5.5

1. Mar 18, 2014
    This is not a game. It is a $30 demo. And the flaws don't stop there. The graphics are nowhere near what the trailers promised, enemy AI doesn't respond to your helicopter, the game plays out like Michael Bay movie, side missions are 5 minutes long. One of them is a forced on-rails sequence.
  2. Apr 27, 2014
    Shame on you Kojima and Konami. $40 dollars for at best, a demo!? Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and the presentation and story aspect are well done, but the gameplay didn't strike me as revolutionary like MGS4 and the brevity of the game just kills it (beat it in under an hour and I died/messed up a couple of times too). Also new Snake voice actor is not nearly as good as DavidShame on you Kojima and Konami. $40 dollars for at best, a demo!? Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and the presentation and story aspect are well done, but the gameplay didn't strike me as revolutionary like MGS4 and the brevity of the game just kills it (beat it in under an hour and I died/messed up a couple of times too). Also new Snake voice actor is not nearly as good as David Hayter. Maybe Phantom Pain will still be great but this is just sad. I may not be the biggest fan of Metal Gear but even I'm disappointed by this. Other gaming companies better not start pulling this crap. Expand
  3. Mar 19, 2014
    In a world where DLCs run upwards to 15-20 dollars, this would have been an easy 10 for such a price. The gameplay, presentation, graphics (for the story mode - the day time graphics seemed to be a clear step down) were top notch. The story seems to be setting up nicely though (and as much as I braced myself for this) was embarrassingly and shamefully too short. The replay value is aIn a world where DLCs run upwards to 15-20 dollars, this would have been an easy 10 for such a price. The gameplay, presentation, graphics (for the story mode - the day time graphics seemed to be a clear step down) were top notch. The story seems to be setting up nicely though (and as much as I braced myself for this) was embarrassingly and shamefully too short. The replay value is a redeeming factor though still not enough to warrant a 30 dollar price tag. Metal Gear Solid V is going to be the 2015 game of the year (it looks to be from this game) and this game would have been an easy 10 by charging 19.99 or less...but it gets a 7 because 29.99 is just a too far fetched money grab. Expand
  4. Sep 5, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is an exciting prequel to The Phantom Pain. It sets up an interesting premise for the story. Although short, this game has a lot of replayability.
  5. Apr 4, 2014
    You really wont believe how bad this "game" is. Nothing like a Metal Gear Solid game should be. A complete waste of money. What the hell was Hideo thinking???
  6. Aug 19, 2014
    It's been a while since I played a metal gear solid game. I recall very fondly the one I played. So I thought lets get another? Well, I didn't do my homework and didn't realize this is just one little prequel mission.

Pros- Beautiful graphics and sound. Game play is really fun and challenging, and a great addition to the stealth genre. Cons- 1 mission(they threw in "side ops"

Cons- 1 mission(they threw in "side ops" but its all on the same map). The story is completely impenetrable if you are like me and a very casual dabbler in the MG series.

I recommend this only for hardcore MG fans.
  7. Jun 20, 2014
    The game play is really good! I really liked the open world stealth mechanics. The controls are also a lot better even though they do take some getting used to. However pushing yourself up against a wall or hanging over a ledge can get unreliable. Its clear that there are many ways to get to your objective. This allows the player to experience more ways to play and I like the new slowThe game play is really good! I really liked the open world stealth mechanics. The controls are also a lot better even though they do take some getting used to. However pushing yourself up against a wall or hanging over a ledge can get unreliable. Its clear that there are many ways to get to your objective. This allows the player to experience more ways to play and I like the new slow motion reaction mechanic when you get spotted. I had a lot of fun while playing it! That being said DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. The main stuff took about an hour, the added stuff took about another hour and there isn't much reason to go back to play unless you want to get a higher rank on the leader boards. Also if you're looking for story there barely is any. The game play is really good but DO NOT BUY IT. Borrow it, rent it, or wait for it to be on sale for $7 or less but DO NOT BUY IT. Based on game play alone, I give Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes an 8/10 Expand
  8. Sep 10, 2014
    Please note, this is not a full game its certainly a demo, picked it up for £17.99, for that i think its slightly over priced but its a gorgeous game, and £10 would be more suitable price. Its good for people looking for achivements and to pass a hour or two. 7/10
  9. Dec 22, 2014
    Ground Zeroes is a nice little backstory on the upcoming Phantom Pain. You play as Big Boss/Naked Snake as you infiltrate a base to get back 2 operatives of motherbase. As the missions progresses you start to realize things may not go the way you planned.

