7.6

1. Oct 28, 2014
    Played for about 4 hours so far, and am really enjoying this game. Visually, it is gorgeous, the use of color and the design of the city is amazing, everything is crisp and frame rate is 100% solid. Most important, the combination of gameplay types is so much fun. The customization options for the character are second to none, weapons are fun and original. This game really is zany,Played for about 4 hours so far, and am really enjoying this game. Visually, it is gorgeous, the use of color and the design of the city is amazing, everything is crisp and frame rate is 100% solid. Most important, the combination of gameplay types is so much fun. The customization options for the character are second to none, weapons are fun and original. This game really is zany, non-stop action and fun. Expand
  2. Oct 28, 2014
    It`s really amazing. It`s by far the most fun game I`ve played this year. It`s fast, rewarding, difficult and long (20 hours of the main campaign only, over 35 hours total single player). The customization, the beautiful city, the characters, (you`ll love them), all put together at the perfect way. I`m Brazilian, and the translation is also done with perfection.
  3. Oct 28, 2014
    This game is exactly what its been advertised as and that's rare now a days. The game is pure fun! Must buy for any Xbox one owner. It's a shame people come here to write poor reviews based on what console they like or dislike. These developers work hard and in sunset overdrives case extremely hard
  4. Oct 28, 2014
    Excellent fun. A whacky joy-ride worth taking. A great throw-back to Sega's Jet Set Radio with flair. If you love doing everything in style then this is the game for you.
  5. Oct 28, 2014
    Love how ps4 fanboys come in here and give it a 0. Just look at there rate history pathetic kids. The game is fun fun fun with amazing graphics and art style I love the coop mode! Must buy xbox is really doing a good job this year with this and horizon I will be busy for long time
  6. Oct 28, 2014
    I must confess I was not expecting much from this game so I didnt get into the hype so much. But after I started playing it clicked on me. It is mega fun and just simply awesome the way it breaks the 4th wall several times.
    Sunset Overdrive promissed and it delivered. It is a soulfull and stylish shooter with no barriers. You smile, you shoot and smile some more, you will get surprised, you will be blown away at times. Its an incredible and rainbow filled ride from the start to the very (and amazing) end. Some may say it is repetitive but I say I rarely felt that. As I said before it has a bit of a learning curve for the movement of our character but soon that will become almost secondary and it will become more of a joy than a chore. It is another beautiful gem in the form of Xbox One exclusives and well worth the money.
  7. Oct 28, 2014
    Sunset Overdrive is beautiful, fast and frantic.

I've been zipping and bouncing all over the map, just checking out the scenery and this game delivers! Chaos Mode is definitely chaotic and ridiculously fun. I need to get better at grinding and jumping! Can't wait to really dig into this tomorrow, my one glorious day out of the kitchen. It's every bit as fun as ratchet n
    Sunset Overdrive is beautiful, fast and frantic.

Chaos Mode is definitely chaotic and ridiculously fun.

I need to get better at grinding and jumping!

It's every bit as fun as ratchet n clank mixed with Tony Hawk and jet set radio sounds. BUY this game!!!
  8. Oct 28, 2014
    This game is pretty fun! Definitely a nice change after the disaster that Destiny ended up being.

It's exactly what I expected; fun, laid back, and just a chill story. It doesn't try to turn the story into something it isn't, which I think is nice. I personally didn't buy this game to find some massive epic tale. I noticed other people complaining about the story not being detailed enough but I think some people just need to chill out and enjoy what this game is about - having fun.

In terms of controls, they're good...but the lack of options for different layouts is annoying. I expected killing enemies to be difficult with all of the moving and jumping but the game's aim assist helps out a lot in that regard so it's never frustrating when using non-AOE weapons.

The atmosphere, environment, and graphics are all eye candy. This game is really gorgeous to look at, but you end up missing out on some of the scenery just because of the amount of action that can be going on sometime.

The sound track in the game is a punk rock loop that picks up the pace with the gameplay. I like it right now, but I was a huge punk rock fan when I was in high school. I also have some minor concerns of it getting repetitive after a while of playing. The nice thing is that you can turn off the music in the menu if it bothers you and just snap some music of your own.

Gameplay is fast paced but easy on single player. I rarely die, and if I do it's because I was messing around and not killing enemies. It would be cool to see a no enemy free running mode added in. But I'm not sure what the chances of that happening are. Overall it's a blast to just run around blowing stuff up though. As I mentioned before, the game doesn't take itself seriously and it always seems to have that fun feel to it even when you're just messing around. You can choose to do wall running, grinding, bouncing, and combine them together with a nice variety of weapons to continue finding new ways to kill hordes. Adding these aspects with a style meter that increases your damage output in special ways ends up making for a nice change of pace from killing cops and doing car chases in GTA.

In terms of character customization, you have two categories; ascetics and abilities. They've done an awesome job allowing you to make your character the way you want. From different clothes, to tattoos, and even funny hats. As for abilities, you have Amps, and Overdrives.

The Amps allow you to modify your weapons to gain additional abilities like lightning and extra explosions. The other type of Amps allow you to change your melee speciality, use a defensive roll, cause explosions from things you bounce on, along with various other bonuses you receive as your style meter increases.

The Overdrives allow you to tailor your character to your particular playing style. Whether it's increasing damage to specific enemies, gaining additional ammo for weapons, or modifying how easily you generate style. The downside to the overdrives, is the only way to know what weapon class each weapon falls into is to pay attention when they level up, and when you're fighting giant hordes this tends to be the last thing on your mind. Hopefully this is fixed in an update down the road, but it's a fairly minor issue so it's not life changing if it isn't addressed.

Overall this game is very good, it's balanced very nicely and combines existing game mechanics from other awesome games over the year into something that is cohesive and fun. On top of that, the game knows it's a game, so the light hearted story is fun to play through while not delving into anything too serious.
  9. Oct 28, 2014
    Absolutely mayhem of fun. SO much fun. Funny, smart, and just an excellent game. It is a good one to turn to after so many bleak games over the years. Not to say that the serious and such games aren't great, they are amazing. This feels like what gaming used to be like when you were kid, be reimagined to your new taste and humour now. Truly, a great accomplishment.
  10. Oct 28, 2014
    This game has some bad user reviews because of Xbox one haters. Please don't listen to their reviews. Sunset overdrive is an amazing game. It's story is funny and just pure awesome, it customisation is awesome, it's weapons are awesome and it's just the most AWESOMEPOCALYPSE you could find.
  11. Oct 28, 2014
    I've played approx. 3 hrs of it this morning and almost phoned in to work sick because of it. What an amazing game. The colours pop, draw distances are vast, the gameplay gets easier over time and the traversal is amazing. Tonight cannot come quick enough to sink my teeth into it even more.

Well Done Insomniac for creating a beautiful game. PS4 users voting '0' - give it a rest please.
  12. Oct 28, 2014
    Don't listen to the negative reviews, odds are they are Sony fan boys who wanna hate because this game isn't on their system. I have played about 11 hours so far and have had a blast! This is truly the first real next gen game to come out, and a fun one at that. The multiplayer could use more modes and be more linear, but the story and main mode that is offered. There is so much to do andDon't listen to the negative reviews, odds are they are Sony fan boys who wanna hate because this game isn't on their system. I have played about 11 hours so far and have had a blast! This is truly the first real next gen game to come out, and a fun one at that. The multiplayer could use more modes and be more linear, but the story and main mode that is offered. There is so much to do and see and also collect that this should keep you entertained for weeks and months, I highly recommend this game to anyone that is looking to have fun and blow stuff up. Expand
  13. Oct 28, 2014
    The game is fun, unique, innovative, and non stop fun. Must own, must play, this overall review is a clearly a lie because of envious little fanboys. Get this game... and if you don't own an xbone get one nov 2 when you can get the xbone and the game for 350....that's a steal. Don't be a fanboy go where good games are. And they are on the xbone...
  14. Oct 28, 2014
    Its a amazing game, this game deservers to win game of the year.
    Beatiful graphics, so excited music, good mode online.
    A fantastic begin to a new IP
  15. Oct 28, 2014
    This game is visually amazing, it is a real breath of fresh air compared to all the dark and gritty games out on this gen. The combat is great, and it is definitely a game all xbox one owners should buy
  16. Oct 28, 2014
    Awesome Game that I do recommend for Xbox One owners it's bright colorful and completely insane you will have an absolute blast Happy Gaming
    (Game is not childish btw don't let the trolls lead you into thinking it is)
  17. Oct 29, 2014
    From the moment I started playing this game I experienced a strong sense of nostalgia. It reminded me of when I first played Super Mario brothers for the very first time and why I love video games so much! I highly recommend that all Xbox One owners purchase this incredible title so that Insomniac will continue to make more gems like this one. If you like action, fun, humor, and areFrom the moment I started playing this game I experienced a strong sense of nostalgia. It reminded me of when I first played Super Mario brothers for the very first time and why I love video games so much! I highly recommend that all Xbox One owners purchase this incredible title so that Insomniac will continue to make more gems like this one. If you like action, fun, humor, and are looking for something a bit different than all of the other video games out there (how many Call of Duty type games do we need), than pick up a copy of Sunset Overdrive! I wanted to play this one so much that I exchanged my Ps4 and Vita to get the White Xbox One bundle. Note: The only reason I am rating it a 9 is because I wish it included co-op for the campaign! Multiplayer is fun though!!! Expand
  18. Nov 4, 2014
    I don't normally get on with 3rd person shooters, but this game just gelled. After an hour getting used to some tricky and un-natural feeling controls (right bumper and x whist in the air for example), the game soon became natural and movement flowed like I imagine the developers imagined. So, be prepared for a small learning curve and some dexterous fingers in the early stages of theI don't normally get on with 3rd person shooters, but this game just gelled. After an hour getting used to some tricky and un-natural feeling controls (right bumper and x whist in the air for example), the game soon became natural and movement flowed like I imagine the developers imagined. So, be prepared for a small learning curve and some dexterous fingers in the early stages of the game. Luckily, the early stages are the weaker area of the game, (the dialog, missions and abilities, are all somewhat poorer than the later stages of the game. (About 2 hours in, things pick up).
    This game, for me, is new, fresh and amusing. The story is bonkers as are the weapons. The city looks fab and I personally love the soundtrack, those who don't like some lightweight punk music may not like it so much, but it so fits the game. Characters are funny, even though I did prefer the female voice for the main character. The in game cut-scenes are fantastic (where beating a boss especially).

