NBA 2K14 Xbox One

5.7

1. Dec 5, 2013
    Let me start by saying I have been a huge 2k and NBA fan since the SEGA Dreamcast. This game has one thing going for it when compared to it's predecessors....the graphics. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful! However, this game suffers from many setbacks that had previously been resolved in current-gen titles, and the GREED is more apparent than ever by 2k this time around. ThisLet me start by saying I have been a huge 2k and NBA fan since the SEGA Dreamcast. This game has one thing going for it when compared to it's predecessors....the graphics. Don't get me wrong, the game is beautiful! However, this game suffers from many setbacks that had previously been resolved in current-gen titles, and the GREED is more apparent than ever by 2k this time around. This is a dissapointing experience to say the least. Read my full review to get know more.

Review

Presentation This game has some neat new features included into it. However, it seems like in order to include some neat new features, they had to cut some CRUCIAL ones. If you had any interest in playing through a franchise mode with a friend or relative... its Gone! You are now reduced to a single player experience centered around earning virtual currency and you over for real money. This same them applies to the myGM, myPlayer, & myTeam. It is clear what the ultimate goal is here... Also, the menu system is a complete an udder failure when compared with previous titles.

Gameplay -

It seems like everyone rating this game on the top websites that are generally looked at for games have never actually played a NBA 2k game before it. The gameplay is a step back in many ways. The defense is horrendous, the shooting is off, the turnovers are bad, the AI suffers terribly, and the entire experience just feels unstable. There are moments that will make your jaw drop, but I can't help but think of what could have been.

Please don't let the other reviewers mislead you from the truth is about this game. I have been dedicated to this franchise for a long time. I have enjoyed countless hours with friends on previous NBA 2k games. But this game is all about Greed. 2k took away some of the most enjoyable parts of previous titles. 2k shot an airball with the new gameplay. 2K gave us new graphics on a new system and is now trying to bleed you dry with VC.
  2. Sep 21, 2014
    -Music is fantastic.
    -Career mode is actually engaging, except your characters voice doesn't always match their appearance and it is almost embarrassing to endure some of the cut scenes.
  3. Jul 7, 2014
    Gameplay is pretty good, execution is an abomination. 2K servers are dependably bad. I'd guess that about half the time I've fired the game up, the servers are down. Normally that would just hinder multiplayer gameplay, but thanks to the 'crammed down your throat virtual currency', they chart everything you do and being disconnected from their servers means the only thing you can do isGameplay is pretty good, execution is an abomination. 2K servers are dependably bad. I'd guess that about half the time I've fired the game up, the servers are down. Normally that would just hinder multiplayer gameplay, but thanks to the 'crammed down your throat virtual currency', they chart everything you do and being disconnected from their servers means the only thing you can do is quick play. My GM, My Career, and My Team are all disabled. Their technical shortcomings handicap the ability to play the full game. It's bad. Really bad.

Once you get in, you'll quickly learn that unless you want to dump hundreds of dollars of real money in to buying virtual currency, you'll be unable to advance your career, your team, or perform basic functions in the GM mode. Without a doubt, it's the worst executed gameplay mechanic for gamers, that I can remember. It would be fascinating to learn how much they made on those virtual transactions, because it was enough of an affront to me that I don't plan on buying another 2k sports title for a very long time.

When you can actually play, there is a nice depth to the game. The Kinect voice commands are overwhelmingly done well. A neat feature is if you get fired up over a foul call, and your scream or curse out loud, that will get picked up, and you'll be assessed a technical. Of course that makes me want to spiral into an exciting list of profanity, but unfortunately only one T per game. Commentary gets pretty stale pretty fast, but the videos, graphics, and in-game cut-aways are usually pretty good.

