5.9

1. Nov 22, 2013
    As a fan of all videogames, I try to be objective in what does or doesn't make a videogame fun to play. If you have ever played a hack-n-slash or beat-em-up game, you are already prepared for what Ryse has to offer. The gameplay is repetitive to say the least, but there isn't a game out there that doesn't devolve into repetitive button mashing of some sort. I don't understand the harshAs a fan of all videogames, I try to be objective in what does or doesn't make a videogame fun to play. If you have ever played a hack-n-slash or beat-em-up game, you are already prepared for what Ryse has to offer. The gameplay is repetitive to say the least, but there isn't a game out there that doesn't devolve into repetitive button mashing of some sort. I don't understand the harsh criticism the game has garnered from both the media and the users, but you should make your own mind up about the game independent of someone else's opinion. I can guarantee you will NOT find a better looking game for the next gen systems before the end of the year and if you can honestly accept the game for what it is...an absolutely gorgeous, epically scaled yet repetitious and shallow hack-n-slash, then you'll probably get plenty of enjoyment out of the game. Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    Everyone on here rating games a 0 or 1 are discrediting themselves and only making themselves look like idiot trolls. This game is not a 0 or a 1. It is somewhere between a 4 or an 8. Some people will like it if they want mostly great graphics and simple yet fun gameplay, others will prefer deeper gameplay and will grow tired of Ryse after an hour or two. That is fine. Please share validEveryone on here rating games a 0 or 1 are discrediting themselves and only making themselves look like idiot trolls. This game is not a 0 or a 1. It is somewhere between a 4 or an 8. Some people will like it if they want mostly great graphics and simple yet fun gameplay, others will prefer deeper gameplay and will grow tired of Ryse after an hour or two. That is fine. Please share valid reasons either way and find a fair rating. I have played most of the big budget games, and none of them are 0s or 1s! Some prefer halo, some prefer BF, and some prefer COD. Each one as their strengths and weaknesses, but none are totally broken or unplayable. Remove all 0s an 1 ratings and then add up the rest and you will get a better picture of how good or bad a game truly is. My take on Ryse:

Graphics 9
    Gameplay 6 (good but gets old after a few hours)
    Music 8 (good Hollywood style music)
    Story 7 (kept my interest, but the characters could use more depth)
    Length 4 (6 hours is too short, more fun on hard setting, co-op decent, not worth 60 dollars)

Overall 7
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    It's not Devil May Cry with Romans but the combat is fun and very fluid if lacking in depth. The games problems mostly arise when your not in combat as its not nearly as fun. Animations do become repetitive after a while however
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    All style and no substance. Ryse looks superb, however there's nothing to keep you hooked or pull you back in. The plot is thin and cliche with every character adopting a very one-dimensional motivation. The gameplay is extremely repetitive. It looks good, and in short bursts can be enjoyable, but play it for an length of time and it becomes very tedious. Campaign is also very short (aAll style and no substance. Ryse looks superb, however there's nothing to keep you hooked or pull you back in. The plot is thin and cliche with every character adopting a very one-dimensional motivation. The gameplay is extremely repetitive. It looks good, and in short bursts can be enjoyable, but play it for an length of time and it becomes very tedious. Campaign is also very short (a worrying trend in the industry today). The co-op mode helps to flesh out the game and having a friend with you always adds to the experience but, unfortunately, the combat is still far too simple.

Only worth a purchase if you're a fan of the setting or you wait for a price drop down the line. Truth is, there isn't much here besides visuals and with far better launch titles available I would avoid it.
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    Sony fanboys are flooding the user review section just because they want the game to fail, so ignore the 0, 1 rating (and the Xclusiveitalian user, he gave 0 for all Xbox games and 10 for all PS4 games) because it doesn't make sense.
    Now talking about the game. It's gorgeous, and easily the best looking game to date. But, that's not all.
    The game plays good and fluid, but may became a
    The game plays good and fluid, but may became a little repetitive near the end. But that's normal for a action hack'n slash game. If you like roman, action, bloody, visceral game with a very good story, Ryse is for you. If you get bored quickly, and don't like blood, Ryse is not for you and is better to wait for a price drop.
    But the best you can do is try it by yourself, because it's love or hate game, like Halo.
    And one of the best games I've ever played is 55 score on metacritic, so reviews is not always what you're gonna think about the game. Better try it. And in my opinion, you're gonna have hours of fun playing Ryse!
  6. Nov 22, 2013
    This might be one of my favorite games to play! It was the first game that I popped in to play when I got my xbox one. The graphics look spectacular! The storyline is great. The graphic kills my favorite part! I would have given it a higher score but the campaign is short.. but after the first three hours of the game you know exactly what to do and I like that! With more DLC to come forThis might be one of my favorite games to play! It was the first game that I popped in to play when I got my xbox one. The graphics look spectacular! The storyline is great. The graphic kills my favorite part! I would have given it a higher score but the campaign is short.. but after the first three hours of the game you know exactly what to do and I like that! With more DLC to come for this game I look forward to the future hopefully a difficulty spike cuz I get thru hack and slash games rather quickly. But if you want quick out of the box fun pick up Ryse Expand
  7. Nov 22, 2013
    I give this game an 8.5. I marked it as a 10 to try to balance out some of the H8erBots that are posting zeros with word-for-word H8er reviews.

Visuals: Stunningly beautiful game. Clearly next-gen graphics. Combat: You can absolutely button mash if you just want to get through the combat. That's not too sophisticated. HOWEVER, if you take the time to learn the combat mechanics, it

Visuals: Stunningly beautiful game. Clearly next-gen graphics.
    Combat: You can absolutely button mash if you just want to get through the combat. That's not too sophisticated. HOWEVER, if you take the time to learn the combat mechanics, it actually has some depth to it. So, not the best, but definitely not the worst.
    Story: Light, but enough to paint the game with some sort of reason to be killin'.
    Gore: Lots of it. Became desensitized pretty quick, but if you are squeamish, looking inside of a dude's arm as you cut it off may be a bit much.
  8. Nov 22, 2013
    A Proper Review.

A Proper Review.

I highly disagree with many of the reviews on here. I think most people are just Crytek haters or PS4 fanboys who are are bitter that they don't have decent launch titles with something unique. This game is simply beautiful and a game-changer. I definitely think this will be a visual benchmark for many futures games to come. Every aspect was crafted with the utmost detail in mind. The sound is exquisite and although short, it should be treated as a movie rather than a game. Consider this is a launch title and strict deadlines are always in place. New hardware, and new mechanics need to be mapped. You don't come out with the best possible creation you can possibly make right out of the gate. That just doesn't happen and should not be expected. For what it is and when it was released. It is a masterpiece. As far as other games in this genre, this one takes the cake in almost all aspects.

Gameplay: all comes down to the user. If you find it repetitive, it is simply down to the fact you are not creative enough to make your own fun and change it up. Go play a Nintendo game if all you care about is gameplay. I had a blast trying to run up my combo, and finding creative ways to land kills; getting my timing just right. The executions were impeccable, and movements almost seemed borderline lifelike.

Graphics: This speaks for itself. I don't think I need to beat around talking about this. People should really consider this in their scores. Rome comes to life.

Environment: Linear, but with all the visuals to keep you immersed. My jaw dropped when I entered the arena and I had a rush of excitement. They pulled off this atmosphere perfectly.

Story: Very movie-like. Entertainment value for me held up throughout the entire game. I was gripped almost the entire time. There aren't many games in this genre (good games) and I'm pretty tired of all the Greek Myth, etc. So going Roman and having an ode to Spartacus got it just right for me. Marius isn't a super hero, but just another character. I appreciated this.

Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 8
    Story: 9
    Overall Experience: 9 Just wish it was longer.

I'll be perfectly honest. I had a blast with this game and I truly think it's worth a play through. It's something you have to say you've at least experienced. So I have trouble understanding all these other reviews. Did they actually play it or are they just taking snippets from mediocre reviews? Let's be real. This is unlike anything you've played on any previous generations. Anyway great work and can't wait to see more.
  9. Nov 22, 2013
    I find it funny how if you click on the name of someone who scored this game a 0 you can see how they gave every Xbone game a 0 and there beloved PS4 games a 10....
  10. Nov 22, 2013
    the visuals are stunning, the graphics are insane
    but the gameplay is just tedious and boring, extremely repetitive and no fun at all
    CryTek might be good at creating ultra visuals, but they totally forgot they are making a video game, not CG movie...
    a 7 hours long cliche, that's what it's all about...
    disappointing, boring, waste of time and money
  11. Nov 22, 2013
    A very very bad game. The graphics are certainly good but the gameplay is incredibly repetitive, tedious and simplistic. Playing Ryze; son of rome feels like a chore twenty minutes in.
  12. Nov 22, 2013
    Was disappointed by this game to be honest.At least it looks nice.The story was predictable,the combat got played out after a while,even though it's parry,bash,slash, execution flow chart of combat is amusing at first it's limited by it realism and the repetitive nature of the combat really cuts this game off at the knees.
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    It felt like I have played this game before. Oh wait I did, except it was the complete opposite of this game. This game has good graphics (to console players), but did they just make terrible gameplay on purpose? Or does the cryengine just suck when it comes to this style of games? Just a linear, boring, from high budget-to low effort. I would rather play Cursed Crusade then this game. AtIt felt like I have played this game before. Oh wait I did, except it was the complete opposite of this game. This game has good graphics (to console players), but did they just make terrible gameplay on purpose? Or does the cryengine just suck when it comes to this style of games? Just a linear, boring, from high budget-to low effort. I would rather play Cursed Crusade then this game. At least that game had a characters that I grew to love and wanted to succeed. Expand
  14. Nov 22, 2013
    Very strongly addictive, so everything looks around. This unusual, very beautiful, unexpectedly brutal game so far the only major project for this console, from which, they say, "smells blockbuster" and perhaps the main reason to buy this console.
  15. Dec 22, 2013
    Coming into the Xbox One and seeing some of the disappointing reviews, I was expecting to see a lackluster hack and slash style game. But a month later, I can't get enough. I would have to say that it was my #1 launch title for the Xbox.