The game is a nice little taste of the new up and coming MGS V Phantom Pain, though its not by itself a standalone game. This is at best a 15 dollar DLC, not a 30 dollar stand alone.

While playing though the first mission i thought the game was actually done pretty well. Its classic MGS style gameplay. Big boss brings a few new toys (even more in Phantom Pain) to get the job done, and they have switched from the classic gun pickup style for more realistic 2 guns and a pistol.

At the end of the mission i actually thought it was a great game, till i realized that all missions take place in the same boxed off area. Each mission takes you back to do different objectives during different times of the day, but always to the same area. You would think they would wise up and know you are coming.

This game is fun, but as a 5-15 dollar DLC, not a full blown 30 dollar game. The game is a tech demo for the new MGS V game, but not in its own right a full game. The game does not even include many of the new game like your prosthetic arm and the all new buddy system, the game is only to show off the graphics of the game, which in my opinion is not worth 30 dollars. The game should of been released with MGS V as a 5-15 dollar DLC or Day One edition of the full game.

Overall the game is fun, and it is worth a pickup at 15 dollars or less. The main mission is a good addition to the story and the submissions are fun even if they all take place in the same area. It will give you a good feel of the full game that is to be released next year.

10. Mar 21, 2014
    This review is like game: short .
    Ok, gameplay is good and graphics looks fine, but not quite to justify the cost.
    Bad movement made by Konami, really strange, they lost my loyalty.
  11. Mar 20, 2014
    I made this account solely for the purpose of expressing my disappointment towards Kojima/KONAMI's attempted rip-off and franchise milking.
    I've been a MGS fan since MGS on the PS1 and back in the day MGS demos (or prequels if you prefer) were free and came along other KONAMI games, they didn't have a 30$ price tag in it! It's really a shame that such a credible developer/publisher tried to take advantage of the game's hype and fanbase (which gets smaller by the day) to make an easy cash-in...
    And for those of you that are saying: "Blah blah blah, they warned people that the main mission was only about 2 hours long so if you don't like it don't buy it" , let me tell you something, have you heard of a game called "Dead Rising 2: Case Zero"? It was a prequel to Dead Rising 2, just like Ground Zeroes. The only differences were the price (it cost 5$ instead of 30$), the content (it was longer and less buggy) and the people behind it; I mean, you could maybe expect a rip-off from the Dead Rising franchise but from the Metal Gear franchise? No way, that was too ridiculously greedy.
    SHAME ON YOU KONAMI... I just hope this doesn't sell well and other publishers start doing it, although for 30$ they don't need to sell that much to have a good profit.
    First it was Rockstar's constant attempts at milking more money out of what already is the best selling franchise ever, and now this? What was a respectful and trusted company is now turning into EA.
    They can pull off these "scams" and keep getting good revenues, but it's companies like Valve that don't need to worry about cashing-in easily and still have some of the best-selling franchises ever, due to the simple fact that they care about their consumers.
  12. Mar 23, 2014
    I don't think I have ever felt robbed after buying a "game" before. This "game" changed that.

I heard it was shirt but assumed that this was overstated...nope. I would call it a pile of S....but a pile suggest it has some content. This is what the "game" consists of: 1) Find someone, put them over you shoulders, place them in a helicopter. 2) repeat 3) credits I am not

I heard it was shirt but assumed that this was overstated...nope.

I would call it a pile of S....but a pile suggest it has some content.

This is what the "game" consists of:
    1) Find someone, put them over you shoulders, place them in a helicopter.
    2) repeat
    3) credits
    I am not joking....

