6.8

1. Oct 31, 2014
    Well, having waited to purchase an XBOX One until this game had arrived was something of a disappointment!! With all the hype about the return of the survival horror and the return of the director of resident Evil, they had managed to whip us all into a frenzy, into which Evil Within failed to deliver!

The main factor is the fact that this game is NOT scary!!!??? Survival horrors are supposed to do just that, scare you, and this didnt achieve that. Gory yes, very gory, but there were no suprise enemies that suddenly jump out and **** you up, it was all very predictable.

The story itself is pretty good, with lots going on for you to try and remember, yet the ending leaves it a little confusing as to what was going on. I suppose the designers did that so it would lead on to Evil Within 2.

There were many a time, when id thrown my controller in frustration with the controls, those moments being when attempting to unlock a trap, your edging foreward and in doing so, due to the controls you set off the trap. Plus in combat i was always finding i was turning on the inventory menu with my right stick.

The monsters were interesting, with plenty of variety with different boss's to deal with, yet the ending battle was tedious in the extreme.

So

1. ****ty Controls
    2. Not scary in the slightest
    3.Ending / Boss Fight

Overall a 7

Get this game if this is really your thing.
  2. Dec 23, 2014
    Honestly giving this game a 5 is being nice. I knew to not have high expectations for this game even though I so badly wanted it to be good. My first impression was OK fine it has a Resident Evil 5 feel to it, which is not a bad thing by any means. The original gore at the beginning was cool and started to give me some hope for a good game.

Then I started to realize the game

Then I started to realize the game play/controls. After gathering a gun, some matches, and pills I started to realize how bad accessing your inventor is. The gun control is horrific, the zombies or monsters are just plain redonkulous. I tried beating them with my hands, fail, then a torch, worked if hitting them was actually hitting them. I swing what looks like a foot away and they catch fire yet when I actually hit them it's a miss. Then the visuals, oh lord the visual controls was again horrific. Needless to say I'm being nice giving this a 5 and strongly do not recommend this game to anybody.
  3. Oct 28, 2014
    As a now huge horror game fan, I was excited for The Evil Within. However, after playing an hour, I found it unplayable. Maybe because I never played the so-called classic horrors like the Silent Hill or Resident Evil games, I feel less nostalgia playing this.

The biggest and most noticeable issue with this game, is the irremovable, big, black bars covering most of the screen. The bars, and the fact it is in third person with an annoying camera, meant I was constantly squinting to try and see anything. The game is grainy and has a good atmosphere, yet these issues are so distracting I was in no way immersed or tense. There is no build up to allow any tension either. It lead to an hour of boredom and no fear.

Also, the protagonist is dull, and so are the characters seen so far. The gameplay is slow, and hardly feels smooth.

I recently finished Alien: Isolation, and although it's difficult to compare due to them have such different horror themes, but Alien: Isolation came out within a fortnight of this, yet is graphically much more impressive and immersive.

I realise that I cannot comment a lot of the aspects of this game, with not playing too much of it. But, the aspects I can comment on leave little for me to be positive about.
  4. Nov 15, 2014
    Quick Review
    Atmosphere: 7/10 (if you're scared by gore, this game is for you)
    Game Play Mechanics: 8.5/10 Replay value: low Overall Rating: trying to figure out the story scared me more than the game. The Evil Within is a game that makes me question a lot of things. The first thing being "how can a game be so scary at the beginning and become so plain near then end?", and the
    Quick Review
    Atmosphere: 7/10 (if you're scared by gore, this game is for you)
    Game Play Mechanics: 8.5/10
    Replay value: low
    Overall Rating: trying to figure out the story scared me more than the game.

The Evil Within is a game that makes me question a lot of things. The first thing being "how can a game be so scary at the beginning and become so plain near then end?", and the second being "what the hell is up with this story?!" In the beginning of the game, I was constantly on edge. I could feel the definite Resident Evil vibes, along with vibes of amazing survival horrors games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I spent a lit of time stalking around and wondering what the heck I was getting myself into next. This feeling of fear died for me when I was about 2/3's of the way into the game. I stopped being scared, and was stuck just trying to figure what the hell was going on around me. Which, usually is great in a game, but I did not enjoy it in this game. It became just another shooter for me at the end. Game play mechanics are smooth, my favorite part being stealth kills. All I can say without giving anything away is that the game is at least worth playing once through, though I see little replay value in it. It did give me an adrenaline rush a few times, so if you dig that, give it a shot.
  5. Oct 16, 2014
    Let me start by saying that I am a completionist; I try to explore entire maps and stories besides just the run of the mill speed run like some folks on here. I will admit that I was excited to play this game beforehand as I personally love the survival genre and I was really into Resident Evil 4. That being said I am thoroughly enjoying my experience in the game.

I am playing on the

I am playing on the medium difficulty and the gameplay is tough at times, but not impossible -- very realistic in that there are many scenarios that can be used to kill the enemies and given if you were in this situation you there would probably be numerous deaths involved. Not to mention that the deaths can be extremely brutal in a Mortal Kombat fatality kind of way -- which I find amusing.

The story itself may not be completely compelling, but it is definitely strong enough to carry the game. The graphics seem good enough for me with the highlight being the 3 person character that you control. At first I was puzzled as to why there were black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, but I was completely used to them through the third chapter (of 14 mind you). In actually, they make things a bit more tense as you cannot as easily look over things you may be hiding behind and overall it causes you to value the field of vision that you do have.

Gameplay is fun. If you like Resident Evil games like RE4 then you are in for a treat. It is pretty standard for the survival genre, where you cannot zoom with a weapon and run at the same time and the mechanics may be a bit slow, but it causes the game to be more realistic and difficult in my option.

The pace of the game is great -- I have had the game for two days now, playing a ton within that time and I am barely half way through the story. Again, I am a completionist so I try to explore it all and find all of the collectables to which reward you with various items.

In all, the game is solid despite what some others are saying. If you enjoy the genre I feel like it is a must own.
  6. Oct 14, 2014
    So far I'm about to finish chapter 5 and the game is great! However it's not at all what I originally thought, but it is still an amazing game (hence the 10 rating).

First off, it so much like Resident Evil 4 and it's great. I personally loved Resident Evil 4, but didn't like the two latest entries. With it's close quarters, sparse ammo, and dangerous enemies, it can really make for some heart pounding moments and genuine fear as you are trying to evade or dodge certain enemies.