The single player starts out a little slow but starts to really pick up, and that's when you start to see the real intricacies of the fighting. On your second playthrough (which I recommend) you start to get a challenge with the Legendary difficulty. Take it to online and do the multiplayer and you start to see a variety in the gameplay. With the first DLC out and a few more maps cycling through the multiplayer arenas, it feels like a fresh experience again. Love this game and can't wait for future DLC
  16. Jan 2, 2014
    I think that this game is the most underrated game on next-gen so far. The graphics are amazing, and maybe the best of all lauch titles for both consoles.

The story is not perfect, but it is really good! I have seen a lot of people complaining about repetitive gameplay, but it is not. Of course, it could be better, but it is good! Batman did the same and no one complained. I think

I think the cons in this game are the short campaign (about 6 or 7 hours, maybe) and the lack of variety of weapons.
    Multiplayer is great and really fun, and should add some hour of replayabilty for the game.
  17. Mar 11, 2014
    Very good game my favorite xbone game by far and my favorite of any game.. It is superior to everything and should be in the hall of fame for best videogame of all time.. Game reminds me of sonic the hedgehog 2 but with better graphics
  18. Jan 8, 2014
    After spending about 10 hours between the campaign and the Co-Op portions of Ryse: Son of Rome, I've realized something some people don't know how to rate titles. The lack of objectivity and reason go out the window with a lot of people that decide to rate games. That being said, Ryse is absolutely an awesome game. It's drop-dead gorgeous, extremely cinematic, and carries an engagingAfter spending about 10 hours between the campaign and the Co-Op portions of Ryse: Son of Rome, I've realized something some people don't know how to rate titles. The lack of objectivity and reason go out the window with a lot of people that decide to rate games. That being said, Ryse is absolutely an awesome game. It's drop-dead gorgeous, extremely cinematic, and carries an engaging storyline that definitely unfolds nicely as you progress. Combat is a bit rudimentary but it isn't overly boring. Skill progression systems are present but super linear, making you wonder why they put all the effort into developing it if there wasn't any true diversity to the system. Many levels are breathtaking, making me stop at times to just see what an achievement Crytek has on their hands. It's just unfortunate that these levels tend to be overly guided which removes from any adventuring a player might want to experience. The Co-Op is more fun than I anticipated, with a tiered system that will allow you to scale up your "gladiator" as you build up experience, gear, and expertise with the levels themselves. However I'm not certain everyone that tries it out will be in love with it as it feels a bit repetitive at times so the fun could be fairly well sapped with just a few hours of play. That will be up to you to decide should you give Ryse a go. I would easily recommend the game, but I would also say to Crytek and Microsoft Game Studios that they have a real gem on their hands one that would be served better if they had borrowed more from games that obviously inspired the final product here. Fable, Gears of War, Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3 all show themselves in their own way throughout. If I had to offer just one piece of advice to Crytek, it would be "add depth". Adding depth to the world you play through, adding depth to your character customization and development, adding depth to the characters themselves as the grow. Making a character feel like your own is one thing that keeps games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars afloat with dedicated fan bases. Ryse is an unfinished game of the year candidate. I for one hope this is the start of a continuing franchise. Expand
  19. May 25, 2014
    First, the time period is fantastic along with the story line. Absolutely brilliant. The mechanics of the game are so flawless that you forget you are holding a controller. I know there are a lot of complaints of "repetitive" game play but the minute nuances in combat are one of the strongest parts of the game. I would surmise that those who are complaining have yet to make any progress inFirst, the time period is fantastic along with the story line. Absolutely brilliant. The mechanics of the game are so flawless that you forget you are holding a controller. I know there are a lot of complaints of "repetitive" game play but the minute nuances in combat are one of the strongest parts of the game. I would surmise that those who are complaining have yet to make any progress in the arena because all your button mashing will do you no good there. Overall, this game was a fantastic experience and one that I come back to often to try my luck in the arenas. Expand
  20. Nov 21, 2014
    One of the most underestimated game ever!!! Bought it with despect preowned just to try and sell, now it is going to be a very precious item in my gaming library! Will never get rid of this jewel. Graphics is superb, story one of the best (fusion of Gladiator and God of War), great music and so MUCH FUN! Yes, the gameplay is simple, but its cause of fun and enjoyment (remember Streets ofOne of the most underestimated game ever!!! Bought it with despect preowned just to try and sell, now it is going to be a very precious item in my gaming library! Will never get rid of this jewel. Graphics is superb, story one of the best (fusion of Gladiator and God of War), great music and so MUCH FUN! Yes, the gameplay is simple, but its cause of fun and enjoyment (remember Streets of Rage, Dinosaurs vs Cadillacs and such? There was no sidequests or so and the fun level was on the top). Thank you Crytek for such a great game! Expand
  21. Dec 23, 2013
    It's fun and enriching.
    On rails.
    Combo executions.
    In game purchases are the latest fad.
    Buy a bag of gold ala INFINITY BLADE.
    There is still a lot to offer.
  22. Dec 27, 2013
    The graphic is amazing. Cinematic story is sick. And the multiplayer is surprisingly fun. Wish there were more varieties of enemies though. i would definitely buy a sequel
  23. Dec 28, 2013
    This is an absolutely beautiful game. The graphics and detail in this game are absolutely stunning. This game is a tech demo just like killzone shadowfall. This game shows off what the graphics in this game can do. However just like killzone it has last generation gameplay.
  24. Jan 5, 2014
    I was cautious buying this but am extremely pleased I did. It's a beautiful, beautiful game but it's strength is in a truly excellent story. While some may complain that the main campaign is a little short, I thought it was a decent length, as some games do tend to go on a bit these days.

I'd agree that the game can be a bit repetitive, however I was so swept up in the drama that I didn't mind too much. Each level has a very distinctive look and feel which helps. Value is added with the multiplayer as you get to do some great historical recreations in the Coliseum.

This is certainly a worthy introduction to next gen gaming as it's one of the most gorgeous games I've seen. I just hope the same team are working on a more open, Clash of the Titans style game!
  25. Jan 15, 2014
    Great game! Gorgeous graphics and interesting plot! Plays like watching a movie! I have no words, thanks crytek!Great game! Gorgeous graphics and interesting plot! Plays like watching a movie! I have no words, thanks crytek!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Expand
  26. Jan 18, 2014
    First off I dont understand why this go suck low ratings...... I played and beat this game and the only complaint I have is it is too short!!! The graphics are amazing and the story is good.(very to the point) If you are looking for a challenging hack and slash game then this one is it!! Please play the game before you review because it is obvious half these people dont even have the game.
  27. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game had incredible graphics and also had an incredible combat system. But for someone who studies history, I can say the historical accuracy was incredibly out of order and made all the ancient Picts/Britons look like shirtless savages, there was also no barbarian tribe in Scotland that wore bull skulls and happened to be 7 feet tall, and there was no point in time where Boudica rode a war elephant. Nero didn't have any kids either. Commodus wasn't even around during the time of Nero nor was he ever related to the Caesar bloodline. This game wasn't really meant to be historically accurate though, and it had fantasy elements in it which explains why it was historically innacurate. However, If you're into fighting games like God of War, Dynasty Warriors, Spartan total warrior this would be your game. 7/10 for me. I hope you found this review helpful. Expand
  28. Feb 14, 2014
    This game is a sublime game. Tech + history + gameplay.
    The game necesary for a Xbox gamers.
    Repetitive? maybe, but, this game is action in every moments, a history is a second film of gladiator easily.
  29. Jun 11, 2014
    It's a wonderful game! Beautiful battles, amazing graphics and very good cinematics...The only negative is the controls which is in the game's gameplay so it isn't Microsoft's mistake...
  30. Mar 9, 2014
    Fantastic game. Story is extremely compelling and graphics are amazing. Combat can become a little stale but overall does not diminish from the games integrity. Recommended to all who have an xbox one.
  31. Jun 5, 2014
    This game is rated unbelievably inaccurately by people who are paid off by other companies to make other games look better. Ryse: Son of Rome is THE Masterpiece of 2013, and ushers in the next generation of games that we all want so much.
  32. Mar 27, 2014
    The reviews for this game... I don't get it. The graphics, the graphics for such a little box. The Xbox One is the little engine that COULD. My lord, I was enamored when I first fired up my Xbox Won and witnessed splendid visuals that immersed me into the world of Ryse. The beautifully rendered shield, the foliage, the waterfalls, it was too much. I wept a little, because for monthsThe reviews for this game... I don't get it. The graphics, the graphics for such a little box. The Xbox One is the little engine that COULD. My lord, I was enamored when I first fired up my Xbox Won and witnessed splendid visuals that immersed me into the world of Ryse. The beautifully rendered shield, the foliage, the waterfalls, it was too much. I wept a little, because for months and months, people said to me how I got the worst system that's overpriced, that's too gimmicky, that's "bad". I couldn't take it, it built me up, I had thick skin from the endless battles I faced online in various forums. Now today, I feel like victory came my way with Ryse. I watched for hours as I dismembered enemies in stunning HD blood spilling realistically across the battlefield. It was a sight to behold. Later that night, I beat the game and was finally thrilled to have a game that would reign supreme on the internet, ammo if you will for those stupid playstanleys. Finally I looked online and saw an article saying the game was only 900P.
    WHAT!!?? THAT'S **** STUPID!! 900P?!?!? I hate that **** 1/10.
  33. May 12, 2014
    to start off what everyone already know this game looks amazing easily the best looking game ive seen from either console and the voice acting was spot on. I've been really wanting a good rome game that was total war and ryse really satisfied what i was looking for. Now i gave this game a 10/10 because apparently this thread is you like it you give it a decnt score (6-10) if you dont liketo start off what everyone already know this game looks amazing easily the best looking game ive seen from either console and the voice acting was spot on. I've been really wanting a good rome game that was total war and ryse really satisfied what i was looking for. Now i gave this game a 10/10 because apparently this thread is you like it you give it a decnt score (6-10) if you dont like it you give it a 0 or a 1 and thats just not fair as this game doesnt deserve that hate overall myself id give it a 7.5