DO NOT BUY! You have been warned!
  13. Mar 28, 2014
    I'm a pretty big fan of the MGS franchise and I'm leased to say that for fans of it, you're going to like or love this game. Graphically it looks amazing and it plays excellently. The story of GZ is interesting enough and geys you ready for the eventual Phantom Pain. The side ops are also very fun (for the most part). Now the downside is that yes it is very short, and my not warrant 30$I'm a pretty big fan of the MGS franchise and I'm leased to say that for fans of it, you're going to like or love this game. Graphically it looks amazing and it plays excellently. The story of GZ is interesting enough and geys you ready for the eventual Phantom Pain. The side ops are also very fun (for the most part). Now the downside is that yes it is very short, and my not warrant 30$ for people who aren't big fans of the series, and yes it does get repetitive playing the same missions over and over again. However going for achievements or trophy's does add some extra fun and trying to do better each time is fun too. The one side op that I wasn't fond of involved destroying anti aircraft guns. All in all if you're a fan of the series I'd say buy it, if not, wait till a price drop/right before pp as I do feel like it is integral to the story. Expand
  14. Mar 20, 2014
    And just when you thought that Konami was falling.... They released MGSVGZ, a bland but fun stealth adventure game which is a long demo. Rent it and you will have fun.
  15. May 22, 2014
    A lot of people have been giving a really bad score for this game just because it is apparently "too short". That might be so but that doesn't stop it from being a good game, nice opener to Phantom Pain and gives you an insight on how the game plays.

For cheap price tag, there is actually A LOT more content than you think, For example if you collect all the audio tapes then there is A LOT of back-story between the events of Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes, There are 5 extra side missions which are fun and challenging, plus the trails such as completing it quickest time with no alerts and kills!

If you're one of those type of gamers who enjoy speed-running, beating scores and experimenting with different playing methods then I can recommend it. If you're a HUGE fan of Metal Gear Solid then I highly recommend that you add it to your collection since it does include some important story assets which I will not spoil for this review.
  16. Jun 20, 2015
    It is one of the worst Stealth games around. You are paying £50 for a demo, there is seriously only one level on the game. The graphics are good but everything else on it is crap.
  17. Apr 14, 2014
    Firstly, if you bought this and didn't realise it was a short prologue then I have no sympathy for you. If you love MG then the money is worth it. Visuals were great, textures were gorgeous in most parts - the odd 'draw distance' pop up bush but otherwise very good.
    Game play is dynamic and intuitive, the audio is also top notch.
    The replayability is good at 6ish hours if you want to
    Game play is dynamic and intuitive, the audio is also top notch.
    The replayability is good at 6ish hours if you want to perfect everything. Its not a full game, and if you thought it was you should do some reaserch before buying it. Its a tasty starter before what looks like a mouth watering main course
  18. Apr 11, 2014
    It upsets me that they call this a game, its is £30 for a game which is less than 2 hours (with side-missions), its a demo which is over-priced, though the graphics, stealth and exploration is amazing and the best and if this is what we could get in MGS Phantom Pain, we could be getting the best game ever, that is if its much longer than 2 hours

Overall = 5/10, The Game brings lots of

Overall = 5/10, The Game brings lots of hype to MGS V Phantom Pain, but the price and length is disgraceful to the series
  19. Mar 29, 2014
    This game is short on content but for what's there its really good. The stealth is tense and rewarding the enemy A.I is quite cunning and the story is very good.
  20. Mar 18, 2014
    It's a really nice looking piece of trash, but it's still trash. I feel completely ripped off by Konami and, as a result, will not be giving them any money for The Phantom Pain.
  21. Mar 21, 2014
    While the graphics are beautiful, David Hayter is no longer voicing Snake and Keifer Sutherland kind of kills the character in my opinion. David Hayter is still alive and well, they just didn't hire him! Also there are no Rations and instead they went for a call of duty style quick health regen which really makes it not feel at all like a Metal Gear game. I'd give it a meh.
  22. Mar 22, 2014
    If you go on youtube you can watch someone speed run this game taking under 7mins for the main story line, it has some retarded mechanics and really is just not worth $30, should be more like $5.
  23. Mar 20, 2014
    I've seen people call this an "extended demo", which takes 1-3 hours to complete. Nope, just a normal demo that takes 15-30 minutes to complete: tranquilize 5 guards, rescue a prisoner, tranquilize 5 more guards, rescue another prisoner, then tranquilize 2 or 3 more guards and game over. To it's credit, it does have a few extra side missions, but they have nothing to do with the story andI've seen people call this an "extended demo", which takes 1-3 hours to complete. Nope, just a normal demo that takes 15-30 minutes to complete: tranquilize 5 guards, rescue a prisoner, tranquilize 5 more guards, rescue another prisoner, then tranquilize 2 or 3 more guards and game over. To it's credit, it does have a few extra side missions, but they have nothing to do with the story and take place in the same tiny map. They feel pointless. It's just sneaking the same guards on the same map, but to reach a different target.

