5.8

1. Dec 15, 2013
    Definitely worth the purchase. I held out for so long because of the short campaign but the gameplay and graphics make up for it. Very cinematic game and the gladiator mode is fantastic
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    All style and no substance. Ryse looks superb, however there's nothing to keep you hooked or pull you back in. The plot is thin and cliche with every character adopting a very one-dimensional motivation. The gameplay is extremely repetitive. It looks good, and in short bursts can be enjoyable, but play it for an length of time and it becomes very tedious. Campaign is also very short (a worrying trend in the industry today). The co-op mode helps to flesh out the game and having a friend with you always adds to the experience but, unfortunately, the combat is still far too simple.

Only worth a purchase if you're a fan of the setting or you wait for a price drop down the line. Truth is, there isn't much here besides visuals and with far better launch titles available I would avoid it.
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    A Proper Review.

I highly disagree with many of the reviews on here. I think most people are just Crytek haters or PS4 fanboys who are are bitter that they don't have decent launch titles with something unique. This game is simply beautiful and a game-changer. I definitely think this will be a visual benchmark for many futures games to come. Every aspect was crafted with the utmost
    detail in mind. The sound is exquisite and although short, it should be treated as a movie rather than a game. Consider this is a launch title and strict deadlines are always in place. New hardware, and new mechanics need to be mapped. You don't come out with the best possible creation you can possibly make right out of the gate. That just doesn't happen and should not be expected. For what it is and when it was released. It is a masterpiece. As far as other games in this genre, this one takes the cake in almost all aspects.

Gameplay: all comes down to the user. If you find it repetitive, it is simply down to the fact you are not creative enough to make your own fun and change it up. Go play a Nintendo game if all you care about is gameplay. I had a blast trying to run up my combo, and finding creative ways to land kills; getting my timing just right. The executions were impeccable, and movements almost seemed borderline lifelike.

Graphics: This speaks for itself. I don't think I need to beat around talking about this. People should really consider this in their scores. Rome comes to life.

Environment: Linear, but with all the visuals to keep you immersed. My jaw dropped when I entered the arena and I had a rush of excitement. They pulled off this atmosphere perfectly.

Story: Very movie-like. Entertainment value for me held up throughout the entire game. I was gripped almost the entire time. There aren't many games in this genre (good games) and I'm pretty tired of all the Greek Myth, etc. So going Roman and having an ode to Spartacus got it just right for me. Marius isn't a super hero, but just another character. I appreciated this.

Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 8
    Story: 9
    Overall Experience: 9 Just wish it was longer.

I'll be perfectly honest. I had a blast with this game and I truly think it's worth a play through. It's something you have to say you've at least experienced. So I have trouble understanding all these other reviews. Did they actually play it or are they just taking snippets from mediocre reviews? Let's be real. This is unlike anything you've played on any previous generations. Anyway great work and can't wait to see more.
  4. Ls6
    Nov 22, 2013
    Brilliant from start to finish. I encourage everyone reading these reviews to look at the profiles of those giving this game a 0. They poorly rate all xbone games and give ps4 games 10s
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    I give this game an 8.5. I marked it as a 10 to try to balance out some of the H8erBots that are posting zeros with word-for-word H8er reviews.

Visuals: Stunningly beautiful game. Clearly next-gen graphics.
    Combat: You can absolutely button mash if you just want to get through the combat. That's not too sophisticated. HOWEVER, if you take the time to learn the combat mechanics, it
    actually has some depth to it. So, not the best, but definitely not the worst.
    Story: Light, but enough to paint the game with some sort of reason to be killin'.
    Gore: Lots of it. Became desensitized pretty quick, but if you are squeamish, looking inside of a dude's arm as you cut it off may be a bit much.
  6. Nov 22, 2013
    Endless Fun.

I got this game at midnight release and i beat the game already. The graphics are astonishing and the story is phenomenal. 9/10 The reviewers are obviously Sony Fanboys
  7. Nov 23, 2013
    If you love games with gore and dismemberment you will love this game!
    the game confused me at first but by the end they did a really nice job piecing the story together. the combat reminds me of assassins creed with having to time blocking and attacks, but with much more gore ).
    pros:
    -difficult enemies (my personal opinoin i like hard games so it adds replayability)
    -beautiful
    exicutions
    -solid combat system
    -keeps a steady framerate for almost all the time
    - facial features and graphics are insane
    -very graphic ending

cons:
    -i found the boss fights kind of easy (but has awesome cutscenes)
    -war elephants could've been cooler
    -i could see it being repetitive after multiple playthroughs
    -shortish campaign (took me about 10 hours)

the game is definitely worth playing and beating. i havent tried the multiplayer yet but now i beat the game im gonna try it. i dont understand the low ratings when this game doesnt get any glitches and feels underated it feels polished and finished but i hope for some type of sequel!
  8. Nov 23, 2013
    I had a great time playing this game. It looks absolutely beautiful, I enjoyed it's story and while I can see how the combat might get somewhat repetitive for me the whole time I was playing it was still fun and didn't get old even as I got to the end of the game.
  9. Nov 23, 2013
    Really enjoyed my time and the game. Sure it might be repetitive this is a beat them all, but learn how to play it and you'll spend definitely a good time. Next time a little bit longer story mode will make it 9.
  10. Nov 23, 2013
    I happen to love this game. Graphics are amazing as everyone can see. I love hack and slash games games. Ryse is simply a great pick up and play game. On harder settings its a lot less of a button masher. I happen to love the QTE in games. I enjoyed them in all the other games that had QTEs. I knew this game was going to get hacked and slashed but for people that are fans of the genre, its a really great and fun game. Expand
  11. Nov 23, 2013
    So I've played it for about 14 hours now and i really like it! The graphics are very good (by my high end pc standards). The gameplay is fun but too easy. The finishers look awesome! The multiplayer is a nice coop experience though also too easy (hopefully the challenge editor will change that). The only flaw im my opinion is that its a bit short on content. More enemy types and multiplayer modes would have been nice. Expand
  12. Nov 23, 2013
    great graphics, nice cinematics, a dreat game for you to buy if you have a Xbox one is a must at this lauch time, its very violent, is not a game for kids
  13. Nov 23, 2013
    I don't get the hate.i really enjoy this game.its a hack n slash not rpg.so I'm fine without major depth.it was fun.didnt feel repetitive. No worse than the goons in an arkham game anyway.sure it's linear but no more than devil my cry and those are good games.i read reviews that you are attacked by enemies one at a time but this never happened.maybe in easy mode it does.didnt check.and the counter system is akin to arkham and that game also counters hits even if they're a hair away and no one complained .Every game doesn't need major deep character development. Sometimes it's just fun to stab dudes dressed like a roman.i play a lot of games and have played much worse games with better reviews.this game was a lot of fun. Expand
  14. Nov 23, 2013
    I don't usually spend time writing reviews, but I had to sound off on this game. I've finished the campaign and played several multiplayer matches in the Colosseum. If you're on the fence about buying this after looking at some of the reviews by the "experts" out there, don't be. This game is one of the most AMAZING games I've ever played. It is just epic in every sense of the word. It draws you in in a way that few games do and is super fun--especially the better you get at combat. And the graphics...GOOD GOD. You sit back on some of the levels, and it's like you're playing a movie. It's just astonishing.