ok so back to the review besides visuals and dialog while not a ground breaker ryse is a decent start which could be a fantastic series should the dev wish it. Now everyone bashes the combat for being repetitive and easy and yes it largely is, but it is still no less fun just as people enjoy killing zombies in dead rising so i enjoy killing in ryse. The executions are brutal and fun i wish however that you had more control over which one you did as i largely saw the same one repeated. Also the timed key pressings could use a little more complexity. The story was a decent one it certainly kept me entertained and wanting to keep going especially at the ending missions. The missions themselves also were done well they weren't repetitive and toke you though some diverse environments. My complaint about the story was that it felt rushed the last 2-3 missions while it doesn't have to have the 30 hour length of a RPG Ryse's story could've definitely used an extra few missions to flesh out its story and give it a little more depth. Lastly multiplay the co-op matchs in the arena is alot of fun to do and the kinnect voice commands were nice and responsive when needed.

if rumors are true and a squeal to this game is in the works it has the potential to be a huge hit. if CryTek can simply take what they did with this game add more complex combat such as combos and more diverse executions while expanding the story they'd have a winner. As it stands they have a good decent start of the new console era
  34. Jun 27, 2014
    Stunning graphics just an amazing game have had a lot of fun with this game and giving it a score that it definitely deserves can be a bit repetitive at times but overall a solid game.
  35. Feb 2, 2014
    A very strong game, and on top of that insanely hard if you will dare to venture into the centurion/legendary difficulty. The combat is very interesting and quite demanding, while you possibly could just repeat one sequence of actions and eventual (after many reloads) win, if you want to trully excel and score a lot you will need to get busy and creative with your button mashing.
    It must
    It must also be mentioned that the game presentation is simply stunning, from the breath taking graphics, through music and ambient sounds to the voice commands that take you even deeper.
  36. Feb 14, 2014
    Very good story, Very good graphics! Very beatiful and addictive game! At the moment BEST GAME for new generation consoles! There is no better game available today on new generation consoles!
  37. Feb 3, 2014
    First of all, I'd like to say that I am not a fan of the beat'em all genre. Not at all. So when a game brings me to beat it twice, in a genre that I dislike, THAT IS A GOOD GAME. The thing is... What people tend to forget is that EVERY beat'em all game is repetitive. Any game of any genre actually.

So what makes Ryse different ? It is incredibly addictive. The story is amazing,

So what makes Ryse different ?
    It is incredibly addictive.

The story is amazing, every character has its own personality, there is work behind that. A lot. And the universe is completely credible, and though it is fiction, I had no problem believing in every happening story event.

Gameplay side, the experience and character evolution is okay. Very classic, but still, you'll enjoy unlocking everything for your character, specially executions. And the game takes all its sense on Legendary difficulty. It is truly challenging. The AI is nothing like what any developer ever did before, since you'll feel like she's learning from your way of playing.

Graphically, I won't even bother explain how perfect it is. I've never seen such a realistic render. Shaders are just impressive.

Voice acting and all the soundtrack is of great quality.

And here's the conclusion, this game is a masterpiece of art. It is going to draw you all the way in a Roman second century drama. Its realization, and story will keep you from stop playing it.

I'll give it a ten, because I believe there will be a sequel, if it pushes further in character evolution.
  38. Jan 13, 2014
    I bought this game at launch and never played it until this past weekend. I completely expected to load up a turd and turn it off in 20 minutes. I was wrong. I do not understand all the hate and negativity for this game. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's certainly not the worst (Colonial Marines) as many mainstream reviews would have you believe. The graphics areI bought this game at launch and never played it until this past weekend. I completely expected to load up a turd and turn it off in 20 minutes. I was wrong. I do not understand all the hate and negativity for this game. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's certainly not the worst (Colonial Marines) as many mainstream reviews would have you believe. The graphics are simply gorgeous, the gameplay is smooth and the story is addicting. All elements for a great game. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet and the single player is a bit on the short side (6 hours) so kick up the difficulty for a bit more of a challenge. Don't listen to the negative reviews without trying this one for yourself. Expand
  39. Jan 19, 2014
    Ryse is one of the most interesting launch games I've ever played, there are just as many great things about as there are faults. That said, I really enjoyed playing it for the most part, there's a surprisingly good story, it's graphically the most impressive game I've played on all the next gen systems, the audio and overall sound is superb, and killing animations are fluid, vibrant, andRyse is one of the most interesting launch games I've ever played, there are just as many great things about as there are faults. That said, I really enjoyed playing it for the most part, there's a surprisingly good story, it's graphically the most impressive game I've played on all the next gen systems, the audio and overall sound is superb, and killing animations are fluid, vibrant, and brutal. So what breaks a game that has so much good going for it? Simplistic gameplay. While there's nothing wrong with that, 5 - 7 hours of the same core mechanics gets old. It's a game I love to play in bursts and the gameplay is pretty fun then, but after awhile it gets stale. Think of the Batman Arkham games but if you could only use A, X, Y, B, and the right trigger for executions. While the power ups are damn awesome, Ryse succumbs to being too short, and looses interest soon. It's a fun and enjoyable game that I really liked, but it's more of the perfect "rent" kind of game. Expand
  40. Feb 2, 2014
    This game is a great start for the next gen Xbox games. This game has the best looking graphics so far from any next gen game including PS4 titles. The sound is good and the VO is pretty darn good. The story does drag a little but really picks up at the end. The fighting is a little repetitive but it did not bother me that much at all.
    But be warned this is about a 6 hour game. So rent don't buy.
  41. Feb 25, 2014
    Ryse Son of rome was my absolute favorite game to release on the next generation of systems. The Graphics were absolutely breath taking, The story was incredible and even-though the game wasn't very long i absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. I really don't understand the hate the game has been getting because i have none to give. The ending was truly spectacular and i am just happy iRyse Son of rome was my absolute favorite game to release on the next generation of systems. The Graphics were absolutely breath taking, The story was incredible and even-though the game wasn't very long i absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. I really don't understand the hate the game has been getting because i have none to give. The ending was truly spectacular and i am just happy i ignored the critics and picked this up worth every penny! Expand
  42. Jan 9, 2014
    The game was not bad. The graphics are awesome and the game play was fun but the game was very very short. I beat it in about 6 hours. The combat was pretty repetitive but it was still fun. This game started off as a Kinect game and you can tell but they did a good job reverting the game to a traditional control scheme. I hesitated buying the game because I had heard it was so shortThe game was not bad. The graphics are awesome and the game play was fun but the game was very very short. I beat it in about 6 hours. The combat was pretty repetitive but it was still fun. This game started off as a Kinect game and you can tell but they did a good job reverting the game to a traditional control scheme. I hesitated buying the game because I had heard it was so short and I didn't want to pay $60 for a game that short. Now that I finished the game I feel that fear was justified. The multiplayer was pretty fun but I couldn't really get into that much. I honestly feel that the next iteration of Ryse will be a much better game. They'll be 100% focused on the control scheme and they'll be able to add more depth and variety. Expand
  43. Jan 8, 2014
    This is definitely one of those games that requires you to enter with a certain set of expectations. Ryse looks phenomenal, which is possibly an understatement. The graphics are excellent, but what truly makes this game shine are the character animations. The characters move just as in real life, but more importantly, the facial animations truly capture human emotions and convey themThis is definitely one of those games that requires you to enter with a certain set of expectations. Ryse looks phenomenal, which is possibly an understatement. The graphics are excellent, but what truly makes this game shine are the character animations. The characters move just as in real life, but more importantly, the facial animations truly capture human emotions and convey them effortlessly. It's like watching LA Noire, but with better facial animations, dialogue, and better graphics.
    The gameplay is repetitive. There's no getting around that. That aspect makes the game really fun for short stints, but not ideal for extremely long playthroughs. I really enjoyed the ability to choose what I'd receive for my executions though. Concentrating on this aspect allowed me to ignore the repetition and become more strategic. Overall, I'd easily recommend the game if you can get it for $50 or less. It's extremely impressive, and for short to moderate stints, it's a lot of fun. Its not trying to be perfect, and it would be a shame if people skipped over it for that reason. The story alone is quite impressive. Definitely worth your time!
  44. Mar 22, 2014
    This game is a bit repetitive but it is a very good game great story, good multi player. Crytek is known for having very good visual games, an example would be Crysis 2. After playing this game I am now truly looking forward Homefront 2 and see what they will bring.
  45. Jan 7, 2014
    Underrated Game. Honestly. 7-8 would be fair. Play on hardest setting for full enjoyment as the easy settings are too easy- This may be the reason for some of the poor reviews, although I do not believe that a lot of the low scores have even played it (sad I know). I have dabbled with the Gladiator co-op and really liked that too. BAD points- Lack of variety with weapons, sometimesUnderrated Game. Honestly. 7-8 would be fair. Play on hardest setting for full enjoyment as the easy settings are too easy- This may be the reason for some of the poor reviews, although I do not believe that a lot of the low scores have even played it (sad I know). I have dabbled with the Gladiator co-op and really liked that too. BAD points- Lack of variety with weapons, sometimes frustrating camera angles and no PVP. PVP would suit this game well. It's not the a complete game but definitely better than the overall review score suggests Expand
  46. Jan 14, 2014
    The amount of zeros and ones this game has garnered is undeserving. Ryse may not be the best game ever, but it's certainly fun, entertaining and artistic enough to earn a 6.5 or 7.

