5.9

1. Nov 22, 2013
    A very very bad game. The graphics are certainly good but the gameplay is incredibly repetitive, tedious and simplistic. Playing Ryze; son of rome feels like a chore twenty minutes in.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    the visuals are stunning, the graphics are insane
    but the gameplay is just tedious and boring, extremely repetitive and no fun at all
    CryTek might be good at creating ultra visuals, but they totally forgot they are making a video game, not CG movie...
    a 7 hours long cliche, that's what it's all about...
    disappointing, boring, waste of time and money
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    Was disappointed by this game to be honest.At least it looks nice.The story was predictable,the combat got played out after a while,even though it's parry,bash,slash, execution flow chart of combat is amusing at first it's limited by it realism and the repetitive nature of the combat really cuts this game off at the knees.
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    It felt like I have played this game before. Oh wait I did, except it was the complete opposite of this game. This game has good graphics (to console players), but did they just make terrible gameplay on purpose? Or does the cryengine just suck when it comes to this style of games? Just a linear, boring, from high budget-to low effort. I would rather play Cursed Crusade then this game. AtIt felt like I have played this game before. Oh wait I did, except it was the complete opposite of this game. This game has good graphics (to console players), but did they just make terrible gameplay on purpose? Or does the cryengine just suck when it comes to this style of games? Just a linear, boring, from high budget-to low effort. I would rather play Cursed Crusade then this game. At least that game had a characters that I grew to love and wanted to succeed. Expand
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    A pretty good tech demo obviously, but a pretty bad game on the other hand, repetitive and boring after 15 minutes of gameplay. Watching the videos will give you all what this "game" has to offer visuals, no need to buy it or even play it. The problem with only nice-looking games is that they won't remain nice for long, especially in this new gen.
  6. Nov 24, 2013
    Beautiful Game..........That's it......Takes absolutely no skill what so ever, your going to literally going to spam with sword and throw in an occasional block.....Extremely repetitive would now waste the money to buy this again.
  7. Nov 22, 2013
    This is more of a tech demo than a game, its no way worth its premium price. The price will probably drop like a stone when more games start coming out for the xbox one. It looks good but gets really boring really fast.
  8. Nov 22, 2013
    Ryse is basically a tech demo. It looks amazing, but it plays like mud and is extremely boring. Gameplay is buggy, broken and boring. The story is mediocre at best. Overall, I'd say skip it until it reaches the bargain bin.
  9. Nov 29, 2013
    While the Graphics on this game are pretty, the game play is lacking, if you get past the shiny pretty stuff you'll realize the game is sub-par and inst really that good, after about 3 hours i was pissed i owned the game it just wasn't that good. If you like pretty graphics and that's all you care about chances are you'll like it but the game is very repetitive tedious.
  10. Dec 4, 2013
    nice if you want an interactive video but if a serious gamer the interface and lack of variety do not make up for lovely graphics, seems to be the current trend have 80% on graphics and 20% actual gameplay
  11. Nov 27, 2013
    Pros: The game looks really good, and it was kind of neat to go into battle formation with other soldiers.

Cons: Repetitive, predictable, no challenge, only 10 stages.