One thing that may irk some people, are the unforgiving saves. There are some locations I've encountered where death can result in having to replay several minutes, in one case 15 minutes was lost, due to unforgiving checkpoints. I personally like this feature, as it makes general fights and the feeling of dread much higher, as there are high risks for death. While it isn't too frequent that this happens, those moments that it does can really drive you nuts.

The story here is absent, or sometimes cringe-worthy, but that's okay. I personally love a great story in a game, but after coming from Destiny, this at least makes an effort. While the story isn't great, the gameplay and tension really make up for it, and a lot of the story content can be picked up from side intel and collectibles, making it vital to read this information. Some people may not like this as well, but I find it a great way to slow the pace of the game.

Lastly, the graphics here are very good in my opinion. I see several people complaining about such miniscule things, or comparing it to "x" game, but I don't see why. This game may not be the "greatest game ever" in terms of graphics, but it definitely masters the atmosphere, lighting, and fog within the game and the graphics work great for what it is.

If you are a fan of survival horror, high difficulty, survival, and tension-filled moments, this game is for you. If you don't like having to conserve ammo, difficult games, sneaking around, and the way older survival horror games were played, this definitely isn't the game for you.
  7. Oct 17, 2014
    The Evil Within is a varied, deep, challenging and long game. Shinji Mikami and Tango Gameworks scare us, they mix puzzles and third person shooting in a reborn survival horror that is visually poor. The Keeper, the Alpha mastodon and other ugly deformed will make you have nightmares.
  8. Oct 15, 2014
    I have played until chapter 10 so far, and one thing I can say, I died a hundred times and the bosses are so creppy. It is the best survivor horror from the past and currently generation.
  9. Jan 28, 2015
    I was forcing myself through chapter 10 when I realized something. I wasn't having fun. I wanted to, but couldn't. The survival horror turned arena action adventure was a shock. Now I did get a few legitimate jump scares which was cool. But the atrocious frame rates combined with clunky shooting spoiled the whole game. And the story is extremely confusing.
  10. Oct 17, 2014
  11. Oct 17, 2014
    Ok, so I have to have my say on this one as The Evil Within has had some negative reviews, one for example was from a guy who played it twice??

So, for me this game is a very strong title that gamers have been waiting for, for what seems like an eternity. The last survival game that was this good was Resident Evil 4, which obviously was the aim, along with creepiness of Silent Hill, this title gives you everything you could wish for in a Zombie environment. So what is not to like?

The Evil Within takes no mercy on poor gamers, it has you valuing your life as death literally lurks around every corner, it has scenes of graphic content, the ominous tones add to the feel of dread. On top of this, you aren't some super human who can hide behind a rock to recover full life (like most games include now) and save points aren't granted to you every 5 seconds. Ammo is in short supply but you do have the ability to fashion arrows etc. Surely this is what we all want! Games have become too easy to complete these days and you rarely to never feel connected to the main character. The Evil Within is HARD and it wont carry useless gamers to the end. You have to get a grip and fight for your freedom and more importantly your life. I am only on chapter 4 at the moment, I have died a hand-full of times but it makes me love the game that bit more as a result. Finally a challenge worthy of a £50 price tag.

For real gamers who like being challenged, this is for you.
    For everyone else, there is Minecraft, COD and Watchdogs :)
  12. Oct 15, 2014
    The game has ingredients for various games, making it more dynamic, graphically well done in the effects, lighting and characters, the gameplay is somewhat awkward, and the camera does not help in some occasions, but this is generally decent.

Moments of patience will make you suffer and to some extent they'll despair, which is an object that manages the game well. Overall, a highly

Overall, a highly recommended game that nobody should miss to try. Especially in this Halloween season.
  13. Oct 14, 2014
    I've only had time to play this game for about 2 hours, but I got to say, I really like it. The graphics are incredible, and the gore is perfect for this time of year. I give it an 8, but i'd rather give it 7.5.

Why? The controls are horrible. Not intuitive at all. Doesn't follow what any other game has done. To crouch/sneak, hold down the right bumper. To pick up an item, press A. To access your inventory press down on the right analog stick. Every other game you press one of the menu keys. The only keys that work as expected are the game menu, and the trigger buttons. Very poor. Even worse, I felt like I was playing last year's tomb raider. There is a scene early in the game that is almost identical to Tomb Raider.

While the graphics are incredible, I have to question why they'd do a letter box. I get it, that it gives a more cinematic experience. But really, who doesn't have their console hooked up to a wide screen tv? It's really just wasted space and is really annoying.

Also, there is no honeymoon period in this game. The first chapter does little to really tell you how to play the game. It's difficult to determine what you can interact with. And it's not as open as I would hope for a 4th gen game. The save option is horrible. How they heck do they expect someone to realize you have to stare in to a mirror to access the save? And, the whole save process is way too drawn out. Alien Isolation had a much better save system.

With that said, the game is gory. The ambience is perfect. I can't say much about the voice acting, nor the actual story line yet. But so far, I love this game. I highly recommend it to anyone who has an Xbox One or planning to get one for Christmas.
  14. Oct 17, 2014
    The Evil Within will give survival horror purists a rare contemporary pleasure fix. But be warned: if you prize smooth, silky action above all else, it will drive you insane.
  15. Oct 14, 2014
    its a good time for the AAA survival horror genre. terrifying ambience, really tough gameplay (in the Dark Souls style of natural difficulty, not scripted trial-and-error), and the graphics are also pretty good. horror or not, Shinji Mikami's games are always a blast to play through, and this is no exception
  16. Oct 15, 2014
    I was very sceptical about this game, given it's release day embargo and the fact that it was brought forward in the UK to match that embargo. After playing it, all those fears went away, from the offset you can tell this is a Shinji Mikami game. Most of the reviews I've read said that this is the game that Resident Evil 5 should have been and I totally agree, it's survival horror at it'sI was very sceptical about this game, given it's release day embargo and the fact that it was brought forward in the UK to match that embargo. After playing it, all those fears went away, from the offset you can tell this is a Shinji Mikami game. Most of the reviews I've read said that this is the game that Resident Evil 5 should have been and I totally agree, it's survival horror at it's finest. If you enjoyed Resi 4, you'll love this game.

Good points - Superb gunplay, very atmospheric, vast choice of upgradable abilities.
    Bad points - Lack luster story, poor graphics (for next gen standards), can be very unforgiving.