I'll start with it's flaws - it's gameplay can be repetitive, linear, and not very engaging. At its worst, Ryse is too easy or too hard for all the wrong reasons. You basically learn your character's entire skill/move set within an hour of playing the game and can't really customize Marius' action mechanics for new combos or new attacks. Every fight ultimately becomes a different variation of block-roll-attack-"focus" until marius is able to quicktime someone to death. Furthermore, even though the landscape and game environment is beautiful, it really isn't interactive at all. There are times when the player might ask himself whether the sequence he just participated in might not have been better off as a cutscene. Essentially, the bottom line is that Ryse has gameplay that can be overly directed and repetitive.

However, that doesn't mean the game isn't fun. Even though it was repetitive, ripping apart barbarians was both challenging and fun. Just because you're given the same basic set of moves doesn't mean enemies and fights aren't difficult or interesting. Whereas sometimes the game only asks you to press a button or two, many of the boss battles and fight sequences require the player to quickly react to a series of actions. It was like playing assassin's creed or arkham city except it was actually possible to lose if you didn't keep your actions and blocks precise.

Plus (as everyone has already highlighted) it's a gaming cinematic masterpiece. The graphics and voice acting are superb - even if the story is a little cheesy.
  47. Jan 10, 2014
    Ryse is a beautiful game with terrible game play. Forcing(well strong-arming) the user to use Kinect is not cool and I really hope MS$ doesn't make this a thing going forward. Overall I had fun playing but I would have liked them to mix it up a bit with the combat and controls.
  48. Mar 5, 2014
    Fun Game Overall , The Campaign Was A Bit Short , Finished It In Less Then 10 Hours , Witch Is A Bit Dissapointing , But Still Lots Of Fun To Be Had And Lots Of Collectibles To Collect , The Multiplayer Is Fun But Once Again Limited , The Season Pass Adds Survival Mode Witch Is Fun Too , But The Game Is Just Missing Something , The Graphics Do Look Stunning And Can Be Compared To PS4
  49. Jan 7, 2014
    Ok so i have to admit, the first 4 missions are a bit crap, but mission 5 onwards is just the best storyline ever. Repetetive, but then again, what combat game isnt. Multiplayer is small, boring and theres nothing to do. I highly reccomend seeing this through to the end, because the ending of this game makes the 3 tedious hours previous worth it.
  50. Jan 12, 2014
    Don't get me wrong this game has amazing graphics as do all other crytek games and it's strongly addictive but the gameplay is very repetitive, all you have to do really is press A then Y then X and sometimes there's a dodge and a spear throw but overall a 7.
  51. Jan 16, 2014
    Great launch title, amazing graphics, excellent game-play (although a little repetitive), was it worth the price of a brand new game yes and no. Everyone knows the graphics and detail are amazing, the game-play however a tad bit repetitive, it is mixed up a little bit by adding different enemies or going to different areas. The game in my opinion was too short, it would have been better ifGreat launch title, amazing graphics, excellent game-play (although a little repetitive), was it worth the price of a brand new game yes and no. Everyone knows the graphics and detail are amazing, the game-play however a tad bit repetitive, it is mixed up a little bit by adding different enemies or going to different areas. The game in my opinion was too short, it would have been better if it had more of and RPG style to it and a longer campaign, but it was still enjoyable and some of the most enjoyable moments would have been the cut-scenes, All in all a worthwhile game, maybe just wait for a price drop to pick it up. Expand
  52. Jan 17, 2014
    8.5! The graphics are spectacular. Although the gameplay mechanics have been deemed repetitive, it's super fun! what game isn't repetitive in some degree? This game comes with a decent variety of enemies, and is incredibly satisfying to combo your way through them all (Batman anyone? You know what I mean). The multiplayer is subtle in how addicting the customization of your gladiator is,8.5! The graphics are spectacular. Although the gameplay mechanics have been deemed repetitive, it's super fun! what game isn't repetitive in some degree? This game comes with a decent variety of enemies, and is incredibly satisfying to combo your way through them all (Batman anyone? You know what I mean). The multiplayer is subtle in how addicting the customization of your gladiator is, so you won't find nerds with diamond plated weapons *cough* call of duty crap. The story is challenging and feels like you're in a movie or tv series. I think people were just a little too harsh on this game, for a launch title, hats off to it. Expand
  53. Jan 22, 2014
    Not sure why everyone was ripping on this game so much. Glad to see the user reviews are relatively positive (with the odd person claiming all of us giving it good ratings are MSFT employees, so they have to give it a 0 rating...). Yes the mechanics are simple and yes it wasn't quite long enough for my liking, but I loved the game and loved playing through it. So much so that I actuallyNot sure why everyone was ripping on this game so much. Glad to see the user reviews are relatively positive (with the odd person claiming all of us giving it good ratings are MSFT employees, so they have to give it a 0 rating...). Yes the mechanics are simple and yes it wasn't quite long enough for my liking, but I loved the game and loved playing through it. So much so that I actually started playing through again. Perfecting the combat on higher difficulties and fighting 6 or more guys at a time that are all coming at you is a blast. Not sure why the critics hated on it so much. Expand
  54. Mar 14, 2014
    I always thought this was a good launch game. The graphics are incredible and the gameplay, while simple, is solid and fun (just my opinion). There are quick-time finishers to every kill/combat scenario so if that's not your thing, keep on walking. Personally, l enjoy the finisher animations as well as the facial expressions on the enemy characters as they express pain (kinda dark I guessI always thought this was a good launch game. The graphics are incredible and the gameplay, while simple, is solid and fun (just my opinion). There are quick-time finishers to every kill/combat scenario so if that's not your thing, keep on walking. Personally, l enjoy the finisher animations as well as the facial expressions on the enemy characters as they express pain (kinda dark I guess but tech wise, impressive). The combat, while simple, still has enough variation (timing, button combos, etc) and depth to keep your attention through the story and a well written campaign that scratches the surface of the corruption that eventually caused Rome's downfall.

There is a light RPG-ish system that allows you to unlock abilities and executions and you'll unlock most on the first play through. It has a co-op multiplayer component (2 players) where you fight in the coliseum and keep the crowd entertained. I always enjoyed fighting alongside someone and keeping the crowd cheering through some crazy scenarios. Understand that, when I rate this, I rate it as an adult with a life, not a "hardcore gamer". I have maybe an hour a day to play games and for me, this game is perfect. This is a casual game, it's easy to pick up and play, you can play offline or online, it looks great and has enough depth and variation in the combat to keep things interesting.
  55. Mar 24, 2014
    Ryse is fun, it looks great and plays the same. I only use my XBone for exclusives and this is a must buy. Gore galore and Kinect that seems to work well for a change. Bravo!
  56. Jul 4, 2014
    Let me start out this review by saying this: Ryse Son of Rome is the best looking game I have ever seen. Crytek is known for having amazing graphics with their engine known as CryEngine, but this game takes it to the next level entirely. But do the phenomenal graphics and spectacle make this a great, awesome game? The answer: more or less. In my eyes, Ryse wasn't made to have true next-genLet me start out this review by saying this: Ryse Son of Rome is the best looking game I have ever seen. Crytek is known for having amazing graphics with their engine known as CryEngine, but this game takes it to the next level entirely. But do the phenomenal graphics and spectacle make this a great, awesome game? The answer: more or less. In my eyes, Ryse wasn't made to have true next-gen gameplay or design. It was made to blow you away with the graphics, and show how powerful the Xbox One is. That being said, Crytek didn't try extremely hard on the gameplay. Ryse's combat is a basic hack and slash formula. It keeps you entertained...starting out, that is. As you move on in the campaign, you start to realize that you are going through the same motions over and over again. What makes it worse is that the combat doesn't go on to have depth, which basically means the 2nd level is about the same as the last level. However, it does have a fun aspect to it. There are upgrades, and while they help you slightly, they aren't that big of a deal. The multiplayer of this game was more than great, though. It isn't exactly competitive. I would compare it to the cooperative modes in Halo, like Firefight (excluding gameplay of course). The combat does differ slightly in multiplayer, too. I most likely won't play the multiplayer for till the end of the year, but it will keep me entertained for a few months. Ryse never blew me away with the combat or story. What did blow me away, though, was the constant amazement out of the graphics and the extremely fun multiplayer. Expand
  57. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is an amazing game with great graphics game play and cultural references. only bad thing would be is that i was expecting a skyrim like world and mechanics with quests and open world traversing
  58. Apr 15, 2014
    It is surprisingly a great game regardless of most of reviews out there. Incredible movie-like graphics that come with a decent story.

Gameplay is unfortunately a bit linear but the entire package surprises.

