5.9

1. Nov 26, 2013
    Honestly, it's no game of the year, but it's an absolutely beautiful and an all round great launch title for the Xbox One. The story is engaging and although the fighting mechanics may feel repetitive at times, I always felt challenged throughout the game; which isn't that often these days. It's definitely worth a play, I didn't regret it one bit.
  2. Nov 23, 2013
    I totally disagree wit all the negative remarks made on this game. Great gameplay, gorgeous graphics and an arsenal of finishing moves makes this game a must have for Xbox one owners. There is nothing like this out there, and for a launch title, this game makes the Xbox one worth buying... unlike KillZone SF for PS4, that game really left me wanting more. Buy this game. You'll love it!
  3. Nov 22, 2013
    This is more of a tech demo than a game, its no way worth its premium price. The price will probably drop like a stone when more games start coming out for the xbox one. It looks good but gets really boring really fast.
  4. Nov 22, 2013
    The game has sick graphics, definitely one of the best looking games so far. The gameplay on the other hand is as repetitive as one of Lil Wayne's beats. It really starts to grind your gears when you do the same moves over and over again, after 1 hour of gameplay I was tired of it. I kept playing hoping they would change the pace and offer new experiences, but nope. They slap some turret action and formation sequences but they do not sweeten the deal. This aint no God Of War/Heavenly Sword/Bayonetta/Devil May cry game. This game has Playstation 1 core gameplay with new generation graphics. I used to think it was either Graphics or gameplay, then I played Uncharted 2, The Last Of Us, God Of War 3 and came to understand you can actually have both. Crytek needs to stick to FPS at least they use their talents well in that genre, not that their FPS games are revolutionary, but their graphics are always a new milestone. The animations,voice acting, and facial expressions are top notch tho. This game to me is more like a tech Demo of what the xbone can do. Expand
  5. Jan 8, 2014
    After spending about 10 hours between the campaign and the Co-Op portions of Ryse: Son of Rome, I've realized something some people don't know how to rate titles. The lack of objectivity and reason go out the window with a lot of people that decide to rate games. That being said, Ryse is absolutely an awesome game. It's drop-dead gorgeous, extremely cinematic, and carries an engaging storyline that definitely unfolds nicely as you progress. Combat is a bit rudimentary but it isn't overly boring. Skill progression systems are present but super linear, making you wonder why they put all the effort into developing it if there wasn't any true diversity to the system. Many levels are breathtaking, making me stop at times to just see what an achievement Crytek has on their hands. It's just unfortunate that these levels tend to be overly guided which removes from any adventuring a player might want to experience. The Co-Op is more fun than I anticipated, with a tiered system that will allow you to scale up your "gladiator" as you build up experience, gear, and expertise with the levels themselves. However I'm not certain everyone that tries it out will be in love with it as it feels a bit repetitive at times so the fun could be fairly well sapped with just a few hours of play. That will be up to you to decide should you give Ryse a go. I would easily recommend the game, but I would also say to Crytek and Microsoft Game Studios that they have a real gem on their hands one that would be served better if they had borrowed more from games that obviously inspired the final product here. Fable, Gears of War, Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 3 all show themselves in their own way throughout. If I had to offer just one piece of advice to Crytek, it would be "add depth". Adding depth to the world you play through, adding depth to your character customization and development, adding depth to the characters themselves as the grow. Making a character feel like your own is one thing that keeps games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars afloat with dedicated fan bases. Ryse is an unfinished game of the year candidate. I for one hope this is the start of a continuing franchise. Expand
  6. Nov 28, 2013
    Way better than the anti-hype run up the internet boards would have you believe. I honestly bought it thinking it was going to be kinda crappy but figured it was launch and graphically it looked awesome so I'd get over it. I was pleasantly surprised that not only was the game not crappy but I ended up having a lot of fun with it.
  7. Jan 22, 2014
    Ryse: son of Rome is a game which gave me mixed feelings about it.I am enjoying my time with Ryse but I feel like there is something missing from the experience somewhere.the graphics are very impressive and so is the voice acting and story,but the game feels a little bit lost when it comes to what it wants to be for example there is rpg elements,shooter,and action as well.in no way is this game a bad experience,nor is it a blockbuster tittle either,with a little more love and improvements in the next Ryse tittle, I think this series could be great and lead to a contender for goty. Expand
  8. Nov 23, 2013
    Great cinematic experience. The game is also challenging where it counts. If you are looking for an experience then this game is for you. On the other hand if you are looking to grind and skip through the story then probably not so much.
  9. Nov 30, 2013
    Ryse Son of Rome has a good history, amazing graphics and physics, you can really see the emotions on the characters, the combat is fun and rewarding, has a leveling system, you can upgrade your character, i love this game.
  10. Mar 12, 2014
    Game is way too short and should not be $60 purchase.. The graphics are some of the best on console but that doesn't justify the poor excuse of a short game.. I'm aware that this is launch game and what not, but that is still no excuse. The game feels like a demo Any video game that is short like this doesn't deserve a high score. This game also has some of the most boring gameplay ever, it's fun at first but get repetitive very quickly. Expand
  11. Feb 2, 2014
    A very strong game, and on top of that insanely hard if you will dare to venture into the centurion/legendary difficulty. The combat is very interesting and quite demanding, while you possibly could just repeat one sequence of actions and eventual (after many reloads) win, if you want to trully excel and score a lot you will need to get busy and creative with your button mashing.
    It must
    also be mentioned that the game presentation is simply stunning, from the breath taking graphics, through music and ambient sounds to the voice commands that take you even deeper. Expand
  12. Dec 5, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game more than I thought I would. The graphics are incredible, but the single-player story is what really drew me in. The multilayer is also surprisingly fun. My only issue with the game is some of the enemies can be repetitive at times. Looking forward to a squeal!
  13. Nov 25, 2013
    I bought Forza 5 and dead rising 3 on launch day, I was hoping gamefly would ship me Ryse, it was not available so i ended up picking up Ryse over the weekend at Gamestop. WOW, glad I did that, one of the best looking games i have ever played. I have a high powered PC too, never played anything like this on my PC. The face animations are top notch. If you like games like Assassin's Creed and the Batman Arkham series you will enjoy the game play with Ryse. It can get repetitive, but you get different moves as the game progresses. Ignore the sony fanboys who have no lives and are giving this game zeros. I have played both systems and the Xbox one is the best by far. Expand
  14. Dec 21, 2013
    A gorgeous hack and slash that is a blast to play. This game is simply heaps of fun and to me that is the biggest and most often overlooked aspect of gaming nowadays. The combat is vicious and fluid and delivers those "OMG!" moments as you hack off limbs and impale enemies with your sword. You have 4 categories each chosen with a direction on the D-Pad that activate different attributes and different sets of death animations in each category so mixing the combat and animations up is really up to you and not that repetitive at all. The online component is even more entertaining than the single player! Wrecking havoc in the coliseum with a friend against waves of enemies and traps is very cool and again lots of fun. You can unlock sets of weapons and armor that affect your skills online differently depending on how you suit up for battle. This game is a perfect launch title IMO as it does a great job of keeping you coming back for more and it's overall fun factor...make no mistake though, it is easy to pick up and play but can be tough to master, especially on higher difficulties. Ryse represents my first must have title for the new generation, I love this game! Expand
  15. Jun 25, 2014
    When I bought Ryse I expected to be blown away with the stunning graphics and epic game play. But all I was left with was a game that looked like a 360 game and a story that gets boring very quickly.The graphics is not that amazing like everyone claims it is this game has the graphics of an Xbox 360 game and that is a big disappointment
  16. Dec 3, 2013
    Is this the best game made? No. However, it also is not the worst game made. I love how people complain it is repetitive. EVERY game made is repetitive, including MMOs. The fights feel like they were going for a Batman: Arkham (et al) feel to them and they were able to get the fluid part down.

