6.4

1. Dec 14, 2015
    Alright I'm gonna make this review as straight-forward as I can. If you have the extra $60 to spend on the game, then it will entertain you for 2 or 3 days. The story quest dialogue was over too quick and the side quests were dull 80% of the time. The game needs better graphics, a more immersive storyline with some real length, more creatures, a whole new settlement building method, andAlright I'm gonna make this review as straight-forward as I can. If you have the extra $60 to spend on the game, then it will entertain you for 2 or 3 days. The story quest dialogue was over too quick and the side quests were dull 80% of the time. The game needs better graphics, a more immersive storyline with some real length, more creatures, a whole new settlement building method, and most importantly BUG FIXES. Expand
  2. Nov 28, 2015
    I really wanted to like Fallout 4. If the interface wasn't so clunky, if the movement/cover/hiding mechanics weren't from 2004, if it felt more like a cinematic experience, if it had been designed from the perspective of the end-users... Maybe I would like it more. As it is, it's like a lumbering suit of power armor without a human occupant. All technical wiz bang and no soul. Ah well,I really wanted to like Fallout 4. If the interface wasn't so clunky, if the movement/cover/hiding mechanics weren't from 2004, if it felt more like a cinematic experience, if it had been designed from the perspective of the end-users... Maybe I would like it more. As it is, it's like a lumbering suit of power armor without a human occupant. All technical wiz bang and no soul. Ah well, maybe these things will be addressed in Fallout 5.

I'll give it a four because the graphics ARE pretty and the sheer volume of customization and city building/scrapping is very cool. Not enough to redeem it for me.
  3. Jan 16, 2016
    Fallout 4 is an ok game, but it's a terrible Fallout game, and I am rating it as such.
    They improved on a lot of subpar systems from previous games but proceeded to remove nearly everything that made Fallout great.
    Linear story, restrictive dialouge that gives the illusion of choice but you really have no say in it whatsoever, an empty world, no skill checks except charisma checks and they don't really do anything anyway, no skills, no reputation/karma system...
    The list just goes on. It's an incredibly shallow experience and I grow extremely bored of it's repetetive quests and empty world.

Please, no more of this. Let Obsidian make the next one..
  4. Jan 7, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In this open world rpg you can find tons of rpg elements, like the lak of choice, inability to play different kind of character and forced story. How can it be that Bethesda downgraded the rpg elements even from fallout 3 and ignored everything good OBSIDIAN did in fallout new vegas. Where are the possibilities of solving problems with speaking your way out of it or bribing the raiders. In fallout 4 it is always the same solution, point and shoot.

And how can I play a character that has completely mad personality when your characters personality is already decided for you. Why cant I just shoot the main storyline characters if I want to? Where is the harm in that? Because if there would bee multiple ways to play through this game I surely would, and would do the main story at some point.

Where is the old threatening but goofy atmosphere from other fallout games. I have come across one little pit silly encounter in this game and it was about a kid who have been locked in fridge for more than 200 hundred years, cheers for that though, still it have been only this one time this game made me laugh.

Wasteland doesn't feel like wasteland when everywhere is something. Glowing sea is definitely the only place you feel nukes actually went flying. And human settlements are all quite dull, maybe a little pit too sophisticated.

Soundtrack wasn't as good as in older games, but cant blame them for running out of fitting songs from 60s.

So one point for glowing sea and the kid in the fridge.
  5. Jan 18, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game is about you looking for your plastic.... I mean baby with whom you spend a total of 5 minutes with,
    Baby looks like plastic and gum.
    Game world big but graphics are from the 360. Not much innovation and they actually made the conversation system obsolete by not having any variations in most conversations no matter which option you choose. Very lazy. Wish I didnt get it online as I would have returned the disk.
    If youre a fallout fan you'll have fun. If this is your first attempt at exploring the world.. Try Fallout one first.
  6. Mar 3, 2016
    Copious amounts of loot don't make up for the emptiness of this game. I won't share spoilers but the main story is clearly unfinished, the new dialogue system has been proven to be terribly thought out with 4 non-choices to choose from (usually 4 different ways of saying "okay, I'll do it"). No side-quests, just one repeating mission where you clear out a house/building and get some capsCopious amounts of loot don't make up for the emptiness of this game. I won't share spoilers but the main story is clearly unfinished, the new dialogue system has been proven to be terribly thought out with 4 non-choices to choose from (usually 4 different ways of saying "okay, I'll do it"). No side-quests, just one repeating mission where you clear out a house/building and get some caps for it. The lore is poor and goes completely against what the previous games had achieved. There is no freedom to create your own character apart from your appearance, you play a set character with a set goal and a set way of doing it.

There is no choice. That's what Fallout is about.
  7. Dec 29, 2015
    Small and disappointing. I'm a big TES fan and have never played a Fallout title. Diamond City in FO4 has about half the quests of Solitude in Skyrim and half the named NPCs. All factions in this game have the same quest. I would have been unhappy if in Skyrim, all the guilds had the same end story. They were similar, sure, but at least featured different people in different places.Small and disappointing. I'm a big TES fan and have never played a Fallout title. Diamond City in FO4 has about half the quests of Solitude in Skyrim and half the named NPCs. All factions in this game have the same quest. I would have been unhappy if in Skyrim, all the guilds had the same end story. They were similar, sure, but at least featured different people in different places.

Very low replay value compared to current TES titles. I've played thousands of hours of TES but at only a couple hundred hours of FO4, I feel "finished."
  8. Dec 11, 2015
    The game is sterile as can be. There is just boredom in this empty open world. The Quest-system is as 0815 as can be. "Go there, kill this". The Backstory is a big "WTF?"
    Everything that was great with Fallout 3 got sucked out (ambiente!) and we are left to play this sterile open world shooter. I would not recommend this game. I would rather advise people to get a PS3 and play Fallout 3 instead.
  9. Dec 13, 2015
    I wanted to give it a 5...but man, I just couldn't. This game is a solid 4. The graphics aren't that great, which has been discussed at length, so I won't say anything more about that. The world is large, but it's drab and you really don't feel compelled to explore. "Oh, there's a public library! Maybe I should go explore to see if I can find a wrench or maybe some duct tape," said no oneI wanted to give it a 5...but man, I just couldn't. This game is a solid 4. The graphics aren't that great, which has been discussed at length, so I won't say anything more about that. The world is large, but it's drab and you really don't feel compelled to explore. "Oh, there's a public library! Maybe I should go explore to see if I can find a wrench or maybe some duct tape," said no one ever while I play FO4. Which brings me to my next complaint: The inventory system. So, in FO4, they added crafting. This allows you to customize your weapons by adding better sights, muzzles/silencers, stocks, barrels, etc. Sounds good in theory, but the execution is AWFUL. The reason is that in order to craft silencers, barrels, etc., you must first possess the materials. How do you get the materials? By dismantling junk that you find laying around the wasteland, such as toy cars (springs, screws), duct tape (adhesive), crystal (optics), etc. And you can't upgrade your inventory with a single toy car or globe, of course - you have to have TONS of junk to craft a single upgrade...you probably know where I'm going with this.

So the most annoying part of the game is the incessant "You're carrying too much and can't run" message you get when you pick-up one globe/stapler/duct tape/etc too many. You'll spend hours managing your inventory; trading stuff with your partner, finding places to hoard your junk, etc. Also, sometimes you'll stash your inventory somewhere and for whatever reason it'll simply disappear. Kind of a blessing in disguise, I suppose. Anyway, when you wanna craft something, you'll typically reclaim all the junk you stashed with your partner or wherever and slowly lumber over to the crafting station. You'll try to craft a silencer or something and find that despite the veritable tons of junk you've accumulated, you're a screw short. You then must slowly make way back to your partner or wherever and relinquish all the junk back to him. Lastly, your partner has a weight limit, too, so you eventually get to the point where you can't use him as pack mule, either. So then you have to carefully consider what items with which you're willing to part on an ad hoc basis as you slog through some tedious, boring, drab, uninspired, and washed-out environment.

Reading all that was pretty boring, huh? Of course it was. I was trying to bring the FO4 experience to you in this review and save you $60.00.
  10. Dec 24, 2015
    It is a lousy FPS set in a theme park that Bethesda calls Boston. The RPG mechanics are so dumbed down that they are now essentially non-existent. The user interface, especially the inventory UI, is straight from hell. The graphics, writing, voice acting, animations and anything else are completely awful. This is one of the worst games I have ever play, just do yourself a favor and stayIt is a lousy FPS set in a theme park that Bethesda calls Boston. The RPG mechanics are so dumbed down that they are now essentially non-existent. The user interface, especially the inventory UI, is straight from hell. The graphics, writing, voice acting, animations and anything else are completely awful. This is one of the worst games I have ever play, just do yourself a favor and stay away from this drivel at all costs. Expand
  11. Dec 22, 2015
    This game is just so bad in every department. And Bethesda actually succeeded in dumbing down their dumbed down games even more. Everything is just bad or awful - the writing, graphics, art design, voice acting, quest design, story/writing, mechanics, user interface EVERYTHING are just AWFUL. Stay away at all costs and save your money for a decent game.
  12. Nov 29, 2015
    Pretty much took all the good bits from the other Fallout games and threw them in the rubbish, the dialogue is so irritating, I wanted to play the game as a decent guy, then as an idiot to everyone on another save but with this my only option is to be a cry baby that just wants to find their son. The frame rate is terrible, the amount of bugs goes from being hilarious to down rightPretty much took all the good bits from the other Fallout games and threw them in the rubbish, the dialogue is so irritating, I wanted to play the game as a decent guy, then as an idiot to everyone on another save but with this my only option is to be a cry baby that just wants to find their son. The frame rate is terrible, the amount of bugs goes from being hilarious to down right frustrating, a few times I have been fighting a deathclaw or something only for it to glitch into a wall or a tree and not fight back, at first this was free XP but now its just boring and not a challenge. I havent spent a single cap yet either they feel so pointless, ugh i could go on and on about its problems forever. On the plus side... Um, the graphics are from like 2005? So its not that outdated... Lol, sorry I couldnt resist. Expand
  13. Nov 28, 2015
    Fallout 4 has missed the "fallout" part.

Fallout 4 has missed the "fallout" part.