I would give it a 10/10 but I believe it's a bit pricey for only about 10 hours of gameplay.
  59. May 15, 2014
    The games short but super fun and and brutal. Not sure why all the reviewers are being so harsh. The game currently has more playtime than any of my other single player games do.
  60. Apr 28, 2014
    First let me just say I love ancient Rome. Ok that aside I was so stoked when this game was announced and shown. I went and I bought it, I was not disappointed. It was beautiful, fast fluid (somewhat repetitive) combat, excellent story, excellent acting, and of course ancient Rome. The history was off, and some things happen that never did (which being a history buff would normallyFirst let me just say I love ancient Rome. Ok that aside I was so stoked when this game was announced and shown. I went and I bought it, I was not disappointed. It was beautiful, fast fluid (somewhat repetitive) combat, excellent story, excellent acting, and of course ancient Rome. The history was off, and some things happen that never did (which being a history buff would normally drive me crazy), but I looked past it and saw it more as another story in Roman mythology. The game is not flawless though. It does have repetitive combat and executions also but I still enjoy cutting some's leg off and giving me a break from somewhat overwhelming enemies at times. The multiplayer is there and you can see the hard work that went into it, but after a little bit it became kind of lack luster, but I do appreciate the fact that it is there. All and all, it was almost a perfect game for me and I hope others enjoy it as much as I did. Expand
  61. May 13, 2014
    Graphics do not make a game great but Ryse son of Rome was just a beautiful game to play. The campaign was an enjoyable story to follow and not to difficult to play and was a nice change of pace from the typical first person shooter i usually play. Personally i loved the so called "Multiplayer" as well which is really just a co-op mode where you get to slaughter hordes of barbarians. MyGraphics do not make a game great but Ryse son of Rome was just a beautiful game to play. The campaign was an enjoyable story to follow and not to difficult to play and was a nice change of pace from the typical first person shooter i usually play. Personally i loved the so called "Multiplayer" as well which is really just a co-op mode where you get to slaughter hordes of barbarians. My only bad point about this game is that the game doesn't have a lot to do. I really enjoyed this game and i played it until i unlocked all achievements defiantly recommend to anyone who is tired of buying games with little to no single player mode and the graphics are just something else! Expand
  62. Jul 7, 2014
    I must say this game gets an unfair amount of bad reviews. To be short, the one flaw with this game is the shallow combat system.

Best on legendary difficulty.
    Awesome graphics. Fun combat system to master. Epic storyline.

Incredible story of revenge that follows our hero through his campaigns across britania all the way back to the corrupt streets of rome.
  63. Sep 4, 2014
    It's a nice game. A good story mode, a good arena mode. Sadly, the game kinda gets a bit too flooded with the DLC Money and stuff, still, it's a fun game here and there.
  64. Jan 1, 2014
    I read the reviews before I started playing this game and I think that they are giving to this game a lower scored that it deserves. This game has outstanding graphics and it's really enjoyable to play. Besides the story it's really good.
  65. Dec 17, 2013
    My first impressions of this game was anything but good. The characters, the story, the linear gameplay. Apart from

the fantastic looks and the delightful violence, this game seemed to totally iss the target. But I paid for it, so I continued playing. After the first sequence, which is more like a tutorial-session that sets the base of the story, this game really takes a turn

continued playing.

takes a turn for the better. The fighting, which seemed easy and dull, quickly turns into challenging and fun

gameplay. The acting and story, which seemed just lame, all of a sudden becomes really good. I even tried the

kinect-part, where you can give orders to your soldiers by shouting them; it is a LOT faster than holding LB, and at

higher difficulties you need the edge. The giving orders part is not a big part of the game, by the way.

The fighting can almost be compared to Assassins Creed, but it is a lot less forgiving. Ryse is all about timing and situational awareness, the reward for a perfect combo or a double execution makes you really want to master it. Cutting off limbs, crushing heads, impaling and shield smashing. I rarely enjoyed it more. Boy was I wrong about this game.

Multiplayer is gladiator 2 player coop against waves of enemies. Great fun. Win fights, buy better gear and fight on. I can't how long this game will last, but right now it's bang for the buck. A lot more than I'd expect from Crytec.
  66. Dec 8, 2013
    Ryse: Son Of Rome is a game that is quite well done but lacks some features that are integral to a story driven hack and slash. There isn't a lot of innovation when it comes to a Hack and Slash title but you'll find that Ryse combat system is quite dull and repetitive and quickly wears the player out within your first hour of play. Enemies become increasingly predictable in the way thatRyse: Son Of Rome is a game that is quite well done but lacks some features that are integral to a story driven hack and slash. There isn't a lot of innovation when it comes to a Hack and Slash title but you'll find that Ryse combat system is quite dull and repetitive and quickly wears the player out within your first hour of play. Enemies become increasingly predictable in the way that they fight the longer you play it and your own combat style is very limited to a parry, slash, bash and execution. The VO is another aspect of this game I think fell short. From the beginning I was confused and puzzled by the VO in the sense that most of the voices sound very similar if not the same. Regardless of the negatives this game delivered on some key features. The game looks gorgeous and is without a doubt one of the best looking launch titles from either company. The story is intense and well done with a predictable first half of a story matched with an interesting and different second half. The dialogue I thought was well written to create some truly intense moments but was really undersold by the VO. I would recommend this game to a certain type of person. Expand
  67. Jan 7, 2014
    Ryse is underscored. It's really short, it's true, but on gaming history there have been other titles which were short as well and could be as well pointed as repetitive. Those games received more score and sometimes it was attached to its visuals (first Assassin's Creed for example). Ok, we can't compare AC to Ryse, but overall what I mean is that any user will be surprised with RyseRyse is underscored. It's really short, it's true, but on gaming history there have been other titles which were short as well and could be as well pointed as repetitive. Those games received more score and sometimes it was attached to its visuals (first Assassin's Creed for example). Ok, we can't compare AC to Ryse, but overall what I mean is that any user will be surprised with Ryse in-game graphics (be aware of overscan features on tv's they crap the experience!), and its gameplay yeah, falls a bit short, but it mantains the strenght of the combats and the combo feature.

Also, after the campaign you can re-make it again in a higher dificulty level or play the arena mode, which has quite load of options (and will have more eventually), and really adds hours to the game itself.

I think it's a good game, almost a must-have except for some things which are really bad (as for example "hidden" things which aren't really "hidded" (you've got to be dumb if you don't find any of them)). But it doesn't deserves the score given by most magazines. I've played more booring games with more scores on them.
  68. Jan 2, 2014
    I just finished the campaign in Ryse a couple hours ago and I don't really understand all the hate this game is getting. The only reason I can see people giving it a one is if they are trolls or just feel let down as they expected more. I was expecting a broken/boring game based on the reviews I'd read here but it really hooked me and surprised me just how fun the game was. StraightI just finished the campaign in Ryse a couple hours ago and I don't really understand all the hate this game is getting. The only reason I can see people giving it a one is if they are trolls or just feel let down as they expected more. I was expecting a broken/boring game based on the reviews I'd read here but it really hooked me and surprised me just how fun the game was. Straight forward, linear but fun and as others have said it looks amazing. I didn't have a single bug, a single bad camera angle or a single moment that looked glitched or anything, would have been a top game if they had of added some more depth to it and fleshed out the combat system more (although it works well later on in the game)

Ryse is a well made tight hack n slash game. People expecting depth and choices should look elsewhere, people who've enjoyed other hack n slash games in the past will enjoy Ryse. It's quick and simple to get in to but gets more difficult towards the end when you actually need to time your attacks and work out when it's best to use heavy attacks and pushes.

For me Ryse was a fun 10 hours and felt like an updated version of the old hack and slash games I play on my mame cabinet, I'm not entirely sure it's worth full retail price as I don't know how much playability it will hold but it is far from a bad game and is very enjoyable.

I do wish there was more of a penalty when you missed the quick times though, but some people are also missing the fact that to get the max xp from a proper timed hit you need to actually predict which button to press based on the way Marius is moving his body rather than just pushing the blue colour or yellow colour, a lot of people seem to have completely missed this and I wish the game made it more rewarding and obvious that you should be predicting based on if he is moving his sword arm or shield arm.
  69. Nov 24, 2013
    Yes, the gameplay is repetitive, but would you say the same for Batman Arkham Series, Assassin's Creed? No? Probably... Still, you bash you hit, the fights are still the same in these games too after an hours or so. But you get some fun.
    Of course you don't have 200 000 weapons and gadgets with you, haaaaa... So that's what makes a gameplay? Well hello, Rome?
    No it's not the best
    No it's not the best gameplay, yes it's repetitive, does that make it a bad game? No

The graphics are an amazing showcase for what this console/Crytek abilities can do. They are simply the best graphics on all of the lineup games released.

The animations are great, staging is stunning, the story holds, and the co-op is just fun time.
    Disconnect your purist mind that thinks it better than everyone else, and just let it flow, you'll have a good time.
    I wont push it to the 10/9 or 8, but give these guys a chance to work on their gameplay, on extending the campaign, and you may get greatness.

Rome didn't build in one day...
  70. Nov 24, 2013
    We can all agree that the story and visuals are great (seriously, both are very top-notch). The one thing there is a lot of disagreement on is gameplay. You either love it (like me) or you hate it. I didn't think I'd like it after seeing a lot of bad reviews. But now that I've beaten the game and replayed a few levels, I'm really loving it. It was such an awesome feeling setting upWe can all agree that the story and visuals are great (seriously, both are very top-notch). The one thing there is a lot of disagreement on is gameplay. You either love it (like me) or you hate it. I didn't think I'd like it after seeing a lot of bad reviews. But now that I've beaten the game and replayed a few levels, I'm really loving it. It was such an awesome feeling setting up double-executions or perfectly dispatching a circle of 6 barbarians or getting the hit multiplier up to over 50.

