7.1

1. Nov 20, 2013
    As a person who didn't like Assassin's Creed 3 I nearly gave up on the series after that.But after playing Black Flag I am happy to say that it vastly improves over it's predecessor and improves the Ship battles so now they have more and are a vital part of the core game mechanics then a easily ignored side quest.The combat is better and it now flows naturally instead of feeling clunky and uninspired. Expand
  2. Nov 24, 2013
    Best Assassin's Creed game, no contest. In addition, Black Flag looks downright stunning on Xbox One hardware. The weather effects are better, the foliage is much more impressive, etc. Just a great game all around.
  3. Nov 26, 2013
    I was skeptical about the game before purchasing it,since I'm not really into pirates. After getting the game, its nearly all I've played on my Xbox One. The graphics are great and make it very enjoyable, but above all I was shocked by how smooth it played and all of the options that it gives you. You can transition from being the captain driving the ship to hopping into the ocean and swimming to an island instantly, no wait time, its great. I also enjoy how large the map is. The map is a scaled down version of the Caribbean and seems at this point it will take a long long time to beat the game and all the quests. Great game, even if you don't like pirate games, you will have fun playing this. Its cool because you attack and shoot other ships and forts, once you lower their health you jump on the ship and fight hand to hand to win their ship and take their supplies. Its a great balance between being on the ship and on land, that is for sure.
    Bad things: I wish there was more customization, you can only get 5-10 swords/pistols each. I feel like they could have really made it fun if they allowed you to customize your stuff in more detail with more options
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    its a quite good game.NOTHING missing.Great job Ubisoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Nov 26, 2013
    Never played AC before. Ship combat is stellar and the feeling of going over real waves in the open sea must be experienced and is worth it alone to get the game. Hands down the ship combat is perfect and they nailed it. The open world and towns are also fun and the missions entertaining. I was a little frustrated by the difficulty at running through town at high speeds and accidentally climbing walls, such as when chasing a courier, but that relatively minor. A great game all around and one that I will playing a lot. I love Ubisoft! One can tell they care a lot about this game and take pride in it. The scenery is spectacular, as well as the storyline. It would have been fun to have more chests to find on remote islands, some with gold even, and have them hidden and not appear on the map. Completists would complain but the game would be better with more random and difficult to find items and events. Sea storms are incredible, but the weather should persist through a ship battle and after, and ships a lot be able to attack during a boarding. Be able to reload the pistol by visiting your cabin to get more ammo. Perhaps have a realism gameplay mode that has greater risks but rewards. I would buy this for $100 now that I have played it as it stands now. Please make an open world ship battles with island control points where you set your flag on an island to get points, like Battlefield 1943 scoring and this would be the game to end all games. Expand
  6. Nov 25, 2013
    I love Assassin's Creed I've been a fan since day one of the first game. Ezio's story got stagnant towards the end of his run, but when they changed it up with III and involved the Revolutionary war it breathed new life into the series, especially for me. This one continues in that sense with it's focus on a subject that Johnny Depp made popular again pirates.

Top to bottom this game
    is awesome, graphically it can't get much better for a last-gen game being ported to a Xbox One console. To think of what this game could have been if it was developed from ground up on the new console generations is awesome and makes me very hopeful.

This size of this game, variety of things you can do and the story all make this something you should definitely try if you are a fan of the series. I was doubtful on how they could pull off the Abstergo continuation (no spoilers from the 3rd will be typed here) but am happy with how they are continuing this. Overall it's a great game and one that takes great leaps ahead and should excite any AC fan for what lies ahead on the new consoles.
  7. Dec 3, 2013
    After an extremely disappointing and dull affair that was Assassins Creed 3, I promised myself that I would never again waste my hard earned cash on an Assassins Creed game. So when the announced AC 4, I said here we go again and no thank you. But since its release I have been keeping an eye on gameplay trailers and reviews which started to change my mind.

So I eventually took the
    plunge and purchased the game, and boy was I surprised.
    It is just superb, ok it’s not perfect and no game is I suppose. It still lacks the ability to crouch, this for some reason has never been part of the series and they should include it in the next game. And there are the usual tedious follow and listen missions, but aside from all that.

