5.9

1. Dec 25, 2013
    Ryse has a lot of potential to be a top tier experience, but the superficial core combat and story ripped right off gladiator leaves much to be desired. I had a lot of fun in the first few hours, but the game just kept going downhill after that. It just became a chore to finish. About 75% I didnt even care what happened next, thats how downhill it went. Its disappointing, cuz ryse hasRyse has a lot of potential to be a top tier experience, but the superficial core combat and story ripped right off gladiator leaves much to be desired. I had a lot of fun in the first few hours, but the game just kept going downhill after that. It just became a chore to finish. About 75% I didnt even care what happened next, thats how downhill it went. Its disappointing, cuz ryse has a lot going for it with its setting and amazing graphics and environment. The game just becomes way too repetitive without the addiction of new moves later in the game. Expand
  2. Oct 1, 2014
    This is an enjoyable, whlie it lasts action game that looks beautiful graphics wise but becomes too repetitive as the game progresses. It's good for what it is: A fun action game that'll keep you entertained for about 5-6 hours. In that lies one of the biggest problems in that it's far too short. It can easily be beaten in a weekend or less if you push yourself. The game isn't that hardThis is an enjoyable, whlie it lasts action game that looks beautiful graphics wise but becomes too repetitive as the game progresses. It's good for what it is: A fun action game that'll keep you entertained for about 5-6 hours. In that lies one of the biggest problems in that it's far too short. It can easily be beaten in a weekend or less if you push yourself. The game isn't that hard either. While it's fun and the executions are a blast to see once or twice, things get far too repetitive after awhile. You see the same executions over and over and, even though you can buy new ones, they are random so you can end up seeing the same ones over and over. I enjoyed it for what it is, and I knew going into it that it was going to be short. It fulfilled my expectations for it and I enjoyed it for what it was. However, this game is nowhere near a console seller and I would definitely not recommend picking this up for more than 20 bucks. The amount of content just can't warrant anymore than that in my book. Expand
  3. Jan 8, 2014
    After spending about 10 hours between the campaign and the Co-Op portions of Ryse: Son of Rome, I've realized something some people don't know how to rate titles. The lack of objectivity and reason go out the window with a lot of people that decide to rate games. That being said, Ryse is absolutely an awesome game. It's drop-dead gorgeous, extremely cinematic, and carries an engagingAfter spending about 10 hours between the campaign and the Co-Op portions of Ryse: Son of Rome, I've realized something some people don't know how to rate titles. The lack of objectivity and reason go out the window with a lot of people that decide to rate games. That being said, Ryse is absolutely an awesome game. It's drop-dead gorgeous, extremely cinematic, and carries an engaging storyline that definitely unfolds nicely as you progress. Combat is a bit rudimentary but it isn't overly boring. Skill progression systems are present but super linear, making you wonder why they put all the effort into developing it if there wasn't any true diversity to the system. Many levels are breathtaking, making me stop at times to just see what an achievement Crytek has on their hands. It's just unfortunate that these levels tend to be overly guided which removes from any adventuring a player might want to experience. The Co-Op is more fun than I anticipated, with a tiered system that will allow you to scale up your "gladiator" as you build up experience, gear, and expertise with the levels themselves. However I'm not certain everyone that tries it out will be in love with it as it feels a bit repetitive at times so the fun could be fairly well sapped with just a few hours of play. That will be up to you to decide should you give Ryse a go. I would easily recommend the game, but I would also say to Crytek and Microsoft Game Studios that they have a real gem on their hands one that would be served better if they had borrowed more from games that obviously inspired the final product here. Fable, Gears of War, Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3 all show themselves in their own way throughout. If I had to offer just one piece of advice to Crytek, it would be "add depth". Adding depth to the world you play through, adding depth to your character customization and development, adding depth to the characters themselves as the grow. Making a character feel like your own is one thing that keeps games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars afloat with dedicated fan bases. Ryse is an unfinished game of the year candidate. I for one hope this is the start of a continuing franchise. Expand
  4. Dec 18, 2014
    This on-rails hack and slasher is fun for 30 minutes but gets repetitive and boring real fast! It has amazing graphics and performance by the main character but who cares if the story and characters are all but non-existent? It's short (about 5-6 hours) but you'll get bored a lot quicker then that!
  5. Oct 10, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome, is a uninspiring button mashing game, that shins so bright it give me the chills. The best graphical looking game to date easily goes to Ryse however, it fails to conquer the opening scene.
    Bordon soon sets in and I felt like saying "been there done that". Characters felt cheesy and life less however it runs excellent without a bug or glitch. It may not be the best in at batch however xboxone fans can still find a fun time here. Worth a rent.
  6. Mar 12, 2014
    Game is way too short and should not be $60 purchase.. The graphics are some of the best on console but that doesn't justify the poor excuse of a short game.. I'm aware that this is launch game and what not, but that is still no excuse. The game feels like a demo Any video game that is short like this doesn't deserve a high score. This game also has some of the most boring gameplayGame is way too short and should not be $60 purchase.. The graphics are some of the best on console but that doesn't justify the poor excuse of a short game.. I'm aware that this is launch game and what not, but that is still no excuse. The game feels like a demo Any video game that is short like this doesn't deserve a high score. This game also has some of the most boring gameplay ever, it's fun at first but get repetitive very quickly. Expand
  7. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse is an absolutely beautiful game that delivers viscerally satisfying combat and an excellent narrative with fleshed out characters. This is what the next generation of console gaming is all about.
  8. Jan 17, 2015
    Ryse: Son of Rome is an awesome game. The gameplay may be repetitive, but the story is one of the best I have played in a long time. The multiplayer is also quite addictive to say the least.
  9. Nov 29, 2013
    I have mixed feelings for this game. I neither a good game, nor is it a bad game. This is what I thought about it after finishing the game.
    Story 6/10
    Its your typical Revenge story. Marius goes out to avenge the death of his family, vengeance is finally made, yada yada yada. You get the picture. Its a pretty good story though, but it will get forgettable after time. Graphics 10/10
    Story 6/10
    Graphics 10/10
    This is by far the most beautiful looking games I have ever played (2nd best to KZ SF that is). Combat is fluid, animations are smooth, and texture quality is perfect. A game that looks this great shows a good future for the X1.
    Gameplay 7/10
    Its your basic hack 'n slash game. Combat is actually pretty fun, but do to the lack of enemy variety leads to repetition. You;ll quickly find yourself fighting the same enemies over and over again. Executions are cool, but are all done using QTEs, which is disappointing.
    Online 5/10
    The online portion of the game isn't so successful. Its basically played the same way the SP is played only with another player. The changing arena helps change up the gameplay, but ultimately, you still do the same thing over and over again in each area.
    Verdict 6/10
    Ryse: Son of Rome may be the best looking game on the X1, but a forgettable story, repetitive gameplay, and a lackluster online portion, makes this another sword fighting game we've pretty much already seen before.
  10. Nov 26, 2013
    Makes use of the XBox One's capability and as a game its a fun melee combat game with a fun and engaging campaign. Its not for everyone but is something I am enjoying and really love the Romanesque story telling and the voice acting in the campaign is very well done.