The best way to describe combat is a mix between Arkham City and Guitar Hero (you'll know what I mean if you give it a try). It's all about timing. The better you get the timing down, the more flawless you'll fight and the more points you'll rack up to unlock new attributes. Plus throw in quite a few different enemy types and you'll find yourself strategizing each block and execution move. Its an addictive fighting system.

My recommendation to those gamers who are really on the fence about buying this game is to go to YouTube and watch gameplay footage. There is already a lot of footage out there from others in the gaming community. Watch a few minutes of in-game fights. If you think you like what you see, try it. If you get bored after just a few minutes, then you should probably steer clear of this game.
  71. Nov 25, 2013
    With all the ugly reviews, I came so close to blowing this game off. But, that would have been a huge mistake. Ryse and Dead Rising have turned out to be the games I'm playing non-stop. Ryse is an sh1t-ton of fun. Don't try to read too much into it. It's an unapologetic kick-in-the pants Slashville game. Ever wondered what the cross-section of a dude's arm looks like? Look no further. IWith all the ugly reviews, I came so close to blowing this game off. But, that would have been a huge mistake. Ryse and Dead Rising have turned out to be the games I'm playing non-stop. Ryse is an sh1t-ton of fun. Don't try to read too much into it. It's an unapologetic kick-in-the pants Slashville game. Ever wondered what the cross-section of a dude's arm looks like? Look no further. I Venus-de-Milo'd more barbarians than I know what to do with. Play this game! Expand
  72. Nov 25, 2013
    Ryse is quite an astounding game that brings great graphics, music, and story together to create an awe inspiring game. The gameplay is however a drag in the middle of the game. I noticed at the end though all the different variety of opponents that you faced in the game earlier come together to create a challenging task. My real score for the game is 8.3/10 but am putting the score up toRyse is quite an astounding game that brings great graphics, music, and story together to create an awe inspiring game. The gameplay is however a drag in the middle of the game. I noticed at the end though all the different variety of opponents that you faced in the game earlier come together to create a challenging task. My real score for the game is 8.3/10 but am putting the score up to combat the Sony Ponies that are hampering down a game they have never played. Expand
  73. Nov 24, 2013
    Again don't listen to jaded reviewers or the haters. This game is fun has a great story and on the difficulty level I am playing on has fun challenging combat. And it is absolutely GORGEOUS! I went to an EB Games to pick it up and the two boneheads behind the counter actually tried to talk me out of buying it (even though neither of them had played it!). Thank goodness I didn't listenAgain don't listen to jaded reviewers or the haters. This game is fun has a great story and on the difficulty level I am playing on has fun challenging combat. And it is absolutely GORGEOUS! I went to an EB Games to pick it up and the two boneheads behind the counter actually tried to talk me out of buying it (even though neither of them had played it!). Thank goodness I didn't listen to them. I LOVE this game! Expand
  74. Dec 5, 2013
    Ok, so I wasn't gonna buy this one, and fate just threw it on my lap. So I played it.
    Since I had read loads of reviews, I was already expecting something bad. Like, really really bad.
    At the beginning of the game I felt it was an incomplete piece os sh*t, with shallow gameplay that didn't even require me to press buttons at quick time events. I even turned off my console and planned to
    I even turned off my console and planned to sell the game. But, since it was a gift, I decided to at least go through the whole thing one time.
    And you know what? The game is actually kinda cool.
    Executions are not at all varied, but they are very cool-looking and easy to perform, with easy and very responsive controls.
    the skill tree is shallow as hell, period.
    The plot is overall very good, voice acting is competent and of course, graphics are awesome.
    So what I can say is this: Don't get dragged by the negative hype. Give this one a chance.
    It might not be a deep game with lots of options, but it is a good first appearance of a new franchise on a new platform, and it could be greatly improved on future instalments.
    It's certainly not the game we hoped for, and also not the piece of crap others say it is.
  75. Nov 26, 2013
    Honestly? I feel Ryse has gotten some poor reviewing. I feel that the reviewers didn't look deep enough into the game to see that its a game of brutality from back in the Roman Empire. The combat that Crytek gave us is more than enough! This isn't God of War which also is a very repetitive hack and slash game. God of War is also very linear and predictable. It does have puzzles and aHonestly? I feel Ryse has gotten some poor reviewing. I feel that the reviewers didn't look deep enough into the game to see that its a game of brutality from back in the Roman Empire. The combat that Crytek gave us is more than enough! This isn't God of War which also is a very repetitive hack and slash game. God of War is also very linear and predictable. It does have puzzles and a better story sure. I think Ryse is perfect for a launch title, especially a 3rd person action game which is normally on sony consoles. The graphics are amazing and showcase the early stages of what the Xbox One can do. The combat is perfect! Yes, you constantly come up to barbarians over and over again but its still fun to pull off your own combos and executions. There's no magic in the game but why would there be? The focus is perfect! Having Marius go berserk for a few seconds is a cool way too off tough enemies. The boss battles can be a pain because when the boss glows red with a heavy attack, there is no way to block nor dodge it. At least I haven't figured it out yet. I started the game the hard level, which I have found to be extremely challenging! I just think this game should have gotten a hard 8. 90% of the negatives on here are all sony fans mad that this game is not on their console. Because we all know if it was, there would be hell to pay for such poor reviews. I like Ryse especially for a launch title. Its my favorite launch title out of both next gen consoles. I haven't even touched my PS4 since I got this game.... Expand
  76. Dec 7, 2013
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a demonstration of 4th generation CryEngine. By abandoning xbox 360 and PS3, the game has achieved a new level of visuals that is never achieved before. This is definitely the best looking game of 2013. The story is a little bit short. Even after going through the entire game, there is still something that hasn't been told well. But the story is great. The gameplay isRyse: Son of Rome is a demonstration of 4th generation CryEngine. By abandoning xbox 360 and PS3, the game has achieved a new level of visuals that is never achieved before. This is definitely the best looking game of 2013. The story is a little bit short. Even after going through the entire game, there is still something that hasn't been told well. But the story is great. The gameplay is undeniably repetitive because of lacking of new type of enemies, new weapons, and new combat methods. But overall gameplay and control is fluent and solid. I have to say, there are people giving it 10/10 by impressive graphics, voice acting, and solid combat. But this game is not perfect yet. There are a lot of improvements could have been done. So any score over 8 is subjective. Also, some people are focusing more game play and don't care about story. Sometimes they give this game 3 or 4 out of 10. This is also biased and subjective. This game at least is solid in every aspect. Therefore, it at least deserves 6 or 7 out of 10. Thinking of this is the first game only on next gen console, the quality of it deserves 7 out of 10. So this is the reason I gave it 7. Expand
  77. Dec 7, 2013
    Great game, don't listen to the bad reviews. Only reason I didn't give a ten was due to lack of diversity to attack controls. Overall though beautiful graphics really showing what the xbox one will be capable of. Much better than some of the other straight from 360 type ports which have launched This game truely is next gen. Well worth a few run throughs. Just started the arena soloGreat game, don't listen to the bad reviews. Only reason I didn't give a ten was due to lack of diversity to attack controls. Overall though beautiful graphics really showing what the xbox one will be capable of. Much better than some of the other straight from 360 type ports which have launched This game truely is next gen. Well worth a few run throughs. Just started the arena solo gladiator mode which is giving longevity to the title. Top surprise, really enjoyed. Expand
  78. Jan 20, 2014
    Was better than most negative publicity it recieved. I loved feeling like russell crowes maximus oreilious(the gladiator) what a great feeling.... loved the graphics, amazing animations. Hack and slashing fun, combos looked fairly sweet, nice to see what kind of graphics xbone can do. Yes its short and multiplayer was fun but monotonous, super rental, not to purchase.
  79. Nov 26, 2013
    Probably the best looking next gen game so far. I understand that a lot of people are slating this because of the control system but honestly this is no more repetitive that and other hack and slash game. The game has a strong story that once completed left me wanting more. Crytek have done a great job with the game which should have received as lot more praise than most reviews have givenProbably the best looking next gen game so far. I understand that a lot of people are slating this because of the control system but honestly this is no more repetitive that and other hack and slash game. The game has a strong story that once completed left me wanting more. Crytek have done a great job with the game which should have received as lot more praise than most reviews have given it so far. Expand
  80. Nov 23, 2013
    The Ryse reviews are too harsh in my opinion. The game is a little repetitive and the campaign is short, but there's a pretty solid persistence upgrade system and the combat increases in complexity throughout the game. It is similar to the Batman: Arkham games except for the QTE executions. Many enemies you can just attack with combinations of X and Y, sure, but certain enemies you haveThe Ryse reviews are too harsh in my opinion. The game is a little repetitive and the campaign is short, but there's a pretty solid persistence upgrade system and the combat increases in complexity throughout the game. It is similar to the Batman: Arkham games except for the QTE executions. Many enemies you can just attack with combinations of X and Y, sure, but certain enemies you have to "break" their guard first with Y; certain enemies have heavy or quick attacks and you have to "block" with A; "dodge" heavy attacks and roll with B; X is strike; hold X for heavy strike; hold Y for heavy "break" (necessary against more powerful enemies). Tap LT to throw a pila (ranged attack). RB brings up "focus" mode or something which is like every other game's bullet time. There are large enemies that you must dodge and get behind to attack, then other enemies you must block three times in a row before striking, and the list goes on. Boss fights conclude each main level.

