7.8

1. Jan 28, 2015
    As I'm writing this, I've played for about five hours, and in those five hours, I've had one of the most fun, and genuinely frightening experiences I've had playing a zombie game. Combat is very simple, but in this game, it's much safer to run early on. Stop to fight out in the open,and you can very easily become swarmed, and die very quickly. But that's why I love the movement system.As I'm writing this, I've played for about five hours, and in those five hours, I've had one of the most fun, and genuinely frightening experiences I've had playing a zombie game. Combat is very simple, but in this game, it's much safer to run early on. Stop to fight out in the open,and you can very easily become swarmed, and die very quickly. But that's why I love the movement system. It'll take a bit to get accustomed to at first, but once you do, you'll have a blast (If you like parkour in video games). My one complaint gameplay-wise is that there's no actual function to check your watch, and the only way to do so is to hang from a ledge. Though you do get radio warnings an hour before sunset, which is nice.

The story is certainly more interesting than I was expecting (To be honest I wasn't even expecting one), and the voice acting is good. The game is very pretty to look at too. But it becomes a whole different game when the sun goes down. That's not just a marketing tagline, it really does change. Instead of dodging slow zombies and scavenging for supplies,you're now running for your life from a much faster,stronger,and more dangerous enemy, one that stalks you relentlessly. But, at night, experience points double. So, when the sun goes down, you really have to ask yourself...is the risk really worth it?

Edit: So, I played a little more into the game, and I found a good a workaround for the watch issue. If you carry a good knife with you, you will hold up both arms when it's equipped, letting you see your watch just fine.
  2. Feb 2, 2015
    Best zombie game and game in general to come out in awhile. After so many disappointing games last year, dying light is a breath of fresh air. The characters absorb you enough into the story to make you care, the graphics are excellent, the open world design is done solidly, and finally the zombie gameplay is done in a fun, new way.
  3. Jan 28, 2015
    GRAPHICS SCORE-9.5- : Its a beautiful game that captures the desperate atmosphere of a quarantined city. The wind, lighting and surrounding mountains are equal parts stunning and give you a sense of abandonment and seclusion from the outside world. The SUN is a very prominent component in the visuals, the sunset obviously being a trigger of anxiety, it is beautiful and you want to gazeGRAPHICS SCORE-9.5- : Its a beautiful game that captures the desperate atmosphere of a quarantined city. The wind, lighting and surrounding mountains are equal parts stunning and give you a sense of abandonment and seclusion from the outside world. The SUN is a very prominent component in the visuals, the sunset obviously being a trigger of anxiety, it is beautiful and you want to gaze but know you must go find shelter.

GAMEPLAY SCORE-8.5-: The gameplay is much improved over dead island, the weapons seem to carry more weight and the parkour is very fun once you get a feel for it. The fact that you get XP for climbing and jumping and scaling just makes me more addicted to the game. But there are a few quirks that I do not like. You can kick zombies but there does not seem to be a way to kill them by kicking, so you have to use a weapon that has limited durability. Why cant I stomp their head in to save this weapon life?? And occasionally when jumping and scaling I found it clumsy to do the finer moves like dropping down to a near by ledge or the smaller jumps were missed.

STORYLINE-8.3-: The storyline actually surprised me a bit, I have not beaten the game so I can not grade this with complete accuracy but it has a nice twist of being undercover and that adds to the tense feeling of the game. Still not the most emotionally in depth story but I do feel for the survivors I'm trying to help.

ECONOMY-9-: It is almost identical to dead island, still very rewarding. I love loot and exploring the roof tops for it. The crafting is easy and on the go with fun gadgets. The XP economy is addictive!! I just wanted to keep playing and the XP is split into two bars...athletics and Combat so I wanted to balance my gameplay and try to find zombies split from the rest to kill and get my combat bar up while parkouring along the roof tops to get my athletics bar up. The skill tree is interesting, can't wait to dive in more.

FINAL IMPRESSION-9-: A stunning game with a great atmosphere of desperation and tension. Satisfying combat and parkour engines with minor quirks but nothing too frustrating once gotten used to. An addictive economic system that makes me want to keep looting and getting XP.
  4. Jan 28, 2015
    Great Graphics, The night is scary as hell, Plenty of quests, This game is pretty dang good..... The Co-op is probably the best part If you like Dead Island you will like this game
  5. Feb 13, 2015
    I have over 30 hours played so far and I must say this game is a major step forward from Dead Island. The overall tone of the game is an improvement, and the combat is more refined. The parkour system is a welcome breath of fresh air, and is absolutely necessary for the fantastic open world they have developed for the game. Exploring some of the games highest locations is absolutelyI have over 30 hours played so far and I must say this game is a major step forward from Dead Island. The overall tone of the game is an improvement, and the combat is more refined. The parkour system is a welcome breath of fresh air, and is absolutely necessary for the fantastic open world they have developed for the game. Exploring some of the games highest locations is absolutely amazing, and the world is full of small details to discover.
    However, the game has its drawbacks when it comes to its quests as well as a few of the mechanics. I have been completing every side quest as I progress through the game, and I have to say that they are absolutely boring. There are only a few side quests that actually add anything interesting to the game, and I do have to admit these were done very well. The day/night cycle is also a let down considering it can be skipped altogether. The biggest flaw in my opinion is the spawning mechanic for the game. Clearing an area so that you can search uninterrupted? NOPE! Zombies will continue to spawn within your immediate area regardless of if it even makes sense. One side quest lead me to a part of the bridge in the slums that was segmented from the rest, and was only accessable by climbing. Even after clearing the entire bridge zombies continued to spawn without there even being a legitimate way for more to show up. More spawning overnight I can accept, but in front of my eyes is a little too much. Viral spawning is another low of the game. You WILL hear the viral spawn noise A FEW HUNDRED TIMES, and they WILL know where you are regardless of if you flee. Virals have to be the most obnoxiously annoying part of the game. They constantly spawn, and killing them only spawns more and so on and so on. This would not be as annoying if they added any sort of challenge to the game, but they very quickly begin to feel like flies that need to be constantly swatted over and over.
    I am excited to see what hard mode has to offer considering how easy the game is in its current state, but spawning needs to be fixed for a more realistic and gratifying hard mode experience.
  6. Feb 12, 2015
    Much better than previous efforts from Techland.The side missions are a high point,as is the movement.I had a really good time with Dying Light,despite my expectations.Darkness made me nervous.That hasn't happened for quite some time...Nice work.
  7. Jan 29, 2015
    If you like dead island this feels like a great evolution. I like the parkour because it stresses how important it is to just survive. You're constantly on the run which feels more authentic than any zombie game I can think of...I haven't run into any issues with the movement. It is a hell of a rush to run by a bunch of zombies and then try to scramble up a fence not knowing how close theyIf you like dead island this feels like a great evolution. I like the parkour because it stresses how important it is to just survive. You're constantly on the run which feels more authentic than any zombie game I can think of...I haven't run into any issues with the movement. It is a hell of a rush to run by a bunch of zombies and then try to scramble up a fence not knowing how close they are behind you.

Bottom line: If you like platformers, the fear of being hunted, zombies, RPG aspects of upgrades I would think you would like this game. It requires you to make tough choices constantly...holy shnikes running from the horde at night is exhilarating!
  8. Feb 3, 2015
    I have beat this game once and now that I am about to start a new game plus play through. I must say that this game was nothing short of amazing. While its not perfect with its occasional bug out, the game is mostly a great experience.

You can easily get interested in the story and find yourself pretty caught up when someone important dies. Dying Light emits real vibrations that I have not seen the likes of in any other game which is highly enjoyable. The climbing and fighting animations are very smooth and allow you to easily get immersed in the game and leave you itching for more every time you have to set it down. One of the most defining things of Dying Light is its ability to put you in creepy settings that create real discomfort and make you scared or jumpy with out something randomly crashing in from a closed door like many games do (Jump scares).

While the game desperately needs a fast travel system the free running is enjoyable and makes up for the lack of swiftness in moving from point A to point B. I do see the logic in keeping out a fast travel considering the game is highly based on making your way around on foot but in the very least a quick way from town to town would be nice.

In short I rate Dying Light a 9/10 because while I absolutely love the game and all that it has to offer I cant honestly say that it is absolutely perfect. Nearly perfect but not quite there, as far as zombie parkour games go at least.
  9. Feb 4, 2015
    Everyone who says Dying Light is just Dead Island with park-our is sadly mistaken. Dying Light is THE most fun zombie game I have ever played. The Story is kind of cliche, but still extremely interesting. And is very very long, right when you think its going to end, it doesn't. Which is absolutely great, because it's such a great game. The park-our is absolutely amazing it is just likeEveryone who says Dying Light is just Dead Island with park-our is sadly mistaken. Dying Light is THE most fun zombie game I have ever played. The Story is kind of cliche, but still extremely interesting. And is very very long, right when you think its going to end, it doesn't. Which is absolutely great, because it's such a great game. The park-our is absolutely amazing it is just like mirrors edge once you get all the upgrades and **** But once you get the grappling hook, the game opens up. Getting away at night becomes a whole lot easier and genuinely more fun. All the upgrades are just fantastic with the electricity, and poison.
    I'm giving this game a ten because I have not played anything else for the last week and have over 50 hours of game play.
  10. Feb 1, 2015
    this is a re-review as i decided to give dying light another chance. it can still irritate the hell outta me but it is no doubt a fun game. I've almost finish the campaign and got to the second open world area and i'm glad to have gave the game another chance. It still is hard as balls and still can be unfair, but it is without a doubt a beautiful, polished, and fun game with a story thatthis is a re-review as i decided to give dying light another chance. it can still irritate the hell outta me but it is no doubt a fun game. I've almost finish the campaign and got to the second open world area and i'm glad to have gave the game another chance. It still is hard as balls and still can be unfair, but it is without a doubt a beautiful, polished, and fun game with a story that is surprisingly very good imo. i felt for the characters as their lives became worse and worse and i hated the main villain because he was a sick, evil, bastard. overall after playing more and more and getting better i really like this game now and don't regret buying it. it can still be a pain the ass BIG TIME, but it still is fun to run around and kill zombies or run for your life as night time can get scary and intense. i'm glad i turned out liking this game and i recommend it to any fan of dead island or open world zombie games. 8.5/10 Expand
  11. Feb 6, 2015
    After beating the main story and a few side quests. I was really on the fence on rather to give this game a 8 or a 9. I can say this game is very polished. All the glitches I encountered weren't too bad. Such as one time as a zombie lunged at me it partially clipped around the corner. However this only happened once. I can say I wasn't too thrilled with the story although I wasn'tAfter beating the main story and a few side quests. I was really on the fence on rather to give this game a 8 or a 9. I can say this game is very polished. All the glitches I encountered weren't too bad. Such as one time as a zombie lunged at me it partially clipped around the corner. However this only happened once. I can say I wasn't too thrilled with the story although I wasn't expecting much. However there were a couple twists that got me. The colored weapons that determine value is still here. (White, Green, Blue, etc.) However I did find it odd how a couple times I found a gun with the same name as mine but with a higher color value but with no change in stats at all. I can say I was very pleased with the night gameplay, as it feels like a very different game. At night the zombies called Volatiles come out, and the game basically turns into a stealth game. Now you can defend yourself using UV flares and a UV flashlight. The UV flashlight however drains in around 10 seconds and takes about 20 to recharge so it doesn't make you invulnerable. In closing if you like the zombie genre I really recommend it. If you're not into zombie games but you're interested I recommend you rent it and see if you think it's worth the money. Expand
  12. Feb 21, 2015
    100% pretty cool. Parkour aspect of the game is very high quality. The combat is essentially the same as Dead Island, but the solid parkour mechanics add to the diversity of each encounter. For me, these things alone are enough to pull the game up to a seven. Basic game mechanics have taken a back seat lately to over-done visuals and over the top presentation. This is not the case with100% pretty cool. Parkour aspect of the game is very high quality. The combat is essentially the same as Dead Island, but the solid parkour mechanics add to the diversity of each encounter. For me, these things alone are enough to pull the game up to a seven. Basic game mechanics have taken a back seat lately to over-done visuals and over the top presentation. This is not the case with Dying Light, so it's a welcome change. However, that's about all this game has to offer. The story is not engrossing at all, and lends nothing to the game. (par for the course with zombie games lately) Thus, the game quickly turns from an experience to a zombie-parkour sandbox. Since the mechanics are good, that's okay. Just look at Minecraft. It doesn't even have a story. The killer for this game though, is the level up system. It's lame. The skills are over-powered and easy to acquire, making this game lose it's difficulty at an alarming rate. That, combined with the lack-luster story leaves little reason to pick the game back up after 20-30 hours. So, is it worth the money? Probably not if you don't have friends to play it with. I would recommend a purchase price of $40, but if you really need to kill zombies and do parkour right now, go for the $60 tag. Expand
  13. Apr 23, 2015
    Dying light has one distinct feature that seperates it's unique gameplay amongst all the other myriads of Zombie games that have recently released in the last 5 years, and that is it's newly adapted Parkour feature. In Dying Light, players have the ability to overcome tall, obstruct obstacles using their rapid functioning endurance and visual prowess. Whilst these abilities can be furtherDying light has one distinct feature that seperates it's unique gameplay amongst all the other myriads of Zombie games that have recently released in the last 5 years, and that is it's newly adapted Parkour feature. In Dying Light, players have the ability to overcome tall, obstruct obstacles using their rapid functioning endurance and visual prowess. Whilst these abilities can be further upgraded for better performance, from the beginning you like a human spider, and yes, it is a fine enjoyment. It's this ability that allows for a fresh gameplay experience. But, in truth, aside from this (Very Entertaining) add-on to the zombie slayer genre, Dying Light, in itself, is just another Dead Island with slightly more appealing visuals. Yes, the environment is beautiful, and the graphics are easily next-gen certified, but in reality, how far do these qualities go when it comes to the thrill of a gaming experience? It's the same game with a slight adjustment in exploration. Is it a must own? If you have ever played any of the Dead Island games, then, in truth, you should have a pretty clear idea of what is to be expected in Dying Light. However, if you happen to be a die-hard zombie fan, then i guess it's worth a try. Expand
  14. Feb 2, 2015
    Dying Light is dope, simple as that. This open world zombie game, played from a first-person perspective, is a healthy mix of all of my favorite titles over the past few years. If you combine Far Cry’s basic model, with Mirror’s Edge’s parkour elements, and sprinkle Dead Island’s combat and zombie aspects, then you will end up with Dying Light. This game taps into my fear of heights likeDying Light is dope, simple as that. This open world zombie game, played from a first-person perspective, is a healthy mix of all of my favorite titles over the past few years. If you combine Far Cry’s basic model, with Mirror’s Edge’s parkour elements, and sprinkle Dead Island’s combat and zombie aspects, then you will end up with Dying Light. This game taps into my fear of heights like no virtual experience has before. Any game that can make me log forty hours in just four days must be worth a shot.