The biggest gripe I see from critics is that the gameplay is just button mashing and that the gameplay has no depth. I would say put it on a high difficulty setting and see how far you get button mashing. Yes, Crytek has it where newbies can button mash through the lowest difficulty setting just to eventually finish the game so they don't get frustrated, but as far as I'm concerned the same can be said of most games. As far as the depth of combat, if you actually take the time to learn and explore the combat system it is about as good as you're possibly going to do for a "sword and sandals" game like this. If you don't take the time to learn any of it, then it can appear deceptively simple. But again that also can be said of most games. If you want to actually play the game as intended and learn the combat system, something I don't think a lot of the reviewers took the time to do, it is absolutely bad a&%, fun, and addictive.

If you have an Xbox One or are getting an Xbox One, I can't recommend this game highly enough. It's awe-inspiring. And a heck of a lot of fun. I don't know why some of the critics decided to pick on this game--maybe it was the so-called "disastrous" E3 demo with quick time events (which I still thought looked amazing), the fact that it started out as a Kinect title and went through development hell and morphed into a different game than it started out as, or just the hype and how high expectations were for it--but in any case they got this one wrong. It's close to a masterpiece.

Graphics: 4 stars Awe-inspiring. You've never seen anything like it. Truly next gen.
    Story: 4 stars Very cool story and a brilliant way it is presented reminiscent of the Call of Duty series.
    Sound: 4 stars Terrific sound effects. Beautiful soundtrack. I haven't checked out who the composer was, but it almost has a Hans Zimmer Gladiator feel to it.
    Gameplay: 4 stars Play the game the right way as it was intended and learn the combat system. It makes everything more fun and enjoyable. And addictive.
  15. Nov 24, 2013
    Just finished the campaign. I thought it was great! Amazing graphics, excellent voice work, and I actually liked the gameplay too. Yes, it repeats itself, but amp up the difficulty, work on chaining combos, and perfect your double executions--there is plenty of strategy and variety. Highly recommend.
  16. Nov 24, 2013
    I created an account just to review this game. I do not think it is a 10 by any means, however with so many people unfairly scoring it 5 and below I figured this was only fair. I would say it is a 6.5 game and a lot of these low scores from "reputable" gaming sites is disheartening, and unfair to the consumers and the games creators and staff. I thoroughly enjoyed Ryse and will continue to play it and show it off. Expand
  17. Nov 24, 2013
    I really don't see why everyone is having such problems with this game.. it really deserves more than a 60.. It looks amazing, gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but its gruesome and actually fun..
  18. Nov 24, 2013
    IGNORE 1.0 scores. They are kids or Sony fans obviously.

Contrary to popular opinions, this games combat system is incredibly fun and has a hidden value to it that only time can discover; like deflecting an arrow with my shield and watching that arrow ricocheting into an enemies stomach. Folks there's much to be learned and enjoyed about this games combat system. There's strong attacks
    which causes you to lung at opponents to strike with sword or shield, there's normal shield bash and sword strikes, rolling, blocking, etc. Each attack can be cancelled at any time to escape into a roll like as if you were faking your opponent out; you must learn to finesse. You can lure enemies into traps in the gladiator arena. The scenery in the gladiator arena is constantly shifting and adding new options for entertaining the crowd with combat. You can time the quick time events or skip them all together, you can time them to get double kill finishers or even to kick someone into a fire pit. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS GAME GOT LOW REVIEWS. I Absolutely disagree. I suppose some people just don't know the beauty of this game because they didn't try it long enough to figure out how deep the fighting system is. Once you learn how to really fight and use your environments, it gets so fun and has a ton of replay value. This game also serves as an incredible foundation for what's to come. Imagine a sequel! 9.0 all the way. 1 point off for things like no offline multiplayer. Expand
  19. Nov 24, 2013
    Yes, the gameplay is repetitive, but would you say the same for Batman Arkham Series, Assassin's Creed? No? Probably... Still, you bash you hit, the fights are still the same in these games too after an hours or so. But you get some fun.
    Of course you don't have 200 000 weapons and gadgets with you, haaaaa... So that's what makes a gameplay? Well hello, Rome?
    No it's not the best
    gameplay, yes it's repetitive, does that make it a bad game? No

The graphics are an amazing showcase for what this console/Crytek abilities can do. They are simply the best graphics on all of the lineup games released.

The animations are great, staging is stunning, the story holds, and the co-op is just fun time.
    Disconnect your purist mind that thinks it better than everyone else, and just let it flow, you'll have a good time.
    I wont push it to the 10/9 or 8, but give these guys a chance to work on their gameplay, on extending the campaign, and you may get greatness.

Rome didn't build in one day...
  20. Nov 24, 2013
    We can all agree that the story and visuals are great (seriously, both are very top-notch). The one thing there is a lot of disagreement on is gameplay. You either love it (like me) or you hate it. I didn't think I'd like it after seeing a lot of bad reviews. But now that I've beaten the game and replayed a few levels, I'm really loving it. It was such an awesome feeling setting up double-executions or perfectly dispatching a circle of 6 barbarians or getting the hit multiplier up to over 50.

The best way to describe combat is a mix between Arkham City and Guitar Hero (you'll know what I mean if you give it a try). It's all about timing. The better you get the timing down, the more flawless you'll fight and the more points you'll rack up to unlock new attributes. Plus throw in quite a few different enemy types and you'll find yourself strategizing each block and execution move. Its an addictive fighting system.

