7.1

1. Dec 21, 2013
    Okay, honestly, this game was better than expected. I really love side strollers.
    It's real fun, and something different to offer. The story is great, and one thing I really like is the gameplay, controls, and setting.
    It's worth it.

Absolutely better than expected.
    Anyways, Merry Christmas everyone!
  2. Dec 21, 2013
    The graphics are amazing and the gameplay is better than I expected. If you like classic feeling side scrollers Max will surely put a smile on your face. Highly recommended.
  3. Dec 22, 2013
    Amazing game with amazing pixar graphics, cool story which reminds me of old classical game stories, retro games on NES and SNES. Amazing gameplay with awesome mechanics. The whole idea of the pencil drawing items in the real world is a good idea, and while it was decently accomplished on IOS and PC, the game is way more fun with its amazing graphics.
  4. Dec 23, 2013
    Great game, this is the first Xbox One game I have 100% achievements. Its not too hard, but I didn't mind playing the game again and again to get the achievements and challenges!
  5. Dec 23, 2013
    This is a good game. I had a lot of fun playing it. Reminds me a bit of Limbo but obviously not as dark. If you can imagine Limbo as a Pixar movie you got it. I am not sure how far through the game I am but I think maybe 1/3 of the way. It may not have much replay value but it is a nice surprise game and the price ($15) is completely reasonable.
  6. Dec 24, 2013
    In a one word review I would say this game was "fun". It will take you around an hour or so to get a grasp of the controls but once you do the experience will take over. With beautiful graphics and creative puzzles this game is a must by especially since it is under $20 bucks.
  7. Dec 24, 2013
    fresh air to platform games. very funny and easy to play. No nextgen graphics but very nice and integrated. This game is a must have if you are platform game lover.
  8. Feb 17, 2014
    Like this game a lot. I hesitated for a while wasn't quite sure if it was for me. Glad I decided to give it a go.Really fun game. Well worth the price. Looks fabulous on Xbox One.
  9. Mar 3, 2014
    This is an absolute outrage on how this game is getting such low reviews. Seems like its just a bunch of PS4 fanboys coming on here giving negative reviews to Xbox games.

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is up there with Resogun and Flower for quality and gameplay for an arcade game on Xbox One. It's only $15 and is a great pick up for a large variety of audiences. I did not find the
    controls frustrating in any way like others are stating. Trial and Error? Maybe if that's how you choose to play it. This is puzzle game that has basic puzzles to start and as you progress they get slightly difficult. The game is meant to be fun and enjoyable. The 1080p 60fps gameplay and colorful visuals make it enjoyable to watch. The most difficult part of this game is the timed puzzles where you are running away from enemies. Very rarely there are some jumps/sections that might not be set up right and you fall to your death repeatedly until you pass that section. This may be the only issue with this game. It's not that glitchy at all.

If you enjoy games play Rayman: Legends, Limbo, and mini arcade games. This is one of the best pick ups on Xbox one right now.
  10. Dec 23, 2013
    Game looks amazing and really fun to play. If they had integrated smart glass as an alternate way to draw then I would have given it a 10. Really a nice diversion to all the shooters and a great way to spend time with the family.
  11. Dec 28, 2013
    Fun,challenging,and cinematic. Me and my family had a blast playing this puzzle platformer this Christmas. It's just as fun to play as it is to watch. Graphics of this game on my Plasma is bonkers. I'm looking forward to more of these type games this Gen. Salute to Press Play for developing such a nice game at a good price.
  12. Dec 31, 2013
    Awesome game. Love the style and the puzzles. 1 point short of 10 because I think they could have done more with some of the secrets and made the game even bigger. Had a lot of fun, not too frustrating but not too easy either. I cracked up when I saw mostacho, what a villain. And his mustache statue I passed through one of the levels. Just awesome. Good price tag which is why I grabbed it. I'll remember this game Expand
  13. Jan 2, 2014
    The first and only game i have completed 100% including all achievements. I bought ti was it is cheap and there are a limited supply of next gen games right now. However what I got was a huge suprise. Dont get me wrong, its not next gen, this could have been done on the 360 but it still looks beautiful and the game play is superb. I really enjoyed this experience and it kept me busy for a good few days. One of my games of 2013 along with the last of us. Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2014
    Nice little game for a very very reasonable price. Beautiful graphics, nice look & feel and the game has been made with a lot of attention to detail. Very original gameplay! Maybe to easy, but what is wrong with easy once in a while?
  15. Feb 14, 2014
  16. Dec 25, 2013
    This game is an absolute must buy for all Xbone owners. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is a charming, enjoyable, and intelligent game with puzzles ranging from easy as pie, to hard as hell. The graphics are absolutely stunning and really help bring the world to life. If you've heard certain reviewers complain about the controls in the game, never fear, they have no idea what they are talking about. This game controls easily and precisely (based on your skill level of course).

In conclusion, this game is definitely worth the purchase. You won't regret it.

