5.9

1. Nov 22, 2013
    Very strongly addictive, so everything looks around. This unusual, very beautiful, unexpectedly brutal game so far the only major project for this console, from which, they say, "smells blockbuster" and perhaps the main reason to buy this console.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    A very very bad game. The graphics are certainly good but the gameplay is incredibly repetitive, tedious and simplistic. Playing Ryze; son of rome feels like a chore twenty minutes in.
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    the visuals are stunning, the graphics are insane
    but the gameplay is just tedious and boring, extremely repetitive and no fun at all
    CryTek might be good at creating ultra visuals, but they totally forgot they are making a video game, not CG movie...
    a 7 hours long cliche, that's what it's all about...
    disappointing, boring, waste of time and money
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    Stunning!

I can not believe the notes are receiving this title, I have been playing for several hours and I found it shocking, graphically is a tremendous leap, you gasp at every step you take and playable is very good, the combat system at all is boring I really do not understand anything that happened to this game in my notes but deserves a September 1 as a temple. Do not think twice
    and try it, do not want to sell the bike to anyone, in fact it is one of the first times I write and take in meristation since it began but such has been my impression with this game with respect to the notes that have not had no choice.

As I say Ryse is awesome, no more palliative.
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    As a fan of all videogames, I try to be objective in what does or doesn't make a videogame fun to play. If you have ever played a hack-n-slash or beat-em-up game, you are already prepared for what Ryse has to offer. The gameplay is repetitive to say the least, but there isn't a game out there that doesn't devolve into repetitive button mashing of some sort. I don't understand the harsh criticism the game has garnered from both the media and the users, but you should make your own mind up about the game independent of someone else's opinion. I can guarantee you will NOT find a better looking game for the next gen systems before the end of the year and if you can honestly accept the game for what it is...an absolutely gorgeous, epically scaled yet repetitious and shallow hack-n-slash, then you'll probably get plenty of enjoyment out of the game. Expand
  6. Nov 22, 2013
    A Proper Review.

I highly disagree with many of the reviews on here. I think most people are just Crytek haters or PS4 fanboys who are are bitter that they don't have decent launch titles with something unique. This game is simply beautiful and a game-changer. I definitely think this will be a visual benchmark for many futures games to come. Every aspect was crafted with the utmost
    detail in mind. The sound is exquisite and although short, it should be treated as a movie rather than a game. Consider this is a launch title and strict deadlines are always in place. New hardware, and new mechanics need to be mapped. You don't come out with the best possible creation you can possibly make right out of the gate. That just doesn't happen and should not be expected. For what it is and when it was released. It is a masterpiece. As far as other games in this genre, this one takes the cake in almost all aspects.

Gameplay: all comes down to the user. If you find it repetitive, it is simply down to the fact you are not creative enough to make your own fun and change it up. Go play a Nintendo game if all you care about is gameplay. I had a blast trying to run up my combo, and finding creative ways to land kills; getting my timing just right. The executions were impeccable, and movements almost seemed borderline lifelike.

Graphics: This speaks for itself. I don't think I need to beat around talking about this. People should really consider this in their scores. Rome comes to life.

Environment: Linear, but with all the visuals to keep you immersed. My jaw dropped when I entered the arena and I had a rush of excitement. They pulled off this atmosphere perfectly.

Story: Very movie-like. Entertainment value for me held up throughout the entire game. I was gripped almost the entire time. There aren't many games in this genre (good games) and I'm pretty tired of all the Greek Myth, etc. So going Roman and having an ode to Spartacus got it just right for me. Marius isn't a super hero, but just another character. I appreciated this.

Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 8
    Story: 9
    Overall Experience: 9 Just wish it was longer.

I'll be perfectly honest. I had a blast with this game and I truly think it's worth a play through. It's something you have to say you've at least experienced. So I have trouble understanding all these other reviews. Did they actually play it or are they just taking snippets from mediocre reviews? Let's be real. This is unlike anything you've played on any previous generations. Anyway great work and can't wait to see more.
  7. Nov 22, 2013
    All style and no substance. Ryse looks superb, however there's nothing to keep you hooked or pull you back in. The plot is thin and cliche with every character adopting a very one-dimensional motivation. The gameplay is extremely repetitive. It looks good, and in short bursts can be enjoyable, but play it for an length of time and it becomes very tedious. Campaign is also very short (a worrying trend in the industry today). The co-op mode helps to flesh out the game and having a friend with you always adds to the experience but, unfortunately, the combat is still far too simple.

Only worth a purchase if you're a fan of the setting or you wait for a price drop down the line. Truth is, there isn't much here besides visuals and with far better launch titles available I would avoid it.
  8. Nov 22, 2013
    Was disappointed by this game to be honest.At least it looks nice.The story was predictable,the combat got played out after a while,even though it's parry,bash,slash, execution flow chart of combat is amusing at first it's limited by it realism and the repetitive nature of the combat really cuts this game off at the knees.
  9. Nov 22, 2013
    Sony fanboys are flooding the user review section just because they want the game to fail, so ignore the 0, 1 rating (and the Xclusiveitalian user, he gave 0 for all Xbox games and 10 for all PS4 games) because it doesn't make sense.
    Now talking about the game. It's gorgeous, and easily the best looking game to date. But, that's not all.
    The game plays good and fluid, but may became a
    little repetitive near the end. But that's normal for a action hack'n slash game. If you like roman, action, bloody, visceral game with a very good story, Ryse is for you. If you get bored quickly, and don't like blood, Ryse is not for you and is better to wait for a price drop.
    But the best you can do is try it by yourself, because it's love or hate game, like Halo.
    And one of the best games I've ever played is 55 score on metacritic, so reviews is not always what you're gonna think about the game. Better try it. And in my opinion, you're gonna have hours of fun playing Ryse!
  10. Nov 22, 2013
    Everyone on here rating games a 0 or 1 are discrediting themselves and only making themselves look like idiot trolls. This game is not a 0 or a 1. It is somewhere between a 4 or an 8. Some people will like it if they want mostly great graphics and simple yet fun gameplay, others will prefer deeper gameplay and will grow tired of Ryse after an hour or two. That is fine. Please share valid reasons either way and find a fair rating. I have played most of the big budget games, and none of them are 0s or 1s! Some prefer halo, some prefer BF, and some prefer COD. Each one as their strengths and weaknesses, but none are totally broken or unplayable. Remove all 0s an 1 ratings and then add up the rest and you will get a better picture of how good or bad a game truly is. My take on Ryse:

Graphics 9
    Gameplay 6 (good but gets old after a few hours)
    Music 8 (good Hollywood style music)
    Story 7 (kept my interest, but the characters could use more depth)
    Length 4 (6 hours is too short, more fun on hard setting, co-op decent, not worth 60 dollars)

