecessor and improves the Ship battles so now they have more and are a vital part of the core game mechanics then a easily ignored side quest.The combat is better and it now flows naturally instead of feeling clunky and uninspired. Expand
  21. Nov 25, 2013
    I love Assassin's Creed I've been a fan since day one of the first game. Ezio's story got stagnant towards the end of his run, but when they changed it up with III and involved the Revolutionary war it breathed new life into the series, especially for me. This one continues in that sense with it's focus on a subject that Johnny Depp made popular again pirates.

Top to bottom this game

Top to bottom this game is awesome, graphically it can't get much better for a last-gen game being ported to a Xbox One console. To think of what this game could have been if it was developed from ground up on the new console generations is awesome and makes me very hopeful.

This size of this game, variety of things you can do and the story all make this something you should definitely try if you are a fan of the series. I was doubtful on how they could pull off the Abstergo continuation (no spoilers from the 3rd will be typed here) but am happy with how they are continuing this. Overall it's a great game and one that takes great leaps ahead and should excite any AC fan for what lies ahead on the new consoles.
  22. Dec 5, 2013
    Must better than AC3!
    It's fun! it's beautiful! It's an open world! It's perfect for your Xbox One!
    Fun gameplay, cool story and amazing visual! So much going one in AC4 and you can't be bored!
  23. Jan 9, 2014
    I got so attached towards these characters, I fell in love with them. I cherish every second playing this game, and it completely immerses you in the brutal early 1700's of pirating.
  24. Nov 22, 2013
    its a quite good game.NOTHING missing.Great job Ubisoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  25. Nov 24, 2013
    Best Assassin's Creed game, no contest. In addition, Black Flag looks downright stunning on Xbox One hardware. The weather effects are better, the foliage is much more impressive, etc. Just a great game all around.
  26. Dec 6, 2013
    Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag mechanics are a great improvement upon previous titles in the series; making the wonder of sailing the ocean as I out run armada’s, hunting whales or boarding ships seem amazing. But the story felt a little directionless this time round because it’s a new protagonist and trying to not give the game away on the bigger picture Ubisoft has in store for theAssassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag mechanics are a great improvement upon previous titles in the series; making the wonder of sailing the ocean as I out run armada’s, hunting whales or boarding ships seem amazing. But the story felt a little directionless this time round because it’s a new protagonist and trying to not give the game away on the bigger picture Ubisoft has in store for the Assassin’s Creed series. Expand
  27. Dec 11, 2013
    Aside from Assassins Creed 2, this is by far one of the best one from the series. I have played all of them and I am really impreawed to see how deep and rich it has gotten. I love it!
  28. Nov 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4: 90% pirate, 10% assassin. To see a summary of this review scroll to the end.

Ubisoft went ahead and did the obvious. They took, the best part of Assassin's Creed 3, really the only really good part, and made a game out of it. Literally, they retrofitted the game engine used in the previous title into this a new game, while barely adding or changing anything. This whole game felt like an AC 3.1, rather than a new title.. which, I wouldn't have had a problem with, if they would have fixed the problems that plagued AC3, or actually gave us a good, satisfying story, like AC2, but they didn't.

Assassin's Creed wasn't particularly good when it came to game mechanics, AC1 and 2 were kind of bad actually, instead, it was built by it's amazing storytelling, beautiful setting, and wonderful soundtrack. I still listen to Ezio's Family by Jesper Kyd from AC2. That song brings back a kind of emotions that I rarely feel with games. AC4, however delivers only one of these, the setting. I'm going to start by criticizing the story itself. It's terrible. First off, it has nothing to do with Assassins, they barely make a cameo appearance, both inside and outside the Animus. The whole game revolves around pirates, and that wouldn't be a problem, if it was a good story. And it starts out good, but then it gets riddled with plot holes, poor writing, scenes that don't make sense, and although they stayed away from the obvious parrot cliches, they added a bunch of them story-wise. The story does make a few twists, but most of them you'll see coming a mily away, and most of them don't make sense. There is no main enemy in the game, and most of the things that happen in the game make no sense. And if you were expecting a great ending.. don't.. it is terrible. The only plot-twist you won't see coming in this game is the ending.. they drop it on you out of nowhere, just when you were expecting the game would truly begin, and then they hit you in the face with a poorly done cutscene, and leave you confused.

Here's a tip, dear Ubisoft. A story, every story, follows 5 basic steps, not necessarily in this order: Exposition, Rising Action, Progression, Climax, Ending. The 4th is completely missing, and the fifth leaves you confused, when it should leave you satisfied.

Then there are the actual missions in the story. Boring, repetitive and most of them don't make sense. All you do is follow this guy, eavesdrop on that guy. And on rare occasions you kill someone. Missions involving ships can be interesting, but at times they are the same boring "follow that ship" nonsense. In comparison with GTA 5, or Red Dead Redemption, where every mission was unique and intriguing, here they are boring, unimaginative and repetitive. The same goes for side missions. Assassinations, Naval Missions and Templar Hunts. All of them are basically the same. If you did one then you did all, there's no point in continuing. You play through it once, but you won't want to play through it a second time.