Would I recommend this, of course I would. (And with it appearing as a digital download for way under £50 (unlike all other AAA titles at launch), digital is almost as competitive as buying a copy at Tesco.

Great game, just what the Xbox One needed.
  19. Nov 5, 2014
    Whoever said that Sunset Overdrive was 'repetitive' was not playing the same game I played. In fact, Sunset Overdrive may be the most diverse gameplay experience I've had in a game in a long time. Defending, Collecting, Grinding, Train-hopping and of course Boss-fighting are some of the many things you do in this wild, insane ride. The best way to describe this game would be a crossWhoever said that Sunset Overdrive was 'repetitive' was not playing the same game I played. In fact, Sunset Overdrive may be the most diverse gameplay experience I've had in a game in a long time. Defending, Collecting, Grinding, Train-hopping and of course Boss-fighting are some of the many things you do in this wild, insane ride. The best way to describe this game would be a cross between Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Saints Row and Jet Set Radio. You are constantly on the move, grinding and shooting your foes from place to place. The breakneck pace of this game can wear down on you after many hours, but it doesn't 'get old'. So if I'm saying all this great stuff, why didn't I give it a 10 instead of a 9? Well my problem is the lack of other activities to do in the open world. I can play and replay all the missions and side missions to my hearts content but... what else can i do? It has become the standard of open world games to have collectibles, activities and mini-games to waste your time when you aren't doing the main missions. Sunset Overdrive checks all of these boxes except for activities. Can I forget about the lack of activities and still enjoy Sunset Overdrive? Of course I can! It's a f@#*ing video game! Expand
  20. Nov 5, 2014
    If you like old skool fun games, this one is for you. You don't have to think too hard, you just get to jump in and play. Story? Sure, I guess. Fun? Hells yeah.
  21. Oct 30, 2014
    If you look at the history reviews of the users that gave this great game 0 or 1, you will notice that they sistematically give 0 to some xbox exclusive games e not less than 9 to every single ps4 game. The only childish thing in here are this Sony fanboys, not this game that imo is a must have for a xbox owner. You will have hours and hours of crazy fun. Literally. Good job Insomniac!
  22. Nov 3, 2014
    I am certain that the negative user reviews on here are from Sony Fanboys. If you've played this game you'll appreciate it's many plus points.. It looks amazing, the gameplay is fast and fluid - it's dead rising crossed with Tony hawks and so much more! The art style is just gorgeous. A must own for Xbox One owners.
  23. Nov 5, 2014
    This game is the most fun I've had in such a long time! It speaks exactly to my style and taste. It's bright, fun, colorful, weird, crazy, funny, wacky. It takes everything to the extreme. Any minor complaints I might have are drowned out by how much fun I'm having and how much I enjoy the world of Sunset City. It feels real and alive despite it being the apocalypse. If you countThis game is the most fun I've had in such a long time! It speaks exactly to my style and taste. It's bright, fun, colorful, weird, crazy, funny, wacky. It takes everything to the extreme. Any minor complaints I might have are drowned out by how much fun I'm having and how much I enjoy the world of Sunset City. It feels real and alive despite it being the apocalypse. If you count verticality (which you should) the map is HUGE! There is graffiti everywhere, billboards you can deface yourself, countless challenges to perfect to win clothes to customize your character. Items to collect that don't feel useless. tiny tiny SPOILER ahead i guess? idk : Satellites to hack and listen in on the citizens. SPOILER OVER :P Tons of side quests and generally an amazing city to discover. Everywhere you go you'll find something else interesting to see. Seriously, these game designers could be architects and city planners. There are also lots of nice touches and surprises. Certain things in the world act the way you would expect. If I smash that fire hydrant will it explode out a stream of water? yep! If I smash that atm or newspaper machine will money be found inside? yessir! And all throughout the city if you ever think, can i grind/bounce/wall run/vault/etc. on that thing? The answer 99.9% of the time is yes. This game uses so many different mechanics and mission types that every mission feels new and different even if it's just a combination of the things you did before. Defend this item/person, kill these enemies, find these objects, carry this object to this place, shoot this thing, etc. And yet they all feel unique. Missions that might be boring in another game, fetch quests, kill x amount of enemies, are surprisingly fun. It features many different enemy types and tons of different types of weapons so that how you play is somewhat unique to you and can change on a dime. Get new weapons, amps, and overdrives (smaller boosting abilities earned through badges) and mix and match to fit your play style. You're rewarded for how you play, earning badges that can be used towards the overdrives. Using your weapons levels them up, etc. A lot of the negativity that I've heard is people disliking the humor and the writing. Which I guess sometimes can miss the mark slightly. But I'm so in love with the gameplay/characters/environment/customization that I don't care. Maybe they'll improve that in their DLC or their next game if they make another (please make another!!). Seriously, I challenge you to play this game and try to get into it and not fall in love. I think people that dislike this game either take themselves too seriously or were trying to take the game too seriously. It knows it's a video game, you know it's a video game, just have fun!! (: Expand
  24. Nov 3, 2014
    This game is a lot of pure and simple fun. Everything in it is refreshing and makes me think about the next time ill have the opportunity to play it again like very few games. I strongly recommend it. And if you don't have the XB1 get the white bundle for $350. Cant get any better than that.
  25. Nov 3, 2014
    This game is extremely fun, the art style is terrific and it does a hell of a job making fun of itself, the characters are charismatic, fun and just likable. Gameplay is superb and the animations are well done and fluid, the small details in sunset overdrive make it a great game, but its not without it's flaws, Story though funny it's not really interesting. Also the missions can get a bitThis game is extremely fun, the art style is terrific and it does a hell of a job making fun of itself, the characters are charismatic, fun and just likable. Gameplay is superb and the animations are well done and fluid, the small details in sunset overdrive make it a great game, but its not without it's flaws, Story though funny it's not really interesting. Also the missions can get a bit repetitive at times.
    All those people giving it zero are just fanboys.
  26. Nov 18, 2014
    My choice for GOTY so far. Its just so much fun. The humor is spot on, and I just love the style of the game. Punk is my favorite, and a game that reminds me of Scott Pilgrim AND Tony Hawk Pro Skater is a serious win.
  27. Nov 3, 2014
    yep the story is cheeze, but the game never try to be serious, its really fun for me, its kind of a combination of old tony hawk skater games with a shooter. Game plays really well so you can pull off some fancy moves without much trouble and I just love the art-style. If you're looking for having some fun its a great game.
  28. Nov 3, 2014
    A new fun game that doesn't take itself seriously, this game is great fun and in ways it's humour is cheesy but for the most part it's quite amusing especially the references to gaming forums. The frame rate Is solid with plenty of action on screen, it's a fun fun game.
  29. Nov 3, 2014
    A superb start for a new franchise, Sunset Overdrive brings the old style of games that we all used to love, a simple and colorful game just focused on the fun and on the amusement, but Sunset Overdrive is more, a very big open world game with great and easy fun, brilliant jokes about everything (but the best ones are about games), Sunset Overdrive is superb in all the ways, the gameplayA superb start for a new franchise, Sunset Overdrive brings the old style of games that we all used to love, a simple and colorful game just focused on the fun and on the amusement, but Sunset Overdrive is more, a very big open world game with great and easy fun, brilliant jokes about everything (but the best ones are about games), Sunset Overdrive is superb in all the ways, the gameplay is precise, the graphics are gorgeous, the fun is awesome and the explosions, well, just superb. Expand
  30. Nov 3, 2014
    Have you ever played a mix between Tony Hawk, Crash Bandicot and GTA? No? If you want to try, this is the game to play!