Overall 7
  11. Nov 22, 2013
    This might be one of my favorite games to play! It was the first game that I popped in to play when I got my xbox one. The graphics look spectacular! The storyline is great. The graphic kills my favorite part! I would have given it a higher score but the campaign is short.. but after the first three hours of the game you know exactly what to do and I like that! With more DLC to come for this game I look forward to the future hopefully a difficulty spike cuz I get thru hack and slash games rather quickly. But if you want quick out of the box fun pick up Ryse Expand
  12. Nov 22, 2013
    It felt like I have played this game before. Oh wait I did, except it was the complete opposite of this game. This game has good graphics (to console players), but did they just make terrible gameplay on purpose? Or does the cryengine just suck when it comes to this style of games? Just a linear, boring, from high budget-to low effort. I would rather play Cursed Crusade then this game. At least that game had a characters that I grew to love and wanted to succeed. Expand
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    It's not Devil May Cry with Romans but the combat is fun and very fluid if lacking in depth. The games problems mostly arise when your not in combat as its not nearly as fun. Animations do become repetitive after a while however
  14. Nov 22, 2013
    I find it funny how if you click on the name of someone who scored this game a 0 you can see how they gave every Xbone game a 0 and there beloved PS4 games a 10....
  15. Nov 22, 2013
    I give this game an 8.5. I marked it as a 10 to try to balance out some of the H8erBots that are posting zeros with word-for-word H8er reviews.

Visuals: Stunningly beautiful game. Clearly next-gen graphics.
    Combat: You can absolutely button mash if you just want to get through the combat. That's not too sophisticated. HOWEVER, if you take the time to learn the combat mechanics, it
    actually has some depth to it. So, not the best, but definitely not the worst.
    Story: Light, but enough to paint the game with some sort of reason to be killin'.
    Gore: Lots of it. Became desensitized pretty quick, but if you are squeamish, looking inside of a dude's arm as you cut it off may be a bit much.
  16. Nov 23, 2013
    Great cinematic experience. The game is also challenging where it counts. If you are looking for an experience then this game is for you. On the other hand if you are looking to grind and skip through the story then probably not so much.
  17. Nov 22, 2013
    A pretty good tech demo obviously, but a pretty bad game on the other hand, repetitive and boring after 15 minutes of gameplay. Watching the videos will give you all what this "game" has to offer visuals, no need to buy it or even play it. The problem with only nice-looking games is that they won't remain nice for long, especially in this new gen.
  18. Nov 22, 2013
    This is a strange one for me.. i didnt expect to enjoy Ryse. Wasnt impressed by any vids had viewed but wow! The visuals are amazing, the controls are weighty which is always good plus combat is slick. Get this game, it wont disappoint
  19. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is so much fun combat is just like batman and I love the combat in that game aswell also the addition to multiplayer which made my jaw drop lovely
  20. Ls6
    Nov 22, 2013
    Brilliant from start to finish. I encourage everyone reading these reviews to look at the profiles of those giving this game a 0. They poorly rate all xbone games and give ps4 games 10s
  21. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is Gorgeous. whether you are fighting in ancient Rome or in the Swamps the detail to this game is out of this world. It is also really fun game to play. I recommend playing on legendary that way the AI doesn't stand around and wait for you to finish slaying their buddies. the combat style while simple has to have perfect timing on the harder modes which makes the perks helpful later in the game. I would recommend this game purely because of the graphics and story but the gameplay is actually quite good. Hope this helps others. Expand
  22. Nov 22, 2013
    Ryse is short, it looks to have spawned from a tech demo. The incredible graphics aren't consistent and some things are barely 'next gen'. BUT.. it's great fun. In 6 to 12 months when it's cheap... have a go. Multiplayer is solid fun.
  23. Nov 24, 2013
    Beautiful Game..........That's it......Takes absolutely no skill what so ever, your going to literally going to spam with sword and throw in an occasional block.....Extremely repetitive would now waste the money to buy this again.
  24. Nov 22, 2013
    This is more of a tech demo than a game, its no way worth its premium price. The price will probably drop like a stone when more games start coming out for the xbox one. It looks good but gets really boring really fast.
  25. Nov 22, 2013
    Ryse is basically a tech demo. It looks amazing, but it plays like mud and is extremely boring. Gameplay is buggy, broken and boring. The story is mediocre at best. Overall, I'd say skip it until it reaches the bargain bin.
  26. Nov 22, 2013
    While it is not a perfect game, it is also much better than most people is trying to make of it. Visuals are stunning, for sure, but the story is also engaging and truly epic, without being stupid or absolute cliche. The gameplay is fun, although it can become repetitive after a while. This is probably the biggest problem with the game, the gameplay is not varied or evolving enough. Still, is fun and is very satisfaying in its own gore-style way. This is not a 10 game, i should give it a 7. But i feel like i have to compensate for the hordes of stupid fanboys that are giving this a 0 without even playing it, so here is my 10. Expand
  27. Nov 23, 2013
    I want you guys to look who is making negative reviews. By and large they are people who downvote every XBone game. I know why. You know why. Ignore their ratings. READ the top reviews.

I'm giving this game a ten to help balance out the scores. It is probably about an 8. Why? Production values. As a fellow game designer I have rarely seen such a beautifully put together world. The story
    is a bit weak, but lets face it... was God of War any better? No, it was a cliche rip off of mythology. This is FAR better than that in my opinion because I could almost believe parts of it.

I don't find the gameplay boring, but it does get repetitive. But all games do in my opinion and I've been playing them since the start of the video game era in the 80's.

I've got great hope that addons to this game are going to make it one of the must haves, which is already is... simply for it's beauty.

Game on fellow players.
  28. Nov 22, 2013
    So I am a huge fan of this type of setting in a game, Ryse is beautiful, and offers some of the best graphics I have seen in console gaming so far I haven't gotten a chance to fully play this game, so i cant come to the same conclusions as some of you that have had a full play through. however from what i have played of it, it seems very repetitive, the combat is very cool, allot of cool executions, and if you love a gory game, this is definitely the game for you, but from what i played it seemed more like a demo then a full game, it just wasnt complex at all in any form, and I just cant justify spending the new release price for this game, IMHO if you are interested in ryse, you should wait for a price drop. otherwise you are going to be disappointed with what you get for the money. Expand
  29. Nov 22, 2013
    Endless Fun.