The character customization has been dumbed down. Now you have only SPECIAL and perks, with half of the perks being only percentage increases. Skills and traits have been removed. The dialogue is terrible and slow (you'll probably skip it), the voicing for your character ruins the immersion. The speech wheel is the worst part, it gives you 4 options that basically are "yes", "no", question, sarcasm or "maybe". But none of these option matter as whatever you say it results in the same result, which sometimes is the total opposite of what you want, killing the replay-value.
    The story is pretty bad, especially in the second part, where you do stuff for no real reason. Every quest ends in a call-of-duty stile level, you just kill enemies, loot stuff until you get tired and then go on. In previous fallouts you could have avoided the shooting by speaking with people, sneaking or in other ways. In fallout 4 you just kill enemies.
    The map is pretty cool, it is more colorful than fallout 3's, but IMO feels smaller. In most of the map there's either enemies or nothing, you won't find amazing stuff that will start a quest. You will find very few secondary quests which are actually quests and not just "go there and kill people because I told you so".
    The new features are ok, the weapon modding is awesome but there tends to be an "obvious choice" when you customize weapons. The settlement building is fun the first time but soon after you will ignore it as you gain absolutely nothing from helping people except their complaints.

Fallout 4 is not a good FALLOUT game, but it is a decent game. An open-world FPS with some rpg elements. I obtained roughly 40 hours from the game and at least half of them I would call them enjoyable. I do not recommend picking it up, as the other games in the series (3 and NV) are much better even if older.
  14. Jan 4, 2016
    This game is horrible, absolutely horrible. I put in 20+ hours trying desperately to figure out what the hype was all about. Graphics are just OK, controller scheme is horrible and gameplay is the worst. You die all the time. If you are not consciously saving your game, the auto save will hurt your progress. Everything will kill you and all of your enemies are more powerful than yourThis game is horrible, absolutely horrible. I put in 20+ hours trying desperately to figure out what the hype was all about. Graphics are just OK, controller scheme is horrible and gameplay is the worst. You die all the time. If you are not consciously saving your game, the auto save will hurt your progress. Everything will kill you and all of your enemies are more powerful than your character. Dogmeat, your canine companion gets you into more trouble than he helps. It's a bunch of fetching quests and dying, rinse and repeat; pure and simple. I can honestly say that i have NO clue as to why anyone likes this game. Expand
  15. Dec 6, 2015
    Disappointed. They had a lot of time and money to work on this game. I had high expectations since New Vegas was so good. But on the other hand, Bethesda did not work on that game

Bethesda is good at creating worlds but they always feel lifeless. Fallout 4 has no interesting characters or dialogue. The gameplay and shooting is better, no doubt. but after killing raider after raider in one of many "go there and kill raider quest" it gets pretty boring.

If you want a good roleplaying game where you feel apart of and care about a world then Fallout 4 is not for you. If you want to kill things and collect loot like Borderlands then rent this.
  16. Nov 23, 2015
    I played this game for about 7 hours and i got though about half the game's story line. The beginning of the game I enjoyed I felt engaged and I felt like I was in the game. Then later on I felt alone and I started getting board with game running from place to place saving settlers from bandits and trying to find ammo. I just was not entertained as long as I would have liked to be. TheI played this game for about 7 hours and i got though about half the game's story line. The beginning of the game I enjoyed I felt engaged and I felt like I was in the game. Then later on I felt alone and I started getting board with game running from place to place saving settlers from bandits and trying to find ammo. I just was not entertained as long as I would have liked to be. The base building was probably the best time I had with the game. But other than that a boring walking simulator. Expand
  17. Dec 17, 2015
    I was going to give Fallout 4 a rating of 4/10, but then I saw multitudes of 10/10 'best game I've ever played' type 'reviews'. Which are packed full of absolute lies. Either posted by fanboys in denial, or by Bethesda's employees.

This game has been nothing but disappointing so far. I've played for over 40 hours, expecting things to get better, but they have only gotten worse, casual FPS style.

The Pros:

-Graphics are improved over previous entries, but are still sub-standard.

-Enemy AI is slightly improved, animals will burrow into the ground when you try the old 'stand on a rock to get out of reach' trick that has worked in every other Bethesda RPG. Human enemies actually take cover and don't just rush to their deaths, they also weave when you are aiming at them.

-Building is a nice touch, although the mechanics of it could be hugely improved, as it is riddled with illogical flaws (like floating buildings). You can actually build a flying wooden house in the sky (not actually flying, just daft physics). Yes, really.

-The shooting mechanics are a little better than previous entries, BUT the improvement is not massive, and it still feels largely the same as F3/NV. Don't expect Bioshock shooting or anything.

-Crafting/upgrades. Good, but require far too much time investment to get anything worthwhile.

-------------

The cons:

- Dialogue. The new dialogue system is absolutely atrocious. Now F3 and NV weren't exactly perfect in terms of dialogue, but they provided interesting, unexpected choices, with numerous outcomes in every situation. Remember spitting on Butch's sweet roll? Remember being an evil character? None of this exists in F4, and this is the game's biggest failure: dialogue is now reduced to 4 choices at all times:
    1) yes (the only way to progress)
    2) no (=come back later if you change your mind)
    3) why/what? (provides a recap of whatever has just been said, in case you skipped past the dialogue)
    4) Sarcastic (tell a joke, none of which are ever funny or remotely amusing, and none have any additional effect on the conversation).

Almost every conversation has only one outcome: violence. I've obsessively re-loaded and tried multiple ways around each conversation/standoff. Only rarely was there any choice whatsoever to avert a bloodbath. More than 90% of these situations have only one outcome. I enjoyed F3 and NV even more. F4 has completely destroyed the most fun and enjoyable aspect of the series: RP and interaction with NPCs. This has truly ruined the core of the game: your choices DO NOT matter. At all.

-RPG elements removed. Seriously.

-Voiced protagonist. This was a horrible addition. I have not yet played a female character, but the male voice actor is ridiculous. He sounds completely nonchalant about everything. To clarify: his infant son has just been kidnapped, and he never gives any hints of being upset or traumatised, or being angry or anything. There are a few main story quests where he starts to sound a little upset, and of course, every storyline situation turns into a battle. You get a choice of 4 ways of saying 'ok, let's fight' every time before it starts. The voiced protagonist has no character, and really brings the whole RP element down as he plays the uncaring, nonchalant father looking (or not bothering to, most of the time) for his missing child.

-Ridiculous plot holes and narrative flaws:
    1) Kellogg (the man who kidnapped your son) somehow knows your son's name, despite there being no possible way of him knowing this, having abducted the baby as an infant and having never seen or heard his name. Somehow, Kellogg magically knows Shaun's name. Ludicrous. Bethesda cannot write coherently at all.

2) I wandered into a place called Covenant, where my character immediately started getting dialogue options to ask about characters he has never heard of previously, calling them by name. This happens a LOT in Fallout 4 if you do your own exploring instead of just doing what quest-givers tell you.

-General lack of challenge, juxtaposed against cheap overpowered bullet-sponge 'legendary' enemies.
    The vast majority of side quests consist of 'clear all ghouls' followed by the same quest 10 times in different locations. When it's not 'kill ghouls', it's 'kill all raiders', or 'retrieve item'. These quests make up the vast majority of the game's content, and they offer no dialogue at all, just combat with no other option.

Within the first 15 minutes or so of starting the game, you are given power-armour with a minigun, and you are made to fight a Deathclaw immediately after getting this gear. Within 30 mins of that, you'll join the Brotherhood of Steel after killing a few ghouls. The power armour removes any aspect of difficulty from this game, so I absolutely refuse to use it at all, it is like having god-mode cheats activated from the beginning. I can't stand using it.

-Bugs, ranging from the mildly omical, to the game-breaking.

Do you like Fallout? Avoid this garbage!
  18. Dec 10, 2015
    You might as well just play a basic dime a dozen first person shooter because the fallout experience is dead and gone, Killed in favor of catering to children and simpletons who can't follow any kind of deep storyline.

Fallout 4 highlights just how far bethesda has fallen since the release of The Elder Scrolls Oblivion, One of the greatest RPG's of all time. Gone is the in depth immersive game play elements and interesting characters and leveling mechanics that bethesda games were once known for. This game is an rpg in title only. Having levels in S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats does absolutely nothing for you unless you take the perk associated with that level and there are no stats as well. This long awaited game has been gutted and stripped of any real rpg elements, actual quests and classic bethesda charm to allow idiots and children to easily beat it and that is unforgivable.

Quest lines for factions are cheap and generic and almost always consist of go to A and get a mission to kill generic enemies at B. Or go to A and bring this item back to B. And this repeats OVER AND OVER AGAIN. And no matter how much you fortify your bases your settlers will get themselves kidnapped CONSTANTLY and you have to drop what you're doing to go help these worthless idiots or else they get removed from the game. I've lost track of how many times i've had to stop what I was doing to help these useless parasites. And those basic faction quests ALWAYS end up going from "Do me a favor" to "murder this guy who has helped you out way more than we have". Thus forcing you to take sides in the most pathetic and cheap way possible. The writers for this game should be beaten with lead pipes.

There are several interesting groups and areas in the game that have absolutely no purpose and no story even though they were more deserving of most of those that actually do. For example, I came across a group of raiders that had a fake settlement as a trap. They were all torture obsessed psychos who tortured people until they died or joined them, I found a computer with a journal post that had a guy wondering why the people who they were torturing didn't understand what it was that they were trying to accomplish. There was no named raider or anything here to suggest WHAT they were trying to accomplish. And THEN there is vault 81. As soon as you find it you get a quest called vault 81. What is the quest you ask? Talk to the overseer. That's it, I **** you not. And this lame filler content is EVERYWHERE in this game. Such opportunities were just thrown into the trash and this instance needlessly repeats itself over and over again throughout the game across the entire map.

The rush of finding unique and powerful weapons and armor to help in your quest is gone as well with the implementation of the garbage "legendary" system that results in you getting things such as a shotgun with a freaking infinite clip. How EXACTLY is that supposed to work? This stupid feature cheapens the entire game and ruins yet another beloved feature of the series. No more unique gear. This bull **** only serves to make the game less fallout and more basic generic garbage FPS.

And it wouldn't be a bethesda game if the idiots took care of all of the glitches BEFORE they released the game. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as that piece of trash skyrim. Having my weapons randomly stop doing damage and characters refusing to talk to me for no reason is still a pain in the ass though.

