6.0

1. Nov 23, 2013
    I totally disagree wit all the negative remarks made on this game. Great gameplay, gorgeous graphics and an arsenal of finishing moves makes this game a must have for Xbox one owners. There is nothing like this out there, and for a launch title, this game makes the Xbox one worth buying... unlike KillZone SF for PS4, that game really left me wanting more. Buy this game. You'll love it!
  2. Nov 23, 2013
    Great cinematic experience. The game is also challenging where it counts. If you are looking for an experience then this game is for you. On the other hand if you are looking to grind and skip through the story then probably not so much.
  3. Nov 30, 2013
    Ryse Son of Rome has a good history, amazing graphics and physics, you can really see the emotions on the characters, the combat is fun and rewarding, has a leveling system, you can upgrade your character, i love this game.
  4. Nov 25, 2013
    I bought Forza 5 and dead rising 3 on launch day, I was hoping gamefly would ship me Ryse, it was not available so i ended up picking up Ryse over the weekend at Gamestop. WOW, glad I did that, one of the best looking games i have ever played. I have a high powered PC too, never played anything like this on my PC. The face animations are top notch. If you like games like Assassin's Creed and the Batman Arkham series you will enjoy the game play with Ryse. It can get repetitive, but you get different moves as the game progresses. Ignore the sony fanboys who have no lives and are giving this game zeros. I have played both systems and the Xbox one is the best by far. Expand
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    I find it funny how if you click on the name of someone who scored this game a 0 you can see how they gave every Xbone game a 0 and there beloved PS4 games a 10....
  6. Nov 26, 2013
    Probably the best looking next gen game so far. I understand that a lot of people are slating this because of the control system but honestly this is no more repetitive that and other hack and slash game. The game has a strong story that once completed left me wanting more. Crytek have done a great job with the game which should have received as lot more praise than most reviews have given it so far. Expand
  7. Nov 30, 2013
    I enjoy play this game, also voice integration is awesome, reward system is very good that put something else to the game to escape the repetitive system. That's all.
  8. Mar 1, 2014
    Such an epic game. This is a game I have been wishing to play since childhood. Great story, great cinematics. I loved it, don't listen to the haters, give it a chance. The fight animations are BRUTAL and the combat is so enjoyable.
  9. Nov 24, 2013
    Absolutely awesome game. Combat is simple to start and a bit of a challenge to master. Definitely worth the $60 I spent on it.

Single player length was short, but it had a great story. Much better than the cod single player campaigns.

The multiplayer is basic, but a lot of fun, especially with a friend. Setting up cool finishing moves and ranking up your character for gear leads
    to hours of fun. I'll probably sink a good 30+ hours into the game. That makes it well worth the money for me. Expand
  10. Nov 24, 2013
    I just finished Ryse and im just blown away. I really loved it and im playing through it again on legendary. The combat for me is fun. I never get tired of whipping my opponent through the air and dismembering him as he falls down (just one example of tons of animations the developers have created). The brutality of the out come of a perfect parry and fighting several opponents at once is rewarding (you can't see that finisher animation if you get hit or keeping slashing without looking out for prompts). The only gripe I have is that the enemies repeat themselves so you end up fighting the same looking dude a lot of times or even two at once.
    Multiplayer is fun as heck. Character development for the campaign is a bit shallow but multiplayer's leveling up is addicting and being able to upgrade your character with gold is well done (although micro-transactions cheapen the feel a bit). Im confused about reviewers giving it such a low score but you really must try it. I guess perhaps being a fan of roman lore helped me get into it much more than others.
  11. Nov 28, 2013
    Very good, entertaining, amazing graphics, gameplay mechanics and story, it is a very interesting and addicting story and whilst the gameplay can get just a bit boring at times, it is a very good for the most part, nothing to fault with this game really, I just kept wanting more. It's a shame that people who can't get it on their console have to be so disrespectful to the people that made this incredible game... Expand
  12. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is exactly what I wanted. Multiplayer is very fun as well and eliminates some of the repetition people are talking about. I didn't go into this game expecting it to change the world, I went in to have some simple fun and it delivers on all fronts and it looks beautiful while doing so. If your interested then pick it up because you already know by watching any gameplay what this game is like. Expand
  13. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse is an absolutely beautiful game that delivers viscerally satisfying combat and an excellent narrative with fleshed out characters. This is what the next generation of console gaming is all about.
  14. Nov 25, 2013
    I bought this game through Amazon because I had some amazon gift cards that I hadn't used. I bought it that way because I didn't want to actually buy it because of the bad reviews. After playing it, I'm surprised it got such bad reviews. This game is a lot of fun. It's a beautiful game and the gameplay and story are great.
  15. Dec 23, 2013
    It's fun and enriching.
    On rails.
    Combo executions.
    In game purchases are the latest fad.
    Buy a bag of gold ala INFINITY BLADE.
    There is still a lot to offer.
  16. Nov 23, 2013
    I want you guys to look who is making negative reviews. By and large they are people who downvote every XBone game. I know why. You know why. Ignore their ratings. READ the top reviews.

I'm giving this game a ten to help balance out the scores. It is probably about an 8. Why? Production values. As a fellow game designer I have rarely seen such a beautifully put together world. The story
    is a bit weak, but lets face it... was God of War any better? No, it was a cliche rip off of mythology. This is FAR better than that in my opinion because I could almost believe parts of it.

I don't find the gameplay boring, but it does get repetitive. But all games do in my opinion and I've been playing them since the start of the video game era in the 80's.

I've got great hope that addons to this game are going to make it one of the must haves, which is already is... simply for it's beauty.

Game on fellow players.
  17. Apr 18, 2014
    This is the best looking game I have ever see, it makes you think about the potential of the xbox one when you see graphics like this. I cannot understand why people are buying a ps4 with games like this and Forza on the xbox one. They may not be classics but they show great potential. Please people if you haven't picked a console yet, buy an xbox one, you will not be disappointed.
  18. Nov 25, 2013
    This game is awesome. The reviewers have no idead what they are talking about. Awesome graphics, story and gameplay. The combat works better than any other game.
  19. Nov 22, 2013
    the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 game the best x1 ga
  20. Nov 24, 2013
    Ryse: Son of Rome is a wonderful game. Don't be fooled by the critics and the fanboys who don't have a XBox ONE or the game.

