6.7

1. Nov 22, 2013
    If you played any of its predecessors, then you already know what to expect; lots of zombies, crazy weapons, and a lot of fun. However, just like its predecessors, slaying thousands of zombies get tiresome after a few hours. Furthermore, there is not much replay value outside of co-op, arguably its best feature. Unfortunately, even co-op won't keep you playing for that much longer.If you played any of its predecessors, then you already know what to expect; lots of zombies, crazy weapons, and a lot of fun. However, just like its predecessors, slaying thousands of zombies get tiresome after a few hours. Furthermore, there is not much replay value outside of co-op, arguably its best feature. Unfortunately, even co-op won't keep you playing for that much longer.

In terms of gameplay, its your basic third person action hack 'n slash with a fairly robust crafting/upgrade system. Executions show a lot of detail and are quite entertaining, however you will be experiencing deja vu rather quickly when you consider how many zombies you will be killing. The game also boasts 300+ weapons, but only a handful of "ultimate" fully upgraded weapons exist; its these weapons that you will ultimately be using over and over again. Vehicle crafting is a nice touch, but it fairly limited. Still, running down a large mob with a car will likely bring a bit of joy the first few times you do it.

In terms of performance, the only thing next gen about this game is the shear number of zombies on screen. They did a great job on the number count, the variety of character models, and of course the models of the zombie "innards". Unfortunately, the fact that this game started on Xbox 360 shows, with poor textures and a stumbling 20 fps. In my opinion, Dead Rising 2 had more than enough zombies and they didn't need to sacrifice frame rate for three times the zombie as twice as many zombies would have probably been enough.

In the end, if you like third person action games, love the idea of slaying thousands of zombie in unique ways, then I say give it shot. While it may not represent what next gen is capable of, it kept me entertained through most of the night (about 8 hours before I was bored of it). I'd say that's reasonable as many AAA only last about 8-12 hours these days to begin with (though DR3 could keep you busy longer than that).
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    Huge open world, and a lot of zombies on your screen! The gameplay is the same as the previous Dead Rising games, but that was expected. The map is a bit smaller than I thought. There is an enormous variety of weapon you can build to slaughter the zombies...
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    I find it funny how if you click on the name of someone who scored this game a 0 you can see how they gave every Xbone game a 0 and there beloved PS4 games a 10....
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    Before I start my review I have to laugh at how many fanboys from Sony Come on here posting reviews I have a game system they don't even have lol like xclusiveitalian Who uses two pages just the criticize the game. Btw hes also Nintengod. Metacritic you might want to look into that one.
    With that being said I have to say I really enjoyed playing Dead Rising! This in open world zombie game that is huge!! I'm trying to play all games that I bought last night but this one Is the one that I'm going to play repeatedly! Like I said in my other if you I'm not really a racing fan But I am a dead risin fanatic! Flashing through hundreds of Zombies trying to survive is one of my favorite parts of this game! And you get to be be Mega Man tat's all I have to say! It's the open-world blood bath and you'll love it!
  5. Nov 24, 2013
    Killing zombies is fun, as always.
    + There are A LOT of different weapons.

- DR3 doesn't feel next-gen, because graphics don't look cool and the game runs at 30fps.
    - Frame rate drops (the game went down to 14fps once)
    - After a few hours you will get bored, killing zombies randomly without a reason is not fun
  6. Apr 7, 2014
    I purchased Dead Rising with my Day One Xbox One and I have to say it's a good game but man does it get boring quick!

The story and characters and forgettable, the graphics for a powerful console are not good, I know there are loads of Zombies on screen but this is where the biggest problem with DR3 is. To show the power of the Xbox One, the streets are filled with thousands of

To show the power of the Xbox One, the streets are filled with thousands of Zombies, but this means getting from one point to another is a chore. It's great fun at first, mowing Zombies down and getting your kill count up, but it really starts to give you that feeling of " Oh no, not more Zombies". If you want to find out why the story takes a back seat to killing Zombies, take a look at the achievements list.