This game was made with eye candy in mind. The scenery and environments were incredible.
    The people's expressions and body movements were really good as well. The details that you can see make you want to stop and just look around. It is a really good launch title that shows off what next gen is going to be like (and from here it will only get better). The atmosphere from the sounds were incredible as well. They also had top notch voice acting (when there was actually speaking).

Do I wish there was more to the game? A little. I wish they would have fleshed the story out a little more, it was pretty good but it seems to be a little short.

This game is kind of like Knack in that people are either going to hate it or they will really enjoy it.
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    I picked this up on launch night and am really enjoying it. It looks amazing, I have had my breath taken away many times. Its the sort of game that reminds me of playing in the arcades 20 years ago, you dont want to sit down for hours on end with it, just dip in for 1/2 hour sessions, play it on a high difficulty setting and you'll have fun hacking and slashing your way across Britain!
  18. Nov 22, 2013
    I find it funny how if you click on the name of someone who scored this game a 0 you can see how they gave every Xbone game a 0 and there beloved PS4 games a 10....
  19. Nov 26, 2013
    Probably the best looking next gen game so far. I understand that a lot of people are slating this because of the control system but honestly this is no more repetitive that and other hack and slash game. The game has a strong story that once completed left me wanting more. Crytek have done a great job with the game which should have received as lot more praise than most reviews have given it so far. Expand
  20. Dec 1, 2013
    I really enjoyed Ryse. The melee combat reminded me of the Batman franchise which I really like. The single player game isn't very long, unfortunately for some, but I don't have the attention span to play marathon experiences anymore so I personally prefer shorter games, though maybe you would wait a bit for a more accessible price for such a short game. The variety in enemies is disappointing. The credit claim the game took 7 years to create, so I'm assuming that energy went into the world and 3D character modeling and animation rather than gameplay features, however, it is a launch title after all and it is to be expected that a game like this would showcase the power of the system before it awes you into an inspiring story driven epic. Expand
  21. Feb 14, 2014
    Very good story, Very good graphics! Very beatiful and addictive game! At the moment BEST GAME for new generation consoles! There is no better game available today on new generation consoles!
  22. Nov 30, 2013
    I enjoy play this game, also voice integration is awesome, reward system is very good that put something else to the game to escape the repetitive system. That's all.
  23. Jun 18, 2014
    Ryse truly wasn't anything special (except those graphics are top!) but I feel like it didn't warrant all of it's criticism it does deserve a lot of it, yet in the end I thought it was decent. I thought it had a really good story, short, but good. The gameplay, while incredible repetitive and gets stale often, can be pretty fun in bursts. The multiplayer is surprisingly fun, mostly with friends, but it is pretty fun, Overall Ryse was a decent experience for me (maybe inflated cause I only paid 12 bucks for it) it can be fun but not wrth full price by any means. Expand
  24. Feb 3, 2014
    First of all, I'd like to say that I am not a fan of the beat'em all genre. Not at all. So when a game brings me to beat it twice, in a genre that I dislike, THAT IS A GOOD GAME. The thing is... What people tend to forget is that EVERY beat'em all game is repetitive. Any game of any genre actually. So what makes Ryse different ? It is incredibly addictive. The story is amazing, every character has its own personality, there is work behind that. A lot. And the universe is completely credible, and though it is fiction, I had no problem believing in every happening story event.

Gameplay side, the experience and character evolution is okay. Very classic, but still, you'll enjoy unlocking everything for your character, specially executions. And the game takes all its sense on Legendary difficulty. It is truly challenging. The AI is nothing like what any developer ever did before, since you'll feel like she's learning from your way of playing.

Graphically, I won't even bother explain how perfect it is. I've never seen such a realistic render. Shaders are just impressive.

Voice acting and all the soundtrack is of great quality.

And here's the conclusion, this game is a masterpiece of art. It is going to draw you all the way in a Roman second century drama. Its realization, and story will keep you from stop playing it.

I'll give it a ten, because I believe there will be a sequel, if it pushes further in character evolution.
  25. Mar 1, 2014
    Such an epic game. This is a game I have been wishing to play since childhood. Great story, great cinematics. I loved it, don't listen to the haters, give it a chance. The fight animations are BRUTAL and the combat is so enjoyable.
  26. Nov 22, 2013
    Ryse is basically a tech demo. It looks amazing, but it plays like mud and is extremely boring. Gameplay is buggy, broken and boring. The story is mediocre at best. Overall, I'd say skip it until it reaches the bargain bin.
  27. May 25, 2014
    First, the time period is fantastic along with the story line. Absolutely brilliant. The mechanics of the game are so flawless that you forget you are holding a controller. I know there are a lot of complaints of "repetitive" game play but the minute nuances in combat are one of the strongest parts of the game. I would surmise that those who are complaining have yet to make any progress in the arena because all your button mashing will do you no good there. Overall, this game was a fantastic experience and one that I come back to often to try my luck in the arenas. Expand
  28. Nov 25, 2013
    To give this game anything less than a 7 (or 70) is a crime. It's beautiful seriously. I just completed the campaign and then threw in Assassin's Creed Black Flag and was astonished at the difference between graphical quality. Yes, the moves in Ryse can get repetitive but what do you expect from a hack n' slash type game?

It's got a story that rivals a Hollywood Blockbuster, and
    seriously it is graphically stunning. I found myself slowing down and walking around astonished at how beautiful it was. That isn't the only reason to play the game though, aside from the same moves and the QTE executions I found the game play fun. I like hack n' slash games so I understood what I was getting and found it enjoyable. The only thing I wish they would have had more variety in was the executions. I'm okay with QTE's now and again, but they did get repetitive towards the middle and end. Repetitiveness aside, they still looked amazing when it would down time, speed it up, hack off an arm and then face smash them with your shield.