It was a pretty big let down.
  12. Dec 7, 2013
    A below average game with boring gameplay awful QTE events that go on even if you fail to push the button and abysmal combat system. The historycal accuracy is nonexistant and the game is nothing more than a tech demo made to show how shiny things can be on the new xbone.
  13. Nov 26, 2013
    Ryse looks really good on the outside but what is found inside is a shallow attempt at making a hack n slash game, without that much SELF attempt at hacking or slashing. Ryse Son of QTE is too short, too repetitive, has lazy enemies and enemy design, bosses pffft what bosses, no progression, story. Yeah not the best of starts for the XBONE.
  14. Jun 14, 2014
    The more I play Ryse: Son of Rome, the more I loathe its stupidity, its love of gory violence like it's something cool, and stupid map layouts. "Kill the barbarians" seems to be the only mission.
  15. Nov 27, 2013
    bad game and very short i don't think that crytec should do eny game eny more and stay with their engine.i didn't see that vomming with all of the hype
  16. K2D
    Dec 4, 2013
    This is good looking, boring, tech-demo. The first five minutes you'll be blown away by the grapics. After that you'll a have a tedius, monotone workday ahead of you in the shoes of a roman soldier. Welcome to the butchers.
  17. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the most uninspired games I've played, it was like watching a turd in HD. 5 minutes in and I'm bored with the endless and repetitive combat. If we're meant to mash buttons for hours at least make the combat system interesting.. They took one of the most interesting topics from our history (Rome) and turned it into a bare bones pedestrian story (using emperor Calligula no less, oneOne of the most uninspired games I've played, it was like watching a turd in HD. 5 minutes in and I'm bored with the endless and repetitive combat. If we're meant to mash buttons for hours at least make the combat system interesting.. They took one of the most interesting topics from our history (Rome) and turned it into a bare bones pedestrian story (using emperor Calligula no less, one of the most messed up emperors Rome's seen). 8 in graphics but zero in game play and imagination. Worst first game ever for a console. Expand
  18. Mar 19, 2014
    So terrible. The combat is repetitive, and the storyline is generic. One of the worst launch titles ever. The only thing this game had for it was the graphics, in which the character models look terrible except maybe one.
  19. Jun 25, 2014
    When I bought Ryse I expected to be blown away with the stunning graphics and epic game play. But all I was left with was a game that looked like a 360 game and a story that gets boring very quickly.The graphics is not that amazing like everyone claims it is this game has the graphics of an Xbox 360 game and that is a big disappointment
  20. Apr 5, 2014
    Merda delle merde putridume del putridume................................................................................................................
  21. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a prime example of good graphics and bad gameplay. Don't get me wrong, cutting people up is fun but it gets boring after hours of the same exact bland gameplay,
  22. Dec 19, 2013
    This game is so one dimensional, definitely not worth the Even after the 3GB update to revise combat, the game falls flat on its face.

Sure things are beautiful but you're always fighting the same 3 boring enemies to advance the story. This game tried to be a God of War but the dumbed down combat and lack of variety would hardly keep a 7 year old entertained more than a few hours.

Don't even get me started on the upgrade system, an Android or Iphone game has more complex upgrades and oh wait do you ask if this game is a Free-To-Play? You will after seeing the number of micro-transactions they prompt you with. AVOID THIS GAME UNLESS YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PLAY
  23. Aug 3, 2014
    There is no reasonable explanation to the senseless carnage, that was made out to the Roman history, common sense, realism sense of proportion in this game. Looks like, that game director was a mad emperor Nero himself, after 10 years of unstoppable orgy.

All in this game is horrible and senseless, except graphics and soundtrack. This product is a major disappointment and a vary bad example of "historical" game for poor children, that would be thinking about Roman history in terms of Ryse: Son of Rome presentation.
  24. Dec 18, 2014
    This on-rails hack and slasher is fun for 30 minutes but gets repetitive and boring real fast! It has amazing graphics and performance by the main character but who cares if the story and characters are all but non-existent? It's short (about 5-6 hours) but you'll get bored a lot quicker then that!
  25. Jun 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ryse is a visually stunning game that really turns up the graphics benchmark with the use of CryEngine. The game play mechanics tend to be enjoyable for a short period of time and the story line takes on a twist that I wasn't fully expecting.

Games made with the CryEngine do not need a review explaining that the graphics are good, this is to be expected with CryEngine so we'll continue with the original advertisement of this game.

When I first heard about Ryse I watched a trailer that showed someone playing the game with the Kinect and they were fighting. Swinging their arms like they had a sword, raising their arm like they had a shield, kicking the enemy away from them and finally hurling their sword. This was an excellent promotion that caught my attention. I thought to myself "Finally, someone is going to use the Kinect the way it needs to be used!"
    I was sadly disappointed to find the only Kinect features this game actually has in it are with voice commands which are rather useless.