The original Dead Rising was fun, but DR3 has been destroyed by the notion of quantity over quality.
  7. Jan 27, 2014
    I started it, it looks nice, but somehow it could not motivate me to play it more than the first hour. Maybe its because I hoped for something more intriguing, especially after playing The Last of Us on PS3, and I know that those to games should no be compared in any way, but Dead Rising did not get me interested.
  8. Dec 18, 2013
    A really fun game, with some of the frustrations of the old Dead Rising corrected, and a staggering number of Zombies on-screen. It's story is still by-the-numbers, but most of the characters have enough personality to make you care a little bit at least about saving them.
  9. Dec 24, 2013
    Dead Rising 3 is the best Dead Rising yet. It finally gives gamers the open world zombie apocalypse game they've been wanting to play. I came into Dead Rising 3 thinking It was going to be a mediocre experience, but to my surprise I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I was expecting to. This is a game that is a lot more fun to play than to watch someone else play. SmashingDead Rising 3 is the best Dead Rising yet. It finally gives gamers the open world zombie apocalypse game they've been wanting to play. I came into Dead Rising 3 thinking It was going to be a mediocre experience, but to my surprise I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I was expecting to. This is a game that is a lot more fun to play than to watch someone else play. Smashing zombies with the endless amount of weapons never seems to get old in contrast to watching someone else repeatedly bash them. I'm proud to say this is a great Xbox One launch title. In trailers leading up to the game, the graphics looked pretty mediocre and the videos weren't doing them justice, but I have to say playing the game was a totally different experience. They really polished up the graphics before the release of the game. I'm very impressed. The game is a great solid 'next gen' game. The graphics are a big leap in nice crisp resolution and the absence of loading screens in between gameplay segments immerses you into the experience like never before. I'm in continual awe of the amount of detail the game is able to convey on screen at one time. You really feel you are amidst of a real zombie apocalypse. Also, in the trailers, the zombies looked very harmless and not really a threat. But just wait until it turns night time! The cutscenes are also top notch with the characters being very life like and full of emotion. The game like others in the series features tongue in cheek, corny dialogue and characters, but they really nailed it this time. It fits the game perfectly. It helps ease the tension of constantly being surrounded by zombies. Initially the controls feel a bit sluggish, but eventually you get used to them and they aren't game breaking. There is so much in this game, its hard to comment on everything. But most of the things they did right. The only thing that really started to bug me was the constant need of having to check the map to find one little item or blueprint. Overall, I really enjoyed Dead Rising 3. It's one of the most mature brutal games to have ever come out. I hope Microsoft keeps pumping out more mature titles. Expand
  10. May 10, 2014
    Its a marginal game.

Graphics: Decent graphics with occasionally inconsistent rendering quality - 8 Game play: Its fun enough and the zombie slaughter never ends - 7 Sound: The sound has some real issues with very poor distance to volume. - 5 Exploration: Big maps to explore and lots of stuff to find - 8 Replayability: not a lot to recommend as replay value - 4 Story: Practically
    Its a marginal game.

Graphics: Decent graphics with occasionally inconsistent rendering quality - 8
    Game play: Its fun enough and the zombie slaughter never ends - 7
    Sound: The sound has some real issues with very poor distance to volume. - 5
    Exploration: Big maps to explore and lots of stuff to find - 8
    Replayability: not a lot to recommend as replay value - 4
    Story: Practically none existent and very shallow - 4
    Combat: Its a button masher for sure, but not in bad way - its serviceable - 6
    Crafting: Lots of crafting and there are wild things you can construct from vehicles to weapons - 8
    Soundtrack: Decent - 7

Overall a solid 7
  11. Jun 7, 2014
    This is the first Dead Rising game I've played and I have enjoyed it but there are a few things to note before someone makes a decision to purchase this game. When I searched Googled DR3 what I was looking for was someone saying the game had no time limit. What I found was a mixed set of responses stating that there wasn't a time limit if you selected a certain story mode option and othersThis is the first Dead Rising game I've played and I have enjoyed it but there are a few things to note before someone makes a decision to purchase this game. When I searched Googled DR3 what I was looking for was someone saying the game had no time limit. What I found was a mixed set of responses stating that there wasn't a time limit if you selected a certain story mode option and others say that there is a time limit it's just more than 3 days.