After the slow start to the game, it really opens up. You learn about your three skill trees (Agility, Power, and Survival,) which all level up and earn experience differently. A really unique aspect of this game is the night time and day time mechanics. During the day, you have Walking Dead zombies, slow, rotten, and easy to chop up. During night time, you have 30 Days of Night zombies, fast, scary, and difficult to destroy. The game does a great job of balancing the two times of day. If you are daring enough to be out at night, your experience gained for Power and Agility are doubled, adding mega bonus to having balls.

The story mode is engaging enough to finish, even though I feel like it drags on a little bit. Roger Craig Smith did an excellent job at voicing the main character, Kyle Crane. I enjoyed the campaign all of the way through to the end, until the end. I was really peeved by the last scene, but I’ll just leave it at that. Besides those last brutal ten minutes, I had a blast going through this story mode. I would not replay the story mode, but it was solid enough to put ten to twelve hours into.

Dying Light really finds it’s stride with the vast majority of side quests. This selection of side quests is the most compelling line up since Skyrim. As with any game, the more side quests you have, the more repetitive they get. With this game, they can get repetitive but with proper writing and structure, I get engaged with the characters and storyline enough to not care about the few quests that get repetitive. There are added story arcs in this game that make it infinitely better due to the fifty or more side quests.

This is a game that I would recommend to anyone. If you can stick through the sluggish opening, there is a lot of game to be played. The compelling stories get better outside of the main campaign. Regardless of if you are gathering a horde of zombies with firecrackers and then lighting them on fire with a Molotov, or if you are climbing a bridge just to admire the view, this game is extremely fun and exciting.
  15. Feb 20, 2015
    Dying Light is a blast. It's thrilling and packed with stuff to do. You can criticize the story, characters, and SOME side story quests (find me 15 lavender bushes), rightfully so, but this game doesn't need a great story or lovable characters. It's a thrilling open world zombie ride.
    The sound design, voice acting, skill system, combat, and parkour are ALL phenomenal. They work very well. For me the only frustrating mechanic is the grappling hook. It's AWESOME when it works (which for the most part it does)... but homeboy doesn't always like to grab the ledge you grapple to which usually results in falling straight down the side of a building into a pile of brain eaters. *Insert loud expletive*

This game shines when you're out out on your own (or with a friend) surviving Harran. It's a survival game: You need loot, you need weapons, you always need an escape plan. You need to make your character faster, stronger, and more agile to survive. Literally. Early on you're slow, weak, easily tired; Later on you're fast, powerful, and bold...but no matter what, you should never lose site of the nearest safe house...just incase. That's what I love about this game, I am fully maxed out, with weapons that slice through zombies with ease...yet when nightfall hits... i'm making damn sure I know where my safe UV-light-flooded safe houses are.

I dare you to find me a game that gives the same thrilling rush of excitement (or terror) when you're running like hell from zombies that are faster and stronger than you. One of the best games I've played on XB1
  16. Jan 27, 2015
    First review here on MetaCritic. Yay me! Anywho, bought this game after watching many gameplay videos and I must say the game is gorgeous. Takes a moment to get used to the controls for the running and jumping, but once you get it, it's pretty smooth. This game is what the last Dead Island should have been (to me). I was on the edge of my seat many times and love the feeling ofFirst review here on MetaCritic. Yay me! Anywho, bought this game after watching many gameplay videos and I must say the game is gorgeous. Takes a moment to get used to the controls for the running and jumping, but once you get it, it's pretty smooth. This game is what the last Dead Island should have been (to me). I was on the edge of my seat many times and love the feeling of impending doom - which the game captures well. Overall, a good game and looking forward to playing co-op. Expand
  17. Jan 27, 2015
    I know many of you will be on the fence about another Techland zombie game. Trust me, I was very cautiously pessimistic about Dying Light. I can say that in many ways though it is a perfected version of Dead Island, my only real complaint is the lack of vehicles. I understand these weren't introduced to allow players to make use of the parkour movement system.

Graphically they game

Graphically they game is pretty outstanding, I think it looks better than some of the videos and screenshots we have been shown for so long. I have seen some odd to downright hilarious things while playing this game, nothing game breaking, but like zombies stuck in cars or watching them fall over and over again.

Combat is very similar to Dead Island but feel far more natural. The games level system with combat makes it seem like your weaker than you should be at first and then way stronger than anyone should be by the end. I get this is probably to give the player a sense of learning to fight and survive and while its entirely possible you will survive even the most intense swarm, just keep in mind that in most events early on its always best to just run. Once the levels start rolling in and the weapons get better and better you effectively become the Rick Grimes of Dying Light and just start mowing through the undead.

The audio of the game is pretty spectacular, probably my favorite part. The voice acting is pretty sharp with Roger Craig Smith (Known for playing Chris Redfield & Ezio Auditore) taking the lead. The ambient noise provides great atmosphere, especially at night when things are at their creepiest. Most firearms sound average, neither great, nor bad. Weapon impact on melee weapons sound great though and add to the brutality of the actions on screen.

As some have stated, the story is well more than I expected it to be, so I have to give them kudos for trying, the game is at it's best when playing co-op or even more so when terrorizing players as a Zombie. The only real thing I feel they missed out on was leaving out vehicles (like I stated at the start) but otherwise its a solid zombie game for next gen consoles.

Overall it's certainly the best game we have seen from Techland
  18. Jan 27, 2015
    This game is absolutely remarkable. I actually had pretty low expectations after I didn't really enjoy Dead Island all that much, but Techland must have overhauled their team with some top quality people. The environments and characters for graphics are not only realistic but deliver it's own unique style. I'm only 10 hours in and it's the best game I've played since The Last Of Us.
  19. Jan 27, 2015
    This game is amazing. Parkour is awesome and the combat is awesome. This game is a must have. Its just so much fun to play co-op and just take out zombies and run around the city. Buy this game now.
  20. Jan 29, 2015
    One of the best games I have played especially with Zombies. The graphics on the xbox one is stunning and the running is just like "Mirror's Edge" game which allows for excellent movement. I am very pleased with buying this game and this is how "Dead Island" should have looked if the xbox 360 could have handled it.
  21. Feb 2, 2015
    This is the best game to come out on console since the new generation of gaming started. Hands down. I have played 40 hours already... That's a lot I know, but that's how this game is meant to be played. I hate how these "professional" reviewers played the game for less than ten hours, ran through the campaign, and complained about how they couldn't get a grasp of the movement. Yeah...This is the best game to come out on console since the new generation of gaming started. Hands down. I have played 40 hours already... That's a lot I know, but that's how this game is meant to be played. I hate how these "professional" reviewers played the game for less than ten hours, ran through the campaign, and complained about how they couldn't get a grasp of the movement. Yeah... Jump is RB... duhh. It takes an hour tops for most people to get used to new controls. The main reason cited for poor scores is the controls and movement. It's not the games fault if you can't maximize the movement in the game. They mention nothing about climbing becoming easier as you progress, combat becomes easier, and the overall feel of the game becomes exceptional once you put some time in. It's not meant to be an easy game like COD. You are supposed to struggle at the start and feel overwhelmed. Then, once you put time in you become a bad***. I think that a lot of these reviewers are lazy and didn't actually put enough time in to truly judge how great this game really is. Professional game scores should never range from 50-95... really? Somebody isn't doing their job properly. This is the most fun I have had with any game since Fallout 3 or GTA 5 on 360. It's not a copy of Dead Island, though some aspects seem familiar. They fixed almost everything that was wrong with DI in this game and added a very fluid parkour system and a better progression system with weapons, zombies, and your character. Not to mention that it has some of the best visuals I've seen on console. It is an excellent game. 10/10 for me. The first "must own" of the new generation. Expand
  22. Feb 2, 2015
    This game is great. 10/10. In the top 5 for the must fun I have ever had with a video game. I was skeptical at first, but I have played enough to get to max rank on Survivor, Combat, and Agility, and I have to say that this game is great. Anybody giving it a score below 60 didn't play the same game that I have. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you say this game is lower than aThis game is great. 10/10. In the top 5 for the must fun I have ever had with a video game. I was skeptical at first, but I have played enough to get to max rank on Survivor, Combat, and Agility, and I have to say that this game is great. Anybody giving it a score below 60 didn't play the same game that I have. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you say this game is lower than a 80... You're wrong. Sorry. This game is great. Expand
  23. Jan 27, 2015
    I currently have played about 11 hours of Dying Light and must say that game is fun and really does a good job to get your heart racing. The game mechanics are smooth. The story is okay. Nothing we haven't really heard before. The parkour is amazing. The multiplayer was fun. The graphics are beautiful. I highly recommend this game.
  24. Jan 27, 2015
    Great game, picture dead island with a better story, graphics, and gameplay. All it has done so far was great, and Dying Light has not failed to impress.
  25. Jan 27, 2015
    This game is just amazing in every way the story the visuals and the gameplay is so awesome and fluent. If your thinking of buying this game then buy it its a must have for all owners for the new generation.
  26. Jan 28, 2015
    Have immense fun with Dying Light, it is exactly the game I've been waiting for a long time. Dying Light makes a lot of things right. it's the perfect zombie game for me.
  27. Jan 28, 2015
    I am writing this rather quickly so sorry about any grammar issues*

I am writing this rather quickly so sorry about any grammar issues*

If you are looking for honest user reviews of games, I wouldn't even consider the people who gave this game a 10. Unfortunately people do that for all games. A 10 out of 10 is a perfect game people and this game is far from perfect. Now I am not going to talk a lot about all the great things because there are too many and there are just a handful of bad...but they can create a very frustrating experience.