For anyone who is on here saying it looks great and amazing but then gives it a 1-4 because of the game play it's sad. Scores for a game like this don't deserve to be dragged down by those who don't understand what they are getting.

If you like hack n' slash games and want to play one with a solid story and see what the next gen Xbox is capable of right now pick this up.
  29. Nov 24, 2013
    Absolutely awesome game. Combat is simple to start and a bit of a challenge to master. Definitely worth the $60 I spent on it.

Single player length was short, but it had a great story. Much better than the cod single player campaigns.

The multiplayer is basic, but a lot of fun, especially with a friend. Setting up cool finishing moves and ranking up your character for gear leads
    to hours of fun. I'll probably sink a good 30+ hours into the game. That makes it well worth the money for me. Expand
  30. Nov 23, 2013
    Gameplay is repetitive and shallow as hell, However, its somehow enjoyable because of its fantastic production value save it from being a plain bad game.
  31. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jogo lindo, historia envolvente e muito mais!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  32. Nov 24, 2013
    Gorgeous game, would have been a 10 had it been longer. The combat is very fun in my opinion. To each their own i suppose, it is definitely worth a buy in my book.
  33. Jan 13, 2014
    I bought this game at launch and never played it until this past weekend. I completely expected to load up a turd and turn it off in 20 minutes. I was wrong. I do not understand all the hate and negativity for this game. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's certainly not the worst (Colonial Marines) as many mainstream reviews would have you believe. The graphics are simply gorgeous, the gameplay is smooth and the story is addicting. All elements for a great game. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet and the single player is a bit on the short side (6 hours) so kick up the difficulty for a bit more of a challenge. Don't listen to the negative reviews without trying this one for yourself. Expand
  34. Nov 24, 2013
    I just finished Ryse and im just blown away. I really loved it and im playing through it again on legendary. The combat for me is fun. I never get tired of whipping my opponent through the air and dismembering him as he falls down (just one example of tons of animations the developers have created). The brutality of the out come of a perfect parry and fighting several opponents at once is rewarding (you can't see that finisher animation if you get hit or keeping slashing without looking out for prompts). The only gripe I have is that the enemies repeat themselves so you end up fighting the same looking dude a lot of times or even two at once.
    Multiplayer is fun as heck. Character development for the campaign is a bit shallow but multiplayer's leveling up is addicting and being able to upgrade your character with gold is well done (although micro-transactions cheapen the feel a bit). Im confused about reviewers giving it such a low score but you really must try it. I guess perhaps being a fan of roman lore helped me get into it much more than others.
  35. Feb 2, 2014
    Excellent title launch for Xbox ONE with great graphics and story, but lack gameplay. The game show how powerful the microsoft console can be in the future.
  36. Nov 30, 2013
    From what I can tell from reviews here there are a lot of Sony or MS fanboys trying to fight their stupid side of the "console war," or PC fans who are unhappy about Crytek's focus on console starting with Crysis 2. This game is no The Last of Us, Bioshock, God of War, etc, but it's also not as bad as many claim either.
    Obvious bit first: this game is drop dead gorgeous. I really don't
    think that can be overstated. The combat is not that deep, which is frustrating because it would have been nice to expand your moveset as the game progressed, but it's not endlessly mashing X to Jason either, at least not if you play on higher than recruit difficulty. The game is short at around 5-6 hours long, it's mostly a hack and slash corridor title, and the story is pretty predictable. That said it's also somewhat of an enjoyable story. Nothing mind blowing and not exactly historically accurate, but a good "dumb action flick" with Centurions, barbarians, and some impressive atmosphere and setpieces. I bought this game with the sole purpose of delighting in the visuals, and was fully expecting to be bored stiff after reading all of the reviews out there, but I was pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoyed the experience.
    If you want to show off the fancy shininess of your new console, or if you just like simple straight forward hack-n-slash this is a good title for it.
    Note: I haven't checked out the multiplayer, so I can't give an opinion on that facet.
  37. Dec 25, 2013
    Ryse has a lot of potential to be a top tier experience, but the superficial core combat and story ripped right off gladiator leaves much to be desired. I had a lot of fun in the first few hours, but the game just kept going downhill after that. It just became a chore to finish. About 75% I didnt even care what happened next, thats how downhill it went. Its disappointing, cuz ryse has a lot going for it with its setting and amazing graphics and environment. The game just becomes way too repetitive without the addiction of new moves later in the game. Expand
  38. Nov 28, 2013
    Very good, entertaining, amazing graphics, gameplay mechanics and story, it is a very interesting and addicting story and whilst the gameplay can get just a bit boring at times, it is a very good for the most part, nothing to fault with this game really, I just kept wanting more. It's a shame that people who can't get it on their console have to be so disrespectful to the people that made this incredible game... Expand
  39. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is exactly what I wanted. Multiplayer is very fun as well and eliminates some of the repetition people are talking about. I didn't go into this game expecting it to change the world, I went in to have some simple fun and it delivers on all fronts and it looks beautiful while doing so. If your interested then pick it up because you already know by watching any gameplay what this game is like. Expand
  40. Jan 19, 2014
    Ryse is one of the most interesting launch games I've ever played, there are just as many great things about as there are faults. That said, I really enjoyed playing it for the most part, there's a surprisingly good story, it's graphically the most impressive game I've played on all the next gen systems, the audio and overall sound is superb, and killing animations are fluid, vibrant, and brutal. So what breaks a game that has so much good going for it? Simplistic gameplay. While there's nothing wrong with that, 5 - 7 hours of the same core mechanics gets old. It's a game I love to play in bursts and the gameplay is pretty fun then, but after awhile it gets stale. Think of the Batman Arkham games but if you could only use A, X, Y, B, and the right trigger for executions. While the power ups are damn awesome, Ryse succumbs to being too short, and looses interest soon. It's a fun and enjoyable game that I really liked, but it's more of the perfect "rent" kind of game. Expand
  41. Nov 26, 2013
    Makes use of the XBox One's capability and as a game its a fun melee combat game with a fun and engaging campaign. Its not for everyone but is something I am enjoying and really love the Romanesque story telling and the voice acting in the campaign is very well done.

Its not an earth shattering innovative game but it does not get repetitive as for me as other as complaining about.

The idea of "buying gold" to get skills in the campaign strikes me as a bit silly and I don't really care for that. Hopefully that is not available for acquiring the multiplayer skills. I look forward to jumping into the multiplayer but that was not my main motivation for purchasing this game.

My main issues have more to do with the XB One and the time it took to DL the patch and then install the game.
  42. Nov 22, 2013
    Stunning!

