5.5

1. Mar 18, 2014
    This is not a game. It is a $30 demo. And the flaws don't stop there. The graphics are nowhere near what the trailers promised, enemy AI doesn't respond to your helicopter, the game plays out like Michael Bay movie, side missions are 5 minutes long. One of them is a forced on-rails sequence.
  2. Apr 27, 2014
    Shame on you Kojima and Konami. $40 dollars for at best, a demo!? Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and the presentation and story aspect are well done, but the gameplay didn't strike me as revolutionary like MGS4 and the brevity of the game just kills it (beat it in under an hour and I died/messed up a couple of times too). Also new Snake voice actor is not nearly as good as DavidShame on you Kojima and Konami. $40 dollars for at best, a demo!? Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and the presentation and story aspect are well done, but the gameplay didn't strike me as revolutionary like MGS4 and the brevity of the game just kills it (beat it in under an hour and I died/messed up a couple of times too). Also new Snake voice actor is not nearly as good as David Hayter. Maybe Phantom Pain will still be great but this is just sad. I may not be the biggest fan of Metal Gear but even I'm disappointed by this. Other gaming companies better not start pulling this crap. Expand
  3. Apr 4, 2014
    You really wont believe how bad this "game" is. Nothing like a Metal Gear Solid game should be. A complete waste of money. What the hell was Hideo thinking???
  4. Aug 19, 2014
    It's been a while since I played a metal gear solid game. I recall very fondly the one I played. So I thought lets get another? Well, I didn't do my homework and didn't realize this is just one little prequel mission.

Pros- Beautiful graphics and sound. Game play is really fun and challenging, and a great addition to the stealth genre. Cons- 1 mission(they threw in "side ops"

Cons- 1 mission(they threw in "side ops" but its all on the same map). The story is completely impenetrable if you are like me and a very casual dabbler in the MG series.

I recommend this only for hardcore MG fans.
  5. Mar 21, 2014
    This review is like game: short .
    Ok, gameplay is good and graphics looks fine, but not quite to justify the cost.
    Bad movement made by Konami, really strange, they lost my loyalty.
  6. Mar 20, 2014
    I made this account solely for the purpose of expressing my disappointment towards Kojima/KONAMI's attempted rip-off and franchise milking.
    I've been a MGS fan since MGS on the PS1 and back in the day MGS demos (or prequels if you prefer) were free and came along other KONAMI games, they didn't have a 30$ price tag in it! It's really a shame that such a credible developer/publisher tried to take advantage of the game's hype and fanbase (which gets smaller by the day) to make an easy cash-in...
    And for those of you that are saying: "Blah blah blah, they warned people that the main mission was only about 2 hours long so if you don't like it don't buy it" , let me tell you something, have you heard of a game called "Dead Rising 2: Case Zero"? It was a prequel to Dead Rising 2, just like Ground Zeroes. The only differences were the price (it cost 5$ instead of 30$), the content (it was longer and less buggy) and the people behind it; I mean, you could maybe expect a rip-off from the Dead Rising franchise but from the Metal Gear franchise? No way, that was too ridiculously greedy.
    SHAME ON YOU KONAMI... I just hope this doesn't sell well and other publishers start doing it, although for 30$ they don't need to sell that much to have a good profit.
    First it was Rockstar's constant attempts at milking more money out of what already is the best selling franchise ever, and now this? What was a respectful and trusted company is now turning into EA.
    They can pull off these "scams" and keep getting good revenues, but it's companies like Valve that don't need to worry about cashing-in easily and still have some of the best-selling franchises ever, due to the simple fact that they care about their consumers.
  7. Mar 23, 2014
    I don't think I have ever felt robbed after buying a "game" before. This "game" changed that.

I heard it was shirt but assumed that this was overstated...nope. I would call it a pile of S....but a pile suggest it has some content. This is what the "game" consists of: 1) Find someone, put them over you shoulders, place them in a helicopter. 2) repeat 3) credits I am not

I heard it was shirt but assumed that this was overstated...nope.

I would call it a pile of S....but a pile suggest it has some content.

This is what the "game" consists of:
    1) Find someone, put them over you shoulders, place them in a helicopter.
    2) repeat
    3) credits
    I am not joking....

