5.8

1. Nov 26, 2013
    Dead Rising 3 is insane fun. Building crazy weapons and wiping out the zombie hordes is extremely addicting. Tons of side missions and good boss fights keep you playing. Just starting my 2nd play through so I can get the Megaman Suit. Yes, I said Megaman. The thought of getting the suit and Megablaster and wiping out zombies as Megaman puts a smile on my face.
  2. Nov 27, 2013
    Very nice game as a Launch title for the next gen consoles. I don't get why that many People say bad things about it, that's what you get of an hack&slay. Love it!
  3. LGK
    Nov 27, 2013
    Dont listen to the negative reviews. its awful when you look at "all of their reviews" and they have done nothing but bash xbox titles and praise sony titles. This game is gorgeous and fun to play. The combat system is akin to batman which was praised for its fighting sequences. Best looking game on x1 and possibly ps4. I had to make an account to let people know that this game is what you make of it much like god of war. It will get boring if you mash your way through it and don't try to max out your combos. But. Take the time to learn the nuances and this game is awesome. Me and my friend have played the multiplier alone for over 20 hours. Give it a try, its worth it. Expand
  4. Nov 27, 2013
    bad game and very short i don't think that crytec should do eny game eny more and stay with their engine.i didn't see that vomming with all of the hype
  5. Dec 2, 2013
    What's with all the hate? I had low expectations for a fighting game made by Crytek, who in my opinion have always fallen well short on the gameplay front, but I had some fun with this game. The combat isn't especially deep, but it works well. I had fun just flying around the screen mixing up attacks and multi-character executions. I thought the execution mechanic coupled with d-pad selection of bonus types was rather elegant. and the "look & feel" of the combat is excellent cameras, contextual executions, sounds and gore all presented really well. The entire game, in fact, is incredibly beautiful. Audio and visual art direction both felt careful crafted throughout the experience. Characters and dialog were reasonably solid, and the story was interesting enough to keep my playing. It was as bold move for Crytek to leave their safe zone of shooters, and it's worth some praise.

If you're looking for an entertaining story-driven single player experience with eye-popping visuals, a pretty solid story, and brutal albeit simplistic combat, Ryse is definitely worth checking out.

Solid 7, 7.5 from me.

To give this game a 1 is indicative of the overall internet crybaby/fanboy facebook attitude of overreacting to everything either 100% OMG CITIZEN CANE OF VIDEO GAMES!1!!, or 0% COMPLETE GARBAGE OMGWTF.
  6. K2D
    Dec 4, 2013
    This is good looking, boring, tech-demo. The first five minutes you'll be blown away by the grapics. After that you'll a have a tedius, monotone workday ahead of you in the shoes of a roman soldier. Welcome to the butchers.
  7. Dec 8, 2013
    Ryse: Son Of Rome is a game that is quite well done but lacks some features that are integral to a story driven hack and slash. There isn't a lot of innovation when it comes to a Hack and Slash title but you'll find that Ryse combat system is quite dull and repetitive and quickly wears the player out within your first hour of play. Enemies become increasingly predictable in the way that they fight the longer you play it and your own combat style is very limited to a parry, slash, bash and execution. The VO is another aspect of this game I think fell short. From the beginning I was confused and puzzled by the VO in the sense that most of the voices sound very similar if not the same. Regardless of the negatives this game delivered on some key features. The game looks gorgeous and is without a doubt one of the best looking launch titles from either company. The story is intense and well done with a predictable first half of a story matched with an interesting and different second half. The dialogue I thought was well written to create some truly intense moments but was really undersold by the VO. I would recommend this game to a certain type of person. Expand
  8. Dec 9, 2013
    In short, Ryse Son of Rome is baisicly a tech demo of how good the Xbox One can preform graphicly. And trust me, this game looks damn good! Cyrtek have done a fantastic job of creating lush enviroments. The forests inpaticualer are amazing. However, Ryse doesn't do so well in the gameplay department. It baisicly comes down to generic button mashing, and despite it being extremely flashey, it just doesn't have any substance and ends up being shallow, repetitive and boring. COME ON!!! This is next gen!!! We want and demand fresh new ideas, not just graphics. The game is also way to easy, taking me around six hours to complete. There are sections in the game that go away from the hack and slash, but again these are generic, boring and shallow. The one good thing about the combat is how fast and fluid it is, and how good and detailed the enemy( in fact all character models in the game are brilliant) character models look. One positive thing I can say about Ryse is how spectacualer the story is. I was genuinely surprised. At the E3 demo, I thought that Ryse was going to be a generic hack and slash with a cliché story, and while on gameplay terms that's true, the story is the complete opposite. Its handelled with care, and has some top notch voice acting. The story never feels disorientate, even in the constant flashbacks. Last we have the two player multiplayer, which can be dynamic, but ultimately ends up being( again) generic and boring. Its a shame, because Ryse could have been so much more if only the gameplay was on par with all the other aspects of the game. Expand
  9. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the most uninspired games I've played, it was like watching a turd in HD. 5 minutes in and I'm bored with the endless and repetitive combat. If we're meant to mash buttons for hours at least make the combat system interesting.. They took one of the most interesting topics from our history (Rome) and turned it into a bare bones pedestrian story (using emperor Calligula no less, one of the most messed up emperors Rome's seen). 8 in graphics but zero in game play and imagination. Worst first game ever for a console. Expand
  10. Jan 1, 2014
    I read the reviews before I started playing this game and I think that they are giving to this game a lower scored that it deserves. This game has outstanding graphics and it's really enjoyable to play. Besides the story it's really good.
  11. Jan 2, 2014
    I think that this game is the most underrated game on next-gen so far. The graphics are amazing, and maybe the best of all lauch titles for both consoles.

The story is not perfect, but it is really good! I have seen a lot of people complaining about repetitive gameplay, but it is not. Of course, it could be better, but it is good! Batman did the same and no one complained.

I think
    the cons in this game are the short campaign (about 6 or 7 hours, maybe) and the lack of variety of weapons.
    Multiplayer is great and really fun, and should add some hour of replayabilty for the game.
  12. Jan 7, 2014
    Ryse is underscored. It's really short, it's true, but on gaming history there have been other titles which were short as well and could be as well pointed as repetitive. Those games received more score and sometimes it was attached to its visuals (first Assassin's Creed for example). Ok, we can't compare AC to Ryse, but overall what I mean is that any user will be surprised with Ryse in-game graphics (be aware of overscan features on tv's they crap the experience!), and its gameplay yeah, falls a bit short, but it mantains the strenght of the combats and the combo feature.

Also, after the campaign you can re-make it again in a higher dificulty level or play the arena mode, which has quite load of options (and will have more eventually), and really adds hours to the game itself.