Its not an earth shattering innovative game but it does not get repetitive as for me as other as complaining about.

The idea of "buying gold" to get skills in the campaign strikes me as a bit silly and I don't really care for that. Hopefully that is not available for acquiring the multiplayer skills. I look forward to jumping into the multiplayer but that was not my main motivation for purchasing this game.

My main issues have more to do with the XB One and the time it took to DL the patch and then install the game.
  11. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse: Son Of Rome may have its repetitive sword fights, but Crytek delivers us a brief look at some history in a beautiful world, a truly stunning game at the launch of next generation of Xbox.
  12. Sep 29, 2014
    A hollow title with nothing but looks and money behind it. The graphics are some of the best both technically and artistically, but the 8 levels do not bring much variety or imagination. The controls are solid most of the time, but sometimes might feel a little unresponsive.

The gameplay is utter rubbish. It could be fun to try and see some of the executions but grows more than stale after a few minutes. Playing the co-op multiplayer can be more fun since you have to coordinate sometimes with your partner but is shallow as hell and that doesn't help at all.

Since the story is ok and the production values are up high, one could enjoy a playthrough, but every person, no matter what kind of gamer he/she is will find it repetitive as hell. I found it pretty shallow and the one or two extra gameplay actions do not do much to compensate. The upgrade system is **** The powerup system is also **** Also its duration is about 6 hours. You can see the half-realised ideas from the previous state of the game (Kinect-only) such as the shooting or the legion thing.