I got this game at midnight release and i beat the game already. The graphics are astonishing and the story is phenomenal. 9/10 The reviewers are obviously Sony Fanboys
  30. Nov 23, 2013
    I happen to love this game. Graphics are amazing as everyone can see. I love hack and slash games games. Ryse is simply a great pick up and play game. On harder settings its a lot less of a button masher. I happen to love the QTE in games. I enjoyed them in all the other games that had QTEs. I knew this game was going to get hacked and slashed but for people that are fans of the genre, its a really great and fun game. Expand
  31. Nov 23, 2013
    I don't usually spend time writing reviews, but I had to sound off on this game. I've finished the campaign and played several multiplayer matches in the Colosseum. If you're on the fence about buying this after looking at some of the reviews by the "experts" out there, don't be. This game is one of the most AMAZING games I've ever played. It is just epic in every sense of the word. It draws you in in a way that few games do and is super fun--especially the better you get at combat. And the graphics...GOOD GOD. You sit back on some of the levels, and it's like you're playing a movie. It's just astonishing.

The biggest gripe I see from critics is that the gameplay is just button mashing and that the gameplay has no depth. I would say put it on a high difficulty setting and see how far you get button mashing. Yes, Crytek has it where newbies can button mash through the lowest difficulty setting just to eventually finish the game so they don't get frustrated, but as far as I'm concerned the same can be said of most games. As far as the depth of combat, if you actually take the time to learn and explore the combat system it is about as good as you're possibly going to do for a "sword and sandals" game like this. If you don't take the time to learn any of it, then it can appear deceptively simple. But again that also can be said of most games. If you want to actually play the game as intended and learn the combat system, something I don't think a lot of the reviewers took the time to do, it is absolutely bad a&%, fun, and addictive.

If you have an Xbox One or are getting an Xbox One, I can't recommend this game highly enough. It's awe-inspiring. And a heck of a lot of fun. I don't know why some of the critics decided to pick on this game--maybe it was the so-called "disastrous" E3 demo with quick time events (which I still thought looked amazing), the fact that it started out as a Kinect title and went through development hell and morphed into a different game than it started out as, or just the hype and how high expectations were for it--but in any case they got this one wrong. It's close to a masterpiece.

Graphics: 4 stars Awe-inspiring. You've never seen anything like it. Truly next gen.
    Story: 4 stars Very cool story and a brilliant way it is presented reminiscent of the Call of Duty series.
    Sound: 4 stars Terrific sound effects. Beautiful soundtrack. I haven't checked out who the composer was, but it almost has a Hans Zimmer Gladiator feel to it.
    Gameplay: 4 stars Play the game the right way as it was intended and learn the combat system. It makes everything more fun and enjoyable. And addictive.
  32. Nov 29, 2013
    While the Graphics on this game are pretty, the game play is lacking, if you get past the shiny pretty stuff you'll realize the game is sub-par and inst really that good, after about 3 hours i was pissed i owned the game it just wasn't that good. If you like pretty graphics and that's all you care about chances are you'll like it but the game is very repetitive tedious.
  33. Nov 24, 2013
    I just finished Ryse and im just blown away. I really loved it and im playing through it again on legendary. The combat for me is fun. I never get tired of whipping my opponent through the air and dismembering him as he falls down (just one example of tons of animations the developers have created). The brutality of the out come of a perfect parry and fighting several opponents at once is rewarding (you can't see that finisher animation if you get hit or keeping slashing without looking out for prompts). The only gripe I have is that the enemies repeat themselves so you end up fighting the same looking dude a lot of times or even two at once.
    Multiplayer is fun as heck. Character development for the campaign is a bit shallow but multiplayer's leveling up is addicting and being able to upgrade your character with gold is well done (although micro-transactions cheapen the feel a bit). Im confused about reviewers giving it such a low score but you really must try it. I guess perhaps being a fan of roman lore helped me get into it much more than others.
  34. Nov 24, 2013
    It's not really that bad. The gameplay is repeative, yes, but the graphics are phenomenal and the setting is quite great. If you enjoyed movies like Gladiator and 300 you will definitely enjoy this one
  35. Nov 23, 2013
    This game looks absolutely fantastic, probably on par with Forza Motorsport 5 but the gameplay is so mind numbingly boring after about an hour of play. Wait for it to come down in price.
  36. Nov 24, 2013
    I created an account just to review this game. I do not think it is a 10 by any means, however with so many people unfairly scoring it 5 and below I figured this was only fair. I would say it is a 6.5 game and a lot of these low scores from "reputable" gaming sites is disheartening, and unfair to the consumers and the games creators and staff. I thoroughly enjoyed Ryse and will continue to play it and show it off. Expand
  37. Dec 4, 2013
    nice if you want an interactive video but if a serious gamer the interface and lack of variety do not make up for lovely graphics, seems to be the current trend have 80% on graphics and 20% actual gameplay
  38. Nov 23, 2013
    I totally disagree wit all the negative remarks made on this game. Great gameplay, gorgeous graphics and an arsenal of finishing moves makes this game a must have for Xbox one owners. There is nothing like this out there, and for a launch title, this game makes the Xbox one worth buying... unlike KillZone SF for PS4, that game really left me wanting more. Buy this game. You'll love it!
  39. Nov 22, 2013
    The game has sick graphics, definitely one of the best looking games so far. The gameplay on the other hand is as repetitive as one of Lil Wayne's beats. It really starts to grind your gears when you do the same moves over and over again, after 1 hour of gameplay I was tired of it. I kept playing hoping they would change the pace and offer new experiences, but nope. They slap some turret action and formation sequences but they do not sweeten the deal. This aint no God Of War/Heavenly Sword/Bayonetta/Devil May cry game. This game has Playstation 1 core gameplay with new generation graphics. I used to think it was either Graphics or gameplay, then I played Uncharted 2, The Last Of Us, God Of War 3 and came to understand you can actually have both. Crytek needs to stick to FPS at least they use their talents well in that genre, not that their FPS games are revolutionary, but their graphics are always a new milestone. The animations,voice acting, and facial expressions are top notch tho. This game to me is more like a tech Demo of what the xbone can do. Expand
  40. Nov 27, 2013
    Pros: The game looks really good, and it was kind of neat to go into battle formation with other soldiers.

Cons: Repetitive, predictable, no challenge, only 10 stages.

It was a pretty big let down.
  41. Nov 22, 2013
    Ive read a lot of reviews saying this game is bad, but it isn't all bad. The only thing that I can admit it does wrong is the length of the game which I clocked in about 7 hours worth. The gameplay is amazing watching the executions never gets old, the story is good as well maybe not the best, but you tell its trying to be something different. I loved this game and i loved how it looked no matter where you are in it. A great first game on the xbox one. Don't judge it on the bad reviews try it for yourself and I'm pretty sure you'd love it as well. Expand
  42. Nov 22, 2013
    the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 ga
  43. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a wonderful game. Don't be fooled by the critics and the fanboys who don't have a XBox ONE or the game.