The environments are amazing; from the lush jungles to the tiny fishing villages are all bright and colourful. Then they are the Naval battles and Sailing, which are the highlight of the game, it is a superb experience and one that will remain with you for hours after each time you play it. I can’t get enough of sailing the high seas and listening to the sound of the waves crashing against the hull and discovering new places.

I for one have a renewed love for the franchise and its all because of Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag.
  8. Jan 7, 2014
    I own all of the X1 launch titles worth owning and can safely say this is the best of them all. Runs perfectly, looks great and offers so much to do. Haven't spent this much time exploring and doing side quests since Fallout: NV. Gotta say after a terrible and hateful experience with AC3, I am truly impressed and happy that I bought Black Flag, and that I waited for the next-gen version. Easily a 10/10 experience.
    If I were to nitpick, I didn't enjoy being pulled out of the game for the Animus sequences (even though they themselves were good) or the dated character models, but they very, VERY barely affected my enjoyment of a game I spent a good 70+ hours on.
  9. Nov 29, 2013
    This is a phenomenal game. Sub 9 user ratings are ridiculous. The game is easily a 9, but rated 10 to balance the idiotically low ratings some users have submitted.

The graphics are a great display of next gen potential, the story is entertaining and the single player is addictive and fantastic. A negative is how easily you can be stuck climbing a wall or tree unintentionally...
    Although, it's easy to climb when you do intend to trade off I guess.

I have not yet played multi player but it sounds great as well

Highly recommended
  10. Mar 21, 2014
    Fantastic game, have loved it from beginning to end. The combat both melee and ship is excellent, typical AC leaping, running and jumping.

Probably only a couple of criticism's which I will state up front don't detract from the overall game for me, the characters could be a little more fleshed out, maybe more involved throughout the game instead of just the occasional cut scene and your
    home town with all the upgrades just seemed to be a money pit instead of giving something back, didn't really add anything to the game, yes the templar armour set was there but nothing really necessary.

Ran great on the xbone so no complaints there, and the companion app worked well, i liked being able to manage my fleet with that while still playing missions.
  11. Jan 13, 2014
    It's been a while since I've played a game that kept bringing back like this one does. Such a great game, and beautiful to look at. Sometime I find myself starring. This is up there with some of my all-time favorite.
  12. Mar 7, 2014
    I enjoyed AC1 because of the great middle-eastern setting and fresh ideas. I tried to enjoy AC2, but found Ezio to be an unlikeable turd. Along came AC3 and away went another $60 I will never get back. Garbage, a real crap-fest. So, like a sucker for punishment I picked up AC4 for my xbox one. And I was pleasantly surprised. AC4 is a fantastic game. For me it has been the best in the series, by far, and an improvement in nearly every way. Don't hesitate to pick this one up. Expand
  13. Mar 31, 2014
    The first mission is cool, then you get stuck in Havana for a bit doing old style assassin's creed tasks. Don't let this stop you from playing the rest of the game. I almost pushed this one aside thinking it was a dud, but once you leave Havana and get the real pirate adventures going this game is nearly perfect in how fun it is and how much content there is to the game.
  14. Dec 5, 2013
    Must better than AC3!
    It's fun! it's beautiful! It's an open world! It's perfect for your Xbox One!
    Fun gameplay, cool story and amazing visual! So much going one in AC4 and you can't be bored!
  15. Dec 11, 2013
    Aside from Assassins Creed 2, this is by far one of the best one from the series. I have played all of them and I am really impreawed to see how deep and rich it has gotten. I love it!
  16. Mar 8, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is an outstanding game. So much to do, and a sense that everything needs to be completed kept me engrossed in the experience for many days. Multiplayer feels like it may need an update, but overall, this an awesome game.
  17. Jan 2, 2014
    Assassins Creed is a series that I have never really been fully committed to. I played the very first Assassins Creed game and liked it but did not play any other titles in the series until picking up Black Flag for the XBOX One.

On loading up the game I jumped straight in to the single player campaign mode and was thrown right in to the action. The first thing I noticed is the visuals
    are beautiful with very long draw distances and lots of detail (however you do get the feeling the XBOX One is capable of more, as we will see with future releases). The campaign mode is engrossing and there is just so much to do, I have put a good amount of hours in to the game and I am still completing side missions and generally exploring the game world. There is a lot of depth in Assassins Creed Black Flag and you never feel stuck for something to do.