What saves the game is the beautiful and huge open world game, the side activities(not missions) and the naval combat. The setting is really amazing, although some fans of the series will find it irritating that you won't visit cities that much, only a couple times, and they are small with not a lot of things to do, the setting just didn't allow for that. Most of the time you will do what the game is all about: pirating. Naval combat is really fun, and it's been expanded upon a lot.: you can board ships, capture them, steal their cargo and send them to your fleet, you can attack naval forts and capture them. You can use those resources to upgrade your ship and so on. There are also underwater places you can explore, but there are limited, and in comparison with GTAV, where there was an entire open-world you could explore, here there are only ten locations, but it still looks great, and avoiding sharks and medusas is great fun. You can also raid plantations, which are a ton of fun... basically the side activities are really great, and make this game enjoyable, even though the story brings it down.

In summary, it looks like this game was made just so Ubisoft can make more money off of the ship mechanics in AC3. Combat and land based mechanics are basically the same as the previous game, although they did need changing and improving. The game engine is the same as it was in the third title, with very little improvement, or change, when it, again needed it. And all of this would not be a problem if the game offered a good story, but it doesn't. The story seems like an excuse to sell an adapted version of AC3, and the story is driven by the game mechanics, and not vice versa. Luckily the beautiful setting, graphics and excellent pirate game save the game and prop up the rating to a 6/10. You can't help but feel, if they only spent a little bit more time, and wouldn't pump out a game every year, it could've been an amazing game.
  29. Nov 29, 2013
    This is a phenomenal game. Sub 9 user ratings are ridiculous. The game is easily a 9, but rated 10 to balance the idiotically low ratings some users have submitted.

The graphics are a great display of next gen potential, the story is entertaining and the single player is addictive and fantastic. A negative is how easily you can be stuck climbing a wall or tree unintentionally... Although, it's easy to climb when you do intend to trade off I guess.

I have not yet played multi player but it sounds great as well

Highly recommended
  30. Nov 22, 2013
    I never really liked the Assassin's Creed games and now I know why. The gameplay doesn't appeal to me and the story and characters don't either. Just my opinion though.
  31. Dec 21, 2013
    A warning for those who are looking at this forum prior to purchasing this game. If you or any of your friends are considering buying this for the Xbox One, I would recommend against it. Here was my experience:

I was thoroughly enjoying it as I had with the previous Assassin's Creed games. This game on the Xbox one however is horrifically broken due to the inexplicable nature of randomly losing save progress and in my case, completely losing my save game (after untold hours of play). Unfortunately Microsoft does not provide a way for an individual to view or even backup save game data like you could with previous consoles or by finding the appropriate save game directory on the PC.

In my situation my game was overwritten on my profile with my son's data from his profile. We had been playing separately for several weeks as intended with no Issues. One day I logged in and his saved game was on my profile. There is no way to purposefully do this on this console due to the inability for an end-user to see or interact with save game data. The support at Microsoft was very friendly and helpful but unfortunately there was nothing they could do. It turns out that most likely the culprit is the Ubisoft UPlay functionality built inherently into the game that caused the issue. If you google "Assassin's Creed black flag save game" you find countless others who have had similar issues.

When I contacted Ubisoft support about the issue, they were short, rude and were uninformed on how the xbox one actually works (They asked if I had backed up my game). Not helpful at all. I have since cancelled my preorder for Watchdogs and got a refund from Microsoft for the DLC. It's a shame since I have played to completion all of the previous games in the series. I even have all achievements on AC2.
  32. Mar 23, 2014
    Sigh.. more of the same frustrating mess from the previous games. i want to be able to enjoy these games, and will keep trying since i liked AC2 so much, but this one is yet another disappointment. More long cutscenes with wooden animation that aren't interesting and you can't skip. More redundant, slow, boring "follow me" missions where you must walk slowly behind a guide. More randomSigh.. more of the same frustrating mess from the previous games. i want to be able to enjoy these games, and will keep trying since i liked AC2 so much, but this one is yet another disappointment. More long cutscenes with wooden animation that aren't interesting and you can't skip. More redundant, slow, boring "follow me" missions where you must walk slowly behind a guide. More random chase missions which you'll accidentily start climbing a wall when you intended to trun a corner, and lose more ground on your target. And my least favortie of all, the "tail" missions. I hit the first one of the game, rolled my eyes as i'm back in familiar territory, and just like with previous games, it's so annoying, not fun, and frustrating that i must quit the game. The mission I'm now embarssingly stuck on is to follow 2 guys, who will occasionally turn around and may spot you. That's easy enough but there enemy police are also looking out for you and they are all over the place. I get spotted no matter where i go, and even if i'm successful in eluding the enemy, my traget will be out of range and i can't get back to them fast enough without failing the mission. To me, these are just filler missions that take way too much time and have no entertainment value, but they are also way too tricky and difficult. If there's a way to skip these garbage missions, i'd be fine with them as an option, so i could get to the missions that I think are fun. You know, the ones where you actually ASSASSINATE targets or the climbing puzzles. There is fun to be had with these games, but they make it such a chore to get to. I feel like i spend an hour of unfun to get to the 10 minutes worth of fun missions. Not worth it to me. Add to the trade-in pile. Expand
  33. Mar 29, 2014
    Very disappointed in this one. I'm a long time fan of the AC series, but after AC 3 I felt like it was time to hang it up. Then came Black Flag which did have my interest. Unfortunately I was very underwhelmed by this game. The story was not good, the characters were not interesting, and naval combat is still not that great. Combat is fun and graphically on the X1 it looks great.Very disappointed in this one. I'm a long time fan of the AC series, but after AC 3 I felt like it was time to hang it up. Then came Black Flag which did have my interest. Unfortunately I was very underwhelmed by this game. The story was not good, the characters were not interesting, and naval combat is still not that great. Combat is fun and graphically on the X1 it looks great. Multiplayer can be fun, but there are minimal improvements to it. Overall I'm not sure if I'll ever get a AC game again, this one is okay at best, but it should have ended already. Expand
  34. Feb 25, 2014
    AC4 is the sixth installment in a stale franchise, and as it does try to bring life back into the franchise it still falls short for myself. The thing that i loved so much in AC2 was the story. To me nothing was better then that amazing story of Ezio and it will remain my favorite AC game in the series. AC Revelations and 3 almost killed off the series with there boring stories and awfulAC4 is the sixth installment in a stale franchise, and as it does try to bring life back into the franchise it still falls short for myself. The thing that i loved so much in AC2 was the story. To me nothing was better then that amazing story of Ezio and it will remain my favorite AC game in the series. AC Revelations and 3 almost killed off the series with there boring stories and awful character choice of Connor. I was glad to see a new edgier protagonist and 4 was very much so a step in the right direction. But is it just me or am i the only person who doesn't give two **** about boats? I mean i really don't, the the problem is almost half the game your on a boat and it bothers me i like exploring the land not the sea and i can't understand why ubisoft keeps going back to it i mean if they love it so much they should make a new game about that and leave AC alone. I will still buy the next AC that will release i just hope that they reinvigorate the franchise like the very first 2 did. if not i don't see a world where assassin's creed will be around for another 5 years. Also quite with the **** multiplayer, just because a few people enjoy it doesn't mean you should waste your time and effort with it. instead how about working on the graphics because AC4 was one of the worst graphical games of the new generation and that saddens me. Expand
  35. May 28, 2014
    This game was a wonderful recovery for the Assassin franchise, with an interesting main story as well as a nice twist on the Abstergo narrative. The mechanics of the game are well suited to showcase the ocean battles and hand-to-hand combat. Multiplayer still feels like it could use a nice buffing, maybe an in game option to either work for or against the main character. Still allThis game was a wonderful recovery for the Assassin franchise, with an interesting main story as well as a nice twist on the Abstergo narrative. The mechanics of the game are well suited to showcase the ocean battles and hand-to-hand combat. Multiplayer still feels like it could use a nice buffing, maybe an in game option to either work for or against the main character. Still all together it was a fun game with hours of play time and exploration. Expand
  36. Jul 13, 2014
    Easily the best game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. After the low that was Assassin's Creed 3, I think most fans can agree that we were worried about the next AC being a disappointment, as well.