The Story is great and keep pushing you ahead through the chapters.

The gameplay is very good, you have to learn the perfect timming between block and counter attack. Sometimes you are surronded by various enemies, and have to apply the right strategy to get
    out alive.

The graphics are incredible, fantastic and you don't find, even in PC, other game so beautiful. Fantastic light effects and textures.
    The permance is very good, the slowdowns are absent.

Ryse: Son of Rome is one of the best games in this genre. The critis forget what fun is. And the fanboys... one day they will learn...
  21. Dec 21, 2013
    This game does not really deserve a 10, but it most definitely does not deserve anything less than a 7, so I wanted to bring its average rating up a little because I can't stand all the jaded jerks that give games a "0" or "1". Very, very few games deserve such a low rating. Anyone that rates a game a "0" to "4" really has a chip on their shoulder and cannot be taken seriously.

All
    that being said, this game is good, almost great. The graphics are the best of the next-gen, and the gameplay is just like God of War, so I don't know why everyone knocks it. I would say the game is a solid 7.5, good, but not one of the greats, but very good. In my opinion, definitely worth picking up, especially if you want to see next-gen graphics. Expand
  22. Nov 22, 2013
    This is a strange one for me.. i didnt expect to enjoy Ryse. Wasnt impressed by any vids had viewed but wow! The visuals are amazing, the controls are weighty which is always good plus combat is slick. Get this game, it wont disappoint
  23. Dec 15, 2013
    Definitely worth the purchase. I held out for so long because of the short campaign but the gameplay and graphics make up for it. Very cinematic game and the gladiator mode is fantastic
  24. Nov 22, 2013
    Very strongly addictive, so everything looks around. This unusual, very beautiful, unexpectedly brutal game so far the only major project for this console, from which, they say, "smells blockbuster" and perhaps the main reason to buy this console.
  25. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is so much fun combat is just like batman and I love the combat in that game aswell also the addition to multiplayer which made my jaw drop lovely
  26. Ls6
    Nov 22, 2013
    Brilliant from start to finish. I encourage everyone reading these reviews to look at the profiles of those giving this game a 0. They poorly rate all xbone games and give ps4 games 10s
  27. Nov 22, 2013
    I give this game an 8.5. I marked it as a 10 to try to balance out some of the H8erBots that are posting zeros with word-for-word H8er reviews.

Visuals: Stunningly beautiful game. Clearly next-gen graphics.
    Combat: You can absolutely button mash if you just want to get through the combat. That's not too sophisticated. HOWEVER, if you take the time to learn the combat mechanics, it
    actually has some depth to it. So, not the best, but definitely not the worst.
    Story: Light, but enough to paint the game with some sort of reason to be killin'.
    Gore: Lots of it. Became desensitized pretty quick, but if you are squeamish, looking inside of a dude's arm as you cut it off may be a bit much.
  28. Nov 22, 2013
    While it is not a perfect game, it is also much better than most people is trying to make of it. Visuals are stunning, for sure, but the story is also engaging and truly epic, without being stupid or absolute cliche. The gameplay is fun, although it can become repetitive after a while. This is probably the biggest problem with the game, the gameplay is not varied or evolving enough. Still, is fun and is very satisfaying in its own gore-style way. This is not a 10 game, i should give it a 7. But i feel like i have to compensate for the hordes of stupid fanboys that are giving this a 0 without even playing it, so here is my 10. Expand
  29. Nov 23, 2013
    I happen to love this game. Graphics are amazing as everyone can see. I love hack and slash games games. Ryse is simply a great pick up and play game. On harder settings its a lot less of a button masher. I happen to love the QTE in games. I enjoyed them in all the other games that had QTEs. I knew this game was going to get hacked and slashed but for people that are fans of the genre, its a really great and fun game. Expand
  30. Nov 23, 2013
    great graphics, nice cinematics, a dreat game for you to buy if you have a Xbox one is a must at this lauch time, its very violent, is not a game for kids
  31. Nov 23, 2013
    I don't usually spend time writing reviews, but I had to sound off on this game. I've finished the campaign and played several multiplayer matches in the Colosseum. If you're on the fence about buying this after looking at some of the reviews by the "experts" out there, don't be. This game is one of the most AMAZING games I've ever played. It is just epic in every sense of the word. It draws you in in a way that few games do and is super fun--especially the better you get at combat. And the graphics...GOOD GOD. You sit back on some of the levels, and it's like you're playing a movie. It's just astonishing.

The biggest gripe I see from critics is that the gameplay is just button mashing and that the gameplay has no depth. I would say put it on a high difficulty setting and see how far you get button mashing. Yes, Crytek has it where newbies can button mash through the lowest difficulty setting just to eventually finish the game so they don't get frustrated, but as far as I'm concerned the same can be said of most games. As far as the depth of combat, if you actually take the time to learn and explore the combat system it is about as good as you're possibly going to do for a "sword and sandals" game like this. If you don't take the time to learn any of it, then it can appear deceptively simple. But again that also can be said of most games. If you want to actually play the game as intended and learn the combat system, something I don't think a lot of the reviewers took the time to do, it is absolutely bad a&%, fun, and addictive.

If you have an Xbox One or are getting an Xbox One, I can't recommend this game highly enough. It's awe-inspiring. And a heck of a lot of fun. I don't know why some of the critics decided to pick on this game--maybe it was the so-called "disastrous" E3 demo with quick time events (which I still thought looked amazing), the fact that it started out as a Kinect title and went through development hell and morphed into a different game than it started out as, or just the hype and how high expectations were for it--but in any case they got this one wrong. It's close to a masterpiece.