DO NOT BUY! You have been warned!
  8. Jun 20, 2015
    It is one of the worst Stealth games around. You are paying £50 for a demo, there is seriously only one level on the game. The graphics are good but everything else on it is crap.
  9. Mar 21, 2014
    While the graphics are beautiful, David Hayter is no longer voicing Snake and Keifer Sutherland kind of kills the character in my opinion. David Hayter is still alive and well, they just didn't hire him! Also there are no Rations and instead they went for a call of duty style quick health regen which really makes it not feel at all like a Metal Gear game. I'd give it a meh.
  10. Mar 22, 2014
    If you go on youtube you can watch someone speed run this game taking under 7mins for the main story line, it has some retarded mechanics and really is just not worth $30, should be more like $5.
  11. Mar 23, 2014
    What a joke. Took less than an hour to play through. Basically paid £25 for a demo. All the fanboys will be defending its price tag but it will be a slippery slope for other games franchises.
  12. Mar 30, 2014
    WOW. I just wasted 30 dollars for a demo... Seriously F*CK you Konami for stealing my money! For a sec when i finished the game i thought the game was made by EA but when i looked on the cover of the box it was konami! Now the gameplay. The gameplay is amazing just like any metal gear solid game. But why you should pay 30 dollars for a game witch you beat in 1.30 hour? I feel ripped off. IWOW. I just wasted 30 dollars for a demo... Seriously F*CK you Konami for stealing my money! For a sec when i finished the game i thought the game was made by EA but when i looked on the cover of the box it was konami! Now the gameplay. The gameplay is amazing just like any metal gear solid game. But why you should pay 30 dollars for a game witch you beat in 1.30 hour? I feel ripped off. I hope any other company do this. Expand
  13. Mar 22, 2014
    I found the graphics on this edition very poor, Snake seemed to be a lot slower in his actions too. Such as diving to the floor or from changing to a crawl to a fast kneel.

The lighting was not very good in some areas of the big boss camp either.

Not worth the price tag.

Snake you should return to your natural home only.
  14. Aug 3, 2015
    I do not understand what in this play row should be great.
    Yes the graphics are very nice and everything easy to understand.
    However, must these be forever to long scenes CGI and why is there not the degree of difficulty Simply for new beginners?
    I can gain nothing of the play and, hence, is simply dull for me.
  15. Mar 25, 2014
    'Demo' has no qualification for 'Critic Score'.

I'll just wait for 'full retail game'.
    and then, write review that 'full retail game' for critic score.
    So I have no criticism for 'this demo'.
  16. Mar 19, 2014
    The gameplay is good as you would expected from a metal gear. but asking for $30,00 to a demo is a shame to konami who just want to cash in with their loyal fanbase, i advise to stay out of this game, it should be free, this is damaging the gaming industry, gamers do not buy this game.
  17. May 6, 2014
    Konamai, welcome to the used club. You want to rip people off by making them pay for a prologue, then deal with me buying everything from you used. GameStop must love me
  18. Dec 27, 2015
    Gameplay: 1 (Unplayable)
    Fun: 1 (You can't Have Fun)
    Story: 5 (Story is After World War 2)
    Cast: 7 (Great)
    Score: 0/10 (Due to no Easy Mode for me Only Hard Mode Unlocked from Start)

Overrated By All should got less then 7.8s
  19. Aug 6, 2014
    Horrid Game, $40 for a demo...What a waste of money. Avoid at all costs seem this will be big sales for PS4 since there is no games out there yet so money will be made from this pile of ****
  20. Jul 28, 2015
    The game is more like them old school demos you use to get. You can beat the game in like 30 min. And you'll hear other reviewers try to say oh but you can pay other content after you beat it. Don't let them fool you, that other content is all on the same small map you just played the main mission/game on. Yeah the whole game takes place on one tiny military compound lol. Gameplay isThe game is more like them old school demos you use to get. You can beat the game in like 30 min. And you'll hear other reviewers try to say oh but you can pay other content after you beat it. Don't let them fool you, that other content is all on the same small map you just played the main mission/game on. Yeah the whole game takes place on one tiny military compound lol. Gameplay is average, pretty pedestrian stealth based game. Not bad but not great either. All in all with the lack of content and the same tiny map used for all content this game basically just slaps you in the face if you paid for it. Expand
  21. Aug 23, 2015
    The only redeeming feature of this game is the high graphics. Beyond that, the game is broken. It's incredibly short, more like a demo. The controls are clumsy and broken. The gameplay is frustratingly difficult and unforgiving. There's no tutorial for the game. The manual is next to useless. If you get detected once while carrying a body, you pretty much have to start all over from theThe only redeeming feature of this game is the high graphics. Beyond that, the game is broken. It's incredibly short, more like a demo. The controls are clumsy and broken. The gameplay is frustratingly difficult and unforgiving. There's no tutorial for the game. The manual is next to useless. If you get detected once while carrying a body, you pretty much have to start all over from the previous checkpoint. The detection radius and speed is way too high. Expand
  22. Dec 23, 2014
    No demo please namco or whothehell design the game.