I can not believe the notes are receiving this title, I have been playing for several hours and I found it shocking, graphically is a tremendous leap, you gasp at every step you take and playable is very good, the combat system at all is boring I really do not understand anything that happened to this game in my notes but deserves a September 1 as a temple. Do not think twice
    and try it, do not want to sell the bike to anyone, in fact it is one of the first times I write and take in meristation since it began but such has been my impression with this game with respect to the notes that have not had no choice.

As I say Ryse is awesome, no more palliative.
  43. Jan 6, 2014
    The graphics are great, the story is good enough. I am not sure why everyone is saying the game play is boring and repetitive. I find this no more repetitive than any third-person action game. If you like games like Uncharted, you shouldn't really find this boring.

I feel like the story could be longer, and the worlds more open. It is pretty easy to find all of the extras hidden
    within the level. Not much replay value here, but if you can rent and play it all in a few days, or get a good deal on a price drop, check it out. Expand
  44. Feb 2, 2014
    This game is a great start for the next gen Xbox games. This game has the best looking graphics so far from any next gen game including PS4 titles. The sound is good and the VO is pretty darn good. The story does drag a little but really picks up at the end. The fighting is a little repetitive but it did not bother me that much at all.
    But be warned this is about a 6 hour game. So rent don't buy.
  45. Nov 22, 2013
    Everyone on here rating games a 0 or 1 are discrediting themselves and only making themselves look like idiot trolls. This game is not a 0 or a 1. It is somewhere between a 4 or an 8. Some people will like it if they want mostly great graphics and simple yet fun gameplay, others will prefer deeper gameplay and will grow tired of Ryse after an hour or two. That is fine. Please share valid reasons either way and find a fair rating. I have played most of the big budget games, and none of them are 0s or 1s! Some prefer halo, some prefer BF, and some prefer COD. Each one as their strengths and weaknesses, but none are totally broken or unplayable. Remove all 0s an 1 ratings and then add up the rest and you will get a better picture of how good or bad a game truly is. My take on Ryse:

Graphics 9
    Gameplay 6 (good but gets old after a few hours)
    Music 8 (good Hollywood style music)
    Story 7 (kept my interest, but the characters could use more depth)
    Length 4 (6 hours is too short, more fun on hard setting, co-op decent, not worth 60 dollars)

Overall 7
  46. Dec 7, 2013
    A below average game with boring gameplay awful QTE events that go on even if you fail to push the button and abysmal combat system. The historycal accuracy is nonexistant and the game is nothing more than a tech demo made to show how shiny things can be on the new xbone.
  47. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse is an absolutely beautiful game that delivers viscerally satisfying combat and an excellent narrative with fleshed out characters. This is what the next generation of console gaming is all about.
  48. Feb 25, 2014
    Ryse Son of rome was my absolute favorite game to release on the next generation of systems. The Graphics were absolutely breath taking, The story was incredible and even-though the game wasn't very long i absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. I really don't understand the hate the game has been getting because i have none to give. The ending was truly spectacular and i am just happy i ignored the critics and picked this up worth every penny! Expand
  49. Jun 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ryse is a visually stunning game that really turns up the graphics benchmark with the use of CryEngine. The game play mechanics tend to be enjoyable for a short period of time and the story line takes on a twist that I wasn't fully expecting.

Games made with the CryEngine do not need a review explaining that the graphics are good, this is to be expected with CryEngine so we'll continue with the original advertisement of this game.

When I first heard about Ryse I watched a trailer that showed someone playing the game with the Kinect and they were fighting. Swinging their arms like they had a sword, raising their arm like they had a shield, kicking the enemy away from them and finally hurling their sword. This was an excellent promotion that caught my attention. I thought to myself "Finally, someone is going to use the Kinect the way it needs to be used!"
    I was sadly disappointed to find the only Kinect features this game actually has in it are with voice commands which are rather useless.

With the Kinect features out of the question this game should be able to deliver spectacular fights and it almost seemed as if the developers had done so when you go through a kill animation and have to press certain buttons and see the spectacular method of killing your enemy.
    Although, after a few times of doing so you quickly realize that it's the same thing over and over. Killing an enemy without one of these sequences feels meaningless and killing them with one of those sequences becomes too repetitive.

Then they add a feature where you can press a button and everything around you slows down and you can start owning everyone around you. This feature seems neat as well but after a few uses you once again discover it's rinse and repeat all over again.

The story line to the game is almost good. The best part of the story line is when you discover you're Damocles. The way the game builds up the story behind Damocles makes it feel as if this warrior is so awesome that his presence would be enough to kill your enemy. Then you discover that you are Damocles in the manner that you were brought back for vengeance and at first it feels as if your character will be transformed somehow, maybe faster, or stronger with new kill animations or anew weapon.
    But this is not true. The only new thing that happens is your character places a mask over his face a few times.

After the campaign is over you're left with the arena which doesn't have very many options and isn't all that difficult to complete. Every game I've ever played that involved an arena or Colosseum have never gotten it wrong, until now. The developers did add several things to the arena that I haven't seen in previous games but these objects are generally not needed to win and therefore don't necessarily add to the game play.

Overall. Ryse is nothing close to what was shown in the early trailers. The graphics are very good which is expected from the CryEngine. Game play mechanics are too repetitive. The use of the Kinect is useless and should have been excluded entirely. The story line takes a very interesting twist and doesn't build on the character afterwards. The arena has things inside it that I haven't seen before giving the arena potential for unique combat, but ultimately isn't needed and isn't very challenging.
  50. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't understand all the hate that this game is receiving....so I will break down the game into a couple areas that people use to rate games:
    Story 8- the story was very well done I won't go into specifics because I don't want to spoil it for anyone however if you find ancient Rome to be a subject of interest this will be an enjoyable part of the game
    Combat 8- if you were a fan of
    batman games or any of the assassins creed games you will find similarities in the system I do feel that it is a little more difficult that both those games because you do have to get the timing (you cannot just spam block endlessly) of your blocks down to maximize your combo points which you use to upgrade your character, executions vary depending on your unlocks and the position of the characters ,there could have been a few more variations but this is a minor inconvenience and easily overlooked.
    Visuals 10- this game looks amazing!!!! definitely the best game I have seen and I have both the xbone and the ps4 if you are picky about which games you play because you have a fixation for games that have to be amazing visually you will love watching the executions and cinematics in this game even the most seasoned gamer would have to agree on this point never have I seen such fine lighting and particle effects even the hair on NPC characters is true to life amazing attention to detail.
    Replay 6- this game is short, a friend and I took turns playing and easily beat it on soldier difficulty in 5 hours watching all the cinematics .you are encouraged to play through again on higher difficulties to max out your character and also if you are an achievement hunter, I have not played the multiplayer yet however as I understand it this is also connected with your offline character so you play the campaign to upgrade then go fight in the arena against waves of enemies .
    Bottom line: I gave this game an 8 because I really believe that if you have an xbone you should do yourself a favour and play this game, its short and sweet but well worth it to experience what next gen is capable of...besides you can beat it in no time and still get good trade for it while its still new.
  51. Dec 17, 2013
    My first impressions of this game was anything but good. The characters, the story, the linear gameplay. Apart from the fantastic looks and the delightful violence, this game seemed to totally iss the target. But I paid for it, so I continued playing. After the first sequence, which is more like a tutorial-session that sets the base of the story, this game really takes a turn for the better. The fighting, which seemed easy and dull, quickly turns into challenging and fun