My recommendation to those gamers who are really on the fence about buying this game is to go to YouTube and watch gameplay footage. There is already a lot of footage out there from others in the gaming community. Watch a few minutes of in-game fights. If you think you like what you see, try it. If you get bored after just a few minutes, then you should probably steer clear of this game.
  21. Nov 25, 2013
    Seriously, what do people expect from a game?? This is a launch game for the Xbox One and an experience i will never forget. Imagine you are the main character in Gladiator or 300. You are in your own blockbuster. This is a showcase for what the Xbox One can offer and i was so impressed. Why does every game need to be so complicated that you just cant enjoy it for what it is?

The combat
    relies on parrying your opponents then countering with your sword or shield charging and then finishing your foe with the most amazing executions that never gets boring. During these combos, you switch to what you can gain per execution, whether it be health/damage/focus/XP. Combat never got dull for me because the battles were so epic, the scale was huge and just alot of fun.

For a launch game that can showcase what the Xbox One has to offer, this game blew me away. This is what launch games should be about, and a must recommend if you are a fan of Gladiator or 300 or Greek/Roman history.
  22. Nov 25, 2013
    I really am enjoying this game. I am almost done with the single player campaign and have played a bunch of multiplayer. The single player campaign is very well done and fun but it is short. The main complaint seems to be the repetitive nature of the combat and it is pretty much the same throughout the whole game but that is fine since it is enjoyable. Enemies change as the game goes on and they get more difficult but your abilities stay relatively the same. Remember to unlock the execution stuff as that adds some diversity. Increase the difficulty and it gets much much better. The game really shines in multiplayer where the number of enemies increases.

pros:
    ----------
    Great story (albeit a little short)
    Great graphics (you can really see emotion in characters faces)
    Great voice acting
    Fun multiplayer which also can be challenging
    Dynamic multiplayer is interesting
    Very Spartacus (Tv show) feeling

cons:
    ----------
    Too short sp campaign for a full priced title
    No variety in weapons (especially in multiplayer gladiatorial arena combat)
    Booster packs contain items (multiplayer only) which aren't all that interesting.
    Level up system (single player) is a little confusing
    Some of the alternative modes in sp (catapult stuff, human shield wall blocking arrows) lacked challenge
  23. Nov 25, 2013
    Just like a lot of the other reviewers I see writing on this game below, I think it's getting bashed unfairly. I don't know what the negative reviewers were hoping to play but Ryse is a beautiful looking game that's incredibly fun to play. Yes, the combat is simple and maybe somewhat repetitive but I still love it. I played so much this past weekend my thumb started hurting and that hasn't happened to me with a game in many years. At times I've even yelled "Xbox Record That!" to show off an epic moment where I was having a blast and I never imagined wanting to use that feature of the XB1. If this game looks interesting to you just get it. Don't believe all the negative reviews, the game is a blast! Expand
  24. Nov 25, 2013
    It's very similar to old school games like Final Fight or Streets of Rage. You travel around having group fights with enemies that use set patterns of attack. Every now and then you meet a boss character who requires special tactics like Mike Tyson's Super Punch Out. The combat is responsive and rewards skill and timing. Plus it's well acted and looks gorgeous.
  25. Nov 25, 2013
    This is a fun hack-and-slash. The combat is clearly inspired by Batman:Arkham it relies more on timing, counters and combos than button-mashing and roll-dodging. This makes it feel sort of like a long series of QTEs, so if that's not your cup of tea, so be it. I don't think it deserves the slew of negative reviews; the game clearly has a vision and executes it well, though I think a few small changes would have made that vision a lot more clear, and possibly more fun for some of the haters. For instance, in Batman games, the action speeds up as a combo continues and you enter flow mode; in Ryse, on the other hand, combos continue at the same somewhat plodding pace, interrupted by even slower execution QTEs. And the plethora of currency systems and scores is impossible to fathom, especially in the middle of combat where you end up having no good visual feedback about how well you're performing even though the information is there, it's in words like "Soldier Execution!" which would have worked better as stars or icons or noises or, well, just about anything. The campaign story is well acted I am amazed at how lifelike the performance capture is and feels like a B-movie ripoff mashup of Gladiator (2000) and Clash Of The Titans (1981) which means that compared to most video game stories it's Moby Dick. Expand
  26. Nov 25, 2013
    There are a lot of really bipolar reviews for this game, and having played it, I have to say it's getting trashed unfairly. Ryse is a lot of fun. You have to be into the Hack-n-Slash sort of game, but if you are, it's a blast. Freakin' beautiful to look at; decent revenge story; B:A-style combat. All in all, a worthwhile investment for Xbox One owners.
  27. Nov 25, 2013
    Overall: 8
    Gameplay: 7.5
    Story: 7
    Visual: 9.5

Analysis: This game is worth picking up for the X1. It might not take you forever to get thru the single-player, but you'll sure enjoy the time it does take.
  28. Nov 25, 2013
    With all the ugly reviews, I came so close to blowing this game off. But, that would have been a huge mistake. Ryse and Dead Rising have turned out to be the games I'm playing non-stop. Ryse is an sh1t-ton of fun. Don't try to read too much into it. It's an unapologetic kick-in-the pants Slashville game. Ever wondered what the cross-section of a dude's arm looks like? Look no further. I Venus-de-Milo'd more barbarians than I know what to do with. Play this game! Expand
  29. Dec 12, 2013
    This game is amazing ...
    Press criticism against him is terrible and many news editors have forgotten games of the 90s.
    May be they were can only be frustrated to see their big brother playing these games you named them all beat. Double dragon, street of rage are parties of this.
    At this time, only two buttons on the handle but fun to sell and this is what I found with breathtaking
    graphics when I play Ryse ...