Graphics: 4 stars Awe-inspiring. You've never seen anything like it. Truly next gen.
    Story: 4 stars Very cool story and a brilliant way it is presented reminiscent of the Call of Duty series.
    Sound: 4 stars Terrific sound effects. Beautiful soundtrack. I haven't checked out who the composer was, but it almost has a Hans Zimmer Gladiator feel to it.
    Gameplay: 4 stars Play the game the right way as it was intended and learn the combat system. It makes everything more fun and enjoyable. And addictive.
  32. Nov 24, 2013
    I created an account just to review this game. I do not think it is a 10 by any means, however with so many people unfairly scoring it 5 and below I figured this was only fair. I would say it is a 6.5 game and a lot of these low scores from "reputable" gaming sites is disheartening, and unfair to the consumers and the games creators and staff. I thoroughly enjoyed Ryse and will continue to play it and show it off. Expand
  33. Nov 24, 2013
    I really don't see why everyone is having such problems with this game.. it really deserves more than a 60.. It looks amazing, gameplay can get a bit repetitive, but its gruesome and actually fun..
  34. Nov 24, 2013
    Yes, the gameplay is repetitive, but would you say the same for Batman Arkham Series, Assassin's Creed? No? Probably... Still, you bash you hit, the fights are still the same in these games too after an hours or so. But you get some fun.
    Of course you don't have 200 000 weapons and gadgets with you, haaaaa... So that's what makes a gameplay? Well hello, Rome?
    No it's not the best
    gameplay, yes it's repetitive, does that make it a bad game? No

The graphics are an amazing showcase for what this console/Crytek abilities can do. They are simply the best graphics on all of the lineup games released.

The animations are great, staging is stunning, the story holds, and the co-op is just fun time.
    Disconnect your purist mind that thinks it better than everyone else, and just let it flow, you'll have a good time.
    I wont push it to the 10/9 or 8, but give these guys a chance to work on their gameplay, on extending the campaign, and you may get greatness.

Rome didn't build in one day...
  35. Nov 24, 2013
    We can all agree that the story and visuals are great (seriously, both are very top-notch). The one thing there is a lot of disagreement on is gameplay. You either love it (like me) or you hate it. I didn't think I'd like it after seeing a lot of bad reviews. But now that I've beaten the game and replayed a few levels, I'm really loving it. It was such an awesome feeling setting up double-executions or perfectly dispatching a circle of 6 barbarians or getting the hit multiplier up to over 50.

The best way to describe combat is a mix between Arkham City and Guitar Hero (you'll know what I mean if you give it a try). It's all about timing. The better you get the timing down, the more flawless you'll fight and the more points you'll rack up to unlock new attributes. Plus throw in quite a few different enemy types and you'll find yourself strategizing each block and execution move. Its an addictive fighting system.

My recommendation to those gamers who are really on the fence about buying this game is to go to YouTube and watch gameplay footage. There is already a lot of footage out there from others in the gaming community. Watch a few minutes of in-game fights. If you think you like what you see, try it. If you get bored after just a few minutes, then you should probably steer clear of this game.
  36. Nov 25, 2013
    I'm simply in awe by the amount of haters on this title.. Ryse: Son of Rome is one of my favorite games of all time. The ratings the game is getting is simply uncalled for and unwarranted. As for the people that call the game repetitive, there are only so many sword attacks and shield attacks in real life. The story is compelling and engaging.

I really appreciate the gritty, visceral
    experience that is associated with Ryse. Also the multiplayer arena system is great with the armor upgrades etc. Tons of fun, good COOP experience. I don't care what these jaded reviews say, this game is by far one of my favorite games of ALL TIME and I will continue to enjoy it.

Great work DEVS, don't let the haters get you down and I pray you continue to make games like this aside from the bullsh*t ratings.
  37. Nov 25, 2013
    Just like a lot of the other reviewers I see writing on this game below, I think it's getting bashed unfairly. I don't know what the negative reviewers were hoping to play but Ryse is a beautiful looking game that's incredibly fun to play. Yes, the combat is simple and maybe somewhat repetitive but I still love it. I played so much this past weekend my thumb started hurting and that hasn't happened to me with a game in many years. At times I've even yelled "Xbox Record That!" to show off an epic moment where I was having a blast and I never imagined wanting to use that feature of the XB1. If this game looks interesting to you just get it. Don't believe all the negative reviews, the game is a blast! Expand
  38. Nov 25, 2013
    Overall: 8
    Gameplay: 7.5
    Story: 7
    Visual: 9.5

Analysis: This game is worth picking up for the X1. It might not take you forever to get thru the single-player, but you'll sure enjoy the time it does take.
  39. Nov 25, 2013
    With all the ugly reviews, I came so close to blowing this game off. But, that would have been a huge mistake. Ryse and Dead Rising have turned out to be the games I'm playing non-stop. Ryse is an sh1t-ton of fun. Don't try to read too much into it. It's an unapologetic kick-in-the pants Slashville game. Ever wondered what the cross-section of a dude's arm looks like? Look no further. I Venus-de-Milo'd more barbarians than I know what to do with. Play this game! Expand
  40. Nov 25, 2013
    Ryse is quite an astounding game that brings great graphics, music, and story together to create an awe inspiring game. The gameplay is however a drag in the middle of the game. I noticed at the end though all the different variety of opponents that you faced in the game earlier come together to create a challenging task. My real score for the game is 8.3/10 but am putting the score up to combat the Sony Ponies that are hampering down a game they have never played. Expand
  41. Nov 26, 2013
    I would normally give this game an 8 because of the lack of enemy types and weapons, but see so many sony fan boys on here that have nothing better to do than give X1 games low scores so had to give it 10. Seriously? Look at the history of the losers who give this game a low score and you'll see that they give every X1 game a 0~3and then they give average PS4 games like killzone a 10. If Killzone is so good then why did they buy X1 a week later and 3~4 games that they hate? Also how did they have time to play that many games in 5 days? The moderators should clear out their obvious attempts to sabotage X1 user reviews to maintain this site's integrity. Expand
  42. Nov 27, 2013
    Very nice game as a Launch title for the next gen consoles. I don't get why that many People say bad things about it, that's what you get of an hack&slay. Love it!
  43. Nov 27, 2013
    This game was awesome. the Campaign was fun but short however worth a second play thru on legendary the online co-op is good as well letting you step into the gladiator areas and level up your gear and special attacks. my favorite of the next gen games so far and I have both PS4 and Xbox One.
  44. Nov 27, 2013
    I've read many of the reviews for this game, about the game being to repetitive, or lacking game play, none of which is true. This game is a visual feast and a great edition to the launch lineup of Xbox one. I have to scratch my head to think what these reviewers were expecting, maybe call or duty or something else, the great is game for what it is a showcase of the Xbox one. Great story, graphics, my only complaint is the length of the game should have been at least 8-10 hours instead its more like 6. Buy the game you will not regret it, worth every penny. Expand
  45. Nov 28, 2013
    My actual score for this game would be an 8-8.5 based on what was achieved for a launch title. Launch titles are never great, they suffer from short dev cycles incapable of taking full advantage of what the system is capable of. I'm giving it a 10 due to the jack-holes rating it a 0 because they are Sony fan boys. Click the names and look at the past submissions to see what I mean. I can't think of a single game that deserves a 0, so it's ludicrous to see it for a game that deserves a 6 on graphics alone.

