8.0

1. Nov 10, 2015
    I bought an Xbox One just to play this, and it turn out it horrible, it does not live out to the expectation, tomb raider 2013 was way better in every aspect, I spent 6 hours playing this game, trying to find an attachment to it but failed, I'm going to sell my Xbox One because f this **** I dont even know why they made it an exclusive. the game crashed and lags often enough. 0/10
  2. Nov 15, 2015
    As a classic Tomb Raider fan who was a little disappointed with the 2013 reboot Crystal Dynamics had said all the right things leading up to the release of this game. I was looking forward to more tombs, exploration, less combat and fewer scripted action sequences. However that is not what I got, this game is near enough a carbon copy of the 2013 reboot.

The game starts off well. It

The game starts off well. It sets up an interesting story and you find yourself exploring a tomb section within the first 30 minutes (even if it is a little linear).
    As with the 2013 reboot you eventually reach an open HUB area that you are free to explore.
    There are many things to search for and collect in each area (Strongboxes, treasures, relics, documents, murals, survival caches and coin caches). I found the quantity of these collectibles a little overwhelming, to the point in which I lost the motivation to actually search for them. The majority of them being pointless anyway.

I found most of the areas in this game a little dull and uninteresting. I found myself getting bored of each area very quickly and wanting to progress on with the story, rather than hanging around and properly exploring.

It wasn't long before the gameplay returned to that seen in the 2013 reboot (which is the generic gameplay found in most third person action games), scripted action sequences followed by seemingly endless gunfights, no tombs to be seen. The last third of the game is pretty much gunfight after gunfight. I really struggled to keep playing towards the end.

The challenge tombs do this time have some interesting puzzles. There are even some fun little puzzle sequences along the main story path, but these are not frequent and are usually over far too quickly.

Lara does also have some new abilities that are actually pretty cool, she can use her axe as a grapple to reach high ledges or swing to between platforms. She also gets arrows that can be shot into certain walls and act as platforms to reach higher places. These are fun to use (when you actually get a chance to between all the combat).

I beat the game in around 9 hours. Although by the 6 hour mark I just wanted the game to end so began rushing through most sections.

It's a shame that this is what the Tomb Raider series has become, considering how unique the games used to be. I hope at some point Crystal Dynamics make a decent attempt to return to the gameplay elements that actually made Tomb Raider games great. A game that actually focuses on platforming and puzzle elements, rather than generic action sequences and gun play. Although I am pretty sure that is never going to happen.

I for one will not be buying another Tomb Raider game until I see some dramatic changes.

tl:dr
    Pros:
    - The challenge tombs offer some very interesting areas/puzzles.
    - There are a few fun puzzles sections along the main story.
    - Lara has some cool new abilities.

Cons:
    - Too few tombs and puzzle sequences along the main story, and all of these sequences are over far too quickly.
    - Too many gunfights and scripted action sequences.
    - Gameplay in no way resembles what makes Tomb Raider games great, and remains instead a generic third person action game.
    - Most areas are not very interesting places to explore.
    - Far too many collectibles, leaving you a little overwhelmed.
    - Skill and upgrade systems are completely redundant/unnecessary.
    - Gunfight after gunfight after gunfight.
  3. May 17, 2016
  4. May 11, 2016
    Jeu couloir, aucune innovation, on se fait bien chier, micro transaction à gogo, What else...
    Comment regretter un achat en un jeu ...
    Dernière fois que je me fais avoir
  5. Nov 29, 2015
    Loving the game until I hit a game breaking bug that Crystal Dynamics refuses to fix. I will revise this review if I am ever able to complete the game.
  6. Nov 23, 2015
    Crystal Dynamics has identified a bug that will obligate many people who have played more than half the game to restart all over from the beginning. Search online for'Tomb Raider Acropolis Bug' for details. So far they are offering nothing beyond 'Gosh we're really sorry' for the worst time-wasting bug I've encountered in over twenty years of game playing. They even have the nerve toCrystal Dynamics has identified a bug that will obligate many people who have played more than half the game to restart all over from the beginning. Search online for'Tomb Raider Acropolis Bug' for details. So far they are offering nothing beyond 'Gosh we're really sorry' for the worst time-wasting bug I've encountered in over twenty years of game playing. They even have the nerve to term it 'resolved' on their web site. Expand
  7. Dec 7, 2015
    The story, graphics, and gameplay are all great. I want to love this game. Unfortunately, as of this writing (December 2015) there are *multiple* progression-stopping bugs. Many of them have to do with objects being in unusable positions, and one occurs right near the end which must be very frustrating for those who've gotten that far. I haven't. Guess why. Apparently the problem hasThe story, graphics, and gameplay are all great. I want to love this game. Unfortunately, as of this writing (December 2015) there are *multiple* progression-stopping bugs. Many of them have to do with objects being in unusable positions, and one occurs right near the end which must be very frustrating for those who've gotten that far. I haven't. Guess why. Apparently the problem has to do with corrupted saves, and the developers say no in-game repair is possible. Not sure if it's X360-specific or affects other platforms. The response to user complaints on Square Enix's forums has also been a bit deficient. No game that subjects users to this level of frustration could get more than 2/10 from me, no matter what other promise it showed. Expand
  8. Dec 4, 2015
    This is a very expensive interactive movie with boring gameplay. Not nearly as good as other Tomb Raider games. I guess if you really like watching all CGI movies with very little quality as far as gameplay is concerned, then this game is for you. Otherwise, yet another overhyped and overrated and EXPENSIVE movie. Nice story, little anything else.
  9. Nov 10, 2015
    This tomb raider is similar to the last one and if you are me and were bored to death by the last one, then this one will be no different. Go here, jump over there, shoot a little and rinse and repeat. It has no originality and basically a carbon copy of all previous games. I would not be surprised if Crystal dynamics came out and said this is a copy and paste from the last game.
  10. Aug 27, 2016
    This game looks absolutely incredible on the Xbox One. Square Enix made an incredible choice in choosing to put it on the best console on the market, making it FIRST on Xbox One and making sub-optimal platforms wait a year.
  11. Aug 11, 2016