With the Kinect features out of the question this game should be able to deliver spectacular fights and it almost seemed as if the developers had done so when you go through a kill animation and have to press certain buttons and see the spectacular method of killing your enemy.
    Although, after a few times of doing so you quickly realize that it's the same thing over and over. Killing an enemy without one of these sequences feels meaningless and killing them with one of those sequences becomes too repetitive.

Then they add a feature where you can press a button and everything around you slows down and you can start owning everyone around you. This feature seems neat as well but after a few uses you once again discover it's rinse and repeat all over again.

The story line to the game is almost good. The best part of the story line is when you discover you're Damocles. The way the game builds up the story behind Damocles makes it feel as if this warrior is so awesome that his presence would be enough to kill your enemy. Then you discover that you are Damocles in the manner that you were brought back for vengeance and at first it feels as if your character will be transformed somehow, maybe faster, or stronger with new kill animations or anew weapon.
    But this is not true. The only new thing that happens is your character places a mask over his face a few times.

After the campaign is over you're left with the arena which doesn't have very many options and isn't all that difficult to complete. Every game I've ever played that involved an arena or Colosseum have never gotten it wrong, until now. The developers did add several things to the arena that I haven't seen in previous games but these objects are generally not needed to win and therefore don't necessarily add to the game play.

Overall. Ryse is nothing close to what was shown in the early trailers. The graphics are very good which is expected from the CryEngine. Game play mechanics are too repetitive. The use of the Kinect is useless and should have been excluded entirely. The story line takes a very interesting twist and doesn't build on the character afterwards. The arena has things inside it that I haven't seen before giving the arena potential for unique combat, but ultimately isn't needed and isn't very challenging.
  26. Mar 20, 2014
    It's pretty obvious that this game was supposed to be more of a tech-demo than a real game. In fact, I'd say that even as a tech demo it looks pretty darn sorrow. Heck that was an understatement. The gameplay of course is what matters, right? Well here it's been thrown out the window, along with the visuals, the aesthetics, the feel and the immersion. I love the Roman era, but this hasIt's pretty obvious that this game was supposed to be more of a tech-demo than a real game. In fact, I'd say that even as a tech demo it looks pretty darn sorrow. Heck that was an understatement. The gameplay of course is what matters, right? Well here it's been thrown out the window, along with the visuals, the aesthetics, the feel and the immersion. I love the Roman era, but this has done nothing but cover it with crap. FYI Crytek, never, ever use quick-time events, ever! I got a refund the next day. Expand
  27. Nov 29, 2014
    Horrible. This game is Golden Ax Beast Hunter (xbox 360) with a story line. Graphics are next gen quality, but the repetitive/ uninspiring combat drags this game down...way down. The RPG system feels completley useless. if you are after achievement points, and can get the game for 10 bucks go for it.
  28. Jan 2, 2014
    This is a Monotonous game you have block alot and it only works a 3rd of the time, i couldn't beat the last boss on easy and fully upgraded, I believe this game is for zombie players, sword games should not be made to use the same series of attacks over and over in the game, i rate this game a 4, if you use the same series of attacks it doesn't do any good because block dose not work halfThis is a Monotonous game you have block alot and it only works a 3rd of the time, i couldn't beat the last boss on easy and fully upgraded, I believe this game is for zombie players, sword games should not be made to use the same series of attacks over and over in the game, i rate this game a 4, if you use the same series of attacks it doesn't do any good because block dose not work half the time, and there were a couple of times in the game i wasn't sure what to do or where to go, so thoughtless for a game designer. Expand
  29. Jan 21, 2014
    One of the best looking games Ive play, characters and there animations are gorgeous but even that cannot redeem the repetitive game play...
    Its just a button masher nothing more go to one play and button mash next place and so forth until you beat the game
  30. Mar 25, 2014
    This game is decent if you like simple action games that pose no real difficulty. The story is rather generic and uninteresting. The only really good thing to say about this game is the graphics and some of the fighting that takes place in the cut scenes are terrific. The actual fighting is insanely repetitive and boring however. If you have to pay for this game, its not worth it.This game is decent if you like simple action games that pose no real difficulty. The story is rather generic and uninteresting. The only really good thing to say about this game is the graphics and some of the fighting that takes place in the cut scenes are terrific. The actual fighting is insanely repetitive and boring however. If you have to pay for this game, its not worth it. Borrow it or rent it and its decent. Collapse
  31. May 5, 2014
    This is more like a playable graphics demo. the graphics are amazing, but the gameplay is terrible. the hitboxes, blocky controls and choppy combat make this game extremely frustrating.
  32. Mar 16, 2014
    Ryse was a very disappointing game for me. At 60$ all you're getting is a very short, very boring story with quite possibly the most boring combat (basically the whole game) I have ever experienced. The ONLY thing this game sis worthy of is flashing it's awesome visuals. If this game were a girl, it would be a REALLY hot girl that has a TERRIBLE personality and is waiting for marriage toRyse was a very disappointing game for me. At 60$ all you're getting is a very short, very boring story with quite possibly the most boring combat (basically the whole game) I have ever experienced. The ONLY thing this game sis worthy of is flashing it's awesome visuals. If this game were a girl, it would be a REALLY hot girl that has a TERRIBLE personality and is waiting for marriage to have sex while you've been dating for 3 years. All flash, no show. Worth 5$ or less. Expand
  33. Mar 15, 2014
    YAWN........ This is the best most beautiful looking TURD that I have ever seen. BORING. The same over and over and over and over again....... YAWN. Lazy developers giving you the moist tedious repetitive game that has ever been produced.
  34. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    t's a game you'd rather not pay 60 bucks for or 1 dollar for either. It's a pretty tech demo with no actual gameplay.
  35. Mar 20, 2014
    Absolutely misleading graphs. Perfect elements contrast with serrated negligible in some detail. Storyline cliche.