The graphics are absolutely stunning! One of the few games to make you believe it's on a next-gen system. Really harnesses the power of the Crytek engine which shows off it's spectacular lighting engine. The game is a hack n slash. Repetition is fully expected here. And you can keep repeating the same thing over and over, if you like. But you have options here. You level up your hero with various skills and feats. Customize your combos to put on a dazzling display of swordsmanship. The QTE is controlled by the user! So for those complaining about how many QTE there are. Quit doing them! They trigger when you decide to execute an NPC. While the game doesn't break any new grounds in terms of gameplay, the gameplay is still solid. A nice combat system with customization and optional play styles. Easily one of the best launch titles available. Forza looks great and plays like Forza. But was stripped of all of its content. For something fresh and on the heels of what's hot today (Spartacus, 300, Rome) Ryse delivers a gorgeous, yet visceral play experience set in ancient Rome.
  46. Nov 29, 2013
    Ryse has a very strong and professionally produced story. The voice acting and cinematic elements of the game are a testament to a gateway to the new generation of consoles. The game play is accommodating and adequate, even if it is simple and formulaic. The overall presentation and feel of the game easily overshadows its flaws and makes for an exciting chain of varying chapters and engaging narrative. Expand
  47. Nov 30, 2013
    I'm in love with this game. My jaw was on the floor from start to finish. Never got bored of the story or the combat. The reviews for this game are absolutely ridiculous. My buddy and I both recently finished the game and cannot stop talking about it. Some people are just impossible to satisfy. Best $60 I've spent on a game since Tombraider
  48. Dec 2, 2013
  49. Dec 5, 2013
    Since the day I decided to buy an Xbox One, the game that impressed me the most was Ryse: Son of Rome. The graphics looked clearly next-gen, the setting of ancient Rome was awesome, and the vicious, bloody combat reminded me of God of War.
    But as time went on, most of the feedback from game critics was negative. Combat driven by quick time events, repetitive combat, and a general lack of
    polish was what many claimed.
    Regardless of the noise, Ryse was the first game to grace my Xbox One. And having spent 2 weeks with the game, despite it being a launch title, it will be extremely difficult for any Xbox One title to satisfy me and entertain me the way Ryse:Son of Rome did.
    GRAPHICS (10): Any fears I had about the Xbox One not being powerful enough were washed away by Ryse. I mean, it's just beautiful. The level of detail in everything from the environments to the clothing is astounding. Nothing in the Xbox One launch lineup comes close to Ryse in the graphics department.
    PRESENTATION (10): Besides the awesome graphics, Ryse's presentation is second to none. The story is very strong in Ryse, and Crytek made sure to deliver on dramatic moments throughout the campaign.
    GAMEPLAY (9): The biggest criticism of Ryse was repetitive combat. Well, you play as a Roman soldier leading an army, so fighting is all you do. I mean, what else would there be to do? If critics wanna say Ryse is repetitive, then so is Halo, cause all you do is shoot the same aliens over and over again. That's not a criticism of Halo, it's just to illustrate how overblown the "repetitive combat" gripe is. And besides, the game does mix things up quite a bit. And as far as the quick time events, they are only used as execution kills after you have taken each enemy's health down to almost zero, so the combat system is far from just pushing buttons. The one fair criticism is the same enemies are used way to frequently, breaking some of the realism. Still, a pretty minor complaint.
    CONTROLS(9): Controlling your actions is fairly easy and intuitive. The only control issue I found was as times it seemed I should have pulled off a defensive counter and I would still take a hit. But again, except for this minor gripe, controls are mostly excellent.
    FUN(10): What makes Ryse fun is the intense combat. It's challenging and requires focus, especially when you are fighting 2 or 3 enemies at the same time. It's also a lot of fun to see where the story goes. I've played through the campaign twice, which I only do if a game is really fun.
    FINAL SCORE (10): When you add it all up, Ryse: Son of Rome deserves the highest score I can give. The complaints are minor. And with an incredible story, next gen graphics, fun and challenging combat, and an overall kickass presentation, I don't know how it could have been better. I'll be hoping for the announcement of Ryse 2 in the future...
  50. Dec 7, 2013
    Don't listen to anyone complaining about this game being repetitive. It's the only Xbox One game I don't regret buying. I almost considered not buying the game just because I'm not a huge fan of hack and slash games and also because of the bad reviews, but I'm glad I got it! It's pretty addictive, the story is actually worth paying attention to, the graphics are fantasmo, and there's plenty of variety to keep the game entertaining. There's also the added plus of the gladiator mode. I'll be playing the fudge out of that once I'm done with the story. My only complaint is that there isn't much variety in the enemies. Sometimes you'll be fighting 4 guys that all look the same, but it really doesn't bother me much just because the game is so good. Expand
  51. Dec 9, 2013
    Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  52. Dec 22, 2013
    Coming into the Xbox One and seeing some of the disappointing reviews, I was expecting to see a lackluster hack and slash style game. But a month later, I can't get enough. I would have to say that it was my #1 launch title for the Xbox.

