7.2

1. Jun 6, 2014
    All I can really say is thank goodness this is part of the Games with Gold for the Xbox one. While the mechanics are interesting and work for most of the game, when it comes to the final boss battle, they actually hinder your ability to effectively combat Mustachio. And the ending seems a bit rushed and lack luster in my opinion.
  2. Jun 7, 2014
    This game is bad for being free. Please don't listen to these 10/10 reviews as they are obviously from the game's devs. Seriously though this game is bad for being FREE. Stupid puzzles and outrageously slow gameplay.
  3. Jul 5, 2014
    I got this game for free off of Xbox's "Games for Gold" system, and boy am I glad I did not pay a penny for this game, because if I had I would have been SOOO heated! The graphics are okay. They look pleasantly cartoony but glitch quite frequently. The physics engine is absolutely broken which is quite sad, as that is the only part of this game that really matters. It is "a physics basedI got this game for free off of Xbox's "Games for Gold" system, and boy am I glad I did not pay a penny for this game, because if I had I would have been SOOO heated! The graphics are okay. They look pleasantly cartoony but glitch quite frequently. The physics engine is absolutely broken which is quite sad, as that is the only part of this game that really matters. It is "a physics based puzzle game" where the physics don't work half the time. The entire game is based off of the physics, but oftentimes I felt frauded by doing a puzzle right and then it not working because the objects within the puzzle glitched or moved in a completely unnatural way. Then I would do the puzzle the exact same way and it would work, but it wouldn't be satisfying because I died before while making no mistake.

Also, the entire game feels like a huge tutorial level. You get a power for your pen, you use it for a couple of levels, and then you get a new one, and then you use it for a couple of levels, and this continues until you reach the final boss which is the only moment where everything comes together and it feels like you learning all of those powers was worthwhile in the slightest.

The gameplay is also extremely slow paced. Every few levels there will be a relatively exciting part (which isn't saying much) where you will slide down a hill and then use your pen in slow motion. This would be fine if they weren't the only exciting parts and they weren't almost exactly the same every time.

Another thing that kind of annoyed me is the puzzles make you think that you can solve them in a bunch of different creative ways, however when it actually comes down to it, you have to draw the shape it wants you to pixel perfect just to get the puzzle to work at all. The puzzles are all based off of a gimmick that isn't entertaining, which is drawing differently shaped lines.

Overall this game is just absolutely awful. Normally I wouldn't complain because it's a free game, but I honestly felt like I should have been payed for playing this game because of how tedious and boring it was. But I wasn't, unlike all of the developers that wrote the massive amount of positive reviews you see here. If you are considering buying this game for any amount of money, please don't. I'm sorry if this sounded like a rant instead of a review, but it's honestly just that bad of a game.

1. Sep 29, 2014
    Max: Curse of the Brotherhood is overall a pretty good game, with some fantastic puzzle mechanics and a nice adventure feeling. Unfortunately the game is too basic for its own best, and the moments you will remember are few.
  2. May 12, 2014
    It’s not as fascinating as the touch (or gesture) based predecessor, but it is an interesting mixture of platforming and physics based puzzles nonetheless.
  3. Apr 13, 2014
    Max The Curse of Brotherhood is a fun and challenging 2.5D platformer that will be able to keep you attached to the pad for its entire duration, despite too many bugs and an unstable framerate.