Follower and settler AI is HORRIBLE. These idiots do nothing but get in the way by blocking paths and doorways and stairs often times ignoring your commands. I have to usually Press A at LEAST 10 times before these rejects will talk to me. You're better off going it alone.

And lets not forget that the game forces you to make decisions about who you will be allied with instead of allowing you to negotiate and make deals to ensure peace between factions. No, you're forced to choose ONE ally. Garbage. Pure garbage.

And lets not forget the garbage framerate!

With it's last two AAA RPG releases bethesda has made it abundantly clear that they are transitioning from a beloved epic story telling company to a generic throwaway company that does nothing but crap out forgettable dime a dozen time wasters in the name of a quick buck. It's beginning to become difficult to tell bethesda apart from EA and nintendo with this latest attack on everyone's nostalgia and repeated catering to the simple minded and young who lack the intelligence and maturity to enjoy a good story line.

The only good things I can honestly say about this game are that the graphics and colors are nice and that the gun fighting elements are excellent. As a basic shooter this game is amazing, As a fallout game this is an abomination and an insult to every long time fan of the series who waited patiently for this game. Yet again, bethesda spits in the face of their fans.

Todd howard, If you are reading this. **** you, You lying piece of ****
  19. Feb 26, 2016
    While this game is not the worst around, in fact, it is very good at what it does... And that is, bore the player!
    I spend 8 hours on this game, waiting for it to get better. It gets worse.
    Put simply, the way they made the game big. Stretch out the map, so running takes 1/2 the time. Make the missions mildly interesting, and sparsed just enough that something interesting happens
    I spend 8 hours on this game, waiting for it to get better. It gets worse.

Put simply, the way they made the game big.
    Stretch out the map, so running takes 1/2 the time.
    Make the missions mildly interesting, and sparsed just enough that something interesting happens just before you give up. Then, welcome back to boring, and running, and trying to figure out why you wasted your money.

This is one of those games, which proves critics are payed for their reviews.
    This is also a game which shows just how deluded some players are, everyone in the end realises they have been taken for a ride, its just a matter of how long they can delude themselves.
  20. Nov 23, 2015
    There is one thing I learned from this game.

You have to be careful, my friends. Because, you know the "hype"?? All that expectations, and people talking about it. Everyone looking forward for something. Everyone screaming it out loud. Well, I will NEVER board the hype train again in my life. The game itself is good, don't get me wrong. But in my opinion is not a RPG, it's looks
    There is one thing I learned from this game.

Well, I will NEVER board the hype train again in my life.
    The game itself is good, don't get me wrong. But in my opinion is not a RPG, it's looks more like a shooter. The story not that good, the writing is shallow, the dialogues are very simple, and gives you a huge illusion of choice. The game is not immersive, there's not much life in it... you don't feel it. No emotion.

This game is good, but it DOES NOT lives for its expectations.
    The hype was horrible. And I am disappointed.
  21. Dec 4, 2015
    It was a glitchy game on the PC to begin with, and these is an even worse port. The Xbox version glitches make this game UNPLAYABLE.

Boring and pointless story. Bland gameplay. Nauseating graphics from two generations ago. And, GLITCHES!!! So disappointed in this one. Only die hard fans of the Fallout series will find any enjoyment in this one.
  22. Dec 7, 2015
    due to the fact that my honest and sensible review got deleted-

fallout (in name only) 4 is a huge disappointment that is extremely dumbed-down. it is no longer a rpg and is an insult to intelligent gamers everywhere. very little choice and consequence. meaningless results. average graphics. horrid animations. horrendous dialogue wheel and conversation choices. zero meaningful
    due to the fact that my honest and sensible review got deleted-

very little choice and consequence. meaningless results.
    average graphics. horrid animations.
    horrendous dialogue wheel and conversation choices. zero meaningful results.
    empty sand-box world filled with meaningless activities and lackluster enemies.
    repetitive, repetitive, repetitive, repetitive fps gameplay.
    badly implemented and meaningless settlement building.
    all the good aspects of fallout3/nv are either eliminated or rendered ridiculously casual due to distortion and "accessibility."
    zero skills.
    zero need to replay.
    zero meaningful faction gameplay.
    the perk system is a slap in the face due to its simplified and uninspired implementation.
    the "writing" by Beth hacks is as unprofessional and horrid as ever. a true new low.
    meaningless characters and companions.

and, Beth bugs and glitches are as ever-present as always.

I've never been so disappointed in my life about a game, since, i am a TES/Fallout and rpg fan to the core and i absolutely cared. . Thank god i was able to play it for free.

and, yes, i think the next TES game will push the IDIOT line even further.

My overall score is based on the different components of the game, the fact that it is called Fallout and due to Bethesda being its developer. Whether or not the game can be "fun" at times is irrelevant. Thus, i am giving this game a well-deserved ZERO and a spot as one of the most overrated games of all-time.

unbelievable disappointment...
  23. Dec 9, 2015
    Overrated Bethesda is back at it again, and they created another piece of garbage idiots to j!zz over. For starters this isn't a 0/10, it's more of a 4/10 but I'm trying to even the score because the fanboys are giving the game a 10/10 without explaining anything. Let's start with the pros:

Pros: Big world Open for heavy modding support The gunplay is improved Now the cons:

Pros:

Big world

Open for heavy modding support

The gunplay is improved

Now the cons:

Cons:

The world is bland, everything looks the same and exploring is a chore just like it is in every other overrated Bethesda game.

The graphics are ugly, this looks like a 2007 game not a game from late 2015 that's been in development for 7 years! Look at what the Witcher 3 did, 3 1/2 years in development, small team, and $81 million budget yet they were able to create one of the best games of all time and without a doubt the best looking open world game.

Bugs, oh Bethesda, Bethesda never changes, and neither do the bugs. This is a bug riddled piece of garbage, and they're game breaking. Why does Bethesda get a free pass?

The animations are terrible.

The voice acting is terrible.

This isn't a RPG, it's an open world shooter. Your character is already determined and you don't have a choice.

It's boring and repetitive in every way.

The UI is garbage.

The optimization is terrible for this ugly piece of s**t, consoles go below 20 FPS and it's just as bad on PC.

The story is terrible, boring, repetitive, and garbage. Bethesda should fire everyone and give the Elder Scrolls and Fallout license to CD Projekt Red.

The quests are terrible, they have no variation, all the quests are "Go here and kill this".
  24. Nov 17, 2015
    Huge disappointment. The game used to be about choice. In the original games, everything was negotiable. If raiders were bothering a town you could talk to their leader and bribe him, intimidate him, kill him, double cross the town you were working for, etc. This game it's go kill the raiders, go kill the mutants. It may as well be on rails. Sure the map is big and there's a lot to do, butHuge disappointment. The game used to be about choice. In the original games, everything was negotiable. If raiders were bothering a town you could talk to their leader and bribe him, intimidate him, kill him, double cross the town you were working for, etc. This game it's go kill the raiders, go kill the mutants. It may as well be on rails. Sure the map is big and there's a lot to do, but when everything looks the same and every mission ends the same, what's the point?

The settlement minigame seems like it could be fun, but I didn't put more than 3-4 hours into it.

Mixing perks with SPECIAL was a huge mistake. 8 charisma and intelligence did nothing because without the perk along with it I'd fail speech checks.

If you're a fan of Fallout 1 and 2 you'll probably hate this game. If you loved Skyrim and Fallout 3, good news it's the same game!
  25. Nov 19, 2015
    The game has been overhyped, it's not what made Fallout a Fallout Series.

The game is mostly FPS game with some small elements of RPG, which is ridiculous for a game that used to be LOADED with RPG elements to be like this. Story is linear, really hurts the franchise when all other titles had factions and multiple in-between chances to story and ending, creating multiple
    The game has been overhyped, it's not what made Fallout a Fallout Series.

Story is linear, really hurts the franchise when all other titles had factions and multiple in-between chances to story and ending, creating multiple playthroughs.

It's a joke, why are AAA games trying to cover up presentation with lack of content? What!?

The good things are the gameplay, but everything about Fallout is gone. This can be a completely different game as well since the lore is not even here.
  26. Nov 17, 2015
    Trust the negative reviews on this one - and by the way, I'm not a hater, I really wanted a good game!

Ok, let's start with the positives: A big, open world to explore with deep lore and a rich RPG character development system. And that's it. Everything else is sub-par. Graphics are terrible, looks like something from 2005, with glitches and bugs all over the place. Nothing is

Everything else is sub-par.
    Nothing is explained in-game: crafting, cooking, modding, the Pip Boy, nothing! No tutorials on anything, I discovered that the VATS system existed purely by accident on YouTube (I thought it was a mod when I saw it!).
    The inventory system is extremely clunky (everything categorized alphabetically?! No universal locker?), all AI is mind-numbingly stupid and the quest system is broken (I've tried to finish quests only to find out that the final boss was unbeatable at my current level - thanks for the heads-up!).
    Camera angles unusable - even in cut-scenes! I watched one cut-scene from the inside of the throat of the NPC. ><

The combat mechanics are the absolute worst, aiming is so terrible it takes 10 bullets just to kill a moth. And they compared it to Destiny!

And the load screens! I've probably spent more time looking at the load screen than actually playing the game since every death means staring at a load screen for 15 seconds.

Steer clear of this one, it's more of a simulator without any instructions or goals than an actual game.
  27. Nov 24, 2015
    Welcome to Fallout 4 - or, as I like to call it "Bethesda's Hobo Simulator 2015". This has all the hallmarks of a typical modern AAA game: Mostly meaning the devs went: Screw effort - our fans will make mods and wikis to do the things we can't be bothered to do, like offer balanced leveling, sensible quest progression or anything else which might have required effort. The most obvious lazyWelcome to Fallout 4 - or, as I like to call it "Bethesda's Hobo Simulator 2015". This has all the hallmarks of a typical modern AAA game: Mostly meaning the devs went: Screw effort - our fans will make mods and wikis to do the things we can't be bothered to do, like offer balanced leveling, sensible quest progression or anything else which might have required effort. The most obvious lazy move was to dust off a crummy shooter/crafter from a dead project and slap the Fallout label on it, thinking "yeah, Fallout fans won't notice or mind that everything that made the franchise what it is is gone, they're just into the name" Expand
  28. Nov 16, 2015
    To say this game was a disappointment is an understatement. The designers behind this game seem to have made a concerted effort to go against long-standing cornerstones of the Fallout IP, all in the name of mass appeal.