Overall 8/10.
  17. Oct 17, 2014
    This isnt a game for those that want their hands held or want a story spoon fed throughout the game, this is a game purely for the hard-core Survival Horror fans that want an old school experience on modern platforms, gamers that are willing to look beyond what’s being shown in front of them to read the between the lines, discover the side notes and find the collectables to gain insightThis isnt a game for those that want their hands held or want a story spoon fed throughout the game, this is a game purely for the hard-core Survival Horror fans that want an old school experience on modern platforms, gamers that are willing to look beyond what’s being shown in front of them to read the between the lines, discover the side notes and find the collectables to gain insight into whats happening without it being blurted out , this is a game for those who love psychological thrillers and who aren’t afraid to get lost in what can only be described as an lucid nightmare.

The only reason this game is getting flax is because its misunderstood by gamers and reviewers that are too lazy to actually read between the lines or draw their own conclusions on its story these people are dragging this game down mainly because they saw the Bethesda Logo and thought it was comparable to everything else they make and they are exactly whats wrong with this industry, if this game released as an indie title it would have been heralded as the second coming and put on the highest pedestal possible but since it didn’t this game can’t be called art and can’t have a non-conventional storyline like the show Twin Peaks which clearly inspired this.

If you're a "Gamer" that isn’t scared of finding a narrative rather than it being shoved down your throat or can deal with complex situations that involve more that "Oh shoot that" and want to actually be challenged by an old school Survival Horror game then this is for you, otherwise stick to cod/bf or some other linier experience and stop muddying the waters of an already wounded genre.
  18. Oct 20, 2014
    The Evil Within was a good game. Made by the original Resident Evil creators, it had that good feeling to it. The gameplay was amazing and the story was good too. Overall, it felt like a movie. But this time, it was a good thing. I liked the constant cinematic feel. The bad part of it was having those black bars on the top and bottom that made the screen feel small. Besides that, it was good!
  19. Oct 20, 2014
    Love it.
    Even if you're not easily scared or you've played many games like this before, it still has something that will get you.
    What this game nails the most, is its feel of claustrophobia. You will walk in a room where something will be chasing you with barely any room to move. You just have to think quick, and know what you're doing. This is evidently a trial and error game, but in
    Love it.
    What this game nails the most, is its feel of claustrophobia.
    You will walk in a room where something will be chasing you with barely any room to move. You just have to think quick, and know what you're doing. This is evidently a trial and error game, but in my case its trial and error, then more error. I think I've died at just about every trap.
    I recommend for people who want the maximum experience to play the survival difficulty.
    Ammo conservation is scarce, timing has to be nearly exact (a bit of room for error) but most of all, make sure you know when to use the gun. I guess this falls into ammo conservation but every shot you miss on your target, it really makes you regret the shot when you could have approached it in another way.

Pros
    + Brilliant lighting effects - really fits the genre of horror and makes you feel that you're in a terrifying situation
    + Music - those gramophones play music that can soothe the soul for a little while. Consider those as your safe zones so you can rest (other times they are just creepy)
    + Upgrades - Just like Resident Evil 4, there are so many. Whether its upgrading abilities, weapons or inventory, you need to know what to upgrade depending on what is infront of you, along with what will benefit you throughout the game
    + Environments - Just about flawless in its variety. No room looks the same.
    + Noir film grain - Really sets a vintage horror flick setting. Adds to it 100%

Cons
    - Graphics - Personally, I don't really see them next gen, but at the same time they don't look horrible. All of the lighting and filters make up for it.
    - Dialogue/Voice Acting - not great, but at the same time they are confused like the player would be so it shouldn't be in depth. Its just a bit vague

Mutual
    +- Physical Combat - There is only punching and hitting with weapons. You cant do any action commands unfortunately, yet not having this gives it a feel of desperation to survive. You're meant to be in danger.

Overall I highly recommend to anyone who is a fan of survival horror. You may not get terrified, but they fit it to how they wanted it to be. Shinji Mikami proves to a lot of us that these type of games still exist strong and there is still a passion in the gaming industry.

20. Oct 20, 2014
    The Evil Within is a stunning return to form for the father of the survival horror genre.

I have yet to finish the full game but have completed 12 of the 15 chapters so I feel I have seen more then enough to give a verdict. I will start by saying that the sense of atmosphere this game cultivates is excellent, the level design is brilliant and really does a great job of displaying a

I will start by saying that the sense of atmosphere this game cultivates is excellent, the level design is brilliant and really does a great job of displaying a sense of decay and the feeling that you are traversing enviroments that have been left to rot.

The camera is locked in tight to the player and deliberatly does not give you a great view of the surrondings which adds to the sense of not being fully in controll.

the graphics whilst not groundbreaking are genrally very solid and the lighting engine in particular is excellent and does a great job of creating an atmosphere of fear.

The enemy design is excellent and the overall design of the game is solid, the evil within harkens back to oldschool surival horror. the controlls do not give you as much freedom as a typical third person shooter would and help to make you feel vunerable and human.

One issue the genre has had in the past is that if you make the player to powerfull you lose any sense of fear or mearly survining.

The evil within does a great job of straddiling th line between pwer and terror , fear and fun if you will.

you never feel overpowered but you also have a fair chance to survive, this game is tough but fair.

I can see why people not used to the the genre woukld think the controlls where bad but I really feel that they where designed that way.

Nothing kills tension like being to powerfull and everything being to easy (cough resi 5 and 6 cough cough cough ).

overall I have loved every second of his game!! the boss design in particular is excellent.

The story is pretty good and does a good job of **** with your head and keeping you off balance.

overall this is a fun game that is challenging and and tense it plays like a cross between resi 4 and silent hill 2 and seeing as they are my two favorite examples of the genre thats no bad thing.