The things that I love: Night and day cycle, satisfying melee combat, decent gunplay, frightening feeling at night, different "tier" weapons, characters.

Yes, this is an amazing game...far better that most of the ones that have been coming out. That being said, they have forgot some basic elements that really make the game frustrating. Instead of using your melee weapon to block like every other game, you have to unlock it as a perk in the 2nd level of the skill tree.Even then you have to create a shield to even utilize t block. Every other human character gets to block except yours. This makes for an extremely frustrating time fighting NPCs who have auto aim, dodge and block 90% of what you do. That is my biggest gripe with this game when it comes to gameplay. It would be nice if they added attachments to the guns and have the drops contain random objects instead of just medkits, flares and the standard exp boost. It would make searching for the airdrops and searching for weapons a lot more useful and interesting.

There are some random events throughout the game as you make your travels but they really don't do much for you. Think of the game Spiderman when you get the random encounters and its the same ones over and over again...that is what this game has. Thankfully they give you some nice items instead of just experience.

The graphics are stunning...except for the FILM GRAIN...Lord do I hate film grain. I do not understand what developers are thinking when they put in film grain without the option to turn it off. From what I can see on the forums, a lot of people are complaining about this so hopefully a "switch" will be implemented in a patch.

Now I know I didn't expand upon all the great elements but if I did, it would take wayyyyy to much time as this game is AMAZING...but not perfect. I was just simply trying to point out a few elements that really make some of the game frustrating.
  28. Jan 27, 2015
    Hands down the best zombie game I have played sense state of decay. The graphics are amazing. The nighttime feel is almost to scary lmao. Glad I picked this game up you won't regret it.
  29. Jan 27, 2015
    this game is great, it has some of the best zombie gameplay that I have ever tried, at day you run around trying to prepare for the night, and the night gameplay is amazing I feel paranoid even an hour after turning the game off, it truly makes you feel scared of the night. good night good luck
  30. Jan 29, 2015
    Game is absolutely fantastic. No idea why it's getting negative scores by critics. The story is very interesting and one that I actually got invested in. More so than any other single player game in a long time. Also the protagonist is a fun moral character that you actually like. He's faceless, but he doesn't have the generic Caucasian male dialogue that most do. His voice actor is reallyGame is absolutely fantastic. No idea why it's getting negative scores by critics. The story is very interesting and one that I actually got invested in. More so than any other single player game in a long time. Also the protagonist is a fun moral character that you actually like. He's faceless, but he doesn't have the generic Caucasian male dialogue that most do. His voice actor is really good as well. As well as the main story the side quests are also very well done. Good stories, reminiscent of the side quests in Skyrim and theres a lot of them.

As for the world, it isn't that big but it's detail and architecture certainly makes up for it. The developers have definately found a way to get you sidetracked while on your way to do something without gimmicks. There are random events, but theres also random quest lines, airdrop missions that will pop up randomly, bandits attacking survivors that you can help (or leave behind), and the way the game's mechanics and architecture is built allows for strategic thinking when parkouring.

The combat is also fantastic. The one thing I could complain about is the melee mechanics on the controller aren't so good. To kill zombies you're mostly going for headshots, as they do a severly different ammount of damage than any body shot, but when the game is 30fps and the zombies have such fluid animations when hit, it's very hard to follow up hitting them in the head when they're bobbing around from your attacks. This is made difficult with the use of a controller.

The progression is also fantastic, although you pretty much gain all of the abilties in your tree eventually. This is kind of dumb, as it does add to the replay value if you were to decide between one ability or the other. Other than that, the progression is good.

The graphics are beautiful. Definately the best I've seen on a console in a long time. Probly even better on PC. The animations are also phenomenal. Besides the awkward looting animation the rest of them like the zombies stumbling look phenomenally realistic.
  31. Feb 2, 2015
    Dead Island on steroids! That's not a bad thing Intense combat, creative crafting, awesome graphics and tons of zombies. I don't know what else anybody could possibly want in a zombie survival horror game. This is the Best Zombie Horror Game to date.
  32. Jan 30, 2015
    I have played the game for around 8 hours now and am feeling very satisfied with my purchase, the games story is thrilling and intense and will keep you wanting more, the combat is very satisfying and will make you feel outnumbered even when there are only 5 zombies coming at you. The game is smooth and I have not even noticed barely a drop in frame although if you walk through the gameI have played the game for around 8 hours now and am feeling very satisfied with my purchase, the games story is thrilling and intense and will keep you wanting more, the combat is very satisfying and will make you feel outnumbered even when there are only 5 zombies coming at you. The game is smooth and I have not even noticed barely a drop in frame although if you walk through the game you will notice shadow pop in but if you play the game as intended (a parkour zombie game) then you will not notice this at all. The graphics are stunning to say the least. Be the zombie is a bit of a let down at this current moment due to the fact disconnection always happens (10 attempts, 10 disconnections). The season pass will also not allow you to download it yet which is bad but this game has had a terrible launch it would be expected. COOP, although I have only played with 1 person for 5 minutes (kicked them for using kinect and the fact I didn't want them in the game in the first place but I wanted be a zombie public) the players are very choppy when you look at the other person which is a let down.

Overall the game is fun, fast paced and the parkour is astonishing. All zombie/parkour/mirrors edge fans give this game a shot!
  33. Feb 1, 2015
    I had no expectations but this game blew me away. So much freedom, great parkour, progress trees, good main story, TONS of side missions - most of them well-executed and non-repetitive, gorgeous visuals, multiple zombie types.
    Gives you barely any guns and makes you value the weapons you find even more this way as it's not hard to get carried away and break them (but there's a perk for that as well). Music - nothing sensational, but fits the mood perfectly, the main theme is absolutely great. And the mood is much more serious than Dead Island, with no blinking objects around the world you feel like you are there instead of the game holding your hand and showing you the goodies around you. You have to work carefully for your progress while being careful of the masses of zombies around at all times - great survival element.
    Love the colours - more realistic than most games (including Dead Island and even GTA V), the setting and the colour palette might remind you of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - and this is huge compliment.
    The horror comes at night, when you become the prey and vicious zombies will chase you in the dark - and this is how nights in videos games should be (unlike the well lit ones on Rockstar's and Bethesda's games).
    Bottom line - fun to play, intriguing main story, tons of good side quests, great visuals and fitting music. Pretty much better than anything that came out in 2014.
  34. Jan 29, 2015
    o jogo está incrivel demais, a ambientação o clima de seriedade total da historia, tudo esta absolutamente perfeito, o mais legal é quando tu ataca um zumbi e tu tem nitidamente aquele sentimento de que o zumbi esta sentindo o golpe, tu sente o golpe quando bate

- graficos incriveis, iluminação tudo é lindo, e ta rodando muito liso mesmo perfeito demais. - historia sensacional te

- historia sensacional te prende desde o primeiro segundo
    - sistema de craft magnifico
    - aba de habilidades com 3 opções com muitas skills
    - o inimigo sente o golpe quando é atacado e isso da uma imersão absurda
    - a movimentação esta muito fluida tudo ocorre de forma explendida
    - cidade gigantesca com diversos lugares diferentes não andei tudo mais garanto que é monstruosamente grande
    - são 2 jogos, o dia e a noite que muda totalmente o gameplay é show demais
    - pode entrar nas casas e construções e vasculhar tudo
    - dezenas de itens que tem serventia para craft ou vender
    - carros, lixos, zumbis mortos, geladeiras, malas enfim tudo pode ser vasculhado atraz de itens
    - multiplayer sensacional, coop desde o começo apos o prologo, é so deixar ativado o coop que sempre entra gente , e o modo zumbi pode deixar ativado pra outros jogadores entrar no seu jogo, ou pode jogar sozinho sem ninguem te encher ai vai a gosto do freguês.
    - são tantas qualidades nesse jogo, diria que esse é o jogo que a muito procurava de zumbis, o sistema de combate é muito show enquanto em outros jogos os inimigos tu ataca e sao uns pedaços de madeira aqui no dying light o inimigo sente o golpe é so jogando pra entender é muito show.

- a dublagem esta muito mais muito boa mesmo, fizeram um otimo trabalho parabens a warner e techland.
    - o som do jogo esta muito show. estou usando o headset oficial do xbox one.

- quem tiver em duvidas pode comprar, esse jogo merece ser comparado.

abraços.
  35. Feb 20, 2015
    THIS IS A GREAT GAME! For those of you who loved dead Island, this is the game you are looking for. I have had absolute 0 problems with it since I started playing. I bought this about a month ago, still haven't beat the campaign, and I am still entertained.

The world is REALLY big, lots of stuff you can do, you can scavenge ALOT OF STUFF in this game. I mean I have barley done ANY main missions at all and I am still having a blast, I have played hours with this game, and to be honest I am having more fun with this than Alien Isolation and Shadow of Mordor.

Trust me BUY this game it is super fun. But if I could recommend something, make sure some of your friends have it too, because that makes it 10 times more fun.
  36. Feb 3, 2015
    Game break down...

Pros Very satisfying gameplay from wall scaling and jumping to melee combat, it rips right from far cry and it all works well together. Crafting is basic - find this assemble that, but gives the player choice in picking that perfect weapon and modifying it or crafting something maybe more useful for the time being. The game creates panic very well with high anxiety
    Game break down...

Pros
    Very satisfying gameplay from wall scaling and jumping to melee combat, it rips right from far cry and it all works well together. Crafting is basic - find this assemble that, but gives the player choice in picking that perfect weapon and modifying it or crafting something maybe more useful for the time being. The game creates panic very well with high anxiety moments at night especially but even during the day. Co-op is great fun as long as you have the right player by your side. Side quest's are the real seller for the game - they are satisfying and thought provoking. Overall some of the most fun i have had scaling walls in a game and free running around a city and it only gets better with the perk system. It is hard to get used to the control scheme but once you get the hang of it its rewarding as hell.

Cons
    The story on the other hand is not the reason you will enjoy dying light. Dialogue is terrible with very cheesy over the top voice acting. The cliche story of a man sent to accomplish one task and maintain his identity, but begins to take on several others and become attached to the people forgetting his place in the infected zone. Some glitches but not game breakers by any means. Combat is great but at times very frustrating due to camera movements and aiming problems, for example I aimed for his head but missed completely and paid for it.

All in all its a fun game with lots to do and enough satisfying gameplay and online play to keep you fighting until the end.
  37. Feb 3, 2015
    This is a great game! I think the critics must be out of touch with the average gamer. It did start out a bit slow but once things get going it's an absolute blast. I'm sure this game isn't for everyone but if you thought you'd like this game, you probably will. The night sequences are stressful and as much fun as promised. I think the only comparison between this and Dead Island isThis is a great game! I think the critics must be out of touch with the average gamer. It did start out a bit slow but once things get going it's an absolute blast. I'm sure this game isn't for everyone but if you thought you'd like this game, you probably will. The night sequences are stressful and as much fun as promised. I think the only comparison between this and Dead Island is that they both have zombies. Like I said, if you like bashing zombies, you'll dig this game. I have a pretty big backlog of games but I can't seem to put this one down. Expand
  38. Feb 2, 2015
    Overall, the open world game framework of this game reminds me alot of Far Cry but with zombies. The parkour traversal system is a lot more intuitive, rewarding and enjoyable than assassins creed and the combat is great when you get the hang of it. Although the story isn't the strongest, the gameplay and open world exploration more than make up for it. I would recommend this game to anyoneOverall, the open world game framework of this game reminds me alot of Far Cry but with zombies. The parkour traversal system is a lot more intuitive, rewarding and enjoyable than assassins creed and the combat is great when you get the hang of it. Although the story isn't the strongest, the gameplay and open world exploration more than make up for it. I would recommend this game to anyone who plays games primarily for the gameplay. Expand
  39. Jan 28, 2015
    Finally, a zombie game that feels fresh. The first thing that really stands out to me in this game, and others have said it, is the story but also the unique music. The story is definitely deeper than what any preview made it out to be and combined with music that sounds like something out of a John Carpenter movie (with that deep gloomy synth overtone) it really does make this game feelFinally, a zombie game that feels fresh. The first thing that really stands out to me in this game, and others have said it, is the story but also the unique music. The story is definitely deeper than what any preview made it out to be and combined with music that sounds like something out of a John Carpenter movie (with that deep gloomy synth overtone) it really does make this game feel like you are playing the roll of a modernized 1980's George Romero zombie movie. The controls are very tight and easy, which is a nice change of pace from the very comparable 'Dead Island' games. The upgradable progress trees can be a little confusing but mainly just because they are so massive with so many routes to go, but that's not so much a bad thing. I keep reading a lot about how great the graphics are, which they are good, but could be much better especially when it comes to the environment which seems very repetitive and bland at times. With them pushing the parkour elements everything looks great from the routes they makes it clear you should take (the high road on rooftops) but when you spend time on the ground level it becomes very blah looking, specifically any large bodies of water which seem to have no movement or animation. The interface of the game almost reminds me of 'Fallout 3' as far as having to build items, repair weapons as they become damaged, keep an inventory, finding safe places to sleep and pass time, and even the way the camera zooms in when having a dialogue with other characters (which is a good thing in my mind). The game play is very is very reminiscent of 'Dead Island' but much deeper with a heavy, heavy, heavy emphasis on the parkour elements. You will be going on several 'go fetch this' or 'go rescue him' missions, but the dynamic of time sensitivity with the day and night makes it feel really fresh. The co-op and counter-op ability is really fun too, as well as the options to keep your game private in both senses of having people being able to drop in to play along side with or keeping it private yet keeping the counter-op open letting somebody fill the role of the zombie stalking you down. All-in-all the game is refreshing for its genre but can get a bit stale at times, however, the action and deeply gloomy feeling this game delivers in the bigger missions and deep story more than makes up for it. Expand
  40. Jan 29, 2015
    Graficos impressionantes, dignos de nova geração, jogabilidade facil e historia mt boa. De longe o melhor jogo de zumbis desde Resident Evil (Os antigos)
  41. Jan 29, 2015
    just okay but already better than all Dead Island Games