- For one, mixing Perks, Skills and SPECIAL into one system leads to a myriad of issues, not the least of which is Perk points no longer feel worthwhile to earn. They feel like keys that unlock things which could be gained other ways if Bethesda had put any thought into how.

- Most, if not all, missions are railroaded and do not allow for pacifist or alternative ways to achieve an end, something caused by taking Skill and SPECIAL checks away.

- The weapon handling overhaul brought on by ID Software, and the Weapon and Armor drops with randomized stats, leave the game feeling like a mix of Borderlands and Far Cry with Dragon Age Inquisition's crafting system bolted on.

- The story's direction and tone is a mess, and the voiced protagonist shows at every turn that Bethesda was not thinking about how a person frozen for 210 years would truly react to a world they once knew being changed so radically. (Some improvements were made in the Quest descriptions although that was a long-standing problem that shouldn't have been one post-Morrowind.)

- The game is a slog to get through, even with the changes made to gameplay. The reason is you have next to no incentive to partake in any of the quests or side activities because they grind against what the game was built to allow with barriers to progression taken away. Again, this hearkens back to Morrowind, which told you to go explore and gain levels and which locked down higher tiers of quests until your character was of the right character level or skill level to take them on. Having actors who don't sound interested in the roles they have doesn't help.

- Skipping parts of the Main Quest if critical information or locations were discovered in other ways, like players could do in past games, is impossible.

- Settlement Building, like many things in Fallout 4, are distractions that remind you of far better games you could be playing that use the mechanics on offer.

- The Endings are a joke, and made more so because of how few game-changing choices outside of faction choice you have throughout Fallout 4.

- Bugs upon bugs, which many mainstream reviewers seem to have glossed over in the pre-release reviews. I've had the game freeze my controls, and my character in place after the cryopod opened, three times in a row, weapons disappearing when using them, notices of my settlements being low on something only to be corrected or not show as soon as I get back, and many other things like this. Bethesda has no excuse for this.

Do not buy this game in its current state. Rent it from Redbox and wait for the GOTY release to be on sale for $30. Then it will be worth the money you spend on it.
  29. Nov 13, 2015
    It's bad. Really, really bad.
    -Once again, Bethesda, trying to emulate the great stories of the old Fallouts, involve a family. That's the easiest way to make the players feel something, yet they fail at that. The voiced protagonist doesn't help, you just don't feel anything, because bethesda can't write and nothing can help that.
    -Gameplay is taken from Borderland, but how can you
    It's bad. Really, really bad.
    -Gameplay is taken from Borderland, but how can you justify "enchanted" guns that don't need reloading, or armor pieces that reflect damage, in a fallout game?! That's lame and tacky as hell. And lame and tacky are "radiation" guns. Guns that somehow shoot radiations that somehow kill on the spot and move the rag-dolls around like skyrim shouts. But we all know Bethesda doesn't understand physics and basic biology...
    -Then there is the power armor. The change is nice in term of gameplay, but... it's lore-raping. Fusion cores are supposed to last for a lifetime. There also a pre-war T-60. Too bad that pre-war production stopped at T-51.
    -There are cats, also a lore-raping thing, cats were extinct.
    -Where is the RPG component? It's nowhere to be seen. You don't make your own character, you'll always be the good dad, and the perk and SPECIAL systems dumbed down the game a lot. Some perk are even tacky and stupid, like the one that lets your breath underwater. How can you explain that?! It's not coherent with the universe or common sense!
    -Graphics are from 2008. Not bad, but not good. Animations are mediocre like always. Fewer glitches, but they are still there.
    -Homestead building is mediocre too. You get to build only **** huts made out of scraps.
    -The world is not big at all, in 10 minutes you can go around all of it.
    -I can't think about anything else to say, but there is more to cover, I bet... Perhaps I should have said the good things. Oh wait, nothing comes to mind.
    -Oh right! No faction reputation and no karma! I suppose I should have put those when talking about the RPG component... Who cares? I bet nobody is reading this far. The fanboys have pressed the "no helpful" button when they saw the red number, and those that are actually considering to buy it have already understood the game is **** by the first 2 or 3 points.

TL;DR: wait for the "Final Edition" with all DLCs to cost about 20$, it doesn't deserve anything more. You would think they learned few things from Obsidian, but nope, it's like they tried their best to go against the franchise.
  30. Nov 17, 2015
    No choice on how to develop your character, no branching storylines in quest, no real RPG elements what so ever. This is one of the most dumbed down entries I've seen in a series that once prided itself on choice and consequence.
  31. Nov 13, 2015
    Sorry but I've got a long rant to share for this one. What is with every "official source" saying that this is the game we have been waiting for with just a couple bugs and no real flaws? This is a Fallout 3 clone with an improved combat system but without any form of worthwhile dialogue. And the bugs. Dear God the bugs...

Here's the pros: Ghouls trip, we get scopes/mods, and a building

Here's the pros: Ghouls trip, we get scopes/mods, and a building system (which is completely bugged and not as rewarding as it should be). Yay.

The graphics were something I didn't care about prerelease. This game was supposed to be so big and full of adventure that it shouldn't have mattered. Alas, that was not the case. The map was incredibly small and I've explored the majority of it already. Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim each took more time for me to explore with more subtle secrets to find (not one terminal in a central location for every map marker that explains everything). Seeing the plain faces and bodies as well as bad lip syncing in a game like this just hurts. 7 years for that. It doesn't nearly match up with other games it's size released around this time.

The dialogue system is my biggest complaint. It ruins the entire experience. Gone are the days of talking to inconsequential characters about their lives and opinions on the state of the world. You used to be able to question random citizens about a city and use the hints they gave to find something interesting. Maybe even get to know them. Now we get "Hey" as our only option and a one line, unimportant or too direct response. Sometimes we even get the option of saying one of four lines that we have to guess the meaning of. Even that's rare. Dragon Age was able to pull this off flawlessly but it does not fit in Fallout and is used repulsively. The fact that trying to convince a character of something with a coinflip is also pretty annoying. That includes starting a romance.

The companions are just a husk of what was seen in New Vegas. Those were interesting characters. Veronica was funny and had a backstory you could get into. Boone's story was even more engrossing with a serious character. There were more but we'll keep it down to two. Fallout 4 has Paige and Valentine stealing the spotlight. Randomly, they stop you while in a den of raiders or supermutants and begin to rant about their moderately interesting pasts which you cannot inquire further about. You only get two options when talking to them otherwise. Thoughts on the situation and how's our relationship. It doesn't feel like real companionship as Veronica and Boone brought. It feels like badly utilized and poorly written game characters.

I'll give the short version for the bugs. About 20% of the time I played I was trying to get around a bug or just dealing with it. The building system would glitch and objects would float 3ft above my head instead of the flat ground so I'd have to reload. I have gotten my head stuck in so many random damaged buildings and feet stuck in so many holes that I lost count. Also, I'd finish a conversation with a character and they'd walk back up with the same line or give me the response to an option I didn't choose. (Specifically the director talking to me three times in a row at the Galleria and the mayor's assistant randomly being pissed about me asking her to help me. Which I didn't even do.) Instead of finding those cool easter eggs from earlier games, you find the glitches in this release.

Even the storyline wasn't impressive. Just predictable and unimaginative. Games are meant to improve on their predecessors but Fallout 4 fell short. I love Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim, Morrowind, and the Dragon Age series (which it definitely pulled from) but this doesn't match up to their appeal for their respective times. Maybe the bar is just too high at this point.
  32. Nov 16, 2015
    I am sure that Bethesda worked some long and crazy hours for this... Haha, just kidding. So I loved New Vegas, and Put the time in to beat Fallout 3. As games progress, you should see definite improvements in graphics, gameplay, and pacing. This game falls so short. This game is UGLY!!! Character animations are off (and sometimes Laughable), gunplay is just as lagging, and my god, thisI am sure that Bethesda worked some long and crazy hours for this... Haha, just kidding. So I loved New Vegas, and Put the time in to beat Fallout 3. As games progress, you should see definite improvements in graphics, gameplay, and pacing. This game falls so short. This game is UGLY!!! Character animations are off (and sometimes Laughable), gunplay is just as lagging, and my god, this crafting/upgrading takes so much away from the fallout experience it is stupid. This game is not a next Gen Game, and is riddled with so many annoying bugs. Really Terrible game. Give me my money back Bethesda. Expand
  33. Nov 23, 2015
    Poor game
    - Poor graphics.
    - Weak characters.
    - Missions involving only killing.
    - Story weak.
    - Poor game world.
    - there is nothing to do .
    - Weak dialogues.
    - Badly made interface.
    - None of RPG elements.
    - No decisions.
    - Very boring !
    I do not recommend !
  34. Nov 15, 2015
    I feel completely betrayed by Bethesda, they should have known better than to release this game in its current state. I have over 3,000 hours into fallout new vegas, and over 1k hours into fallout 3. I thought that Fallout 4 was going to be every bit as good as the prequels, and more. However what I have is a steaming pile of garbage that has been thickly coated with paint, with someI feel completely betrayed by Bethesda, they should have known better than to release this game in its current state. I have over 3,000 hours into fallout new vegas, and over 1k hours into fallout 3. I thought that Fallout 4 was going to be every bit as good as the prequels, and more. However what I have is a steaming pile of garbage that has been thickly coated with paint, with some glitter and sparkles to entice.

I cannot even begin to describe what I feel is wrong about this game, so lets start out by saying that its Fallout for dummies. Throughout the entirety of the game I feel as though I am in a tutorial, and despite my trying to move forward and progress the game stays simplistic, easy, and redundant, with more boundaries than you can even fathom. After 10 hours of playing on survival difficulty with my first character, I had figured that I had discovered some overpowered build that hasn't been patched yet. As it turns out, throughout the entire game, regardless of what difficulty you play on, so long as you follow the standard main quest path, you will not be challenged in any way whatsoever even until the final mission.