The single player starts out a little slow but starts to really pick up, and that's when you start to see the real intricacies of the fighting. On
    your second playthrough (which I recommend) you start to get a challenge with the Legendary difficulty. Take it to online and do the multiplayer and you start to see a variety in the gameplay. With the first DLC out and a few more maps cycling through the multiplayer arenas, it feels like a fresh experience again. Love this game and can't wait for future DLC Expand
  53. Dec 25, 2013
    Ryse: Son of Rome (XBone) Launch Title

Story: 8

Pretty straight forward and engaging enough for a hack & slash type of game such as this; however, I do think the first 1/4 of the story could be fleshed out just a bit better with more backstory...without going into spoiler-land, I feel the story was a bit disjointed in that you don't really realize what the true catalyst was at the
    beginning until you reach the very end, yet throughout the middle, it alludes to this catalyst...all in all though, the story is just a mere hanger-on to drive forward the more than satisfying, visually stunning, flawlessly choreographed combat...

Audio: 9

There is nothing particularly earth-shattering with respect to the game's audio and musical score; however, it lends well to the time period and matches well with the gameplay...

Graphics: 10

Top-notch...exactly the type of launch game you want to show off the graphical prowess of new hardware...the character movements are fluid, a work of art...the various moves/attacks/blocks/evades are perfectly choreographed and never look out of place...the vistas and locales are varied and just a pleasure to view...

Experience: 10

The gameplay is visceral, inviting, and exciting...while others feel the game becomes repetitive, I found this to not be the case...there were plenty of moments of varied gameplay mechanics such as manning the ballista or forming a moving shield wall with you and the rest of your legion's soldiers...granted it probably helped that I spent in-game XP to purchase new/upgraded executions and did not play through in one sitting (spread out over several weeks time)...

Overall: 10 (Exceptional)
  54. Jan 1, 2014
    I read the reviews before I started playing this game and I think that they are giving to this game a lower scored that it deserves. This game has outstanding graphics and it's really enjoyable to play. Besides the story it's really good.
  55. Jan 15, 2014
    Great game! Gorgeous graphics and interesting plot! Plays like watching a movie! I have no words, thanks crytek!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Expand
  56. Jan 18, 2014
    First off I dont understand why this go suck low ratings...... I played and beat this game and the only complaint I have is it is too short!!! The graphics are amazing and the story is good.(very to the point) If you are looking for a challenging hack and slash game then this one is it!! Please play the game before you review because it is obvious half these people dont even have the game.
  57. Feb 14, 2014
    This game is a sublime game. Tech + history + gameplay.
    The game necesary for a Xbox gamers.
    Repetitive? maybe, but, this game is action in every moments, a history is a second film of gladiator easily.
  58. Feb 26, 2014
    I liked the graphics, fighting, history, other than what we have seen game so comparisons are generated nonsense criticized but not enjoying the game, I want to see another game over Rome!
  59. Mar 9, 2014
    Fantastic game. Story is extremely compelling and graphics are amazing. Combat can become a little stale but overall does not diminish from the games integrity. Recommended to all who have an xbox one.
  60. Mar 11, 2014
    Very good game my favorite xbone game by far and my favorite of any game.. It is superior to everything and should be in the hall of fame for best videogame of all time.. Game reminds me of sonic the hedgehog 2 but with better graphics
  61. Mar 13, 2014
    espero q a Critek de continuidade a este game, pois ele tem muito potencial e acho q a Critek agora tem q mostrar q ela sabe fazer qualquer tipo de game com gráficos perfeitos como de RYSE!
  62. Mar 27, 2014
    The reviews for this game... I don't get it. The graphics, the graphics for such a little box. The Xbox One is the little engine that COULD. My lord, I was enamored when I first fired up my Xbox Won and witnessed splendid visuals that immersed me into the world of Ryse. The beautifully rendered shield, the foliage, the waterfalls, it was too much. I wept a little, because for months and months, people said to me how I got the worst system that's overpriced, that's too gimmicky, that's "bad". I couldn't take it, it built me up, I had thick skin from the endless battles I faced online in various forums. Now today, I feel like victory came my way with Ryse. I watched for hours as I dismembered enemies in stunning HD blood spilling realistically across the battlefield. It was a sight to behold. Later that night, I beat the game and was finally thrilled to have a game that would reign supreme on the internet, ammo if you will for those stupid playstanleys. Finally I looked online and saw an article saying the game was only 900P.
    WHAT!!?? THAT'S **** STUPID!! 900P?!?!? I hate that **** 1/10.
  63. Nov 28, 2013
    Way better than the anti-hype run up the internet boards would have you believe. I honestly bought it thinking it was going to be kinda crappy but figured it was launch and graphically it looked awesome so I'd get over it. I was pleasantly surprised that not only was the game not crappy but I ended up having a lot of fun with it.
  64. Feb 2, 2014
    A very strong game, and on top of that insanely hard if you will dare to venture into the centurion/legendary difficulty. The combat is very interesting and quite demanding, while you possibly could just repeat one sequence of actions and eventual (after many reloads) win, if you want to trully excel and score a lot you will need to get busy and creative with your button mashing.
    It must
    also be mentioned that the game presentation is simply stunning, from the breath taking graphics, through music and ambient sounds to the voice commands that take you even deeper. Expand
  65. Dec 21, 2013
    A gorgeous hack and slash that is a blast to play. This game is simply heaps of fun and to me that is the biggest and most often overlooked aspect of gaming nowadays. The combat is vicious and fluid and delivers those "OMG!" moments as you hack off limbs and impale enemies with your sword. You have 4 categories each chosen with a direction on the D-Pad that activate different attributes and different sets of death animations in each category so mixing the combat and animations up is really up to you and not that repetitive at all. The online component is even more entertaining than the single player! Wrecking havoc in the coliseum with a friend against waves of enemies and traps is very cool and again lots of fun. You can unlock sets of weapons and armor that affect your skills online differently depending on how you suit up for battle. This game is a perfect launch title IMO as it does a great job of keeping you coming back for more and it's overall fun factor...make no mistake though, it is easy to pick up and play but can be tough to master, especially on higher difficulties. Ryse represents my first must have title for the new generation, I love this game! Expand
  66. Nov 23, 2013
    I picked this up on launch night and am really enjoying it. It looks amazing, I have had my breath taken away many times. Its the sort of game that reminds me of playing in the arcades 20 years ago, you dont want to sit down for hours on end with it, just dip in for 1/2 hour sessions, play it on a high difficulty setting and you'll have fun hacking and slashing your way across Britain!
  67. Feb 14, 2014
    Very good story, Very good graphics! Very beatiful and addictive game! At the moment BEST GAME for new generation consoles! There is no better game available today on new generation consoles!
  68. Feb 3, 2014
    First of all, I'd like to say that I am not a fan of the beat'em all genre. Not at all. So when a game brings me to beat it twice, in a genre that I dislike, THAT IS A GOOD GAME. The thing is... What people tend to forget is that EVERY beat'em all game is repetitive. Any game of any genre actually. So what makes Ryse different ? It is incredibly addictive. The story is amazing, every character has its own personality, there is work behind that. A lot. And the universe is completely credible, and though it is fiction, I had no problem believing in every happening story event.