All of this is layered on top of "choosing" which category of your character you want to get points in. There are four different categories, which you select with the d-pad. Choices are Health (the better timed the execution, the more health you regain); XP (better time executions more points for upgrades); Focus and Damage, both of which are pretty much pointless I'll admit. But it's still something else to think about during combat and eventaully you get good at performing one execution to restore health, then quickly swapping to XP for your next execution to go buy some upgrades. The last two are pretty much pointless I'll admit that.

As far as the executions, the sheer variety keeps them interesting, especially since they are often contextual based on the environment (kicking a guy off a ledge, using your shield to push a guy into a spike wall, and so on).

And obviously the best part of the game are the graphics, which are as good or better than anything on the other next-gen title right now. Although this is partially due to the fact that the camera is awfully zoomed in so the console doesn't have to render all that much, it is undeniably a stunning game.

Of course it's far from perfect. It breaks immersion when the game has you do a long execution (say, 2 X's and 2 Y's) while barbarians stand around and watch. There's also a series of testudo sequences where you have to guide your men through hails of arrows while counter throwing pilum which aren't that much fun, though they're obviously in there to break up the rest of the combat. And like all the reviews have said, for the variety of enemies, ways to attack, and executions, it can get repetitive. It is also weird that if you press the wrong button during executions, you still complete the execution but get less points. And the campaign is only 8 missions, which lasts 6-8 hours.

If you bought Xbox One and can get Ryse for less than $50, it's probably worth it. I haven't even tried MP yet but have enjoyed SP a great deal. It isn't a genre defining game or anything, but the visuals are there, gameplay is good, and the story is passable as well given strong voice acting and interesting cutscenes.
  81. Nov 25, 2013
    There are a lot of really bipolar reviews for this game, and having played it, I have to say it's getting trashed unfairly. Ryse is a lot of fun. You have to be into the Hack-n-Slash sort of game, but if you are, it's a blast. Freakin' beautiful to look at; decent revenge story; B:A-style combat. All in all, a worthwhile investment for Xbox One owners.
  82. Nov 27, 2013
    This game was awesome. the Campaign was fun but short however worth a second play thru on legendary the online co-op is good as well letting you step into the gladiator areas and level up your gear and special attacks. my favorite of the next gen games so far and I have both PS4 and Xbox One.
  83. Nov 23, 2013
    If you love games with gore and dismemberment you will love this game!
    the game confused me at first but by the end they did a really nice job piecing the story together. the combat reminds me of assassins creed with having to time blocking and attacks, but with much more gore ).
    pros: -difficult enemies (my personal opinoin i like hard games so it adds replayability) -beautiful
    If you love games with gore and dismemberment you will love this game!
    pros:
    -beautiful exicutions
    -solid combat system
    -keeps a steady framerate for almost all the time
    - facial features and graphics are insane
    -very graphic ending

cons:
    -i found the boss fights kind of easy (but has awesome cutscenes)
    -war elephants could've been cooler
    -i could see it being repetitive after multiple playthroughs
    -shortish campaign (took me about 10 hours)

the game is definitely worth playing and beating. i havent tried the multiplayer yet but now i beat the game im gonna try it. i dont understand the low ratings when this game doesnt get any glitches and feels underated it feels polished and finished but i hope for some type of sequel!
  84. Nov 24, 2013
    I just finished Ryse and im just blown away. I really loved it and im playing through it again on legendary. The combat for me is fun. I never get tired of whipping my opponent through the air and dismembering him as he falls down (just one example of tons of animations the developers have created). The brutality of the out come of a perfect parry and fighting several opponents at once isI just finished Ryse and im just blown away. I really loved it and im playing through it again on legendary. The combat for me is fun. I never get tired of whipping my opponent through the air and dismembering him as he falls down (just one example of tons of animations the developers have created). The brutality of the out come of a perfect parry and fighting several opponents at once is rewarding (you can't see that finisher animation if you get hit or keeping slashing without looking out for prompts). The only gripe I have is that the enemies repeat themselves so you end up fighting the same looking dude a lot of times or even two at once.
    Multiplayer is fun as heck. Character development for the campaign is a bit shallow but multiplayer's leveling up is addicting and being able to upgrade your character with gold is well done (although micro-transactions cheapen the feel a bit). Im confused about reviewers giving it such a low score but you really must try it. I guess perhaps being a fan of roman lore helped me get into it much more than others.
  85. Nov 25, 2013
    This game is awesome. The reviewers have no idead what they are talking about. Awesome graphics, story and gameplay. The combat works better than any other game.
  86. Nov 26, 2013
    Personally I don't understand the hate being generated towards this amazing game. The game play is challenging and is not repetitive. I can't understand why a game that has the same combat mechanics of the Batman Arkham series and Assasins Creed would score so low. Great great game don't believe the misinformation being spread to the contrary.
  87. Nov 24, 2013
    IGNORE 1.0 scores. They are kids or Sony fans obviously.

IGNORE 1.0 scores. They are kids or Sony fans obviously.

Contrary to popular opinions, this games combat system is incredibly fun and has a hidden value to it that only time can discover; like deflecting an arrow with my shield and watching that arrow ricocheting into an enemies stomach. Folks there's much to be learned and enjoyed about this games combat system. There's strong attacks which causes you to lung at opponents to strike with sword or shield, there's normal shield bash and sword strikes, rolling, blocking, etc. Each attack can be cancelled at any time to escape into a roll like as if you were faking your opponent out; you must learn to finesse. You can lure enemies into traps in the gladiator arena. The scenery in the gladiator arena is constantly shifting and adding new options for entertaining the crowd with combat. You can time the quick time events or skip them all together, you can time them to get double kill finishers or even to kick someone into a fire pit. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS GAME GOT LOW REVIEWS. I Absolutely disagree. I suppose some people just don't know the beauty of this game because they didn't try it long enough to figure out how deep the fighting system is. Once you learn how to really fight and use your environments, it gets so fun and has a ton of replay value. This game also serves as an incredible foundation for what's to come. Imagine a sequel! 9.0 all the way. 1 point off for things like no offline multiplayer.
  88. Nov 25, 2013
    This is a fun hack-and-slash. The combat is clearly inspired by Batman:Arkham it relies more on timing, counters and combos than button-mashing and roll-dodging. This makes it feel sort of like a long series of QTEs, so if that's not your cup of tea, so be it. I don't think it deserves the slew of negative reviews; the game clearly has a vision and executes it well, though I think a fewThis is a fun hack-and-slash. The combat is clearly inspired by Batman:Arkham it relies more on timing, counters and combos than button-mashing and roll-dodging. This makes it feel sort of like a long series of QTEs, so if that's not your cup of tea, so be it. I don't think it deserves the slew of negative reviews; the game clearly has a vision and executes it well, though I think a few small changes would have made that vision a lot more clear, and possibly more fun for some of the haters. For instance, in Batman games, the action speeds up as a combo continues and you enter flow mode; in Ryse, on the other hand, combos continue at the same somewhat plodding pace, interrupted by even slower execution QTEs. And the plethora of currency systems and scores is impossible to fathom, especially in the middle of combat where you end up having no good visual feedback about how well you're performing even though the information is there, it's in words like "Soldier Execution!" which would have worked better as stars or icons or noises or, well, just about anything. The campaign story is well acted I am amazed at how lifelike the performance capture is and feels like a B-movie ripoff mashup of Gladiator (2000) and Clash Of The Titans (1981) which means that compared to most video game stories it's Moby Dick. Expand
  89. Dec 3, 2013
    Is this the best game made? No. However, it also is not the worst game made. I love how people complain it is repetitive. EVERY game made is repetitive, including MMOs. The fights feel like they were going for a Batman: Arkham (et al) feel to them and they were able to get the fluid part down.

This game was made with eye candy in mind. The scenery and environments were incredible. The people's expressions and body movements were really good as well. The details that you can see make you want to stop and just look around. It is a really good launch title that shows off what next gen is going to be like (and from here it will only get better). The atmosphere from the sounds were incredible as well. They also had top notch voice acting (when there was actually speaking).

Do I wish there was more to the game? A little. I wish they would have fleshed the story out a little more, it was pretty good but it seems to be a little short.

This game is kind of like Knack in that people are either going to hate it or they will really enjoy it.
  90. Jun 14, 2014
    The more I play Ryse: Son of Rome, the more I loathe its stupidity, its love of gory violence like it's something cool, and stupid map layouts. "Kill the barbarians" seems to be the only mission.
  91. Dec 2, 2013
    What's with all the hate? I had low expectations for a fighting game made by Crytek, who in my opinion have always fallen well short on the gameplay front, but I had some fun with this game. The combat isn't especially deep, but it works well. I had fun just flying around the screen mixing up attacks and multi-character executions. I thought the execution mechanic coupled with d-padWhat's with all the hate? I had low expectations for a fighting game made by Crytek, who in my opinion have always fallen well short on the gameplay front, but I had some fun with this game. The combat isn't especially deep, but it works well. I had fun just flying around the screen mixing up attacks and multi-character executions. I thought the execution mechanic coupled with d-pad selection of bonus types was rather elegant. and the "look & feel" of the combat is excellent cameras, contextual executions, sounds and gore all presented really well. The entire game, in fact, is incredibly beautiful. Audio and visual art direction both felt careful crafted throughout the experience. Characters and dialog were reasonably solid, and the story was interesting enough to keep my playing. It was as bold move for Crytek to leave their safe zone of shooters, and it's worth some praise.