So I purchased the game and discovered that there IS a time limit and it is more than 3 days. I have been unsuccessful in finding any way to remove the time limit. Although the time limit that is given is more than enough to complete the game and side missions so the time limit isn't a huge bust but it is a negative factor.

When I discovered you can recruit survivors and give them weapons I became excited and made it a personal goal to recruit several survivors. I don't feel that the AI for the survivors was very well thought out, sometimes they'll shoot zombies at a fairly decent distance and other times they won't. One thing I did notice is they never run out of ammo. I handed 5 survivors assault rifles and LMG's and I never had to swing my weapon. While it would be troublesome to constantly have to worry about your survivors, it takes from the realism of a survival game if you have unlimited ammo. I was able to walk through several crowds of zombies without ever being in danger as my team decimated any opposition.

The story line isn't all that interesting. It seems to be that almost all zombie games and movies always show the government killing the innocent and they're going to bomb the area and you have to get out before it's too late. Developers need a new approach to getting out alive in the game, we already have a zombie apocalypse on our hands why add the government trying to kill everyone to it?

Let's talk about the soldiers that we have to fight, the AI specifically. I've seen several shows and movies that involve SWAT, government agents, soldiers, etc and yet I can't recall when they ran toward the enemy in the open while being shot at. I had a set of soldiers hide behind a car from me and I was hiding on the same side of that same car.

The endurance of weapons seems to be on topic in other posts and it should be. Swords break from killing zombies? This doesn't make sense at all. Bladed weapons shouldn't be breaking after a handful of swings against zombies or breaking at all for that matter.

Safe houses. Getting to a safe house can be quite the nightmare if you don't know what you're looking for. When I first started playing I didn't know about safe houses or clearing them out. I read on the map that this location was an "Infested Safe House" and I knew what needed to be done but I circled this location for about an hour without any luck. There wasn't a way to set a way point pointing to the exact location, I didn't know about the little symbol that somewhat explains which way you need to go. All I saw was a symbol on the map and I was standing there constantly fighting zombies. I had to Google the location of the safe house only to find that it was above me. Not the most intuitive map.

The number of zombies in the game. The quantity is never a problem in this game the problem is that you can NEVER clear an area permanently. I understand that if you cleared the whole city you wouldn't have much left to fight but in the interest of realism, once you clear a massive area of zombies it should stay cleared. If the survivor's didn't have unlimited ammo then clearing the city would be an extremely difficult task. I've cleared an area only to find myself run in a huge circle and those same zombies are back.

Combining weapons. Weapon combinations tend to be neat but in most cases it's purely fictitious. While there's generally nothing wrong with stretching the laws of realism in a game to add to the experience, some of the weapons you can create can be completely useless and may make you chuckle a little bit but that's as far as it goes. The point behind this is the developers could have spent that time working on the AI of the enemies/survivors but instead they chose to create a weapon that shoots "Massager's".

One bug I've run into which worked in my favor but a bug is a bug nonetheless. One of my survivors died shortly after I saved him and when I went to the safe house after saving another survivor, I took her out of my posse, put her back in my posse, exited the menu, saved, went back into the survivor list and the survivor that was killed was now available in my list and I have been using him.