I've seen some critics call the map a "sprawling military base". Nope. It's about the size of 2 or 3 CoD maps put together. As far as gameplay goes, the controls feel a little clumsy and the camera absolutely sucks at times, mostly in tight spaces.

I'm probably trashing it too much. It's still a pretty fun MGS game, but it really should have been a free demo instead of a $30 title, even if that meant not including the side missions.
  24. Mar 23, 2014
    What a joke. Took less than an hour to play through. Basically paid £25 for a demo. All the fanboys will be defending its price tag but it will be a slippery slope for other games franchises.
  25. Mar 19, 2014
    MGS GZ Yes its is short. But it is to show case the " Graphics and " Game Play ". The game quality is amazing... I just found out that there is an app, that makes your phone screen like a GPS.. All these trolls, that say its 10 or 20 minutes are crazzzzy... Well is not !!! The guards are very smart... Not like the old days
    It is a very good game for sure... is it worth $20... maybe not
    It is a very good game for sure... is it worth $20... maybe not !!! But i spend that much to go to the movies.
    And many times i go home feeling like i did not get my monies worth...
    Please let's give a true review.... if you do not like a game or some parts... just say so !!!
    But give a game a zero... because you said it's 20 minutes is wrong!!

I guarantee that nobody did it in 20 minutes here their first play through!!!

"Let not be trolls" Collapse
  26. Apr 8, 2014
    This is a great game for the price. It's true, the main story is very short but since when is that the only factor that defines a game? There is a ton of replay value here as well as multiple side missions upon completion. The game lures back into the main quest with a great deal of variability in every play through. I've been through the story 4-5 times and I still keep coming back forThis is a great game for the price. It's true, the main story is very short but since when is that the only factor that defines a game? There is a ton of replay value here as well as multiple side missions upon completion. The game lures back into the main quest with a great deal of variability in every play through. I've been through the story 4-5 times and I still keep coming back for more. If you're the type of player that puts the controller down and walks away after the main quest then don't waste your time as you will be disappointed. But if you long to clear every side mission, collect every collectible, and get the most out of your games this purchase is a no-brainer. I've already pulled 6 hours of playtime without touching one side mission or playing on hard. With at least 12 hours of gameplay it is easily worth $30 and not to mention the best looking game on the system. Expand
  27. Sep 2, 2015
    What initially looks like a bite-sized glimpse into what awaits gamers in "The Phantom Pain," quickly opens up into a game that actually has quite a bit of content to sink your teeth into. The main mission goes by quickly, but with a surprising amount of unlockable content scattered across it and it's six side-missions (the missions that were originally console exclusive are now availableWhat initially looks like a bite-sized glimpse into what awaits gamers in "The Phantom Pain," quickly opens up into a game that actually has quite a bit of content to sink your teeth into. The main mission goes by quickly, but with a surprising amount of unlockable content scattered across it and it's six side-missions (the missions that were originally console exclusive are now available for both systems) there are enough hours of gameplay here to keep you coming back.

It's an all around excellent slice of stealth gameplay. Some fickle mechanics get in the way from time to time, but for the most part all of the systems work well together. It's a game that rewards intelligence as well as freedom as to how you approach situations. The game also isn't afraid to shy away from action. Combat is smooth, but is still meant to be used as a last resort. Getting through levels with no kills and rarely being spotted is still the focus. Going in guns blazing will reduce your score/ranking at the end of the level. Still, it's nice to not feel helpless.

The side-ops add a nice bit of diversity to the experience. They give you new objectives to complete and rely on different styles. They'll keep you coming back after you beat the main mission, however they are ultimately just as brief. That's the real issue with this package. Completing the main objectives for the missions is going to take you almost no time at all. It's a controversial issue for many, however those people have yet to dive fully into all the content that is actually offered here. Doing everything to 100% the game will take you longer than you would expect. The amount of time you spend with the game all depends on just how much of it you want to see.