If you're looking for an entertaining story-driven single player experience with eye-popping visuals, a pretty solid story, and brutal albeit simplistic combat, Ryse is definitely worth checking out.

Solid 7, 7.5 from me.

To give this game a 1 is indicative of the overall internet crybaby/fanboy facebook attitude of overreacting to everything either 100% OMG CITIZEN CANE OF VIDEO GAMES!1!!, or 0% COMPLETE GARBAGE OMGWTF.
  92. Dec 9, 2013
    In short, Ryse Son of Rome is baisicly a tech demo of how good the Xbox One can preform graphicly. And trust me, this game looks damn good! Cyrtek have done a fantastic job of creating lush enviroments. The forests inpaticualer are amazing. However, Ryse doesn't do so well in the gameplay department. It baisicly comes down to generic button mashing, and despite it being extremely flashey,In short, Ryse Son of Rome is baisicly a tech demo of how good the Xbox One can preform graphicly. And trust me, this game looks damn good! Cyrtek have done a fantastic job of creating lush enviroments. The forests inpaticualer are amazing. However, Ryse doesn't do so well in the gameplay department. It baisicly comes down to generic button mashing, and despite it being extremely flashey, it just doesn't have any substance and ends up being shallow, repetitive and boring. COME ON!!! This is next gen!!! We want and demand fresh new ideas, not just graphics. The game is also way to easy, taking me around six hours to complete. There are sections in the game that go away from the hack and slash, but again these are generic, boring and shallow. The one good thing about the combat is how fast and fluid it is, and how good and detailed the enemy( in fact all character models in the game are brilliant) character models look. One positive thing I can say about Ryse is how spectacualer the story is. I was genuinely surprised. At the E3 demo, I thought that Ryse was going to be a generic hack and slash with a cliché story, and while on gameplay terms that's true, the story is the complete opposite. Its handelled with care, and has some top notch voice acting. The story never feels disorientate, even in the constant flashbacks. Last we have the two player multiplayer, which can be dynamic, but ultimately ends up being( again) generic and boring. Its a shame, because Ryse could have been so much more if only the gameplay was on par with all the other aspects of the game. Expand
  93. Dec 26, 2013
    I'll start with the single player. The story is actually confusing (as most Crytek games are) until about halfway through. I didn't actually see the ending coming, and anyone who played and was paying attention probably didn't see the ending coming either. I immediately dismiss anyone's review saying it was expected or predictable.

((SPOILER ALERT: It turns out you play the main

((SPOILER ALERT: It turns out you play the main character caught in a game between two gods which is resulting in the ruin of Rome.))

Based loosely on actual history (characters are real people, but not accurate in region or time), you end by becoming the revenge-bent Damocles taking on the royalty of Rome, whose bad decisions might lead to it's demise. The "quick-time events" aren't as bad as people say, and you actually do have to pay attention to the people attacking you, so it's not quite a button mashing hack/slash as much as it is timing and attention. It can be actually very challenging but yes, agreed it does get a little repetitive in terms of combat.

Multiplayer is pretty fun, but does get old after a few hours of playing. This has been a game I swap between COD (the only other game I have right now) periodically and usually crank through a few levels of multiplayer after having beaten the single player. It starts fairly slow I admit, but once you understand how to level up your player, you'll be hooked for good hour-long matches. If you have a friend to help that's even more fun, otherwise you get paired with someone random, which can be good/bad depending.

I really enjoyed this game as a console-release show-off because they went out of the way to put in the various new tricks: vibes in the triggers, kinect commands (which work well as long as you enunciate) and of course, those pretty amazing graphics.

Overall, I said 8/10. It's not a perfect score for two reasons: gameplay does need a little more variety and multiplayer grind is sorta outrageous (getting to level 100 will take FOREVER).

I imagine this might be a title much like Assassin's Creed, where the first one was visually stunning but the gameplay was just a bit too repetitive. If the make future Ryse games, I hope they really add more to the game in terms of interactions with your surroundings, maybe make the character do more... etc. etc.

Hope this review helps! I think it's worth a play (especially once the returns start coming in and you can get it for cheap).
  94. Nov 23, 2013
    great graphics, nice cinematics, a dreat game for you to buy if you have a Xbox one is a must at this lauch time, its very violent, is not a game for kids
  95. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is Gorgeous. whether you are fighting in ancient Rome or in the Swamps the detail to this game is out of this world. It is also really fun game to play. I recommend playing on legendary that way the AI doesn't stand around and wait for you to finish slaying their buddies. the combat style while simple has to have perfect timing on the harder modes which makes the perks helpfulThis game is Gorgeous. whether you are fighting in ancient Rome or in the Swamps the detail to this game is out of this world. It is also really fun game to play. I recommend playing on legendary that way the AI doesn't stand around and wait for you to finish slaying their buddies. the combat style while simple has to have perfect timing on the harder modes which makes the perks helpful later in the game. I would recommend this game purely because of the graphics and story but the gameplay is actually quite good. Hope this helps others. Expand
  96. Nov 25, 2013
    Seriously, what do people expect from a game?? This is a launch game for the Xbox One and an experience i will never forget. Imagine you are the main character in Gladiator or 300. You are in your own blockbuster. This is a showcase for what the Xbox One can offer and i was so impressed. Why does every game need to be so complicated that you just cant enjoy it for what it is?

The combat

The combat relies on parrying your opponents then countering with your sword or shield charging and then finishing your foe with the most amazing executions that never gets boring. During these combos, you switch to what you can gain per execution, whether it be health/damage/focus/XP. Combat never got dull for me because the battles were so epic, the scale was huge and just alot of fun.

For a launch game that can showcase what the Xbox One has to offer, this game blew me away. This is what launch games should be about, and a must recommend if you are a fan of Gladiator or 300 or Greek/Roman history.
  97. Nov 25, 2013
    This is my PERSONAL opinion, and I think everyone should play the game before judging it.

I was disappointed at early reviews myself and almost cancelled my pre-order. Went ahead and jumped in and have really enjoyed the game. The story could be better, but it is good and somewhat deep if you really break it down. The game play does have a few quirks about it, but once you iron

The game play does have a few quirks about it, but once you iron those out (or get used to them) it's a lot of fun. Caring it into the co-op with a friend is even better. Hopefully a sequel or another game follows this in a few years, because I would love to see the improvements.

Remember it was publicly announced that this game was a planned 360 game originally, then they changed it mid-development. So seeing what they can do with the goal in mind of being on the XBOX One to start will be awesome.
  98. Nov 22, 2013
    Ive read a lot of reviews saying this game is bad, but it isn't all bad. The only thing that I can admit it does wrong is the length of the game which I clocked in about 7 hours worth. The gameplay is amazing watching the executions never gets old, the story is good as well maybe not the best, but you tell its trying to be something different. I loved this game and i loved how it looked noIve read a lot of reviews saying this game is bad, but it isn't all bad. The only thing that I can admit it does wrong is the length of the game which I clocked in about 7 hours worth. The gameplay is amazing watching the executions never gets old, the story is good as well maybe not the best, but you tell its trying to be something different. I loved this game and i loved how it looked no matter where you are in it. A great first game on the xbox one. Don't judge it on the bad reviews try it for yourself and I'm pretty sure you'd love it as well. Expand
  99. Nov 24, 2013
    It's not really that bad. The gameplay is repeative, yes, but the graphics are phenomenal and the setting is quite great. If you enjoyed movies like Gladiator and 300 you will definitely enjoy this one
  100. Nov 22, 2013
    So I am a huge fan of this type of setting in a game, Ryse is beautiful, and offers some of the best graphics I have seen in console gaming so far I haven't gotten a chance to fully play this game, so i cant come to the same conclusions as some of you that have had a full play through. however from what i have played of it, it seems very repetitive, the combat is very cool, allot of coolSo I am a huge fan of this type of setting in a game, Ryse is beautiful, and offers some of the best graphics I have seen in console gaming so far I haven't gotten a chance to fully play this game, so i cant come to the same conclusions as some of you that have had a full play through. however from what i have played of it, it seems very repetitive, the combat is very cool, allot of cool executions, and if you love a gory game, this is definitely the game for you, but from what i played it seemed more like a demo then a full game, it just wasnt complex at all in any form, and I just cant justify spending the new release price for this game, IMHO if you are interested in ryse, you should wait for a price drop. otherwise you are going to be disappointed with what you get for the money. Expand
  101. Nov 24, 2013
    Absolutely awesome game. Combat is simple to start and a bit of a challenge to master. Definitely worth the $60 I spent on it.

Single player length was short, but it had a great story. Much better than the cod single player campaigns. The multiplayer is basic, but a lot of fun, especially with a friend. Setting up cool finishing moves and ranking up your character for gear leads

The multiplayer is basic, but a lot of fun, especially with a friend. Setting up cool finishing moves and ranking up your character for gear leads to hours of fun. I'll probably sink a good 30+ hours into the game. That makes it well worth the money for me.

1. Sep 8, 2014
    Ryse is a bit of a marmite game, if you are looking for a great gaming experience that takes forever to perfect then Ryse is not for you. If you are interested in a Roman interactive movie with a solid story line then I’d say give it a shot.
    Beautiful but stale, boring, shallow and lacking in variation.
  3. Sep 4, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a really good looking game, but at the same time incredible stupid. Thanks to the graphics and the amount of brutal combat the adventure managed to entertain, at least for a bit. If you find Ryse on sale it can be worth a closer look, but for a full price game it’s a disappointment.