This game is the epitomy of mediocrity. It just doesn't have enough content or ideas to fill half a game.
  13. May 25, 2014
    First, the time period is fantastic along with the story line. Absolutely brilliant. The mechanics of the game are so flawless that you forget you are holding a controller. I know there are a lot of complaints of "repetitive" game play but the minute nuances in combat are one of the strongest parts of the game. I would surmise that those who are complaining have yet to make any progress inFirst, the time period is fantastic along with the story line. Absolutely brilliant. The mechanics of the game are so flawless that you forget you are holding a controller. I know there are a lot of complaints of "repetitive" game play but the minute nuances in combat are one of the strongest parts of the game. I would surmise that those who are complaining have yet to make any progress in the arena because all your button mashing will do you no good there. Overall, this game was a fantastic experience and one that I come back to often to try my luck in the arenas. Expand
  14. May 2, 2014
    Ryse of Rome presents a great launch title, the chronology of the story is interesting although not entirely original, whilst the plot itself isn't amazing it does present plenty of 'this is sparta'/'I am a freaking badass' moments.

The sword play and executions are very cool and keep you entertained through what is mechanically a quite repetitive control set, and the sparse opportunities to take control of your legion whilst again simple are very satisfying.

The game is short, however I think this works in it's favour, if this game were 20 hours long it would become dreadfully stale but for a 6-7 hours rompfest it keeps you thoroughly entertained. I feel the reviews suffer from peoples expectations for ryse son of rome and I like many was expecting something with a bit more depth, however the graphics and obvious attention to detail in creating excellently modeled swordplay have left me with an experience to remember.
  15. Jun 25, 2014
    When I bought Ryse I expected to be blown away with the stunning graphics and epic game play. But all I was left with was a game that looked like a 360 game and a story that gets boring very quickly.The graphics is not that amazing like everyone claims it is this game has the graphics of an Xbox 360 game and that is a big disappointment
  16. Feb 2, 2014
    This game is a great start for the next gen Xbox games. This game has the best looking graphics so far from any next gen game including PS4 titles. The sound is good and the VO is pretty darn good. The story does drag a little but really picks up at the end. The fighting is a little repetitive but it did not bother me that much at all.
    But be warned this is about a 6 hour game. So rent don't buy.
  17. Jan 19, 2014
    Ryse is one of the most interesting launch games I've ever played, there are just as many great things about as there are faults. That said, I really enjoyed playing it for the most part, there's a surprisingly good story, it's graphically the most impressive game I've played on all the next gen systems, the audio and overall sound is superb, and killing animations are fluid, vibrant, andRyse is one of the most interesting launch games I've ever played, there are just as many great things about as there are faults. That said, I really enjoyed playing it for the most part, there's a surprisingly good story, it's graphically the most impressive game I've played on all the next gen systems, the audio and overall sound is superb, and killing animations are fluid, vibrant, and brutal. So what breaks a game that has so much good going for it? Simplistic gameplay. While there's nothing wrong with that, 5 - 7 hours of the same core mechanics gets old. It's a game I love to play in bursts and the gameplay is pretty fun then, but after awhile it gets stale. Think of the Batman Arkham games but if you could only use A, X, Y, B, and the right trigger for executions. While the power ups are damn awesome, Ryse succumbs to being too short, and looses interest soon. It's a fun and enjoyable game that I really liked, but it's more of the perfect "rent" kind of game. Expand
  18. Nov 22, 2013
    This is more of a tech demo than a game, its no way worth its premium price. The price will probably drop like a stone when more games start coming out for the xbox one. It looks good but gets really boring really fast.
  19. Jun 18, 2014
    Ryse truly wasn't anything special (except those graphics are top!) but I feel like it didn't warrant all of it's criticism it does deserve a lot of it, yet in the end I thought it was decent. I thought it had a really good story, short, but good. The gameplay, while incredible repetitive and gets stale often, can be pretty fun in bursts. The multiplayer is surprisingly fun, mostly withRyse truly wasn't anything special (except those graphics are top!) but I feel like it didn't warrant all of it's criticism it does deserve a lot of it, yet in the end I thought it was decent. I thought it had a really good story, short, but good. The gameplay, while incredible repetitive and gets stale often, can be pretty fun in bursts. The multiplayer is surprisingly fun, mostly with friends, but it is pretty fun, Overall Ryse was a decent experience for me (maybe inflated cause I only paid 12 bucks for it) it can be fun but not wrth full price by any means. Expand
  20. Jul 4, 2014