Luckily there are plenty of reasons to want to see all it has to offer thanks to the excellent core gameplay. Stealth has rarely felt tighter. It's a tense game that can be quite difficult at times. With content this entertaining it does a great job of doing what it sets out to do; giving us a glimpse into what awaits us in the real MGS V, as well as being a fantastic game on it's own.
  28. Mar 30, 2014
    WOW. I just wasted 30 dollars for a demo... Seriously F*CK you Konami for stealing my money! For a sec when i finished the game i thought the game was made by EA but when i looked on the cover of the box it was konami! Now the gameplay. The gameplay is amazing just like any metal gear solid game. But why you should pay 30 dollars for a game witch you beat in 1.30 hour? I feel ripped off. IWOW. I just wasted 30 dollars for a demo... Seriously F*CK you Konami for stealing my money! For a sec when i finished the game i thought the game was made by EA but when i looked on the cover of the box it was konami! Now the gameplay. The gameplay is amazing just like any metal gear solid game. But why you should pay 30 dollars for a game witch you beat in 1.30 hour? I feel ripped off. I hope any other company do this. Expand
  29. Mar 19, 2014
    Ground Zeroes is fantastic! The controls feel very smooth though it's similar to previous MGS games. As far as gameplay, the shooting is just like MGS4, and CQC is just like Peace Walker only it looks cooler. There is great replay value and 5 other missions you can play but it all takes place on the same map; however, it took me under an hour to beat just the main mission and around aGround Zeroes is fantastic! The controls feel very smooth though it's similar to previous MGS games. As far as gameplay, the shooting is just like MGS4, and CQC is just like Peace Walker only it looks cooler. There is great replay value and 5 other missions you can play but it all takes place on the same map; however, it took me under an hour to beat just the main mission and around a half hour each for 4 other missions. So, unless you like to figure out different ways to approach your goal and experiment, you won't like this.

TLDR; Buy it if you're a MGS fan or if you like stealth/action games. If you worry about value, wait until the price drops.
  30. Mar 19, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes gives us a glimpse of what to expect from The Phantom Pain, and from this sadly all too brief glimpse, I am even more excited than when I was when it was announced. The gameplay is fantastic, streamlining the controls of past Metal Gear Solid games extremely well, and stealth is a blast, with intelligent, alert enemy AI and tons of ways to complete yourMetal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes gives us a glimpse of what to expect from The Phantom Pain, and from this sadly all too brief glimpse, I am even more excited than when I was when it was announced. The gameplay is fantastic, streamlining the controls of past Metal Gear Solid games extremely well, and stealth is a blast, with intelligent, alert enemy AI and tons of ways to complete your objectives, with many collectibles to find and POWs to rescue. The graphics on PS4 are astounding. It is not hyperbole when I say it is the best looking game I have ever seen. The story is minimal, serving as a bridge between 2010's Peace Walker and the upcoming Phantom Pain, but what it does show has me extremely interested. The impact of what happens is huge, and the new villain leaves a MASSIVE impression. I eagerly await how the events will be followed upon. However, there are some criticisms I have, and the length is a big one. The game is indeed short, and while highly replayable and with 5 other side missions to occupy your time, by 6 hours you will have seen almost all the game has to offer unless you take your time, and unlocking the final side mission requires collecting XOF patches, which artificially increases your time played. Unless you are a big Metal Gear fan, I would not advise buying it at retail price, or for next gen unless you really want to see it look and play it's best. The PS3 and 360 versions may not look as good, but they function pretty much the same. Overall, the game is very enjoyable, and a tantalizing first taste of what to expect in The Phantom Pain, but if you are not a big fan, wait for a price drop. Expand
  31. Mar 22, 2014
    I found the graphics on this edition very poor, Snake seemed to be a lot slower in his actions too. Such as diving to the floor or from changing to a crawl to a fast kneel.

The lighting was not very good in some areas of the big boss camp either.

Not worth the price tag.