Humorous quests, fun gameplay and weapon handling, getting high combos increases mayhem, fun and explositivity. I'm having great fun playing this game single player or with random people from around the world. The graphics and frame rate feel great, no slowdowns

The graphics and frame rate feel great, no slowdowns even in the most chaotic fights, with fireworks and explosions all over the screen.

If something would have to be negative it would be that the main quest can feel a bit short. Else it is only great fun if you want a laid back AAA game!
  31. Nov 3, 2014
    For me is one of the most entertaining games in years, forget about the physics, forget about the realism that only make games boring and linear.... hell of a trip !!!
  32. Nov 2, 2014
    I'm just going to throw this out there right now.. I own a PS4 I do not own an Xbox one but my buddy does... I'm kind of sick of seeing user scores for Xbox One games because it's always the same Sony fanBOYS that rate all PS4 exclusives high and all Xbox exclusives a 0. These people should be banned from reviewing games. I will say that this game is a lot more fun than infamous SSI'm just going to throw this out there right now.. I own a PS4 I do not own an Xbox one but my buddy does... I'm kind of sick of seeing user scores for Xbox One games because it's always the same Sony fanBOYS that rate all PS4 exclusives high and all Xbox exclusives a 0. These people should be banned from reviewing games. I will say that this game is a lot more fun than infamous SS

Anyway, I played this for hours at a buddies house and I really liked it, it reminded me of the good ole days with jetset radio but with guns and killing zombies.....I also love the fac tthat it does not take itself too seriously, it knows that it is a video-game and it is refreshing to see.... I didn't like the art style at first but I said the same about Borderlands and I got use to it..

The user score definitely deserves better than infamous ss, I own that game and it was boring to me and the weakest out of the series.. I apologize for the sony fanBOYS that hate on every Microsoft exclusives just to justify their purchase in the over-hyped PlayStation 4 that has crappy a network that we pay for now but they still defend the system, it never does wrong..

I know this was more of a rant, but anyway enjoy the game, it's old school and it's fantastic. User score should be at-least an 8.5
  33. Nov 6, 2014
    If you look at the negative reviews they are mostly people who give all xbox exclusives downvotes. Real fun game give it a shot. It is a great game to just let loose with.
  34. Nov 15, 2014
    This game is just hilarious and absolutely a blast to play. It looks a little hokey watching the commercials or videos but playing this game is where it's at. I'm glad I stuck with the Xbox one because it's just getting better and better.
  35. Oct 30, 2014
    Open world games are my favorite genre and Sunset Overdrive is on the top of that list. It's so much fun. I was worried that the controls for the grinding and jumping would be too hard to complete - I don't like games (like platformers) where you have to exactly hit a certain point, but that is not the case. The controls are fun and very quickly, it becomes second nature. There is soOpen world games are my favorite genre and Sunset Overdrive is on the top of that list. It's so much fun. I was worried that the controls for the grinding and jumping would be too hard to complete - I don't like games (like platformers) where you have to exactly hit a certain point, but that is not the case. The controls are fun and very quickly, it becomes second nature. There is so much to do in this game and it's visually stunning. The colors are so vibrant and the details in the environment are plentiful and amazing. The weapons are fun and I already purchased the season pass and was rewarded with items immediately. I don't play multiplayer (too many people are just RUDE to us female gamers!) so I can't comment on that, but single player is FUN! Expand
  36. Nov 24, 2014
    THIS IS A SPOILER FREE, NON-BIAS, AND IN DEPTH REVIEW.
    THIS IS A SPOILER FREE, NON-BIAS, AND IN DEPTH REVIEW.
    When sunset overdrive was first pitched, I was skeptical, but after getting my hands on it I must say this is truly one of the best games I've played this year based on the fact it gives the finger to the way other games try to present themselves as "THE NEXT GEN EXPERIENCE" or "THE REVOLUTIONARY NEXT STEP IN GAME DESIGN" and actually sort of does that by simply doing what many games forget is the most important thing about video games... HAVING FUN. Sunset overdrive is a colorful and beautiful world and I absolutely dig the 80's punk style world. Despite an actually effective story, it's high points in story telling is just being hilarious from making fun of itself to just breaking the forth wall commenting on things like flawed game design, commenting on situations, and just having fun with it all. Not once did I not feel I wasn't having fun as even dieting can be a blast cause I'll never know if I'll come back by being dropped off by a UFO of crawl out of a tv like the ring or so on. Gameplay is also really smooth and fast paced. With unique enemies and many different weapons and abilities, combat can get pretty insane. But more importantly the games most fun feature is its platforming. Is it realistic... HE'LL NO, but its amazing bounce 50ft in the air from jumping on a car just to land and grind on a telephone line while shooting enemies, just to jump across and slide on the water like Jesus at a swimming race and so on. Even when I was so pressured and caught up with the combat and mashing buttons I was still doing sick movements and few times did my character not do what I want. It's crazy that I can get this guy to bounce of a umbrella and grind on a fence before running on a wall without a problem, yet it's a pain in the ass to get Arno from ac unity to jump between roof tops. The movement also owes credit to smart map design which has plenty of chances for to to experiment with your superman park our skills. Even simple missions like fetch quests and so on feel fresh as I was always doing something different from using a wrecking ball, to controlling a killer robot dog, to even entering a twisted reality after drinking a bottle of medicine half-naked with leeches all over me( don't even ask) . My only complaint is while I didn't mind the missions themselves I did start to get annoyed with how long you goals drag on. For example, after to accidentally break a guys plane, you try to find a propeller to fix it. I went from having to protect a nerd, to leading him back to his friends, to do and get certain things for each of his four friends ( each thing is a mission of itself), to find a part they needed to finish the propeller, to participate in a murder game show for a hill billy so he'll give me the part, to bring it back to the guy to finish his plane. Few! At some points I even forgot what my main goals were, but despite that it doesn't matter cause for the smooth responsive gameplay to clever writing and stylish world, sunset overdrive is easily one of the most unique games I've ever played and a great exclusive for Xbox to have under their belt. A 9.5 out of 10!
  37. Nov 8, 2014
    It's the most video-gamey video game you'll video game this year. It's just fun gameplay. It's not deep, it doesn't take itself seriously, and it doesn't pretend that it should be. If you long for the day when you could just play a game for fun then this is what you're looking for. The negative reviews are all from people who think you need to be a "man-child" to enjoy a simple game withIt's the most video-gamey video game you'll video game this year. It's just fun gameplay. It's not deep, it doesn't take itself seriously, and it doesn't pretend that it should be. If you long for the day when you could just play a game for fun then this is what you're looking for. The negative reviews are all from people who think you need to be a "man-child" to enjoy a simple game with fun mechanics. Expand
  38. Nov 26, 2014
    This game is great! The music is perfectly mixed in with the great gameplay this game features. I recommend picking this up if you want to start your next gen experience with a blast. This game will also make you laugh and break the 4th wall more times than you can cough in a day. Don't listen to the bad reviews. Like one of the reviews stated they gave it a zero just for not being on theThis game is great! The music is perfectly mixed in with the great gameplay this game features. I recommend picking this up if you want to start your next gen experience with a blast. This game will also make you laugh and break the 4th wall more times than you can cough in a day. Don't listen to the bad reviews. Like one of the reviews stated they gave it a zero just for not being on the newest playstation which is NO way to rate a game just because it isn't on your favorite **** console. Just go buy this game and have fun. Expand
  39. Nov 4, 2014
    Super fun to play, awesome weapons, very funny. It's another great Xbox One game that you should buy. Everything about this game is super fun. The only reason this game gets negative reviews is because fanboys are jealous
  40. Nov 12, 2014
    PS4 FANBOYS HATE THIS GAME BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE IT. This game is absolutely incredible. Dont forget to buy it it is totally worth it. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  41. Nov 3, 2014
    Sunset Overdrive is a fast-paced, highly stylish and beautiful attempt to infuse the generally pretty dull sandbox genre with loads of fun. And it succeeds brilliantly. After a few minutes of playing the game you start to get a feeling for how the moving mechanics work and from there on out you don't want to put the controller down again. It just feels so good.

The game does not take

The game does not take itself serious at all, the characters you meet are silly the best way possible, customization options are vast and very diverse.