Connor was probably the most disliked AC character to date, with his monotone, mediocre voice-acting and overall dull "must do right" character. Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a

Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a much lighter tone to the franchise, akin to Jack Sparrow.

The story is great. The combat, crafting, free-running and everything else has all been revamped. I bought this game the day it came out and it has quickly become my favorite Assassin's Creed.
  37. Dec 17, 2013
    Assassin's Creed IV is a very good game because even if you're not a fan of the series, you will enjoy every adventure with Edward Kenway. This story is set in the golden age of piracy which is a very enjoyable experience. So, concluding, I must admit that this game is my favorite in all the Assassin's Creed saga, and it's weird but this one is my favorite because there is not a lot ofAssassin's Creed IV is a very good game because even if you're not a fan of the series, you will enjoy every adventure with Edward Kenway. This story is set in the golden age of piracy which is a very enjoyable experience. So, concluding, I must admit that this game is my favorite in all the Assassin's Creed saga, and it's weird but this one is my favorite because there is not a lot of content about the assassins creed, because the saga needed something like this, and this was caused because of Assassin's Creed 3 and its horrible and quickly final. Expand
  38. Mar 1, 2014
    The game looks great, story is interesting and the naval combat is amazing. This is probably the best in the series since AC2 and brotherhood. The open world was amazing and there is so much to explore. At times I would go 5 or 6 hours just exploring the world and all it has to offer without playing the campaign. My only problem is the combat. In this area the game has very little toThe game looks great, story is interesting and the naval combat is amazing. This is probably the best in the series since AC2 and brotherhood. The open world was amazing and there is so much to explore. At times I would go 5 or 6 hours just exploring the world and all it has to offer without playing the campaign. My only problem is the combat. In this area the game has very little to offer. There are two melee weapons swords and hidden blades. although there is about 6-8 different swords all of the have the same animation. after playing the game for a couple hours you've most likely have seen every animation. This is very disappointing. Even if they want to keep swords only for authenticity they could at least create other different animations. The multiplayer is same of normal. If you haven't liked it in the pass you wont like it now Expand
  39. Mar 3, 2014
    A good game and great fun for the most part. The game world is fun to explore and exciting to be a part of. The environments look stunning and make you feel immersed in the game that bit more. The game is at its best when you forget the story missions and go about make Edward the ultimate pirate. This is because the majority of the story missions consist of finding a target, tailing themA good game and great fun for the most part. The game world is fun to explore and exciting to be a part of. The environments look stunning and make you feel immersed in the game that bit more. The game is at its best when you forget the story missions and go about make Edward the ultimate pirate. This is because the majority of the story missions consist of finding a target, tailing them to a location while listening to dialogue you really don't care about until finally being able to kill them. This gets very repetitive and becomes very annoying quickly. A fresh addition into the series, but not original enough. Expand
  40. Mar 17, 2014
    I've played the previous Assasins Creed games and enjoyed them. This one... not so much. The story is decent, the pirate era is a great setting for one of these games although I felt it wasn't as well written as AC III. The graphics are okay, nothing to get excited about, it looks like a nice port of a last gen game.