So older friends don't hesitate to test Ryse. It will probably remind you greats moments of happiness.
  30. Nov 26, 2013
    I would normally give this game an 8 because of the lack of enemy types and weapons, but see so many sony fan boys on here that have nothing better to do than give X1 games low scores so had to give it 10. Seriously? Look at the history of the losers who give this game a low score and you'll see that they give every X1 game a 0~3and then they give average PS4 games like killzone a 10. If Killzone is so good then why did they buy X1 a week later and 3~4 games that they hate? Also how did they have time to play that many games in 5 days? The moderators should clear out their obvious attempts to sabotage X1 user reviews to maintain this site's integrity. Expand
  31. Nov 26, 2013
    Visuals alone give it at least a 6. but I really enjoyed playing Ryse: Son of Rome, come on how do you not enjoy slicing peoples arms and legs off. I thought the story so really good, could of given you more of whats going on but a good start.
    The reason I only give it a 9 is the harder AI's really only do one more over and over and it get annoying and repetitive. But, i never got tired
    of finishing moves they were pretty sweet

A really good title launch and i hope we see another one
  32. Nov 26, 2013
    Dead Rising 3 is insane fun. Building crazy weapons and wiping out the zombie hordes is extremely addicting. Tons of side missions and good boss fights keep you playing. Just starting my 2nd play through so I can get the Megaman Suit. Yes, I said Megaman. The thought of getting the suit and Megablaster and wiping out zombies as Megaman puts a smile on my face.
  33. Nov 27, 2013
    Hack n' slash has never been my style. That being said I immensely enjoyed this game. Stunning graphics, an enthralling story, and solid fighting made for an awe inspiring next-gen experience. Some may hate the simon says style sections when an execution is triggered, but the grimmaces on the faces of my victims as they were brutalized has yet to get tiring. It brought me back to the rush I felt whilst chainsawing my first hapless locust in the original Gears of War. Plus, nailing each signal immediately to get the legendary blows kept me engaged. However, I do wish there were consequences for my frequent missed presses. Action is mugged by ridiculous semi auto crossbow segments that tear you away from the realism that is otherwise beautifully conveyed, and the campaign is too far on the short side, but the online gladiator mode with an elaborate upgrade system will keep me playing for weeks to come. A flawed, but solid experience from a launch game that I believe deserves more credit for what it's achieved. Expand
  34. Nov 27, 2013
    Just finished the campaign, and I had a lot of fun. Interesting story, beautiful graphics, and fun (if repetitive) combat carried me through the story. Absolutely recommended for any new xbox one owner.
  35. Nov 27, 2013
    Very nice game as a Launch title for the next gen consoles. I don't get why that many People say bad things about it, that's what you get of an hack&slay. Love it!
  36. LGK
    Nov 27, 2013
    Dont listen to the negative reviews. its awful when you look at "all of their reviews" and they have done nothing but bash xbox titles and praise sony titles. This game is gorgeous and fun to play. The combat system is akin to batman which was praised for its fighting sequences. Best looking game on x1 and possibly ps4. I had to make an account to let people know that this game is what you make of it much like god of war. It will get boring if you mash your way through it and don't try to max out your combos. But. Take the time to learn the nuances and this game is awesome. Me and my friend have played the multiplier alone for over 20 hours. Give it a try, its worth it. Expand
  37. Nov 27, 2013
    bad game and very short i don't think that crytec should do eny game eny more and stay with their engine.i didn't see that vomming with all of the hype
  38. Nov 27, 2013
    This game was awesome. the Campaign was fun but short however worth a second play thru on legendary the online co-op is good as well letting you step into the gladiator areas and level up your gear and special attacks. my favorite of the next gen games so far and I have both PS4 and Xbox One.
  39. Nov 27, 2013
    I've read many of the reviews for this game, about the game being to repetitive, or lacking game play, none of which is true. This game is a visual feast and a great edition to the launch lineup of Xbox one. I have to scratch my head to think what these reviewers were expecting, maybe call or duty or something else, the great is game for what it is a showcase of the Xbox one. Great story, graphics, my only complaint is the length of the game should have been at least 8-10 hours instead its more like 6. Buy the game you will not regret it, worth every penny. Expand
  40. Nov 28, 2013
    My actual score for this game would be an 8-8.5 based on what was achieved for a launch title. Launch titles are never great, they suffer from short dev cycles incapable of taking full advantage of what the system is capable of. I'm giving it a 10 due to the jack-holes rating it a 0 because they are Sony fan boys. Click the names and look at the past submissions to see what I mean. I can't think of a single game that deserves a 0, so it's ludicrous to see it for a game that deserves a 6 on graphics alone.

The graphics are absolutely stunning! One of the few games to make you believe it's on a next-gen system. Really harnesses the power of the Crytek engine which shows off it's spectacular lighting engine. The game is a hack n slash. Repetition is fully expected here. And you can keep repeating the same thing over and over, if you like. But you have options here. You level up your hero with various skills and feats. Customize your combos to put on a dazzling display of swordsmanship. The QTE is controlled by the user! So for those complaining about how many QTE there are. Quit doing them! They trigger when you decide to execute an NPC. While the game doesn't break any new grounds in terms of gameplay, the gameplay is still solid. A nice combat system with customization and optional play styles. Easily one of the best launch titles available. Forza looks great and plays like Forza. But was stripped of all of its content. For something fresh and on the heels of what's hot today (Spartacus, 300, Rome) Ryse delivers a gorgeous, yet visceral play experience set in ancient Rome.
  41. Nov 29, 2013
    Exceptional game! The way the intensity of the story, acting, sound design and visuals plunges you into ancient Rome is beyond description. The gameplay is fun, but takes some time to master. A second play through is essential and in truth, finishing the game left me wanting more. Sequel PLEASE!
  42. Nov 29, 2013
    I may age myself here, but this game is a modern day Golden Axe and its FUN. All games are repetitive to some degree. In my opinion Ryse is no different than the Batman series. The story mode in Ryse was surprisingly interesting, the graphics are stunning, and the multiplayer is pretty cool. I enjoyed this game from start to finish, the only complaint I have is there are no decapitations. Ryse 2, bring decapitations please! Expand
  43. Nov 29, 2013
    Ryse has a very strong and professionally produced story. The voice acting and cinematic elements of the game are a testament to a gateway to the new generation of consoles. The game play is accommodating and adequate, even if it is simple and formulaic. The overall presentation and feel of the game easily overshadows its flaws and makes for an exciting chain of varying chapters and engaging narrative. Expand
  44. Nov 30, 2013
    The game is short and to the point (ba-doom, pun), but leaves you wanting a bit more. Graphically the game is amazing feeling near seamless between combat and the great story it tells. The combat tests your reaction but is nothing new to video games, even with the many different ways to kill people, most people will probably find the executions repetitive. The story as mentioned before is great, lead by what is some of the best voice acting and character animation in video games to date. While the linear aspect and repetitive combat may disappoint some, other will be surprised by the beauty, art, and voice-acting the game displays. Its a good ride. Expand
  45. Nov 30, 2013
    I grant the disappointed and acknowledge that the combat is repetitive but let's be real here, I can't believe I'm seeing scores of 0, 1 and 2. to be honest I still haven't grown tired of hacking off arms and legs. The graphics are nothing short of amazing and it's good story. I can see rating this at a 6-7 if you're craving more depth in the combat area but below that, you're just being extra particular. Expand
  46. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm in love with this game. My jaw was on the floor from start to finish. Never got bored of the story or the combat. The reviews for this game are absolutely ridiculous. My buddy and I both recently finished the game and cannot stop talking about it. Some people are just impossible to satisfy. Best $60 I've spent on a game since Tombraider
  47. Dec 1, 2013
    People here actually give Ryse 0 points and then 10 points to Killzone or other PS4 exclusive. I mean how obvious can you get?