Gameplay side, the experience and character evolution is okay. Very classic, but still, you'll enjoy unlocking everything for your character, specially executions. And the game takes all its sense on Legendary difficulty. It is truly challenging. The AI is nothing like what any developer ever did before, since you'll feel like she's learning from your way of playing.

Graphically, I won't even bother explain how perfect it is. I've never seen such a realistic render. Shaders are just impressive.

Voice acting and all the soundtrack is of great quality.

And here's the conclusion, this game is a masterpiece of art. It is going to draw you all the way in a Roman second century drama. Its realization, and story will keep you from stop playing it.

I'll give it a ten, because I believe there will be a sequel, if it pushes further in character evolution.
  69. Nov 24, 2013
    Gorgeous game, would have been a 10 had it been longer. The combat is very fun in my opinion. To each their own i suppose, it is definitely worth a buy in my book.
  70. Nov 26, 2013
    Makes use of the XBox One's capability and as a game its a fun melee combat game with a fun and engaging campaign. Its not for everyone but is something I am enjoying and really love the Romanesque story telling and the voice acting in the campaign is very well done.

Its not an earth shattering innovative game but it does not get repetitive as for me as other as complaining about.

The idea of "buying gold" to get skills in the campaign strikes me as a bit silly and I don't really care for that. Hopefully that is not available for acquiring the multiplayer skills. I look forward to jumping into the multiplayer but that was not my main motivation for purchasing this game.

My main issues have more to do with the XB One and the time it took to DL the patch and then install the game.
  71. Nov 22, 2013
    Stunning!

I can not believe the notes are receiving this title, I have been playing for several hours and I found it shocking, graphically is a tremendous leap, you gasp at every step you take and playable is very good, the combat system at all is boring I really do not understand anything that happened to this game in my notes but deserves a September 1 as a temple. Do not think twice
    and try it, do not want to sell the bike to anyone, in fact it is one of the first times I write and take in meristation since it began but such has been my impression with this game with respect to the notes that have not had no choice.

As I say Ryse is awesome, no more palliative.
  72. Feb 25, 2014
    Ryse Son of rome was my absolute favorite game to release on the next generation of systems. The Graphics were absolutely breath taking, The story was incredible and even-though the game wasn't very long i absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. I really don't understand the hate the game has been getting because i have none to give. The ending was truly spectacular and i am just happy i ignored the critics and picked this up worth every penny! Expand
  73. Nov 26, 2013
    Personally I don't understand the hate being generated towards this amazing game. The game play is challenging and is not repetitive. I can't understand why a game that has the same combat mechanics of the Batman Arkham series and Assasins Creed would score so low. Great great game don't believe the misinformation being spread to the contrary.
  74. Jan 8, 2014
    This is definitely one of those games that requires you to enter with a certain set of expectations. Ryse looks phenomenal, which is possibly an understatement. The graphics are excellent, but what truly makes this game shine are the character animations. The characters move just as in real life, but more importantly, the facial animations truly capture human emotions and convey them effortlessly. It's like watching LA Noire, but with better facial animations, dialogue, and better graphics.
    The gameplay is repetitive. There's no getting around that. That aspect makes the game really fun for short stints, but not ideal for extremely long playthroughs. I really enjoyed the ability to choose what I'd receive for my executions though. Concentrating on this aspect allowed me to ignore the repetition and become more strategic. Overall, I'd easily recommend the game if you can get it for $50 or less. It's extremely impressive, and for short to moderate stints, it's a lot of fun. Its not trying to be perfect, and it would be a shame if people skipped over it for that reason. The story alone is quite impressive. Definitely worth your time!
  75. Nov 23, 2013
    game is too short to get boring like everyone says. the online is great fun competition. best looking game of next gen. combat is smooth. in game menu's are smooth. good story telling. the campaign is short so it you are just going for that and no multiplayer then rent this game.
  76. Dec 3, 2013
    Ryse is a wonderful example of what a next gen game should look like and you will be hard pressed to find anything that will show off what this new generation of games will start to look like, better than this! Now that I have stated that fact let me just point out that this game doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. Right from the start it gets right down to the business of hack and slash. There isn't anything wrong with this either. Sometimes its nice to have a simple game that looks phenomenal and has smooth fluid game play. I have read a lot of reviews with people trying to wax philosophical about this game and its shortcomings. The reality is there isn't anything like this to compare it to on Xbox. So just ignore that noise! The reality is you get what you see with Ryse and if you realize exactly what this game is before you play you will not be disappointed! I have had an absolute blast so far with its uncomplicated, beautiful and brutal combat. I am generally a hardcore RPG player but this game really is hard to ignore! Do yourself a favor and pick it up! Expand
  77. Nov 30, 2013
    This game looks stunning.
    The game play mechanics work well too and shows off the Xbox Ones capabilities excellently.
    Campaign is short but enjoyable and worth playing a couple times and multiplayer is good fun, performing execution moves on fellow gamers is a joy.
    I'd say this is a must have title on your new Xbox One, I now have both the Xbox & PS4 and this has been the highlight of
    my gaming experience from the games I own, Ryse & Need for Speed on Xbox, battlefield 4 on PS4.