My main gripe with this game is the gameplay. It feels more like a

My main gripe with this game is the gameplay. It feels more like a naval battle simulator than an AC game game, even if the naval battles are the highlight. The real problem is the controls and how broken Kenways "fluid" actions are. I don't know if this is isolated to The Xbox One version or if its just my version, but I cannot count how many times I would hurriedly climb a wall only to have Kenway stop and hang from the roof of a building, refusing to go further until I shimmied a foot to the left or right. Or how you chase shanties (some really catchy tunes actually), pushing forward on the thumbstick and have Kenway inexplicably leap off at a right angle. Combat is the same way; clunky and unresponsive, a complete opposite of my experience on Assassins Creed III.

I did manage to finish it and although it can be fun at times, the craptastic controls and clunky "free-flow" movement eventually infuriated me to the point where I uninstalled it from my Xbox One. It feels like a completely different team worked on this than did AC I - III.
  41. May 3, 2014
    If I were rating this game just on game play and presentation, I would give it at least an 8. That being said, it's the same old Assassin's Creed we love, just too repetitive. Every memory requires a lengthily "follow
    ' the target without being seen and kill whomever "without being seen. I felt more like Solid Snake most of the time. The ship battles are super repetitive and the side distractions are not that great.....I'm looking at you Diving Bell. I finished the game and could take out virtually any ship or fort with my Jackdaw being barely halfway upgraded. The trade route fleet missions are a poor replacement for the recruit an assassin missions from the Ezio trilogy. Bottom line, if you give two **** about the story arc, just watch YouTube.
  42. Sep 21, 2014
    Good:
    -Huge step in the right direction for this franchise
    -Naval combat is much fun -Storyline is engaging and you actually care about the characters -Music is amazing. I felt like a pirate playing this game. Bad: -Stealth mechanics are a joke -Stalking missions are so frustrating -You need to do frustrating side missions to stand any chance at beating the story mission
    Good:
    -Huge step in the right direction for this franchise
    -Naval combat is much fun
    -Storyline is engaging and you actually care about the characters
    -Music is amazing. I felt like a pirate playing this game.

Bad:
    -Stealth mechanics are a joke
    -Stalking missions are so frustrating
    -Underwater mission is not fun, swimming with sharks is NOT fun
    -Very DLC driven game.
    -Multiplayer is non-existent
    -Cooperative mode is more like "lets see how can kill this guy first mode"
  43. Feb 2, 2015
    My favorite AC game yet. Looks fantastic on the X1. Where else can you get your ship destroyed by waterspouts, fort cannon fire, and fire barrels from enemy ships ... all in the same gaming session?!?!
    My only complaint: I just ran into a mission type I do not like; all stealth, no killing mission. :-(

I'll give it a 9. Maybe I'll revisit my rating when I complete the full campaign.
  44. Apr 2, 2015
    It takes and expands upon the ship sailing elements from Assassin's Creed 3 and becomes an entry in the series that's part pirate-life simulator. The game gives you the freedom to do things like plunder ships, search for hidden treasures, discover islands, and much more in a large and beautiful world that's filled to the brim with things to do. The main story missions are just as excitingIt takes and expands upon the ship sailing elements from Assassin's Creed 3 and becomes an entry in the series that's part pirate-life simulator. The game gives you the freedom to do things like plunder ships, search for hidden treasures, discover islands, and much more in a large and beautiful world that's filled to the brim with things to do. The main story missions are just as exciting in their own ways.

While I liked the protagonist I can't say that I cared about his motives or his quest for "the Observatory." The plot mainly just serves as an excuse for players to set sail. I did find it interesting that you're not playing as a real assassin. Main character Edward Kenway is just a person who gets caught up in their world due to his search for the same thing. It's interesting to see the conflict between the templars and the assassins through the eyes of someone who doesn't care about it. The side-characters, who are comprised of legendary pirates, are completely uninteresting.

After the ending to AC3 I was curious to see how they were going to approach the modern day segments. It's a unique change from what came before, but it doesn't push the narrative forward. Instead all we get are possible hints to where the story might go in the future. Outside of a few hacking sections, gameplay here mostly just consists of walking from point A to point B and back. However there are some clever secrets hidden if you want to take the time to hack all of your co-workers computers and hunt down every illusive sticky note.

While story elements fall short the gameplay is king. There's plenty to do and enough rewards to make it all worth doing. It's the first time I've actually felt inclined to doing as much of the side-content as I can. It's mostly due to the fact that everything shows up on your map. In past AC games somethings just didn't show up, so 100-percenting it came down to blindly searching every inch of the map. Not a fun task. Here I can see where everything is located and can go and complete or collect it at my own leisure without the stress of wasting my time looking for every obscure bit.

Multiplayer also takes steps forward. It's the most refined experience I've played yet, and the first time I can conceivably see myself coming back to it. Sadly there aren't any ship battles online. The only complaint I really have on the gameplay side is that upgrading your ship can be a grind. Hunting down necessary materials comes down to raiding warehouses (which never seem to refill) and plundering other ships. It takes a while to do any of that or to get enough materials for the next upgrade. Given that some story missions require upgraded ships in order to survive make it something that can't be skipped. Still, it is worth it when you finally get that maxed out, unstoppable super ship.