Overall I give this game a 9 out of ten, if you are a fan of the genre and in particular silent hill or resient evil (1 to4) then you are doing yourself a disservce by not buying this.

if you are new to the genre then I would suggest renting this first to make sure it is really for you.
  21. Oct 15, 2014
    Best survival horror game, since Resident Evil 4. It was a long 10 years. Atmosphere, music, gameplay, pace, really good. Beat it in 18 hours. And wanna play it again and again.
  22. Oct 29, 2014
    This is Shinji Mikami's return to the video game world. It's a decent 3rd person horror game that takes more than a few queue's from RE4. It focuses mostly on the horror aspect of the game, a departure from what the RE series has become, but a terrible cast and a tedious story that doesn't ever really seem to go anywhere hold this back from being a true horror classic.
    The main positive
    The main positive is the horror aspects of the game. There's lots to see in that regard here and there's some original ideas here that made me applaud them after seeing it. As a horror game, it really delivers and all horror buffs will enjoy it quite alot. The gameplay is good too but that was to be expected as pretty much the entire combat system is based off of RE 4 and 5. That's definitely a good thing and definitely makes trudging through some of the more tedious aspects of the game bearable.
    The main cons of the game definitely have to do with the story and the characters. The story never really goes anywhere. It sets up a decent starting point but never really explains what's going on or how things happen. There are short bits and pieces here and there but nothing is really explained. It seems they set up for a sequel but I'm not entirely sure. The characters aren't any better as the main character is about a dry and stupid as you can get. He basically has his goal explained in full detail and it takes him 3 more chapters and another character explaining it to him before he figures out what he's supposed to do. He comes across as forgettable and laughable. The characters around him don't do much either and the boss is nothing special. It's a very forgettable story and cast and I don't personally feel like they deserve another game.
    There are other things about this game that are a problem too. Noticeable lag and frame rate issues were quite prevalent throughout my entire play through. The fact that the game expects you to know certain things about how to interact with the environment was also a problem. There are times where it can be impossible to know what you can and can't interact with as most boxes look the same. The game is very frustrating at times and you will die ALOT in this game because of stupid stuff. It would be one thing if you died cause you were learning a boss, which does happen. But there are times when you die cause the camera doesn't move quick enough or won't let you pick up an item you need. It can be very frustrating.
    In the end, this could have been a really good game but it is held back by a ton of things. The horror elements were good and original but most everything else was not. Toward the end of this 15 hour plus game, I started to feel like I just needed to beat the game. Not cause I wanted too but because I had put the time in and I needed the pay off. When things get to that point, you know the game you are playing is nowhere near where it should be, especially coming from such a reputable horror legend.
  23. Oct 16, 2014
    The Evil Within was a game I purchased to experience for myself, not as some flimsy gift to quietly break down a loved one's psyche. No, this one was for me. So, fortunately, the game had finished installing just as I had finished lathering myself in lamb's blood (which is really nice, highly recommended) as a part of my pre-game ritual (this practice wasn't unique to this game, ratherThe Evil Within was a game I purchased to experience for myself, not as some flimsy gift to quietly break down a loved one's psyche. No, this one was for me. So, fortunately, the game had finished installing just as I had finished lathering myself in lamb's blood (which is really nice, highly recommended) as a part of my pre-game ritual (this practice wasn't unique to this game, rather it's a common practice for me; although, honestly, I felt rather silly doing this before playing Katamari Forever [silly prior to playing, wonderful during, just to clarify]). The game booted up (I play exclusively through a custom DOS program I designed whilst experiencing some crazed fever-dream brought on by the consumption of massive amounts of LSD and candy corn), I typed in the appropriate command prompts, and BOOM! My house exploded. Highly unfortunate. So, suffice to say, I've never played this. My family's dead, the house is gone, and my sweet, sweet X1/DOS setup is now nothing more than ashen stardust. Oh well. I still have my health (except for this accursed black lung), and my fleet of gold... Hmm... I can't seem to remember what I have a fleet of... You'd think I would since they're all plated in gold... Isn't that funny when that happens? When you can't recall the specific thing of which you have a gold-plated fleet? I slap my knee when that happens. I'll have to update my review when I remember. Anyway, who says you can't judge something, for better or worse, without ever actually having any experience with it (well, except the installation process... that counts, right?). So, the graphics. They were good. There was a bar that slowly but surely became solid green. Well-executed. There wasn't much of a story. I mean, where did this bar come from, what was it's purpose, it's drive? There was no character development, and the characterization was flat (it did, however, manage to make me smile more than once). The sound was non-existent. Honestly, I had to make my own soundtrack (a mixture of whale-calls and modernized Victorian-era smooth jazz-funk) just to fill the air with something other than the screams of my loved ones (there was a fire, I believe I mentioned that). The gameplay was a simple button mashing affair (as with most games I play, I jam the controller into my groin as hard as I can until I've either fractured my pelvic bone or achieved a milk shake [family joke, RIP]). Enjoyable, but repetitive (I mean seriously, when are developers going to truly innovate and stop making games that encourage me to abuse myself sexually? I mean, come on guys, there's more to games than just violence. Look at the Wii! So much innovation there, I'm almost embarrassed to admit the things those guys got me to do). Finally, the "X-Factor." This is something I like to put in my reviews to separate it from all the others. Just a little something I feel the uninitiated or unobservant (no offense) might not notice but deserves attention and appreciation. For The Evil Within, the "X-Factor" has to be the fact that it memorializes the death of my utterly vast family. I don't know if everyone will have the same experience I did (especially if you play it on the easier difficulty setting), but it's definitely worth mentioning. Anyway, just because I don't want to be a total tool, I have actually played this game (dropped character, whatever, it deserves a fair shake). It's good. Review, done. Family alive... BUT FOR HOW LONG!?! A while, probably. Stop reading. Expand
  24. Oct 17, 2014
    My First Ever Game review; so here goes.
    My First Ever Game review; so here goes.
    I have been waiting for this game for many months now, watched all the trailers, the reviews and interviews, even went to the Game lock in to play the game early. Even though im only 3 chapters in iv gotta say its a brilliant game, really brings something back to the market that hasn't been seen in a while since resi 4 for horror survival games, it always has me on the edge and even when you no something is going to happen you still end up jumping half a mile.

Pros so far;
    - Great game, does exactly what it says on the tin, survive while trying not to jump to far.
    - Great use of light and sound effects adds to the mood.
    - Puzzles get your brain ticking.
    - Gore Gore and more Gore

Cons so far;
    - Camera angle can become a bit annoying, it kind of restricts your view.
    - GRAPHICS! the one thing that has let this game down Slightly, yes the cut scenes are amazing, but in game its a bit poor (n).
    - AI although at times can be good, can also be very predictive and if you watch the route enough you know when to go in for the kill.