17. Dec 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A super addictive and fun! Worth checking out! The are doing quite fun, full of challenges, looks up to a kkk limbo so that color. The story is deep andis, better envouvente. The graphics are very good for being an indie. It is generic as they say, he train his own brilliance. Expand
  18. Dec 26, 2013
    Outstanding graphics and level design. All the stages are very well made with great puzzles and excellent controls. Everything works perfectly with max, even its simple story, where it doesn't lose time trying to be consistent, but focusing in entertain. Max is a delightful surprise for 15 bucks, and worth every second you play it.
  19. Jun 5, 2014
    Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is a nice, simple sidescroller accompanied by graphics equivalent to an animated film, and is a challenging and enjoyable platformer to play when you're just bored.
  20. Dec 28, 2013
    I was on the fence about this game because of the average reviews, but I am so glad I bought this. This game gives me that old school plat former vibe but with a creative new twist, the marker. The marker adds a new dimension to the platformer genre and really spices up the gameplay. The game has beautiful graphics and a unique art style that compliments the game well.

As for the
    controls, I don't see how anyone could have any issues. They are extremely easy to grasp and don't hinder the game in any way. The levels are diverse and unique and really show off the excellent gameplay. The game is not that long, around 5-6 hours for me, but there is replay value in the form of eye collectibles, artifact pieces, and achievements. This game is a platforming gem and if you enjoy the genre I highly recommend it. I am having a lot of fun playing this game and I believe this game deserves a much higher rating. It is only $14.99 so go pick it up and have a blast.

Graphics/Art Style-9
    Gameplay-9
    Replay Value-9

Overall-9/10
  21. Dec 30, 2013
    Great game too be honest. It is fun and challenging at the same time. It also has an interesting storyline. All in all, i think that the game is at least worth a try.
  22. Jan 13, 2014
    Very good and fun game that'll give you ~6 hours of solid entertainment. It's not the most challenging game, but is challenging enough to keep you having to work just enough to get past the next puzzle. Many of the other reviews have touched on many of the positives, but I think its simple enough to say that if you own an Xbox One, this is a great game to have. Don't expect a full AAA experience, but this is also an indie title with a budget price. Expand
  23. Jan 24, 2014
    Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is an example of what downloadable titles on Xbox One should be like. It's a beautiful game, it gives you your money's worth, and it's a lot of fun. I was blown away by this title, and it just falls short of a 10 in my opinion.
    GRAPHICS(10) Max is simply a beautiful game. It's also very diverse, as you will cross through forests, deserts, caves, waterfalls,
    etc. Even a week after playing it, I would still shake my head thinking about how pretty everything looks.
    PRESENTATION(9): Microsoft Studios does an excellent job of presenting the story, with beautiful cutscenes throughout the game. There are some portions of the game, however, that do lack story advancement, but it's a very minor complaint.
    GAMEPLAY(10): Max has a brilliant mix of platforming and exploration. At times it can be difficult, however, so be prepared for a few frustrating moments.
    CONTROL(8): Maybe the only part of the game with legitimate issues. The controls are certainly not bad, but when things get difficult, the flakiness of the controls can cause problems. Again, nothing big, but definitely a minor drawback.
    FUN(10): I really had a lot of fun playing Max. The story is at times funny, the overall atmosphere is great, and the gameplay is really challenging.
    OVERALL(9): With it's minor issues of player control and some overly difficult, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood just misses a 10, but this is still my most enjoyable experience on the Xbox One so far next to Ryse.
  24. Feb 3, 2014
    Beautiful Pixar-like graphics and fun puzzle platforming are what make this game great. The puzzles are challenging without being too frustrating so that when you solve a tough one you feel smart. The pace is good and there are some fun action sequences. Definitely worth the low price.
  25. May 26, 2014
    Probably the best platformer game since Super Mario. The marker is awesome with all the powers and abilities you get while going deeper into the story. Great puzzles where you need to use the environment and things in clever ways to move on. The last boss fight is epic. A lot of replay value. Story will take around 7 to 8 hours to bea. 100% recommended
  26. May 29, 2014
    This game in a word is... fun. The story is charming and brilliantly narrated. It has imaginative levels & Max has some very creative special abilities. It's atmospheric, and the game feels very well produced and polished...as if Pixar has been working on it. Of course, it's not Dark Souls when it comes to difficulty, but so what. This is a different game. It's not designed to frustrate you. It has good puzzles, some deaths, and plenty of surprises, but not to the point where you'll throw you're gamepad away. I played this game with my eight year old daughter and we both loved it. It's an excellent choice for a family friendly game, but not by any means saccharine. If you're looking for some good classic gaming fun in a modern 2D platformer go for this. At the price they are selling it for it's an absolute bargain. Expand
  27. May 29, 2014
    This game is fantastic!! Very creative and you need to think quickly in this game. Graphics are very animated and colorful. I thoroughly enjoyed this game and its free on Xbox One in June.... Hope they make a sequel. This game was seriously underrated and did not receive the spotlight I believe it should have....
  28. Jun 18, 2014
    First of all, I haven't finished the game yet. Hopefully, I can come back here and edit this review. I suggest anyone wanting to play this game ti completely ignore the 43 (Red Reviews) as most of those are from Sony PS4 childish fanboys who are trying to forth the User's Score to a low level. The lowest I can see this game getting is a 6/10. I heard everything about how the game was very hard and unfair. How the controls were terrible and unresponsive at times. This couldn't be more further from the truth. The game is excellent. The graphics are well done.