shame that it has season pass

2 much games already that are on that "hype train"

hope it pays off in the future

solong
  42. Jan 29, 2015
    Overall well made game. Not too many glitches and has a fun, gaming experience. A new take on the zombie platform style games adding parkour into gameplay. A well rounded fit as you make your way through the infected city.
  43. Jan 29, 2015
    I have never played a game like this. The tutorial immerses you immediately upon landing in the quarantine zone, and you are quickly thrust into danger that, shockingly, you cannot defeat. Four maybe five hours in, I have used the crafting system, trekked only half a mile from the main safehouse, and gone through one night cycle. As it is still the early stages you are not set against theI have never played a game like this. The tutorial immerses you immediately upon landing in the quarantine zone, and you are quickly thrust into danger that, shockingly, you cannot defeat. Four maybe five hours in, I have used the crafting system, trekked only half a mile from the main safehouse, and gone through one night cycle. As it is still the early stages you are not set against the night terrors, but you hear them. And in the pitch blackness of that first night, you will fall a lot trying to regain your hopeful safety upon the rooftops. Good night, good luck. Indeed. That was more anxiety-filled than any game or boss battle I have ever encountered. Excellence in starting zones.

Graphics are good, I'd say 8/10. Standard for the era but not quite reaching the peak some companies have attained. Decent bit of detail, lots of texture, but zombies and survivors alike are recycled. A lot.

Sound is 8/10. Again the zombies duck a point, as their sound effects are average and repetitious. Voice-acting is, as usual for open-world games, sub-par to games that are more story-driven. The music is good, very good, and the ambient sounds - especially at night - are perfect.

Mechanics sit at 9/10. I fell and missed the mark a lot - but was it the game's fault? Never. I could tell that this game was simply making me learn, making me suffer so later on I could succeed when it truly counted. Countless times I fell from rooftops or missed my parkour jumps, only to acknowledge my need to fail now so I could not fall into the hands of the hunters later. The character is quick, responsive, and well-adjusted to the environment.

Character progression is a 7/10. I'm not impressed by it, I'm not disappointed. Spiderweb skill trees, three branches... you earn experience towards each as you work on those kind of traits. The skills themselves look very promising, however, and I hope that as I progress they turn this 7 into a solid 9 for tactful and diverse usage!

World travel is a 10/10. I have never encountered a world that feel this vast and new, open and explorable. It is a sheer joy to partake in the open-world traveling that Dying Light Offers. A true joy. I saw a few complaints that vehicles would have been nice - but in this environment? My few hours taught me that this game was made for Crane. And Crane does not disappoint.

Storyline is 7/10. It deviates some from average undead titles, and pits you against a different type of zombie apocolypse. It gives you a more focused purpose that follows you through your interactions with survivors. Other than that, what is there to say? Undead are undead, and your purpose is often the same.

I prefer realism in my titles; after Dead Rising, Dead Island, and the like, the fear is what causes my favoritism towards this title. Playing as Crane makes me feel that fear, the terror that something is about to grab me and yank me off of my high horse. Then eat my brains, of course.

Overall 9/10, despite a couple 7's. I love the uniqueness in this title. It will only get better with the season pass, and I haven't even tried co-op. A truly interesting - and anxiety-inducing - experience.
  44. Jan 30, 2015
    I was interested in this game ever since the first trailer. First off, the graphics in this game are absolutely stunning. The massive world, character models, gore, and sound are some of the best I've seen. Parkour and zombie slaying seems like bread and butter, but does Dying Light pull it off? For the most part, yes. The parkour feels really slick and to chain a good run together feelsI was interested in this game ever since the first trailer. First off, the graphics in this game are absolutely stunning. The massive world, character models, gore, and sound are some of the best I've seen. Parkour and zombie slaying seems like bread and butter, but does Dying Light pull it off? For the most part, yes. The parkour feels really slick and to chain a good run together feels very satisfying. The combat is intense and incredibly gory and feels very satisfying. The loot and crafting systems work very well and the sheer amount of loot and variance of the weapons is incredible. The feeling of progression is also very satisfying with 3 (yes 3) massive skill trees and the constant upgrading of weapons. Although single player is very fun, this is just one of those games that are infinitely more fun with a friend. The seamless parkour matched with the loot fest and skull destroying is just a whole new experience with a friend. Really the only fault with the game is the story. Although it isn't bad, don't expect Last of Us caliber narrative. Overall, a very good game with loads of progression and pure fun to be had. Expand
  45. Jan 31, 2015
    i've been witing for this game a long time i thought it was gonna be like dead island i played it for a long time like maybe 3 days and i already enjoyed everything about it it fixed all of the issues i had in dead island and at night time u get hunted by creature that can jump climb and in day time u can scavange items and the map is massive there areas that have hordes of zombies like ini've been witing for this game a long time i thought it was gonna be like dead island i played it for a long time like maybe 3 days and i already enjoyed everything about it it fixed all of the issues i had in dead island and at night time u get hunted by creature that can jump climb and in day time u can scavange items and the map is massive there areas that have hordes of zombies like in dead island theres only 3 to 7 zombies at once and in dying light ther can 7 to hundreds of zombies at once each with there own look and behavior like i saw a prisoner zombie with a huge pipe and if u make noise u will atract every zombie in the area to that location and u can craft items that lower them away for a easy escape i give it a 10 out of 10 its worth a buy and if your intrested in a zombie apcoalypse game go with this one it won't disapoint u. Expand
  46. Feb 3, 2015
    Gameplay wise, there isn't a single thing wrong with this game and I can't stress that enough.

The story is good too, great in fact. The game really pulls you in, you feel as if you're in Harran, you're Kyle Crane. When I was free running and went to do a jump that seemed impossible I literally screamed 'holy shiiiiit' as if it was myself doing the jump, that's how immersive this

The story is good too, great in fact.

The game really pulls you in, you feel as if you're in Harran, you're Kyle Crane. When I was free running and went to do a jump that seemed impossible I literally screamed 'holy shiiiiit' as if it was myself doing the jump, that's how immersive this game felt.

The main issue however is a big one, it's the zombies, now if you've never played a dead island game before this isn't a problem, but for somebody who has it will feel like a re-skin as the exact same special infected are used I this game and it just doesn't feel new.

The levelling system was nice but many of the upgrades I never actually used.

The night time was so intense when the story wanted it to be, but outside of missions that were intended to be at the night, the night time feels lackluster as it's incredibly easy to escape the volatiles. But overall this was a fantastic start to 2015 with an amazing game, this feels as if dying light will be the shadow of Mordor of 2015. The game that's great and at the time you don't expect it to contend with game of the year, but come the end of the year, it will be up there with the best.
  47. Feb 12, 2015
    This game is awesome . i just registered this website to write this because every zombie or walking dead fan should play this game . Game is a little bit easy . İn mini map you can see the violatiles even where they are look . They announced the hard difficulty mode . İ hope this will make the game even harder and awesome for the players ! sorry for the bad english btw .
  48. Jan 29, 2015
    I wouldn't recommend this game for what it's being advertised as. It's not much of a Survival game at all. Not much of an open world experience. Not much of a story. It is however a good combination of tried and true game mechanics in a zombie-afflicted fictional middle eastern city.

I haven't tried Co-op, but considering it's nothing at all what's being advertised (as expected), there was nothing within my soul telling me to bother trying it.

It is however a good combination of tried and true.. oh yeah, I already said that. So anyways, if you liked playing every single Assassin's Creed, you'll probably like this game too. Especially if Zombies are also awesome in your book.

If not, don't expect this game to give you any thrills outside of what I already mentioned. Not to say that I can't have fun with it, I just can't recommend it.
  49. Jan 28, 2015
    I clocked about 8 hours playing yesterday. Every minute I enjoyed. This game is like Dead Island and Mirrors Edge had a baby. Great game play, very nice graphics and a crap ton of stuff to do. Hell I spent 4 of those hours just running around exploring. If you enjoyed Dead Island you NEED to go grab this quick. I promise you'll love it.
  50. Jan 29, 2015
    So far its been great! The game is fun play and easy to learn. Controls are tight and responsive. The only criticism I have (which I have for many games) is the cutscenes are soooo boring to me. It's not fun to watch digital characters have a "dramatic" conversation with pauses between statements, for minutes at a time. Speed it up, and just tell me "go get this item, then come back:So far its been great! The game is fun play and easy to learn. Controls are tight and responsive. The only criticism I have (which I have for many games) is the cutscenes are soooo boring to me. It's not fun to watch digital characters have a "dramatic" conversation with pauses between statements, for minutes at a time. Speed it up, and just tell me "go get this item, then come back: rather than take 2 minutes to explain why we need that item, etc. Thankfully, you can SKIP these scenes... aaahhhh... There are also spots where your character stops in place, gets his radio out, and stares at it while we listen to the conversation - why not just have the audio play in a "earpiece" while we are running around? These are just personal design choices I would have done differently to move the boring bits faster, but it's a minor gripe in an otherwise great game. I've played for about 2 hours now, and no rage-quittin'... so far so good! Expand
  51. Feb 3, 2015
    Im not sure why or how this happened but i am in love with this game, the last time i was so immeresed in a game like i am this one was Obllivion back on the 360. the only reason im not gonna give this is a 10 is there is a huge amount of glitches
  52. Jan 28, 2015
    Great game. Combat is fun, moving thru environments is awesome, plot is decent so far and the graphics are pretty good. Overall I'm really happy with the game.
  53. Jan 27, 2015
    This game is like a refined Dead Island (with the crafting of weapons) and the story dialogue of FarCry. The running around and leaping over everything make this game so much fun; add in the traps you can set throughout and this game is worth picking up. Far better than what I expected.
  54. Apr 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So it's a fairly decent game, not much replay value though in my opinion. I've completed the story right up to entering Rais's tower (the end) and I have to say, I'm sadden at the lack of creativity.
    What I mean by this is simple...when the game needs to get hard, the creators throw out the 'rules of the game' just to make it more difficult to play. It's truly sad to see such amateur moves when the game itself had potential. For example...putting the transmitter on that highest tower...yeah all of a sudden the grapple hook doesn't work...or when Jade dies, my weapons are all gone yet Rais and his men never touched me in the museum...etc, etc, etc. So just on, 'hey, we made a game where players can achieve a high level before the game is done so how do we rectify,,,oh yeah, we'll just CHANGE THE RULES!'
    Pathetic, sad, non-creative, nothing to see here, move along.
    Would I recommend this game, absolutely not...save the money and look for it in the bargain bin since that's what the creators did, threw the concept away with quick cheap fixes.
  55. Mar 14, 2015
    This game is awful. So boring and lacking originality in any way. Imagine the game Dead Island, but somehow it's worse. Literally could barely get past playing 1.5 hours. Hundreds of cut scenes to skip with surprisingly bad controls for a console game. Interface is horrible and combat is a joke. Hitting the same zombie 11 times with a pipe isn't fun. Also 'Combat Stamina' wears fast and isThis game is awful. So boring and lacking originality in any way. Imagine the game Dead Island, but somehow it's worse. Literally could barely get past playing 1.5 hours. Hundreds of cut scenes to skip with surprisingly bad controls for a console game. Interface is horrible and combat is a joke. Hitting the same zombie 11 times with a pipe isn't fun. Also 'Combat Stamina' wears fast and is useless. Horrible horrible horrible game. Expand
  56. Feb 1, 2015
    Dying light snuck up on me. I'm not a huge fan of most zombie games. I only found out about the game after seeing it being played on Twitch. What made me interested in the game was the combat elements similarity with condemned criminal origins.I really enjoy the hand to hand combat in the everyday items that you find that you use in combat. The combat system has lived up to myDying light snuck up on me. I'm not a huge fan of most zombie games. I only found out about the game after seeing it being played on Twitch. What made me interested in the game was the combat elements similarity with condemned criminal origins.I really enjoy the hand to hand combat in the everyday items that you find that you use in combat. The combat system has lived up to my expectations. What I did not expect was all the neat ways to set traps to kill zombies being as much fun as the hand to hand combat.