The Story is great and keep pushing you ahead through the chapters.

The gameplay is very good, you have to learn the perfect timming between block and counter attack. Sometimes you are surronded by various enemies, and have to apply the right strategy to get
    out alive.

The graphics are incredible, fantastic and you don't find, even in PC, other game so beautiful. Fantastic light effects and textures.
    The permance is very good, the slowdowns are absent.

Ryse: Son of Rome is one of the best games in this genre. The critis forget what fun is. And the fanboys... one day they will learn...
  44. Nov 23, 2013
    The Ryse reviews are too harsh in my opinion. The game is a little repetitive and the campaign is short, but there's a pretty solid persistence upgrade system and the combat increases in complexity throughout the game. It is similar to the Batman: Arkham games except for the QTE executions. Many enemies you can just attack with combinations of X and Y, sure, but certain enemies you have to "break" their guard first with Y; certain enemies have heavy or quick attacks and you have to "block" with A; "dodge" heavy attacks and roll with B; X is strike; hold X for heavy strike; hold Y for heavy "break" (necessary against more powerful enemies). Tap LT to throw a pila (ranged attack). RB brings up "focus" mode or something which is like every other game's bullet time. There are large enemies that you must dodge and get behind to attack, then other enemies you must block three times in a row before striking, and the list goes on. Boss fights conclude each main level.

All of this is layered on top of "choosing" which category of your character you want to get points in. There are four different categories, which you select with the d-pad. Choices are Health (the better timed the execution, the more health you regain); XP (better time executions more points for upgrades); Focus and Damage, both of which are pretty much pointless I'll admit. But it's still something else to think about during combat and eventaully you get good at performing one execution to restore health, then quickly swapping to XP for your next execution to go buy some upgrades. The last two are pretty much pointless I'll admit that.

As far as the executions, the sheer variety keeps them interesting, especially since they are often contextual based on the environment (kicking a guy off a ledge, using your shield to push a guy into a spike wall, and so on).

And obviously the best part of the game are the graphics, which are as good or better than anything on the other next-gen title right now. Although this is partially due to the fact that the camera is awfully zoomed in so the console doesn't have to render all that much, it is undeniably a stunning game.

Of course it's far from perfect. It breaks immersion when the game has you do a long execution (say, 2 X's and 2 Y's) while barbarians stand around and watch. There's also a series of testudo sequences where you have to guide your men through hails of arrows while counter throwing pilum which aren't that much fun, though they're obviously in there to break up the rest of the combat. And like all the reviews have said, for the variety of enemies, ways to attack, and executions, it can get repetitive. It is also weird that if you press the wrong button during executions, you still complete the execution but get less points. And the campaign is only 8 missions, which lasts 6-8 hours.

If you bought Xbox One and can get Ryse for less than $50, it's probably worth it. I haven't even tried MP yet but have enjoyed SP a great deal. It isn't a genre defining game or anything, but the visuals are there, gameplay is good, and the story is passable as well given strong voice acting and interesting cutscenes.
  45. Nov 23, 2013
    great graphics, nice cinematics, a dreat game for you to buy if you have a Xbox one is a must at this lauch time, its very violent, is not a game for kids
  46. Nov 23, 2013
    This is a beautifully crafted game. For those who criticise it due to it being a console game need to get out of their little shell and realise people don't game on PC's anymore and that they are the minority... That aside the game has a vast amount of different terrains and scenes that you can really love. The gameplay itself however is lacking at time repetitive. There is a lack of enemies and generally you face 5 types of enemies; 1 weapon, 2 weapons, sword and shield, mini boss (over size enemy) and boss. Generally there isn't a lot of variety and you don't really connect with the supporting cast. The multiplayer doesn't add much in terms of longitivtiy but I had fun playing the game. Now that I've played it through however, time to trade it in as I can't see myself picking this title up again. Expand
  47. Nov 24, 2013
    Why such the harsh reviews? This game is FAR from bad. The combat is engaging and rewarding. The graphics are top notch. The story is lacking as you'd expect from a new IP, but it's not bad at all. This game is not "on rails" like all of the reviewers say. Linear? Yes, with minor exploration. Much like most of the games out there. I didn't buy this for a sandbox open world. Worth the money in my opinion. I can't wait to go through on higher difficulty. Expand
  48. Nov 24, 2013
    Yes, the gameplay is repetitive, but would you say the same for Batman Arkham Series, Assassin's Creed? No? Probably... Still, you bash you hit, the fights are still the same in these games too after an hours or so. But you get some fun.
    Of course you don't have 200 000 weapons and gadgets with you, haaaaa... So that's what makes a gameplay? Well hello, Rome?
    No it's not the best
    gameplay, yes it's repetitive, does that make it a bad game? No

The graphics are an amazing showcase for what this console/Crytek abilities can do. They are simply the best graphics on all of the lineup games released.

The animations are great, staging is stunning, the story holds, and the co-op is just fun time.
    Disconnect your purist mind that thinks it better than everyone else, and just let it flow, you'll have a good time.
    I wont push it to the 10/9 or 8, but give these guys a chance to work on their gameplay, on extending the campaign, and you may get greatness.

Rome didn't build in one day...
  49. Nov 25, 2013
    I'm simply in awe by the amount of haters on this title.. Ryse: Son of Rome is one of my favorite games of all time. The ratings the game is getting is simply uncalled for and unwarranted. As for the people that call the game repetitive, there are only so many sword attacks and shield attacks in real life. The story is compelling and engaging.

I really appreciate the gritty, visceral
    experience that is associated with Ryse. Also the multiplayer arena system is great with the armor upgrades etc. Tons of fun, good COOP experience. I don't care what these jaded reviews say, this game is by far one of my favorite games of ALL TIME and I will continue to enjoy it.

