Powerstar Golf Xbox One

5.7

1. Nov 26, 2013
    Love this game. It reminds me and my mate of 'Outlaw Golf' we used to play all the time on the original Xbox, this is a close to a sequel as we're ever likely to get! Graphics are great for an arcade title, full HD and running at what must be 60fps, silky smooth. Not quite as humerous as outlaw golf but the mechanics of the game and the extra powerups/upgrades you can use are fun andLove this game. It reminds me and my mate of 'Outlaw Golf' we used to play all the time on the original Xbox, this is a close to a sequel as we're ever likely to get! Graphics are great for an arcade title, full HD and running at what must be 60fps, silky smooth. Not quite as humerous as outlaw golf but the mechanics of the game and the extra powerups/upgrades you can use are fun and really add to the game. Expand
  2. Nov 30, 2013
    Powerstar golf is a game that far exceeded my expectations and here is why. Firstly the foundation for any golf game is the physics engine and I'm glad to say that it feels accurate and true. Graphically it has a charming Pixar style, with a vibrant colourful palette, crisp visuals and good course design. For a game that started development as a 360 game and was bumped up to Xbox OnePowerstar golf is a game that far exceeded my expectations and here is why. Firstly the foundation for any golf game is the physics engine and I'm glad to say that it feels accurate and true. Graphically it has a charming Pixar style, with a vibrant colourful palette, crisp visuals and good course design. For a game that started development as a 360 game and was bumped up to Xbox One launch title at the 11th hour, it looks pretty good.
    Ultimately though it's all about the gameplay and this game may surprise by it's depth. With RPG elements, unique character abilities, special caddy abilities and equipment/power up reward packs that pay tribute and a nod to Mass Effect 3's multiplayer system of unlocking goodies, there's a lot of value and gameplay here. I must also mention Rivals mode, where you play against one of your friend's rounds saved in the Cloud, played in real time, shot against shot and much like the ghost mode of Forza. While there isn't a online competitive mode, this is a great addition with both players being able to earn in game XP and best each other in a kind of virual time, lapsed way. Local turn based multiplayer is obviously included and is great fun. The courses are well designed with plenty of tactical or go for it moments to be had.
    Unlike EA's Tiger Woods titles that play a straight laced game of Golf (play some rounds, save up for the best clubs, win everything, get bored) this has 'Fun' written all over it. The gameplay is well balanced and your character's special abilities are limited to just the right amount per round ensuring you strategically choose the best moments to use them. The caddies you choose have special abilities too and perks which adds another layer of depth. The equipment packs are bought with in-game xp currency and adds a random chance element to what you're going to get, much like Mass Effect 3's fervour when hunting down the rare equipment, perks and unlocks. Don't be put of by the now all too frequent business of in game purchasing using real money. Here it's by no means necessary as you'll start to unlock some great equipment and perks with a few good rounds play. It's there for the impatient with money to spend and in no way will you have to pay to progress. The challenge of setting and beating friends records which are displayed on each hole and the addictive equipment pack system keeps me coming back for more.
    It would be easy to overlook this digital game when it's up against the 'big guns' however for $20/£16 and with a career mode which alone will last over 40 hours if you try to get all 'Golds' in the challenges shows it offers a deep challenge with real value for money. I'm hoping they've got some DLC planned, but even without it, I'll be playing this longer than the likes of Ryse.
  3. Dec 15, 2013
    There's nothing innovative about this title but it's fun, and when it comes down to it isn't that what gaming is all about? A great combination of casual play and completionist challenge.
  4. Jun 25, 2014
    It might not be the most "Next gen" looking game but Powerstar Golf is a solid game.
    The most entertaining game on the Xbox one to date.
    There's no point not trying the game anyone now it's gone F2P using a Pay to play model.
  5. Dec 11, 2013
    This is the surprise launch title of XBOX One. Simple yet so fun. The characters are funny and enjoyable to play. The visuals are top notch. The game play, while like any other golf game is simple enough that anyone can pick it up and play, yet challenging enough that you wont easily master the system.
  6. Jan 22, 2014