Overall. DR3 isn't a terrible game. It does have a time limit but it's longer than previous DR games. The map isn't very intuitive in most cases. The AI of the soldiers/survivors is rather weak. The story line of the game isn't innovative or new at all. Weapons break too quickly and some weapons that shouldn't break do. Survivors have unlimited ammo.
  12. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game starts out well and boasts a great number of on screen zombies, but this is the main problem I have with the game. You cannot physically move from one place to another easily and cars last about 5 minutes. The side missions are boring as they make you go hunt for items and overall I just feel there is no motivation in this game. I was more frustrated than entertained. If you are a fan of the genre that's fine I'm not looking to start any discussions here. I overall felt the gameplay was laggy, had poor control response, repetitive, and unimaginative. Awesome amount of on screen zombie generation but that's about all your getting. I finished this one and got rid of it. DLC was not interesting either.

A plus is the psychopaths in the game. This was the funniest part. The boss battle against the crane is beyond silly, the loaders in the factory are annoying and the spec ops guys are beyond tough to kill. This game was a good time killer at best.
  13. Mar 16, 2014
    Although I haven't finished playing the game yet, it is an incredibly fun game to have! The variety of weapons is immense and the huge open world with insane amounts of zombies makes it easy to find something to throw things at! Hasn't yet got boring and I can see myself playing this game right through to the end and also afterwards!

One downside being that it seems to glitch here and

One downside being that it seems to glitch here and there, but nothing that bothers me too much!
  14. Dec 2, 2013
    Not sure why this gets low ratings. Forget the frame rate and resolution..
    new generation should have epic graphics....OR maybe it should allow something the last Gen couldn't...in this case, hundreds of zombies on screen at a time.
    to sum it up, large sandbox with lots of exploring, good story, fun and funny side missions and no load times. I love this game, would gave 10 if I
    Not sure why this gets low ratings. Forget the frame rate and resolution..

I love this game, would gave 10 if I thought it had more replay ability. This is definitely my favorite game in One and it is very solid for a launch.
  15. Dec 8, 2013
    Amazing game. Personally, I am a huge zombie fan, and this satisfied my desires of a simulated zombie apocalypse. Sometimes, the crazy amount of zombies gets annoying because they simply re-spawn once you walk far enough (even if you clear the premises). Open world with majority of places available to explore.
  16. Dec 13, 2013
    The best dead rising of all. It's more funny than both previous ones and the save system is better. The countdown is not so stressful. The best game in Xbox One in this moment.
  17. Sep 4, 2014
    Got this on Day One, was disapointed as soon as it launched, graphics are notihng special, gameplay is boring and repetitive, and doesnt run that smooth, and the most annoying thing is its fun for about 15 minutes.
  18. Jan 18, 2015
    In this game bored is not an option. There is always something fun to do in this intense, fearful, and action packed game. The graphics are amazing. fun action moves, cartable weapons, whats not to like?
  19. Nov 27, 2014
    Dead Rising has always been an interesting series to me and the 3rd installment doesn't change that. It may not run at 60fps but it runs rather smooth at 30fps and the only reason its set to 30, is that there is a ton of zombies on screen at once. The game-play is fun, especially with a friend, and feels a lot smoother than the previous DR games. The only problem I have with the game isDead Rising has always been an interesting series to me and the 3rd installment doesn't change that. It may not run at 60fps but it runs rather smooth at 30fps and the only reason its set to 30, is that there is a ton of zombies on screen at once. The game-play is fun, especially with a friend, and feels a lot smoother than the previous DR games. The only problem I have with the game is the difficulty. It's rather easy, even in Nightmare Mode. Then again once you hit lvl50 you're practically invincible and vehicles make getting around trivial. The story is pretty good, if you've liked the previous games stories. It's a bit cliche, but adds that Dead Rising charm that kicks it up a notch. You'll meet new and familiar characters that you will wish there was more of. The story this go around actually has some answers to what the first two games set up, involving zombies and conspiracies. The World itself is fun to explore, is bigger, and actually open world (meaning no loading each zone every 2 minutes). I wouldn't say that DR3 is worth getting an xbone (especially since its on pc now), but if you own one or have a pc that can run it, it is worth getting, and even better if a friend has it too. Expand
  20. Dec 31, 2014
    Dead Rising 3 is the game I would want to play if given the idea of killing zombies. Almost no other game or game series exists or acts in the way this series does. It is also riddled with many of the flaws of any zombie game. That flaw being the simplification of the gameplay. In a sense any zombie game is basically stupid. What I do like about this game is that it helps you achieve theDead Rising 3 is the game I would want to play if given the idea of killing zombies. Almost no other game or game series exists or acts in the way this series does. It is also riddled with many of the flaws of any zombie game. That flaw being the simplification of the gameplay. In a sense any zombie game is basically stupid. What I do like about this game is that it helps you achieve the simple satisfaction of killing those damn zombies. While it should offer more choices, like a good RPG, it still gives you options for that simple task of blowing the brains off zombies. That makes this game, and more than that, this series, good. But, for the flaws, there must always be those. For me, it's the lag. But also, it's the fetch quests. One can make a unique game and destroy these simplistic rituals. But, this game does not set out to do that. We hold high standards for the games and companies we respect, but just the same, this series is looking to grow. Grow in fanbase, but also grow in their general gameplay. They are doing that with this game. I know I am biased, I do love the simple, stupid gameplay of a zombie hack'n'slash, but at the very least this game acknowledges those desires and builds from them. This game, despite its obvious flaws, still delivers on its promises of stupid, simple zombie slaying. It tries more for story this time around, but while it might not tell a unique story, and still, the story of this game is still trite, it does offer fans of this type of gameplay a new way of seeing this sort of story. That being said, gameplay is the tasting of the pudding, and I very much enjoy the flavors offered by this attempt. Expand
  21. Dec 9, 2013
    Taking it for what it is, a zombie kill-a-thon, it is a tremendous amount of fun. The sheer amount zombies you can encounter is like nothing I have seen before, and feeling them encirling you does add to the excitement. I havent played any of the previous versions, but would recommend this game to anyone who has a xbox one.
  22. Nov 23, 2013
    How sad is it that people ave taken the time out there day to create an account, and give 0s to games that are not on their console of choice.