So what about going on an adventure to some random, unknown area of the map away from the main quest? You could make your character, level up 1 or 2 times, and head out into the wasteland, right? No. You see, Bethesda had this idea for Fallout 4. The idea was to remove every possible sliver of fun that was leftover from the prequels. We could technically wander the wasteland, however you would not enjoy fighting enemies after venturing out further than 40% east or 60% south of vault 111. The reason is that Bethesda decided it would be a good idea to go the route of creating a level barrier on enemies. While you can fight enemies that are much higher level than you, your weapons will deal virtually no damage, and the enemies will gain a massive damage bonus based on their level. You may put points into related damage boosting perks, and find legendary weapons, but none of this will be of a great deal of use until your character level has caught up with theirs. Gone are the days of playing Fallout 3/NV for fun, and going off into some incredibly fortified, difficult area that is not meant to be traveled by a mere level 5, and coming out victorious through your sheer wit and skill. This is technically still a possibility, however the damage reduction to your weapon, and the enemy bonus damage removes any enjoyment that would come with fighting one of these high level characters.

-----
    Now on to the most terrible, horrific thing that Bethesda has done to the beloved Fallout series.

-LEVELING.
    Who knew that leveling up in a game titled "Fallout" could feel so terribly unsatisfying? Everything that we knew and loved about Fallout has been destroyed, including the enjoyment of leveling up, and fine-tuning your character to your own play style. Let me ask you a question, and I want you to think long and hard about this before you answer... -What is the point of a perk, if you are going to get every single one of them anyways?-. Can someone tell me why we even get to choose when we level up? If I have to be level 15 to get the rank 2 of whatever perk I want, I would be able to get ALL TEN of the rank 1 perks of an attribute before hand, and then 5 more of a different attribute before I would be able to repeat the process again to get a tier 2 perk. What in the hell Bethesda. I wanted to specialize my character into a particular field. I'm playing an RPG, if I want to be a thief, I shouldnt have to wait until I'm level 30 to pick master locks, if I want to dedicate all of my points into lockpicking, and neglect combat, that should be my own decision, not yours.

Additionally, there are FAR less opportunities for you to negotiate with wastelanders through your adventure. In Fallout New Vegas you were bartering, lying, manipulating, and communicating with others from the very first few minutes of the game and onward. Fallout 4 doesn't even come remotely close, with the majority of areas having only a single direct mission to accomplish, and occasionally a speech check for extra caps when you complete it.

Fallout 4 is just another example of why video games today have become dry, terrible time-wasters that require no thought. What we have here is a below average FPS (Not an RPG) that has you running around killing massive amounts of raiders with no backstory or interactions.

Also your city building is broken. All my buildings are floating off the ground, and grass is shooting up through the floor.

1/10 Good job Bethesda, you actually made a terrible game for a change. I'm sorry to see this happen.
  35. Nov 11, 2015
    So... i thought to play charismatic beast, and after 10 hours of gameplay all what i was doing is shooting and shooting and shooting... where is the RPG mechanics? WHERE!?
  36. Nov 25, 2015
    Unpolished game, construction mode is boring and has some bugs.
    The grafics of the game looks like 360 version, the scenarios are repetitive and boring, everything looks green or brown.
  37. Feb 1, 2016
    this game is absolute hit, i literally can't play it anymore i have put in 49 hours and the story is **** it is a linear storyline with a yes maybe sarcastic and a no option. **** YOU BETHESDA.
  38. Nov 12, 2015
    I was actually looking forward to this game, I thought it would be better than Fallout 3, which I liked. The game is a dissappointment. Just really boring, really really boring. Skyrim with guns is a fitting title, and I think Skyrim is boring as hell. It's worse than Skyrim. Terrible combat, terrible ammo occurence, terrible weapons, having to run around the whole world looking forI was actually looking forward to this game, I thought it would be better than Fallout 3, which I liked. The game is a dissappointment. Just really boring, really really boring. Skyrim with guns is a fitting title, and I think Skyrim is boring as hell. It's worse than Skyrim. Terrible combat, terrible ammo occurence, terrible weapons, having to run around the whole world looking for resources to craft stuff, boring dialogue, boring leveling system, most boring quest/story ever, boring characters, and I could go on and on. It's not worth your money. Expand
  39. Dec 1, 2015
    Very bad game is very bad. The gameplay is just awful and very boring. Sad to see how much Bethesda has mutilated the series. Fallout is now a pure first person action game set in a theme park like world.
  40. Dec 21, 2015
    Ok, hate f3... but i looked forward for F4 , i was excited,ready to give it chance becouse i didnt play rpg for long time... after instal i played few hours of some FPS. So i have to download Fallout2 restoration project becouse i wanna play RPG!!! Not this FPS fallout frenchise for kids.
  41. Nov 12, 2015
    It is not Fallout anymore, it is a Fallout-inspired spinoff that plays like Borderlands or Wolfenstein. Most of the major RPG elements that I really loved about the series have been taken out or changed beyond the point of recognition:

- Dumbed down dialogue
    - No skills
    - No karma

To make matters worse the graphics look like the game was released 5 years ago.
  42. Nov 17, 2015
    The good:
    - Environment feel post-apocalyptic
    - Exploring is fairly fun - Customization / base building is fun The bad: - Dated graphics - Terrible facial animations ruins immersion( no excuse for 2015 game) - Enemy encounters are tedious at best, not fun at all, combat wasn't fixed from previous games - Story is average, you're forced into a role - Dialogue options isn't as
    The good:
    - Environment feel post-apocalyptic
    - Exploring is fairly fun
    - Customization / base building is fun

The bad:
    - Dated graphics
    - Terrible facial animations ruins immersion( no excuse for 2015 game)
    - Story is average, you're forced into a role
    - Dialogue options isn't as good as other Fallout games
    - Game was numbed down for casuals( feels like less of an rpg than even fallout 3)
    - Where are the military grade weapons
    - Character customization is good but very annoying to do
    - Boring quest design
    - copy and paste skyrim animations
    - Characters boring
    - **** ton of bugs really Bethesda after all these years of game development?

This game is overhyped and just plain terrible 0/10(4/10 with the bugs fixed)
  43. Nov 12, 2015
    Boring, repetitive quests, chaotic and predictable story, terrible graphic (I think Half Life 2 has better). There's no such a thing like atmosphere in this game. To many bugs, glitches and errors. Nothing works fine in this game! Please, I want my money back!
  44. Nov 10, 2015
    Its funny that people think this trash will beat witcher 3 for GOTY. Completed the game, its very predictable story line and pretty boring. The shooting in the game and combat isnt as clunky as like skyrim etc so it was pretty enjoyable. But the graphics, terrible pacing in story, and very empty feeling world makes this game quite easily to fall asleep playing
  45. Nov 11, 2015
    RPG for casual gamers only. No degradation on items, just a really long hoarding game with Skyrim like fighting. This is not an RPG and therefore this is not Fallout. What's worse is reviewers are too afraid of ticking off Bethesda to give them the scores they really deserve. Bethesda need to be made aware of the shortcomings so that the next iteration is the Fallout game we, they, andRPG for casual gamers only. No degradation on items, just a really long hoarding game with Skyrim like fighting. This is not an RPG and therefore this is not Fallout. What's worse is reviewers are too afraid of ticking off Bethesda to give them the scores they really deserve. Bethesda need to be made aware of the shortcomings so that the next iteration is the Fallout game we, they, and this series deserve. Expand
  46. Nov 10, 2015

To begin, not only have Bethesda not improved enough from Fallout 3, but they even regressed in several critical areas. The dialogue is beyond simplified and therefore the core of RPG lore and world-building has been eradicated almost entirely. The dialogue "options" aren't informative at all and on top of that, the game's writing is putrid. The player character's voice is even predetermined for you and nothing you do actually alters the direction of the game's narrative. This doesn't deliver the masterful narrative potential Fallout has and initially strove to achieve.

There is no choice and consequence, no reputation changes from your actions, and no feedback to anything you do. "Freedom" means nothing in an RPG when none of your available actions mean anything. I find this particularly disheartening since it saps me of any motivation to do anything when the narrative provided for those actions is not only weak, but nothing I do matters. What's truly astounding is that Bethesda actually regressed in this area since the days of Morrowind or even Oblivion where at least a basic reputation system existed and guards hailed me as the Champion of the Arena or something.

The gunplay and actual gameplay beyond dialogue and decision-branching don’t fare much better. This game is too simplified in every way right down to leveling-up and the lack of a proper RPG difficulty curve (ie. start weak, play a lot, progressively get better). The game's internal logic is highly inconsistent and the world is most certainly not immersive as a result.

Furthermore, the game is utter garbage from a technical standpoint. Remember Crysis from 2007? Heck, forget Crysis. Remember Oblivion from 2006? The game was very technically ambitious for an early 2006 title and its beauty and immersiveness benefited greatly as a result. Morrowind was the same way. However, now that Bethesda are more financially successful than ever, they've become content with recycling an ancient engine and associated assets. The result is this inconsistent Franktenstein-esque monstrosity with poor poly-counts, crap textures, archaic hardware usage, and severely lacking lighting and general effects. Bethesda from 2002 would be ashamed of this stagnant nonsense. No matter the resolution, no matter the hardware, this game is muddy and technically conservative. And yet it still performs like trash with countless bugs and glitches. Bethesda haven't advanced their animations despite all these years, either. There is no excuse for this. Bethesda have the cash, they just don't have the demand from their fans.

I used to think Bethesda's games had the potential to be legitimate art back in the Morrowind days, but now I wonder. Despite their explosive financial success, Bethesda have only managed to stagnate at best and significantly regress at worst in their delivery of masterful RPGs. It's to the point where Fallout 4 simply isn't an RPG by any knowledgeable definition. Morrowind's setting and RPG mechanics once captivated my soul and mind and led me to dream great things about the future of Bethesda RPGs. Oblivion still wasn't half-bad, particularly with the Shivering Isles expansion. Bethesda's first Fallout game (Fallout 3) had its shortcomings but was a strong seminal effort. However, Fallout 4 has crushed my decade+ old hopes and failed to even deliver an RPG let alone any semblance of the creativity and ambition that once permeated throughout Bethesda's games or Fallout in general.

I dream no more.
  47. Nov 10, 2015
    dumbed down rpg mechanics, horrible voice acting, atrocious graphics, a story that seems like it was written by a grade-schooler, and that fps. wait for the GOTY version, at least then you'll get the full story with less bugs.
  48. Nov 13, 2015
    I have never experienced so many glitches and bugs in a game to date. This is the first fallout I've ever played and I will never go back to the series. During the intro the game glitched and I had to restart as the guy who you need to follow in the bunker glitched into a wall and the game could not continue. After restarting the game I was glitched in between a wall within a few hours andI have never experienced so many glitches and bugs in a game to date. This is the first fallout I've ever played and I will never go back to the series. During the intro the game glitched and I had to restart as the guy who you need to follow in the bunker glitched into a wall and the game could not continue. After restarting the game I was glitched in between a wall within a few hours and had to load another save (which I've started doing constantly on fear of glitches). I've had 2 occasions of NPCs not displaying the dialog box, 1 occasion of a mission that won't clock off as the objective marker won't clear once talking to the person you need to. I've tried to like this game, I've played every night and I just cant work with it. The graphics are awful, I'm shocked that this is on XBOX ONE and not 360. Oh and the framerate is constantly crunching.