Overall I have given it an 9 out of 10, Great game so far and cant wait to play more of it a delve deeper into the story the puzzles and the horror. Only reason if have marked it down is due to the camera angle as it impacts on the gameplay. Other than that finally a survival horror thats bought something to the table.
  25. Oct 27, 2014
    This game is a mind-trip! Thats the only thing I can think of to say when someone asks me about the game. It takes you to so many different places and your never sure of where your going. It really is a must-play for any fan of the survival horror genre!
  26. Oct 14, 2014
    Evil Within grafts Resident Evil 4's gold standard survival action to a far less forgiving world. That it even comes close to matching Capcom's masterpiece is cause to celebrate. And sweat. And quiver.
  27. Oct 14, 2014
    What is it now a days were everyone's expectations are so high? If people don't feel like a game is GOTY they write a bad review...it's honestly sad for the gaming community. There is no reason this game deserves below a 9. I got this game midnight release and have played 4.5 hours so far and I have to say it was worth every penny.

Graphics-10 Gameplay-8.5 Characters-8 Story-8.5

Graphics-10
    Gameplay-8.5
    Characters-8
    Story-8.5
    Thrilling-9.5
  28. Oct 14, 2014
    Horror fans shouldn’t let the disappointing story deter them one bit, however. Few Paranormal Activity fans care how these malevolent demons come back again and again – what truly matters is that the audience’s nerves are frayed until they’re raw.
  29. Oct 15, 2014
    Simply outstanding in every single way. Tense, horrific, survival horror in detailed and gorgeous environments. Mikami has delivered the best survival horror game of its kind in recent memory.
  30. Dec 2, 2014
    What I see here is a lot of people givin a negative review because the "game is hard", "the ammunition is not enough", the boss is mutch stronger them the player.
    Well, go play Call of Duty. This is a HORROR GAME. you must fear the enemies, you must run when you have the chance. This is not the best Horror game ever but it's a good one.
  31. Oct 19, 2014
    Done. 12:31:45 with 56 deaths. Despite it's shortcomings, this is one of my favourite Mikami games. But Chapter 15 is so anti-climatic. As a set-piece, it's awesome and exciting, but as an actual boss fight it's terrible. It's like they couldn't figure out a way for you to properly fight it, so they said **** it" and just threw it out. And then there's no memorable dialogue or exchangeDone. 12:31:45 with 56 deaths. Despite it's shortcomings, this is one of my favourite Mikami games. But Chapter 15 is so anti-climatic. As a set-piece, it's awesome and exciting, but as an actual boss fight it's terrible. It's like they couldn't figure out a way for you to properly fight it, so they said **** it" and just threw it out. And then there's no memorable dialogue or exchange between Ruvik and Sebastian which is wasted potential.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised by the story. It's deeper than I thought it would be, and it clicks nicely.

All in all, 9 or so/10 for me. My gripes are mainly on the tech side, which I have a feeling is due to id Tech 5 and them not knowing what to do with it. In many ways it surpasses RE4, and in some ways it also falls short. But The Evil Within is better than RE4 in my eyes. That may change in subsequent playthroughs, but I love the creative effort put into this game.
  32. Oct 27, 2014
    While the game could have been better story and character wise I found I had a lot of fun and kept coming back to it. My only issues were that disarming traps could be difficult due to sensitive controls and some chapters dragged a little and after fighting 2 bosses I was expecting a break not another long slog. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game.
  33. Jan 27, 2015
    worst Survive game in history gamers if you want at lest a great survive game play outlast or Alien Isolation there you will **** your pants no bull****
  34. Nov 2, 2014
    This game has good graphics and good controls there are some cheap deaths and no clear instructions on how to get through the puzzles, at first the bosses are over powering but as you progress the game gets easier not harder, I had plenty of bullets throughout the game not to bad of a game to pass ur time especially since there is a lack of games for the Xbox one
  35. Oct 25, 2014
    after beat this game with high hope for the evil within, but with that came little problem frame rate is a little chugged and there the bad thing so on to the good well it really fun i found my self needing more after what the game had to offer and even when i was the story was good and the true terror coming from the game or me in my own head. if your looken for a good game for Halloweenafter beat this game with high hope for the evil within, but with that came little problem frame rate is a little chugged and there the bad thing so on to the good well it really fun i found my self needing more after what the game had to offer and even when i was the story was good and the true terror coming from the game or me in my own head. if your looken for a good game for Halloween pick up evil with n Expand
  36. Dec 13, 2014
    The best game of the year in my opinion . The story is awesome and the game is very challenger!!