The world you're playing in is very large and very Undead. it's amazing achievement the way they have innocence blended Mirror's Edge into a open world zombie game. I think this might be the greatest achievement of this game. There is nothing like running away from a horde of crazy zombies and then being able to slow mo and look behind you while being chased.

The
    This game is by no means perfect, and I have personally experienced several crashes. When all is said and done what you are left with at the end of the day is a very enjoyable multiplayer experience that can also be played alone and preferably in the dark. Those seeking to play this game alone may choose to play on PC or Playstation 4 for better frame rate. However the multi player experience that xboxlive provide is in my opinion well worth some of the graphical sacrifices.
  57. Feb 3, 2015
    Great game, perfect fusion between "Mirror's edge" le pakour style and the apocalyptical world of ZombiU, but way way way better than the wii u game. There's some nice easter egg distributed. Xbox one version has an advantage, XBox one controller is better than DS4
  58. Feb 28, 2015
    I really wanted to like this game it is a dead island/fallout /thief kind of game. For me this is one of the big let downs, It really does not have its own identity. I was always thinking while playing this I liked that in fallout or I liked that in mirrors edge or I liked that in thief and I never really thought hey that's a cool idea they came up with. The other thing is the climbingI really wanted to like this game it is a dead island/fallout /thief kind of game. For me this is one of the big let downs, It really does not have its own identity. I was always thinking while playing this I liked that in fallout or I liked that in mirrors edge or I liked that in thief and I never really thought hey that's a cool idea they came up with. The other thing is the climbing which is way too off for this sort of game and also no manual save is shocking and dam right unforgivable. The graphics and the world are nice to look at but combat is really bad as well and a slow zombie seems to teleport on top of you and you can die from hits that are not near you. The weapons seem to all act the same even after levelling them up and after 5 hours I really lost the will to keep playing this and so I will cut my loses and trade it in before the price drops which I think it will very soon. All in all very disappointing and not worth the money which is a shame because I really did want to like it. Expand
  59. Apr 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't Buy this stinker.

The game seemed good to me for the first 10 hours or so, multiplayer is terribly mismatched and can be a little one sided, but the game in the beginning is fun and thrilling when fleeing or attacking dangerous undead. The game starts to stink pretty early on, however, if you pursue the storyline. Instead of making a character that people can relate to, they make a man who is some sort of secret agent that has a change of heart and falls in love with a middle eastern woman in the fictional country of Harran. Adding incredulity, her name is Jade while everyone else has typical-ish middle eastern names. The love story takes main stage during the story missions and the game's writing starts going down like dried pineapple husks on a hot day.

The Devs choose to pit a wild man dictator type as the antagonist that talks like a latino and has poor taste in music. The game plays like a carbon copy of Dead Island, with the addition of the ability to scale walls a la Assassin's Creed. The game really takes a turn for disaster in the final levels, which are obstacle courses filled with long jumps over bottomless pits and balance beams, fully exploiting the game's poor controls in lieu of creating a scenario which might be difficult based on the game's own merits, something maybe to do with killing zombies or something, idk. Finally, in their infinite wisdom, Techland decides to make the last boss fight a button matching sequence. ( no joke ) X, B, Y, X, X and Mash A repeatedly. You're done, speed fingers, you got him. **** This game had all the tools and somehow the developers still **** it up. Truly Disappointing.
  60. Jan 27, 2015
    Far Cry 4 + Metro Last Light + Mirror's Edge + Fallout 3 + Condemned + Zombies= Dying Light.
    BRA-Freakin-VO!
    This game came out of nowhere. Given that there were no reviews to speak of, I thought this was another one of those "Let's not let it be reviewed because we know we F'd up on this one, so let's pray for the best type of game. *Cough* Aliens Colonial Marines *Cough* I thought
    BRA-Freakin-VO!

I thought it'd suck for sure due to the fact that no critics could even review it until, basically, launch day, and due to the fact that it was made by the same peeps that made the sluggish, boring, tedious Dead Island series.

This is a TRUE zombie game. A true survival game. Just when I thought nobody could make a fresh take on the genre, I'm blown away by this masterpiece. How smart were they. They stuck the finger to all the negative nancy's out there by creating a game very much worthy of having awesome reviews released a month early, but holding it back and letting the public form their own opinion before it gets tainted by professional critics paid to give good scores or bad scores.

Play the game without reading a professional review and you'll be pleasantly reminded what a true video game is all about. This is the birth of a new franchise, re-imaging of the survival horror genre, married with slick action adventure with RPG elements. I don't know how long this game is, but it keeps upping the the fun around every corner that I pray that it goes on for 100 hours (At least). TOTALLY worth the price!
    This is a gamers dream. I can't wait for the sequel.... and I haven't played all the way through! This is the first game that I've reviewed without completing it all the way yet. That's saying something.

I love being wrong in times like this and I love taking a risk and having it pay off. Seriously WB and interactive, crowd fund the next one and let's get it rolling.
  61. Jan 28, 2015
    Great game! Great ambiance! Great gameplay! The night really scary! Multiplayer mode is great fun! If you like zombie game, open world, play this game!
  62. Jan 29, 2015
    This is one of the best zombie games i have ever played. it has all the things you need in a zombie game horror and intense situations that you can barley squeeze out of.
  63. Feb 11, 2015
    I've just finished it in about 65 hours. It was a fun and fantastic trip. An awesome mixing between a way better Dead Island, Mirror's Edge and Far Cry. There are plenty of things to do, the gameplay is pretty smooth, the level design is brilliant, sound and musics are really nice, the graphics are pretty good, the crafting is a blast, the abilities you unlock rocks, the 1st map is great,I've just finished it in about 65 hours. It was a fun and fantastic trip. An awesome mixing between a way better Dead Island, Mirror's Edge and Far Cry. There are plenty of things to do, the gameplay is pretty smooth, the level design is brilliant, sound and musics are really nice, the graphics are pretty good, the crafting is a blast, the abilities you unlock rocks, the 1st map is great, the 2nd one is amazing ... If you like games with zombies, this is the one you should play. I wasn't expecting much of it, but it was a sweet surprise. Expand
  64. Jan 29, 2015
    Best game i've ever played hands down. It's completely impeccable. Amazing graphics, amazing game play, zero bugs, innovating, and fun. 1 hour into the game I already decided it was my favorite game. Now i'm 7 hours in and it is completely blowing my mind how this game is still getting cooler. Definite sleeper on my radar. I had no idea it would be this good.
  65. Feb 4, 2015
    This is one of the better zombie games I've yet to play.It has a good mix of fun, strategy and some frightening and tense moments. It's deff a game I would recommend to anybody to pick up and try. Very good buy.
  66. Feb 18, 2015
    Crap. Utter and complete crap. The combat system is a complete joke. When faced with zombies for the first time, it takes 6-10 hits with a weapon to kill one. I'm told that "it gets better after a couple hours." That's bullcrap. You shouldn't have to spend 2 minutes to kill a single freaking zombie. The characters (or, the ones I saw for the 2 hours I played it) are poorly written, boringCrap. Utter and complete crap. The combat system is a complete joke. When faced with zombies for the first time, it takes 6-10 hits with a weapon to kill one. I'm told that "it gets better after a couple hours." That's bullcrap. You shouldn't have to spend 2 minutes to kill a single freaking zombie. The characters (or, the ones I saw for the 2 hours I played it) are poorly written, boring sacks of nothing.
    The thing the game is freaking marketed toward, the parkour system, is THE WORST FIRST PERSON MOVEMENT SYSTEM EVERY IMPLEMENTED EVER. This makes Mirror's Edge look amazing by comparison. It doesn't help its case that the controls are awkward and clunky. I've never quit a game so fast. This thing is crap. Don't waste your time and money.
  67. Feb 10, 2015
    Not the worst game ever, but the controls and sensitivity really blew this game for me. I still and not able to understand why consoles will not allow you to remap your button schematics to what you want. I am also sure they patched it, still the first two days I played I had a huge amount of lock ups a crashes. Man villain was flat, the drug sequences were out of Far Cry.. I hope to seeNot the worst game ever, but the controls and sensitivity really blew this game for me. I still and not able to understand why consoles will not allow you to remap your button schematics to what you want. I am also sure they patched it, still the first two days I played I had a huge amount of lock ups a crashes. Man villain was flat, the drug sequences were out of Far Cry.. I hope to see more out of a sequel but I am not expecting much. Expand
  68. Feb 6, 2015
    shi*ist game ever has the most gliches and bugs of any game i have ever played. this game is just a piece of shi* the only good part is getting my 50GB back
  69. Jan 29, 2015
    Me and my friend both purchased this game only knowing it had similarity to Dead Island. Not only is it 4x better but it literally gets your heart racing. The fun factor is there and the graphics also help create an amazing world. The AI is clumsy but it is only in certain parts, it seems like this was on purpose and it makes the game even better! Weapons are incredible and the story isMe and my friend both purchased this game only knowing it had similarity to Dead Island. Not only is it 4x better but it literally gets your heart racing. The fun factor is there and the graphics also help create an amazing world. The AI is clumsy but it is only in certain parts, it seems like this was on purpose and it makes the game even better! Weapons are incredible and the story is great so far. Definitely lived up to the hype. Buy it if you like zombie games and survive the night Expand
  70. Feb 6, 2015
    Horrible game play, always impairing your vision, Climbing just to make you climb, Slows down alot.. Just boring. When you die they spawn you far from where you were at. Game companies always focus on Graphics and not game play.
  71. Jan 30, 2015
    I was having fun with the game but there is a game-breaking bug that wipes all inventory blueprints and player skills. Don't release a game with a game-breaking bug have open betas or delay the game. This bug comes from something as critical as sleeping auto saving over your last character with a fresh one and this game has no manual save. How did this get past everything to the final gameI was having fun with the game but there is a game-breaking bug that wipes all inventory blueprints and player skills. Don't release a game with a game-breaking bug have open betas or delay the game. This bug comes from something as critical as sleeping auto saving over your last character with a fresh one and this game has no manual save. How did this get past everything to the final game and giving all your items and skills back seems highly unlikely. This isn't the type of game which you wouldn't mind doing all that again so all I have left to say is "Can I get my money back." Expand
  72. Feb 1, 2015
    Edit:

This game wipes progress due to a game save issue. Any fun you may have had will be wiped. As there is no 'manual save' you may play some 8 - 10 or 30 hours and not realise it NEVER SAVED, or write over your save. So when you return you could be back at the start.There's no incentive to play the game again as you can't be sure it won't do this again. Techland know about it..
    Edit:

This game wipes progress due to a game save issue.

Techland know about it.. Will they give us free Live Gold like we got for Master Chief?

Overall Dying Light is good fun.