I've seen nothing but hype for this game on my facebook feed, but it's bloody awful, it's clunky, glitchy, frame-rate crunchy and so awful to play. It's shockingly bad. This game doesn't even hold a candle to the Witcher, ESO, Dragonage etc.

Don't waste your time and money like I have.
  49. Nov 15, 2015
    Apocalyptic amusement park of shallow mediocrity.

+ Excellent equipment customization and crafting system...best junk collection simulator out there + More vibrant "old world" art style that provides nice contrast to the wasteland, leaving stronger impression about the state of the world (in comparison to previous titles) + High quality soundtrack ( despite some recycling)...non
    Apocalyptic amusement park of shallow mediocrity.

+ High quality soundtrack ( despite some recycling)...non intrusive on the experience, while strong enough to leave an impression
    + Good Atmosphere, loot and exploration
    / Solid first person shooting mechanics, nothing exceptional, but a definite step up from previous games
    / Decent visuals and sounds
    / Settlement crafting...nice idea, but feels in an alpha stage, "tacked on" and without any ties to main story or quests
    - Classical issues with Performance, bugs, glitches...very poor optimization which is completely inexcusable when done by a studio of this size, considering it's an engine they should be VERY familiar with
    ( Funny note: Their engine is probably older than those here, who give this game a high score)
    - Horrid UI design, floaty movement, lack of game customization options, keybinding problems, poor controls
    - Retarded companion and enemy AI
    - Clumsy Melee combat, little enemy variety, unbalanced difficulty ( bullet sponges, grenade spamming...)
    - Character progression ( through both story line and game mechanics), loss of distinctive Fallout rpg elements (karma, skill checks, traits, New Vegas hardcore mode...)
    - Lore inconsistency, lack of witty humor...game has none of that Fallout "charisma"
    - Main story( cross over between Star Wars and Terminator porn, but without sex ), pacing and presentation
    - Poor Side quest design, almost all in line with Skyrim/ MMO "quality"
    - Low quality Voice acting ( even with Courtney Taylor), dialogue, characters, lip sync and animations

Personal rant:

After finishing Last of Us and Wild Hunt recently, there is a jarring, absolutely non subjective drop in quality you'll notice immediately when jumping into Fallout IV ( and No, it goes far beyond just texture resolution or flow of animations)...almost like going from Oscar winner or a great HBO drama to low budget porn.

Fallout IV is neither bad or good, but flat out feels unimpressive, uninspired, unpolished and outdated.

If this was done by a small, emerging studio, fair rating would be somewhere between 4-6, but this kind of blatant laziness and incompetence should not be rewarded.
    This game was done by a company that relies on massively influential PR to sell, while it's left to the modding scene to add any real quality to their games ( on whose efforts they also tried to cash in, since they were going bankrupt at the time).

Show some integrity and intelligence people... and instead support developers that are far more deserving of our time and money.
  50. Nov 11, 2015
    I could write pages on just the technical failures of this game at release, let alone all the problems with mechanics and writing.

To be short: I regret my purchase. This isn't a Fallout game, it's hardly even an RPG. I was quickly bored of it and have no desire to play it anymore. If you like shooters, you have better options. The same goes for RPGs. Yes, they added a boring base

Yes, they added a boring base design minigame. Other games do that far better. Okay, weapon and gear modification. Too bad all the weapon designs are awful and Bethesda thinks that adding adjectives and attachments to a limited selection of guns means variety. Power Armor is ruined if you like wearing it a lot, and made a major point of the game even to people like me who never liked using it.

They actually took away features. No karma system. No weapon/gear condition. Do you remember complaining about either of these things? Yeah, Bethesda had trouble getting the whole "moral grey area" thing in Fallout 3, but removing the concept entirely from 3D Fallout? SPECIAL and perks are completely ruined, they just act as FPS style buffs rather than anything that would really effect your play style. Skills don't even exist anymore... Is any of this at all excusable because of better shooting mechanics and a kinda cool layered armor system?

The setting's awful. Boston was probably always gonna be pretty boring compared to most major American cities (we honestly could've had a Fallout in the Deep South instead of Fallout 3.5 minus any recognizable landmarks...), but the map is tiny and the world is boring. I walked to Diamond city without anything attacking me. Even worse, I walked to Diamond city without feeling compelled to explore or investigate a single damn thing in this open world. Bethesda uses some cartoonish character designs/animations and colors that really stand out as absolutely terrible in a series that's supposed to look gritty and talk clever.

Dialogue's ruined. The wheel doesn't even accurately tell me what my character will say. You only ever have four options, which are almost always "nice response", "mean response", "sarcastic", or "question/speech check/lie". It's an absolute joke to call a game this simplified a real RPG. Oh, and Bethesda created a character with a backstory, set motivations, and A SINGLE VOICE ACTOR (per sex). I can't roleplay in this roleplaying game...

If I still haven't convinced you not to play this game (please pirate it if you have to), consider how terribly it's written. Yes, all of dialogue is contrived and boring, but the train doesn't stop there! So the main plot, with the son and spouse. Cool, I'm glad the character that Bethesda created for me cares about them, but why should I? The prewar sequence is kinda cool in a lot of ways, but it's so short and contains nothing that would make me remotely attached to the would be female player character or an extremely bad looking baby that you literally never see do anything but scream and get kidnapped. God damn, I even care more about James from FO3... Oh yeah, Bethesda started working on the concepts for the game about the father from the vault finding his son in the wasteland right after we finished the game about the son from the vault finding his father in the wasteland. Bravo, it's like poetry. I guess Bethesda really wants to waste a postapocalyptic setting on personal family stories instead of, you know, significant geopolitical developments influenced by you and your companions a la 1, 2, and New Vegas... Yet, the pacing is the most glaringly obvious problem. Within the first hour, you have power armor, a companion, a minigun (THAT DOESN'T DETERIORATE), and a few hundred caps if you aren't stupid. That "immersive" voiced player character has a pretty interesting nonexistant reaction to being thrown into the apocalypse and having to fight a ton of radioactive monsters only a few hours after he woke up and got ready. This isn't Fallout. This isn't even a good game. For anything else, a 6/10 at best. For a AAA title from one of my favorite series that was hyped up to be a real game changer, a 0 is the closest justice (next to a refund) that is deserved.
  51. Nov 10, 2015
    Bad graphics, atrocious story, horrible gunplay, boring gameplay and basicaly broken perfomance wise. This gotta be one of the greatest disapointments in the history of video games. Perfomance on xbox one is pure trash. Even the songs are the same as the ones in f3 and nv.
  52. Nov 11, 2015
    Terrible! On every level this game is a joke. Fallout 4 is a huge disappointment. I forced myself to play for over 5 hours and it only got worse as I progressed further. Too many bad points to list.
  53. Nov 11, 2015
  54. Nov 10, 2015
    -No Hardcore mode
    -"perk" system is dumbed-down skyrim
    **** characters
    -dumb story
    -boring world
    +okay shooting

If you like video games this is not the product for you
  55. Nov 11, 2015
    The game is horrible compared to Fallout 3, almost all the fun features have been removed or dumbed down.
    All there is a left is a boring, empty world with nothing meaningful to do. And to make matters worse it doesn't even work most of the time: the technical glitches and freezes make the game unplayable.

Just horrible Bethesda, just horrible.
  56. Nov 11, 2015
    DO NOT TRUST REVIEW SITES. Ever. These sites are paid or encouraged to give unrealistically high scores as part of the elaborate scheme that is marketing.

This game, when peeled from its good graphics, is a buggy mess.
  57. Nov 10, 2015
    No "Hardcore mode", no weapon/armor degradation, no reputation system, no "traits", and the plot and characters are flat.
    But you can build weapons, houses and interact with the "real" pip-boy, so who cares?

If you enjoyed New Vegas, DON'T BUY IT.
    It's FarCry with Skirym features.

Thanks Bethesda for ruining the Fallout series.
  58. Nov 10, 2015
    Worst Fallout game, after a few hours of gameplay, i saw a lot of bugs on the map. I couldn't play it anymore because i couldn't end the situation because of the bug. I though it was only by me, but my friends had the same bug. Fallout 1-3 were much better than this. Idk what they did with the time. The game is broken.
  59. May 22, 2016
    It's a disaster. The story has many loopholes and the game pretty much is devoid of any RPG elements. Your role is determined from the get go, the quests lack choices, and they completely removed the skill system. The graphics in the world are nice but the character models look terrible with bad lip syncing. There are very few random quests with a good story, and most are just MMOish goIt's a disaster. The story has many loopholes and the game pretty much is devoid of any RPG elements. Your role is determined from the get go, the quests lack choices, and they completely removed the skill system. The graphics in the world are nice but the character models look terrible with bad lip syncing. There are very few random quests with a good story, and most are just MMOish go here and kill this quests. It's just a joke. I hope Bethesda takes their work seriously with ES 6, but they won't be getting my 60 bucks either way in the future. I will hold back and wait for the complete edition on their next game. Expand
  60. Nov 10, 2015
    Game is boring and simplified. Plot is mild and characters development is pedestrian. Overall I do not recommend buying it. Much worse that its predecessors.
  61. Jan 22, 2016
    THIS ISN'T FALLOUT 3 OR NEW VEGAS, I PAID FOR FALLOUT 3 NOT SOME DUMB SHOOTY PILE OF CR*P. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO MOVE ON FROM OLD MECHANICS TO NEW THINGS LIKE BETTER GUNPLAY AND DRASTICALLY IMPROVED CHARACTER MODELS AND DIALOGUE, FRIG YOU BETHESDA. 0/10
  62. May 8, 2016
    Bethesda killed Fallout.

it is no longer an RPG with choice and consequence that also had great writing and characters. It is now just an open world theme park with terrible writing, extremely shallow RPG elements that caters to the casual crowd rather than RPG fans. The good: + Weapon crafting + Improved gunplay + Detailed character creator The bad: - No traits - No
    Bethesda killed Fallout.