Where is the difficulty of this game that I find?
  36. Jun 2, 2014
    Fantastic graphics engine but feel more like a E3 Reveal game and that's what it is. The storyline is ok at times but really does not deliver the promise of an in-depth gaming experience. I really wanted to like this game, I really did. But I just couldn't...
  37. Jun 4, 2014
    Its repetitive. Its repetitive. Graphics are good. Graphics are good. Atmosphere is great. Atmosphere is great. Combat is fun for two hours.Combat is fun for two hours. 60 bucks it too much. 60 bucks is too much.
    Very good rent. Very good rent.
  38. Sep 19, 2014
    This game is not worth buying. While visually stunning that appears all they were going for. User controls are VERY slow in responding and the moves you can do for a "kill" seem random. On "Legendary" level it just gets ridiculous. You get killed by 3 hits in full armor, yet you have to hit a Barbarian wearing nothing but cloth 10 times at least to kill him. And the views in battle areThis game is not worth buying. While visually stunning that appears all they were going for. User controls are VERY slow in responding and the moves you can do for a "kill" seem random. On "Legendary" level it just gets ridiculous. You get killed by 3 hits in full armor, yet you have to hit a Barbarian wearing nothing but cloth 10 times at least to kill him. And the views in battle are terrible. The screen shifts and all of a sudden an enemy shows up to kill you that you didn't even know was there. There is no open roaming and the direction you have to go is usually unclear. They say it took 7 years to make this game?? WTF? They should have just made it a CGF movie instead. Don't waste your time. Expand
  39. Sep 21, 2014
    2/10 because it is not worth the price tag. This game should be free to Xbox One owners, or at the very most cost $10, because you will not get anymore than 5 hours into this game without being bored. It looks fantastic, the acting is great, but it is so repetitive you lose interest within 5 hours.
  40. Mar 25, 2014

1. Sep 8, 2014
    Ryse is a bit of a marmite game, if you are looking for a great gaming experience that takes forever to perfect then Ryse is not for you. If you are interested in a Roman interactive movie with a solid story line then I’d say give it a shot.
    Beautiful but stale, boring, shallow and lacking in variation.
  3. Sep 4, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a really good looking game, but at the same time incredible stupid. Thanks to the graphics and the amount of brutal combat the adventure managed to entertain, at least for a bit. If you find Ryse on sale it can be worth a closer look, but for a full price game it’s a disappointment.