gameplay. The acting and story, which seemed just lame, all of a sudden becomes really good. I even tried the

kinect-part, where you can give orders to your soldiers by shouting them; it is a LOT faster than holding LB, and at

higher difficulties you need the edge. The giving orders part is not a big part of the game, by the way.

The fighting can almost be compared to Assassins Creed, but it is a lot less forgiving. Ryse is all about timing and situational awareness, the reward for a perfect combo or a double execution makes you really want to master it. Cutting off limbs, crushing heads, impaling and shield smashing. I rarely enjoyed it more. Boy was I wrong about this game.

Multiplayer is gladiator 2 player coop against waves of enemies. Great fun. Win fights, buy better gear and fight on. I can't how long this game will last, but right now it's bang for the buck. A lot more than I'd expect from Crytec.
  52. Nov 23, 2013
    I enjoyed the game. It's not groundbreaking or anything by any means. It's visually stunning, the gameplay works very well, but it is repetitive. They definitely haven't tried to push boundaries on that part, but if it ain't broke don't fix it, right? All in all, a bug free enjoyable visually stunning gaming experience. PS: I do my best to avoid reading '1s' and '10s' as both scores are utterly entirely ridiculous. Expand
  53. Nov 26, 2013
    Personally I don't understand the hate being generated towards this amazing game. The game play is challenging and is not repetitive. I can't understand why a game that has the same combat mechanics of the Batman Arkham series and Assasins Creed would score so low. Great great game don't believe the misinformation being spread to the contrary.
  54. Nov 27, 2013
    Pros: The game looks really good, and it was kind of neat to go into battle formation with other soldiers.

Cons: Repetitive, predictable, no challenge, only 10 stages.

It was a pretty big let down.
  55. Jan 9, 2014
    The game was not bad. The graphics are awesome and the game play was fun but the game was very very short. I beat it in about 6 hours. The combat was pretty repetitive but it was still fun. This game started off as a Kinect game and you can tell but they did a good job reverting the game to a traditional control scheme. I hesitated buying the game because I had heard it was so short and I didn't want to pay $60 for a game that short. Now that I finished the game I feel that fear was justified. The multiplayer was pretty fun but I couldn't really get into that much. I honestly feel that the next iteration of Ryse will be a much better game. They'll be 100% focused on the control scheme and they'll be able to add more depth and variety. Expand
  56. Jan 8, 2014
    This is definitely one of those games that requires you to enter with a certain set of expectations. Ryse looks phenomenal, which is possibly an understatement. The graphics are excellent, but what truly makes this game shine are the character animations. The characters move just as in real life, but more importantly, the facial animations truly capture human emotions and convey them effortlessly. It's like watching LA Noire, but with better facial animations, dialogue, and better graphics.
    The gameplay is repetitive. There's no getting around that. That aspect makes the game really fun for short stints, but not ideal for extremely long playthroughs. I really enjoyed the ability to choose what I'd receive for my executions though. Concentrating on this aspect allowed me to ignore the repetition and become more strategic. Overall, I'd easily recommend the game if you can get it for $50 or less. It's extremely impressive, and for short to moderate stints, it's a lot of fun. Its not trying to be perfect, and it would be a shame if people skipped over it for that reason. The story alone is quite impressive. Definitely worth your time!
  57. Nov 23, 2013
    game is too short to get boring like everyone says. the online is great fun competition. best looking game of next gen. combat is smooth. in game menu's are smooth. good story telling. the campaign is short so it you are just going for that and no multiplayer then rent this game.
  58. Nov 25, 2013
    This is my PERSONAL opinion, and I think everyone should play the game before judging it.

I was disappointed at early reviews myself and almost cancelled my pre-order. Went ahead and jumped in and have really enjoyed the game. The story could be better, but it is good and somewhat deep if you really break it down.

The game play does have a few quirks about it, but once you iron
    those out (or get used to them) it's a lot of fun. Caring it into the co-op with a friend is even better. Hopefully a sequel or another game follows this in a few years, because I would love to see the improvements.

Remember it was publicly announced that this game was a planned 360 game originally, then they changed it mid-development. So seeing what they can do with the goal in mind of being on the XBOX One to start will be awesome.
  59. Mar 22, 2014
    This game is a bit repetitive but it is a very good game great story, good multi player. Crytek is known for having very good visual games, an example would be Crysis 2. After playing this game I am now truly looking forward Homefront 2 and see what they will bring.
  60. Nov 25, 2013
    I bought this game through Amazon because I had some amazon gift cards that I hadn't used. I bought it that way because I didn't want to actually buy it because of the bad reviews. After playing it, I'm surprised it got such bad reviews. This game is a lot of fun. It's a beautiful game and the gameplay and story are great.
  61. Jan 7, 2014
    Underrated Game. Honestly. 7-8 would be fair. Play on hardest setting for full enjoyment as the easy settings are too easy- This may be the reason for some of the poor reviews, although I do not believe that a lot of the low scores have even played it (sad I know). I have dabbled with the Gladiator co-op and really liked that too. BAD points- Lack of variety with weapons, sometimes frustrating camera angles and no PVP. PVP would suit this game well. It's not the a complete game but definitely better than the overall review score suggests Expand
  62. Feb 8, 2014
    Ryse son of Rome is A fun fighter, if your looking for something easy. The graphics are good, but have a grainy look to them, i think there hiding clarity with it.
  63. Dec 11, 2013
    A great new franchise with great ambitions in a setting that has yet to be seen on the 360/One world. No doubt there will be a sequel to this game. If you want to prove and put your Xbox One to the test this game is pure eye candy. The story is pretty good and keeps your attention. There is a lot of room for improvement though. I would really like to see PVP and an open world like assasins creed has done. The arena feels a bit tacked on and the game is a 50gb install so make sure you have the space. Expand
  64. May 22, 2014
    This game is more style then substance. The graphics and facial animations in this game are top notch. The combat starts out fun and interesting, but quickly gets repetitive within a few hours. The game starts out strong, but I found myself rushing through the later levels to get the campaign over with. Thankfully for me the story was rather short, only took about 5-6 hours to beat the game without looking for every collectible. I could see a sequel that fixes this games problems showing quite a bit of promise. Expand
  65. Jan 14, 2014
    The amount of zeros and ones this game has garnered is undeserving. Ryse may not be the best game ever, but it's certainly fun, entertaining and artistic enough to earn a 6.5 or 7.