Not only is "Black Flag" a gorgeous display of next-gen (or rather, current gen) graphics, but it's an addictive game that's filled with quality content. It's let's you feel the freedom of being a pirate while providing the thrills that fans of the AC series love. This is one you won't regret setting sail with.
  45. May 23, 2014
    The controls are still really bad. People weren't exaggerating in their reviews when they talked about how many times they got stuck on a wall, etc. It's so infuriating during a chase sequence. Animations are also still really stiff. Its a shame because as usual, the environments are gorgeous. The mission structure hasn't changed. The game is still made up mostly of follow, chase,The controls are still really bad. People weren't exaggerating in their reviews when they talked about how many times they got stuck on a wall, etc. It's so infuriating during a chase sequence. Animations are also still really stiff. Its a shame because as usual, the environments are gorgeous. The mission structure hasn't changed. The game is still made up mostly of follow, chase, and combat missions. I decided to get this game because of the summer drought. It will be something to keep me busy, but it will be a chore to get through. Expand
  46. May 11, 2014
    General Impression: Assassin's Creed has found a rebound in IV: Black Flag. III, which I love for the setting alone (big revolutionary war period buff) but was let down by the changes and lack thereof in that game, found perhaps my second favorite setting (love pirates too!) to not disappoint at all! The controls are a bit "floaty" and cause Edward to do things I don't intend, but thatGeneral Impression: Assassin's Creed has found a rebound in IV: Black Flag. III, which I love for the setting alone (big revolutionary war period buff) but was let down by the changes and lack thereof in that game, found perhaps my second favorite setting (love pirates too!) to not disappoint at all! The controls are a bit "floaty" and cause Edward to do things I don't intend, but that is overcome by the return of fun tactical game play mix of stealth and action. The addition of sea combat is MUCH improved and is fun addition instead of the dull addition as it was in III. Overall its a fun game with a good story, great combat and fun action sequences. Graphics are very well done and makes good use of the XBO's power and really adds to the immersion.

Character Development: 10 - the development of Edward and the characters of the story are superb.

Story: 9.5 - Well written dialog and very period appropriate. The story flows well and makes you care about what happens. I found myself immersed and often having a hard time putting down the controller. The story is also long enough with tons of side activities to keep you busy for HOURS on end. The mix of urban and open area works well in this game unlike in 3 where it really struggled with open areas.

Voice Acting: 10 - Fantastic cast that really delivers solid performances with convincing inflections, personality and excellent animation on the deliveries.

Combat: 10 - Combat shines as usual with many ways to complete missions and stylistic choices that flow easily.

Game play systems: 9.5 - There is not a lot of innovation here but that is not a bad thing. The addition of pistols is interesting and adds another level of tactical game play. Black Flag continues to deliver that original solid game play with not extensive but well done additions (sea ship to ship battles and pistols). The pacing of the game is spot on with frenetic and tense action that can be calmed by escaping in order to bring down the tempo and return to more stealth based play. The only issue here is the "floaty" quality of the controls that are overly imprecise at times and can cause some unintended actions on Edward's part. A better balance needs to be found between responsiveness and control.

Crafting:Not applicable. Upgrades are all earned or found or purchased.

Customization: Like all AC games there is no customization available beyond choosing weapons and tools that fit your chosen play style preferences.

Sound: 10 - As usual sound really matter in AC and this continues in this game with very well developed sound and great distance to volume recognition.

Soundtrack: 10 - Well developed and very period appropriate. Pirate shanties are well done and the music is well placed and aid the pacing of the game.

Overall score: 9.5 - A tight and well crafted open world game with TONS of continual play value and replay if you want to live out the captivating story again. My only ding on this and all AC games is the floaty controls that can cause Edward to do unintended actions - but is necessary to make the game responsive. If a better balance could be created for the controller it would be a 10 but as it is its a VERY SOLID 9.5 for an open world stealth/action game and a great launch title for the XBO - by far the best to date available to the XBO.
  47. Jul 11, 2014
    This is an awesome game, the open world, the ships, the storms. Without the ocean side of things its nothing new, but with the ocean battles it was grand. One of the best games I've played and it could have been a 10 if it wasn't for 3 things.

1. Present day ruined my immersion, I was just feeling like a pirate living the life and i am pulled out and i am someone else, this only ruined the experience, I basically slammed in my face hey your not a pirate its not real, what a horrible mistake.
    2. No horses, I'm pretty sure horses existed before ships. I have to run all over populated islands but no a horse to be found, such an obvious omission says they ran out of time.
    3. Controls, there are buttons on my controller that aren't used, but some buttons have multiple purposes. How many times was I running through streets where I started climbing a building or fence or something else I didn't want too. How hard would it have been to when running hold town top left button and I wont climb on anything, very easy.

Fix these three things for the unity version and we might have a 10. However if they remove the sea battles it will loose a lot.
  48. Apr 5, 2015
    -OH MY GLOB! This game is so much fun..ESP on youre JackJaw(you're ship).. Reminds me of one of my all time favorite games, and I think the creators also were motivated by "PIRATES~Legend of the Black Cat"..
    ---but that was PS1or PS2...
    ----hunting sharks and whales is fun. But don't let you're wife!GF,Daughter or mom see it..(roll eyes) ----this is my 1st assassin's Creed game
    ---but that was PS1or PS2...