Snake you should return to your natural home only.
  32. Mar 20, 2014
    A solid intro to what looks to be an incredible new exciting entry into the metal gear franchise. The ending really had me pumped for The Phantam Pain. Can't wait for Snake to get some revenge now.
  33. Apr 1, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a game for fans of the series. I felt that the game has large replayability and this game is meant to give everyone a feel for the new MGS. MGS has never been better and the stealth elements are the best they have ever been. Sneaking around the immense military base where GZ is set is fun, intense and satisfying. People keeps bashing GZ because of itsMetal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a game for fans of the series. I felt that the game has large replayability and this game is meant to give everyone a feel for the new MGS. MGS has never been better and the stealth elements are the best they have ever been. Sneaking around the immense military base where GZ is set is fun, intense and satisfying. People keeps bashing GZ because of its length but there are 5 missions which can be replayed again and again and there are tons of different approaches you can choose from. If this game is any indication of how The Phantom Pain will play out, I just cant wait cos it's gonna be absolutely amazing. It's all about QUALITY not quantity here people. Expand
  34. Oct 11, 2014
    I spent a lot of time playing this.Yes,it is a teaser of what's to come and very expensive,but it has some of the best stealth ever seen.Slow,purposeful and difficult at times,I really have enjoyed it,but cannot wait for the real thing.
  35. Aug 3, 2015
    I do not understand what in this play row should be great.
    Yes the graphics are very nice and everything easy to understand.
    However, must these be forever to long scenes CGI and why is there not the degree of difficulty Simply for new beginners?
    I can gain nothing of the play and, hence, is simply dull for me.
  36. Mar 18, 2014
    Awesome game, perfect length. the amazing graphics are really cool and i really really like the new snake. Bought it digitally to prepare for the phantom pain.
  37. Mar 20, 2014
    People are just dumb and don't think in the real purpose of this game. Apart from being a preview of an awesome game , its kinda of a beta, kojima want people to try the new changes of the MGS gameplay , just because the phantom pain is a huge game and he doesn't t want to create a game people just bash on how bad changes are , this is the time to fix anything wrong on ground zeroes andPeople are just dumb and don't think in the real purpose of this game. Apart from being a preview of an awesome game , its kinda of a beta, kojima want people to try the new changes of the MGS gameplay , just because the phantom pain is a huge game and he doesn't t want to create a game people just bash on how bad changes are , this is the time to fix anything wrong on ground zeroes and apply them to The Phantom Pain..plus i really like the game even if it was short. Expand
  38. Mar 25, 2014
    'Demo' has no qualification for 'Critic Score'.

I'll just wait for 'full retail game'.
    and then, write review that 'full retail game' for critic score.
    So I have no criticism for 'this demo'.
  39. Mar 19, 2014
    The gameplay is good as you would expected from a metal gear. but asking for $30,00 to a demo is a shame to konami who just want to cash in with their loyal fanbase, i advise to stay out of this game, it should be free, this is damaging the gaming industry, gamers do not buy this game.
  40. Mar 21, 2014
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is a short but challenging game, offering many hours of replayability. Ground Zeroes represents a new, more sophisticated era of Metal Gear playing much better than its predecessors, with stunning graphics. Delivering an incredible promise for its big brother in The Phantom Pain. For its price it’s a must buy for any new or existing Metal Gear fans.
  41. May 6, 2014
    Konamai, welcome to the used club. You want to rip people off by making them pay for a prologue, then deal with me buying everything from you used. GameStop must love me
  42. Oct 1, 2015
    Although this game is basically just one mission, it is so incredibly well done that it raised my expectations of The Phantom Pain to absurd levels.
    The mission, the setting, the cutscenes and the music are so mind blowingly amazing and epic that I played though it 4 times.
    Even the writing of the background info and its music is so superb I would just let the music run in the background. I hope that someday a company can make such a game in full lenght in this quality. Sadly The Phantom Pain is not that game.
  43. Dec 27, 2015
    Gameplay: 1 (Unplayable)
    Fun: 1 (You can't Have Fun)
    Story: 5 (Story is After World War 2)
    Cast: 7 (Great)
    Score: 0/10 (Due to no Easy Mode for me Only Hard Mode Unlocked from Start)

