7.6

1. May 2, 2014
    If you are a fan of classic old school RPG going back 15+ years or so you owe it to yourself to not miss this game. Fantastic visuals, sound and game play, especially the combat! The game is near pure perfection and totally addictive. Huge skill trees, multiple characters to fortify your party as well as gem crafting to improve your weapons, I simply can't say enough and all for $15 bones!!
  2. Apr 30, 2014
    I Gonna be honest, i wish there were more unique games like this,ubi-soft has done awsome job..i just started this game this morning and it gives me that good feeling i used to get when i played super mario 2 and 3 for the first time on nintendo..wow factor a 10..BUY THIS GAME GUYS its worth more than the price what a deal...AWSOME...and looks awsome on XBOXONE...GREAT JOB UBI-SOFT
  3. Apr 30, 2014
    This is easily the highest quality indie game I've ever played, plus it's super cheap. As the reviews have said, the graphics are breath-taking, and it's quality as an RPG is hard to match. Overall just a really great game.
  4. May 2, 2014
    A story that will appeal to everyone, a very well balanced game play and magnificent artwork and music.

Child of Light truly is a Masterpiece!

Thanks Ubisoft!
  5. Apr 30, 2014
    Wow here is a shining example of a game done right. Everything about this game from the story to the combat is simply a masterpiece. Let me start of by the saying the whole game has been hand drawn using the rayman engine which to me for a 10 pound game (UK currency) is simply fantastic. The amount of detail and craftsmanship that has been poured into this game is fa-nominal. The story isWow here is a shining example of a game done right. Everything about this game from the story to the combat is simply a masterpiece. Let me start of by the saying the whole game has been hand drawn using the rayman engine which to me for a 10 pound game (UK currency) is simply fantastic. The amount of detail and craftsmanship that has been poured into this game is fa-nominal. The story is again scripted and planned out by absolute geniuses. The whole game and story is told with poetry though this may not appeal to everyone it still tells the story beautifully in my opinion. The game play is unique and fresh setting it apart from many other turn based strategy games. Overall the game is a masterpiece and I recommend it to be played by anyone and especially rpg fans. For 10 pounds this is a steal and is well worth the price. For anyone that has any doubts about buying this game please do its one that cant and shouldn't be missed! (My Opinion on the game, other peoples opinions may vary. Expand
  6. Apr 30, 2014
    Great game really. Impressive graphics and sound. Nice combat system. Very original game with nice storyline. Presents everything so nicely this game really makes you smile and calms you down, without being abusive of sexuality or violence.

By the way for those who think this is an indie, it's not it's made by Ubisoft, who clearly have decided and correctly to my opinion to price their games reasonably. This has the standard gameplay of 12+hours most PS4 titles have at a fraction of the price (take MGS for example with a quarter of the gameplay). The Graphics engine was created for Rayman, so they price this very reasonably considering they use the same engine, instead of selling rinse and repeat products for an arm and a leg. Every signle title this company has ever produced is at the least respectable. I will continue buying their products. I don't want to spend £55 to play a bad game for 12 hours.

I hope more studios follow this road. Current prices on new games do not reflect the amount of effort put into them, with shallow storylines, bad voice acting, buggy gameplay mechanics. Only the graphics are at a good level in most games you are called to pay £55 for. I don't care for graphics that much to be honest. I enjoy old NES/SNES games the same as good more modern titles like Mass effect or Far Cry.