And about the game, it was fantastic, extremely beautiful but bit too short. I enjoyed it from begin to end.
  48. Dec 2, 2013
    What's with all the hate? I had low expectations for a fighting game made by Crytek, who in my opinion have always fallen well short on the gameplay front, but I had some fun with this game. The combat isn't especially deep, but it works well. I had fun just flying around the screen mixing up attacks and multi-character executions. I thought the execution mechanic coupled with d-pad selection of bonus types was rather elegant. and the "look & feel" of the combat is excellent cameras, contextual executions, sounds and gore all presented really well. The entire game, in fact, is incredibly beautiful. Audio and visual art direction both felt careful crafted throughout the experience. Characters and dialog were reasonably solid, and the story was interesting enough to keep my playing. It was as bold move for Crytek to leave their safe zone of shooters, and it's worth some praise.

If you're looking for an entertaining story-driven single player experience with eye-popping visuals, a pretty solid story, and brutal albeit simplistic combat, Ryse is definitely worth checking out.

Solid 7, 7.5 from me.

To give this game a 1 is indicative of the overall internet crybaby/fanboy facebook attitude of overreacting to everything either 100% OMG CITIZEN CANE OF VIDEO GAMES!1!!, or 0% COMPLETE GARBAGE OMGWTF.
  49. Dec 2, 2013
  50. Dec 3, 2013
    Reviewers are missing the point with this game. This is a launch game that simplifies controls with button color references to allow anyone, "NEW" gamers especially, to pickup and play a next gen game with relative ease. I selected the hardest difficulty available from the start and in no way did i think this game was easy. Reviewers must have played this on the easiest setting to rip through it for review purposes. I was forced to upgrade my character and executions to progress through the game. The graphics and sound are exceptional. This game is very graphic with brutal executions which brings up another issue I see in most reviews. There are dozens of executions in this game. How reviewers are stating that the same execution occurs over and over is not true. You unlock more executions as you level up. There are multiple single, double, environment and co-op executions with multiple variations. Yes there same arm is hacked off, but wouldn't you hack off the weapon wielding arm of your opponent?
    On-line is a solid gaming experience as well that any skill level gamer can dig into. I almost did not pick up this game due to "Expert" review scores and would have missed out on a great game.
  51. Dec 4, 2013
    nice if you want an interactive video but if a serious gamer the interface and lack of variety do not make up for lovely graphics, seems to be the current trend have 80% on graphics and 20% actual gameplay
  52. Dec 5, 2013
    Graphics: 10 Story: 10 Gameplay: 6 Fun Factor: 10 I bought an Xbox One hoping that this next gen would blow my mind visually. To say other games have been underwhelming is an understatement. This is the first game that made my jaw drop and drew me in with its cinematic quality and amazing storyline. Gameplay is repetitive but still VERY challenging. And when you get it right its very rewarding. I cant wait to play through again and find all of the hidden items on a more difficult mode. Expand
  53. Dec 7, 2013
    Un Titulo que trae frescura a la nueva generación y se desmarca de lo convencional ya que futbol, shooter, coches y zombies venimos servidos de la antecesora.
    El aspecto gráfico es bastante bueno en primeros planos y algo menos cuidado en pequeños detalles como los fuegos de fondo, jugabilidad aceptable aunque un poco repetitiva, el nivel de dificultad "maximo" también es un poco flojo
    para los jugadores habituales de este género y el apartado sonoro con una calidad aceptable. Expand
  54. Dec 7, 2013
    Great game, don't listen to the bad reviews. Only reason I didn't give a ten was due to lack of diversity to attack controls. Overall though beautiful graphics really showing what the xbox one will be capable of. Much better than some of the other straight from 360 type ports which have launched This game truely is next gen. Well worth a few run throughs. Just started the arena solo gladiator mode which is giving longevity to the title. Top surprise, really enjoyed. Expand
  55. Dec 8, 2013
    O jogo graficamente falando muito bom, porém meio repetitivo, pois não há variedade de inimigos, são quase todos iguais. No resumo um bom jogo, mas poderia ser melhor. Agora ficaria perfeito se a história fosse sobre o Spartacus
  56. Dec 9, 2013
    Two words brutal and beautiful that is the best way to describe Ryse. To anyone on the fence about purchasing this game I say take the plunge you will not be disappointed. The staggering amount of low reviews is not a good representation of the quality of this game to say the least many of these reviews reek of bias. Ryse may have a vey straight forward combat system but tell me which hack and slash doesn't? Did such a combat system ever hold back high critic scores for games like Batman arkham or GoW? I will say this now I would have loved to see different weapon usage throughout the campaign but I also understand that you play as a centurion so shield and board make perfect sense perhaps in the sequel which I can only hope is made. Beautiful graphics, very good story excellent voice acting and motion capture and a super solid combat system (even if basic) make his game a must play. I have not spent much time with the multiplayer but what I have tried has been challenging and just as nice looking as the main game. Expand
  57. Dec 13, 2013
    Visuals amazing, decent game play and great music atmosphere. Yes there are a few issues but its a really decent game and i'm enjoying playing through. I rent my games so for a rent its perfect, if I paid 50 quid maybe not.....
  58. Dec 15, 2013
    Firt of all, i dont agree with the notes that this game is receiving from the critic. This game have much potentional to be one of the most amazing franchises ever. This graphics, jesus man, this graphics... THIS IS THE NEXT GENERATION! Amazing graphics, better than whatever i see until now. Better than PC graphics, better then all games we have today to play, just amazing. Another great thing about Ryse is the History, if you like the history of Roma and Mythology you will like it. The gameplay its really good, it works very well, the problem is the variation of the gameplay, unfortunately it is repetitive. But dont be sad, the amazing graphics, the amazing history, the good gameplay make this game really amazing. I think if Crytek and Microsoft make another Ryse, fixing all the problems, we gonna have one of the most amazing games ever created. Expand
  59. Dec 18, 2013
    Forget modern day reviews from these geeky righteous gamers. Son of rome is a brilliant game. Graphics are incredible and the combat is addictive. Once the campaign is finished you have the brilliant multiplayer.
    I don't know what people want from games these days after seeing the low reviews for this game but I highly recommend it.
  60. Dec 19, 2013
    This game is so one dimensional, definitely not worth the Even after the 3GB update to revise combat, the game falls flat on its face.