I think it's a good game, almost a must-have except for some things which are really bad (as for example "hidden" things which aren't really "hidded" (you've got to be dumb if you don't find any of them)). But it doesn't deserves the score given by most magazines. I've played more booring games with more scores on them.
  13. Mar 19, 2014
    So terrible. The combat is repetitive, and the storyline is generic. One of the worst launch titles ever. The only thing this game had for it was the graphics, in which the character models look terrible except maybe one.
  14. Jan 8, 2014
    After spending about 10 hours between the campaign and the Co-Op portions of Ryse: Son of Rome, I've realized something some people don't know how to rate titles. The lack of objectivity and reason go out the window with a lot of people that decide to rate games. That being said, Ryse is absolutely an awesome game. It's drop-dead gorgeous, extremely cinematic, and carries an engaging storyline that definitely unfolds nicely as you progress. Combat is a bit rudimentary but it isn't overly boring. Skill progression systems are present but super linear, making you wonder why they put all the effort into developing it if there wasn't any true diversity to the system. Many levels are breathtaking, making me stop at times to just see what an achievement Crytek has on their hands. It's just unfortunate that these levels tend to be overly guided which removes from any adventuring a player might want to experience. The Co-Op is more fun than I anticipated, with a tiered system that will allow you to scale up your "gladiator" as you build up experience, gear, and expertise with the levels themselves. However I'm not certain everyone that tries it out will be in love with it as it feels a bit repetitive at times so the fun could be fairly well sapped with just a few hours of play. That will be up to you to decide should you give Ryse a go. I would easily recommend the game, but I would also say to Crytek and Microsoft Game Studios that they have a real gem on their hands one that would be served better if they had borrowed more from games that obviously inspired the final product here. Fable, Gears of War, Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3 all show themselves in their own way throughout. If I had to offer just one piece of advice to Crytek, it would be "add depth". Adding depth to the world you play through, adding depth to your character customization and development, adding depth to the characters themselves as the grow. Making a character feel like your own is one thing that keeps games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars afloat with dedicated fan bases. Ryse is an unfinished game of the year candidate. I for one hope this is the start of a continuing franchise. Expand
  15. Nov 30, 2013
    Ryse Son of Rome has a good history, amazing graphics and physics, you can really see the emotions on the characters, the combat is fun and rewarding, has a leveling system, you can upgrade your character, i love this game.
  16. Dec 3, 2013
    Is this the best game made? No. However, it also is not the worst game made. I love how people complain it is repetitive. EVERY game made is repetitive, including MMOs. The fights feel like they were going for a Batman: Arkham (et al) feel to them and they were able to get the fluid part down.

This game was made with eye candy in mind. The scenery and environments were incredible.
    The people's expressions and body movements were really good as well. The details that you can see make you want to stop and just look around. It is a really good launch title that shows off what next gen is going to be like (and from here it will only get better). The atmosphere from the sounds were incredible as well. They also had top notch voice acting (when there was actually speaking).

Do I wish there was more to the game? A little. I wish they would have fleshed the story out a little more, it was pretty good but it seems to be a little short.

This game is kind of like Knack in that people are either going to hate it or they will really enjoy it.
  17. Nov 25, 2013
    To give this game anything less than a 7 (or 70) is a crime. It's beautiful seriously. I just completed the campaign and then threw in Assassin's Creed Black Flag and was astonished at the difference between graphical quality. Yes, the moves in Ryse can get repetitive but what do you expect from a hack n' slash type game?

It's got a story that rivals a Hollywood Blockbuster, and
    seriously it is graphically stunning. I found myself slowing down and walking around astonished at how beautiful it was. That isn't the only reason to play the game though, aside from the same moves and the QTE executions I found the game play fun. I like hack n' slash games so I understood what I was getting and found it enjoyable. The only thing I wish they would have had more variety in was the executions. I'm okay with QTE's now and again, but they did get repetitive towards the middle and end. Repetitiveness aside, they still looked amazing when it would down time, speed it up, hack off an arm and then face smash them with your shield.

For anyone who is on here saying it looks great and amazing but then gives it a 1-4 because of the game play it's sad. Scores for a game like this don't deserve to be dragged down by those who don't understand what they are getting.

If you like hack n' slash games and want to play one with a solid story and see what the next gen Xbox is capable of right now pick this up.
  18. Jan 6, 2014
    The graphics are great, the story is good enough. I am not sure why everyone is saying the game play is boring and repetitive. I find this no more repetitive than any third-person action game. If you like games like Uncharted, you shouldn't really find this boring.

I feel like the story could be longer, and the worlds more open. It is pretty easy to find all of the extras hidden
    within the level. Not much replay value here, but if you can rent and play it all in a few days, or get a good deal on a price drop, check it out. Expand
  19. Dec 3, 2013
    Ryse is a wonderful example of what a next gen game should look like and you will be hard pressed to find anything that will show off what this new generation of games will start to look like, better than this! Now that I have stated that fact let me just point out that this game doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. Right from the start it gets right down to the business of hack and slash. There isn't anything wrong with this either. Sometimes its nice to have a simple game that looks phenomenal and has smooth fluid game play. I have read a lot of reviews with people trying to wax philosophical about this game and its shortcomings. The reality is there isn't anything like this to compare it to on Xbox. So just ignore that noise! The reality is you get what you see with Ryse and if you realize exactly what this game is before you play you will not be disappointed! I have had an absolute blast so far with its uncomplicated, beautiful and brutal combat. I am generally a hardcore RPG player but this game really is hard to ignore! Do yourself a favor and pick it up! Expand
  20. Apr 5, 2014
    Merda delle merde putridume del putridume................................................................................................................
  21. Jun 14, 2014
    The more I play Ryse: Son of Rome, the more I loathe its stupidity, its love of gory violence like it's something cool, and stupid map layouts. "Kill the barbarians" seems to be the only mission.
  22. Dec 27, 2013
    The graphic is amazing. Cinematic story is sick. And the multiplayer is surprisingly fun. Wish there were more varieties of enemies though. i would definitely buy a sequel
  23. Nov 26, 2013
    Honestly? I feel Ryse has gotten some poor reviewing. I feel that the reviewers didn't look deep enough into the game to see that its a game of brutality from back in the Roman Empire. The combat that Crytek gave us is more than enough! This isn't God of War which also is a very repetitive hack and slash game. God of War is also very linear and predictable. It does have puzzles and a better story sure. I think Ryse is perfect for a launch title, especially a 3rd person action game which is normally on sony consoles. The graphics are amazing and showcase the early stages of what the Xbox One can do. The combat is perfect! Yes, you constantly come up to barbarians over and over again but its still fun to pull off your own combos and executions. There's no magic in the game but why would there be? The focus is perfect! Having Marius go berserk for a few seconds is a cool way too off tough enemies. The boss battles can be a pain because when the boss glows red with a heavy attack, there is no way to block nor dodge it. At least I haven't figured it out yet. I started the game the hard level, which I have found to be extremely challenging! I just think this game should have gotten a hard 8. 90% of the negatives on here are all sony fans mad that this game is not on their console. Because we all know if it was, there would be hell to pay for such poor reviews. I like Ryse especially for a launch title. Its my favorite launch title out of both next gen consoles. I haven't even touched my PS4 since I got this game.... Expand
  24. Dec 7, 2013
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a demonstration of 4th generation CryEngine. By abandoning xbox 360 and PS3, the game has achieved a new level of visuals that is never achieved before. This is definitely the best looking game of 2013. The story is a little bit short. Even after going through the entire game, there is still something that hasn't been told well. But the story is great. The gameplay is undeniably repetitive because of lacking of new type of enemies, new weapons, and new combat methods. But overall gameplay and control is fluent and solid. I have to say, there are people giving it 10/10 by impressive graphics, voice acting, and solid combat. But this game is not perfect yet. There are a lot of improvements could have been done. So any score over 8 is subjective. Also, some people are focusing more game play and don't care about story. Sometimes they give this game 3 or 4 out of 10. This is also biased and subjective. This game at least is solid in every aspect. Therefore, it at least deserves 6 or 7 out of 10. Thinking of this is the first game only on next gen console, the quality of it deserves 7 out of 10. So this is the reason I gave it 7. Expand
  25. Dec 15, 2013
    Definitely worth the purchase. I held out for so long because of the short campaign but the gameplay and graphics make up for it. Very cinematic game and the gladiator mode is fantastic
  26. Nov 27, 2013
    the intese abuse of the secuence button smashing actions is really annoying, its hard to diggest even with that majestic graphics. The game free will abscence is absolute
  27. Nov 25, 2013
    I really am enjoying this game. I am almost done with the single player campaign and have played a bunch of multiplayer. The single player campaign is very well done and fun but it is short. The main complaint seems to be the repetitive nature of the combat and it is pretty much the same throughout the whole game but that is fine since it is enjoyable. Enemies change as the game goes on and they get more difficult but your abilities stay relatively the same. Remember to unlock the execution stuff as that adds some diversity. Increase the difficulty and it gets much much better. The game really shines in multiplayer where the number of enemies increases.

