NBA 2K14 Xbox One

5.7

1. Nov 19, 2013
    Best NBA game you can get, but story mode is super cheesy. 8.5'd but rounded up to 9 because of negative reviews for no apparent reason. What's with all the hate around here???
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    Straight up, I've noticed a few of the Xbox One reviewers on other games are first timers. A 10 this game is not. But it is a respectable 8 only because of the always online requirement. Playing and getting kicked out because your connection dies isn't cool. Seriously, $60 for a BBall MMO? Buyer beware!
    I don't necessarily agree with in-game purchases. But whatever turns your
    I don't necessarily agree with in-game purchases. But whatever turns your crank.

The graphics are next-gen looking and the sounds are fun. We actually had a good laugh at the Black Top antics. I really wish that they would have been considerate to offline players. Maybe there needs to be a HUGE STICKER on the front that says, "Internet Connection Required."
    Then again, you'd need one on the Xbox One. You aren't playing anything unless you updated.

Speaking of online, it's nice having real-time statistics of all the real life games. So overall I can't complain. We don't have cable or satellite so it offers something nice to the package.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    NBA2K14 is a really pretty looking game.

I have too many complaints compared to previous versions though; 1) the new control system, how many ways to pass are there? too many. The "pro-Stick" where dribble and shoot are the same stick, it's tantamount to button bashing in an old arcade game. 2) the game mode MyTeam, they really missed a beat here i was most excited for this, but
    NBA2K14 is a really pretty looking game.

I have too many complaints compared to previous versions though;

2) the game mode MyTeam, they really missed a beat here i was most excited for this, but you can not play this mode off line as Domination mode is the only option and the difficulty is set to absurd, the rewards are not there to keep your team progressing.

The rest of the game modes play well, but after MyTeam on Domination, everything is a bit easy to be honest, it's just a matter of mashing that pro-stick. The improved MyPlayer mode again is an awesome game mode to play, though that's not really unexpected and going into it's 5th year or more, the game mode itself is getting a bit tired in my opinion.

I think the best way to look at the game as a whole, due to the Metascore of 86/100 is noting that it's about 10 points worse than last years version. I'd give this game an 8/10 where 2K12 & 2K13 were both 10/10 games. Essentially despite it looking good the game play has definitely dropped off this year, NBA Live definitely missed a chance on this weak outing.
  4. Jan 2, 2014
    I've heard a lot of people having server issues but I have no experienced those myself yet.

I've been a fan of nba2k for about 5 or 6 years now and have played a lot of each release. Before getting the xbox one version I had been playing 2k14 on my PC. The good things about the move to xbox one is that the graphics are fantastic, the game play feels even more refined and the myplayer

The good things about the move to xbox one is that the graphics are fantastic, the game play feels even more refined and the myplayer story line is an interesting add on to the game.

The bad things are that the cut scenes often do not represent what is happening (I had a cut scene after the 4th pick in the draft with myplayer worried about slipping out of the first and asking how many picks were left, i was then picked next at 5), bugs (my rival went undrafted) and the biggest complaint from me is the removal of playing key games only. I'm already frustrated having to play all 82 games in my rookie season, I also think the menus and lay outs are terrible, you used to be able to hit pause and see a box score, this time you need to go into sub menus and it just seems unfinished.