The multiplayer mode was intriguing as I was not sure how it was going to work, it turns out there are traditional game modes such as capture the flag, holding territories etc, but is all has to be done using the art of stealth. The multiplayer is very deep with lots of upgrades to unlock and challenges to complete. The only real issue is there seems to be a lack of players currently.

I would definitely recommend Assassins Creed: Black Flag.
  18. Jan 4, 2014
    I tried to give this game a 9 but couldn't justify it. AC3 was a disappointment, after loving Brotherhood and Revelations never played the first 2 games). This game is simply engrossing. All the awesome open world from prior games with the overbearing RPG elements of AC3 taken back out. Still some great cinematics, though the story sometimes breaks down a bit as they try to incorporate an AC angle on real historical events.

Naval battles are awesome and taking the AC branding off the game and making Black Flag its own brand would have made for an amazing game...and truthfully that's the mindset I have when playing it. Some of the assassin skills and weapons from previous games add a nice depth to the fighting.

The companion app on my tablet really enhances the game experience as well, with the Fleet minigame being accessible from the app along with REAL TIME tracking your character on the map.

This game is an all-engrossing experience that I can't put down...and thanks to a great companion app, I never really have to.
  19. Jan 9, 2014
    I got so attached towards these characters, I fell in love with them. I cherish every second playing this game, and it completely immerses you in the brutal early 1700's of pirating.
  20. Jan 20, 2014
    Amazing open world game. Amazzing graphics, fun gameplay, and being a pirate a lot like jack sparrow is fun. Exploration, battles, ships, beautiful carribean waters, amazing sunsets and whales jumping. Onlines fun too, sneaking around multiplayer. Only missing online ship battles, bow that would be incredible.
  21. Mar 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. black flag is MAGNIFICENT! i cant think of a single flaw in this game. the graphics are AMAZING! the gameplay is FUN AND INTENSE! the missions are EXCITING! i cant think of a single time at ALLLL in ANY assassins creed game in which im bored. (!!!SPOILERALERT!!!) probably my favorite moment in ANY game AT ALL is when Edward is haythams father and connor is haythams son! i LOVE the ship customization, as it reminds me of pirates of the carribean! (i love the movie, also!) Expand
  22. Mar 21, 2014
    I've purchased 5 games for xbox one so far (Battlefield, Forza, Dead Rising, and NBA 2K14) and this is clearly the best of the bunch, but the controls are a bit awkward and some parts are too difficult.
  23. Apr 7, 2014
    It's not perfect, but i love this game. There are so many ways to play it. You can stick to the story and finish quickly or go off and do an number of other side activities depending on your mood. The naval combat is fantastic, I never get bored of it and feeding it into the iOS app means you can take it on the road when you are travelling.

If i have any negatives it is that there
    could be more assassination contracts and there could be more involving and complicated. With most you can sneak up and bang a berserk dart into the target and job done. More hitman style missions would be better. The AI is not that great all the time - in my view once a guard has seen you he shouldn't forget that you existed within a few minutes. But these are details. Expand
  24. May 8, 2014
    After the last Assassin's Creed game I properly played was Brotherhood and Only playing a small bit of number 3 because of how much it bored me, I was mainly buying this for the multiplayer after loving it on brotherhood, but after playing the singleplayer and being drawn in by it, I am in love with the game. The sailing which I thought I'd hate is surprisingly fun and the side quests are so much fun, I haven't played a good open world game on the Xbox one before this and I has took many hours from me, great game. Expand
  25. May 11, 2014
    General Impression: Assassin's Creed has found a rebound in IV: Black Flag. III, which I love for the setting alone (big revolutionary war period buff) but was let down by the changes and lack thereof in that game, found perhaps my second favorite setting (love pirates too!) to not disappoint at all! The controls are a bit "floaty" and cause Edward to do things I don't intend, but that is overcome by the return of fun tactical game play mix of stealth and action. The addition of sea combat is MUCH improved and is fun addition instead of the dull addition as it was in III. Overall its a fun game with a good story, great combat and fun action sequences. Graphics are very well done and makes good use of the XBO's power and really adds to the immersion.