----this is my 1st assassin's Creed game ever! Well I tried 3 but never even made it to e Assassin Indian guy..and my bros and friends all swear by Assassin's Creed 2 being top 10 best games of all time blah blah..They all say same thing About "Uncharted-2"..

-This review is to convince you to Play the game...because it's not about spending the $money$,,it's about investing the PRECIOUS TIME, and pulling you away from you're other favorite games or maybe you haven't started Bloodborne or GTAV or something...

--this game is worth it...I'm still somewhat doing the tutorial.and I'm 3 days deep..by tutorial I mean= missions that have you do basic special features like hunt a Bull shark or use you're Special vision etc..it's because I keep having fun pirating in the ship and playing the mini game with you're fleet,,
    ----Every enemy ship you fight and win= you have the option to scuttle it for repairs,or lower you're wanted stars,,,or my favorite = ADD IT TO YOURE FLEET.. Ta only do Thai for the Bigger Higher Level ships you take down,,and once you get ship strategy down = you can own ships a little better then you but attacking them intheAss,or nose and turn with them as they try to position they're side cannons ,,,,
    ---and there's the Fleet mini game that is simulated fun in its self..
    --Checkers mini game is fun too.. Haven't tried the other 2-3 mini gMes like checkers or Sabaac..

--land fighting feels great.. Ever since I played Batman Arkham Asylum i looooove counter attacking and knowing when to stop attacking to counter etc...it makes fighting fun...

---so for me this game right off the bat is what assassins creed 3 probably became once you got to the Indian assassin... I don't give out perfect 10 to games unless they are truly EPIC/SPECIAL like GTAV,Fallout3,DCUO,KOTOR,Arkham city,Farcry3Diablo2..
    --sorry, didn't mean to derail and spam the review with my perfect list. I coulda went on & on..I didn't erse it cause I woulda not reading someone e,she's "perfect list"...
    ----get this game,,it looks next gen and plays great.. I Don't kow framertes, but I do know it flows and has ZERO lag, even when the screen is full of people like in cities or a port...
    ----Can't belie I missed assassin's Creed 2 back in the day.. I bet everyone was right and it was special......
  49. Dec 21, 2013
    It is a great action game however minor bugs ruined part of my gameplay such as the spawn of Oz, which always appears in the same place after you leave the site, the explorations are cool but the enemies is stupid and don't attack you in double time but the game is cool
  50. Feb 23, 2015
    I enjoyed the first 2 assassins creed games but then got bored of the series. Picked up black flag on sale recently and it's a solid game. My biggest complaints are that the forced stealth sections are frustrating due to loose controls and schemes that have one button perform multiple functions which causes you do do things you weren't intending to do and my other biggest complaint is thatI enjoyed the first 2 assassins creed games but then got bored of the series. Picked up black flag on sale recently and it's a solid game. My biggest complaints are that the forced stealth sections are frustrating due to loose controls and schemes that have one button perform multiple functions which causes you do do things you weren't intending to do and my other biggest complaint is that you are required to have done side quests to build up your ship to progress the story which can be annoying when you hit a certain point that you cannot pass because you did not do OPTIONAL side activities earlier in the game. Expand
  51. Sep 13, 2014
    Yet another copy and paste franchise game from the Industry. Assassin's Creed 2 and 3 were absolutely amazing, yet greed and laziness gets in the way of innovation yet again. I'm only giving this a 5 because of the ship combat, otherwise it's a waste of money. If you want to find out about the story, do yourself a favor and watch youtube.
  52. Oct 16, 2014
    Possibly the best game on Xbox One? When it was released it was without a doubt that this game was above the rest in terms of an all round experience. With the open world, the great story, stunning visuals and many many missions and collectables, this game has plenty to offer.

I never enjoy the previous Assassin's Creed games. After reading the reviews I took a risk on this one. In return I was treated with one of the best games I have played.

There was no better feeling than sailing the seas during sunset, the realistic looking waves and ditties sung by your crew but you in a place that's never been experienced in a game before. Plus look for the waterfall in the jungle. I took 5 minutes just to enjoy the moment.
  53. Nov 1, 2014
    This assassin's is the first one that I wanted to actually finish, I lost interest in the last couple, felt too repetitive without enough fun. I really enjoyed this and the songs that got stuck in my heads for weeks. It is 7-8
  54. Nov 8, 2014
    The Assassin's Creed series was kind of becoming stale for me and I never had plans to buy this game or number 3. I received this game when I bought my Xbox One.

While some of the old Assassin's Creed elements are still there and the city crawling feels wearily familiar. What blew me away and the reason I will be putting many hours into this game is the naval gameplay and combat.

If they released a game that was just the navel aspects of the game I would not hesitate to play it. If you are getting tired of the Assassin's Creed games, but really just want to enjoy a fun pirate game, pick this up.
  55. Nov 12, 2014
    A very good game in all departments. I have got the game to 94% completion, only things outstanding are a few multiplayer bits.

If you have not tried this franchise before this would make a great entry point as it is slightly disengaged from the previous stories, although there are some flashbacks.
  56. Nov 27, 2014
    My background isn't very strong when it comes to Assassin's Creed games. The only other game of the franchise that I have played was the first one and I could not devote more time than the 4 hours I invested into it back then. That being said I enjoyed it more then the first. This review will be for single player only, multiplayer was not played enough to give a decent review.