pros:
    ----------
    Great story (albeit a little short)
    Great graphics (you can really see emotion in characters faces)
    Great voice acting
    Fun multiplayer which also can be challenging
    Dynamic multiplayer is interesting
    Very Spartacus (Tv show) feeling

cons:
    ----------
    Too short sp campaign for a full priced title
    No variety in weapons (especially in multiplayer gladiatorial arena combat)
    Booster packs contain items (multiplayer only) which aren't all that interesting.
    Level up system (single player) is a little confusing
    Some of the alternative modes in sp (catapult stuff, human shield wall blocking arrows) lacked challenge
  28. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a prime example of good graphics and bad gameplay. Don't get me wrong, cutting people up is fun but it gets boring after hours of the same exact bland gameplay,
  29. Nov 29, 2013
    Exceptional game! The way the intensity of the story, acting, sound design and visuals plunges you into ancient Rome is beyond description. The gameplay is fun, but takes some time to master. A second play through is essential and in truth, finishing the game left me wanting more. Sequel PLEASE!
  30. Nov 29, 2013
    I may age myself here, but this game is a modern day Golden Axe and its FUN. All games are repetitive to some degree. In my opinion Ryse is no different than the Batman series. The story mode in Ryse was surprisingly interesting, the graphics are stunning, and the multiplayer is pretty cool. I enjoyed this game from start to finish, the only complaint I have is there are no decapitations. Ryse 2, bring decapitations please! Expand
  31. Nov 30, 2013
    I grant the disappointed and acknowledge that the combat is repetitive but let's be real here, I can't believe I'm seeing scores of 0, 1 and 2. to be honest I still haven't grown tired of hacking off arms and legs. The graphics are nothing short of amazing and it's good story. I can see rating this at a 6-7 if you're craving more depth in the combat area but below that, you're just being extra particular. Expand
  32. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm in love with this game. My jaw was on the floor from start to finish. Never got bored of the story or the combat. The reviews for this game are absolutely ridiculous. My buddy and I both recently finished the game and cannot stop talking about it. Some people are just impossible to satisfy. Best $60 I've spent on a game since Tombraider
  33. Dec 5, 2013
    This game is absolutely awesome. It is a true next-gen game with incredible graphics and sound, Crytek has done a very good job with the Cryengine on Xbox One. You wont see any like this on other games platforms.

This game is like a adventure combat game, it isn´t a pure hack and slash, so don't expect that for it. Played it to the end, I can say it was a very funny and a challenging
    game (difficulty 3/4).

You have a few moves: shield hit, heavy shield hit, sword hit, heavy sword hit, roll, dodge, pillum throw and a sort of very well done voice command to order your solders help you in the battlefield. Those are all moves you'll have for your Roman soldier, but I assure you they're enough to have fun fighting against 5 or 6 enemies at the same time.

Bad things I found were: the game is too short (about 7 hours) and you don't have anything more to do but fighting. It would be nice if Crytek did some puzzles or more interaction with the scenary along the game.
  34. Dec 7, 2013
    Un Titulo que trae frescura a la nueva generación y se desmarca de lo convencional ya que futbol, shooter, coches y zombies venimos servidos de la antecesora.
    El aspecto gráfico es bastante bueno en primeros planos y algo menos cuidado en pequeños detalles como los fuegos de fondo, jugabilidad aceptable aunque un poco repetitiva, el nivel de dificultad "maximo" también es un poco flojo
    para los jugadores habituales de este género y el apartado sonoro con una calidad aceptable. Expand
  35. Dec 7, 2013
    Great game, don't listen to the bad reviews. Only reason I didn't give a ten was due to lack of diversity to attack controls. Overall though beautiful graphics really showing what the xbox one will be capable of. Much better than some of the other straight from 360 type ports which have launched This game truely is next gen. Well worth a few run throughs. Just started the arena solo gladiator mode which is giving longevity to the title. Top surprise, really enjoyed. Expand
  36. Dec 7, 2013
    Don't listen to anyone complaining about this game being repetitive. It's the only Xbox One game I don't regret buying. I almost considered not buying the game just because I'm not a huge fan of hack and slash games and also because of the bad reviews, but I'm glad I got it! It's pretty addictive, the story is actually worth paying attention to, the graphics are fantasmo, and there's plenty of variety to keep the game entertaining. There's also the added plus of the gladiator mode. I'll be playing the fudge out of that once I'm done with the story. My only complaint is that there isn't much variety in the enemies. Sometimes you'll be fighting 4 guys that all look the same, but it really doesn't bother me much just because the game is so good. Expand
  37. Dec 28, 2013
    This is an absolutely beautiful game. The graphics and detail in this game are absolutely stunning. This game is a tech demo just like killzone shadowfall. This game shows off what the graphics in this game can do. However just like killzone it has last generation gameplay.
  38. Dec 19, 2013
    This game is so one dimensional, definitely not worth the Even after the 3GB update to revise combat, the game falls flat on its face.

Sure things are beautiful but you're always fighting the same 3 boring enemies to advance the story. This game tried to be a God of War but the dumbed down combat and lack of variety would hardly keep a 7 year old entertained more than a few hours.

Don't even get me started on the upgrade system, an Android or Iphone game has more complex upgrades and oh wait do you ask if this game is a Free-To-Play? You will after seeing the number of micro-transactions they prompt you with. AVOID THIS GAME UNLESS YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PLAY
  39. Dec 22, 2013
    Coming into the Xbox One and seeing some of the disappointing reviews, I was expecting to see a lackluster hack and slash style game. But a month later, I can't get enough. I would have to say that it was my #1 launch title for the Xbox.

The single player starts out a little slow but starts to really pick up, and that's when you start to see the real intricacies of the fighting. On
    your second playthrough (which I recommend) you start to get a challenge with the Legendary difficulty. Take it to online and do the multiplayer and you start to see a variety in the gameplay. With the first DLC out and a few more maps cycling through the multiplayer arenas, it feels like a fresh experience again. Love this game and can't wait for future DLC Expand
  40. Dec 26, 2013
    I'll start with the single player. The story is actually confusing (as most Crytek games are) until about halfway through. I didn't actually see the ending coming, and anyone who played and was paying attention probably didn't see the ending coming either. I immediately dismiss anyone's review saying it was expected or predictable.

((SPOILER ALERT: It turns out you play the main
    character caught in a game between two gods which is resulting in the ruin of Rome.))

Based loosely on actual history (characters are real people, but not accurate in region or time), you end by becoming the revenge-bent Damocles taking on the royalty of Rome, whose bad decisions might lead to it's demise. The "quick-time events" aren't as bad as people say, and you actually do have to pay attention to the people attacking you, so it's not quite a button mashing hack/slash as much as it is timing and attention. It can be actually very challenging but yes, agreed it does get a little repetitive in terms of combat.

Multiplayer is pretty fun, but does get old after a few hours of playing. This has been a game I swap between COD (the only other game I have right now) periodically and usually crank through a few levels of multiplayer after having beaten the single player. It starts fairly slow I admit, but once you understand how to level up your player, you'll be hooked for good hour-long matches. If you have a friend to help that's even more fun, otherwise you get paired with someone random, which can be good/bad depending.

I really enjoyed this game as a console-release show-off because they went out of the way to put in the various new tricks: vibes in the triggers, kinect commands (which work well as long as you enunciate) and of course, those pretty amazing graphics.

Overall, I said 8/10. It's not a perfect score for two reasons: gameplay does need a little more variety and multiplayer grind is sorta outrageous (getting to level 100 will take FOREVER).

I imagine this might be a title much like Assassin's Creed, where the first one was visually stunning but the gameplay was just a bit too repetitive. If the make future Ryse games, I hope they really add more to the game in terms of interactions with your surroundings, maybe make the character do more... etc. etc.