Sure things are beautiful but you're always fighting the same 3 boring enemies to advance the story. This game tried to be a God of War but the dumbed down combat and lack of variety would hardly keep a 7 year old entertained more than a few hours.

Don't even get me started on the upgrade system, an Android or Iphone game has more complex upgrades and oh wait do you ask if this game is a Free-To-Play? You will after seeing the number of micro-transactions they prompt you with. AVOID THIS GAME UNLESS YOU HAVE NOTHING TO PLAY
  61. Dec 25, 2013
    Ryse: Son of Rome (XBone) Launch Title

Story: 8

Pretty straight forward and engaging enough for a hack & slash type of game such as this; however, I do think the first 1/4 of the story could be fleshed out just a bit better with more backstory...without going into spoiler-land, I feel the story was a bit disjointed in that you don't really realize what the true catalyst was at the
    beginning until you reach the very end, yet throughout the middle, it alludes to this catalyst...all in all though, the story is just a mere hanger-on to drive forward the more than satisfying, visually stunning, flawlessly choreographed combat...

Audio: 9

There is nothing particularly earth-shattering with respect to the game's audio and musical score; however, it lends well to the time period and matches well with the gameplay...

Graphics: 10

Top-notch...exactly the type of launch game you want to show off the graphical prowess of new hardware...the character movements are fluid, a work of art...the various moves/attacks/blocks/evades are perfectly choreographed and never look out of place...the vistas and locales are varied and just a pleasure to view...

Experience: 10

The gameplay is visceral, inviting, and exciting...while others feel the game becomes repetitive, I found this to not be the case...there were plenty of moments of varied gameplay mechanics such as manning the ballista or forming a moving shield wall with you and the rest of your legion's soldiers...granted it probably helped that I spent in-game XP to purchase new/upgraded executions and did not play through in one sitting (spread out over several weeks time)...

Overall: 10 (Exceptional)
  62. Dec 27, 2013
    Yes graphics and combat system are ok, but the remaining isn't very good, in fact, the game does not last very much and is quite repetitive in content. I suppose that six is the correct mark for it.
  63. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the most uninspired games I've played, it was like watching a turd in HD. 5 minutes in and I'm bored with the endless and repetitive combat. If we're meant to mash buttons for hours at least make the combat system interesting.. They took one of the most interesting topics from our history (Rome) and turned it into a bare bones pedestrian story (using emperor Calligula no less, one of the most messed up emperors Rome's seen). 8 in graphics but zero in game play and imagination. Worst first game ever for a console. Expand
  64. Dec 31, 2013
    gameplay wise nothing outstanding, was ok for a few hours but did not motivate me to play it through.
    graphically quite outstanding though but for me graphic is less important than gameplay
  65. Jan 1, 2014
    I read the reviews before I started playing this game and I think that they are giving to this game a lower scored that it deserves. This game has outstanding graphics and it's really enjoyable to play. Besides the story it's really good.
  66. Jan 2, 2014
    This is a Monotonous game you have block alot and it only works a 3rd of the time, i couldn't beat the last boss on easy and fully upgraded, I believe this game is for zombie players, sword games should not be made to use the same series of attacks over and over in the game, i rate this game a 4, if you use the same series of attacks it doesn't do any good because block dose not work half the time, and there were a couple of times in the game i wasn't sure what to do or where to go, so thoughtless for a game designer. Expand
  67. Jan 5, 2014
    I was cautious buying this but am extremely pleased I did. It's a beautiful, beautiful game but it's strength is in a truly excellent story. While some may complain that the main campaign is a little short, I thought it was a decent length, as some games do tend to go on a bit these days.

I'd agree that the game can be a bit repetitive, however I was so swept up in the drama that I
    didn't mind too much. Each level has a very distinctive look and feel which helps. Value is added with the multiplayer as you get to do some great historical recreations in the Coliseum.

This is certainly a worthy introduction to next gen gaming as it's one of the most gorgeous games I've seen. I just hope the same team are working on a more open, Clash of the Titans style game!
  68. Jan 7, 2014
    Ryse is underscored. It's really short, it's true, but on gaming history there have been other titles which were short as well and could be as well pointed as repetitive. Those games received more score and sometimes it was attached to its visuals (first Assassin's Creed for example). Ok, we can't compare AC to Ryse, but overall what I mean is that any user will be surprised with Ryse in-game graphics (be aware of overscan features on tv's they crap the experience!), and its gameplay yeah, falls a bit short, but it mantains the strenght of the combats and the combo feature.

Also, after the campaign you can re-make it again in a higher dificulty level or play the arena mode, which has quite load of options (and will have more eventually), and really adds hours to the game itself.

I think it's a good game, almost a must-have except for some things which are really bad (as for example "hidden" things which aren't really "hidded" (you've got to be dumb if you don't find any of them)). But it doesn't deserves the score given by most magazines. I've played more booring games with more scores on them.
  69. Jan 16, 2014
    Beautiful but ultimately disappointing. The game looks and sounds like you're watching a movie and the motion capture and voice acting are top-notch. The slow motion battle sequences leave you with your jaw on the floor and the scenery is breathtaking. However, that's where this game stops being good. The combat and gameplay is mind-numbingly repetitive and far too easy, even on the hardest difficulty setting. The linear storyline allows for virtually zero exploration. The cookie-cutter enemies consist of about 8 different models, only four of which require a different strategy than mashing the x button.