I do not know if this is the game you should get an Xbox one for, but if you already have an One sitting there in your living room you should probably Sunset Overdrive a go.
    I for one enjoyed it thoroughly.
  42. Nov 19, 2014
    Colorful eyecandy with crazy fun gameplay and active parkour. Sometimes game looks like CGI. Way better than Ratchet and Clank, only the story could be better.
  43. Nov 10, 2014
    If you own an Xbox One then this game is a must own. I give it a 9 out of 10. The writing is top notch - I actually laughed out loud more than once. The jokes about Breaking Bad or the respawn animations alone will entertain you. The colourful graphics are a breath of fresh air. While the gameplay takes some time to get used to, it is pure fun once you start pulling off combos with yourIf you own an Xbox One then this game is a must own. I give it a 9 out of 10. The writing is top notch - I actually laughed out loud more than once. The jokes about Breaking Bad or the respawn animations alone will entertain you. The colourful graphics are a breath of fresh air. While the gameplay takes some time to get used to, it is pure fun once you start pulling off combos with your weapons and amps. The gameplay is fast, but you will have a fun journey on the way. If I had one complaint it is the mission variety, but this is not to say the missions are not fun, it is just that we have seen similar fetch quests in other games, just in this game they are much more over the top.

The theme for this game should be FUN. Lots of games take themselves too seriously and forget about fun; this game is fun, fun, fun. The weapons are fun, the gameplay is fun, and the game design is fun. And it is a much needed break from shooters, racing games and sports games (all of which I love). It is in a genre all by itself - the fun game genre. I hope they make a sequel because this is a world I would love to go back to. I strongly recommend this game.
  44. Nov 8, 2014
    Hands down best game I've ever played. While it can be too crazy for some folk, this game is hilarious and a nonstop joy to play. Like others are saying, do not listen to the negative reviews. This game is impossible to rate badly upon as they did everything nearly perfect. (I actually reported the guy who gave it a 0/10) My only gripe with this game is that not everyone will be able toHands down best game I've ever played. While it can be too crazy for some folk, this game is hilarious and a nonstop joy to play. Like others are saying, do not listen to the negative reviews. This game is impossible to rate badly upon as they did everything nearly perfect. (I actually reported the guy who gave it a 0/10) My only gripe with this game is that not everyone will be able to enjoy this game due to it being xbox one exclusive. Expand
  45. Oct 30, 2014
    This game is a fresh breath for Microsoft and and has got great game play. Sunset overdrive is enjoyable and hard to put down the controller. I rate this game 10/10.
  46. Nov 10, 2014
    Well when i first saw sunset overdrive, i honestly was going to wait till it went on sale. After some great reviews, i just bought it to give it a shot. At 8 o'clock in the morning, i started the game, i wasn't really blown away by the presentation, seemed like a very colorful, almost childish looking game. Well the next thing i knew it was 5 o'clock in the afternoon still playing sunsetWell when i first saw sunset overdrive, i honestly was going to wait till it went on sale. After some great reviews, i just bought it to give it a shot. At 8 o'clock in the morning, i started the game, i wasn't really blown away by the presentation, seemed like a very colorful, almost childish looking game. Well the next thing i knew it was 5 o'clock in the afternoon still playing sunset overdrive!! Enough said, anyone here who gives it below a 8 is delusional, probably don't know how to play the game, or is a Sony fan-boy. The story is not what this game is about, its more about the game-play....its addicting!! Could have added an on-line competitive mode. The several pros out weights the couple cons! 60 bucks for this game is completely worth it for me at least! This game is a system seller!! Expand
  47. Nov 2, 2014
    This is a very fantastic game. I beat the story, all the side quests, and a lot of the challenges. While the missions are generally the same, they are a blast because the movement system is so fluid. The game is also downright hilarious because of the fantastic voice work. The graphics are AMAZING and the game is one of the few games I would call truly "next gen." Lastly, Chaos Squad is aThis is a very fantastic game. I beat the story, all the side quests, and a lot of the challenges. While the missions are generally the same, they are a blast because the movement system is so fluid. The game is also downright hilarious because of the fantastic voice work. The graphics are AMAZING and the game is one of the few games I would call truly "next gen." Lastly, Chaos Squad is a big surprise because it feels kind of like Mario Party in a very weird way. Overall, Sunset Overdrive is the reason to own an Xbox One and I would even say that it is worth buying an Xbox One. The poor reviews are probably just haters so don't listen to them! Expand
  48. Nov 4, 2014
    This game is amazing, it contains all you would want in a open world game. Imagine being able to create your own character with game play similar to saints row, infamous, and Jetset radio. Brilliant game, can't imagine why anyone put a negative review.
  49. Nov 6, 2014
    This game is a reminder of how fun games can be. Don't get me wrong, this game is pretty repetitive from time to time but honestly, what games don't get repetitive? It's fun to play and it breaks away from the norm. Honestly, I think we need more games like this.
    +Beautiful color scheme
    +Gorgeous Texture +Entertaining game play -Repetitive game play -Gets boring really fast -Lame
    +Beautiful color scheme
    +Gorgeous Texture
    +Entertaining game play

-Repetitive game play
    -Gets boring really fast
    -Lame enemies

All in all I think you should buy this game. Either pick it up at full price or buy it when the price drops. Either way, you will be pleased with your purchase
  50. Nov 7, 2014
    Well, i had a few days with this game...and all i can say is WOW, the first thing you notice are the colors, the vibrant world, it feels next gen. So where to begin, the game has elements of Jet Set Radio and Crackdown mixed with a bit of Dead Rising 3, and they blend seamlessly, the shooting mechanics are satisfying, the enemies are fun and their is no pressure to always succeed, it'sWell, i had a few days with this game...and all i can say is WOW, the first thing you notice are the colors, the vibrant world, it feels next gen. So where to begin, the game has elements of Jet Set Radio and Crackdown mixed with a bit of Dead Rising 3, and they blend seamlessly, the shooting mechanics are satisfying, the enemies are fun and their is no pressure to always succeed, it's like the game knows that you will die a lot so it is very forgiving when you fail. The missions are fun but nothing special, Sunset Overdrive is just a fun game, it doesn't take itself seriously and with a lot of games going for the more serious direction Sunset Overdrive is a breath of fresh air, if you are looking for a fun, stress free gaming experience in 2014 Sunset Overdrive is for you. Expand
  51. Nov 7, 2014
    This game is fantastic. It is what it is, a bit odd but that's what I LOVE about it. I work hard and have to be serious all the time, this game is the opposite of that. It let's you do what ever you want and be as silly and or absent minded as you want while still providing interesting challenges + humor! It's a game pure and simple, a good one at that.
  52. Nov 9, 2014
    PROS- This is an outstanding game with many Pros. Some being HD graphics, fun combat, parkour, much to explore, action, and a great story that you can follow.

CONS- There is only one con, which is that it is a little confusing
  53. Nov 10, 2014
    Sunset Overdrive is a fresh game that is artistic, and fun to play. The wide range of enemies and weapons allows variety, along with ten hours of story missions. Traversal in the game is the best with everything being made so you can grind on it. There are also many post credit activities, although the quests might get repetitive. Much of the ensemble are hilarious and the voice acting isSunset Overdrive is a fresh game that is artistic, and fun to play. The wide range of enemies and weapons allows variety, along with ten hours of story missions. Traversal in the game is the best with everything being made so you can grind on it. There are also many post credit activities, although the quests might get repetitive. Much of the ensemble are hilarious and the voice acting is well. I have come across a few minor bugs of clipping into objects, but nothing game breaking. Overall, this new I.P. to the Xbox One was much needed and the traversal mixed with gun play, along with a funny story, creates a great game and a must own. Expand
  54. Nov 10, 2014
    When I first saw this game, I was extremely skeptical about it, it seemed so wacky that I thought I simply wouldn't enjoy it, that was until I played it, the campaign was extremely fun and the idea that contaminated energy drinks caused mutations may seem absolutely rediculous but they somehow pulled it off. They customisation was not something I was expecting to like, but they gave youWhen I first saw this game, I was extremely skeptical about it, it seemed so wacky that I thought I simply wouldn't enjoy it, that was until I played it, the campaign was extremely fun and the idea that contaminated energy drinks caused mutations may seem absolutely rediculous but they somehow pulled it off. They customisation was not something I was expecting to like, but they gave you crazy amounts to alter and design a new look from your character with in game points. However for me the movement system was so fluent, when I first started to grind and build up my combo I was hooked, It was instantly fun to move around the map/area in such an overly dramatic way and taking out enemies along the way, also the 'Bosses' or different enemies was super fun to play/go up against and I like that they were all so different which was super enjoyable. I've even enjoyed watching multiple streams/play throughs of this game and would recommend playing it/watching it! Expand
  55. Nov 11, 2014
    Simply put, one of the most bonkers and fun games I have ever played! The art style is fantastic, the guns are just nuts and the city is a joy to traverse. A great new IP.
  56. Nov 11, 2014
    Sunset Overdrive signe avec brio le retour en force d'Insomniac Games. Techniquement irréprochable, cet open world déjanté séduit avant tout pour son ambiance délirante et son gameplay exigeant. On ne s’ennuie jamais grâce à des objectifs de mission variés et des dialogues savoureux qui suffisent à justifier l'expérience et cela malgré son mode multijoueur anecdotique ou sa bande-sonoreSunset Overdrive signe avec brio le retour en force d'Insomniac Games. Techniquement irréprochable, cet open world déjanté séduit avant tout pour son ambiance délirante et son gameplay exigeant. On ne s’ennuie jamais grâce à des objectifs de mission variés et des dialogues savoureux qui suffisent à justifier l'expérience et cela malgré son mode multijoueur anecdotique ou sa bande-sonore redondante. Sunset Overdrive est finalement la rencontre concluante de Jet Set Radio et Crackdown, qui démontre que le genre action en monde ouvert a de beaux jours devant lui. On en redemande.