Hope this review helps! I think it's worth a play (especially once the returns start coming in and you can get it for cheap).
  41. Jan 5, 2014
    I was cautious buying this but am extremely pleased I did. It's a beautiful, beautiful game but it's strength is in a truly excellent story. While some may complain that the main campaign is a little short, I thought it was a decent length, as some games do tend to go on a bit these days.

I'd agree that the game can be a bit repetitive, however I was so swept up in the drama that I
    didn't mind too much. Each level has a very distinctive look and feel which helps. Value is added with the multiplayer as you get to do some great historical recreations in the Coliseum.

This is certainly a worthy introduction to next gen gaming as it's one of the most gorgeous games I've seen. I just hope the same team are working on a more open, Clash of the Titans style game!
  42. Jan 20, 2014
    Was better than most negative publicity it recieved. I loved feeling like russell crowes maximus oreilious(the gladiator) what a great feeling.... loved the graphics, amazing animations. Hack and slashing fun, combos looked fairly sweet, nice to see what kind of graphics xbone can do. Yes its short and multiplayer was fun but monotonous, super rental, not to purchase.
  43. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game had incredible graphics and also had an incredible combat system. But for someone who studies history, I can say the historical accuracy was incredibly out of order and made all the ancient Picts/Britons look like shirtless savages, there was also no barbarian tribe in Scotland that wore bull skulls and happened to be 7 feet tall, and there was no point in time where Boudica rode a war elephant. Nero didn't have any kids either. Commodus wasn't even around during the time of Nero nor was he ever related to the Caesar bloodline. This game wasn't really meant to be historically accurate though, and it had fantasy elements in it which explains why it was historically innacurate. However, If you're into fighting games like God of War, Dynasty Warriors, Spartan total warrior this would be your game. 7/10 for me. I hope you found this review helpful. Expand
  44. Mar 11, 2014
    Very good game my favorite xbone game by far and my favorite of any game.. It is superior to everything and should be in the hall of fame for best videogame of all time.. Game reminds me of sonic the hedgehog 2 but with better graphics
  45. Mar 18, 2014
    Ryse has some really cool gameplay mechanics, and the story is pretty darn good too. The campaign gets a little boring after a while, but I found myself really loving the multiplayer. The graphics are definitely top notch too. The first game you should purchase for the Xbox One is Dead Rising 3, the second game you should buy is Titanfall, but the third game you should get is Ryse:Son of Rome. Ryse may not be perfect, but it's still a very good game with a lot of great things to offer any gamer. Expand
  46. Dec 5, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game more than I thought I would. The graphics are incredible, but the single-player story is what really drew me in. The multilayer is also surprisingly fun. My only issue with the game is some of the enemies can be repetitive at times. Looking forward to a squeal!
  47. Dec 21, 2013
    A gorgeous hack and slash that is a blast to play. This game is simply heaps of fun and to me that is the biggest and most often overlooked aspect of gaming nowadays. The combat is vicious and fluid and delivers those "OMG!" moments as you hack off limbs and impale enemies with your sword. You have 4 categories each chosen with a direction on the D-Pad that activate different attributes and different sets of death animations in each category so mixing the combat and animations up is really up to you and not that repetitive at all. The online component is even more entertaining than the single player! Wrecking havoc in the coliseum with a friend against waves of enemies and traps is very cool and again lots of fun. You can unlock sets of weapons and armor that affect your skills online differently depending on how you suit up for battle. This game is a perfect launch title IMO as it does a great job of keeping you coming back for more and it's overall fun factor...make no mistake though, it is easy to pick up and play but can be tough to master, especially on higher difficulties. Ryse represents my first must have title for the new generation, I love this game! Expand
  48. Jun 25, 2014
    When I bought Ryse I expected to be blown away with the stunning graphics and epic game play. But all I was left with was a game that looked like a 360 game and a story that gets boring very quickly.The graphics is not that amazing like everyone claims it is this game has the graphics of an Xbox 360 game and that is a big disappointment
  49. Dec 1, 2013
    I really enjoyed Ryse. The melee combat reminded me of the Batman franchise which I really like. The single player game isn't very long, unfortunately for some, but I don't have the attention span to play marathon experiences anymore so I personally prefer shorter games, though maybe you would wait a bit for a more accessible price for such a short game. The variety in enemies is disappointing. The credit claim the game took 7 years to create, so I'm assuming that energy went into the world and 3D character modeling and animation rather than gameplay features, however, it is a launch title after all and it is to be expected that a game like this would showcase the power of the system before it awes you into an inspiring story driven epic. Expand
  50. Nov 30, 2013
    I enjoy play this game, also voice integration is awesome, reward system is very good that put something else to the game to escape the repetitive system. That's all.
  51. Feb 3, 2014
    First of all, I'd like to say that I am not a fan of the beat'em all genre. Not at all. So when a game brings me to beat it twice, in a genre that I dislike, THAT IS A GOOD GAME. The thing is... What people tend to forget is that EVERY beat'em all game is repetitive. Any game of any genre actually. So what makes Ryse different ? It is incredibly addictive. The story is amazing, every character has its own personality, there is work behind that. A lot. And the universe is completely credible, and though it is fiction, I had no problem believing in every happening story event.

Gameplay side, the experience and character evolution is okay. Very classic, but still, you'll enjoy unlocking everything for your character, specially executions. And the game takes all its sense on Legendary difficulty. It is truly challenging. The AI is nothing like what any developer ever did before, since you'll feel like she's learning from your way of playing.

Graphically, I won't even bother explain how perfect it is. I've never seen such a realistic render. Shaders are just impressive.

Voice acting and all the soundtrack is of great quality.

And here's the conclusion, this game is a masterpiece of art. It is going to draw you all the way in a Roman second century drama. Its realization, and story will keep you from stop playing it.