Regardless, Dead Rising 3 is the most fun I have had on my new console, it may have a slightly more serious look, but don't be fooled, it just as wacky as it's ever been. The game has been improved in nearly every aspect over the previous game, from graphics to gameplay, and the amount of zombies on screen is insane, after just 30 mins play I was already on 1200 kills. The story is decent as well, solid acting, with a plot that held my attention for the full 20 hours are had with the game. The coop has been greatly improved also, no longer do you have to replay story if you already done it in someone else's coop game, and killing zombies is always more fun with a friend. However there was one issue I noticed, when I was playing single player my friend invited me to his game, and it just pulled me out my game without asking me, I'm' not sure if it's a bug, or something I've missed in the menus, regardless, it was an annoyance.

If you liked the other Dead Risings you will probably love this, and even if you didn't, you still might want to give this game a go.
  23. Nov 27, 2013
    Ignore the low scored that talk about frame rate drops. These people haven't played the game. After the day one patch the frame rate is solid. If there's even the merest frame skip, it's well hidden with motion blur.

Dead Rising doesn't slow down even when you're ploughing through hundreds of zombies at high speed, explosions going off left and right (feels very next-gen there). The Eurogamer DF analysis was done on a pre-release build that no one who has an internet connection got to play, so is about as misleading as it gets.

This is the best Dead Rising, all-round, and the most approachable.
  24. Nov 26, 2013
    I came into DR3 with mixed feelings about the series. I enjoy zombie media and the first two titles were fun, but I disliked aspects to the design that included saving was a chore and I always felt restricted from what I enjoyed the most, taking out zombies.

My surprise DR3 is just what I wanted. More zombies on the screen than I can count and it feels like at times you have to run for your life because the numbers are overwhelming. Just the feeling I would expect during a zombie apocalypse. Reading some of the negative reviews with questionable negatives. I have played 30 hours and maybe only a couple times had a dip in framerate. It played smooth with hundreds of zombies on screen. I am left surprised how smooth and nice the game looks. The graphics are a step up from last generation, but nothing that will blow your socks off, and that is ok. Graphics are a huge plus, but Fun Factor is numero uno in my book.