I've played 8 - 10 hours. Progress tells me I've completed 5%. The strong points of the game are: it's pretty, especially the 'vistas' as you parkour. It can be very intense at night with the zombies in chase. The story, although generic, is fine. The weapons are ok, traps entertaining. Parkour is fun...

The immediate issue I noticed was the obvious repetition of design and graphics. 5 or 6 or even more buildings in a row with identical interiors. Same dead zombie in the same corner in each house. Inside the buses is almost always the same, same loot drops etc. Couple this with generic side missions and it's off putting. I suspect that they cut corners to save time? I guess many comparable open world games you can't enter the buildings or interact with their contents.

There's only a (small) set list of zombie models. Rather like the buildings, it contributes to blandness.

The climbing sucks... You frequently miss grab points, at least before ranking up a bit. The controls are a bit clumsy however some alternate control schemes feel better, I got used to the default scheme before changing but another few hours will be fine. To be fair it would hard to construct a visually and mechanically pleasing parkour experience in first person, Dying Light does an good job of this.

Most of the content in this game you have probably played elsewhere.
    As a hybrid of Dead rising 3, assassins creed unity... It's probably inferior to both, although it's better looking. Being first person changes the feel significantly compared to these games.

In hindsight I'd definitely still buy Dying Light.. Maybe not for $99aud.
  73. Feb 9, 2015
    Dying Light is polished, really fun, immersive and beautiful to look at. Honestly I'm totally baffled by the press scores - IMO this is at least a low-mid 80's game (if not higher). I've encountered zero bugs or glitches of any kind. Audio is just amazing, parkour is fluid and really fun (once you get used to it) and the zombies are a blast to avoid/fight etc. Great voice acting too andDying Light is polished, really fun, immersive and beautiful to look at. Honestly I'm totally baffled by the press scores - IMO this is at least a low-mid 80's game (if not higher). I've encountered zero bugs or glitches of any kind. Audio is just amazing, parkour is fluid and really fun (once you get used to it) and the zombies are a blast to avoid/fight etc. Great voice acting too and the story is just fine for a zombie game. Highly recommended to fans of the genre.

By the way, I've seen some complaints about lack of guns or poor weapon customization, stuff like that. Thing is, this game isn't about guns. To me it's not a FPS at all actually. Loud noises of any kind bring virals and/or fast running deadly zombies. I actually view it more of a stealth/avoidance game with the added bonus that you still get to kill a lot of zombies in very fun ways. My weapons of choice are an upgraded meat cleaver and Molotov cocktails. With the occasional burning throwing star thrown in. I rarely use the guns, except to fight other humans when I know there aren't virals nearby.

A player should only rarely be grabbed by a zombie because you should almost never actually be on the street. I think I spend almost all my time above ground, on roofs, signs, rails, whatever elevated position is available.
  74. Apr 16, 2015
    Thoroughly enjoyed the game, though I must say there are times it gets a bit repetitive. Other than that, the game was lengthy enough to be a challenge to complete, and Rais is a villain worth getting to the end of the game in order to see his imminent demise. Decent story, not as enjoyable as "Dead Island", but certainly looks a lot better.
  75. Feb 23, 2016
    Not just another zombie game
    dying light is an open world rpg style game from the developer of the original dead island and it shows dead island is very cartoony compared to the more mature toned Dying Light This is a much grittier game that takes itself much more seriously you’re an undercover agent named Kyle Crane sent to infiltrate a quarantine zone as soon as you get
    Not just another zombie game
    dead island is very cartoony compared to the more mature toned Dying Light
    This is a much grittier game that takes itself much more seriously
    as soon as you get there you see that the place is crawling with zombies and other survivors
    you’re instantly bit and infected
    you’re rescued by a woman named jade and she takes you back to the tower because she trusts you can help the remaining survivors,
    And to get into their good graces this is exactly what you do..
    You’re an errand boy...
    you do all of the tough tasks that others are afraid or too weak to do...
    As soon as you’re healed up you’re taught how to do parkour and this unlike in Dead Island gives you the opportunity to travel through the roof tops assassins’ creed style….
    Unfortunately though, the parquor system isn’t the greatest….
    There is no flow to it, and this lack of flow really stands out towards the end that I won’t show to prevent spoiler, but unlike in assassins creed, if you don’t stop before you make a leap, your character is going to do a half jump and fall to his death,
    This no flow needs fixed for a sequel, and please let us climb down…
    jumping down while I grab ledges is a little too risky for my taste…
    awkward parquor asside, I was in love with the game for the first few hours, I loved exploring the city and scavenging for weapons and items to craft better weapons but dying light is missing the magic dead island had for me
    While dying light is the 2nd most believable zombie games I’ve played since the last of us,
    nothing about this world feels real or previously lived in… the world in dying light feels insanely generic
    There’s no moments, unless I overlooked them where you see a zombie stuck in the loop of a past life
    sure some will be locked in the bathroom in houses but they just feel like a gamey jump scare not like they belong there..not like they once lived in the house youre going through
    There is no human left in these zombies, ultimately turning them into a nuisance rather than a victim of their circumstances like dead island or even tell tales the walking dead does near perfectly
    It would’ve been so much better for the tone they set out to hit if there was a dilemma or struggle to kill
    Maybe if it were more about panicking humans than just a bunch of zombies…
    Because this really is just completing tasks while zombies bother you
    that’s it
    And it’s a shame…
    Theres so much potential here and it becomes repetitive too fast
    I was so impressed with how difficult the zombies seemed in this game.. id try my hardest to avoid conflict with them, even with insanely powerful weapons…
    There are random side quests and side activities that pop up on the screen where you can help survivors or take supplies from the rival gang..
    You can even use the zombies to attack rival enemies for you by throwing fire crackers to attract them, or just getting them to chase you..
    Helping npcs, climbing buildings, and killing enemies all level up a different skills,
    You have a survivor, agility, and and power skill tree,
    Leveling up can get you awesome perks like added health, learning how to use traps in the city, taking less damage from falls.. and at night all of your xp earned is double..
    Except for one little problem
    At night zombies are on steroids especially the volatiles
    The zombies at night are fast, powerful, they can climb and chase after you,
    It’s a thrill to try and make it to a safe spot before you’re killed and sleep til morning
    Or you can stay out at night and test your luck…
    About 50 percent of the way through the story though dying light kind of turns into more of a first person shooter and this is really where the game starts to fall apart..
    I was so happy thinking, they got it right this time.. one giant city for me to explore.. they didn’t make the dead island mistake of making me go to different places
    Wrong
    In the back of my mind while playing I was thinking..
    If they dare send me to the sewers like every zombie game in existence does…
    and guess what
    they did….
    Just like in Dead Island they send you through the sewers and you end up in what I’m convinced is the exact same place you end up in in Dead Island... I definitely got smacked with some dejavu
    But you end up in a more crowded spot in the city, that’s just no fun….at all…
    I didn’t have even the slightest urge to explore this section…
    and worst of all, you cant fast travel through these 2 spots I understand the lack of fast travel in the actual city The fun of the game is making it back before the light dies. .but at least let me hop back and forth between the 2 sections of the city… “I hate sewers It’s so disappointing how predictable dying light ended up being... at least progression wise… The actual story was throwing me all over the
  76. Feb 5, 2015
    I was ever so addicted to this game in the beginning, but once you get near the end of the game, it becomes very boring and less surprising. I have already beat the game and the game doesn't last as long as you think. The weapons customization was poor and the character customization was horrible too. Not only did this game upset me, but it left me doing repetitive things over and overI was ever so addicted to this game in the beginning, but once you get near the end of the game, it becomes very boring and less surprising. I have already beat the game and the game doesn't last as long as you think. The weapons customization was poor and the character customization was horrible too. Not only did this game upset me, but it left me doing repetitive things over and over again. At most I would give it a 7. The parkour often glitched and the constant grabbing by the zombies made this game very annoying. Half-way through the game, I was wondering what the hell the developers were working on during the development of this game. Hopefully the DLC pays off because this game didn't meet my expectations. The only reason I would ever play it again is if my friends wanted to play co-op.

There were only 2-4 types of each gun but the only difference was the damage and I was expecting a wider variety of guns. I think it is sad that the developers only managed to create 3-4 different guns in a zombie game. We were given 2 models of pistols, 1 model of AR's, and only 1 shotgun. How can a game lead a game up to release date with only 4 guns??? Even the weapon customization is horrible and easy to find materials to make weapons. Even most of the drops you pick up around the world consist of only Alcohol, metal gears, and rubbish that barely helps with anything. If they would have managed to created different models of guns and better weapon customization overall, this game wouldn't be so disappointing. I have been waiting for this game for a long time, and I left with some regret. Hopefully Dead Island 2 is a great game and can capitalize on this games mistakes.

The story line is amazing but the open-world left me often bored. You even come across 3-4 zombies with the same skin color and clothing as well. If you are going to make a zombie game, take time to make atleast 100 different models, it cant be that hard but time worthy. This game was advertised as a survival game, it's not, it consist of mainly campaign missions. I feel they could have done so much more with this game. Not only the customization but the campaign could have been longer. The skill points were interesting, but there were only a few that I actually considered even using and most weren't even needed at all. If they would have focused on the more important things on the game and less on the others, the game would have been more enjoyable.

I wish they would have waited another year to develop this damn game.

Dying Light is a great title! When dark arrives, atleast in the beginning of the game with poor weapons, don't attempt going outside.

The graphics are amazing!

I rate 6 because this game was awfully advertised and probably left people in disappointment.

Can't wait until the DLC and future updates.

I give this a very LOW replay score, because even getting it just a week ago, I am already bored of this overhyped game.
  77. Feb 8, 2016
    I had forgotten just how much FUN to play, "Dying Light is". The only let down in this game are the poor graphics such as the trees and fauna and water and lakes in areas as well although the lighting effects are very good. The story is engaging with plenty of HUMOUR and the main character is even more sarcastic than before and the voice acting is also very good. The main 3 improvementsI had forgotten just how much FUN to play, "Dying Light is". The only let down in this game are the poor graphics such as the trees and fauna and water and lakes in areas as well although the lighting effects are very good. The story is engaging with plenty of HUMOUR and the main character is even more sarcastic than before and the voice acting is also very good. The main 3 improvements in "THE FOLLOWING" are as follows; 1. The addition of buggy which handles very well that has weapons such as a flame thrower and can also be driven in coop. 2.The additions of new hand held weapons such as a cross bow and sub machine gun. 3.A larger map almost twice the size of the original which was generous and adequate in size in the main game as it was. The game & movement mechanics are FLUENT and FLAWLESS. Only 2 hours into The FOLLOWING and I can see many FUN FILLED HOURS AHEAD especially in coop as there's even more FUN & FRIGHTS to be had. You'll love this especially if you are new to the game. A BIG 9/10 for me !!!! Expand
  78. Mar 21, 2015
    Dying Light is a decent game, and it’s fun. I haven’t had this much enjoyment playing a new title since Shadow of Mordor. That being said, the zombie obsession is getting a bit tired, and Techland doesn’t bring us anything new. Despite its fun factor, there are many glaring technical problems with Dying Light that hold it back from greatness.

When done right, zombie genocide brings

When done right, zombie genocide brings about frenzied gameplay that doesn’t make sense in typical settings. But it has to be done right. There’s a bunch of reasons so many people still play Left 4 Dead. It’s chaotic, creepy, and makes teamwork essential. More importantly, L4D is a polished, lean experience that’s satisfying without being barebones. Less is more truly applies here.

Although Dying Light highlights teamwork, it lacks polish. Instead, it crams in a bunch of content. Fortunately, the developers get a few things right. Foremost, DL allows players to kill zombies all day every day. I spent the first 10 hours slaying hordes of grotesque creatures without progressing thru the story. Completing missions is required to unlock new creatures and better items, but the pacing is definitely casual. Even better, unlike Far Cry 4, friends can help each other complete the main story.

Second, DL trades creepy for urban. The city of Harran is a gritty shanty town undergoing urbanization. Techland juxtaposes highways and skyscrapers against dirt roads and huts. My initial reaction was “Wow, this would make an awesome Battlefield map”. DL’s map design will definitely appeal to both zombie fanatics and fps gamers in equal measures. Parkour adds verticality. But things get scary at night. Don’t venture out alone after dark. Period.