Great work DEVS, don't let the haters get you down and I pray you continue to make games like this aside from the bullsh*t ratings.
  50. Nov 25, 2013
    Just like a lot of the other reviewers I see writing on this game below, I think it's getting bashed unfairly. I don't know what the negative reviewers were hoping to play but Ryse is a beautiful looking game that's incredibly fun to play. Yes, the combat is simple and maybe somewhat repetitive but I still love it. I played so much this past weekend my thumb started hurting and that hasn't happened to me with a game in many years. At times I've even yelled "Xbox Record That!" to show off an epic moment where I was having a blast and I never imagined wanting to use that feature of the XB1. If this game looks interesting to you just get it. Don't believe all the negative reviews, the game is a blast! Expand
  51. Nov 25, 2013
    There are a lot of really bipolar reviews for this game, and having played it, I have to say it's getting trashed unfairly. Ryse is a lot of fun. You have to be into the Hack-n-Slash sort of game, but if you are, it's a blast. Freakin' beautiful to look at; decent revenge story; B:A-style combat. All in all, a worthwhile investment for Xbox One owners.
  52. Nov 25, 2013
    I bought Forza 5 and dead rising 3 on launch day, I was hoping gamefly would ship me Ryse, it was not available so i ended up picking up Ryse over the weekend at Gamestop. WOW, glad I did that, one of the best looking games i have ever played. I have a high powered PC too, never played anything like this on my PC. The face animations are top notch. If you like games like Assassin's Creed and the Batman Arkham series you will enjoy the game play with Ryse. It can get repetitive, but you get different moves as the game progresses. Ignore the sony fanboys who have no lives and are giving this game zeros. I have played both systems and the Xbox one is the best by far. Expand
  53. Nov 26, 2013
    Probably the best looking next gen game so far. I understand that a lot of people are slating this because of the control system but honestly this is no more repetitive that and other hack and slash game. The game has a strong story that once completed left me wanting more. Crytek have done a great job with the game which should have received as lot more praise than most reviews have given it so far. Expand
  54. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is exactly what I wanted. Multiplayer is very fun as well and eliminates some of the repetition people are talking about. I didn't go into this game expecting it to change the world, I went in to have some simple fun and it delivers on all fronts and it looks beautiful while doing so. If your interested then pick it up because you already know by watching any gameplay what this game is like. Expand
  55. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse is an absolutely beautiful game that delivers viscerally satisfying combat and an excellent narrative with fleshed out characters. This is what the next generation of console gaming is all about.
  56. Nov 23, 2013
    game is too short to get boring like everyone says. the online is great fun competition. best looking game of next gen. combat is smooth. in game menu's are smooth. good story telling. the campaign is short so it you are just going for that and no multiplayer then rent this game.
  57. Nov 25, 2013
    This is my PERSONAL opinion, and I think everyone should play the game before judging it.

I was disappointed at early reviews myself and almost cancelled my pre-order. Went ahead and jumped in and have really enjoyed the game. The story could be better, but it is good and somewhat deep if you really break it down.

The game play does have a few quirks about it, but once you iron
    those out (or get used to them) it's a lot of fun. Caring it into the co-op with a friend is even better. Hopefully a sequel or another game follows this in a few years, because I would love to see the improvements.

Remember it was publicly announced that this game was a planned 360 game originally, then they changed it mid-development. So seeing what they can do with the goal in mind of being on the XBOX One to start will be awesome.
  58. Nov 25, 2013
    This game is awesome. The reviewers have no idead what they are talking about. Awesome graphics, story and gameplay. The combat works better than any other game.
  59. Nov 23, 2013
    If you love games with gore and dismemberment you will love this game!
    the game confused me at first but by the end they did a really nice job piecing the story together. the combat reminds me of assassins creed with having to time blocking and attacks, but with much more gore ).
    pros:
    -difficult enemies (my personal opinoin i like hard games so it adds replayability)
    -beautiful
    exicutions
    -solid combat system
    -keeps a steady framerate for almost all the time
    - facial features and graphics are insane
    -very graphic ending

cons:
    -i found the boss fights kind of easy (but has awesome cutscenes)
    -war elephants could've been cooler
    -i could see it being repetitive after multiple playthroughs
    -shortish campaign (took me about 10 hours)

the game is definitely worth playing and beating. i havent tried the multiplayer yet but now i beat the game im gonna try it. i dont understand the low ratings when this game doesnt get any glitches and feels underated it feels polished and finished but i hope for some type of sequel!
  60. Nov 23, 2013
    I had a great time playing this game. It looks absolutely beautiful, I enjoyed it's story and while I can see how the combat might get somewhat repetitive for me the whole time I was playing it was still fun and didn't get old even as I got to the end of the game.
  61. Nov 23, 2013
    So I've played it for about 14 hours now and i really like it! The graphics are very good (by my high end pc standards). The gameplay is fun but too easy. The finishers look awesome! The multiplayer is a nice coop experience though also too easy (hopefully the challenge editor will change that). The only flaw im my opinion is that its a bit short on content. More enemy types and multiplayer modes would have been nice. Expand
  62. Nov 24, 2013
    Just finished the campaign. I thought it was great! Amazing graphics, excellent voice work, and I actually liked the gameplay too. Yes, it repeats itself, but amp up the difficulty, work on chaining combos, and perfect your double executions--there is plenty of strategy and variety. Highly recommend.
  63. Nov 24, 2013
    Excellent! I went in with low expectations from all the reviews here on Metacritic and by the end of the game I was flabbergasted! The graphics are STUNNING! The combat, while simplistic and repetitive, is brutal and brings a huge grin to my face, even after hours of play and late into the game. Story line is sufficient. Integration of voice commands is smooth, effective, and unintrusive. Gives me huge hope for the future of XBox One gaming. No way this game deserves to be in the low 60's on average and absolutely no excuse for so many red-level reviews. Expand
  64. Nov 24, 2013
    We can all agree that the story and visuals are great (seriously, both are very top-notch). The one thing there is a lot of disagreement on is gameplay. You either love it (like me) or you hate it. I didn't think I'd like it after seeing a lot of bad reviews. But now that I've beaten the game and replayed a few levels, I'm really loving it. It was such an awesome feeling setting up double-executions or perfectly dispatching a circle of 6 barbarians or getting the hit multiplier up to over 50.

The best way to describe combat is a mix between Arkham City and Guitar Hero (you'll know what I mean if you give it a try). It's all about timing. The better you get the timing down, the more flawless you'll fight and the more points you'll rack up to unlock new attributes. Plus throw in quite a few different enemy types and you'll find yourself strategizing each block and execution move. Its an addictive fighting system.

My recommendation to those gamers who are really on the fence about buying this game is to go to YouTube and watch gameplay footage. There is already a lot of footage out there from others in the gaming community. Watch a few minutes of in-game fights. If you think you like what you see, try it. If you get bored after just a few minutes, then you should probably steer clear of this game.
  65. Nov 25, 2013
    Seriously, what do people expect from a game?? This is a launch game for the Xbox One and an experience i will never forget. Imagine you are the main character in Gladiator or 300. You are in your own blockbuster. This is a showcase for what the Xbox One can offer and i was so impressed. Why does every game need to be so complicated that you just cant enjoy it for what it is?

The combat
    relies on parrying your opponents then countering with your sword or shield charging and then finishing your foe with the most amazing executions that never gets boring. During these combos, you switch to what you can gain per execution, whether it be health/damage/focus/XP. Combat never got dull for me because the battles were so epic, the scale was huge and just alot of fun.