If you like challenges you need buy this game, some times the difficult is annoying but whe you can overcome you feel a great pleasure. Play and you will receive sensations of agony and praise.
  37. Dec 15, 2014
    Mikami delivered. The Evil Within blends tension from death in every corner and lack of ammo from the first Resident Evil games with the bizarre only found in Silent Hill, all poured in a skull that yet has some bits of brains in it. It is a must-play for any fan of this genre that not so recently has found itself plagued for trying to copycat Gears of War instead of creating a trulyMikami delivered. The Evil Within blends tension from death in every corner and lack of ammo from the first Resident Evil games with the bizarre only found in Silent Hill, all poured in a skull that yet has some bits of brains in it. It is a must-play for any fan of this genre that not so recently has found itself plagued for trying to copycat Gears of War instead of creating a truly macabre experience. Despite I was only scared once throughout the whole game, I'm not the couch-jumping type, but the almost 20h of teeth grinding will probably send me to the dentinst. If I was asked to define this game in one word, that word would be tension. The only drawback are the graphical problems, namely textures loading long after the scene. It's annoying at first but by the end of the game, I had completely forgotten about it and it just flew by unnoticed. Expand
  38. Oct 21, 2014
    Finally we have some life in the horror genre for games. This game is pretty solid visually and the gore factor is great. It certainly leaves you on the edge of your seat while playing. It's been a long time since I've played a game like this and I tip my hat to Bethesda.
  39. Oct 17, 2014
    The Evil Within is a survival horror game and it does that **** amazing the game isn't perfect so I don't think it deserves a 10, but this game is giving people that survival horror that everybody has been asking for and that is all I can ask for. An easy 9 out of 10.
  40. Oct 19, 2014
    This game is a solid Survival Horror game, It's scary because the enemies are tough and you cant always just shoot them, Your ammo is always low and i never have full health, The controls take getting used to but once you are used to them the game is loads of fun and will keep you on your feet because you need to be careful with your ammo sometimes you may just need to run. I love theThis game is a solid Survival Horror game, It's scary because the enemies are tough and you cant always just shoot them, Your ammo is always low and i never have full health, The controls take getting used to but once you are used to them the game is loads of fun and will keep you on your feet because you need to be careful with your ammo sometimes you may just need to run. I love the possibility of always being with no ammo it adds to the Survival part. Great Solid game. Expand
  41. Oct 19, 2014
    This game is everything an old-school survival horror game than capcom have forget in the past, . For those who clamour for the Resident Evil games of old, Mikami-san has delivered a personal love letter; for those who don’t, you’ll likely lament its lack of new ideas and sometimes archaic design choices. For me personally, it’s a gripping adventure that any self-respecting horror fanThis game is everything an old-school survival horror game than capcom have forget in the past, . For those who clamour for the Resident Evil games of old, Mikami-san has delivered a personal love letter; for those who don’t, you’ll likely lament its lack of new ideas and sometimes archaic design choices. For me personally, it’s a gripping adventure that any self-respecting horror fan should snap up, and an authentic return to survival horror after too long an absence. So forget garbage games like resident evil 6 and will buy Evil within right now. Expand
  42. Jan 31, 2015
    The evil within starts out slow in telling its story but it does pick up in the second half. The story is intriguing, but the main character is dull. The Combat system is very well done, so is the gathering system. The difficulty levels are very hard though, even the "casual" difficulty setting will have you quoting the game from frustration. But overall its one of the best games i haveThe evil within starts out slow in telling its story but it does pick up in the second half. The story is intriguing, but the main character is dull. The Combat system is very well done, so is the gathering system. The difficulty levels are very hard though, even the "casual" difficulty setting will have you quoting the game from frustration. But overall its one of the best games i have played in 2014, and i would highly recommend it. Expand
  43. Nov 11, 2014
    Le dernier né de l'esprit torturé Shinji Mikami arrive à se créer une identité et se présente comme un retour aux sources en matière de survival-horror. Nous sommes servis par une direction artistique glauque, propice aux cauchemars, qui offre son lot de rebondissements. On retiendra sans conteste sa durée de vie, sa possibilité de refaire le jeu avec un challenge accru et de nombreusesLe dernier né de l'esprit torturé Shinji Mikami arrive à se créer une identité et se présente comme un retour aux sources en matière de survival-horror. Nous sommes servis par une direction artistique glauque, propice aux cauchemars, qui offre son lot de rebondissements. On retiendra sans conteste sa durée de vie, sa possibilité de refaire le jeu avec un challenge accru et de nombreuses références. Sans oublier quelques easter-eggs qui vous renverront vers Resident Evil. The Evil Within a pourtant quelques faiblesses et bugs (qui partiront vite via les mises à jour), mais cela ne casse en rien l'expérience de jeu. C'est dit, en achetant The Evil Within, pensez à acheter quelques caleçons en plus...

44. Jan 28, 2015
    HONEST Opinion.. I had a BLAST with this game! The atmosphere is simply amazing for any game. The controls are ok, the voice acting is terrible, the stamina bar sucks a crap ton, the game isnt that scary but some how i loved it so much lol.

this is like the last of us' little weaker in every way brother with boss battles and sick in the head animations. WHICH IS GREAT!
  45. Nov 16, 2014
    This game would be alot **** better if they didn't have those BLACK BARS!
    The gameplay is really good and I really like the game but those black bars look stupid when
    playing on a monitor.
  46. Nov 26, 2014
    Finally, a horror game that has beautiful art, story and mechanics that flow together with perfection. HA HA HA Just Kidding! I could not have been more disappointed with this game. From a fan of the FEAR series, I was hoping to jump from my chair a few times but I was constantly let down by the incredibly weak story and flow of the game. There are quite a few points in the game whereFinally, a horror game that has beautiful art, story and mechanics that flow together with perfection. HA HA HA Just Kidding! I could not have been more disappointed with this game. From a fan of the FEAR series, I was hoping to jump from my chair a few times but I was constantly let down by the incredibly weak story and flow of the game. There are quite a few points in the game where you are trying to upgrade your character with your green ooze you collect throughout the game, let me be the first to ruin that surprise for you, your character and his weapons are almost identical in strength and delivery from beginning to end. If you are contemplating quitting the game because you are finding it boring, please do!, it does not get any better!! Expand
  47. Dec 9, 2014
    The Evil Within is what you get when you take Resident Evil 4 and put a heavy push on stealth based in a world that seems along the lines of Inception. This game takes a lot of great elements from other amazing games (horror and action elements) and puts them together in a good way but based in a world with kind of a weak story. Maybe weak is a harsh word, but the story is slow to start.The Evil Within is what you get when you take Resident Evil 4 and put a heavy push on stealth based in a world that seems along the lines of Inception. This game takes a lot of great elements from other amazing games (horror and action elements) and puts them together in a good way but based in a world with kind of a weak story. Maybe weak is a harsh word, but the story is slow to start. It seems that a lot of people give up on this game early, but it's not until the 4th or 5th chapter that the story reaches that point where you find yourself unable to put the controller down. The crafting system is pretty neat; it almost feels like something out of Fallout or RAGE where you have to find so many parts from enemy items that you dismantle throughout levels, but it is nice in the way that it will reward those you take their time to find these things to be able to built heavier hitting ammo and such. The aspect ratio of the entire game is annoying until you realize that the screen is shrunken like that to create a feeling of claustrophobia that does at times have you leaning from side to side on your couch like it going to help you see whats around that corner. The combat system really could use some cleaning up; they do keep ammo limited (in the harder modes) so you have to rely on hand to hand combat on those you don't sneak up on, but it just seems so slow and blocky when you try to play fisticuffs with a baddie. The weapons system does do well and firing guns feel realistic to the point where you will be yelling for that shotgun to reload faster. The player progression and upgrade system is a nice touch too, rewarding character attributes (like health, run distance, ect.) or can use your points towards giving your weapons a little more punch. In all, The Evil Within is a very enjoyable game but it just takes getting past the slow (and mildly confusing) start. Hardcore horror fans will see the plot as being pretty weak and predictable but those who are new to the genre will enjoy the jumps, twists and gore this game has to offer. The main reason I am giving this game a slightly lower rating is because of the fact that it really does pull a lot of things straight from Resident Evil series, which the 4th might be one of the best horror games of all time, but the predictable plot and sluggish combat system makes it hard to hold it anywhere close to Resident Evil, which it is trying hardly to be with the same 'burning dead bodies or the come back' aspect and even an appearance from a chainsaw wielding fellow with a bag on his head. Expand
  48. Dec 3, 2014
    First off, this is an excellent game! I highly recommend it if you are a fan of survival horror games. Having said that , this game is very hard and cruel.
    For the first three chapters I had no idea what was going on but I am glad i persevered because every chapter after that got better and better (and yes harder and nastier).
    I played thru the first 14 chapters (out of 15) on Survival
    I played thru the first 14 chapters (out of 15) on Survival which is the default difficulty but at the very end of chap 14 i didn’t have what i needed to take out the boss so I started that level over again and switched to Casual just to check it out and honestly I didn’t see any difference, maybe there were one or two more bullets in a box but even so, the experience was very much the same as Survival (there were certainly no fewer enemies).
    The last chapter, 15, was the best, definitely plow through and finish the last chapter it was lighter and lots of fun, still wicked hard though!