The good:

+ Weapon crafting
    + Improved gunplay
    + Detailed character creator

The bad:

- No traits
    - No skill points
    - No karma
    - No faction reputation
    - Dumbed down dialogue: Yes / No / Sarcastic / I dont understand
    - No weapon/armor degrading
    - No optional hardcore mode (Needing water/food/rest)
    - Awful writing and uninspired story
    - Bad voice acting
    - Very little choice and consequence
    - Extremely buggy
    - Bad performance on all platforms
  63. May 30, 2016
    So I'm a little late to the party as the game has already been out for a while but like many, I have been waiting for the price to be a little more palatable before investing. And to cut straight to the punch I wished I had waited even longer, perhaps until Fallout 5 is released.
    I get why many people like this game but it is just riddled with too many game breaking issues for me to be among them. Yes it is a large world to wander across and I guess you can at a stretch say that you can play it through in a couple of different ways but for a AAA release in this day and age to still have your main character jumping like a poorly animated clown and clumsily bumping his way through doorways and getting caught on debris as you fail yet again to avoid a hidden mine or an unlimited supply of grenades chucked superbly by idiotic AI enemies at your feet, there really is no excuse while you reluctantly reload your last save to do the clustercluck of a mission again, only to watch your companion blunder their way into your line of fire and set some maddening excuse for a combat scenario off again.
    Like many others have stated, the RPG elements are woefully over looked and really come down to collect this and make that but ultimately any weapon or armour that you may have spent an age lovingly crafting out of a chore of ingredients can be just as easily found after killing some random villain which makes the whole effort pointless and the storyline really cannot be defended by anyone with any imagination to be more than go here and kill some dudes. There are the shelter/sim section is painful to maintain and manage and I guess the worst crime that this game is guilty of is being boring, I have plodded my way through for 20 odd hours and am just sick of every character including my own and feel no connection with any of them. Now I know that there are gamers that obviously don't think that this is the case and I'm honestly glad that there are folk out there enjoying themselves but when you consider games with plots and characters like the Mass Effect series and sublime animations and character movements of titles like the previous Uncharted games, all of which came out years ago, then there really is no excuse for such a clumsy and ugly offering to be slapped on the shelves (and by ugly I don't even mean the shonky graphics but rather the nasty interface, debilitating controls and all-round laziness of the design)
    I am a long time gamer, I have played everything from the original Elite on my Acorn Electron to Angry Birds on my phone and everything in-between so I am not new to gaming or the flaws that can be found in even the best games but the very essence of this title really does just make me shake my head. We should be expecting better of such big releases and the studios should be a hell of a lot more innovative rather than just banging out something so very broken. Shame on them.
  64. Mar 19, 2016
    The game is horrible. The quests are boring as f*** and always about killing everyone. You will die 100+ times while doing them. You don't even need VATS anymore, just point and shoot. The wasteland itself feels dull and empty.
  65. Pee
    Jun 12, 2016
    Fallout 4 was a big disappointment to me. I, at the time of writing this review, have never played a single Fallout game, but I have played Skyrim and loved it, so I figured FO:4 would be like Skyrim in a nuclear wasteland, boy was I wrong. The game has no RPG element, other than designing what your character looks like. The new voiced dialogue is horrendous and gives vague optionsFallout 4 was a big disappointment to me. I, at the time of writing this review, have never played a single Fallout game, but I have played Skyrim and loved it, so I figured FO:4 would be like Skyrim in a nuclear wasteland, boy was I wrong. The game has no RPG element, other than designing what your character looks like. The new voiced dialogue is horrendous and gives vague options like, Choice = Sorry, Character says: "Sorry your daughter was too stupid to not run away", on top of that, practically everything you say is just another way of saying yes. Pretty much it goes like this: yes = yes, no = yes, sarcastic = yes, whereas in Skyrim, your choices would actually affect the quest. Also, the story in general is just boring. I had to force myself to play a bit more before just giving up. There were also some things that didn't make sense, like, how is it that your character's wife can easily use a power armor without any training? I understand how your military-veteran could do it, but his inexperienced wife? The game didn't come with choices as well. In Skyrim, you were the hero of the land, but you could still be evil. In FO:4, however, you can simply be slightly naughty in how you phrase things. The only thing Bethesda did well was in making a stable gun play system. In fact, FO:4 is mostly an adventure-shooter rather than an RPG.

As a shooter 7/10

As an RPG 4/10

I didn't like this and I just can't imagine how a hard-core fan feels, don't waste your time on this game.
  66. Oct 14, 2016
    The Post-Season pass review of Fallout 4 from a dedicated Fallout fan:

The Post-Season pass review of Fallout 4 from a dedicated Fallout fan:

I will be frank, I don't think Bethesda had the players in mind when they made the game. The initial release of the game was SOOO exciting for me, and I was met with a dilemma a couple weeks after playing the game a bit. Get this, I bought an Xbox One JUST to play Fallout 4 because my laptop isn't strong enough to handle the game in its full glory; I loved the last 2 fallout titles so much that I didn't need to play the game to know it was incredible and full of gameplay.

But I was wrong.

At first, I was amazed by all of the new mechanics. I didn't particularly care for how they changed VATs, power armor, level up system, or how the every-playthrough-worthy companion Dogmeat was reduced to a dumb ass german shepard whose sole purpose is to get in the way of your walking path and line of fire, or the "Legendary Items" system. What they focused on were the aesthetics of the game- a giant, seemingly full map full of variety, and remodeling the creatures and weapons, and they left out crucial components that made Fallout 3, New Vegas, and even Skyrim amazingly fun, high-replay value games.

After 2 weeks of playing it and accumulating around a hundred hours of gameplay, I stopped my wishful thinking that the game would get better and realized that they RUINED fallout. There were always missions and items that I had fun doing and obtaining solely from the knowledge and experience of my last playthrough, which added life to the game. For instance, in New Vegas, I always got Chance's Knife, Love and Hate, and the YCS gauss rifle as soon as I started the game- they were my favorite weapons in every playthrough, and were as powerful as the skill points I assigned to them were- much like The Terrible Shotgun in Fallout 3, or how I walked to get dogmeat immediately after entering the wasteland. There were plenty of unique items and interactions that I thoroughly enjoy and remember from both of those games- I could go on for hours and hours. The point being, the variety of experiences kept my interest peaked for long periods of time, and with so much to do in one save, it was never dull to see or do those things again, maybe differently in the next playthrough.

Fallout 4 demolished that value. I played fallout 3 all the way through countless times, totaling about 1200 hours of gameplay. I played New Vegas almost 40 times- totaling abut 1600 hours. I played skyrim until I just simply couldn't have a new experience- for over 2500 hours.

I.

F***ing.

Love.

Bethesda.

But fallout 4 is soooooo monotonous. They made a map that was way too big to fill and they bit off more than they could chew filling it with unique things to do. The glowing sea for instance takes up about 1/8th of the total map and literally the only thing there is a high chance to spawn monsters. There are no unique items to tiptoe through hordes of deathclaws to, nor are there even any items to pick up for that matter. Its a walkthrough gallery of CGI garbage- literally. There is a giant city, FULL of locations to discover and massive buildings, but most of them have nothing more than low-level enemies and scrap in them.

When it comes down to it, the most substantial amount of your time with fallout 4 is collecting BS so that you can build a crappy settlement that serves no real purpose but to house your mounds upon mounds of worthless loot and trading for ammo which always seems to be in short supply- no matter how powerful your weapon- another bothersome aspect. I can't simply walk to Evergreen Mills and get myself a legendary weapon that is universally good against enemies, I have to make due with the OKAY weapons that you need a ton of parts and leveling to improve.

The story of this game is trash. "Like, dude, what if in fallout 4, instead of a son wanting to venture out of the safety of the vault to find his dad, we had a dad in a vault he didn't want to be venture out to find his son?" On that note, I think enough is said. The idea of the institute and androids being connected- is just forced. It would be like finding out your dad was the leader of the enclave in fallout 3. It's just stupidly unoriginal.

And to top off the rest of the disappointments, the season pass was about as worthless to improving the game as possible. It just forced a bunch of impractical devices and patch-worthy new items into the crafting menu, and included 2 very small, clearly rushed expansion packs known as Far Harbor and Nuka World. The rest of the DLCs were low-interest settlement upgrades that people would have just modded into the damn game if they really wanted them.

THAT is why I think it deserves a 1/10. One point for keeping my stupid, gullible ass occupied for about 250 hours. Had they released the DLC all at once, I would have stopped after realizing there was nothing more to come. Here is 5000 characters worth of what I think of Fallout 4, summarized:

OVERHYPED MEDIOCRITY
  67. Oct 2, 2016
    Disappointed with this game from Bethesda from whom I expected more. I spent 48 hours desperately trying to like this game. The lockpicking was as close as this game came to being anywhere near as good as Skyrim. I just couldn't immerse myself in my character and environment; the desolation, the cringe-worthy, irritating VATS sound effects, the endless & pointless goals (collect this,Disappointed with this game from Bethesda from whom I expected more. I spent 48 hours desperately trying to like this game. The lockpicking was as close as this game came to being anywhere near as good as Skyrim. I just couldn't immerse myself in my character and environment; the desolation, the cringe-worthy, irritating VATS sound effects, the endless & pointless goals (collect this, clear that), the cumbersome PIP boy interface, the lack of connection to other characters in the game. In a word, this game was depressing. I bought Fallout 3 years ago and never played it but now after reading that it was better than 4, I'll be going back to compare. It couldn't be worse. Expand
  68. Dec 9, 2017
    this is not fallout, this is stupid shooter.

this is not fallout, this is stupid shooter.

In this game there is no RPG component of the word at all, the most lame dialogues and uninteresting quests, here you can not play any role, you're either a good warrior or a good housewife, quests are not memorable, except that quest where you are traveling on the mind of Kelog, the ending is just horror, this fallout breaks the story of the series completely, New Vegas turned out much better. (If there are any errors in the text and some nonsense is written, say thank you to Google translator)
  69. Nov 16, 2015
    Excellent music. too bad that doesnt make up for this mess. Critic reviews are lies. dont say i didnt warn you.