For a launch game that can showcase what the Xbox One has to offer, this game blew me away. This is what launch games should be about, and a must recommend if you are a fan of Gladiator or 300 or Greek/Roman history.
  66. Nov 25, 2013
    Overall: 8
    Gameplay: 7.5
    Story: 7
    Visual: 9.5

Analysis: This game is worth picking up for the X1. It might not take you forever to get thru the single-player, but you'll sure enjoy the time it does take.
  67. Nov 25, 2013
    With all the ugly reviews, I came so close to blowing this game off. But, that would have been a huge mistake. Ryse and Dead Rising have turned out to be the games I'm playing non-stop. Ryse is an sh1t-ton of fun. Don't try to read too much into it. It's an unapologetic kick-in-the pants Slashville game. Ever wondered what the cross-section of a dude's arm looks like? Look no further. I Venus-de-Milo'd more barbarians than I know what to do with. Play this game! Expand
  68. Nov 25, 2013
    Ryse is quite an astounding game that brings great graphics, music, and story together to create an awe inspiring game. The gameplay is however a drag in the middle of the game. I noticed at the end though all the different variety of opponents that you faced in the game earlier come together to create a challenging task. My real score for the game is 8.3/10 but am putting the score up to combat the Sony Ponies that are hampering down a game they have never played. Expand
  69. Nov 26, 2013
    Honestly, it's no game of the year, but it's an absolutely beautiful and an all round great launch title for the Xbox One. The story is engaging and although the fighting mechanics may feel repetitive at times, I always felt challenged throughout the game; which isn't that often these days. It's definitely worth a play, I didn't regret it one bit.
  70. Nov 23, 2013
    I picked this up on launch night and am really enjoying it. It looks amazing, I have had my breath taken away many times. Its the sort of game that reminds me of playing in the arcades 20 years ago, you dont want to sit down for hours on end with it, just dip in for 1/2 hour sessions, play it on a high difficulty setting and you'll have fun hacking and slashing your way across Britain!
  71. Nov 24, 2013
    Gorgeous game, would have been a 10 had it been longer. The combat is very fun in my opinion. To each their own i suppose, it is definitely worth a buy in my book.
  72. Nov 28, 2013
    Very good, entertaining, amazing graphics, gameplay mechanics and story, it is a very interesting and addicting story and whilst the gameplay can get just a bit boring at times, it is a very good for the most part, nothing to fault with this game really, I just kept wanting more. It's a shame that people who can't get it on their console have to be so disrespectful to the people that made this incredible game... Expand
  73. Dec 7, 2013
    A below average game with boring gameplay awful QTE events that go on even if you fail to push the button and abysmal combat system. The historycal accuracy is nonexistant and the game is nothing more than a tech demo made to show how shiny things can be on the new xbone.
  74. Nov 26, 2013
    Personally I don't understand the hate being generated towards this amazing game. The game play is challenging and is not repetitive. I can't understand why a game that has the same combat mechanics of the Batman Arkham series and Assasins Creed would score so low. Great great game don't believe the misinformation being spread to the contrary.
  75. Nov 25, 2013
    I bought this game through Amazon because I had some amazon gift cards that I hadn't used. I bought it that way because I didn't want to actually buy it because of the bad reviews. After playing it, I'm surprised it got such bad reviews. This game is a lot of fun. It's a beautiful game and the gameplay and story are great.
  76. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse: Son Of Rome may have its repetitive sword fights, but Crytek delivers us a brief look at some history in a beautiful world, a truly stunning game at the launch of next generation of Xbox.
  77. Nov 23, 2013
    Really enjoyed my time and the game. Sure it might be repetitive this is a beat them all, but learn how to play it and you'll spend definitely a good time. Next time a little bit longer story mode will make it 9.
  78. Nov 23, 2013
    I don't get the hate.i really enjoy this game.its a hack n slash not rpg.so I'm fine without major depth.it was fun.didnt feel repetitive. No worse than the goons in an arkham game anyway.sure it's linear but no more than devil my cry and those are good games.i read reviews that you are attacked by enemies one at a time but this never happened.maybe in easy mode it does.didnt check.and the counter system is akin to arkham and that game also counters hits even if they're a hair away and no one complained .Every game doesn't need major deep character development. Sometimes it's just fun to stab dudes dressed like a roman.i play a lot of games and have played much worse games with better reviews.this game was a lot of fun. Expand
  79. Nov 24, 2013
    I really don't see why everyone is having such problems with this game.. it really deserves more than a 60.. It looks amazing, gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but its gruesome and actually fun..
  80. Nov 24, 2013
    IGNORE 1.0 scores. They are kids or Sony fans obviously.

Contrary to popular opinions, this games combat system is incredibly fun and has a hidden value to it that only time can discover; like deflecting an arrow with my shield and watching that arrow ricocheting into an enemies stomach. Folks there's much to be learned and enjoyed about this games combat system. There's strong attacks
    which causes you to lung at opponents to strike with sword or shield, there's normal shield bash and sword strikes, rolling, blocking, etc. Each attack can be cancelled at any time to escape into a roll like as if you were faking your opponent out; you must learn to finesse. You can lure enemies into traps in the gladiator arena. The scenery in the gladiator arena is constantly shifting and adding new options for entertaining the crowd with combat. You can time the quick time events or skip them all together, you can time them to get double kill finishers or even to kick someone into a fire pit. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS GAME GOT LOW REVIEWS. I Absolutely disagree. I suppose some people just don't know the beauty of this game because they didn't try it long enough to figure out how deep the fighting system is. Once you learn how to really fight and use your environments, it gets so fun and has a ton of replay value. This game also serves as an incredible foundation for what's to come. Imagine a sequel! 9.0 all the way. 1 point off for things like no offline multiplayer. Expand
  81. Nov 24, 2013
    Again don't listen to jaded reviewers or the haters. This game is fun has a great story and on the difficulty level I am playing on has fun challenging combat. And it is absolutely GORGEOUS! I went to an EB Games to pick it up and the two boneheads behind the counter actually tried to talk me out of buying it (even though neither of them had played it!). Thank goodness I didn't listen to them. I LOVE this game! Expand
  82. Nov 25, 2013
    This is a fun hack-and-slash. The combat is clearly inspired by Batman:Arkham it relies more on timing, counters and combos than button-mashing and roll-dodging. This makes it feel sort of like a long series of QTEs, so if that's not your cup of tea, so be it. I don't think it deserves the slew of negative reviews; the game clearly has a vision and executes it well, though I think a few small changes would have made that vision a lot more clear, and possibly more fun for some of the haters. For instance, in Batman games, the action speeds up as a combo continues and you enter flow mode; in Ryse, on the other hand, combos continue at the same somewhat plodding pace, interrupted by even slower execution QTEs. And the plethora of currency systems and scores is impossible to fathom, especially in the middle of combat where you end up having no good visual feedback about how well you're performing even though the information is there, it's in words like "Soldier Execution!" which would have worked better as stars or icons or noises or, well, just about anything. The campaign story is well acted I am amazed at how lifelike the performance capture is and feels like a B-movie ripoff mashup of Gladiator (2000) and Clash Of The Titans (1981) which means that compared to most video game stories it's Moby Dick. Expand
  83. Nov 26, 2013
    I would normally give this game an 8 because of the lack of enemy types and weapons, but see so many sony fan boys on here that have nothing better to do than give X1 games low scores so had to give it 10. Seriously? Look at the history of the losers who give this game a low score and you'll see that they give every X1 game a 0~3and then they give average PS4 games like killzone a 10. If Killzone is so good then why did they buy X1 a week later and 3~4 games that they hate? Also how did they have time to play that many games in 5 days? The moderators should clear out their obvious attempts to sabotage X1 user reviews to maintain this site's integrity. Expand
  84. Nov 26, 2013
    Visuals alone give it at least a 6. but I really enjoyed playing Ryse: Son of Rome, come on how do you not enjoy slicing peoples arms and legs off. I thought the story so really good, could of given you more of whats going on but a good start.
    The reason I only give it a 9 is the harder AI's really only do one more over and over and it get annoying and repetitive. But, i never got tired
    of finishing moves they were pretty sweet