Overrated By All should got less then 7.8s
  44. Aug 13, 2015
    Usually for Japanese video game productions, they work for me as either a hit or a miss for me, with most productions starting strong, to which they fall apart around the 5th milked out entry in the series, for example, Resident evil 5. When Metal gear solid ground zeroes reached games with gold, i had honestly no idea what to think about it, with cynicism already engraved into my mind dueUsually for Japanese video game productions, they work for me as either a hit or a miss for me, with most productions starting strong, to which they fall apart around the 5th milked out entry in the series, for example, Resident evil 5. When Metal gear solid ground zeroes reached games with gold, i had honestly no idea what to think about it, with cynicism already engraved into my mind due to the opinions of others. I figured that i would discover what the big fuss was about considering the main game is being released in September and the fact i can do what ever the hell i feel like. To begin with the game is great, "but then why are you giving a 6, Mr. McGillotine" "well let me explain Billy before people hop on me like white on rice, for not making any sense". The game is great and i will say that proudly, however it isn't worth much money and sets a terrible standard for the future of video game titles, because it is short, very much short and that is probably the worst factor of this game acting as an Achilles heel against the gem that the game truly is. for a game-play perspective, things look beautiful and runs wonderful which cant be said about most other games at the moment, the A.I is well directed and player freedom is exciting. the story is short, however manages to collectively create an effective beginning, middle and end ground creating an exciting narrative and context for a game that i can now say am anticipated for the phantom pain. Overall is it worth your money, not really, is it worth your time however, if you got it cheap or for free, most definately Expand
  45. Aug 6, 2014
    Horrid Game, $40 for a demo...What a waste of money. Avoid at all costs seem this will be big sales for PS4 since there is no games out there yet so money will be made from this pile of ****
  46. Jul 28, 2015
    The game is more like them old school demos you use to get. You can beat the game in like 30 min. And you'll hear other reviewers try to say oh but you can pay other content after you beat it. Don't let them fool you, that other content is all on the same small map you just played the main mission/game on. Yeah the whole game takes place on one tiny military compound lol. Gameplay isThe game is more like them old school demos you use to get. You can beat the game in like 30 min. And you'll hear other reviewers try to say oh but you can pay other content after you beat it. Don't let them fool you, that other content is all on the same small map you just played the main mission/game on. Yeah the whole game takes place on one tiny military compound lol. Gameplay is average, pretty pedestrian stealth based game. Not bad but not great either. All in all with the lack of content and the same tiny map used for all content this game basically just slaps you in the face if you paid for it. Expand
  47. Aug 23, 2015
    The only redeeming feature of this game is the high graphics. Beyond that, the game is broken. It's incredibly short, more like a demo. The controls are clumsy and broken. The gameplay is frustratingly difficult and unforgiving. There's no tutorial for the game. The manual is next to useless. If you get detected once while carrying a body, you pretty much have to start all over from theThe only redeeming feature of this game is the high graphics. Beyond that, the game is broken. It's incredibly short, more like a demo. The controls are clumsy and broken. The gameplay is frustratingly difficult and unforgiving. There's no tutorial for the game. The manual is next to useless. If you get detected once while carrying a body, you pretty much have to start all over from the previous checkpoint. The detection radius and speed is way too high. Expand
  48. Jul 3, 2014
    Let me start out by listing everything I liked about this game: It has beautiful gameplay, wonderful graphics, and it overall is a lot more smooth than previous Metal Gear games.
    That being said, this was not a game, it was a demo. It really needs to be said, previous Metal Gear games have had cutscenes longer than entire length of the main game here. It seemed promising at first, showing several spots in the main menu for several missions, but in under half an hour, you're told that they are simply slots for what amount to side quests on the same map.
    The map is of decent size, and at least offers a good amount of replayability for it, but it still doesn't really justify the cost of this game. $30-40 is an awful lot to pay for what amounts to a large demo with a trailer attached for the Phantom Pain. It really ends up feeling like this should have been a $10 download only game at best, and a free demo at worst.
  49. Dec 23, 2014
    No demo please namco or whothehell design the game.