I'll give it a ten, because I believe there will be a sequel, if it pushes further in character evolution.
  52. Mar 1, 2014
    Such an epic game. This is a game I have been wishing to play since childhood. Great story, great cinematics. I loved it, don't listen to the haters, give it a chance. The fight animations are BRUTAL and the combat is so enjoyable.
  53. Jan 13, 2014
    I bought this game at launch and never played it until this past weekend. I completely expected to load up a turd and turn it off in 20 minutes. I was wrong. I do not understand all the hate and negativity for this game. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's certainly not the worst (Colonial Marines) as many mainstream reviews would have you believe. The graphics are simply gorgeous, the gameplay is smooth and the story is addicting. All elements for a great game. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet and the single player is a bit on the short side (6 hours) so kick up the difficulty for a bit more of a challenge. Don't listen to the negative reviews without trying this one for yourself. Expand
  54. Jan 19, 2014
    Ryse is one of the most interesting launch games I've ever played, there are just as many great things about as there are faults. That said, I really enjoyed playing it for the most part, there's a surprisingly good story, it's graphically the most impressive game I've played on all the next gen systems, the audio and overall sound is superb, and killing animations are fluid, vibrant, and brutal. So what breaks a game that has so much good going for it? Simplistic gameplay. While there's nothing wrong with that, 5 - 7 hours of the same core mechanics gets old. It's a game I love to play in bursts and the gameplay is pretty fun then, but after awhile it gets stale. Think of the Batman Arkham games but if you could only use A, X, Y, B, and the right trigger for executions. While the power ups are damn awesome, Ryse succumbs to being too short, and looses interest soon. It's a fun and enjoyable game that I really liked, but it's more of the perfect "rent" kind of game. Expand
  55. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't understand all the hate that this game is receiving....so I will break down the game into a couple areas that people use to rate games:
    Story 8- the story was very well done I won't go into specifics because I don't want to spoil it for anyone however if you find ancient Rome to be a subject of interest this will be an enjoyable part of the game
    Combat 8- if you were a fan of
    batman games or any of the assassins creed games you will find similarities in the system I do feel that it is a little more difficult that both those games because you do have to get the timing (you cannot just spam block endlessly) of your blocks down to maximize your combo points which you use to upgrade your character, executions vary depending on your unlocks and the position of the characters ,there could have been a few more variations but this is a minor inconvenience and easily overlooked.
    Visuals 10- this game looks amazing!!!! definitely the best game I have seen and I have both the xbone and the ps4 if you are picky about which games you play because you have a fixation for games that have to be amazing visually you will love watching the executions and cinematics in this game even the most seasoned gamer would have to agree on this point never have I seen such fine lighting and particle effects even the hair on NPC characters is true to life amazing attention to detail.
    Replay 6- this game is short, a friend and I took turns playing and easily beat it on soldier difficulty in 5 hours watching all the cinematics .you are encouraged to play through again on higher difficulties to max out your character and also if you are an achievement hunter, I have not played the multiplayer yet however as I understand it this is also connected with your offline character so you play the campaign to upgrade then go fight in the arena against waves of enemies .
    Bottom line: I gave this game an 8 because I really believe that if you have an xbone you should do yourself a favour and play this game, its short and sweet but well worth it to experience what next gen is capable of...besides you can beat it in no time and still get good trade for it while its still new.
  56. Jan 9, 2014
    The game was not bad. The graphics are awesome and the game play was fun but the game was very very short. I beat it in about 6 hours. The combat was pretty repetitive but it was still fun. This game started off as a Kinect game and you can tell but they did a good job reverting the game to a traditional control scheme. I hesitated buying the game because I had heard it was so short and I didn't want to pay $60 for a game that short. Now that I finished the game I feel that fear was justified. The multiplayer was pretty fun but I couldn't really get into that much. I honestly feel that the next iteration of Ryse will be a much better game. They'll be 100% focused on the control scheme and they'll be able to add more depth and variety. Expand
  57. Jan 8, 2014
    This is definitely one of those games that requires you to enter with a certain set of expectations. Ryse looks phenomenal, which is possibly an understatement. The graphics are excellent, but what truly makes this game shine are the character animations. The characters move just as in real life, but more importantly, the facial animations truly capture human emotions and convey them effortlessly. It's like watching LA Noire, but with better facial animations, dialogue, and better graphics.
    The gameplay is repetitive. There's no getting around that. That aspect makes the game really fun for short stints, but not ideal for extremely long playthroughs. I really enjoyed the ability to choose what I'd receive for my executions though. Concentrating on this aspect allowed me to ignore the repetition and become more strategic. Overall, I'd easily recommend the game if you can get it for $50 or less. It's extremely impressive, and for short to moderate stints, it's a lot of fun. Its not trying to be perfect, and it would be a shame if people skipped over it for that reason. The story alone is quite impressive. Definitely worth your time!
  58. Jan 7, 2014
    Underrated Game. Honestly. 7-8 would be fair. Play on hardest setting for full enjoyment as the easy settings are too easy- This may be the reason for some of the poor reviews, although I do not believe that a lot of the low scores have even played it (sad I know). I have dabbled with the Gladiator co-op and really liked that too. BAD points- Lack of variety with weapons, sometimes frustrating camera angles and no PVP. PVP would suit this game well. It's not the a complete game but definitely better than the overall review score suggests Expand
  59. Dec 11, 2013
    A great new franchise with great ambitions in a setting that has yet to be seen on the 360/One world. No doubt there will be a sequel to this game. If you want to prove and put your Xbox One to the test this game is pure eye candy. The story is pretty good and keeps your attention. There is a lot of room for improvement though. I would really like to see PVP and an open world like assasins creed has done. The arena feels a bit tacked on and the game is a 50gb install so make sure you have the space. Expand
  60. Jan 14, 2014
    The amount of zeros and ones this game has garnered is undeserving. Ryse may not be the best game ever, but it's certainly fun, entertaining and artistic enough to earn a 6.5 or 7.

I'll start with it's flaws - it's gameplay can be repetitive, linear, and not very engaging. At its worst, Ryse is too easy or too hard for all the wrong reasons. You basically learn your character's entire
    skill/move set within an hour of playing the game and can't really customize Marius' action mechanics for new combos or new attacks. Every fight ultimately becomes a different variation of block-roll-attack-"focus" until marius is able to quicktime someone to death. Furthermore, even though the landscape and game environment is beautiful, it really isn't interactive at all. There are times when the player might ask himself whether the sequence he just participated in might not have been better off as a cutscene. Essentially, the bottom line is that Ryse has gameplay that can be overly directed and repetitive.

However, that doesn't mean the game isn't fun. Even though it was repetitive, ripping apart barbarians was both challenging and fun. Just because you're given the same basic set of moves doesn't mean enemies and fights aren't difficult or interesting. Whereas sometimes the game only asks you to press a button or two, many of the boss battles and fight sequences require the player to quickly react to a series of actions. It was like playing assassin's creed or arkham city except it was actually possible to lose if you didn't keep your actions and blocks precise.

Plus (as everyone has already highlighted) it's a gaming cinematic masterpiece. The graphics and voice acting are superb - even if the story is a little cheesy.
  61. Dec 23, 2013
    It's fun and enriching.
    On rails.
    Combo executions.
    In game purchases are the latest fad.
    Buy a bag of gold ala INFINITY BLADE.
    There is still a lot to offer.
  62. Dec 5, 2013
    Ok, so I wasn't gonna buy this one, and fate just threw it on my lap. So I played it.
    Since I had read loads of reviews, I was already expecting something bad. Like, really really bad.
    At the beginning of the game I felt it was an incomplete piece os sh*t, with shallow gameplay that didn't even require me to press buttons at quick time events.
    I even turned off my console and planned to
    sell the game. But, since it was a gift, I decided to at least go through the whole thing one time.
    And you know what? The game is actually kinda cool.
    Executions are not at all varied, but they are very cool-looking and easy to perform, with easy and very responsive controls.
    the skill tree is shallow as hell, period.
    The plot is overall very good, voice acting is competent and of course, graphics are awesome.
    So what I can say is this: Don't get dragged by the negative hype. Give this one a chance.
    It might not be a deep game with lots of options, but it is a good first appearance of a new franchise on a new platform, and it could be greatly improved on future instalments.
    It's certainly not the game we hoped for, and also not the piece of crap others say it is.
  63. Nov 30, 2013
    This game looks stunning.
    The game play mechanics work well too and shows off the Xbox Ones capabilities excellently.
    Campaign is short but enjoyable and worth playing a couple times and multiplayer is good fun, performing execution moves on fellow gamers is a joy.
    I'd say this is a must have title on your new Xbox One, I now have both the Xbox & PS4 and this has been the highlight of
    my gaming experience from the games I own, Ryse & Need for Speed on Xbox, battlefield 4 on PS4.

I've read in other reviews that there's limited enemy types, this is true but who cares when you're chopping them up? They all look the same in the end.
  64. Dec 9, 2013
    Its just beautiful in terms of graphics, the story is interesting and also it is fun, the most important thing in a videogame. The issues start when we go come down to gameplay cause the game is too rigid, you have to do the stuff just like the game tolds you, you cant explore the amazing enviorment, the fighting is the same almost all the time, but in some way it works, at last there are some sequences very boring, specially the ones where you have to throw.some arrows. Finally the multiplayer although is very effective is very limited. In conclusion is not a masterpiece but even if you see the horrible grades this game has received, dont let them discourage to buy this ok.game. Expand
  65. Dec 5, 2013
    This game has the best visuals of all the next gen launch games without a doubt. The combat in this game is simple, perhaps a bit repetitive, but it's fun and never gets boring. The story is good but at the same time feels shallow and rushed. At the time of this writing this game is not a must own, however, it is a must play.