57. Nov 11, 2014
    If you like the Art and these kind of Games, it is a must have for you. Over the First 1-2 Hours you learn how to play this amazing pice, after that, it is just FUN and ACTION...by far, one of The Best Games this year!
  58. Nov 11, 2014
    This game is absolutely amazing. I don't understand how anybody that likes a good shooter would pass this up or not like this. It's incredible. Grinding on rails does seem childish but when you see how it is used it makes so much sense. Battles tend to be scary as you'll see a ton(and i mean a ton) of things you got to shoot and just because it's a cartoon doesn't take anything away fromThis game is absolutely amazing. I don't understand how anybody that likes a good shooter would pass this up or not like this. It's incredible. Grinding on rails does seem childish but when you see how it is used it makes so much sense. Battles tend to be scary as you'll see a ton(and i mean a ton) of things you got to shoot and just because it's a cartoon doesn't take anything away from the action. It's hilarious and at the same time intense and I don't think I have ever played a game quite like this. It's unique and all the comparisons to dead rising 3 are awful because none of the zombies had guns or as you'll see what happens in this game.And what has become real addictive is the multiplayer chaos mode. I'm not gonna explain it because it shows for itself. I think that this game is definetly in my top 5 games of 2014 for sure. GO get IT! Expand
  59. Nov 12, 2014
    This game was the surprise of the year for me. I watched some of the early gameplay trailers and swiftly wrote the game off. I actually got this game as part of the white Xbox One bundle, and man what a treat this game is. VERY entertaining and fun, which really is what video games should be all about. Cruising around the city is ultra entertaining, which makes the slight repetition ofThis game was the surprise of the year for me. I watched some of the early gameplay trailers and swiftly wrote the game off. I actually got this game as part of the white Xbox One bundle, and man what a treat this game is. VERY entertaining and fun, which really is what video games should be all about. Cruising around the city is ultra entertaining, which makes the slight repetition of the missions a very ok thing. As others have said, I almost never use fast travel unlike other games where I almost immediately start using it. I love the style, the controls are solid, though initially challenging and overwhelming, and just the overall feel of the game. This is a must own for any Xbox One owner. Expand
  60. Nov 14, 2014
    Think Jet Set Radio Future rail-sliding, Borderlands weapons, Crackdown baddie stomping, and over-the-top slapstick comedy routines in a candy-coated wrapping of fun.
    This game is a hoot.
    Now give me a map editor, loot table editor, and a baddie editor and I'll buy SO2 and 3 before they're even announced.
  61. Nov 14, 2014
    Great game! Sunset Overdrive delivers on so many levels. The unique combat/traversal system is fun to play with and the variety of weapons to level up and wreck havoc with will keep you entertained for hours. It's one of the best games one next gen for sure, and there's nothing bad i can think of to say about it. Definitely worth picking up full price!
  62. Nov 19, 2014
    Sunset Overdrive is a fun, colorful new take on the zombie-killer genre, but with a twist. Overall, game play is enjoyable, however dialogue is extremely annoying as the game tries too hard to be funny, cool and in-your-face. The main character manages to be really annoying and badly written. The character customization is neat and I really like how you can customize your character as muchSunset Overdrive is a fun, colorful new take on the zombie-killer genre, but with a twist. Overall, game play is enjoyable, however dialogue is extremely annoying as the game tries too hard to be funny, cool and in-your-face. The main character manages to be really annoying and badly written. The character customization is neat and I really like how you can customize your character as much as you like, whenever you like. I don't enjoy the voice chosen for the male protagonist as it sounds too cartoony for an M-rated game, even one that doesn't take itself seriously. I'm also disappointed by the lack of destruction, which the game has but obviously not enough. There aren't any choices for melee weapons besides the fact that you can customize the look of it and add amps to improve its ability (flinging fire balls, for example).

Overall, a solid game for the Xbox One and a god addition to the Xbox's exclusive library. It feels like Jet Set Radio, Dead Rising 3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater and Infamous all jumbled up into one game, and that's not a bad thing at all.
  63. Nov 22, 2014
    This is the gamer's game I've wanted to play for a while. It condenses gamer culture into witty humor in the writing and dialogue and well as how they teach you how to play. It's a fun adventure with awesome traversal mechanics and crazy beautiful colors and graphics, that runs smoothly all the time, even if there's a ton of stuff happening on screen at once. The only thing that is keepingThis is the gamer's game I've wanted to play for a while. It condenses gamer culture into witty humor in the writing and dialogue and well as how they teach you how to play. It's a fun adventure with awesome traversal mechanics and crazy beautiful colors and graphics, that runs smoothly all the time, even if there's a ton of stuff happening on screen at once. The only thing that is keeping me from giving it a perfect score is the co-op, it's fun and captures the game-play great, it just lacks the humor hat I loved in the single-player. However, this is one of the games I wanted an Xbone for and I'm glad I got my hands on it. Expand
  64. Dec 6, 2014
    Sunset Overdrive is a mesh between Saints Row and Tony Hawk, for me that's a beautiful combo. It only took 8 hours to complete the story but so far I've put 35 hours into the game. What kept me playing is the collectibles, challenges, and side quests. I usually don't go this far with a game very often. I normally not the type of person that has to collect every collectible or get everySunset Overdrive is a mesh between Saints Row and Tony Hawk, for me that's a beautiful combo. It only took 8 hours to complete the story but so far I've put 35 hours into the game. What kept me playing is the collectibles, challenges, and side quests. I usually don't go this far with a game very often. I normally not the type of person that has to collect every collectible or get every achievement or get the highest score in certain missions, but with Sunset getting collectibles was enjoyable for me I made it a game for myself where I would try not to stop moving to collect something so if their was a roll of toilet paper on a pole, a sign on a wall and a security camera near, I would try to pole swing, wall run and, shoot the security camera all without stopping. The movement is what got me hooked getting these random pieces wasn't for the achievement or being able to buy amps (I was pretty set on amps before but now I have all of them) I really enjoyed just moving around the world and I felt this game really deserves more then just a story playthrough or a meager 15hrs time played. So I kept at it, completed all side objectives, collectibles, and got gold on every challenge and even replayed challenges after getting gold just to better my score. But after all this praise there were some issues, of course the story being short was a issue but I did enjoy every minute of it. Most of the quests were go collect something and bring it back missions which suits this style of game but I felt that it was over done and wished their was more mission variety. The fetch quests isn't my biggest complaint, fetch quests were bearable because I did enjoy moving around the world so I didn't mind too much but someone looking for more variety probably wouldn't find enjoyment out of the repeated fetch quests. My biggest complaint would have to be the AI for the enemies most notably for the OD, in certain missions if you cleared out a wave of OD and stayed in the same spot the rest of the OD on the map wouldn't aggro and just stand in one spot frozen. This was especially frustrating when trying to do point challenges when moving too much could cause a error and make you fall to the ground and lose your combo (I understand if you fall to the ground you can keep your combo as long as your killing enemies but by the time the fact I have fallen to the ground to register in my mind I would have already lost the combo) Movement is key as I said in previous parts but on certain challenges letting the OD come to you was more beneficial, like for example the charge beam challenge every time I got close to getting gold was because I bounced and grinded in the same spot, once I had to move from that spot out of my comfort zone because OD wouldn't move I ended up failing. Its a minor pet peeve and it possibly is meant to do that to keep you from getting comfortable I just got aggravated that some OD would aggro and large chunks would just sit motionless. But so far I have enjoyed that game it definitely doesn't deserve a perfect score but I think a 8 does this game justice, anyone that likes the humor of the recent Saints row games, and the movement of Tony Hawk will love this game just as I have. :) Expand
  65. Nov 29, 2014
    This game is not perfect. Over-saturated colors and never-changing pace of action makes me tired. Guns are bit too crazy for me...
    But overall - this is a one of the best games I EVER played!
  66. Dec 2, 2014
    The overall user reviews are a terrible point of reference. The number of reviewers giving it a flat 0 is ridiculous, the only way a game truly deserves a rating that low is if it is literally unplayable. Sunset Overdrive is an incredibly original IP that brings a fresh sense of exploration to the table. The punk style of the game almost feels like a direct throwback to the 90's,The overall user reviews are a terrible point of reference. The number of reviewers giving it a flat 0 is ridiculous, the only way a game truly deserves a rating that low is if it is literally unplayable. Sunset Overdrive is an incredibly original IP that brings a fresh sense of exploration to the table. The punk style of the game almost feels like a direct throwback to the 90's, delivering a nostalgic feeling like playing a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game. The gameplay is fast at all times, so don't plan on standing still for very long. The character customization is really good, and adds to the enjoyment of riding through the wacky campaign. The humor is a bit on the weak side, but I personally appreciated the random silliness as I tore through Sunset City. Technically speaking, the game seems to have been patched up well and delivers a fairly seamless multiplayer experience. All in all, Sunset Overdrive is in my opinion one of the more overrated titles on the Xbox One, and deserves credit for thinking way outside the box to deliver a game that feels old school and yet new school all in one. Expand
  67. Nov 11, 2014
    If you're tired of the same old on Microsoft consoles, Sunset Overdrive is the cure. The team from Insomniac did a great job with this game. It reminds me a bit of Jet Set Radio with a soundtrack of punk rock which sounds like it comes right out of the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater franchise. The story of the game loses itself in parody, but it feels as though the developers didn't actually wantIf you're tired of the same old on Microsoft consoles, Sunset Overdrive is the cure. The team from Insomniac did a great job with this game. It reminds me a bit of Jet Set Radio with a soundtrack of punk rock which sounds like it comes right out of the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater franchise. The story of the game loses itself in parody, but it feels as though the developers didn't actually want the game to be judged on story. It makes fun of itself constantly and makes comments on tropes in many open world games. The humor in the game is a big part of the experience but it was quite hit or miss with me. Sometimes it gets me laughing (Such as the various respawn animations) and other times it makes me cringe a bit (Like the reliance on tired memes for some of the humor). The game makes direct references to the likes of Reddit, NeoGAF, and Facebook, which doesn't sit well with me but could be funny for others. The best portion of the game is in the gameplay though. Missions aren't too varied, but the method of combat and travel is in my opinion one of the most interesting in any open world game I've played. The game punishes you for staying on the ground, and gives you ample opprotunities to swing, run, and grind around buildings and in the air while fighting. There's a certain joy that comes out of pulling off combinations of stylish moves without stopping as you blast through the OD hordes. Overall I think Sunset Overdrive is a fun and self-aware new IP that deserves attention compared to the usual yearly releases, and Microsoft would do well to continue to reach out in this way. Expand
  68. Nov 5, 2014
    Sunset Overdrive is a furiously fast take on the open world third-person shooter that delivers high-quality gameplay and good times through all of its excessively loud silliness