In the

In the beginning I had a hard time immersing myself into the character, as well as the concept of being a pirate. However, the farther I progressed the more I found pleasure in sailing, hunting and being Edward. I typically enjoy leveling up early on and feeling overpowered in any video game, and to a certain degree this game allows it, just before capping you at a reasonable level to complete the next section of the story.

The free roaming had some getting used to. I found Edward running up walls and doing things that brought me out of any immersion I was in. Quickly making me realize that I was playing a video game and not fully synced in. The side tasks seem forced, but I found myself going along with them anyways just for achievements and new outfits. I guess you could say I'm a sucker for that.

In all, free roaming games are not my specialty and I write this from someone who has a strong background in shooters and RTS games.I usually find myself lost in wide open stories, but looking back I always had something to keep me going. I enjoyed Black Flag and what it had to offer. It's multiplayer could use more players, but I respect its attempts in keeping players coming back and building a stronger community through "interaction.". For those who love free roaming, pirate games, "history" and decent story this game is for you.
  57. Dec 13, 2014
    Okay, so I am a year late for this review, so I wont waste any time. Let me just start by saying that Black Flag does allot of things right. I feel that the parkour is in much better standing than its predecessors, that the main story (Edward's story) was also a great experience and one that I am happy to have had. I think this is why I keep coming back to Assassins Creed the most, becauseOkay, so I am a year late for this review, so I wont waste any time. Let me just start by saying that Black Flag does allot of things right. I feel that the parkour is in much better standing than its predecessors, that the main story (Edward's story) was also a great experience and one that I am happy to have had. I think this is why I keep coming back to Assassins Creed the most, because of the story and Ubisoft's way of giving you a rough history lesson in such a great and fun way, I do appreciate that allot as i don't see many other games on the market offering that experience. Okay, that having been said, theres a few things about Black Flag that did get on my nerves. The Assassins vs. Templars concept in Black Flag was just... Ugh, it could have easily gone without it thats all I can really say it feels like an afterthought in Black Flag. The combat is still ridiculously easy and its actually beginning to become a bore after all these years. The tailing missions.... So many damn tailing missions, honestly if I never have to do those again I will be happy. When I explore the later Islands even after I have collected everything the area is still off bounds and I get shot by the spanish or british on sight, and that is pretty annoying I feel like i should be able to sail anywhere I please. Techhnically this game is sound. The game runs beautifully I have rarely experienced a FPS drop and despite digital foundry's comparison, the game does look great on my 40" Samsung display. Look, in a nutshell, i think Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag is the best possible sendoff for Assassins Creed before it heads into next gen. Im overly happy with it, it may seem a bit dated, but it has a beatiful story and its a great experience at heart. Worth a buy, especially these days, and considering Unity doesnt have competitive multiplayer, and me being in Australia can still find a match, I would definitely reccomend this game to anyone in a heartbeat. Cheers ubisoft you've ruined allot of things but i have to say I'm happy with what you did with Black Flag. Expand
  58. Jan 9, 2015
    I gave it a 8, but it's more of a 7.5, 7 feels too mean considering the low price.

It's good because it's Assassin's Creed; It delivers a true AC game but being a pirate is not always as fun as it should be. The biggest problem is how repetitive it is, many other AC games suffered this fate but they distracted you from the problems by involving you in a story, in AC Black Flag you're

The biggest problem is how repetitive it is, many other AC games suffered this fate but they distracted you from the problems by involving you in a story, in AC Black Flag you're delivered a larger game but you lose the closeness of character.
    My brother loves the Xbox 360 version but when we compared it to next gen the One feels awkward to play, almost as though you're playing/running in straight lines; for a game which boasts running freedom this to me is a real problem.
    This continues to be a flaw in fighting scenes and I'm often left feeling like I'm really not in control.