I'll start with it's flaws - it's gameplay can be repetitive, linear, and not very engaging. At its worst, Ryse is too easy or too hard for all the wrong reasons. You basically learn your character's entire
    skill/move set within an hour of playing the game and can't really customize Marius' action mechanics for new combos or new attacks. Every fight ultimately becomes a different variation of block-roll-attack-"focus" until marius is able to quicktime someone to death. Furthermore, even though the landscape and game environment is beautiful, it really isn't interactive at all. There are times when the player might ask himself whether the sequence he just participated in might not have been better off as a cutscene. Essentially, the bottom line is that Ryse has gameplay that can be overly directed and repetitive.

However, that doesn't mean the game isn't fun. Even though it was repetitive, ripping apart barbarians was both challenging and fun. Just because you're given the same basic set of moves doesn't mean enemies and fights aren't difficult or interesting. Whereas sometimes the game only asks you to press a button or two, many of the boss battles and fight sequences require the player to quickly react to a series of actions. It was like playing assassin's creed or arkham city except it was actually possible to lose if you didn't keep your actions and blocks precise.

Plus (as everyone has already highlighted) it's a gaming cinematic masterpiece. The graphics and voice acting are superb - even if the story is a little cheesy.
  66. Mar 20, 2014
    It's pretty obvious that this game was supposed to be more of a tech-demo than a real game. In fact, I'd say that even as a tech demo it looks pretty darn sorrow. Heck that was an understatement. The gameplay of course is what matters, right? Well here it's been thrown out the window, along with the visuals, the aesthetics, the feel and the immersion. I love the Roman era, but this has done nothing but cover it with crap. FYI Crytek, never, ever use quick-time events, ever! I got a refund the next day. Expand
  67. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse: Son Of Rome may have its repetitive sword fights, but Crytek delivers us a brief look at some history in a beautiful world, a truly stunning game at the launch of next generation of Xbox.
  68. Dec 23, 2013
    It's fun and enriching.
    On rails.
    Combo executions.
    In game purchases are the latest fad.
    Buy a bag of gold ala INFINITY BLADE.
    There is still a lot to offer.
  69. Dec 3, 2013
    Ryse is a wonderful example of what a next gen game should look like and you will be hard pressed to find anything that will show off what this new generation of games will start to look like, better than this! Now that I have stated that fact let me just point out that this game doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. Right from the start it gets right down to the business of hack and slash. There isn't anything wrong with this either. Sometimes its nice to have a simple game that looks phenomenal and has smooth fluid game play. I have read a lot of reviews with people trying to wax philosophical about this game and its shortcomings. The reality is there isn't anything like this to compare it to on Xbox. So just ignore that noise! The reality is you get what you see with Ryse and if you realize exactly what this game is before you play you will not be disappointed! I have had an absolute blast so far with its uncomplicated, beautiful and brutal combat. I am generally a hardcore RPG player but this game really is hard to ignore! Do yourself a favor and pick it up! Expand
  70. Dec 5, 2013
    Ok, so I wasn't gonna buy this one, and fate just threw it on my lap. So I played it.
    Since I had read loads of reviews, I was already expecting something bad. Like, really really bad.
    At the beginning of the game I felt it was an incomplete piece os sh*t, with shallow gameplay that didn't even require me to press buttons at quick time events.
    I even turned off my console and planned to
    sell the game. But, since it was a gift, I decided to at least go through the whole thing one time.
    And you know what? The game is actually kinda cool.
    Executions are not at all varied, but they are very cool-looking and easy to perform, with easy and very responsive controls.
    the skill tree is shallow as hell, period.
    The plot is overall very good, voice acting is competent and of course, graphics are awesome.
    So what I can say is this: Don't get dragged by the negative hype. Give this one a chance.
    It might not be a deep game with lots of options, but it is a good first appearance of a new franchise on a new platform, and it could be greatly improved on future instalments.
    It's certainly not the game we hoped for, and also not the piece of crap others say it is.
  71. Nov 29, 2013
    I have mixed feelings for this game. I neither a good game, nor is it a bad game. This is what I thought about it after finishing the game.
    Story 6/10
    Its your typical Revenge story. Marius goes out to avenge the death of his family, vengeance is finally made, yada yada yada. You get the picture. Its a pretty good story though, but it will get forgettable after time.
    Graphics 10/10

This is by far the most beautiful looking games I have ever played (2nd best to KZ SF that is). Combat is fluid, animations are smooth, and texture quality is perfect. A game that looks this great shows a good future for the X1.
    Gameplay 7/10
    Its your basic hack 'n slash game. Combat is actually pretty fun, but do to the lack of enemy variety leads to repetition. You;ll quickly find yourself fighting the same enemies over and over again. Executions are cool, but are all done using QTEs, which is disappointing.
    Online 5/10
    The online portion of the game isn't so successful. Its basically played the same way the SP is played only with another player. The changing arena helps change up the gameplay, but ultimately, you still do the same thing over and over again in each area.
    Verdict 6/10
    Ryse: Son of Rome may be the best looking game on the X1, but a forgettable story, repetitive gameplay, and a lackluster online portion, makes this another sword fighting game we've pretty much already seen before.
  72. May 2, 2014
    Ryse of Rome presents a great launch title, the chronology of the story is interesting although not entirely original, whilst the plot itself isn't amazing it does present plenty of 'this is sparta'/'I am a freaking badass' moments.

The sword play and executions are very cool and keep you entertained through what is mechanically a quite repetitive control set, and the sparse
    opportunities to take control of your legion whilst again simple are very satisfying.

The game is short, however I think this works in it's favour, if this game were 20 hours long it would become dreadfully stale but for a 6-7 hours rompfest it keeps you thoroughly entertained. I feel the reviews suffer from peoples expectations for ryse son of rome and I like many was expecting something with a bit more depth, however the graphics and obvious attention to detail in creating excellently modeled swordplay have left me with an experience to remember.
  73. Mar 19, 2014
    Ryse: Son of Rome, is a boring button mashing game, that shins so bright it give me the chills. The best graphical game to date easily goes to Ryse however it fails to live up to the high standards of the open scene. I become bored and tired after a hour of game play, felt like a "been there done that" experience. Characters felt cheesy and life less however it runs excellent without a bug or glitch. The only recommendation i could make is a rent at best! Nothing but a whole lot of AVERAGE. Expand
  74. Nov 30, 2013
    This game looks stunning.
    The game play mechanics work well too and shows off the Xbox Ones capabilities excellently.
    Campaign is short but enjoyable and worth playing a couple times and multiplayer is good fun, performing execution moves on fellow gamers is a joy.
    I'd say this is a must have title on your new Xbox One, I now have both the Xbox & PS4 and this has been the highlight of
    my gaming experience from the games I own, Ryse & Need for Speed on Xbox, battlefield 4 on PS4.