simple rippppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp of dont buy it is only last me 1 hour to do xd
  23. Jan 21, 2016
    I don't really like metal gear games but this was enjoyable. I'm really angry with it anyway because it's really really short. It can be finished during just a forenoon...
  24. Mar 28, 2017
    Une grosse démo payante qui permet de se faire une idée précise du gameplay de ce prochain MGS... à moins que lorsqu'il sortira (en 2015 ?) Connami ne se décide finalement à proposer une démo gratuite ? même Roquetare n'a jamais osé ce genre de démo payante mais Polyfiony a lancé la mode (avec les Prologues), une mode spécifiquement japonaise à ce qu'il semble. En tout cas, c'est beau etUne grosse démo payante qui permet de se faire une idée précise du gameplay de ce prochain MGS... à moins que lorsqu'il sortira (en 2015 ?) Connami ne se décide finalement à proposer une démo gratuite ? même Roquetare n'a jamais osé ce genre de démo payante mais Polyfiony a lancé la mode (avec les Prologues), une mode spécifiquement japonaise à ce qu'il semble. En tout cas, c'est beau et ça tourne pas mal du tout (i7/6870).

Ce pré-MGS évolue dans le bon sens et fait pas mal d'emprunts aux derniers Splinter Cell, un bon point en soi. C'est très maniable au pad à part le fait qu'on voit toujours le gros cul de Snake vu que la vue reste trop rapprochée, même et surtout en couverture. Cela étant, les commandes sont bien disposées, y compris la carte et l'accès aux armes. On note quelques tics comme le silencieux des flingues qui s'use après quelques tirs (sic !)... non mais sérieusement et puis quoi encore ?

Sinon l'IA est relativement convaincante et le ralenti en cas de (mauvaise) surprise est une bonne idée. Voilà un MGS presque plaisant si on est prêt à supporter les cinématiques interminables (même dans cette démo !) et le ridicule qui les accompagne. C'est tout le background qui se trouve dans le même cas avec ces personnages sortis d'un manga écrit au saké (faut aller sauver un mioche de 10 ans... une nana qui se fait fouiller les tripes pour retrouver un pain de C4... un méchant qui ressemble à une goule -trop de temps passé à Fukushima ?- et ainsi de suite...).

Je disais "presque plaisant", car l'une des missions secondaires (ne rêvez pas ça se passe toujours dans le même camp, c'est qu'une démo) consiste à zigouiller 2 Marines. Or ceux-là n'arrêtent pas de se déplacer dans la base et toutes les 2 mn, l'andouille à la radio vous indique une autre zone de recherche à l'autre bout de ce putain de camp. Non mais sérieusement Connami ? ça peut durer longtemps comme ça si on veut rester furtif : j'ai fait 20 m, je me rapproche... allo, non faut aller là-bas, ils ont encore bougé les 2 cons ! allo Connami non mais allo quoi !

Ils peuvent se le garder leur MGS V. J'attendrai le prochain Splinter, j'ai le temps.

1. CD-Action
    Jun 28, 2014
    The coolest stealth game in months, maybe even years – and not only for MGS fans. It shows how good MGS V: The Phantom Pain will be. [05/2014, p.56]
  2. Apr 7, 2014
    If you're a fan of this series, you'll probably be picking this up but for newcomers, it may be a difficult choice!
  3. Apr 1, 2014
    It’s a terrific little package brimming with options to replay, but it’s not a large play-space by any measure, and there’s not a huge amount of variation on scenery or tone. This one boils down to preference...Just hurry up with The Phantom Pain already, Hideo.