Lastly, players are rewarded for playing in the sandbox. Gamers who stick only to the missions will miss out. Looting and exploration yield rewards, such as awesome weapons. Players can share weapons by dropping them. I’ve done this to help new players. On the downside, DL offers so much stuff that players can spend more time looting than anything else. Thorough players will end up with mountains of inventory since everything respawns. No point in being frugal.

So what’s wrong with the game? Most noticeably, screen tearing—It’s the worst I’ve seen on Xbox One. Despite DL’s crisps visuals and vibrant colors, the tearing is utterly distracting and mars the experience.
    Then there’s the awful lag. Game states rarely sync up when playing co-op. So 4 different players often kill the same zombie, and one player may kill a single zombie several times. On many occasions my character mutilated a zombie only to witness it rise up with all its limbs intact. Zombies teleport too. That’s some scary #^@#.

DL’s lag has a sinister side tho. During lag spikes, players will die, fall thru the map, or other bizarre crap. It’s annoying because it happens once during any prolonged session. At times, the lag spikes create outlandishly comical moments. It’s amazing how next gen games are plagued with so many connectivity problems.

The graphical problems and persistent lag point to poor optimization. Yet, DL’s problems don’t end there. Players are losing their save files. Players can’t join their friends’ games. Sound cuts out. Dialogue cuts out. Fast traveling is broken. Constant pop ups break the immersion. And the list goes on…

DL’s combat is imprecise. It’s like playing Skyrim: Zombies Edition. Jumping and running attacks are too often ineffectual. On screen commands prompt players to initiate executions, but the game doesn’t always react accordingly. And players must be in exact positions for them to appear. Good luck doing that while being mobbed.

The unintuitive control scheme adds to this problem. Players must hit the right bumper to jump, not “A”. Some buttons control multiple actions. For example, players hit “X” to search, but “X” can also remotely detonate traps and executes enemies. All too often I’ve seen players injure teammates because traps activated when they were searching loot. The parkour elements work better, but nothing to write home about.

DL manages system resources poorly. Zombies appear out of thin air. Loot disappears if there’s too much action. And zombies are motionless unless players are close. I’ve thrown explosives into clusters of zombies and they remained still. They don’t respond to traps. So thinning out zombies from afar isn’t effective.

The conclusion? Technically speaking DL is a beta. It has problem gamers shouldn’t be seeing in 2015. Plus, DL offers nothing new. The copy/paste fetch quests become tedious. But Far Cry 4 blew its chances of being the co-op champ on next gen consoles, and DL fills that void. Despite the long list of glaring flaws, DL is fun. Additionally, I’ve experienced a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. And this enjoyment is due in large part to the current selection of lackluster shooters. But I still wholeheartedly recommend DL. I just wish Techland created a beefier engine for it.
  79. Mar 21, 2015
    The game gets melee combat just right the climbing and traversing roof tops is natural while the graphic and music are not amazing the game is good and the story is not bad
  80. Feb 20, 2015
    This is a dead island, only better. The mirror's edge style first-person parkour makes it very easy to escape horde of zombies or move to the objective. But it is fun to bash the brains of the undead. The special zombies are what you seen for far from pretty much every zombie games you have played; fast ones, ones that shoots poison, big and though ones, and the deadly ones. The craftingThis is a dead island, only better. The mirror's edge style first-person parkour makes it very easy to escape horde of zombies or move to the objective. But it is fun to bash the brains of the undead. The special zombies are what you seen for far from pretty much every zombie games you have played; fast ones, ones that shoots poison, big and though ones, and the deadly ones. The crafting is nice, but they are limited to rare blueprints you find through out the game. I can't help but to feel the need for custom crafting where I get to experiment what combo makes what. There is no fast travel either. Although I said parkour is fun, it can get repetitive and boring.

As for the story.......It kinda sucks. I mean, all the deaths, twists, and pretty much everything are cliche.

Co-op is really fun. It's great to jump around with your friends and hear one of them scream because a zombie got him.

Conclusion: It's another case of gameplay over story.
  81. Feb 16, 2015
    Dying Light is True Open World Co Op Game unlike Outdated Far Cry 4

Dying Light Pros: Co Op once First Mission Finshed afterward Co Op for Good. Pros: 4 Player Online Co Op once First Mission Finshed afterward Co Op for Good. Pros: Co Op for both Side Mission and Story Mission. Con: No Fast Trave to Saferoom. Outdated Far Cry 4 Cons: No Co Op until Beaten 3/4 Game. Cons: No Co
    Dying Light is True Open World Co Op Game unlike Outdated Far Cry 4

Dying Light
    Pros: Co Op once First Mission Finshed afterward Co Op for Good.
    Pros: Co Op for both Side Mission and Story Mission.
    Con: No Fast Trave to Saferoom.

Outdated Far Cry 4
    Cons: No Co Op until Beaten 3/4 Game.
    Cons: No Co Op for both Side Mission and Story Mission.
    Cons: Only 2 Player Co Op.
  82. May 24, 2016
    Dying light is the best zombie game I have ever played. The story is well paced, and the voice acting is top notch. In regards to gameplay, everything is fluid and fast. This can be a very hard game, but it is fair.
  83. Mar 22, 2015
    If Techland hadn't been squeezed so much by Deep Silver when making Dead Island, I do believe Dead Island would of been as good as this. Dying Light is a fantastic game, and don't let any body tell you different! The graphics and gameplay are what stands out the most to me, but I think it has more to offer than that.
    There is so much to offers here, it's hard to break it all down. To give
    There is so much to offers here, it's hard to break it all down. To give you an idea of how the game plays you can compare it to a few games that Dying Light unashamedly poaches from, Far Cry 4, Mirrors Edge & Dead Island (obviously). The core mechanics are very much like those games it's hard not to compare this to them, but dying lights variety makes it so much fun to play. The Graphics are great, all though I wouldn't say it's next Gen, but looks great all the same. The meele combat is solid and there is a great variety of zombie bashing weapons which all can be upgraded and modified. The RPG elements are great and can give you real sense of progression, and without spoiling anything, there is one particular character upgrade you get later on in the game that makes the game even more fun, but I won't spoil that here.
    The enemies are great and there is quite a variety, but you can't shake the feeling you have seen them before, just reskinned variations of other enemy types you've seen in this type of game before.
    In Harran there is so much to do and what I really think is a breath of fresh air is that fact this is quite RPG like and you feel a real sense of progression. But what I think I like most about the RPG element is the side quests. Too often these days we find side quests a chore, go to point A and collect this and then point B to bring it back yadda yadda yadda. What I think Dyling light does better with these dude quests is that they feel relevant to the story and yes, fundamentally there are a few of the fetch and bring back quests, but they are all so interesting to do as the game sets you up in some exciting scenarios. It reminds me of how interesting Fallout 3's side quests were.
    Last but not least, survival horror is well implemented on the game, there have been quite a few moments where the game has made me jump out of my skin, with its dark atmospheric tone, but nothing gets the nerves racked more than when you are out at night! Oh boy do things dramatically change when it's night, even when you are powered up to the max, taking on the volatiles head on is not recommended, they will batter you relentlessly chase you, and there is a neat button press that lets you look behind you when sprinting. When you do that, take it from me, it's a heart stopping moment when you see one is right behind you!
    On a final note I would say don't be put off by people comparing it to dead island, this is so much better and what Dead Isksnd should of been all along.

Positives:
    Great game mechanics, keeps the game fresh
    Decent side quests that give you a deeper feel of the story.
    Fantastic skill tree RPG elements.
    Lots & lots to do without things feeling stale
    Solid melee combat
    Gloriously gory
    True sense of dread when night comes

Negatives;
    Maybe a little too tricky at night
    No fast travel ( although it's better to explore)
    Enemies could of had more variety in appearance, a lot of zombies are identical

Overall I give the game a 9, although there is nothing ground breaking in terms of originality, what it does do is to give you a lot of fun and solid gameplay that doesn't get boring thanks the the different styles of gameplay and attention to detail that Techland put in.

Honest and unbiased reviews by Steelselecta
  84. Mar 3, 2015
    This game is simply brilliant! There is nothing like this, a parkour zombie apocalypse. The fun never ends in this game as you complete missions and side missions, You need to give it a try no matter what.
    GOOD NIGHT, GOOD LUCK!
  85. Mar 6, 2015
    I was skeptical about this game but after spending hours with it, I can honestly say that I had way more fun with it than I ever expected. I've spent most of my time playing via co op with a friend which IMO, is the best way to play but even if I had spent most of my time playing via single player, my opinion wouldn't change all that much.

If you liked Dead Island (which I thoroughly

If you liked Dead Island (which I thoroughly enjoyed), there is no doubt you'll have fun with this game.
  86. Feb 11, 2015
    First off i will say that I just picked this game up a week ago. Im 15% through the story and a several hours spent exploring. This game plays just like Dead Island, except the game is more technically polished overall. Keep in mind I have not experienced any glitches so far in the game. It is more challenging than Dead Island in many ways. Money is not as abundant unless you sellFirst off i will say that I just picked this game up a week ago. Im 15% through the story and a several hours spent exploring. This game plays just like Dead Island, except the game is more technically polished overall. Keep in mind I have not experienced any glitches so far in the game. It is more challenging than Dead Island in many ways. Money is not as abundant unless you sell everything all the time, your weapons will eventually break for good as each one can only be repaired so many times. The free running is a fun element to add to a zombie game as Dead Island's jump mechanic was about as great as Fallout 3's. The weapon mods are there in abundance and some are quite entertaining, there are also perks you can add to your weapons to make them last longer, hit hard, set **** on fire etc...... The side quests, so far, do not seem to be as repetitive as Dead Island, that also remains to be seen. The story so far is much better than Dead Island, at least this one makes an good effort at building one. The night time atmosphere is fantastic. At a low level it is almost certain death to be out at night. However the game rewards you for surviving at night, buy giving you extra experience towards all skill trees. It is actually worth it if you are able to survive.
    Now for the negatives, we all know every game has them. The first thing i noticed when playing the game is one of the first large groups of zombies that i encountered, 3 of them were identical in clothing and looked the same. They should have taken the time to add more zombie character models. I have seen this a couple times but not too often. Sometimes in the act of swinging a weapon, the zombies seem to slide past your attack to bite you anyway. This, while frustrating at times, was not the direct cause of most of my deaths. They should have added a greater variety of guns to the game. There are handguns, assault rifles, and shotguns. Truth be told there are fewer than 10 different guns. I say that only because the variance in the damage from gun to gun(within the same type) is so minimal that even rare guns dont really seem that special when you have the same gun at a lower level. There are only 50 or so points of damage difference between my normal double barrel and the rare one i just found. These are the things that plagued me the most as far as negatives.
    Overall the game is harder than Dead Island. Zombies do not go down as easy until you start getting better weapons and upgrading them at higher levels. Even then it is still easy to get overwhelmed if you are not paying attention. Dying Light polishes the core mechanics of Dead Island while adding a few of its own and helping to expand on your zombie killing needs.
  87. Feb 8, 2015
    I have been playing the game for over a week and am around 38% through the campaign. This has been a game I have been truly enjoying. The story is really quite good, and enjoyable and so far the plot twists that are there are surprising and welcomed.
    Once you get a hang of the control system it feels good, I do wish there was more of an ability to bind your own buttons. For example the parkour interaction to A and kick to the left trigger, and have the item use on the left bumper as I often find that to be slightly awkward. But, not a deal breaker at all.
    The game looks marvelous and I am really taken back, for the first time in many many games with the integration of the soundtrack which really enhances the game play. All in all great so far, will absolutely be completing the game and diving into the multiplayer side which I have yet to do.
  88. Feb 8, 2015
    Let me just tell you this first, this game is amazing. Fluid controls and gameplay and amazing graphics. Definitely tops most of the zombie games I have played. If you like survival horror or zombie games, I recommend that you pick this up immediately. For $60, this game is a must have. Also if you liked Dead Island, this is even funnier and has been improved in every way.
  89. May 30, 2015
    I love this game. The combat is excellent, the world is large and full of things to do and places to explore, and the graphics are gorgeous. I recommend this game to fans of Mirror's Edge and Left for Dead, because this game is fantastic.
  90. Feb 27, 2015
    This game one one on my radar from the first screenshots over a year ago.Developed from the same team who developed Dead Island. This game feels very much like an expanded version of the same. Even with all Dead Islands flaws I still loved it. The same goes for this game.