Thumbs up for Ubisoft both for this and Rayman Legends which is also very affordable and up to now the most awesome game in next-gen consoles. They always put a lot of effort into their games and seem to care about satisfying the game community, apart from helping them part with their hard-earned money.
  7. Apr 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, this game really awesome .. great sound track, great graphics, fantastic game play... Just wow!!
    If you love classic RPG games you will enjoy with it. .
  8. May 17, 2014
    Child of Light is one of the things that looks but are great. I cannot remember when I played such a good "Indie"-game. Of course there is no 3D-graphic but the game brings brilliant scenes in 2D to you - all carefully rich painted. The music in the background makes the atmosphere very good. The prettiest thing I must say is that everything is spoken/written like a poem. Maybe you couldChild of Light is one of the things that looks but are great. I cannot remember when I played such a good "Indie"-game. Of course there is no 3D-graphic but the game brings brilliant scenes in 2D to you - all carefully rich painted. The music in the background makes the atmosphere very good. The prettiest thing I must say is that everything is spoken/written like a poem. Maybe you could say it's not good to have no narrator but I think it's the best decision the made - because of this you will be one with the game in your mind. I enjoyed it very much. Expand
  9. Apr 30, 2014
    Best game for now on JRPG this year on consoles. I really love this game great music. The price seems some what right. The graphics visually is superb especially the combat. This game clearly sucks you in.
  10. Aug 10, 2014
    This game is by far my favorite indy game this year. It has amazing graphics, great controls that are very simple and easy to learn, and it has just enough rpg elements to make the platforming seem less tedious. The battle system works very well and after many hours of playtime I have not once gotten frustrated or battled a boss that felt unfair or cheap. I think some of the story's rhymesThis game is by far my favorite indy game this year. It has amazing graphics, great controls that are very simple and easy to learn, and it has just enough rpg elements to make the platforming seem less tedious. The battle system works very well and after many hours of playtime I have not once gotten frustrated or battled a boss that felt unfair or cheap. I think some of the story's rhymes are ludicrous but that doesn't detract from the fun. It doesn't matter which console you play on, definitely get this game. Its better than most full-retail games on the market today. I gave it a 9 because of the horrible poetry in the text, and also because a few of the puzzles seem difficult for the sake of being difficult. Great game. Expand
  11. Jul 7, 2014
    I was really surprised at how much I liked this game. The animation was wonderful, and the music was beautiful. In fact, I purchased the sound track. I was transported to another world in this game and, unlike with so many other games, am perfectly happy with the purchase price. You get a lot for $15. The combat is simple, yet if you master it, rewarding. The downsides are the last levelI was really surprised at how much I liked this game. The animation was wonderful, and the music was beautiful. In fact, I purchased the sound track. I was transported to another world in this game and, unlike with so many other games, am perfectly happy with the purchase price. You get a lot for $15. The combat is simple, yet if you master it, rewarding. The downsides are the last level or so seem to drag on, and the crafting is confusing at first. Other then that, I would recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  12. Apr 7, 2015
    Without a doubt the most enjoyable game I've played on the Xbox One to date. It may be an indie game, but it delivers in a big way. The combat mechanic is truly amazing and offers a real strategic challenge. Since it is the free game of the month for Xbox Live Gold members you have to download it. Had I paid $30-$40 for this game I would have been satisfied. It's a gem. Get it.
  13. May 25, 2014
    Child of Light is beautiful. The story is unique and is the complete opposite of what we've come to expect. The art style is beautiful. The combat system mixes real time and turn based well. The only annoying part is that every character rhymes.
  14. May 26, 2014
    This JRPG is perfect for a JRPG novice such as myself. As someone who can only really remember playing final fantasy, and eternal sonata in detail, I definitely can only play this genre when the combat system keeps things interesting and the art style keeps they eye from wandering. To me the combat system in CoL is perfect. Its not to complicated, but the variety of ways you can approachThis JRPG is perfect for a JRPG novice such as myself. As someone who can only really remember playing final fantasy, and eternal sonata in detail, I definitely can only play this genre when the combat system keeps things interesting and the art style keeps they eye from wandering. To me the combat system in CoL is perfect. Its not to complicated, but the variety of ways you can approach each fight is staggering, and the active timeline keeps you engaged during the entire battle. The story is very solid and the iambic pentameter writing style doesn't take away from the impact of the tale being told. In the end this game is one we all can enjoy, I think JRPG fanatics are going to have a blast, and those of us who haven't played one in a while can get a nice refreshing dose of nostalgia. Expand
  15. May 2, 2014
    This game is truly a gem on Xbox One. The music is haunting and captivating, the graphics/art design/story transport me back to my childhood, and the gameplay is outstanding. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is that although I do like the rhyming that the characters use, I don't really think they needed it for every piece of dialogue. If you like RPGS, or if you just like a greatThis game is truly a gem on Xbox One. The music is haunting and captivating, the graphics/art design/story transport me back to my childhood, and the gameplay is outstanding. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is that although I do like the rhyming that the characters use, I don't really think they needed it for every piece of dialogue. If you like RPGS, or if you just like a great story that will stick with you, I highly recommend you download right now! Expand
  16. Jun 3, 2014
    Lovable (albeit childish) Characters, Heartwarming and dramatic story, Smart Turn-Based game play, and a Beautifully handcrafted (at least that what it looks like) world that rewards you for exploring make this one of THE best games to get for xbox one. and for 15 dollars, this game is a great buy! Highly Recommended.
  17. Jan 8, 2015
    A beautiful beautfiul game, and the story is nice and relaxing, I do however find myself lost at times where to go and I find the combat scenarios a tad repetitive but that's my only minor criticism
  18. May 15, 2015
    A nearly tear-jerking experience, filled with a somber mood and an old-school battle system with a neat little tweak to tried-and-true mechanics. The game is a bit short, but was surprisingly fulfilling for days I spent playing it and finding every little detail that I could. Aside from the story, the main attraction IS the battle system, which brings a unique timing to its function thatA nearly tear-jerking experience, filled with a somber mood and an old-school battle system with a neat little tweak to tried-and-true mechanics. The game is a bit short, but was surprisingly fulfilling for days I spent playing it and finding every little detail that I could. Aside from the story, the main attraction IS the battle system, which brings a unique timing to its function that keeps it from being simply a "turn based" RPG actioner. The game is fun, the rhyming, child-like dialogue is sweet in nature, and the game was just a pleasure to play. Worth the money. Expand
  19. Sep 12, 2014
    This wonderful RPG counts with simple graphics and animations, short poetry, light music and a timeline-based battle system drags you into a beautiful, clean and innocent-ish scenario and are guaranteed to deliver a deep, pleasant experience.
  20. Nov 20, 2014
    Not many good games for the XboxOne, but this is one of them. If you like RPGs, you'll probably like this. Great graphics and music and the gameplay is fun.
  21. May 10, 2015
    This game is absolutely beautiful, the visuals, the music, the gameplay... Ubisoft really paid attention to details on this one.