    If you enjoy the Hot Shots Golf series, you will find this game enjoyable. As Hot Shots is the only game I really ever got into for PS Vita, I played it through many times. There was almost zero learning curve in switching over to this game. From the start I found the challenges fun and moved through the game quickly. Like Hot Shots, I couldn't stop playing. Played it for 5 hours inIf you enjoy the Hot Shots Golf series, you will find this game enjoyable. As Hot Shots is the only game I really ever got into for PS Vita, I played it through many times. There was almost zero learning curve in switching over to this game. From the start I found the challenges fun and moved through the game quickly. Like Hot Shots, I couldn't stop playing. Played it for 5 hours in the first session. The graphics are good, and the price was right, as of 1/21/2014 when I bought it, Powerstroke Golf was available for 14.99 in the Microsoft Store. I can't wait for EA and their next gen golf game, but this a very fun game to play in the meantime, or if you are not a big fan of golf. If you can pick it up for less than $20, I'd go for it. Expand
  7. Dec 20, 2014
    Greatest golf game ever! What's with the low scores? This game has a great art direction, brilliantly designed courses, and rock solid gameplay. I don't even care for golf and think this game is incredibly fun.
  8. Apr 28, 2014
    If you enjoy hot shots golf etc.. this will entertain you. Unfortunately is not next gen by any stretch. It has fun characters and caddy's along with some fun tweeks like booster cards. I enjoyed that it will let you know your friends top shots on each hole. Unfortunately there is no online or local multiplayer which keeps this a soft 7 instead of a hard 8-9. If you are itching for a golfIf you enjoy hot shots golf etc.. this will entertain you. Unfortunately is not next gen by any stretch. It has fun characters and caddy's along with some fun tweeks like booster cards. I enjoyed that it will let you know your friends top shots on each hole. Unfortunately there is no online or local multiplayer which keeps this a soft 7 instead of a hard 8-9. If you are itching for a golf game or it's on sale pick it up otherwise it's just ok. Expand
  9. Jan 12, 2015
    Got this free... is every xbla type game eventually free? It plays fine...Why is it not kinect?? I had a go with the misses and that's fun enough but some things could actually be better with kinect.. as theres no kinect games on xbo really. .. surely golf is the sweet spot? Anyway rant over.. it's better than i expected.
  10. Dec 6, 2013
    The game is entertaining, but I feel like something is just not complete here. The controls, while straight forward are not always consistent. The putting is attrocious and its just simply a crap shoot on whether you make it in the hole vs using skills and calculating wind, slope, etc.
    The RPG element is a fresh idea, but you need to rely way too much on your power ups as you are just simply nothing without them.
    Graphically, its definitely not "next gen" but its solid over all.
    Its not too bad by any means, but the complete package just isn't there. The putting system is definitely its weakest link along with the inconsistent power/accuracy bar and needing to rely too much on power ups instead of the player fine tuning their skills..Unfortunately there is no trial version so its a complete gamble of $20 if this is something you want to give a shot.
  11. Apr 9, 2014
    I just get the feeling Zoe Mode slapped together this terrible golf game to cash in on all the EA Tiger Woods' fans still waiting for a decent golf game to be released on the XBox One. This game is soooo ten years ago.... in fact, I'd prefer to play EA Tiger Woods 2004 on the original XBox. Better yet, I would rather play Craig Stadler's Pebble Beach Golf Links on the Sega Saturn (now thatI just get the feeling Zoe Mode slapped together this terrible golf game to cash in on all the EA Tiger Woods' fans still waiting for a decent golf game to be released on the XBox One. This game is soooo ten years ago.... in fact, I'd prefer to play EA Tiger Woods 2004 on the original XBox. Better yet, I would rather play Craig Stadler's Pebble Beach Golf Links on the Sega Saturn (now that was a revolutionary golf game!) and that was made in '95! It's just a step backwards from any other golf game released in the last... well... long time. I'm disappointed with the lack of evolution here. If you're an EA Tiger Woods fan, do not buy this game - plain and simple. You'll save yourself some money, but more importantly, you'll avoid feelings of disappointment, anger and disgust. Expand
  12. Jul 19, 2014
    Bringing us Next Gen gamer's it's best version of a fun, friendly, Arcade style golf game, Microsoft Studios has nailed it. The GamePlay is great, it's like a mix of the "Hot Shots Golf" series that started on the OG Playstation, and a Tiger Woods lite level approach to the games visuals and mechanics. No it's not going to wow you with it's graphics, though it's still a great lookingBringing us Next Gen gamer's it's best version of a fun, friendly, Arcade style golf game, Microsoft Studios has nailed it. The GamePlay is great, it's like a mix of the "Hot Shots Golf" series that started on the OG Playstation, and a Tiger Woods lite level approach to the games visuals and mechanics. No it's not going to wow you with it's graphics, though it's still a great looking arcade style golf game, so just don't expect it to look like Tiger 15 or whenever EA makes a XB1 Golf game *(Tiger is no longer affiliated with EA so they are releasing a PGA Tour 15 EA Sports game this fall).