simple rippppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp of dont buy it is only last me 1 hour to do xd
  50. Apr 16, 2015
    Like most I expected a longer prequel for the money but the game looks and plays beautifully. 0, really, just not true im just as upset about the length as anyone else but its at least an 8 or a 9 the reason for the 7 is I wanted more and I was mad when I got bored playing it. just wait for phantom pain metal gear fans the future is exciting ground zeroes was a fun little reveal aroundLike most I expected a longer prequel for the money but the game looks and plays beautifully. 0, really, just not true im just as upset about the length as anyone else but its at least an 8 or a 9 the reason for the 7 is I wanted more and I was mad when I got bored playing it. just wait for phantom pain metal gear fans the future is exciting ground zeroes was a fun little reveal around the corner. Expand
  51. Jan 21, 2016
    I don't really like metal gear games but this was enjoyable. I'm really angry with it anyway because it's really really short. It can be finished during just a forenoon...
  52. Apr 16, 2016
    El precio de salida del juego me pareció realmente desorbitado. La politica actual de dlc, expansiones y contenido extras está matando a la industria. Considero que este capitulo deberia haber estado incluido dentro de The Phantom Pain o salir a un precio de 10-15€. En cuanto al juego como tal es soberbio, siendo el mejor metal gear solid en lo que a jugabilidad se refiere. Por contraEl precio de salida del juego me pareció realmente desorbitado. La politica actual de dlc, expansiones y contenido extras está matando a la industria. Considero que este capitulo deberia haber estado incluido dentro de The Phantom Pain o salir a un precio de 10-15€. En cuanto al juego como tal es soberbio, siendo el mejor metal gear solid en lo que a jugabilidad se refiere. Por contra completar el juego al 100% tan solo te costará 12-15 horas. Expand
  53. Mar 28, 2017
    Une grosse démo payante qui permet de se faire une idée précise du gameplay de ce prochain MGS... à moins que lorsqu'il sortira (en 2015 ?) Connami ne se décide finalement à proposer une démo gratuite ? même Roquetare n'a jamais osé ce genre de démo payante mais Polyfiony a lancé la mode (avec les Prologues), une mode spécifiquement japonaise à ce qu'il semble. En tout cas, c'est beau etUne grosse démo payante qui permet de se faire une idée précise du gameplay de ce prochain MGS... à moins que lorsqu'il sortira (en 2015 ?) Connami ne se décide finalement à proposer une démo gratuite ? même Roquetare n'a jamais osé ce genre de démo payante mais Polyfiony a lancé la mode (avec les Prologues), une mode spécifiquement japonaise à ce qu'il semble. En tout cas, c'est beau et ça tourne pas mal du tout (i7/6870).

Ce pré-MGS évolue dans le bon sens et fait pas mal d'emprunts aux derniers Splinter Cell, un bon point en soi. C'est très maniable au pad à part le fait qu'on voit toujours le gros cul de Snake vu que la vue reste trop rapprochée, même et surtout en couverture. Cela étant, les commandes sont bien disposées, y compris la carte et l'accès aux armes. On note quelques tics comme le silencieux des flingues qui s'use après quelques tirs (sic !)... non mais sérieusement et puis quoi encore ?

Sinon l'IA est relativement convaincante et le ralenti en cas de (mauvaise) surprise est une bonne idée. Voilà un MGS presque plaisant si on est prêt à supporter les cinématiques interminables (même dans cette démo !) et le ridicule qui les accompagne. C'est tout le background qui se trouve dans le même cas avec ces personnages sortis d'un manga écrit au saké (faut aller sauver un mioche de 10 ans... une nana qui se fait fouiller les tripes pour retrouver un pain de C4... un méchant qui ressemble à une goule -trop de temps passé à Fukushima ?- et ainsi de suite...).

Je disais "presque plaisant", car l'une des missions secondaires (ne rêvez pas ça se passe toujours dans le même camp, c'est qu'une démo) consiste à zigouiller 2 Marines. Or ceux-là n'arrêtent pas de se déplacer dans la base et toutes les 2 mn, l'andouille à la radio vous indique une autre zone de recherche à l'autre bout de ce putain de camp. Non mais sérieusement Connami ? ça peut durer longtemps comme ça si on veut rester furtif : j'ai fait 20 m, je me rapproche... allo, non faut aller là-bas, ils ont encore bougé les 2 cons ! allo Connami non mais allo quoi !

Ils peuvent se le garder leur MGS V. J'attendrai le prochain Splinter, j'ai le temps.

1. CD-Action
    Jun 28, 2014
    The coolest stealth game in months, maybe even years – and not only for MGS fans. It shows how good MGS V: The Phantom Pain will be. [05/2014, p.56]
  2. Apr 7, 2014
    If you're a fan of this series, you'll probably be picking this up but for newcomers, it may be a difficult choice!
  3. Apr 1, 2014
    It’s a terrific little package brimming with options to replay, but it’s not a large play-space by any measure, and there’s not a huge amount of variation on scenery or tone. This one boils down to preference...Just hurry up with The Phantom Pain already, Hideo.