It's a turn-based RPG that offers around 15 hours of gameplay, and that means battles will be repetitive. Fortunately, Child of Light provides a large set of different enemies (with their weaknesses and strengths) and a fair number of party members, which help avoid boredom to some extent, particularly if you have someone around who can join in to control Igniculous.

The combat mechanics are turn-based at their best, with many things to choose from during the planning phase: you can flee, use potions, revive a teammate, act, change party members, and a couple more things I don't remember.

The environment and the story go well together, though the latter could be more solid. It's not until well in the second part of the game that events start to unfold; the first part is just "I have to go there...." But again, everything flows so smoothly, that you feel almost compel to carry on.

Regarding puzzles, there aren't many, probably 10, and most of them are pretty similar and not challenging.

After finishing the story you return to the game to complete any pending side missions that you'd like. Unfortunately, there's no way (to my knowledge) of selecting a mission as the active mission to get some hints and information in the map. So, unless you remember what was it about, you'll have to Google it.

Besides potions, you can scavenge for gems, which you can combine to create more powerful ones, and equip to boost your stats. This is also something that could be better. There are 6 or 7 different classes of gems, but you can only mix 3 of them.

The skill system is a bit messy, too. The skill tree is shaped like a maze, so you don't have a clear idea of your progress. Also, you can't improve a particular skill more than the others because the perks are chained together and you have to unlock them in sequence.

I thank Microsoft for including this great game in the Gold lineup.

1. Oct 22, 2014
    The world needs more games like this.
    And as a whimsical, sweet-natured tale of a princess who learns she must earn her right to return home, it's a warm-hearted departure we found difficult not to embrace. [July 2014, p.68]
  3. May 12, 2014
    If you have a small interest in role-playing games, Child of Light comes highly recommended.