Character Development: 10 - the development of Edward and the characters of the story are superb.

Story: 9.5 - Well written dialog and very period appropriate. The story flows well and makes you care about what happens. I found myself immersed and often having a hard time putting down the controller. The story is also long enough with tons of side activities to keep you busy for HOURS on end. The mix of urban and open area works well in this game unlike in 3 where it really struggled with open areas.

Voice Acting: 10 - Fantastic cast that really delivers solid performances with convincing inflections, personality and excellent animation on the deliveries.

Combat: 10 - Combat shines as usual with many ways to complete missions and stylistic choices that flow easily.

Game play systems: 9.5 - There is not a lot of innovation here but that is not a bad thing. The addition of pistols is interesting and adds another level of tactical game play. Black Flag continues to deliver that original solid game play with not extensive but well done additions (sea ship to ship battles and pistols). The pacing of the game is spot on with frenetic and tense action that can be calmed by escaping in order to bring down the tempo and return to more stealth based play. The only issue here is the "floaty" quality of the controls that are overly imprecise at times and can cause some unintended actions on Edward's part. A better balance needs to be found between responsiveness and control.

Crafting:Not applicable. Upgrades are all earned or found or purchased.

Customization: Like all AC games there is no customization available beyond choosing weapons and tools that fit your chosen play style preferences.

Sound: 10 - As usual sound really matter in AC and this continues in this game with very well developed sound and great distance to volume recognition.

Soundtrack: 10 - Well developed and very period appropriate. Pirate shanties are well done and the music is well placed and aid the pacing of the game.

Overall score: 9.5 - A tight and well crafted open world game with TONS of continual play value and replay if you want to live out the captivating story again. My only ding on this and all AC games is the floaty controls that can cause Edward to do unintended actions - but is necessary to make the game responsive. If a better balance could be created for the controller it would be a 10 but as it is its a VERY SOLID 9.5 for an open world stealth/action game and a great launch title for the XBO - by far the best to date available to the XBO.
  26. May 28, 2014
    This game was a wonderful recovery for the Assassin franchise, with an interesting main story as well as a nice twist on the Abstergo narrative. The mechanics of the game are well suited to showcase the ocean battles and hand-to-hand combat. Multiplayer still feels like it could use a nice buffing, maybe an in game option to either work for or against the main character. Still all together it was a fun game with hours of play time and exploration. Expand
  27. Jul 13, 2014
    Easily the best game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. After the low that was Assassin's Creed 3, I think most fans can agree that we were worried about the next AC being a disappointment, as well.

Connor was probably the most disliked AC character to date, with his monotone, mediocre voice-acting and overall dull "must do right" character.

Edward Kenway, on the other hand, brings a
    much lighter tone to the franchise, akin to Jack Sparrow.

The story is great. The combat, crafting, free-running and everything else has all been revamped. I bought this game the day it came out and it has quickly become my favorite Assassin's Creed.
  28. Dec 17, 2013
    Assassin's Creed IV is a very good game because even if you're not a fan of the series, you will enjoy every adventure with Edward Kenway. This story is set in the golden age of piracy which is a very enjoyable experience. So, concluding, I must admit that this game is my favorite in all the Assassin's Creed saga, and it's weird but this one is my favorite because there is not a lot of content about the assassins creed, because the saga needed something like this, and this was caused because of Assassin's Creed 3 and its horrible and quickly final. Expand
  29. Dec 21, 2013
    It is a great action game however minor bugs ruined part of my gameplay such as the spawn of Oz, which always appears in the same place after you leave the site, the explorations are cool but the enemies is stupid and don't attack you in double time but the game is cool
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Apr 20, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is the best Assassin's Creed experience in terms of scale, freedom and gameplay. Between land and sea, the journey of Edward Kenway is really captivating.
  2. Dec 15, 2013
    I've played all of the major titles released with the Xbox One, and the one that I've had the most fun with, the one that I keep going back to, is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. If you get only one game with your shiny new Xbox One console, make it this one.
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    Beyond the underwhelming main campaign, Black Flag delivers a world brimming with gorgeous places to go, amazing secrets to discover, and nefarious pirates to stab.