TL;DR
    The visuals are absolutely stunning, the gameplay
    while shallow is fun, and the story is good however too short... Not a must own but a must play. Expand
  66. Dec 21, 2013
    This game does not really deserve a 10, but it most definitely does not deserve anything less than a 7, so I wanted to bring its average rating up a little because I can't stand all the jaded jerks that give games a "0" or "1". Very, very few games deserve such a low rating. Anyone that rates a game a "0" to "4" really has a chip on their shoulder and cannot be taken seriously.

All
    that being said, this game is good, almost great. The graphics are the best of the next-gen, and the gameplay is just like God of War, so I don't know why everyone knocks it. I would say the game is a solid 7.5, good, but not one of the greats, but very good. In my opinion, definitely worth picking up, especially if you want to see next-gen graphics. Expand
  67. Jan 10, 2014
    Ryse is a beautiful game with terrible game play. Forcing(well strong-arming) the user to use Kinect is not cool and I really hope MS$ doesn't make this a thing going forward. Overall I had fun playing but I would have liked them to mix it up a bit with the combat and controls.
  68. Nov 24, 2013
    Graphics: 8/10
    Single Player: 7/10
    Online: 2/10
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Replay value: 1/10
    Product Value: $25.00
    Cinematics: 7/10

The game is good for one thorough play through but has no replay value or a good online to look forward to. The game is definitely not worth the $60.00, but more so a $25.00 game.
  69. Nov 26, 2013
    Where to start? Ryse is not a ground breaking game by any capacity. However what it does do, it does well. That being said, you aren't going to find anything entirely new here. What Ryse does bring to the table are some truly stunning visuals, repetitive (albeit satisfying) combat, phenomenal voice and mo-cap acting, and a decent (albeit shallow) story.

It should also be noted that this
    game is rather short, and in that short amount of time, you will find yourself doing much of the same thing throughout (hack, slash, kill, move on, repeat). While combat is mapped basically to six buttons (sword attack, shield attack, block, dodge, execute and focus), the executions really do shine ad do a good job of breaking up the combat. The game does have over 95 execution animations, but you will end up seeing some of the same handful of them throughout your journey. If you can look past it, then you'll find yourself truly able to enjoy what Ryse is all about. There are also a handful of voice commands you can shout at your kinect at specific times, though you can also hold the LB button to make those work as well. Quite frankly the only thing Ryse does EXTREMELY poorly are the sections of the game that you are forced to use a Scorpio (turret mounted crossbow). Fortunately, you only need to use it a few times, but it is worth noting that they are some of the most boring, awkward, and broken parts of the game.

The story is a mixed bag; while the setting does a good job of spicing up the story, there were times where much of what was happening felt forced and ham-fisted. Though the story does do a good job making you REALLY hate the antagonists, which makes the journey all the sweeter. Thankfully, all parts in this game are admirably acted, and all the actors do a great job pulling you in, even if their source material is a bit lackluster.

The game does have a pretty decent multiplayer arena mode as well, but many will be off put by it's OPTIONAL micro transactions. Again, I say OPTIONAL because you can earn all the game has to offer by actually PLAYING the game this is something we are all going to have to get used to, as almost every game will be adopting this business model. Right now it isn't an issue, but when they become MANDATORY, then we can all grab the pitchforks. As for what you actually pay for/earn is currency used to buy packs of gear ala Mass Effect 3.

At the end of the day, this is probably the most graphically impressive title for the XBox One at the moment. When you want to show a friend what graphical capabilities the system can showcase, this would be the title to do it. This game runs at 900p; quite frankly if it ran at 1080p, you wouldn't know the difference. In fact, the same goes for all XB1 games don't let someone tell you there is a big difference between 720p, 900p, or 1080p because they would not be able to tell the difference themselves. They are just blowing smoke up your butt.

Personally, I really did enjoy my time with Ryse. It was short, but sweet, and if it carried on any longer than it did, it could definitely have left me bored. When I was done with the whole thing, it did leave me with a big smile on my face and it definitely makes me look forward to the next few years with my new console. Isn't that what gaming is all about?
  70. Nov 25, 2013
    It's very similar to old school games like Final Fight or Streets of Rage. You travel around having group fights with enemies that use set patterns of attack. Every now and then you meet a boss character who requires special tactics like Mike Tyson's Super Punch Out. The combat is responsive and rewards skill and timing. Plus it's well acted and looks gorgeous.
  71. Dec 12, 2013
    This game is amazing ...
    Press criticism against him is terrible and many news editors have forgotten games of the 90s.
    May be they were can only be frustrated to see their big brother playing these games you named them all beat. Double dragon, street of rage are parties of this.
    At this time, only two buttons on the handle but fun to sell and this is what I found with breathtaking
    graphics when I play Ryse ...

So older friends don't hesitate to test Ryse. It will probably remind you greats moments of happiness.
  72. Nov 27, 2013
    Hack n' slash has never been my style. That being said I immensely enjoyed this game. Stunning graphics, an enthralling story, and solid fighting made for an awe inspiring next-gen experience. Some may hate the simon says style sections when an execution is triggered, but the grimmaces on the faces of my victims as they were brutalized has yet to get tiring. It brought me back to the rush I felt whilst chainsawing my first hapless locust in the original Gears of War. Plus, nailing each signal immediately to get the legendary blows kept me engaged. However, I do wish there were consequences for my frequent missed presses. Action is mugged by ridiculous semi auto crossbow segments that tear you away from the realism that is otherwise beautifully conveyed, and the campaign is too far on the short side, but the online gladiator mode with an elaborate upgrade system will keep me playing for weeks to come. A flawed, but solid experience from a launch game that I believe deserves more credit for what it's achieved. Expand
  73. Nov 29, 2013
    Ryse has a very strong and professionally produced story. The voice acting and cinematic elements of the game are a testament to a gateway to the new generation of consoles. The game play is accommodating and adequate, even if it is simple and formulaic. The overall presentation and feel of the game easily overshadows its flaws and makes for an exciting chain of varying chapters and engaging narrative. Expand
  74. Nov 30, 2013
    It's a good game but like others have said its repetitive. The mechanics of the game and the graphics are quality but you just get bored too quickly. I still say it's worth getting at this early stage of the xbox ones cycle. the critic's score would suggest its a really bad game which it isn't, it just doesn't get anywhere near its potential.
  75. Nov 30, 2013
    The game is short and to the point (ba-doom, pun), but leaves you wanting a bit more. Graphically the game is amazing feeling near seamless between combat and the great story it tells. The combat tests your reaction but is nothing new to video games, even with the many different ways to kill people, most people will probably find the executions repetitive. The story as mentioned before is great, lead by what is some of the best voice acting and character animation in video games to date. While the linear aspect and repetitive combat may disappoint some, other will be surprised by the beauty, art, and voice-acting the game displays. Its a good ride. Expand
  76. Dec 1, 2013
    People here actually give Ryse 0 points and then 10 points to Killzone or other PS4 exclusive. I mean how obvious can you get?