If you loved Resident Evil, or Resident Evil Zero you will love this game it is very well designed, the difficulty for the most part is well balanced, and it was a lot of fun. It took me about 40 hrs to complete the game. Well worth the price of admission.

As with any game YMMV.
  49. Dec 24, 2014
    The Evil Within is an old-school survival horror game that has it roots deeply seeded in the Silent Hills and Resident Evils that came before it. The game is rewarding as it is punishing. Only playing on regular difficulty, I was still murdered mercilessly hundreds of times through my journey with the game. At times, the difficulty can be a little frustrating especially when you have toThe Evil Within is an old-school survival horror game that has it roots deeply seeded in the Silent Hills and Resident Evils that came before it. The game is rewarding as it is punishing. Only playing on regular difficulty, I was still murdered mercilessly hundreds of times through my journey with the game. At times, the difficulty can be a little frustrating especially when you have to repeatedly trudge through the same 10-15 minute segment of death. All difficulty aside, the game does deliver on atmosphere and horror. The game's creator is the mastermind behind the Resident Evil so you can expect a level of polish and creativity that you would usually not expect from other games of the same genre. This game is a must for survival horror fans. Expand
  50. Jan 7, 2015
    This game is a masterpiece of horror survival. Unlike other survival games, this one doesn't hold your hand along the and leaves you in the dark to figure out the puzzles yourself. It also doesn't scare you using jump scares all the time, it uses the atmosphere to create the feeling of fear with only a couple jumps cares here and there. Overall this is a brilliant game that easily fitsThis game is a masterpiece of horror survival. Unlike other survival games, this one doesn't hold your hand along the and leaves you in the dark to figure out the puzzles yourself. It also doesn't scare you using jump scares all the time, it uses the atmosphere to create the feeling of fear with only a couple jumps cares here and there. Overall this is a brilliant game that easily fits into my top 25 games of all time. Definitely give a buy, you wont regret it. Expand
  51. Jan 18, 2015
    The evil within is one of the best horror games to come out in awhile. The scares are there when they need to be, as the environment helps carry the horror in this game. Some of the transitions from area to area are done really well. The combat is sound and enjoyable, although at times it can feel clunky when there are many enemies present and alert. I went into this game knowing it wasThe evil within is one of the best horror games to come out in awhile. The scares are there when they need to be, as the environment helps carry the horror in this game. Some of the transitions from area to area are done really well. The combat is sound and enjoyable, although at times it can feel clunky when there are many enemies present and alert. I went into this game knowing it was made to be hard and you are expected to die. So that aspect of the game does not concern me. I have walked away from others as they were not challenging enough. The game does suffer from a wonky camera at times, but it never really attributed towards my death. The voice acting really does leave some to be desired, it could have helped elevate the game a little more. The evil within plays solid, looks great, and is an awesome throw back to the old school survival horror. If you grew up in the days of the original resident evils and silent hills, chances are you will enjoy this game. Expand
  52. Jan 28, 2015
    Great story line, and graphics as well as lighting. This game always has you on the edge of your seat. Cool monsters and zombies, and great environments. You will definitely feel your heart beating. But, be prepared for your new adrenaline rush to come to a crashing halt with the difficulty. Now, don't get me wrong. I play a great amount of games, with a huge diversity. I had greatGreat story line, and graphics as well as lighting. This game always has you on the edge of your seat. Cool monsters and zombies, and great environments. You will definitely feel your heart beating. But, be prepared for your new adrenaline rush to come to a crashing halt with the difficulty. Now, don't get me wrong. I play a great amount of games, with a huge diversity. I had great expectations for the evil within, and for the most part, I feel like i was let down. You will find yourself spending hours on one single boss, and missions. Tons of hours are spent getting almost nowhere, and then when you finally feel that triumph of victory, 20 more minutes into the story line your at a stand still for another few hours. I started off with the difficulty set one notch higher than normal, but around 10% completion I had to turn it down to easy. I felt like getting anywhere was excruciatingly painful. If you like getting killed every few minutes, and spawning at the beginning of a checkpoint you hoped and prayed was over with, then this game is for you. Expand
  53. Oct 14, 2014
    This game does prove that survival horror is not dead, The Evil Within is a game that has a nice balance of atmosphere, tension building, combat and running away. The graphics doesn't look anything too special but it the perfect controls for character and camera movement doesn't feel too floaty or too heavy, it actually feels just right.

Admittedly, The story is rather confusing and

Admittedly, The story is rather confusing and doesn't make sense if you're one of those type of gamers who doesn't like collecting journals or collectables since it contains most of the story in the collectables. The protagonist Sebastian is also a rather meh character since he barely has any personality considering some of the craziest stuff he has seen. He barely shows any emotion in any situation he come across and therefore I can't really get a feel for the character especially when the game is a survival horror.

However I do have one problem with the game and that is the aspect ratio is annoying since it is set in a letter box style (Similar to 16:3 but on a 4:3 TV set) when you're watching an older film on a DVD or Blu-Ray and sadly there isn't an option in game to change it to 16:9. Just that one little feature that is really annoys myself and many HDTV owners.