You play as Max, the older brother of Felix. Max comes home from school and sees his little brother playing with his toys and smashing some cars and trucks. Annoyed with having a pain in the butt little brother Max decides to get rid of his brother. He finds a spell on the internet and chats it. This opens a interstellar space/time hole to another world. Felix is sucked in and Max jumps through after him. Max must now rescue his brother from the evil Mustachio and his scary monsters. Max will slide, swing, jump, fall and soar in the air as he tries to get through each challenging environment. There are lots of puzzles to solve and dungeons to explore. The game can get difficult. You're going to die a lot, but thankfully there are lots of checkpoints to keep you moving forward. Along the way you'll meet a magical witch who gives you a large market with the powers to create ropes, pillars, waters funnels and fireballs. You will need to use these abilities with you platforming skills to get through eat level. Most of the puzzles are easy, but there are a few tough ones that will challenge you. Think "Limbo" like challenges. The game is pretty long. I thought I'd beat it in a couple hours, but I've been playing it for more then 4hrs now. I beat Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons in 2-1/2 hours. Max's game is about 4-6 hours and you'll still have to go back and gather all the collectibles to be found in the game.

The game is a lot of fun and there is some humor and scares here and there. The controls are pretty precise. Not sure why some people didn't like how it played. Thankfully, you can control Max in midair or else this game would be a lot harder. This is a must have, especially since it's currently FREE on XB1. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it. I'm giving this game a 9/10 as it has everything I love in a platforming game. The only thing that's a little weak is the story.
  29. Jun 21, 2014
    I played for a few hours straight. A very addictive game. I wasn't expecting much form a free game for the xbox one. Really well done. The mechanics are top notch.
  30. Jun 29, 2014
    What a great little gem of a game! Colourful graphics, fantastic level design and great game mechanics. I wasn't going to even look at this if it wasn't free with games for gold, but glad I downloaded it! Even at the normal price of £11.99 you would get a bargain.
    The game vaguely reminds me of abes odeysee which includes the charm, thought out puzzles and suspense of being tailed by
    foes. If you like that sort of game you won't be disappointed with Max curse of brotherhood!
    PROS:
    Gorgeous graphics, looks like a Pixar movie in places!!
    Inventive & ingenious level design
    Bargain if you get free with games with gold, even if you pay the full price it's worth it!
    CONS:
    A little too short, can be completed easily in a day, wanted more
    Story is forgettable, Max's voice can grate a bit!

Overall a 9 out of 10 from me, a little gem!!

Honest and unbiased reviews from Steelselecta!
  31. Jul 2, 2014
    I know this review is late, but this game has impressed me to the extent that I feel it necessary to actually review it at this late stage.
    Despite obviously being intended for younger audiences, the game holds its ground well in difficulty, art style, and plot. The game indtoduces a new concept regularly, so using different materials like vine, earth, branches, water etc. This leads to
    gameplay and puzzles that are consistently unique. The best levels are those where you have to use multiple types of materials in cooperation, so you can progress.
    This is an intelligent, well thought-out game that can easily justify £10/$15, and luckily, you can get it for free w/ Games with Gold. My advice is... Go for it!
  32. Jul 3, 2014
    Was going to overlook this game. Holy !@#$ I'm glad that I didn't! It starts off a little slow, but stick with it. Game gets insanely good! Suprised me on several occasions. Even had me going HOLY $#@! WTF! O_O SWEEEEEET!
  33. Jul 22, 2014
    A beautiful throwback to old school games where puzzle solving and skillful platforming go hand in hand. There is often more than one solution to each "screen" and the physics based manipulations can cause hilarious consequences as vines, tree branches and other editable world items can be combined in sometimes unintended ways. The artwork and animation are top notch with gorgeous lighting and coloring in each varied area. As an Xbox live Gold free download it's an absolute must have. I found it to be a lot of fun and very addicting. Now I'm coaching my son through it as he gives it a play. Watching his young mind work to figure out solutions and sometimes coming up with different solutions than I came up with has been a real joy. People may buy a new console for "BIG" games like Titanfall and Battlefield, but it's games like Max and Child of Light that really give the console and the Live service value. The only reason I didn't give the game a score of perfect 10 is because the main character isn't really all that likable and the story could have used more depth. So much thought went into the game mechanics, why not make the characters and story stronger as well? Expand

1. May 12, 2014
    It’s not as fascinating as the touch (or gesture) based predecessor, but it is an interesting mixture of platforming and physics based puzzles nonetheless.
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    Max The Curse of Brotherhood is a fun and challenging 2.5D platformer that will be able to keep you attached to the pad for its entire duration, despite too many bugs and an unstable framerate.
  3. Mar 7, 2014
    It will take casual players around seven hours to complete, but there is little reason to come back to the game after the climactic finish, which makes this title difficult to recommend to everyone.