Single Player (Offline Part): Choose one of the characters and what their starting skill set and special traits are, edit them, and start your "career". If's Arcade style, so you have to start on the first specific golf course and play and win at least Bronze or Silver or Gold on the different challenges you can select within each course. Most are simply "Play Front Nine Tourny", "Back Nine Tourny", "Par 3 Challenge", "Par 5 Challenge", and then a "Stroke Player" or "Match Play" game against a new character at the end of each golf course/level.

Characters: Starts with 4-6 characters,bah, but as you beat each course in single player (basically your career) you unlock a new character each course/level, which adds up to like 10-12 unique characters with different golf attributes, swing styles, and special traits. Special traits are a cool arcade thing, like my character has "Power Drive" trait naturally, so 3-6 times a round (depending on your Golf Cards you earn) by tapping B before you swing. The unlockable characters have unique skills, one character can hit an iron or shot into the green and then tap X at any time they want in the approach shot and the golf ball will split into 10+ different balls in the air at slightly different angles, and they all land on the green or miss or whatever, but the closest one is the one you get to use... the character special skills are the most and only true ARCADE part of this game, along with the graphics I guess (though a course in this park with a monorail with a skyscraper in it looks really cool for a few shots on the first or second course).

Single/Multi Player (ONLINE): The great thing is you can level up and use your special character online. You can play rounds and earn points and get ranked on the leaderboards, etc. But say your friend has this game too, you can't play against him Online... though you can play him if you are together on the same console. This is the sole reason I rated this game an 8 out of 10, otherwise it's near perfect. But online is a huge factor.

Online Game Modes: Play online with your character, if you have at least 3 friends who play the game a decent amount that's all you need, as you can click "Friends" playing online, but rather than paying with or against them in a 2-4 man group online, you make your own game by yourself, and while you play you can (depending on option setting) watch the online round of your friend next to you (his most recent round on the online course/challenge) or just have it show their shots while you play (in white streaks like a mode on Tiger). There are daily, weekly, and all time challenges for the game online, with a nice course selection, so overall it's cool to play online (as you still earn XP towards your career online or offline career modes), but not being able to setup a Foursome with my friends grouped up messing around makes the online functionality not what the user expects or wants.

Overall: The depth is great. You earn XP, level up (up to 100 I believe) and it does take some time. You also unlock golf sets with XP and Fake Money you earn from beating challenges or career or playing online. The LASTING APPEAL is quite solid, as the daily tourney's make for a solid start, and the online mode works well enough that it is enjoy. Thank God they allowed you to use your career mode character online. The graphics are quite amazing and crisp 60 Frames Per Second, the sound is actually really great as are the announcers, and the gameplay is done extremely well for an ARCADE Style Golf Game.