The historical inaccuracies are what did it in for me. I can understand taking creative liberties for a game like this, but as a big fan of ancient history, I found myself being more focused on the complete disregard for historical context than the actual gameplay. Damocles was a Greek character mentioned only in Roman history one time by Cicero. King Oswald wasn't even alive until around 600 AD, centuries after the Western Roman Empire fell. Boudica never invaded Rome, and never would have done so RIDING AN ELEPHANT, AN ANIMAL SHE NEVER WOULD HAVE EVEN SEEN BEFORE. They refer to the cities in Britannia as "York" and "Dover", which would have been called Eboracum and Dubris at this time in history. Nero had no sons, only a daughter that died in childhood. I could go on, but you get the point. If you want the most beautiful hack and slash game made to date, then this is your game. If you want a repetitive game with more or less total disregard for the timeframe in which it exists, then this is also your game.
  70. Jan 18, 2014
    First off I dont understand why this go suck low ratings...... I played and beat this game and the only complaint I have is it is too short!!! The graphics are amazing and the story is good.(very to the point) If you are looking for a challenging hack and slash game then this one is it!! Please play the game before you review because it is obvious half these people dont even have the game.
  71. Jan 21, 2014
    So i bought the game this month.Besides the negative reviews i have seen.Every game that is average rated i give a chance.Since i am into this kind of setting i was craving for a new game set in this world.I loved the game Shadows of Rome and i liked the movie Gladiator ,300 and the TV show Spartacus.Most players complained about t combat . What made me think maybe the game was to easy on default settings.So i set the game on the most difficult setting available at the moment.And see i was right the game now felt like Demon/Dark Souls,Ninja Gaidens little brother. Except you have to fight 4-6 opponents at once. Although the repertoire is limited every move has its purpose.So the fun about combat here is studying the enemy, and judge ,react to their attacks.By no later than the legacy difficult its clear. That you stand no chance by mashing or spam attacks.You have to time your attack and know when to break the shield all that in a combo to stop the enemy attacking .All while keeping an eye on all the other enemy's If you spam or mash you wont be able to block or evade incoming attacks from behind. Later in the game when you have to fight 4 types of enemy's at once. That is wen your brain has to work in overdrive.One enemy must be keep t in a combo.the other must be guard braked before you can attack .the other must be blocked two times then evade or perfect guard at the end to hit him. the other must be perfect guarded or evaded two times then attack after hes done .All that while looking out for regular attacks to block. double block red attacks to perfect guard or evade.or simultaneous attacks to evade.In some situations even command your troops at the same time.Since in the higher difficulties you get the most honor points and XP you almost will rely on health regenerating finishers.Yes you will not be able to fail the finishers since the system is lenient to your inputs.the problem is that the enemy's will cut huge chunks of health out of you when hit.So you are forced to to input the finishers correctly or you don't get enough bonus to survive.Also critical for surviving is to spent all the points you get to your perks.So after all that said Ryse has addictive and fun challenging combat paired with a little exploration for collectibles and group formation combat.Even thou the game was short i found myself want to play more.Since i recently unlocked the legendary difficult and i haven't filled all my perks and missed some collectibles .Yes there are micro transactions in the game but if you play on hard or grind you will get enough points to almost fill your perks completely in one play trough.Besides some technical issues.
    Its a fun ,challenging and beautiful looking game.An the tragic loss ,revenge plot fits perfectly in the games setting.Music is epic orchestrated fitting. The voice acting is very professional and one reason more for me to replay the game since i haven't played the game in English yet. (i am German)Like in movies it feels different and new when its in a different language.The game creators are located in Germany so i was sure the German voice acting is going to be solid. i recommend a rent or a price drop buy .Since its a bit expensive for such a sort game.But it has some replay ability.
  72. Jan 22, 2014
    Not sure why everyone was ripping on this game so much. Glad to see the user reviews are relatively positive (with the odd person claiming all of us giving it good ratings are MSFT employees, so they have to give it a 0 rating...). Yes the mechanics are simple and yes it wasn't quite long enough for my liking, but I loved the game and loved playing through it. So much so that I actually started playing through again. Perfecting the combat on higher difficulties and fighting 6 or more guys at a time that are all coming at you is a blast. Not sure why the critics hated on it so much. Expand
  73. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game had incredible graphics and also had an incredible combat system. But for someone who studies history, I can say the historical accuracy was incredibly out of order and made all the ancient Picts/Britons look like shirtless savages, there was also no barbarian tribe in Scotland that wore bull skulls and happened to be 7 feet tall, and there was no point in time where Boudica rode a war elephant. Nero didn't have any kids either. Commodus wasn't even around during the time of Nero nor was he ever related to the Caesar bloodline. This game wasn't really meant to be historically accurate though, and it had fantasy elements in it which explains why it was historically innacurate. However, If you're into fighting games like God of War, Dynasty Warriors, Spartan total warrior this would be your game. 7/10 for me. I hope you found this review helpful. Expand
  74. Feb 15, 2014
    I am a huge fan of Rome games, so this game was my reason to buy a Xbox one. There are positives and negatives, so I'll make this short. It is beautiful in all aspects, only once in a while are there rendering or texture problems, but not enough to stick in your brain for long. The camera is horrid, I see more butt cheeks than I can see a field of view, and God forbid you get near a corner or smaller area...you see nothing but what's in straight in front of you while you get combo'd to death by flurry of strikes. The combat style is very cool, but it does get old, it becomes a norm to get the same 5 or so executions and then turns into kinda blah with a few surprises here and there. Sometimes the controls become lagging and so things will happen late, or you'll be hit/interrupted and THEN your command goes off, normally leading to even more damage. Deff needs to be updated at least 1 more time, but all in all, it's a Rome game with awesome graphics just the play style gets old. Would recommend renting this not buying, seeing as you can beat the game in around 20-30 hours (I did on the 3rd difficulty) and the multiplayer is just a grind fest with even MORE rinse and repeat to it. Expand
  75. Feb 9, 2014
    Graphics are amazing. Probably the best of all the next-gen games so far (across all the platforms). Story is good, not great. Action is a lot of fun. Could use more variety in terms of enemies. Some leaps in story logic. Needs multiple playthroughs to fully build your character.
  76. Feb 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game looks great. I liked it in the story, but Spoiler: I do not like that in the story added gods, what they affect, fly, etc. I think that they're special and I do not need them enough in God of War.
    The game turned a little arcade. The game should be more mature, bloody, ie more real. A good example is the series Spartacus.
    Games such a plan and themes of ancient Rome made ​​extremely small.
    It would be desirable to have more variety of enemies, and not crowd cloned dummy.
    In general, I advise developers listen to the opinions of those who have written reviews and to continue to refine these aspects of the game.
    And since everything is cool, I liked it!
    I look forward to the continuation of the game.
  77. Jun 20, 2014
    Spectacular visuals are the only reason many will buy this game but once they play it will be so much more if you have a xbox one this game is a must buy. This is by far the best xbox one game i have played thus far.
  78. Feb 26, 2014
    I liked the graphics, fighting, history, other than what we have seen game so comparisons are generated nonsense criticized but not enjoying the game, I want to see another game over Rome!
  79. Jun 11, 2014
    It's a wonderful game! Beautiful battles, amazing graphics and very good cinematics...The only negative is the controls which is in the game's gameplay so it isn't Microsoft's mistake...
  80. Mar 11, 2014
    For a Next Gen launch game the Crytek engine is gorgeous. The Story is entertaining and keeps you hooked. The Combat can be a tad repetitive, think Batman in the Arkham series.
    The Single player campaign is short. But get a friend co-op on the multiplayer and have a blast
  81. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is an amazing game with great graphics game play and cultural references. only bad thing would be is that i was expecting a skyrim like world and mechanics with quests and open world traversing
  82. Apr 15, 2014
    It is surprisingly a great game regardless of most of reviews out there. Incredible movie-like graphics that come with a decent story.