And about the game, it was fantastic, extremely beautiful but bit too short. I enjoyed it from begin to end.
  77. Dec 2, 2013
    Brilliant from start to finish. I encourage everyone reading these reviews to look at the profiles of those giving this game a 0. They poorly rate all xbone games and give ps4 games 10s
  78. Dec 3, 2013
    Reviewers are missing the point with this game. This is a launch game that simplifies controls with button color references to allow anyone, "NEW" gamers especially, to pickup and play a next gen game with relative ease. I selected the hardest difficulty available from the start and in no way did i think this game was easy. Reviewers must have played this on the easiest setting to rip through it for review purposes. I was forced to upgrade my character and executions to progress through the game. The graphics and sound are exceptional. This game is very graphic with brutal executions which brings up another issue I see in most reviews. There are dozens of executions in this game. How reviewers are stating that the same execution occurs over and over is not true. You unlock more executions as you level up. There are multiple single, double, environment and co-op executions with multiple variations. Yes there same arm is hacked off, but wouldn't you hack off the weapon wielding arm of your opponent?
    On-line is a solid gaming experience as well that any skill level gamer can dig into. I almost did not pick up this game due to "Expert" review scores and would have missed out on a great game.
  79. Dec 5, 2013
    Graphics: 10 Story: 10 Gameplay: 6 Fun Factor: 10 I bought an Xbox One hoping that this next gen would blow my mind visually. To say other games have been underwhelming is an understatement. This is the first game that made my jaw drop and drew me in with its cinematic quality and amazing storyline. Gameplay is repetitive but still VERY challenging. And when you get it right its very rewarding. I cant wait to play through again and find all of the hidden items on a more difficult mode. Expand
  80. Dec 5, 2013
    Since the day I decided to buy an Xbox One, the game that impressed me the most was Ryse: Son of Rome. The graphics looked clearly next-gen, the setting of ancient Rome was awesome, and the vicious, bloody combat reminded me of God of War.
    But as time went on, most of the feedback from game critics was negative. Combat driven by quick time events, repetitive combat, and a general lack of
    polish was what many claimed.
    Regardless of the noise, Ryse was the first game to grace my Xbox One. And having spent 2 weeks with the game, despite it being a launch title, it will be extremely difficult for any Xbox One title to satisfy me and entertain me the way Ryse:Son of Rome did.
    GRAPHICS (10): Any fears I had about the Xbox One not being powerful enough were washed away by Ryse. I mean, it's just beautiful. The level of detail in everything from the environments to the clothing is astounding. Nothing in the Xbox One launch lineup comes close to Ryse in the graphics department.
    PRESENTATION (10): Besides the awesome graphics, Ryse's presentation is second to none. The story is very strong in Ryse, and Crytek made sure to deliver on dramatic moments throughout the campaign.
    GAMEPLAY (9): The biggest criticism of Ryse was repetitive combat. Well, you play as a Roman soldier leading an army, so fighting is all you do. I mean, what else would there be to do? If critics wanna say Ryse is repetitive, then so is Halo, cause all you do is shoot the same aliens over and over again. That's not a criticism of Halo, it's just to illustrate how overblown the "repetitive combat" gripe is. And besides, the game does mix things up quite a bit. And as far as the quick time events, they are only used as execution kills after you have taken each enemy's health down to almost zero, so the combat system is far from just pushing buttons. The one fair criticism is the same enemies are used way to frequently, breaking some of the realism. Still, a pretty minor complaint.
    CONTROLS(9): Controlling your actions is fairly easy and intuitive. The only control issue I found was as times it seemed I should have pulled off a defensive counter and I would still take a hit. But again, except for this minor gripe, controls are mostly excellent.
    FUN(10): What makes Ryse fun is the intense combat. It's challenging and requires focus, especially when you are fighting 2 or 3 enemies at the same time. It's also a lot of fun to see where the story goes. I've played through the campaign twice, which I only do if a game is really fun.
    FINAL SCORE (10): When you add it all up, Ryse: Son of Rome deserves the highest score I can give. The complaints are minor. And with an incredible story, next gen graphics, fun and challenging combat, and an overall kickass presentation, I don't know how it could have been better. I'll be hoping for the announcement of Ryse 2 in the future...
  81. Dec 8, 2013
    O jogo graficamente falando muito bom, porém meio repetitivo, pois não há variedade de inimigos, são quase todos iguais. No resumo um bom jogo, mas poderia ser melhor. Agora ficaria perfeito se a história fosse sobre o Spartacus
  82. Dec 9, 2013
    Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  83. Dec 9, 2013
    Two words brutal and beautiful that is the best way to describe Ryse. To anyone on the fence about purchasing this game I say take the plunge you will not be disappointed. The staggering amount of low reviews is not a good representation of the quality of this game to say the least many of these reviews reek of bias. Ryse may have a vey straight forward combat system but tell me which hack and slash doesn't? Did such a combat system ever hold back high critic scores for games like Batman arkham or GoW? I will say this now I would have loved to see different weapon usage throughout the campaign but I also understand that you play as a centurion so shield and board make perfect sense perhaps in the sequel which I can only hope is made. Beautiful graphics, very good story excellent voice acting and motion capture and a super solid combat system (even if basic) make his game a must play. I have not spent much time with the multiplayer but what I have tried has been challenging and just as nice looking as the main game. Expand
  84. Dec 13, 2013
    Visuals amazing, decent game play and great music atmosphere. Yes there are a few issues but its a really decent game and i'm enjoying playing through. I rent my games so for a rent its perfect, if I paid 50 quid maybe not.....
  85. Dec 15, 2013
    Firt of all, i dont agree with the notes that this game is receiving from the critic. This game have much potentional to be one of the most amazing franchises ever. This graphics, jesus man, this graphics... THIS IS THE NEXT GENERATION! Amazing graphics, better than whatever i see until now. Better than PC graphics, better then all games we have today to play, just amazing. Another great thing about Ryse is the History, if you like the history of Roma and Mythology you will like it. The gameplay its really good, it works very well, the problem is the variation of the gameplay, unfortunately it is repetitive. But dont be sad, the amazing graphics, the amazing history, the good gameplay make this game really amazing. I think if Crytek and Microsoft make another Ryse, fixing all the problems, we gonna have one of the most amazing games ever created. Expand
  86. Dec 18, 2013
    Forget modern day reviews from these geeky righteous gamers. Son of rome is a brilliant game. Graphics are incredible and the combat is addictive. Once the campaign is finished you have the brilliant multiplayer.
    I don't know what people want from games these days after seeing the low reviews for this game but I highly recommend it.
  87. Dec 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My review of Rise: Son of Rome is that from a Retro Gamer and who values a GOOD Story Campaign... Yes the Gameplay is very very repetitive, Yes the Visual Graphics are Great to Look at on 1080 tv screen but it has very short Generic story campaign!!!

In generally, video games are revolving around the online or mult-player game value!!! Too, why pretty soon there won't be ANYMORE Story Campaigns in a Video Game!!! And what will you GUYS DO when they STOP SUPPORTING the servers of these so called GREAT WORKS OF ART I ASK YOU??
    A LAN Party anyone kinda like the CounterStrike GOOD OLE Days... Hopefully, you'll get around that END USER AGREEMENT that you click on BEFORE YOU PLAYED THAT GAME OR I'll SEE YOU IN COURT... Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc. for all you Video Game History Buffs out there!!! READ UP ON THAT!!!

Anyways, while playing Ryse: Son of Rome I notice the old familiar 6ft 2 brown hair white guy hero mold, which brought back so many memories like playing Mass Effect series, Grand Theft Auto series, UnCharted series and so many others to be so original!!! NOT...

Getting pass that, I first felt like I was playing Shadow of Rome a PS2 Title, Spartan Total Warrior a Xbox Title both which are GREAT TITLES TO PLAY but then I started to say NO... Then, I thought about Gladiator circa 2000 & 300 circa 2007 films but NO once again... But, when the storyline shifted to Britannia then it hit me and I started to think about King Arthur movie circa 2004, WHICH IS A EXCELLENT MOVIE TO WATCH IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN IT TO WATCH!!!

Because, all the elements were there for the taking... I mean, the King of Britannia had a warrior daughter and they could had developed a real love story between two of them and him protecting her people against wrong doings of Rome especially after the King was wrongly killed in front of their eyes!!! And Marius could of still gotten his revenge tied into one powerfully storyline... But they just couldn't do it... Nope... I mean, Marius and Boudica could had been the parents of King Arthur in this revisionist version of the History!!!

Like I said before: You still could had Marius going back to Rome and having him fight his way through the Arena and winning the favor of the crowd and still have him killing the Emperor and his Sons and saving Rome from itself and returning back to the People and going back to Britannia to be with Boudica and NOT CUTTING OFF HER HEAD, which he did INSTEAD!!!