ACT I SCENE I. Elsinore. A platform before the castle. FRANCISCO at his post. Enter to him BERNARDO BERNARDO Who's there? FRANCISCO Nay, answer me: stand, and unfold yourself. BERNARDO Long live the king! FRANCISCO Bernardo? BERNARDO He.

ACT I
    SCENE I. Elsinore. A platform before the castle.

FRANCISCO at his post. Enter to him BERNARDO

Who's there?

FRANCISCO

Nay, answer me: stand, and unfold yourself.

Long live the king!

Bernardo?

He.

FRANCISCO

You come most carefully upon your hour.

BERNARDO

'Tis now struck twelve; get thee to bed, Francisco.

FRANCISCO

For this relief much thanks: 'tis bitter cold,
    And I am sick at heart.

BERNARDO

Have you had quiet guard?

Not a mouse stirring.

BERNARDO

Well, good night. If you do meet Horatio and Marcellus, The rivals of my watch, bid them make haste. FRANCISCO I think I hear them. Stand, ho! Who's there? Enter HORATIO and MARCELLUS HORATIO Friends to this ground. MARCELLUS And liegemen to the Dane. FRANCISCO Give you good night. MARCELLUS O, farewell, honest soldier: Who hath relieved you? FRANCISCO Bernardo has my place. Give you good night. Exit MARCELLUS Holla! Bernardo! BERNARDO Say, What, is Horatio there? HORATIO A piece of him. BERNARDO Welcome, Horatio: welcome, good Marcellus. MARCELLUS What, has this thing appear'd again to-night? BERNARDO I have seen nothing. MARCELLUS Horatio says 'tis but our fantasy, And will not let belief take hold of him Touching this dreaded sight, twice seen of us: Therefore I have entreated him along With us to watch the minutes of this night; That if again this apparition come, He may approve our eyes and speak to it. HORATIO Tush, tush, 'twill not appear. BERNARDO Sit down awhile; And let us once again assail your ears, That are so fortified against our story What we have two nights seen. HORATIO Well, sit we down, And let us hear Bernardo speak of this. BERNARDO Last night of all, When yond same star that's westward from the pole Had made his course to illume that part of heaven Where now it burns, Marcellus and myself, The bell then beating one,-- Enter Ghost MARCELLUS Peace, break thee off; look, where it comes again! BERNARDO In the same figure, like the king that's dead. MARCELLUS Thou art a scholar; speak to it, Horatio. BERNARDO Looks it not like the king? mark it, Horatio. HORATIO Most like: it harrows me with fear and wonder. BERNARDO It would be spoke to. MARCELLUS Question it, Horatio. HORATIO What art thou that usurp'st this time of night, Together with that fair and warlike form In which the majesty of buried Denmark Did sometimes march? by heaven I charge thee, speak! MARCELLUS It is offended. BERNARDO See, it stalks away! HORATIO Stay! speak, speak! I charge thee, speak! Exit Ghost MARCELLUS 'Tis gone, and will not answer. BERNARDO How now, Horatio! you tremble and look pale: Is not this something more than fantasy? What think you on't? HORATIO Before my God, I might not this believe Without the sensible and true avouch Of mine own eyes. MARCELLUS Is it not like the king? HORATIO As thou art to thyself: Such was the very armour he had on When he the ambitious Norway combated; So frown'd he once, when, in an angry parle, He smote the sledded Polacks on the ice. 'Tis strange. MARCELLUS Thus twice before, and jump at this dead hour, With martial stalk hath he gone by our watch. HORATIO In what particular thought to work I know not; But in the gross and scope of my opinion, This bodes some strange eruption to our state. MARCELLUS Good now, sit down, and tell me, he that knows, Why this same strict and most observant watch So nightly toils the subject of the land, And why such daily cast of brazen cannon, And foreign mart for implements of war; Why such impress of shipwrights, whose sore task Does not divide the Sunday from the week; What might be toward, that this sweaty haste Doth make the night joint-labourer with the day: Who is't that can inform me? HORATIO That can I; At least, the whisper goes so. Our last king, Whose image even but now appear'd to us, Was, as you know, by Fortinbras of Norway, Thereto prick'd on by a most emulate pride, Dared to the combat; in which our valiant Hamlet-- For so this side of our known world esteem'd him-- Did slay this Fortinbras; who by a seal'd compact, Well ratified by law and heraldry, Did forfeit, with his life, all those his lands Which he stood seized of, to the conqueror: Against the which, a moiety competent Was gaged by our king; which had return'd To the inheritance of Fortinbras, Had he been vanquisher; as, by
  70. Sep 26, 2016
    In a word – boring. Game play sucks. You must quick save every 10 seconds. The game has zero flow. The story is worthless. You spend a lot of time running around looking for items to build things rather than having fun. The enemies you face are boring as hell. The dialog you have with in-game characters is tedious and does not change the game at all. Do not believe any positive reviews.In a word – boring. Game play sucks. You must quick save every 10 seconds. The game has zero flow. The story is worthless. You spend a lot of time running around looking for items to build things rather than having fun. The enemies you face are boring as hell. The dialog you have with in-game characters is tedious and does not change the game at all. Do not believe any positive reviews. This is a piece of crap. Bethesa phoned this one in for a quick buck. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  71. Jun 19, 2016
    Hated it. Couldn't even play it because the voice acting and the writing were horrible. Everything I liked about the game was gone. Traded it in within a week. This is the last Fallout game for me. I am officially done!
  72. Jan 9, 2017
    I have 1564 hours in FO3. I have 2169 hours in FO:NV. So I am definitely a FO fanboy. I have 44 hours into FO4. Haven't played in weeks. Bethesda killed Fallout for me.
    "Mediocre" is an exaggeration for the action and gunplay, which feels so f******g Call of Duty that I want to tear my hair out.
    Good graphics. Like the loot system, even light as it is. Hate the new perk system. Not a fan of most of the pathetic weapon sounds.

Bethesda killed the immersion of a well-written dialogue system, which kept me so engaged and immersed for literally thousands of hours in previous FO games.. Story is such **** that I turned off my xbox one 44 hours in and haven't been back.
    They also lost the 50's apocalyptic feel of previous titles. They took my beloved series and crammed so much mass appeal into it that I fear the franchise is just going to be game after game of similar b******t, churned out COD fashion every couple years.
    I will not spend money on DLC. The game has little replay value, unless you really love pointless, shallow grinds with unending slaps in the face every time you have to dialogue with NPC's.

After everything that made Skyrim, and previous FO's great, I have lost my faith in Bethesda with this offering. I am not even angry...just overwhelmingly sad.
  73. Dec 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, this was a bad game for me. I couldn't finish it because I lost direction of the main quest and got sick and tired of rescuing the settlers. (I absolutely loved Fallout: New Vegas and even though it was open world too it made sense.) Inventory control was just so tedious and painful. I found someone's flow chart of the main quests, faction quests, side quests, etc. and how they tied together and the complexity sickened me. Felt happy when I accepted that I just wanted to quit--and did. With an average user score of 6.2 this game is a loser. Also...I picked Nora and wanted to rescue her baby. After she watched the Institute murder her husband and take Shaun and then she escapes I missed one of the greatest upsets for me...discovering her son is now 60 years old and her senior--give me a break... Good bye Fallout and good riddance! Expand
  74. May 3, 2017
    I love the fallout series from the start. My order of best to worse is the following: Fallout2, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 1, Fallout 3 and now Fallout 4. Please let me explain that order is also based on nostalgia, if taken separate NV and FO3 are the best followed by 2 and 1. Brotherhood of steel etc was lame, but FO4 is very disappointing. They managed to make the game boring, which isI love the fallout series from the start. My order of best to worse is the following: Fallout2, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 1, Fallout 3 and now Fallout 4. Please let me explain that order is also based on nostalgia, if taken separate NV and FO3 are the best followed by 2 and 1. Brotherhood of steel etc was lame, but FO4 is very disappointing. They managed to make the game boring, which is quite impressive to do. From the start i do not feel immersed at all. The story is lame, You are actually re-frozen after they kill your wife and take your son. Without more info perhaps i am looking for my son 200 years after he has been taken meaning he is dead now. Also let me just do a dozen of side quests and perhaps build a base in the middle of nowhere doing nothing while my son, the most important part of my life, is somewhere kidnapped if still alive. That for me kills it. That is a massive story hole and that combined with ridiculous weapons and armor, more from a crappy sci-fi rather then post nuclear (where you work with what you can find) makes this the most boring and disappointing game i have picked up in the past 4 years.

--I have now edited it a year after my review --
    I upped it from 1 to 3 as a 1 is not really fair.
    pro's: I appreciate the building system that is in FO4, it will be gaming of the future. Sadly those are all the pro's.
    Cons: Not a Fallout game. Weapons and armor are poor, The world is uninteresting, it does not engage me to walk around and explore at all, no interesting quests or charachters. A FPS rather then a RPG
  75. Jun 8, 2018
    Worst game in the franchise: Very tiresome, boring, and character interactions are lame. The plot in this game is dull and it's the same map as previous games with nothing fun but agitation. Disappointment of a game, no good story at all, the beginning, however, was okay.
  76. Oct 9, 2016
    If you've played the this series from the first game on it's just dissapointing how far it developed away from a story-based RPG to a shooter. It's still cool to explore that world - but at what cost? It would be nice to see remakes of the classics with that engine. Still fun, still playable, lots of opportunities, but it feels kind of empty for me.
  77. Dec 21, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fallout 4 a boring and broken game that offers nothing new or interesting to the table, Unlike its predecessors fallout 3 and new Vegas that have offered something unique and interesting. Fallout 4 is good in that you can explore a big open world with a few fun side quest like the Siver Shroud mission and finding the death claw egg. Otherwise 95% of the side quest are either helping settlements or killing targets for caps. Many times you have repeat the same god dam quest over again. Talk about lazy and uncreative. The story and game itself offers no real choices or dissection to make that give you consequences for your actions. You are stuck doing the something over and over again with a clichéd story. The worst part that brakes the game completely is the Underground Undercover main quest that prevents me f Expand

1. Jan 8, 2016
    Fallout 4 is truly a remarkable experience and you need to play it.
  2. Games Master UK
    Jan 3, 2016
    Sometimes beautiful, a bit broken, and really quite brilliant in many places, forgiving fans will adore Fallout 4. [Christmas 2015, p.60]
  3. More Fallout 3.9 than 4, but still absolutely essential. Skyrim 2 has a hard act to follow. [Jan 2016, p.67]