WHAT THE GAME DOES WELL You are meant to traverse around the city as fast as possible by using your super human ability to turn an entire Metropolitan city into your own personal skateboarding park. Enemies

WHAT THE GAME DOES WELL
    You are meant to traverse around the city as fast as possible by using your super human ability to turn an entire Metropolitan city into your own personal skateboarding park. Enemies move at you very quickly, so you have to use your physical talents to zip-line, grind-rail and bounce to both escape and attack enemies. The action is almost like a rail shooter, except you still maintain control of your character at all times.

It took me a couple of hours to get the feel for how to really control your character. There’s definitely a learning curve, but once you get the hang of how to move using the environment, you become capable of doing a lot of really cool stuff that’s not that difficult to execute.
    Sunset Overdrive does a fantastic job saving your progress. I wish more games would adopt their generous re-spawn points, because I don’t like having to replay a part I already did over and over again. The game also now claims the title of most humorous re-spawn animations, as they cleverly spoof other video games and movies so well it almost makes you look forward to dying.

Most of the humor in the game comes from breaking down the fourth wall and simultaneously pointing out the foibles and absurdity of Sunset Overdrive and all videogames in general. This is not the first game to do that type of humor, but they are one of the better ones at it, as most of the time the jokes land. This is easily one of the funniest games of the year.

WHAT THE GAME DOES EVEN BETTER
    I started trying to create a character that looked like me, but it ended up looking like Bruce Vilanch and Zack Galifianakis did the nasty and created a baby.

You can change your character’s appearance at any time, but when it looks like the love child of Bruce Vilanch and Zack Galifanakis, why mess with perfection?

WHAT THE GAME COULD HAVE IMPROVED
    It did take a little longer than normal before I really got into the swing of the game and some people will be turned off because of that. The game feels like it controls a little stiff and difficult out of the gate, but as you become more and more familiar with the game mechanics, you soon realize that it always handled amazingly and you just had to work on technique.

The campaign and side quests don’t take that much time as I completed them in under 20 hours and there’s nothing that really makes me want to go back and play any of the missions over. The game does have replay value, but it comes from going after the collectibles hidden throughout the open world. Because of how much fun it is to move through the city like a superhero, collecting scraps of toilet paper and stinky shoes becomes more fun than tedious.

There is multiplayer, but it didn't do a whole lot to make me want to play it for very long. All you do is complete missions while working together with 8 players while also simultaneously competing against them for points. The first time I played it I finished 2nd and thought it was kind of cool. The second time around I finished 5th and then promptly lost interest.
    OVERALL
    The best Xbox One exclusive game yet. Sunset Overdrive is a game that above all knows how to have fun at all times and just like the poisoned energy drink in the game that turned everyone into mutants, it's contagious.

69. Nov 9, 2014
    Sunset Overdrive is a real video game. It's fun, sometimes challenging and does not want to be serious in its atmosphere and story. As soon as you get used to bouncing and grinding, which takes 1-2 hours, you'll get a crazy world to explore and some real fun missions. The size of the open world and length of story is fine with me. Compared to GTA V I would rank the game with a 80% in termsSunset Overdrive is a real video game. It's fun, sometimes challenging and does not want to be serious in its atmosphere and story. As soon as you get used to bouncing and grinding, which takes 1-2 hours, you'll get a crazy world to explore and some real fun missions. The size of the open world and length of story is fine with me. Compared to GTA V I would rank the game with a 80% in terms of details and things to do in the open world. But still it has many collectibles and it becomes real fun to travel over the city like a super hero. Definitly a buy for me. Expand
  70. Nov 19, 2014
    Last time I had this much fun with a game I was playing prototype, and although its not quite like that game it has many similarities: Huge open world to traverse, creative ways to kill enemies, and its so much fun to simply move around.
  71. Dec 4, 2014
    Everyone who gives this game a 0 is or a sony fan or doesn't even know what a 0/10 means.
    This game is much more original than other games. It has some problems but it's one of those good games you'll remember. It's design is original, the characters are original. I hope Microsoft will continue this way for more awesome game such as Quantum break and many others!
  72. Nov 21, 2014
    + You can defy the laws of physics in nearly countless ways such as: jumping 30 feet in the air from a dead stop, running horizontally along vertical walls, bouncing on solid cars like they're trampolines, and grinding uphill along rails.
    + You can kill people and/or mutants and/or robots with a harpoon launcher, a fully automatic vinyl record rifle, an acid sprinkler slingshot, a bowling ball cannon, and a gun that shoots exploding teddy bears.
    + You can use energy drinks as currency.
    + You can fast travel by getting drunk and waking up in a port-a-potty.
    + You can make your character a bearded woman.