I've read in other reviews that there's limited enemy types, this is true but who cares when you're chopping them up? They all look the same in the end.
  75. Apr 5, 2014
    Merda delle merde putridume del putridume................................................................................................................
  76. Nov 22, 2013
    Ive read a lot of reviews saying this game is bad, but it isn't all bad. The only thing that I can admit it does wrong is the length of the game which I clocked in about 7 hours worth. The gameplay is amazing watching the executions never gets old, the story is good as well maybe not the best, but you tell its trying to be something different. I loved this game and i loved how it looked no matter where you are in it. A great first game on the xbox one. Don't judge it on the bad reviews try it for yourself and I'm pretty sure you'd love it as well. Expand
  77. Dec 9, 2013
    Its just beautiful in terms of graphics, the story is interesting and also it is fun, the most important thing in a videogame. The issues start when we go come down to gameplay cause the game is too rigid, you have to do the stuff just like the game tolds you, you cant explore the amazing enviorment, the fighting is the same almost all the time, but in some way it works, at last there are some sequences very boring, specially the ones where you have to throw.some arrows. Finally the multiplayer although is very effective is very limited. In conclusion is not a masterpiece but even if you see the horrible grades this game has received, dont let them discourage to buy this ok.game. Expand
  78. Jan 26, 2014
    Very bland game that depends on it's graphics to entertain instead of the gameplay. Played it on launch night with friends. Was bored of it in 5 minutes. A pretty standard launch title.
  79. Nov 22, 2013
    A pretty good tech demo obviously, but a pretty bad game on the other hand, repetitive and boring after 15 minutes of gameplay. Watching the videos will give you all what this "game" has to offer visuals, no need to buy it or even play it. The problem with only nice-looking games is that they won't remain nice for long, especially in this new gen.
  80. Jun 14, 2014
    The more I play Ryse: Son of Rome, the more I loathe its stupidity, its love of gory violence like it's something cool, and stupid map layouts. "Kill the barbarians" seems to be the only mission.
  81. Apr 11, 2014
    For a start the graphics are the best I have ever seen, everything looks so smooth, consistent and realistic. The controls are very responsive and smooth. The storyline is actually very well done, a few twists and turns which keep you guessing and very good overall really. There is a co-operative multiplayer mode laced with different arenas, and modes fun for a little while. The combat however simple was extremely satisfying and gruesome, ever fitting with the brutal element which resides in the heart of rome itself. Expand
  82. Dec 27, 2013
    The graphic is amazing. Cinematic story is sick. And the multiplayer is surprisingly fun. Wish there were more varieties of enemies though. i would definitely buy a sequel
  83. Jan 3, 2014
    Ryse certainly does look amazing, Very amazing job well done by Crytek on the graphics but how is the gameplay you may ask? Well it is okay, Fun for the first 2 hours but once you know what you're doing with attacking, chaining combos, blocking and executing enemies. It does become repetitive and tedious to play whenever you're playing story or arena mode.

If you want to play it, Either
    wait for it to become cheap or borrow it from a friend. It is not worth paying full for this game Expand
  84. Nov 23, 2013
    I want you guys to look who is making negative reviews. By and large they are people who downvote every XBone game. I know why. You know why. Ignore their ratings. READ the top reviews.

I'm giving this game a ten to help balance out the scores. It is probably about an 8. Why? Production values. As a fellow game designer I have rarely seen such a beautifully put together world. The story
    is a bit weak, but lets face it... was God of War any better? No, it was a cliche rip off of mythology. This is FAR better than that in my opinion because I could almost believe parts of it.

I don't find the gameplay boring, but it does get repetitive. But all games do in my opinion and I've been playing them since the start of the video game era in the 80's.

I've got great hope that addons to this game are going to make it one of the must haves, which is already is... simply for it's beauty.

Game on fellow players.
  85. Nov 26, 2013
    Honestly? I feel Ryse has gotten some poor reviewing. I feel that the reviewers didn't look deep enough into the game to see that its a game of brutality from back in the Roman Empire. The combat that Crytek gave us is more than enough! This isn't God of War which also is a very repetitive hack and slash game. God of War is also very linear and predictable. It does have puzzles and a better story sure. I think Ryse is perfect for a launch title, especially a 3rd person action game which is normally on sony consoles. The graphics are amazing and showcase the early stages of what the Xbox One can do. The combat is perfect! Yes, you constantly come up to barbarians over and over again but its still fun to pull off your own combos and executions. There's no magic in the game but why would there be? The focus is perfect! Having Marius go berserk for a few seconds is a cool way too off tough enemies. The boss battles can be a pain because when the boss glows red with a heavy attack, there is no way to block nor dodge it. At least I haven't figured it out yet. I started the game the hard level, which I have found to be extremely challenging! I just think this game should have gotten a hard 8. 90% of the negatives on here are all sony fans mad that this game is not on their console. Because we all know if it was, there would be hell to pay for such poor reviews. I like Ryse especially for a launch title. Its my favorite launch title out of both next gen consoles. I haven't even touched my PS4 since I got this game.... Expand
  86. Apr 18, 2014
    This is the best looking game I have ever see, it makes you think about the potential of the xbox one when you see graphics like this. I cannot understand why people are buying a ps4 with games like this and Forza on the xbox one. They may not be classics but they show great potential. Please people if you haven't picked a console yet, buy an xbox one, you will not be disappointed.
  87. Nov 25, 2013
    This game is awesome. The reviewers have no idead what they are talking about. Awesome graphics, story and gameplay. The combat works better than any other game.
  88. Nov 22, 2013
    the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 ga
  89. Nov 22, 2013
    Sony fanboys are flooding the user review section just because they want the game to fail, so ignore the 0, 1 rating (and the Xclusiveitalian user, he gave 0 for all Xbox games and 10 for all PS4 games) because it doesn't make sense.
    Now talking about the game. It's gorgeous, and easily the best looking game to date. But, that's not all.
    The game plays good and fluid, but may became a
    little repetitive near the end. But that's normal for a action hack'n slash game. If you like roman, action, bloody, visceral game with a very good story, Ryse is for you. If you get bored quickly, and don't like blood, Ryse is not for you and is better to wait for a price drop.
    But the best you can do is try it by yourself, because it's love or hate game, like Halo.
    And one of the best games I've ever played is 55 score on metacritic, so reviews is not always what you're gonna think about the game. Better try it. And in my opinion, you're gonna have hours of fun playing Ryse!
  90. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a wonderful game. Don't be fooled by the critics and the fanboys who don't have a XBox ONE or the game.