A really good title launch and i hope we see another one
  85. Nov 27, 2013
    This game was awesome. the Campaign was fun but short however worth a second play thru on legendary the online co-op is good as well letting you step into the gladiator areas and level up your gear and special attacks. my favorite of the next gen games so far and I have both PS4 and Xbox One.
  86. Nov 27, 2013
    I've read many of the reviews for this game, about the game being to repetitive, or lacking game play, none of which is true. This game is a visual feast and a great edition to the launch lineup of Xbox one. I have to scratch my head to think what these reviewers were expecting, maybe call or duty or something else, the great is game for what it is a showcase of the Xbox one. Great story, graphics, my only complaint is the length of the game should have been at least 8-10 hours instead its more like 6. Buy the game you will not regret it, worth every penny. Expand
  87. Nov 28, 2013
    My actual score for this game would be an 8-8.5 based on what was achieved for a launch title. Launch titles are never great, they suffer from short dev cycles incapable of taking full advantage of what the system is capable of. I'm giving it a 10 due to the jack-holes rating it a 0 because they are Sony fan boys. Click the names and look at the past submissions to see what I mean. I can't think of a single game that deserves a 0, so it's ludicrous to see it for a game that deserves a 6 on graphics alone.

The graphics are absolutely stunning! One of the few games to make you believe it's on a next-gen system. Really harnesses the power of the Crytek engine which shows off it's spectacular lighting engine. The game is a hack n slash. Repetition is fully expected here. And you can keep repeating the same thing over and over, if you like. But you have options here. You level up your hero with various skills and feats. Customize your combos to put on a dazzling display of swordsmanship. The QTE is controlled by the user! So for those complaining about how many QTE there are. Quit doing them! They trigger when you decide to execute an NPC. While the game doesn't break any new grounds in terms of gameplay, the gameplay is still solid. A nice combat system with customization and optional play styles. Easily one of the best launch titles available. Forza looks great and plays like Forza. But was stripped of all of its content. For something fresh and on the heels of what's hot today (Spartacus, 300, Rome) Ryse delivers a gorgeous, yet visceral play experience set in ancient Rome.
  88. Nov 29, 2013
    I have mixed feelings for this game. I neither a good game, nor is it a bad game. This is what I thought about it after finishing the game.
    Story 6/10
    Its your typical Revenge story. Marius goes out to avenge the death of his family, vengeance is finally made, yada yada yada. You get the picture. Its a pretty good story though, but it will get forgettable after time.
    Graphics 10/10

This is by far the most beautiful looking games I have ever played (2nd best to KZ SF that is). Combat is fluid, animations are smooth, and texture quality is perfect. A game that looks this great shows a good future for the X1.
    Gameplay 7/10
    Its your basic hack 'n slash game. Combat is actually pretty fun, but do to the lack of enemy variety leads to repetition. You;ll quickly find yourself fighting the same enemies over and over again. Executions are cool, but are all done using QTEs, which is disappointing.
    Online 5/10
    The online portion of the game isn't so successful. Its basically played the same way the SP is played only with another player. The changing arena helps change up the gameplay, but ultimately, you still do the same thing over and over again in each area.
    Verdict 6/10
    Ryse: Son of Rome may be the best looking game on the X1, but a forgettable story, repetitive gameplay, and a lackluster online portion, makes this another sword fighting game we've pretty much already seen before.
  89. Nov 27, 2013
    I really don't know why all the "professional" reviewers are being so harsh on this game. I just completed it and had a blast doing so. First of all gorgeous, GORGEOUS game. I mean really breathtaking. One of the best if not THE best looking game I have seen. Sound-wise is great too, voice acting is very natural, music is epic and appropriately atmospheric. Story is not the greatest I've seen but it's not bad either. It's there to keep you moving forward and give you purpose and it does it's job. Combat system can be a bit repetitive but not more-so than in any other game from this genre and it's very meaty and "powerfull". You can feel the impact and momentum behind your strikes and executions (of which there are LOTS but you need to unlock them as you level up) make you feel like a real badass. Don't make the mistake I made where after leveling up I was only improving my attributes at the beginning only to find out much later on that you can unlock new executions as well:).
    The game is quite easy so if you want a challenge go for a higher difficulty straight away. It's also not very long (not too short either mind you just slightly below average I'd say) so upping the difficulty will squeeze some more time out of this title. There is multi-player but it's nothing too memorable. You'll play for a couple of hours (a couple more if you have a good buddy with you) and you'll be done with it. It's certainly not a game that will make you come back and play for hours on end.
    You have to consider if paying full price for a game you finish in 8-10 (maybe up to 15 if you find multi-player enjoyable) hours is something you can afford. If yes then you will probably have good time with it (I certainly did), but if not you can easily wait for a bargain later on. I bet in 6 months time this will still look just as good and for half the price this already good game should be even better:)
  90. Nov 26, 2013
    Ryse looks really good on the outside but what is found inside is a shallow attempt at making a hack n slash game, without that much SELF attempt at hacking or slashing. Ryse Son of QTE is too short, too repetitive, has lazy enemies and enemy design, bosses pffft what bosses, no progression, story. Yeah not the best of starts for the XBONE.
  91. Nov 27, 2013
    Just finished the campaign, and I had a lot of fun. Interesting story, beautiful graphics, and fun (if repetitive) combat carried me through the story. Absolutely recommended for any new xbox one owner.
  92. Nov 27, 2013
    I'm an ex-PS player which played Ryse for the first time.