To me the whole storyline of myplayer feels more like we are beta testing the idea for the next release which will flesh it out more.
  5. Jan 22, 2014
    This game has the best graphics of any Xbox One game I have played yet. It feels pretty similar to NBA 2K13 as far as gameplay goes. I haven't really figured out the advanced post and dribbling moves, or how to execute the play calling, but you can play freestyle pretty well and win games. The worst part about this game, and the entire series, are the menus. They are ridiculously ugly,This game has the best graphics of any Xbox One game I have played yet. It feels pretty similar to NBA 2K13 as far as gameplay goes. I haven't really figured out the advanced post and dribbling moves, or how to execute the play calling, but you can play freestyle pretty well and win games. The worst part about this game, and the entire series, are the menus. They are ridiculously ugly, and not user friendly. Once you figure out to start the games and get into MyGM or MyPlayer mode, it is great. I can't speak to the online issues as this is a game I never play offline. NBA 2K14 is also a great local multiplayer game if you want to pick it up and play a friend. Expand
  6. Dec 12, 2014
    NBA 2K14 is awesome. It easily beats any competition as a basketball simulator. My Player mode is funny, yet also very addictive. The My Team mode, however, just does not seem to click. It feels awkward, unfortunately.
  7. Jan 19, 2014
    This game is great and is my favorite game on the xbox one right now. Just wish some of these glitches get fixed soon. But other then that this game is awesome.
  8. Jan 28, 2014
    I would give this game a ten due to amazing AI, more realistic shot releases and tendencies to go in, better graphics.
    However the install size is 43 GB!!
  9. Aug 24, 2014
    I've never been more interested in a 2k game they held the ball.
    Great graphics.
    Your myplayer is far interactable.
    In Online parks you can see other people playing.
    The overall AI for the is superior.
    Best 2k so far.
  10. Jun 17, 2014
    I've spent a lot of hours on this game and am completely addicted to it. Great variety of modes, some of which will keep you busy for a really long time. I knock down to a 9 only because bugs seem to be common and they become glaring when you compare it to how much is done right. After the last update, MyTEAM wouldn't work, saying to reboot the console but rebooting didn't do anything. II've spent a lot of hours on this game and am completely addicted to it. Great variety of modes, some of which will keep you busy for a really long time. I knock down to a 9 only because bugs seem to be common and they become glaring when you compare it to how much is done right. After the last update, MyTEAM wouldn't work, saying to reboot the console but rebooting didn't do anything. I had to uninstall and reinstall to get it working. There have been other less severe issues, but ultimately this is well worth the money. Expand
  11. Jul 6, 2014
    It's simply the best basketball game out there. The graphics are amazing, with detailed visuals of all nba players and even the ones you create. All of the gamemodes are a bunch of fun to play for hours. The 2 things that bug me about the game is there are 2 in game currencies (1 your earn, 1 you buy with real life money), and for most of the gamemodes you have to be online. Overall aIt's simply the best basketball game out there. The graphics are amazing, with detailed visuals of all nba players and even the ones you create. All of the gamemodes are a bunch of fun to play for hours. The 2 things that bug me about the game is there are 2 in game currencies (1 your earn, 1 you buy with real life money), and for most of the gamemodes you have to be online. Overall a superb game 8/10 Expand
  12. Aug 8, 2014
    Nba2k14 is a gorgeous game that changed from the previous game. The current game includes the my player mode, but it changed some aspects to it. 2k used more of a story to draw fans into the game. The story follows your character from the start to finish, with different scenarios your player comes across. For instance, you may change your agent (your beginning agent is a childhood friend),Nba2k14 is a gorgeous game that changed from the previous game. The current game includes the my player mode, but it changed some aspects to it. 2k used more of a story to draw fans into the game. The story follows your character from the start to finish, with different scenarios your player comes across. For instance, you may change your agent (your beginning agent is a childhood friend), you can choose your attitude on your first game, and decide that you take a foul instead of a teammate Those are just a few of the choices your player will choose. My player does not have the option to sim to important games. The rest of the game follows the format as Nba 2k13 did. The game is one of the best looking next gen games. Expand
  13. Sep 18, 2014
    8/10, I just wish 2K would make these games easier for the casual gamers. It's just too hard. Only weak points of this game is the plain menu's and the difficulty.

An unexpected Xbox One knockout and a year-on-year improvement in every respect - but its spectacular visuals make the clunkier elements painfully obvious.
  2. Dec 31, 2013
    Typically impenetrable for novices, but it’s a stunning piece of work and with some time spent learning the mechanics makes for an epic sporting experience.
  3. Dec 12, 2013
    NBA 2K14 has everything a basketball fan wants to find in a videogame. Xbox One visual impact is astonishing and the new modes, with a preference for My Player, work very well. The ball physics need a little tuning, but the game is still great to play, to watch and to listen to.