I've read in other reviews that there's limited enemy types, this is true but who cares when you're chopping them up? They all look the same in the end.
  78. Nov 22, 2013
    Ive read a lot of reviews saying this game is bad, but it isn't all bad. The only thing that I can admit it does wrong is the length of the game which I clocked in about 7 hours worth. The gameplay is amazing watching the executions never gets old, the story is good as well maybe not the best, but you tell its trying to be something different. I loved this game and i loved how it looked no matter where you are in it. A great first game on the xbox one. Don't judge it on the bad reviews try it for yourself and I'm pretty sure you'd love it as well. Expand
  79. Apr 11, 2014
    For a start the graphics are the best I have ever seen, everything looks so smooth, consistent and realistic. The controls are very responsive and smooth. The storyline is actually very well done, a few twists and turns which keep you guessing and very good overall really. There is a co-operative multiplayer mode laced with different arenas, and modes fun for a little while. The combat however simple was extremely satisfying and gruesome, ever fitting with the brutal element which resides in the heart of rome itself. Expand
  80. Dec 27, 2013
    The graphic is amazing. Cinematic story is sick. And the multiplayer is surprisingly fun. Wish there were more varieties of enemies though. i would definitely buy a sequel
  81. Nov 22, 2013
    This might be one of my favorite games to play! It was the first game that I popped in to play when I got my xbox one. The graphics look spectacular! The storyline is great. The graphic kills my favorite part! I would have given it a higher score but the campaign is short.. but after the first three hours of the game you know exactly what to do and I like that! With more DLC to come for this game I look forward to the future hopefully a difficulty spike cuz I get thru hack and slash games rather quickly. But if you want quick out of the box fun pick up Ryse Expand
  82. Nov 22, 2013
    A Proper Review.

I highly disagree with many of the reviews on here. I think most people are just Crytek haters or PS4 fanboys who are are bitter that they don't have decent launch titles with something unique. This game is simply beautiful and a game-changer. I definitely think this will be a visual benchmark for many futures games to come. Every aspect was crafted with the utmost
    detail in mind. The sound is exquisite and although short, it should be treated as a movie rather than a game. Consider this is a launch title and strict deadlines are always in place. New hardware, and new mechanics need to be mapped. You don't come out with the best possible creation you can possibly make right out of the gate. That just doesn't happen and should not be expected. For what it is and when it was released. It is a masterpiece. As far as other games in this genre, this one takes the cake in almost all aspects.

Gameplay: all comes down to the user. If you find it repetitive, it is simply down to the fact you are not creative enough to make your own fun and change it up. Go play a Nintendo game if all you care about is gameplay. I had a blast trying to run up my combo, and finding creative ways to land kills; getting my timing just right. The executions were impeccable, and movements almost seemed borderline lifelike.

Graphics: This speaks for itself. I don't think I need to beat around talking about this. People should really consider this in their scores. Rome comes to life.

Environment: Linear, but with all the visuals to keep you immersed. My jaw dropped when I entered the arena and I had a rush of excitement. They pulled off this atmosphere perfectly.

Story: Very movie-like. Entertainment value for me held up throughout the entire game. I was gripped almost the entire time. There aren't many games in this genre (good games) and I'm pretty tired of all the Greek Myth, etc. So going Roman and having an ode to Spartacus got it just right for me. Marius isn't a super hero, but just another character. I appreciated this.

Graphics: 10
    Gameplay: 8
    Story: 9
    Overall Experience: 9 Just wish it was longer.

I'll be perfectly honest. I had a blast with this game and I truly think it's worth a play through. It's something you have to say you've at least experienced. So I have trouble understanding all these other reviews. Did they actually play it or are they just taking snippets from mediocre reviews? Let's be real. This is unlike anything you've played on any previous generations. Anyway great work and can't wait to see more.
  83. Nov 22, 2013
    Ryse is short, it looks to have spawned from a tech demo. The incredible graphics aren't consistent and some things are barely 'next gen'. BUT.. it's great fun. In 6 to 12 months when it's cheap... have a go. Multiplayer is solid fun.
  84. Nov 22, 2013
    This game is Gorgeous. whether you are fighting in ancient Rome or in the Swamps the detail to this game is out of this world. It is also really fun game to play. I recommend playing on legendary that way the AI doesn't stand around and wait for you to finish slaying their buddies. the combat style while simple has to have perfect timing on the harder modes which makes the perks helpful later in the game. I would recommend this game purely because of the graphics and story but the gameplay is actually quite good. Hope this helps others. Expand
  85. Nov 22, 2013
    Endless Fun.

I got this game at midnight release and i beat the game already. The graphics are astonishing and the story is phenomenal. 9/10 The reviewers are obviously Sony Fanboys
  86. Nov 23, 2013
    If you love games with gore and dismemberment you will love this game!
    the game confused me at first but by the end they did a really nice job piecing the story together. the combat reminds me of assassins creed with having to time blocking and attacks, but with much more gore ).
    pros:
    -difficult enemies (my personal opinoin i like hard games so it adds replayability)
    -beautiful
    exicutions
    -solid combat system
    -keeps a steady framerate for almost all the time
    - facial features and graphics are insane
    -very graphic ending

cons:
    -i found the boss fights kind of easy (but has awesome cutscenes)
    -war elephants could've been cooler
    -i could see it being repetitive after multiple playthroughs
    -shortish campaign (took me about 10 hours)