The Story is great and keep pushing you ahead through the chapters.

The gameplay is very good, you have to learn the perfect timming between block and counter attack. Sometimes you are surronded by various enemies, and have to apply the right strategy to get
    out alive.

The graphics are incredible, fantastic and you don't find, even in PC, other game so beautiful. Fantastic light effects and textures.
    The permance is very good, the slowdowns are absent.

Ryse: Son of Rome is one of the best games in this genre. The critis forget what fun is. And the fanboys... one day they will learn...
  91. Nov 22, 2013
    This might be one of my favorite games to play! It was the first game that I popped in to play when I got my xbox one. The graphics look spectacular! The storyline is great. The graphic kills my favorite part! I would have given it a higher score but the campaign is short.. but after the first three hours of the game you know exactly what to do and I like that! With more DLC to come for this game I look forward to the future hopefully a difficulty spike cuz I get thru hack and slash games rather quickly. But if you want quick out of the box fun pick up Ryse Expand
  92. Nov 24, 2013
    It's not really that bad. The gameplay is repeative, yes, but the graphics are phenomenal and the setting is quite great. If you enjoyed movies like Gladiator and 300 you will definitely enjoy this one
  93. Dec 5, 2013
    This game has the best visuals of all the next gen launch games without a doubt. The combat in this game is simple, perhaps a bit repetitive, but it's fun and never gets boring. The story is good but at the same time feels shallow and rushed. At the time of this writing this game is not a must own, however, it is a must play.

TL;DR
    The visuals are absolutely stunning, the gameplay
    while shallow is fun, and the story is good however too short... Not a must own but a must play. Expand
  94. Nov 27, 2013
    I really don't know why all the "professional" reviewers are being so harsh on this game. I just completed it and had a blast doing so. First of all gorgeous, GORGEOUS game. I mean really breathtaking. One of the best if not THE best looking game I have seen. Sound-wise is great too, voice acting is very natural, music is epic and appropriately atmospheric. Story is not the greatest I've seen but it's not bad either. It's there to keep you moving forward and give you purpose and it does it's job. Combat system can be a bit repetitive but not more-so than in any other game from this genre and it's very meaty and "powerfull". You can feel the impact and momentum behind your strikes and executions (of which there are LOTS but you need to unlock them as you level up) make you feel like a real badass. Don't make the mistake I made where after leveling up I was only improving my attributes at the beginning only to find out much later on that you can unlock new executions as well:).
    The game is quite easy so if you want a challenge go for a higher difficulty straight away. It's also not very long (not too short either mind you just slightly below average I'd say) so upping the difficulty will squeeze some more time out of this title. There is multi-player but it's nothing too memorable. You'll play for a couple of hours (a couple more if you have a good buddy with you) and you'll be done with it. It's certainly not a game that will make you come back and play for hours on end.
    You have to consider if paying full price for a game you finish in 8-10 (maybe up to 15 if you find multi-player enjoyable) hours is something you can afford. If yes then you will probably have good time with it (I certainly did), but if not you can easily wait for a bargain later on. I bet in 6 months time this will still look just as good and for half the price this already good game should be even better:)
  95. Nov 22, 2013
    It felt like I have played this game before. Oh wait I did, except it was the complete opposite of this game. This game has good graphics (to console players), but did they just make terrible gameplay on purpose? Or does the cryengine just suck when it comes to this style of games? Just a linear, boring, from high budget-to low effort. I would rather play Cursed Crusade then this game. At least that game had a characters that I grew to love and wanted to succeed. Expand
  96. Dec 21, 2013
    This game does not really deserve a 10, but it most definitely does not deserve anything less than a 7, so I wanted to bring its average rating up a little because I can't stand all the jaded jerks that give games a "0" or "1". Very, very few games deserve such a low rating. Anyone that rates a game a "0" to "4" really has a chip on their shoulder and cannot be taken seriously.

All
    that being said, this game is good, almost great. The graphics are the best of the next-gen, and the gameplay is just like God of War, so I don't know why everyone knocks it. I would say the game is a solid 7.5, good, but not one of the greats, but very good. In my opinion, definitely worth picking up, especially if you want to see next-gen graphics. Expand
  97. Jun 30, 2014
    Brilliant visuals and some epic moments do not make-up for its repetitive gameplay and overall presentation. As some critics have pointed out, this game feels more like a presentation of the visual capabilities of the One.
  98. Nov 22, 2013
    A very very bad game. The graphics are certainly good but the gameplay is incredibly repetitive, tedious and simplistic. Playing Ryze; son of rome feels like a chore twenty minutes in.
  99. Dec 7, 2013
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a demonstration of 4th generation CryEngine. By abandoning xbox 360 and PS3, the game has achieved a new level of visuals that is never achieved before. This is definitely the best looking game of 2013. The story is a little bit short. Even after going through the entire game, there is still something that hasn't been told well. But the story is great. The gameplay is undeniably repetitive because of lacking of new type of enemies, new weapons, and new combat methods. But overall gameplay and control is fluent and solid. I have to say, there are people giving it 10/10 by impressive graphics, voice acting, and solid combat. But this game is not perfect yet. There are a lot of improvements could have been done. So any score over 8 is subjective. Also, some people are focusing more game play and don't care about story. Sometimes they give this game 3 or 4 out of 10. This is also biased and subjective. This game at least is solid in every aspect. Therefore, it at least deserves 6 or 7 out of 10. Thinking of this is the first game only on next gen console, the quality of it deserves 7 out of 10. So this is the reason I gave it 7. Expand
  100. Nov 22, 2013
    the visuals are stunning, the graphics are insane
    but the gameplay is just tedious and boring, extremely repetitive and no fun at all
    CryTek might be good at creating ultra visuals, but they totally forgot they are making a video game, not CG movie...
    a 7 hours long cliche, that's what it's all about...
    disappointing, boring, waste of time and money

1. May 11, 2014
    Ryse is visually stunning, but the combat system lacks finesse and gets kinda repetitive. [Feb 2014]
  2. Feb 10, 2014
    It has some really good moments but overall it’s just a presentation of Xbox One’s graphical capabilities that bores you with primitive combat and does little to keep you playing. [02/2014, p.55]
  3. Jan 29, 2014
    Ryse is fun at points but is ultimately held back by its repetitious nature. Still the game is a great way to show off the graphical capability of the Xbox One.