    Let me start out this review by saying this: Ryse Son of Rome is the best looking game I have ever seen. Crytek is known for having amazing graphics with their engine known as CryEngine, but this game takes it to the next level entirely. But do the phenomenal graphics and spectacle make this a great, awesome game? The answer: more or less. In my eyes, Ryse wasn't made to have true next-genLet me start out this review by saying this: Ryse Son of Rome is the best looking game I have ever seen. Crytek is known for having amazing graphics with their engine known as CryEngine, but this game takes it to the next level entirely. But do the phenomenal graphics and spectacle make this a great, awesome game? The answer: more or less. In my eyes, Ryse wasn't made to have true next-gen gameplay or design. It was made to blow you away with the graphics, and show how powerful the Xbox One is. That being said, Crytek didn't try extremely hard on the gameplay. Ryse's combat is a basic hack and slash formula. It keeps you entertained...starting out, that is. As you move on in the campaign, you start to realize that you are going through the same motions over and over again. What makes it worse is that the combat doesn't go on to have depth, which basically means the 2nd level is about the same as the last level. However, it does have a fun aspect to it. There are upgrades, and while they help you slightly, they aren't that big of a deal. The multiplayer of this game was more than great, though. It isn't exactly competitive. I would compare it to the cooperative modes in Halo, like Firefight (excluding gameplay of course). The combat does differ slightly in multiplayer, too. I most likely won't play the multiplayer for till the end of the year, but it will keep me entertained for a few months. Ryse never blew me away with the combat or story. What did blow me away, though, was the constant amazement out of the graphics and the extremely fun multiplayer. Expand
  21. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    t's a game you'd rather not pay 60 bucks for or 1 dollar for either. It's a pretty tech demo with no actual gameplay.
  22. Jun 30, 2014
    Brilliant visuals and some epic moments do not make-up for its repetitive gameplay and overall presentation. As some critics have pointed out, this game feels more like a presentation of the visual capabilities of the One.
  23. Mar 5, 2014
    Fun Game Overall , The Campaign Was A Bit Short , Finished It In Less Then 10 Hours , Witch Is A Bit Dissapointing , But Still Lots Of Fun To Be Had And Lots Of Collectibles To Collect , The Multiplayer Is Fun But Once Again Limited , The Season Pass Adds Survival Mode Witch Is Fun Too , But The Game Is Just Missing Something , The Graphics Do Look Stunning And Can Be Compared To PS4
  24. Apr 23, 2014
    I literally can't wait to get home everyday and play Ryse. I just can't get it off my mind. It has Unbelievanly addictive multiplayer, stunning graphics, and visuals. And dont even get me started on the campaign. It is the next thing since the last of us that actually touched my heart. With an amazing plot, and voice acting.
  25. Dec 21, 2013
    A gorgeous hack and slash that is a blast to play. This game is simply heaps of fun and to me that is the biggest and most often overlooked aspect of gaming nowadays. The combat is vicious and fluid and delivers those "OMG!" moments as you hack off limbs and impale enemies with your sword. You have 4 categories each chosen with a direction on the D-Pad that activate different attributesA gorgeous hack and slash that is a blast to play. This game is simply heaps of fun and to me that is the biggest and most often overlooked aspect of gaming nowadays. The combat is vicious and fluid and delivers those "OMG!" moments as you hack off limbs and impale enemies with your sword. You have 4 categories each chosen with a direction on the D-Pad that activate different attributes and different sets of death animations in each category so mixing the combat and animations up is really up to you and not that repetitive at all. The online component is even more entertaining than the single player! Wrecking havoc in the coliseum with a friend against waves of enemies and traps is very cool and again lots of fun. You can unlock sets of weapons and armor that affect your skills online differently depending on how you suit up for battle. This game is a perfect launch title IMO as it does a great job of keeping you coming back for more and it's overall fun factor...make no mistake though, it is easy to pick up and play but can be tough to master, especially on higher difficulties. Ryse represents my first must have title for the new generation, I love this game! Expand
  26. Jan 2, 2014
    I just finished the campaign in Ryse a couple hours ago and I don't really understand all the hate this game is getting. The only reason I can see people giving it a one is if they are trolls or just feel let down as they expected more. I was expecting a broken/boring game based on the reviews I'd read here but it really hooked me and surprised me just how fun the game was. StraightI just finished the campaign in Ryse a couple hours ago and I don't really understand all the hate this game is getting. The only reason I can see people giving it a one is if they are trolls or just feel let down as they expected more. I was expecting a broken/boring game based on the reviews I'd read here but it really hooked me and surprised me just how fun the game was. Straight forward, linear but fun and as others have said it looks amazing. I didn't have a single bug, a single bad camera angle or a single moment that looked glitched or anything, would have been a top game if they had of added some more depth to it and fleshed out the combat system more (although it works well later on in the game)