This game is insane. It is strongly addictive.

The visuals are stunning, the graphics are insane.

The story is fantastic, Combat options are very good and it is not complex.
  93. Jan 2, 2014
    I just finished the campaign in Ryse a couple hours ago and I don't really understand all the hate this game is getting. The only reason I can see people giving it a one is if they are trolls or just feel let down as they expected more. I was expecting a broken/boring game based on the reviews I'd read here but it really hooked me and surprised me just how fun the game was. Straight forward, linear but fun and as others have said it looks amazing. I didn't have a single bug, a single bad camera angle or a single moment that looked glitched or anything, would have been a top game if they had of added some more depth to it and fleshed out the combat system more (although it works well later on in the game)

Ryse is a well made tight hack n slash game. People expecting depth and choices should look elsewhere, people who've enjoyed other hack n slash games in the past will enjoy Ryse. It's quick and simple to get in to but gets more difficult towards the end when you actually need to time your attacks and work out when it's best to use heavy attacks and pushes.

For me Ryse was a fun 10 hours and felt like an updated version of the old hack and slash games I play on my mame cabinet, I'm not entirely sure it's worth full retail price as I don't know how much playability it will hold but it is far from a bad game and is very enjoyable.

I do wish there was more of a penalty when you missed the quick times though, but some people are also missing the fact that to get the max xp from a proper timed hit you need to actually predict which button to press based on the way Marius is moving his body rather than just pushing the blue colour or yellow colour, a lot of people seem to have completely missed this and I wish the game made it more rewarding and obvious that you should be predicting based on if he is moving his sword arm or shield arm.
  94. Nov 28, 2013
    Way better than the anti-hype run up the internet boards would have you believe. I honestly bought it thinking it was going to be kinda crappy but figured it was launch and graphically it looked awesome so I'd get over it. I was pleasantly surprised that not only was the game not crappy but I ended up having a lot of fun with it.
  95. Nov 24, 2013
    Absolutely awesome game. Combat is simple to start and a bit of a challenge to master. Definitely worth the $60 I spent on it.

Single player length was short, but it had a great story. Much better than the cod single player campaigns.

The multiplayer is basic, but a lot of fun, especially with a friend. Setting up cool finishing moves and ranking up your character for gear leads
    to hours of fun. I'll probably sink a good 30+ hours into the game. That makes it well worth the money for me. Expand
  96. Nov 23, 2013
    Gameplay is repetitive and shallow as hell, However, its somehow enjoyable because of its fantastic production value save it from being a plain bad game.
  97. Nov 30, 2013
    From what I can tell from reviews here there are a lot of Sony or MS fanboys trying to fight their stupid side of the "console war," or PC fans who are unhappy about Crytek's focus on console starting with Crysis 2. This game is no The Last of Us, Bioshock, God of War, etc, but it's also not as bad as many claim either.
    Obvious bit first: this game is drop dead gorgeous. I really don't
    think that can be overstated. The combat is not that deep, which is frustrating because it would have been nice to expand your moveset as the game progressed, but it's not endlessly mashing X to Jason either, at least not if you play on higher than recruit difficulty. The game is short at around 5-6 hours long, it's mostly a hack and slash corridor title, and the story is pretty predictable. That said it's also somewhat of an enjoyable story. Nothing mind blowing and not exactly historically accurate, but a good "dumb action flick" with Centurions, barbarians, and some impressive atmosphere and setpieces. I bought this game with the sole purpose of delighting in the visuals, and was fully expecting to be bored stiff after reading all of the reviews out there, but I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed the experience.
    If you want to show off the fancy shininess of your new console, or if you just like simple straight forward hack-n-slash this is a good title for it.
    Note: I haven't checked out the multiplayer, so I can't give an opinion on that facet.
  98. Nov 26, 2013
    Makes use of the XBox One's capability and as a game its a fun melee combat game with a fun and engaging campaign. Its not for everyone but is something I am enjoying and really love the Romanesque story telling and the voice acting in the campaign is very well done.

Its not an earth shattering innovative game but it does not get repetitive as for me as other as complaining about.

The idea of "buying gold" to get skills in the campaign strikes me as a bit silly and I don't really care for that. Hopefully that is not available for acquiring the multiplayer skills. I look forward to jumping into the multiplayer but that was not my main motivation for purchasing this game.

My main issues have more to do with the XB One and the time it took to DL the patch and then install the game.
  99. Dec 17, 2013
    My first impressions of this game was anything but good. The characters, the story, the linear gameplay. Apart from the fantastic looks and the delightful violence, this game seemed to totally iss the target. But I paid for it, so I continued playing. After the first sequence, which is more like a tutorial-session that sets the base of the story, this game really takes a turn for the better. The fighting, which seemed easy and dull, quickly turns into challenging and fun

gameplay. The acting and story, which seemed just lame, all of a sudden becomes really good. I even tried the

kinect-part, where you can give orders to your soldiers by shouting them; it is a LOT faster than holding LB, and at

higher difficulties you need the edge. The giving orders part is not a big part of the game, by the way.

The fighting can almost be compared to Assassins Creed, but it is a lot less forgiving. Ryse is all about timing and situational awareness, the reward for a perfect combo or a double execution makes you really want to master it. Cutting off limbs, crushing heads, impaling and shield smashing. I rarely enjoyed it more. Boy was I wrong about this game.

Multiplayer is gladiator 2 player coop against waves of enemies. Great fun. Win fights, buy better gear and fight on. I can't how long this game will last, but right now it's bang for the buck. A lot more than I'd expect from Crytec.
  100. Nov 23, 2013
    I enjoyed the game. It's not groundbreaking or anything by any means. It's visually stunning, the gameplay works very well, but it is repetitive. They definitely haven't tried to push boundaries on that part, but if it ain't broke don't fix it, right? All in all, a bug free enjoyable visually stunning gaming experience. PS: I do my best to avoid reading '1s' and '10s' as both scores are utterly entirely ridiculous. Expand

1. Sep 8, 2014
    Ryse is a bit of a marmite game, if you are looking for a great gaming experience that takes forever to perfect then Ryse is not for you. If you are interested in a Roman interactive movie with a solid story line then I’d say give it a shot.
    Beautiful but stale, boring, shallow and lacking in variation.
  3. Sep 4, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a really good looking game, but at the same time incredible stupid. Thanks to the graphics and the amount of brutal combat the adventure managed to entertain, at least for a bit. If you find Ryse on sale it can be worth a closer look, but for a full price game it’s a disappointment.