Game of the Year
  73. Nov 20, 2014
    this is what happens when insomniac is allowed to do what they want unlike what they did for the entire ps3 generation, they make phenomenal games and sony missed out big time by not green lighting this project, best insomniac game since R&C 2
  74. Nov 23, 2014
    This game is sure to entertain even the most stubborn of people. Coming with a bundle of a white Xbox One (optional) you're in for a good deal, this game doesn't take itself seriously under any circumstances, the appeals to all audiences (mostly pointed towards people 13+). This game is amazing with its open world counterpart. Go buy this game now!
  75. Nov 26, 2014
    Rock'n'Roll! This game is totally awesome! I laughed a lot, the game has fun story, bosses are cool, weapons are awesome. Game mechanics are also fantastic with all the jumps, slides on water and rails, air boosts, slam downs and so on. I didn't enjoy a game so much for a long time, I've finished it and had a huge smile on my face. A definite must have and probably a reason you should buyRock'n'Roll! This game is totally awesome! I laughed a lot, the game has fun story, bosses are cool, weapons are awesome. Game mechanics are also fantastic with all the jumps, slides on water and rails, air boosts, slam downs and so on. I didn't enjoy a game so much for a long time, I've finished it and had a huge smile on my face. A definite must have and probably a reason you should buy Xbox One for (or at least rent it to play this one game). Everyone should try this game! Expand
  76. Dec 1, 2014
    Very few games can make you laugh but this game had me itching for the next missions set dialogue.
    The game mechanics make it easy to zip from one place to another while simultaneously driving bullets down your enemys throat. This is probably the first game I didnt take advantage of its fast travel option because it was so fun to just move from place to place. Great humerus story with even better gameplay
  77. Jan 16, 2015
    After playing this game for half a dozen hours there is one word that describes how I feel perfectly. That word is "bored". I cannot for the life of me understand why IGN gave this the Best Xbone Game of 2014 title. It is such as shame as this game starts off with so much promise. It is quite polished with a decent idea & setting, too bad the story isn't up to scratch. . Being 720p I alsoAfter playing this game for half a dozen hours there is one word that describes how I feel perfectly. That word is "bored". I cannot for the life of me understand why IGN gave this the Best Xbone Game of 2014 title. It is such as shame as this game starts off with so much promise. It is quite polished with a decent idea & setting, too bad the story isn't up to scratch. . Being 720p I also couldnt really tell the difference from 1080p as it runs quite smoothly. The enemies are monotonous and dont quite vary enough to keep you immersed or engaged. One major issue I have is the much hyped environment traversal. Only now after playing for hours have I quite got the hang of grinding and bouncing through the city, yet it is still excruciatingly painful for a fair portion of the time. I read a previous review of this game and they described it as "Infamous for kids", and I have to say I agree with this statement somewhat. Fair enough the city has been taken over by mutants but it just doesn't feel like it was ever alive or living and breathing. The major problem with this game however is the quest structure. 80% of the quests/activities are fetch quests. These are mostly similar to the previous quest or exactly the same. This game gets boring and old quickly, it doesnt quite have the pulling power to keep you entertained for long periods of time as I find myself getting agitated with all the grinding and jumping and repeat quests. Lastly i'd say this isnt targeted at mature audiences despite the crass humour. 6/10 Expand
  78. Dec 29, 2014
    Sunset Overdrives has a huge ego and embraces its cockiness head on with hilarious conversation and outraged game play. The fantastic art design, stylish characters and refreshing originality makes this one of the best Xboxone exclusives. Zipping, bouncing, and shooting are redefined! This is next gen gameplay! You will be left with nothing short of a masterpiece.
  79. Dec 26, 2014
    This game is a breath of fresh air. I know you're thinking, "The game looks slow and boring." I completely agree BUT you have to look at it as an action-platformer game to really appreciate the gameplay; think Ratchet and Clank, or Jak & Daxter. Some guns have the generic feel (like the AK-looking rifle, and shotgun) but most have fun qualities about them. And what makes them even moreThis game is a breath of fresh air. I know you're thinking, "The game looks slow and boring." I completely agree BUT you have to look at it as an action-platformer game to really appreciate the gameplay; think Ratchet and Clank, or Jak & Daxter. Some guns have the generic feel (like the AK-looking rifle, and shotgun) but most have fun qualities about them. And what makes them even more fun are the Amps, which act like perks. Essentially, the gameplay is all about shooting cool weapons while jumping and grinding around, just as you would in a game like Ratchet & Clank. I appreciate the story, and overall vibe, because it focuses on having fun, sort of like Saint's Row but without the lewdness. Really, from the games I've seen so far since this current-gen began, no other game is like Sunset Overdrive.

tl;dr - If you liked the PS2-era of action-platformers (Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank), or just a casual shooter-platformer with a "blow $&@% up" vibe, then you should definitely check this game out.
  80. Dec 10, 2014
    This is the best game I have played in a long while. The running system is always fun, and the unconventional weapons and storyline had me laughing frequently. However, the game's free running system can feel like "press x to win" sometimes.
  81. Dec 21, 2014
    Sunset Overdrive is a good game if you have an Xbox One I recommend you pick this one up.
    It doesn't take itself too seriously which is kind off refreshing for Xbox seeing as most the exclusives usually are you more typical frag head protagonist running around shooting things for very little reason other than bad guys are threatening your existence, The game is packed with humor even dying has its rewards with each death bring its own humorous resurrection to the table.
    The game is not too hard yet not too easy and has a fairly good variety of enemies throughout the game to keep things interesting with a few cool bosses thrown into the mix.
    One of the best things Sunset Overdrive has to offer is its weapons they are goofy and creative and Amps can also spice the game up with plenty off challenges to keep you playing hours past the main storyline not to mention it has Co-op so you can jump in with a friend at anytime.
    The only things that hinder the game are its Graphics now this Game is an exclusive to Xbox One so they should have no excuse pushing the hardware to impress but it doesn't this game at times looks like it was ripped straight from Saints Row 3 and although the game is Cartoony it still looks a little sketchy mostly in cutscenes for this game to NOT hit 1080p is pretty embarrassing for the Xbox One and really brings up questions to exactly how powerful the console truly is hell Bayonetta 2 on the Wii U looks better and the Wii U is constantly bashed for its underpowered Hardware.
    Sunset Overdrive is not the best game you will ever play but it is a fun addictive adrenaline ride worthy of a purchase 8/10.
  82. Dec 23, 2014
    I got to use a fireworks launcher and it reminded me of my favorite song Katy Perry Fireworks 10/10 .
  83. Dec 30, 2014
    wow is all i can say, this game is great! it that wacky , funny and exciting game you play when your bored and tired of playing repetitive games like CoD and Battlefield. Although awesome , i wouldn't give it a perfect score just some little things that you can usually ignore.
  84. Feb 9, 2015
    I just do not understand the reviews that I read about this game. I waited on the game for months, and even bought an X1 in anticipation of it. I mean I wanted to try Titanfall also, but this was the game that made me want that console. So, I read reviews about it that only bolstered my anticipation for the game.

Only, after I got it home and started playing it....I realized that it

Only, after I got it home and started playing it....I realized that it freaking sucked. It did not take long at all either. I have to believe that a pile of the good reviews on Metacritic are paid/fake.

First of all, the game is repetitive. I mean, all games are...Right? However, this one is so much so, that it is unplayable for me. I so much want to love the game. I kept it in the hopes that it would grow on me, but it just couldn't. Being forced to constantly grind and jump is so....Childish IMO.

I would say that this game is for children, except that I don't want my children playing something with the foul language
  85. Oct 30, 2014
    Quirky, nostalgic and good fun. For anyone that grew up playing Tony Hawks Pro Skater listening to Sum 41.
    It's essentially Pop Culture crammed into a video game, oozing with witty humour and interesting gameplay.
    A definite must buy.
  86. Oct 29, 2014
    You'll have a great time with this game. You know when a game gets this much praise from credible review sites and then you see a bunch of 0's, that means Sony fanboys are really upset they don't have the game. Take the credible reviewer's words and the fanboy's 0's as a sign that this game is awesome.
  87. Nov 13, 2014
    This game is great. The hate comes from the sony fanboys that just hate everything mircosoft and havent actually played the game. The humor can be hit or miss(although i enjoyed it for the most part) and the first hour or 2 can be quite boring as they explain every detail of the game. after that though the world is open to you and it gets much better. the combat is the strength of thisThis game is great. The hate comes from the sony fanboys that just hate everything mircosoft and havent actually played the game. The humor can be hit or miss(although i enjoyed it for the most part) and the first hour or 2 can be quite boring as they explain every detail of the game. after that though the world is open to you and it gets much better. the combat is the strength of this game. Really fun and it actually makes what may have been a more boring sidequest into a fun experience. The movement is extremely well done and the map design is a huge part of that. I found myself only sparingly using the fast travel because i enjoyed moving across the map using the rails and bounces. Great game and one that every xbox one owner should have! Expand
  88. Oct 29, 2014
    Fast, funny, gorgeous graphics... what else can I say? After Forza Horizon 2 one of the biggest launches of the year for XBOX ONE. Won't regret buying it. Definitely i would recommend it to anyone willing to play a nextgen true experience.
  89. Oct 29, 2014
    Easily one of the most fun experience i've had in gaming, imagine Jet Set Radio meets Crackdown...yep, it's THAT AWESOME

Graphics are insanely good and colorful, grinding and moving through the city is pure gaming bliss once you hav the tech down...Insomniac is back !
  90. Oct 29, 2014
    This game is on my to play list. I'll return to review it fully once I've played through it. This post is to counter all the ridiculous, childish, ZEROs from people that never have and never will play the game.

Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and PC gamer for life! Grow up kids, and if you're an adult, you should be ashamed of yourself.
  91. Nov 2, 2014
    Don't listen to the negative reviews most of them are sony fanboys. This game is fantastic. All the fanboys wish they had this game on their console or should i say any kind of game to play on their ps4's.
  92. Oct 31, 2014
    Great game. ..arcade shooting action nonsense at it's best. . it's like dead rising 3 on a speed. . .meth. .and acid combo.

ignore the Sony fanboys down voting it, they're just deeply hurt it's not on the PS4. . .

Really .. .VERY. . deeply hurt.. .
  93. Oct 29, 2014
    Amazing game filled with wacky humor and artistic flare. The game never takes itself too seriously and the over the top story and dialogue offers a lot of moments that will make you chuckle. The mechanics are spot on. The multiplayer is chaotic and amazingly fun when youre in a game filled with several other people bouncing and grinding all over the map.