The game has a mode where you can save anywhere and just enjoy the fun and crazy it has to offer. You can level up and continue to play what is like a new game+ and in survive mode which limits your saves to bathrooms like the prior iterations. The addition of vehicles and creation is a huge plus. The combining of items on the spot is important and keeps you from having to hunt down a spot to create weapons, which keeps you actively hacking zombies! The story is nothing to different from prior titles and the main character is ok and it kept me engaged.

The main problems of prior DR games were improved in this round and I recommend it.

Graphics: 8-10 Improved from prior titles but doesn't blow your socks off. Very good though!

Sound- 8- Everything from the moan of zombies to the cars sounds great and really no complaints here.

Controls- Controls very well the the trigger vibration during driving is a neat addition. The only complaint is the mapping/life items. It is too easy to drop a weapon during a fight just to get more life. Life items should be mapped to a different button/layout.

FUN factor- 10! I enjoyed the other Dead Rising games, but something was always a little off for me, but this time around it is a BLAST.

Side note: Reviews that have have a very low score are questionable because the game is not broken and plays perfectly. Games rated that low are broken mess. Gamers that have agendas go to ratings for what cause, only they know.
  25. Nov 24, 2013
    I had pre-ordered this game only because I've read that the TIME LIMIT would be removed. I was deeply disappointed to see that it hasn't been removed but just tune down. To me, having this open world game with tons of collectibles, side content, challenges, etc, with a time limit is just an aberration. It's like saying to the player; yes you can do all this fun stuff, but don't do it orI had pre-ordered this game only because I've read that the TIME LIMIT would be removed. I was deeply disappointed to see that it hasn't been removed but just tune down. To me, having this open world game with tons of collectibles, side content, challenges, etc, with a time limit is just an aberration. It's like saying to the player; yes you can do all this fun stuff, but don't do it or you're game over. Otherwise this is a good game, with bad design decision. Next time I'll pass. Expand
  26. Dec 3, 2013
    With a huge open world full of interesting things to explore, a great collection of weapons and tons of zombies, its a true next gen game. The co-op mode is extremely interesting. The KILL COUNTER on the top left indicating total zombie kills is a good addition. Though the fps drops sometimes, its a worthy game to give time.
  27. Nov 22, 2013
    Check Xclusiveitalian 's review history, posting 10/10's for PS4 games, but 0's on all Xbox games, Metacritic serves no purpose if not moderated. Same for user MGdawg and Nintengod is hyping Nintendo scores & posting 0's on Xbox One games. I wish all of these fanboys get banned, so Metacritic can be useful again to decide for a game/product.
  28. Nov 24, 2013
    Anyone who says the graphics are bad doesn't know what a polygon count is and is simply uneducated on video game CG. you would have to be overwhelmingly ignorant to think that. graphics are awesome considering the massive scope of the game, seeing hundreds of zombies at once.
  29. Nov 24, 2013
    With it's great weapons crafting system and great sense of humour, Dead Rising 3 is definitely worthy of a launch title. But the inconsistent framerate and storyline can be a pain in the sometimes. Worth the 500 for Xbox One if you ask me.
  30. kad
    Nov 24, 2013
    Amazing and just pure fun to play! Open world, many many zombies and its not only fun to play, but also fun to watch others play. Many different weapons and long story. 10/10 recommend!

A fun, wild waste of time that doesn't really live up to its predecessors.
  2. Jul 2, 2014
    Get ready for a new generation of zombie-slaying thrills where there's only minimal gameplay to get in the way of the thrills!
  3. May 11, 2014
    Out of all the Xbox One launch titles Dead Rising 3 is definitely the most entertaining. There's no denying that mowing down crowded streets full of zombies isn't a guilty pleasure. What Dead Rising 3 lacks, though, is next generation visuals. The game could easily pass as a fancy looking Xbox 360 title. [Feb 2014]