The game itself, when you can play it, is about an 8/10. When you see how limited your are by forced microtransactions, or how 3/4ths of the game is locked out if the 2K servers are down yet again, I'm being generous in only taking 3 points off.
  4. Mar 29, 2014
    Another game that my brother likes but I'm not too big on. Not a fan of the NBA, but I will say this game is good. Looks great and plays fairly well, not really big on the my career thing but whatever. If you're a fan of the NBA you'll probably like this.
  5. Mar 23, 2014
    It may not be the best basketball game ever, but it's the best one I've played. Overall, NBA 2K14 is a fun, good game. But before I mention all the good things, I have to point out a few major flaws. The scoring system (A-F) seems a bit unbalanced. The only way you can really get good scores is if you upgrade your character, which needs VC, and even then it doesn't count key moments asIt may not be the best basketball game ever, but it's the best one I've played. Overall, NBA 2K14 is a fun, good game. But before I mention all the good things, I have to point out a few major flaws. The scoring system (A-F) seems a bit unbalanced. The only way you can really get good scores is if you upgrade your character, which needs VC, and even then it doesn't count key moments as "bad" or "good" plays. Playing the game is enjoyable, but not overly satisfying. The MyCareer scenes are not skippable for the most part, and every time you create a new character you have to go through the long intro all over again. My brother and sister really enjoy the game, but mostly just when they're playing against each other or creating a character who has a weird name such as "Vladimir Slaughter". The graphics are amazing, as expected for an Xbox One game. Gameplay is mostly nice, except for the seriously irking moments that make you want to throw your controller. If this were the XBone's launch, I'd say for sure buy it. Now, though, you have to like sports games and long cut scenes. Expand
  6. Apr 30, 2014
    Game has moments that are fun. Taking away create a player is a deal breaker for me. I am so done with the same customization options that have been in basketball games for years. This is supposed to be next gen and it feels like early 360 work. 2K should really fight EA to let go of the licence for the NFL. Love 2K sports games and long for the times of NFL2K5.
  7. May 3, 2014
    As many have said the graphics are phenomenal. And the new cutscenes are neat if maybe a little rushed. However, the gameplay seems to have taken a dive compared to previous editions. And there are some HUGE bugs that with a quick Google search I found out are not at all new. I just took MyCareer all the way to the AllStar weekend. I was set to play the Rising Stars Challenge, 3pt contest,As many have said the graphics are phenomenal. And the new cutscenes are neat if maybe a little rushed. However, the gameplay seems to have taken a dive compared to previous editions. And there are some HUGE bugs that with a quick Google search I found out are not at all new. I just took MyCareer all the way to the AllStar weekend. I was set to play the Rising Stars Challenge, 3pt contest, Dunk Contest, and the ASG game. Rising Stars challenge went by with only the odd, typical bug with regards to Dynamic Goals not matching the actual game situations. I lost the 3pt contest thanks to it's terrible control scheme, and the fact that it does not explain its controls nor allow you to practice. Then it threw me back out to the team plane menu. I saw on the headlines that the ASG game and dunk contest were already done without me playing. Then when I went to continue thinking it would go to the next game in my schedule, it took me to the ASG game that had already happened, bypassing the dunk contest entirely. Then I didn't get the AllStar MVP because it counted the result from the game that I didn't play in! Suffice to say I'm pretty pissed off now. As pretty as this game is, it's become clear that I paid full price for a tech demo. Not sure I'd pay for '15 now. I need to see some VAST improvements first. Expand
  8. Jul 22, 2014
    NBA 2k14 was the first game I bought myself for the xbox one and I do not regret it! Don't get me wrong, this game is far from perfect, but even after purchasing other xbox One exclusives this game is still my go to.
    From the visual perspective, NBA 2k14 truly brings out that next gen feel, which is very important, especially after coughing up enough money just for the system, you better hope I'm pleased with the graphics. On many occasions I would be playing the game and if someone walked into my apartment, they would have to glance at the tv a second time to realize that I'm playing a game, not watching a real basketball game.
    If you have a buddy by your side, possibly the best multilayer game to play offline.

Every player moves the way they do in real life, Kevin Durant does his signature shoulder shake before his free throws, and the best in game advice is to play each character as they would in real life. Its truly the best 2k experience I have ever had......if its working.

The biggest problem with 2k14 is the servers. Although they have been a lot better since the release, it crashes probably 5 times a week...on a good week. I do feel the game is good enough for me to be patient and play it when it works, but for the non-hardcore basketball fans out there, it might not be worth spending 60 bucks for a game that works sometimes. Like seriously, even the single player modes require an online connection. So on my day off, I would be in my 2k mood, I wouldn't be able to play MyPlayer, MyGM, or MyTeam because 2k cant get there servers together. Honestly, I payed 60 bucks for this game, I should be able to play it whenever I want. Good to know I can't continue my story mode on vacation, where I might not have an internet connection. Only mode that does work offline is quick game with a computer or someone you have with you, but the currency wont be counted and saved.

MyPlayer is a blast when you get your character good enough to dunk or do crazy plays, but other than that the story is cheesy, repetitive, and un-skippable for the lingering cut scenes that have been repeated several times.

An unexpected Xbox One knockout and a year-on-year improvement in every respect - but its spectacular visuals make the clunkier elements painfully obvious.
  2. Dec 31, 2013
    Typically impenetrable for novices, but it’s a stunning piece of work and with some time spent learning the mechanics makes for an epic sporting experience.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    NBA 2K14 has everything a basketball fan wants to find in a videogame. Xbox One visual impact is astonishing and the new modes, with a preference for My Player, work very well. The ball physics need a little tuning, but the game is still great to play, to watch and to listen to.