8.3 stars out of 10 *If you could play a live match with 2-4 people it would be higher
  13. Oct 23, 2014
    This game is seriously underrated. It's the only NEXT-GEN golf game on the market so far and still one of the best. It's only failing is there isn't enough content and you're not allowed to unlock your own equiptment. There are 5 courses and 6 characters to choose from once you unlock them all. There are 45 gold events to play and as you defeat each course and the course champ, you unlockThis game is seriously underrated. It's the only NEXT-GEN golf game on the market so far and still one of the best. It's only failing is there isn't enough content and you're not allowed to unlock your own equiptment. There are 5 courses and 6 characters to choose from once you unlock them all. There are 45 gold events to play and as you defeat each course and the course champ, you unlock more events. The ball physics are excellent. though. I did find a bug in the game while playing match play again one of the other golfers. That was the only bad moment I had on the course though. With each win you earn credits which allows you to chose to unlock amateur, Pro or Elite gear. Of course, the Elite Gear costs the most and you usually only get 2 Elite items and everything else is power ups. You literally have to play 5-6 rounds of golf to earn enough credit to even purchase the Elite gear. Even if you purchase the Pro gear, you still have a chance to get at least 1 Elite Gear. So you're better off purchasing the Pro Gear to start. Don't waste your time with the Amateur gear. Each golfer also have their own Elite special gear. This is what you want to equip them with once you get them all. The game is a blast and can be challenging at time. One real downside is there's no online multiplayer. You can play against ghost players and try to beat their scores, but that's it. You can't go into a club house (lobby) and hook up with friends and play online. Supposedly Zoe Studios was working on getting this mode up and running while adding more courses and more golfers. I'm still waiting to see this DLC though. All and all this is a great game that is underrated. The fact that it's the old Next-Gen golf game, besides the terrible "The Golf Club " means it's a must have if you're a golf fan. Definitely grab a copy of this game. It's worth the price. Expand
  14. Dec 8, 2013
    Well what can I say. I was hoping this was going to be good from the previews and wow it plays great. Definitely influenced by Everybody's Golf but that's no bad thing if you're a fan of that. Career mode has plenty of legs and the rivals mode is great for competing against your friends best rounds. The only strange omission is no online multiplayer but considering the budget price I'mWell what can I say. I was hoping this was going to be good from the previews and wow it plays great. Definitely influenced by Everybody's Golf but that's no bad thing if you're a fan of that. Career mode has plenty of legs and the rivals mode is great for competing against your friends best rounds. The only strange omission is no online multiplayer but considering the budget price I'm willing to forget it.
    The core gameplay itself is great. The courses are good and can be pretty tough and the perks and boosters make the game fun without making it overkill.
    Ignore the average reviews. Its a great game and my most played title since the xbox one launched.
  15. May 25, 2014
    NEW review-ish: after a recent major update to the game I tried playing it again, and now I find it ok not bad any more, having almost everything unlocked for me now and for free was nice and they seemed to tweak the gameplay a bit to make it more playable, yet I do still have some fairly large problems with this game though.
  16. Feb 23, 2014
    This is a wonderful golf game with a huge nod to the Hot Shots Gold series on the playstation. The characters, the courses, pretty much everything involved with the game has roots with that series and, as a huge fan of Hot Shots Golf, I love this game alot. While I've had more fun with other games, this is the game that I've played the most on the One. It's entertaining and creative. I doThis is a wonderful golf game with a huge nod to the Hot Shots Gold series on the playstation. The characters, the courses, pretty much everything involved with the game has roots with that series and, as a huge fan of Hot Shots Golf, I love this game alot. While I've had more fun with other games, this is the game that I've played the most on the One. It's entertaining and creative. I do believe it is a bit too hard for people just starting however. The game doesn't do a great job at teaching you some of the finer mechanics involving wind and elevation. But, if you don't mind failing at the beginning, you'll find a good game to keep you entertained. The other issue is with the amount of courses. 4 courses is not very many for a golf game to have, even if the career mode, the mode you'll be spending most of your time in, tries to make it look there's more content here than expected. This game won't win any awards and you definitely don't want to use it to show off the power of the next gen consoles. But it's full of fun and enjoyment for the whole family and I'm very glad I picked it up. Expand
  17. Nov 28, 2013
    It plays like a fun little golf game right up there with Hot Shots and Pangya. But the RPG elements almost completely over-shadow the skill in the game though since equipment and booster can have an Insane impact on your characters stats and abilities. The problem is equipment packs are random, you'll need the best packs to have a chance in the later events and courses. Credit gainedIt plays like a fun little golf game right up there with Hot Shots and Pangya. But the RPG elements almost completely over-shadow the skill in the game though since equipment and booster can have an Insane impact on your characters stats and abilities. The problem is equipment packs are random, you'll need the best packs to have a chance in the later events and courses. Credit gained other then one time events is slow, Really slow. Without any bonuses or the coming micro-transactions, it will take playing 300 Holes to buy one of the best packs. In short, An fun golf game that can never really have an balanced match since the advantage will always go to the player that played the most or payed then most. Expand
  18. May 15, 2014
    This one was slightly difficult to review. Im generally more into sports sims like Tiger Woods or FIFA so I had to give this one a little longer to grow on me. It did eventually grow on me. It has some variables that are helping it out. Obviously its the only golf game available currently on Xbox One. Please EA Sports and HB Studios.....get your games out. Im dying for a golf sim. SoThis one was slightly difficult to review. Im generally more into sports sims like Tiger Woods or FIFA so I had to give this one a little longer to grow on me. It did eventually grow on me. It has some variables that are helping it out. Obviously its the only golf game available currently on Xbox One. Please EA Sports and HB Studios.....get your games out. Im dying for a golf sim. So comparing this to a golf sim would be like comparing an early James Bond film to a Tom Clancy novel. Again this helps the game. They have no restrictions or obligation to make this game realistic. Its cartoon golf BUT its good cartoon golf. The physics engine is pretty good and I play a lot of golf. The courses offered go from straightfoward to funny and even just stupid at times. It challenges you a little. Strategizing how to play holes is important but absurd at times. "If I can draw my 5 wood around this mountain and still get enough carry I should be able to find the green." Augusta National on TW14 this certainly is not but then that was never the intention. At the end of the day its still golf. All the gimmicks come out in the end as pretty fun and as long you dont take it too seriously I think any golf fan could have fun with it. The graphics are goregeous. I cant wait to see what EA does to Augusta or Pebble Beach w the XBox One.....the modes and amount of characters are pretty limiting. The replay value is average at best. Kinda like grabbing a cup of coffee at Seven Eleven because you cant make it to Starbucks......its caffeine but its not the first choice. Expand

1. games(TM)
    Jan 23, 2014
    Anyone looking for a more substantial or skill-based party game will be better served elsewhere. [Issue#143, p.107]
  2. Jan 11, 2014
    Definitely fun for the whole family.
  3. Jan 7, 2014
    PowerStar Golf doesn’t reinvent the golf-game wheel, but it’s a pleasant, laid-back diversion with a fun design sense and great camera controls that outweigh its relatively inoffensive microtransaction system.