Don't let this one pass you up,

Don't let this one pass you up, its been worth the wait and one of the few games of 2014 that actually delivers.
  94. Oct 28, 2014
    Sunset overdrive is an awesome game! It wasn't really on my radar but I picked it up anyway. I'm glad I did. The game is fast and filled with hilarious fun moments, cool weapons and looks amazing! If you're a gamer looking for a great game to have fun with there is no excuse not to own Sunset Overdrive! Take my word for it - You'll have a blast. :)
  95. Oct 28, 2014
    This is a GREAT game and shows you things do not have to be serious and its not all about FPS and 1080p

This is a game about having fun and blowing stuff up. Its silly and its fun and that my friends is what games are about FUN.

don't even think about it just go buy this game its worth every cent.
  96. Oct 29, 2014
    So far I have played Sunset Overdrive a couple of hours, and let me a good taste of mouth. I do not think this game will be a reason to buy an Xbox One, but for the actual owners of such console I think it a great option to have lot of fun, almost a must have game.

I would try to update my review with more time invested in the game so stay tunned... jajajaja
  97. Nov 8, 2014
    Ignore the 0 reviews, they are quite clearly ps fanboys trying to bring the score down. I can see how the game wouldn't be for some people but no serious review can give any well made AAA game a 0. It's pretty obvious some people haven't actually played this game when they make posts about it being for 5 year olds and children despite the language and themes present that aren't suitableIgnore the 0 reviews, they are quite clearly ps fanboys trying to bring the score down. I can see how the game wouldn't be for some people but no serious review can give any well made AAA game a 0. It's pretty obvious some people haven't actually played this game when they make posts about it being for 5 year olds and children despite the language and themes present that aren't suitable for kids.

Anyway I'd have to say this is the best game of the xbox one/ps4 generation so far for me. I went in expecting the jokes to be forced and cheesy but I was surprised that there was actually some well written humour in there and I didn't find it annoying at all (again unexpected).

The game isn't any more repetetive than any other sandbox game such as GTA, Infamous, Dead rising etc. The "boss" encounters in this game are fun and varied (more so than any of the above mentioned games) and the presentations and animations are top notch with their comic book style intros and cut scenes. The art direction in general is pretty cool.

The controls didn't take me as long to get a handle on as some claimed, if you have played tony hawks in the past you'll pick them up pretty easily but it does take a little bit of time to get your hands around pulling off some of the moves quickly while aiming.

The main story is a little on the short side for this genre (good length for fps but not for a sandbox - roughly 12-15 hours for the main story with minimal side quests) but there is a bunch of side quests and activities so if you are doing those while playing the main story (and really who plays a sandbox to pump through the main story?) it's a decent length.

Performance wise I've had zero issues, no pop ins, no screen tear, no lag. Those zero reviews really haven't played this game.

Anyway if you own an xbox one you should give this game a go, it's a lot of fun and a breath of fresh air with it's self aware humour. Too many games these days are taking the dark approach and this looks and feels different.
  98. Oct 31, 2014
    This game is incredible from start to finish. This beauty is a Sandbox game, but don't think of GTA or even Saints Row because this game is in a different playing field entirely. In fact, so far its in a different field from most games, because this game has twisted Genres into something new and unique.

Movement is one of the biggest stars in mechanics here, and it is based off not

Movement is one of the biggest stars in mechanics here, and it is based off not cars, not running and not flying - but it feels way cooler than any of those alternatives. In this game you use almost every surface to grind, bounce, swing, slide and wall run your way around the city. And this game was brilliantly designed with this in mind - every ten feet or so there are opportunities to travel in style as opposed to staying on the ground. It's so well designed that you don't need to know the layout of a area to effectively travel it - after the first hour of game play you can confidently jump off any building or power line and mid-flight find something to aim for to continue your line unbroken. There is literally no areas where you can't do this - even a giant harbor splitting parts of the city has ways to bounce and swing over it without pause. It hits an incredible balance of fun, convenience, and challenge. In fact, the game offers fast travel, but even if my destination was on the opposite side of the map (which, by the way, is not huge, but impressively diverse and large nonetheless), I would forgo the fast travel because its just a blast to move around.

The second mechanic, the fighting, is ridiculous, explosive, and always interesting. There are a few normal guns - but those all take the backseat the the home-made guns that are born of a crazy and brilliant mind. There are launchers that shoot Chinese fireworks instead of grenades, a flamethrower-shotgun abomination - a freaking pack of roman candles converted into some form of automatic flaming storm of colors and pain.

Combine these two elements, with style, and you get Sunset Overdrive. You can fight enemies from the ground, but you will just make an easy target to be overrun. No, instead you will bounce off cars, grind handrails, and fling yourself off streetlights - all while gunning down hordes of enemies, which will not be difficult since you only have to aim NEAR any enemy for the gun to lock on. so the game does help with aim assist, but that's really just because you are probably in the middle of a sick grind and is kind enough to let you focus on both while trying to not frustrate you. Do this, and you will build up a combo multiplier - essential, because you can pick and choose abilities that activate at these certain levels that really turn the tide of combat. And the design of the environment means there is never a lack of options on how you want to avoid having your boots on the ground while fighting.

This is a brilliant combination of mechanics, and I'll tell you why: Sunset Overdrive is not that hard to play. You can just sit on one rail or bounce off one object and, at least with enemies that have no guns, just shoot at the horde while staying out of their grasp. But in the same sense, you could always just snowboard straight down a mountain or go through a skate park while avoiding any ramps or rails.
    You don't want to avoid those opportunities for tricks. You want to build that combo chain. And those enemies are just one small part of the chain - a kill counts in your combo. You want to see if you can shoot six people while leaping from the kiosk to the firetruck. You want to end your wall-run with a leap to an air vent a bandit is on to split him in half and jump to the next handrail in the same moment. You want to feel cool and look cool while doing it. This combat, combined with the movement and combo, means you can try to tackle the sweetest moves you can manage while taking on the enemies, and if you can't handle both you can always slow down or take less chances in where you jump. In a sense, you can choose the difficulty on the fly, and focus on whats important as you go - do it quickly and easily and with some style, or do it like a flying, unstoppable bad ass?

I spent all my words writing about the mechanics, but that doesn't mean the rest of the game is lacking. The graphics are great, stylish and colorful like album art or a concert poster come to life. In fact, the same could be said of the characters and music - unforgettable and interesting. The dialogue is hilarious and clever, fourth-wall breaking fun that is self-aware. No lines feel forced or lame. The character customization is fairly deep, and your character is fully voice-acted and feels like a real part of the world. The only complaint is the story is a bit short - but there is very little repetition, every mission is a blast and can be replayed anytime.

This game is pure, quality fun. Which is what a game should be - and S.O. delivers that in spades.
  99. Oct 30, 2014
    Now what do we have here, first of all if you liked the Ratchet and Clank series you will love this game, if you like mindlessly getting off track in open world games, you will like this game, if you like extreme wackiness YOU WILL LIKE THIS GAME!
    Sunset overdrive is a game where it doesn't take itself seriously and consistently breaks the 4th wall, it's fun and offers plenty to do. It's not as easy as it looks either and can, and most likely will, keep you entertained for hours.
    Only drawback for me personally is at the moment not enough variety in the multiplayer (still fun though). Other than this reason it was more than worth the buy.
  100. Oct 29, 2014
    Great game. Makes me very happy to own an Xbox One. 3 hours in and I'm addicted. PS4 has nothing like this, and won't for the foreseeable future. Insomniac has created a masterpiece here that flies in the face of every banal, superfluous generic game out there, and provides exactly the kind of experience one could hope for in this sea of low-risk corporate creations, like Destiny and CoD.Great game. Makes me very happy to own an Xbox One. 3 hours in and I'm addicted. PS4 has nothing like this, and won't for the foreseeable future. Insomniac has created a masterpiece here that flies in the face of every banal, superfluous generic game out there, and provides exactly the kind of experience one could hope for in this sea of low-risk corporate creations, like Destiny and CoD. Xbox One is $250 right now: buy one, buy Sunset Overdrive, and enjoy. There's plenty more exclusive promising new ip's in the pipe, and this is just the beginning. Expand

1. Feb 9, 2015
    Probably the best next gen exclusive we've seen so far. It's not perfect but a great return to form for Insomniac. [Issue#257, p.56]
  2. Jan 9, 2015
    A game that would be even cooler if it didn’t try so hard to be cool. To love it you need to switch off the part of the brain responsible for good taste, but in return Sunset Overdrive relentlessly strokes the part responsible for pleasure. [13/2014, p.76]
    Fast, playful and colorful game that does have style and dynamic action, but also a pretty dull story that soon becomes boring. [Issue#248]