12. BFM
    Aug 26, 2016
    To scripted. I expexted more freedom. Lara does everything on her own - if the game doesn`t take over control.

The climbing is like in Assasins Creed - just hold forward and watch.
  13. Nov 4, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final boss fight was incredibly irritating. I am so tired of game designers having such little imagination that the only thing they can come up with is to take away all weapons and fight a boss with grenades and a fricking machine gun. Lara can't even fight him hand to hand but has to make grenades for God's sake. it's OK to be able to manufacture grenades but she can't have a gun. Annoying to say the least.The entire thing just pissed me off. The rest of it was a re-hash of plots and puzzles I have seen many times before in other games. Expand
  14. Oct 12, 2016
    Why can't I just buy the core game for $20?

What if after the core game, I am good, and don't need/want any additional content. What is the worth of the DLCs and others that I will not play? As a PS4 consumer, I don't have the option to just have the core game and decide later if I would like additional content. Why make it a bundle, just to justify the $60 price tag.
  15. May 16, 2016
    Bulgarian titles in Siberia just killed me. Developers simply don't respect the players thinking we swallow anything they make. Well, I guess all these "10/10 MASTERPISS" say that many people do.
    Plot is also on a weak dogebola level written by a "writer" Pratchett.
  16. Jul 29, 2017
    Le précédent volet "rebooté" a tenté maladroitement de rénover une licence moribonde... Or, avec cette suite, on reste dans la continuité ici et malgré quelques efforts, Crystal Dynamics reste la même équipe de bras cassés à nous gaver de séquences et de mécaniques de jeu encore éminemment ringardes et désagréables.

Le plus paradoxal est que ce couloir très linéaire à scripts n'assume

Le plus paradoxal est que ce couloir très linéaire à scripts n'assume toujours pas son statut et s'égare en remplissage à faire mourir de honte les farmidables free to play : le jeu est en effet rempli ras la gueule de conneries à ramasser qui décideront de votre capacité à améliorer Lara et ses flingues.

Pourtant, ce nouveau Tomb Raider a sensiblement ralenti sur le nombre de QTE (et de scripts) mais revient hélas toujours ici et là sur ses vieux tics qui tyrannisent le joueur comme dans un abominable kevin of duty (tu suis mon couloir comme je le dis ou tu crèves, connaaard...). C'est évidemment regrettable, car par ailleurs, on a d'assez grandes zones à explorer (bien qu'encore cloisonnées), quelques missions annexes et des tombeaux intéressants.

Evidemment l'histoire, l'espèce d'histoire est indigne d'un sous-Indiana Jones de pacotille et l'infiltration très optionnelle connaît de graves soucis d'équilibrage mais l'ensemble de ce point de vue s'avère plus convaincant que les Uncharted. Si les combats sont un peu moins pénibles qu'auparavant, le maniement, la caméra et le comportement des ennemis restent toujours aussi peu engageants, alors que vers la fin -et sur la fin elle-même qui n'en finit pas- les développeurs démontrent leur incompétence en balançant des hordes et des hordes puis un boss en deux fois trois phases d'une lourdeur sans commune mesure.

Bien sûr, le couloir à largeur variable est encore plus beau que le précédent et d'une direction artistique d'un bon goût indiscutable, qui s'est gavée sur les détails d'un environnement souvent alambiqué ainsi que sur le popotin de la grognasse divinement modélisé, laquelle ne geint plus autant que jadis (quand même !). La musique dans le ton et les voix françaises ne déçoivent pas non plus, cela dit.

En conclusion, et malgré quelques progrès sensibles, je propose donc que la licence soit rachetée pour un euro symbolique par Ubisoft ou Bethesda qui sauraient en faire quelque chose de bien plus intéressant dans un monde ouvert avec des mécaniques de TPS digne de ce nom. Pour autant que ces conneries de Tomb Raider s'avérassent jamais un tant soit peu intéressantes, cela va sans dire.

1. CD-Action
    Jan 12, 2016
    It’s basically the same great game we’ve played before but prettier and even more enjoyable. Actually the Tomb Raider series never offered so much fun. [13/2015, p.32]
  2. Jan 9, 2016
    It is an enjoyable game, but if only Crystal Dynamics could have resolved its conflicts by focusing its attention on what Tomb Raider does best and cutting out anything that got in the way of that, it could have been something far more special.
  3. Jan 8, 2016
    A great experience that is let down by its voice acting and certain key junctures in the story when the developers just tell us so much that we can guess what's going to happen next. The good news is that these are few and far between and the spectacular final missions make up for everything.