Ryse is a well made tight hack n slash game. People expecting depth and choices should look elsewhere, people who've enjoyed other hack n slash games in the past will enjoy Ryse. It's quick and simple to get in to but gets more difficult towards the end when you actually need to time your attacks and work out when it's best to use heavy attacks and pushes.

For me Ryse was a fun 10 hours and felt like an updated version of the old hack and slash games I play on my mame cabinet, I'm not entirely sure it's worth full retail price as I don't know how much playability it will hold but it is far from a bad game and is very enjoyable.

I do wish there was more of a penalty when you missed the quick times though, but some people are also missing the fact that to get the max xp from a proper timed hit you need to actually predict which button to press based on the way Marius is moving his body rather than just pushing the blue colour or yellow colour, a lot of people seem to have completely missed this and I wish the game made it more rewarding and obvious that you should be predicting based on if he is moving his sword arm or shield arm.
  27. Jan 12, 2014
    Ryse: son of Rome is a very fun hack and slash launch game for the Xbox one. i knew what i was getting into when i bought it. the graphics are gorgeous and the coliseum mode is very fun to play especially with a friend.. its biggest flaws are the game play which at time is very repetitive and bland but the executions are sick and their is a large variety of them. overall i thought it had aRyse: son of Rome is a very fun hack and slash launch game for the Xbox one. i knew what i was getting into when i bought it. the graphics are gorgeous and the coliseum mode is very fun to play especially with a friend.. its biggest flaws are the game play which at time is very repetitive and bland but the executions are sick and their is a large variety of them. overall i thought it had a solid story as well and is a good launch title to pick up that will keep you entertained for a couple of months. Expand
  28. Apr 11, 2014
    For a start the graphics are the best I have ever seen, everything looks so smooth, consistent and realistic. The controls are very responsive and smooth. The storyline is actually very well done, a few twists and turns which keep you guessing and very good overall really. There is a co-operative multiplayer mode laced with different arenas, and modes fun for a little while. The combatFor a start the graphics are the best I have ever seen, everything looks so smooth, consistent and realistic. The controls are very responsive and smooth. The storyline is actually very well done, a few twists and turns which keep you guessing and very good overall really. There is a co-operative multiplayer mode laced with different arenas, and modes fun for a little while. The combat however simple was extremely satisfying and gruesome, ever fitting with the brutal element which resides in the heart of rome itself. Expand
  29. Nov 24, 2013
    It's not really that bad. The gameplay is repeative, yes, but the graphics are phenomenal and the setting is quite great. If you enjoyed movies like Gladiator and 300 you will definitely enjoy this one
  30. Feb 22, 2014
    If you want an absolutely gorgeous hack-and-slash third person game, then this is for you. Crytek have indisputably made one of the most beautiful games available on console. The campaign is awesome, though at times repetitive, it delivers a consistently entertaining storyline and gameplay.
    The online multiplayer within the arena is where most of the fun is to be had. You battle around many different maps within the area with friends, with the legendary cooperative executions. It is an addictive experience, and if you enjoy roman/classical games or films, like 300, gladiator, or simply like the button-mashing experience that all hack-and-slash games offer, then this game will likely interest you.

1. Sep 8, 2014
    Ryse is a bit of a marmite game, if you are looking for a great gaming experience that takes forever to perfect then Ryse is not for you. If you are interested in a Roman interactive movie with a solid story line then I’d say give it a shot.
    Beautiful but stale, boring, shallow and lacking in variation.
  3. Sep 4, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a really good looking game, but at the same time incredible stupid. Thanks to the graphics and the amount of brutal combat the adventure managed to entertain, at least for a bit. If you find Ryse on sale it can be worth a closer look, but for a full price game it’s a disappointment.