As, this was not a GREEK TRAGEDY like the GOD OF WAR SERIES or even DANTE'S INFERNO HAVING NO LOVE INTERESTS CONTAIN AT ALL IN THE STORYLINE!!! OOOO HIS PARENTS DIED AND HIS SISTER WE NEVER SAW BUT FOR HER DEAD BODY!!! AND HE WAS WRONGED ON THE BATTLEFIELD by defending YORK and I know your asking yourself this same question: When did Marius officially die to become Damocles??? Was after his father dies, was it when he got kick off the ledge in the Northern Lands or after defending York??? You tell me... You know what on second thought: I DON'T CARE!!!

THIS Ryse: Son of Rome WAS JUST A MEDIOCRE GAME AT BEST with a LACKLUSTER STORY, that took a leisure weekend to beat; if that...
  88. Dec 25, 2013
    Ryse: Son of Rome (XBone) Launch Title

Story: 8

Pretty straight forward and engaging enough for a hack & slash type of game such as this; however, I do think the first 1/4 of the story could be fleshed out just a bit better with more backstory...without going into spoiler-land, I feel the story was a bit disjointed in that you don't really realize what the true catalyst was at the
    beginning until you reach the very end, yet throughout the middle, it alludes to this catalyst...all in all though, the story is just a mere hanger-on to drive forward the more than satisfying, visually stunning, flawlessly choreographed combat...

Audio: 9

There is nothing particularly earth-shattering with respect to the game's audio and musical score; however, it lends well to the time period and matches well with the gameplay...

Graphics: 10

Top-notch...exactly the type of launch game you want to show off the graphical prowess of new hardware...the character movements are fluid, a work of art...the various moves/attacks/blocks/evades are perfectly choreographed and never look out of place...the vistas and locales are varied and just a pleasure to view...

Experience: 10

The gameplay is visceral, inviting, and exciting...while others feel the game becomes repetitive, I found this to not be the case...there were plenty of moments of varied gameplay mechanics such as manning the ballista or forming a moving shield wall with you and the rest of your legion's soldiers...granted it probably helped that I spent in-game XP to purchase new/upgraded executions and did not play through in one sitting (spread out over several weeks time)...

Overall: 10 (Exceptional)
  89. Jan 7, 2014
    Ok so i have to admit, the first 4 missions are a bit crap, but mission 5 onwards is just the best storyline ever. Repetetive, but then again, what combat game isnt. Multiplayer is small, boring and theres nothing to do. I highly reccomend seeing this through to the end, because the ending of this game makes the 3 tedious hours previous worth it.
  90. Jan 12, 2014
    Don't get me wrong this game has amazing graphics as do all other crytek games and it's strongly addictive but the gameplay is very repetitive, all you have to do really is press A then Y then X and sometimes there's a dodge and a spear throw but overall a 7.
  91. Jan 12, 2014
    Ryse: son of Rome is a very fun hack and slash launch game for the Xbox one. i knew what i was getting into when i bought it. the graphics are gorgeous and the coliseum mode is very fun to play especially with a friend.. its biggest flaws are the game play which at time is very repetitive and bland but the executions are sick and their is a large variety of them. overall i thought it had a solid story as well and is a good launch title to pick up that will keep you entertained for a couple of months. Expand
  92. Jan 15, 2014
    Great game! Gorgeous graphics and interesting plot! Plays like watching a movie! I have no words, thanks crytek!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Expand
  93. Jan 16, 2014
    Great launch title, amazing graphics, excellent game-play (although a little repetitive), was it worth the price of a brand new game yes and no. Everyone knows the graphics and detail are amazing, the game-play however a tad bit repetitive, it is mixed up a little bit by adding different enemies or going to different areas. The game in my opinion was too short, it would have been better if it had more of and RPG style to it and a longer campaign, but it was still enjoyable and some of the most enjoyable moments would have been the cut-scenes, All in all a worthwhile game, maybe just wait for a price drop to pick it up. Expand
  94. Jan 17, 2014
    8.5! The graphics are spectacular. Although the gameplay mechanics have been deemed repetitive, it's super fun! what game isn't repetitive in some degree? This game comes with a decent variety of enemies, and is incredibly satisfying to combo your way through them all (Batman anyone? You know what I mean). The multiplayer is subtle in how addicting the customization of your gladiator is, so you won't find nerds with diamond plated weapons *cough* call of duty crap. The story is challenging and feels like you're in a movie or tv series. I think people were just a little too harsh on this game, for a launch title, hats off to it. Expand
  95. Jan 18, 2014
    First off I dont understand why this go suck low ratings...... I played and beat this game and the only complaint I have is it is too short!!! The graphics are amazing and the story is good.(very to the point) If you are looking for a challenging hack and slash game then this one is it!! Please play the game before you review because it is obvious half these people dont even have the game.
  96. Jan 22, 2014
    Not sure why everyone was ripping on this game so much. Glad to see the user reviews are relatively positive (with the odd person claiming all of us giving it good ratings are MSFT employees, so they have to give it a 0 rating...). Yes the mechanics are simple and yes it wasn't quite long enough for my liking, but I loved the game and loved playing through it. So much so that I actually started playing through again. Perfecting the combat on higher difficulties and fighting 6 or more guys at a time that are all coming at you is a blast. Not sure why the critics hated on it so much. Expand
  97. Feb 14, 2014
    This game is a sublime game. Tech + history + gameplay.
    The game necesary for a Xbox gamers.
    Repetitive? maybe, but, this game is action in every moments, a history is a second film of gladiator easily.
  98. Feb 22, 2014
    Got this game a little late, but just finished it. The game is very enjoyable, but once you complete the story there really is not much appeal to keep playing after that. The multiplayer is very basic, and most of the time you can't even match up with someone. The story mode was a great play through. It has a good story to it, but the gameplay does get extremely repetitive. I played on the second highest difficulty (the hardest difficulty is unlocked after you beat the game) and there was just no real challenge. The game takes no skill, and is just a button smash type of game. This game can also be completed in about 6 hours and that was another downfall in my opinion. Overall, for one of the first games out for the Xbox One it was an OK game. It could have been a lot better, but it is worth a play. Expand
  99. Mar 9, 2014
    Fantastic game. Story is extremely compelling and graphics are amazing. Combat can become a little stale but overall does not diminish from the games integrity. Recommended to all who have an xbox one.
  100. Mar 14, 2014
    I always thought this was a good launch game. The graphics are incredible and the gameplay, while simple, is solid and fun (just my opinion). There are quick-time finishers to every kill/combat scenario so if that's not your thing, keep on walking. Personally, l enjoy the finisher animations as well as the facial expressions on the enemy characters as they express pain (kinda dark I guess but tech wise, impressive). The combat, while simple, still has enough variation (timing, button combos, etc) and depth to keep your attention through the story and a well written campaign that scratches the surface of the corruption that eventually caused Rome's downfall.

There is a light RPG-ish system that allows you to unlock abilities and executions and you'll unlock most on the first play through. It has a co-op multiplayer component (2 players) where you fight in the coliseum and keep the crowd entertained. I always enjoyed fighting alongside someone and keeping the crowd cheering through some crazy scenarios. Understand that, when I rate this, I rate it as an adult with a life, not a "hardcore gamer". I have maybe an hour a day to play games and for me, this game is perfect. This is a casual game, it's easy to pick up and play, you can play offline or online, it looks great and has enough depth and variation in the combat to keep things interesting.

1. May 11, 2014
    Ryse is visually stunning, but the combat system lacks finesse and gets kinda repetitive. [Feb 2014]
  2. Feb 10, 2014
    It has some really good moments but overall it’s just a presentation of Xbox One’s graphical capabilities that bores you with primitive combat and does little to keep you playing. [02/2014, p.55]
  3. Jan 29, 2014
    Ryse is fun at points but is ultimately held back by its repetitious nature. Still the game is a great way to show off the graphical capability of the Xbox One.