There are many good points, it's stunning to look at, it's hugely varied and offers a good 100% challenge, plus the addition of packs for success shows the game is tough to master, which in my mind means the developers understand games should be challenging.
    It lacks though, because of gameplay and repetition, but for a few £'s over a fiver it can sit happily on your HDD and give you a fun story to bash though/occasionally enjoy or a long route to success.
  59. Jan 20, 2015
    I liked it a lot. It was very different than a normal ac game, but that's good because it felt fresh with surprisingly good naval combat. The jackdaw customization was also very good, and I really liked a lot of the characters. The open world was huge and had a lot of cool locations. The plot may not be the best of the series, but the characters and both land and sea gameplay make up for it.
  60. Feb 7, 2015
    I have been waiting for a game like this for many years. It has set a new standard for adventure games and I think every RPG, adventure, MMO, third person designer should learn from this game. The only thing that would have made it perfect for me is the immerse exploration, customization depth, and loot satisfaction from a game like Skyrim. No full campaign co-op is also a deal breaker.I have been waiting for a game like this for many years. It has set a new standard for adventure games and I think every RPG, adventure, MMO, third person designer should learn from this game. The only thing that would have made it perfect for me is the immerse exploration, customization depth, and loot satisfaction from a game like Skyrim. No full campaign co-op is also a deal breaker. AC:Black Flag and Skyrim should meet and have babies. In Skyrim I only dream of being able to sail, board and disembark, capture ships, hire crew and being able to fight and move like you do in AC, hunting, climbing, hiding, doing crazy acrobatic kills. And in turn when I play AC I only dream of building a custom home, creating my own weapons, mix and matching clothes and armor, collecting Sh%^ and putting it on display, purchasing homes, riding horses. Every time I play any of these 2 games I start to day dream, waiting until someone out there creates the perfect game using both games as inspiration. Aside from that, the game is the closest thing to the perfect modern fun adventure RPG. The best pirate game on console and probably PC to date, There is a decent number of outfits/skins but it could have way more and you cant mix and match. The choice of weapon types is limited. The exploration is very satisfying but boring after a while, I would loved to see the crew disembark and accompany the character,. until you start climbing that is, but also most of the islands are deserted and even though that's realistic, there is no real danger when exploring aside from the occasional Jaguar, or sharks. Also they removed horses from AC games now, what gives? Horses are awesome in any game. The graphics look very good and the environment animation such as water and vegetation is among the best I've ever seem but the NPC and some object's fade distance is really really short. The battles have improved a lot from the previous games and it is very satisfying but the kill animations and finishing moves are very repetitive and sometimes long, interrupting the gratifying thrill of this award winning combat system.NOTE: (All RPG games should have this combat style even "skyrim" style games, to some level of degree of course if Damage and Armor rating could be logically fit into the equation. Anyway, The naval combat is really fun and very anticipated but very confusing and difficult to maneuver at first, the controls are a bit awkward and the canons hard to aim, I think the naval combat in AC3 was a bit easier to handle. Ship customization is decent enough but I would like to see the opportunity to purchase different size ships in the future and expand on the fleet idea a bit more. The collectibles and loot system is repetitive but addictive and not very gratifying, in skyrim you open a chest and can see a menu of the items available and players get all exited about finding a rare or powerful weapon, in Black flag opening chests is just dull and there is rarely any weapons or outfits in them. I understand they are considered collectibles like the feathers but that only proves how sucky the looting system is in AC games. Looting corpses is boring and slow and you only get like 3 bucks per corpse, you have to kill at least 40 guards and search them one by one in order to make a decent living as a looter. I want to strip the body and sell their weapons and clothes, or wear them, or give them to my followers/crew members to wear. The shanty feature is pretty cool you collect these songs that your crew can sing while sailing but chasing these songs is a pain in the ass. I also would like to see options to purchase property, houses businesses, vessels, in future games. I would also like to see future games with co-op capability, and not just some missions like the Multiplayer on this game or the 4 player co-op they added in Unity, I'm talking about full campaign co-op where you get to complete all missions and explore all areas with a friend or two, trade items, share a ship or home. In conclusion, Black Flag is a very fun and immerse game which I hope to play the crap out of but it is a little repetitive and after a while exploring and isn't as fun anymore. . Thanks for reading. Expand
  61. Feb 20, 2015
    Finally I brought myself to play this part of the Assassin series. One of the best Assassin's Creed game out there in my opinion! You may wonder why I rate it just a 7. It might be due to me playing five AC games in the last two years and getting a tad exhausted in the setting, and it is. This would have worked a lot better if it was made a new IP about pirates! Yes! I want... No. I NEEDFinally I brought myself to play this part of the Assassin series. One of the best Assassin's Creed game out there in my opinion! You may wonder why I rate it just a 7. It might be due to me playing five AC games in the last two years and getting a tad exhausted in the setting, and it is. This would have worked a lot better if it was made a new IP about pirates! Yes! I want... No. I NEED that!

The story feels tired and templars vs. assassins setting feels old already. The modern day sequences feel like they have nothing to do with anything. Story progresses but nothing really drastic happen. I play the AC series for the story, not for the gameplay (which I'm not so fond of). I expected a lot more from the storytelling since I've heard this might be the best iteration in the series so far.

The game itself is a load of fun, I cannot deny that fact. Sailing in the open world, plundering innocent merchants, conquering fortresses and fighting the Royal Navy can be so much fun that I dedicated myself in the open world more than the story. A thing I've never done before in this series. Storms feel alive and look really good. The game looks quite good overall on the Xbox One, but it didn't make me go "wow" as I played the previous parts on PC.

Fighting mechanics are similar to AC3. Boring to me at this point. The most efficient battle strategy in my experience is just to counter attack with the hidden blades. New weapons look interesting but they are wasted as the counter attack strategy is even more effective. Climbing is exactly the same as before and I personally dislike it already.

Setting of the game is extremely interesting. But why, oh why, impale the concept with assassins and templars? I cannot stress it enough. The main protagonist couldn't care less of the old quarrel between these two orders for most of the game, why should I? Especially when I have been solving their little problems for the last 400 years.

Don't get me wrong. Me giving this a 7 is not a sign of dislike. Comparing this to other games I have played in the last year this did not leave me craving for more as other games might have left me. 7 is a good score after all isn't it?
  62. Mar 25, 2015
    This is my favourite AC and overall game so far on X1. I loved every minute of it, great Caribbean atmosphere, naval missions, great story with twisted and dark moments.
    If you like Black Flag I suggest picking up Freedom Cry DLC as this pack won't disappoint you. Blag Flag is 10/10!
  63. Nov 26, 2013
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Apr 20, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is the best Assassin's Creed experience in terms of scale, freedom and gameplay. Between land and sea, the journey of Edward Kenway is really captivating.
  2. Dec 15, 2013
    I've played all of the major titles released with the Xbox One, and the one that I've had the most fun with, the one that I keep going back to, is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. If you get only one game with your shiny new Xbox One console, make it this one.
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    Beyond the underwhelming main campaign, Black Flag delivers a world brimming with gorgeous places to go, amazing secrets to discover, and nefarious pirates to stab.