Gameplay is unfortunately a bit linear but the entire package surprises.

I would give it a 10/10 but I believe it's a bit pricey for only about 10 hours of gameplay.
  83. Apr 20, 2014
    I planned on getting the Xone when Titan fall came out, and I picked up Ryse for the heck of it. I played it over the weekend and it is a lot of fun. I was worried it was too short for a 60$ game, but I will play it through again at least a few more times. It looks great, the story is good, and the combat is fun. I love the arkham games, and this is kind of like those. I love both systems so far, not a fanboy of either, I would pick this up for sure, now that the price has gone down. Expand
  84. Apr 28, 2014
    First let me just say I love ancient Rome. Ok that aside I was so stoked when this game was announced and shown. I went and I bought it, I was not disappointed. It was beautiful, fast fluid (somewhat repetitive) combat, excellent story, excellent acting, and of course ancient Rome. The history was off, and some things happen that never did (which being a history buff would normally drive me crazy), but I looked past it and saw it more as another story in Roman mythology. The game is not flawless though. It does have repetitive combat and executions also but I still enjoy cutting some's leg off and giving me a break from somewhat overwhelming enemies at times. The multiplayer is there and you can see the hard work that went into it, but after a little bit it became kind of lack luster, but I do appreciate the fact that it is there. All and all, it was almost a perfect game for me and I hope others enjoy it as much as I did. Expand
  85. Jul 7, 2014
    I must say this game gets an unfair amount of bad reviews. To be short, the one flaw with this game is the shallow combat system.

Best on legendary difficulty.
    Awesome graphics. Fun combat system to master. Epic storyline.

Incredible story of revenge that follows our hero through his campaigns across britania all the way back to the corrupt streets of rome.
  86. Sep 14, 2014
    As with any game purchase, you should exercise common sense before purchasing. If you would like a hack and slash game with the spectacle of Call of Duty set in ancient Rome, this is a solid pick up.

The game pretty. There's no real argument from anyone there. Some character models are not as detailed as others (see: Boudica), and many will repeat throughout the game, but nothing in
    this game particularly offends the eyes. The spectacle of it all is impressive, and there are no noticeable framerate dips that I experienced.

The story is your typical revenge tale. There's a neat twist that I probably should have seen coming, but none the less, it was pretty cool. The narrative is pretty well acted so long that you can appreciate the fact that none of it is really historically accurate, and the Romans speak with British accents. I'd say the overall story of the game is on par, if not a tick better, than a God of War game. Nothing mind blowing, but pretty solid popcorn entertainment.

The gameplay isn't impressive. If you're looking for a deep combat system, you won't find it here. To be honest, it was kind of numbing, but inoffensive overall. The battles play out somewhere between a beat 'em up and a stripped down Arkham combat system, but offer enough challenge at as you progress that you don't get bored, but the story keeps flowing.

Overall, I played this game as a sort of "palate cleanser" between The Last of Us and Destiny. It proved to be a pretty relaxed 6 hour playthrough, and though short, it was enjoyable. Definitely not a game I'd recommend dropping $60 on, but if you're looking for a decent rental or preowned game to return to Gamestop before the 7 day return period is up, you could definitely do worse.
  87. Sep 19, 2014
    This game is not worth buying. While visually stunning that appears all they were going for. User controls are VERY slow in responding and the moves you can do for a "kill" seem random. On "Legendary" level it just gets ridiculous. You get killed by 3 hits in full armor, yet you have to hit a Barbarian wearing nothing but cloth 10 times at least to kill him. And the views in battle are terrible. The screen shifts and all of a sudden an enemy shows up to kill you that you didn't even know was there. There is no open roaming and the direction you have to go is usually unclear. They say it took 7 years to make this game?? WTF? They should have just made it a CGF movie instead. Don't waste your time. Expand

1. Sep 8, 2014
    Ryse is a bit of a marmite game, if you are looking for a great gaming experience that takes forever to perfect then Ryse is not for you. If you are interested in a Roman interactive movie with a solid story line then I’d say give it a shot.
    Beautiful but stale, boring, shallow and lacking in variation.
  3. Sep 4, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a really good looking game, but at the same time incredible stupid. Thanks to the graphics and the amount of brutal combat the adventure managed to entertain, at least for a bit. If you find Ryse on sale it can be worth a closer look, but for a full price game it’s a disappointment.