the game is definitely worth playing and beating. i havent tried the multiplayer yet but now i beat the game im gonna try it. i dont understand the low ratings when this game doesnt get any glitches and feels underated it feels polished and finished but i hope for some type of sequel!
  87. Nov 23, 2013
    Really enjoyed my time and the game. Sure it might be repetitive this is a beat them all, but learn how to play it and you'll spend definitely a good time. Next time a little bit longer story mode will make it 9.
  88. Nov 23, 2013
    I don't get the hate.i really enjoy this game.its a hack n slash not rpg.so I'm fine without major depth.it was fun.didnt feel repetitive. No worse than the goons in an arkham game anyway.sure it's linear but no more than devil my cry and those are good games.i read reviews that you are attacked by enemies one at a time but this never happened.maybe in easy mode it does.didnt check.and the counter system is akin to arkham and that game also counters hits even if they're a hair away and no one complained .Every game doesn't need major deep character development. Sometimes it's just fun to stab dudes dressed like a roman.i play a lot of games and have played much worse games with better reviews.this game was a lot of fun. Expand
  89. Nov 24, 2013
    Excellent! I went in with low expectations from all the reviews here on Metacritic and by the end of the game I was flabbergasted! The graphics are STUNNING! The combat, while simplistic and repetitive, is brutal and brings a huge grin to my face, even after hours of play and late into the game. Story line is sufficient. Integration of voice commands is smooth, effective, and unintrusive. Gives me huge hope for the future of XBox One gaming. No way this game deserves to be in the low 60's on average and absolutely no excuse for so many red-level reviews. Expand
  90. Nov 24, 2013
    IGNORE 1.0 scores. They are kids or Sony fans obviously.

Contrary to popular opinions, this games combat system is incredibly fun and has a hidden value to it that only time can discover; like deflecting an arrow with my shield and watching that arrow ricocheting into an enemies stomach. Folks there's much to be learned and enjoyed about this games combat system. There's strong attacks
    which causes you to lung at opponents to strike with sword or shield, there's normal shield bash and sword strikes, rolling, blocking, etc. Each attack can be cancelled at any time to escape into a roll like as if you were faking your opponent out; you must learn to finesse. You can lure enemies into traps in the gladiator arena. The scenery in the gladiator arena is constantly shifting and adding new options for entertaining the crowd with combat. You can time the quick time events or skip them all together, you can time them to get double kill finishers or even to kick someone into a fire pit. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS GAME GOT LOW REVIEWS. I Absolutely disagree. I suppose some people just don't know the beauty of this game because they didn't try it long enough to figure out how deep the fighting system is. Once you learn how to really fight and use your environments, it gets so fun and has a ton of replay value. This game also serves as an incredible foundation for what's to come. Imagine a sequel! 9.0 all the way. 1 point off for things like no offline multiplayer. Expand
  91. Nov 24, 2013
    Again don't listen to jaded reviewers or the haters. This game is fun has a great story and on the difficulty level I am playing on has fun challenging combat. And it is absolutely GORGEOUS! I went to an EB Games to pick it up and the two boneheads behind the counter actually tried to talk me out of buying it (even though neither of them had played it!). Thank goodness I didn't listen to them. I LOVE this game! Expand
  92. Nov 25, 2013
    There are a lot of really bipolar reviews for this game, and having played it, I have to say it's getting trashed unfairly. Ryse is a lot of fun. You have to be into the Hack-n-Slash sort of game, but if you are, it's a blast. Freakin' beautiful to look at; decent revenge story; B:A-style combat. All in all, a worthwhile investment for Xbox One owners.
  93. Nov 26, 2013
    Visuals alone give it at least a 6. but I really enjoyed playing Ryse: Son of Rome, come on how do you not enjoy slicing peoples arms and legs off. I thought the story so really good, could of given you more of whats going on but a good start.
    The reason I only give it a 9 is the harder AI's really only do one more over and over and it get annoying and repetitive. But, i never got tired
    of finishing moves they were pretty sweet

A really good title launch and i hope we see another one
  94. Nov 26, 2013
    Dead Rising 3 is insane fun. Building crazy weapons and wiping out the zombie hordes is extremely addicting. Tons of side missions and good boss fights keep you playing. Just starting my 2nd play through so I can get the Megaman Suit. Yes, I said Megaman. The thought of getting the suit and Megablaster and wiping out zombies as Megaman puts a smile on my face.
  95. Nov 27, 2013
    Just finished the campaign, and I had a lot of fun. Interesting story, beautiful graphics, and fun (if repetitive) combat carried me through the story. Absolutely recommended for any new xbox one owner.
  96. Feb 17, 2014
    Gostei bastante desse jogo. Ele tem os gráficos muito bons e uma boa história, pena que é curta demais. Porém, o jogo em si não tem falhas ou erros, como a maioria, e peca apenas por ser pequeno. Mas isso não diminui o jogo, que é excelente.
  97. Nov 29, 2013
    Exceptional game! The way the intensity of the story, acting, sound design and visuals plunges you into ancient Rome is beyond description. The gameplay is fun, but takes some time to master. A second play through is essential and in truth, finishing the game left me wanting more. Sequel PLEASE!
  98. Dec 1, 2013
    People here actually give Ryse 0 points and then 10 points to Killzone or other PS4 exclusive. I mean how obvious can you get?

And about the game, it was fantastic, extremely beautiful but bit too short. I enjoyed it from begin to end.
  99. Dec 5, 2013
    Graphics: 10 Story: 10 Gameplay: 6 Fun Factor: 10 I bought an Xbox One hoping that this next gen would blow my mind visually. To say other games have been underwhelming is an understatement. This is the first game that made my jaw drop and drew me in with its cinematic quality and amazing storyline. Gameplay is repetitive but still VERY challenging. And when you get it right its very rewarding. I cant wait to play through again and find all of the hidden items on a more difficult mode. Expand
  100. Dec 7, 2013
    Great game, don't listen to the bad reviews. Only reason I didn't give a ten was due to lack of diversity to attack controls. Overall though beautiful graphics really showing what the xbox one will be capable of. Much better than some of the other straight from 360 type ports which have launched This game truely is next gen. Well worth a few run throughs. Just started the arena solo gladiator mode which is giving longevity to the title. Top surprise, really enjoyed. Expand

1. Feb 10, 2014
    It has some really good moments but overall it’s just a presentation of Xbox One’s graphical capabilities that bores you with primitive combat and does little to keep you playing. [02/2014, p.55]
  2. Jan 29, 2014
    Ryse is fun at points but is ultimately held back by its repetitious nature. Still the game is a great way to show off the graphical capability of the Xbox One.
    Ryse is like someone you notice at a party but after you spend some time together, you realize that person lacks charm and can’t tell the difference between a duel and a duet. [Issue#238]