I really liked the pace of the game but after awhile once you have upgraded your skills you become a tank and the game feels like your have the Cheats turned on. After beating the game it unlocks a New Game + which even with your Tank Character is not impossible but more of a challenge.

There are 52 Side Missions some are Awesome some are not Noteworthy at all. While some are needed to continue the story most are not, and some lead to cooler stuff, weapons, or items.

Again the Season Pass so far as of 2-27-2015 is a bust and the first DLC release was just 2 Quarantine Zones which took about 8 minutes each to complete.

The game has some issues when playing with others. A lot of the bugs come from the fact it registers you as doing said mission if you join a friends game and he completes it with you. But from an achievement stand point does not give you credit. This requires you to remember which mission restart either a new game or New Game + to redo those missions to get credit.

All Side Missions and All Collectibles seem to be buggy in general. As stated above you must replay to get credit for side missions you may have done in Co-Op. Collectibles can more easily be fixed by just starting a new game and collecting already collected items to get % increase toward achievement. I had 67/67 collectibles and only 88% toward achievement. After I beat game started New Game at Last Checkpoint and just grabbed items next to Quartermaster at Tower to increase % toward achievement. Just rinsed and repeated.

If you also have to much in Private Stash and on Personal Backpack it might delete your inventory either completely or just certain items. So on those missions your items are taken from you do not restore your items. go back into Private Stash and select each Item you want to get back to avoid this issue.
  91. Mar 2, 2015
    Haven't really got into many games that much as i believe I've grown out of them, but this is something else! Combat could be better hence the 8/10 but i'm still early in the game. As you level up your agility improves giving you more Parkour to do.

I love how you genuinely have to scavenge to survive! If you're looking for something you can get stuck in to then get this! But if you're just after a zombie hacker then don't bother as you'll be dead easy and quickly in the early stages at least.
  92. Mar 2, 2015
    I like this game because the story line is fantastic and I really enjoyed playing it the missions where hard to get use to but I enjoyed playing through the game .
    The game graphics kept on lagging and bugging out at times so the graphics wasn’t great if the graphics improved it would be my favourite game .
    The online multiplayer is very hard to get use to I couldn’t work out what to do so I didn’t like playing it online but all the other aspects to the game are fantastic
  93. Mar 9, 2015
    Better than Dead Island! I love zombie games and movies. And this game blow your mind away! I play it over 30 hours and now, I must say anything about it.

It has a good movement (I think, people who doesn't fit it, they have 2 left hands :D). It is very gory. The story is OK ( what do you expect from a zombie game?) The technic is superb! Beautiful little details everywhere. From

It is very gory.
    The story is OK ( what do you expect from a zombie game?)
    The technic is superb! Beautiful little details everywhere.
    From start up, it has a nice feeling. You are in the game!
    The German synchro is also good.

- The fighting system is a little bit irritating, a block (without a shield) would be appropriate.

So, I can say, it makes more fun than Dead Island and Dead Rising for me.
  94. Mar 18, 2015
    One of the very few gems so far on the new console platforms. Dying light is one of the only zombie titles that introduces it own original game play style (cant compare it to other games) the combat is smooth as butter, and the realism of how detailed the gore is is gut wrenching brilliance. story is also pretty good to, yeah starts of kind of 'meh' but the characters can get pretty clicheOne of the very few gems so far on the new console platforms. Dying light is one of the only zombie titles that introduces it own original game play style (cant compare it to other games) the combat is smooth as butter, and the realism of how detailed the gore is is gut wrenching brilliance. story is also pretty good to, yeah starts of kind of 'meh' but the characters can get pretty cliche (the leader that always has a explosive temper, the young prickish kid, and the the character who "try's his or HER best" but makes the dumbest decisions without giving them-self a second to think about it. though they did a good job on making the most bad ass antagonist that i can only say is like a more serious Vaas in FarCry 3. so when i first played it i was already scared of the zombies but quickly got over it, then i thought "why is this a horror game" well lets say i have never screamed like a girl as much as i did when it was my 1st time stuck outside at night. during dusk you will get 2 warnings on your radio saying "night is about to come seek shelter immediately" (TAKE THE WARNINGS SERIOUSLY) because at night the game turns into a mix of Amnesia/Assassins Creed. very scary. though the reason this is a 9 is because there are alot of ways this can be improved. 1.wish it would rain during the day more
    2.wish outfits had stat effects
    3.be the zombie mode is a bit more fair to the humans
    4.more types of weather(rain,monsoon,fog,thunder)
    5.gun mods (scopes,suppressors,ammunition)
    6.more variety in models for Raises guys
    7.small factions that opens new skill trees

other than that amazing game that will last you a long time
  95. Mar 20, 2015
    The player takes control of Kyle Crane; an undercover operative working for an organisation known as The Global Relief Effort. Crane is sent to infiltrate the quarantine zone in the city of Harran to retrieve a sensitive file in the possession of a political figure turned slum warlord; Rais. The game is arguably spread rather thin in terms of narrative with many characters owning their ownThe player takes control of Kyle Crane; an undercover operative working for an organisation known as The Global Relief Effort. Crane is sent to infiltrate the quarantine zone in the city of Harran to retrieve a sensitive file in the possession of a political figure turned slum warlord; Rais. The game is arguably spread rather thin in terms of narrative with many characters owning their own story arcs. This creates depth in the world, showing how multiple characters have their own agendas and motivations, and adds to the games immersion and realism. However this multitude of story arcs is also a distraction from the main narrative, striving more for gameplay hours over one fully explored and developed narrative focusing on a single character. Additionally, the absence of any actual likeable characters makes it difficult to invest in these story arcs, and they instead feel like another pass-time for the player until Rais pops up again and reminds you what you're actually there for. On the other hand, the moments where Rais is on-screen are fairly exciting, and after failing to kill him off multiple times, the game does quite well in building up to the final encounter

The combat in the game has a strong emphasis on melee weapons, which you'll use to fend off the stereotypical zombie types (spitters, runners etc). The undead aren't the only enemies the player will face within Harran, there are also militia-type enemies that are under Rais' control, and random encounter hostile survivor attacks. You can buy and scavenge an interestingly large variety - from machetes to hammers to medieval long swords. The start of the game is slightly grueling, beating even the weakest zombies to death takes two recharges of a stamina bar - hardly what you'd expect from a trained freerunning agent. The melee weapons can be customised in a variety of ways. This may sound interesting to begin with, but wait until it detaches you from reality and you start to question how exactly duck-taping a battery to the end of a hammer turns you into Thor, Norse God of thunder. However, despite the break in immersion, decapitating a zombie with a flaming hatchet is fun and so it gets let off, if that is all Dying Light is trying to be.

The parkour is well-integrated within the combat, being able to unlock skills from three individual trees which provides you with new weapons in your arsenal, for example vaulting over the infected, and tackling your way through crowds. These upgrades were fairly well executed and when remembered, could be made good use of. However, I was disappointed to learn that I couldn't unlock the best upgrade of each tree until I had first gained enough experience to gain the abilities on each individual branch, even if I didn't see myself making much use of them. Additionally, I found myself raising my eye multiple times due to the parkour, when I'd fall short of the ledge I was jumping to and be teleported atop it moments after, when the game realised what I was actually trying to do. Apart from that, it felt good to run, jump, and climb my way through playable areas that lent themselves well to the game mechanic. After a few hours of playtime and becoming adept and recognising what I could and couldn't do, I almost reached a point in which I became elegant or graceful in my performance.

Dying Light adds another layer to the world by having a day-night cycle. It adheres to the trope of more powerful enemies spawning at night, and advises players to sleep in one of the many safe zones dotted throughout Harran. If you find yourself unable to get to one of those safe zones, you may be spotted by a powerful infected and activate a pursuit. When this happens, you'll be chased by the undead throughout the city until you lose them, having to make use of your parkour practice and the multiple "traps" that have been set up in the environment.

Finally, Dying Light offers a multiplayer experience called "Be the Zombie" in which you'll either invade someone's single player campaign as a Hunter or join other humans to co-operate in destroying Volatile nests marked on your mini-map. I found playing as the zombie wildly unbalanced, having your energy easily drained by UV flashlights and being slaughtered in only a few hits. What I came to realise was that you'd have to have played as the zombie for a considerable amount of time and unlocked almost your entire set of skills before even being able to put up a fight against two humans, let alone four at one time. Despite this, the multiplayer is actually enjoyable and unique in it's presentation. The speed and addition of tentacles that work like a grappling hook allow you to become even more adept at traversing the city than your average human and it brought me joy to zip around overhead and if I got lucky, pounce on unsuspecting players.

Overall, Dying Light is lacking in the story department but provides a refreshing experience for the zombie genre.
  96. Jul 16, 2015
    This game is awesome! Its like mix of Mirrors Edge, Dead Island, Dead Rising Fast Furious movie (don't ask why - just storyline). One of the best parts is the zombie invadings. The other player with all left 4 dead zombies abilities + spider man's web. The only thing why the game is 9/10 is music/ The music is really boring. Too bad for this masterpiece.
  97. Mar 27, 2015
    Pay attention to the user score and not the critics! This is a really fun immersive game that has a bit of a slow start. You learn quickly NOT to use those loud firearms and instead use planks, bats, knives and hammers. Use those skill points for a grappling hook as soon as possible, because it makes getting around and getting away a lot easier. You appreciate those weapons upgrades soPay attention to the user score and not the critics! This is a really fun immersive game that has a bit of a slow start. You learn quickly NOT to use those loud firearms and instead use planks, bats, knives and hammers. Use those skill points for a grappling hook as soon as possible, because it makes getting around and getting away a lot easier. You appreciate those weapons upgrades so much as the game continues. It becomes so satisfying to slice through the infected with one whack. I wasn't thrilled with the game at first but quickly became addicted and you will too! Expand
  98. Apr 20, 2015
    This game earned an 8 from me. A 6 for when I am playing alone, because it feels somewhat average then, but no major complaints. But this game is a true 10 when playing with friends. The fact that every single tiny aspect of the game can be played with up to 3 friends is amazing!!!!! Dying light also has the best assortment of eastereggs I have EVER seen. So grab a friend or two and pickThis game earned an 8 from me. A 6 for when I am playing alone, because it feels somewhat average then, but no major complaints. But this game is a true 10 when playing with friends. The fact that every single tiny aspect of the game can be played with up to 3 friends is amazing!!!!! Dying light also has the best assortment of eastereggs I have EVER seen. So grab a friend or two and pick up some copies of Dying light. Expand
  99. Sep 20, 2015
    My game of the year so far. It's full of the usual type of busy work you find in open world games but the little stories that come with even the smallest missions make it worth while and how they tie missions to other missions is a welcome break from just do that so someone will be happy. In fact because the side missions are so well thought out and implemented the main mission sufferesMy game of the year so far. It's full of the usual type of busy work you find in open world games but the little stories that come with even the smallest missions make it worth while and how they tie missions to other missions is a welcome break from just do that so someone will be happy. In fact because the side missions are so well thought out and implemented the main mission sufferes for it with only slightly better writing and construction.
    Any way I spent 47 hours in this game and I normally start complaining if you make me spend more than 10 hours in a game so that should tell you something. Great mechanics (the free running is done superbly) and great combat once you upgrade a bit. Outstanding game that anyone who has the slightest tolerance for open world games should play.
  100. Aug 17, 2015
    This game is great, I loved the gameplay, multiple skill trees, the fluent and great partcore which feels like assassins creed, and great combat. But the story was really bad, and when you start out at level one, it's hard to kill zombies and especially humans. Still, stick around past the first seven levels and your bound to have an amazing time!

1. Games Master UK
    Apr 9, 2015
    This is a sure shank redemption for Techland, and a big step up from previous Dead Islands. [April 2015, p.65]
  2. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Mar 10, 2015
    A lot of fun in small bursts, but not amount of polish, parkour or persistence can plaster over the cracks of the aging Dead Island mechanics and systems. [Issue#121, p.72]
  3. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    Mar 4, 2015
    Though not entirely soul-destroying, Dying Light will leave you feeling like you've just eaten a box of budget chocolates - unsatisfied, underwhelmed and unsure if it was worth the money. [March 2015, p.72]