Overall, The game is great, good gameplay and rather difficult! Shinji Mikami has proven that survival horror is not dead and I do hope Capcom look up to the Evil Within and their former employee that us gamers want TRUE survival horror experience. Not action, QTE or explosions every 2 minutes.
  54. Feb 20, 2015
    THIS GAME SUCKS! This is not the worst game I have ever played but it is WAY up there, because this game SUCKED.

For one reason, the plot or story was unbearably impossible to follow, when they told the developer of the story, to make a story for this game they were probably like "I need you to write a horror story." "What about?" the developer said, "Horror." And that's it, no matter how hard i tried to follow the story on here I just couldn't keep up with it, it was just, BOOM your in a sewer, boom your on a high way, boom your in a hospital. It was nothing but just, keep playing the game, there was no reason to keep playing, than just to keep playing.

Secondly, the game play is hilariously awful in this game, I could never figure out what the camera was trying to do, the resolution was about as low as you can get it, okay it is 2014 when this game came out, not 2004. Also, did they want me to try to beat this game with melee kills? Because I NEVER had any bullets even when I head shot every zombie, by the end of the level I DIDN'T HAVE ANY BULLETS! I had plenty of upgrade materiel but NO bullets.

Do not buy this game, I guess some people give it some credit because this was made by the guy who made resident evil 4, but I never played that game, seriously don't buy this. But you want to know a good horror game, Alien Isolation, buy that, not this.
  55. Oct 16, 2014
    This game was a big slap in the face. I was really looking forward to this game as the Resident Evil Remake for Gamecube is one of my favorite games ever. When I booted up the game, the art style and atmosphere seemed right on and I was excited for what was to come. Unfortunately, I was greatly disappointed from the first chapter to the end. This game is incredibly stale, frustrating andThis game was a big slap in the face. I was really looking forward to this game as the Resident Evil Remake for Gamecube is one of my favorite games ever. When I booted up the game, the art style and atmosphere seemed right on and I was excited for what was to come. Unfortunately, I was greatly disappointed from the first chapter to the end. This game is incredibly stale, frustrating and annoying. The game has a lot of issues, for example, the camera gets in the way of your view often, story never really captures your interest the way Resident Evil's story did. Another thing is, you never really feel any horror, because the characters feel too cartoony to be real. The game doesn't feel finished. Most of the gameplay mechanics in the game are done very superficially. Its just not a fun or enjoyable experience. Overall, the game is an utter disappointment. Expand
  56. Oct 19, 2014
    El Survival Horror está disfrutando de un nuevo despertar gracias a Alien: Isolation y a The Evil Within.

Mikami lo ha logrado. Esto es lo que debería haber sido en su día Resident evil 4 y no lo que realmente fue. El terror y la tensión están presentes en el juego, nos encontraremos con enemigos de los que no nos podremos defender por falta de recursos y nuestra única opción será huir de ellos mediante el sigilo. Una gran ambientación, gore, una historia interesante y personajes interesantes y la jugabilidad de RE4 con numerosas mejoras. Sus únicas lacras son el desfasado apartado técnico, una cámara que es incómoda hasta que se logra dominar y las dichosas franjas negras. Ojalá pusiesen la opción de editar estas dos últimas opciones mediante un parche porque es posible.

TEW SÍ es un survival horror. Tiene terror y tensión, intenta meter miedo al jugador. También tiene supervivencia, enfrentarse a los enemigos no es buena idea debido a que no sueles ir bien servido de salud y que normalmente las balas no llegan para matar a todos. Hay que buscar otra forma de acabar y huir de los enemigos: El sigilo. El cual me parece un acierto.

¿Que el juego tiene acción? sí ¿Y? Como es lógico , llegará el momento en el que tengamos las armas y al personaje tan mejorado que va a ser inevitable acabar con todos los enemigos a base de tiros. Esto también pasa en los Survival horror clásicos como Resident evil o Silent hill, en los que llega el momento que tenemos nuestras pistolas/escopetas/Rifles/Lanzagranadas junto a un surtido menú de munición y plantas/Bebidas energéticas/Botiquínes/Sprays. Aunque todo esto depende del jugador, siempre suele ser olvidado por parte de los más nostalgicos. Esto es lo que Mikami denomina como "Superar el horror".

Sobre las referencias a otros juegos, las referencias son elementos y guiños a Resident evil (Como es lógico, puesto que el juego es del creador de la misma). Un guiño a Pyramid head... y nada más. El resto son elementos extraídos de la culturilla general del terror y de la mitología japonesa.

Si sois capaces de obviar sus pequeños defectos, disfrutaréis con The Evil Within.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Survival horror is enjoying a new awakening by Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within.

Mikami has done. This is what should have been at the time Resident evil 4 and it really was not. The terror and tension are present in the game, we find enemies that we can not defend for lack of resources and our only option is to flee from them by stealth. A great atmosphere, gore, an interesting story and interesting characters and gameplay of RE4 with numerous improvements. His only blemishes are outdated technical section, a camera that is uncomfortable until it achieves the happy master and black stripes. Hopefully verifications the option to edit the latter two options using a patch because it is possible.

YES TEW is a survival horror. He has horror and tension, tries to frighten the player. It also has survival confront the enemies is not a good idea because it does not usually go well served health and normally bullets fail to kill all. We must find another way to kill and run away from enemies: Stealth. Which seems like a wise move.

What game has the action? And yeah? Obviously, there will come a time when we have the weapons and the character so much better to be inevitably destroy all enemies based shots. This also happens in survival horror classics like Resident Evil or Silent Hill, where now we have our pistols / shotguns / rifles / grenade launcher menu with an assortment of ammunition and plants / energy / aid kits / Sprays Drinks arrives. Although this depends on the player, always seems to be forgotten by the more nostalgic. This is what Mikami calls "Overcoming the horror".

On references to other games, references are elements and nods to Resident evil (Of course, since the game is the creator of it). A nod to Pyramid head ... and nothing else. All other elements are extracted culturilla general terror and Japanese mythology.

If you are able to ignore their minor flaws, you will enjoy with The Evil Within.
  57. Oct 19, 2014
    Hate this game. Can't wait for it to be over. Not fun or the least bit scary, just tedious and annoying. The three points are for the music, loved that. This has none of the charm of Resident Evil 4 which I loved. I will finish it and trade it in and never think about it again. There is nothing new or interesting to be found in this game, just rehashed stuff you've seen a millionHate this game. Can't wait for it to be over. Not fun or the least bit scary, just tedious and annoying. The three points are for the music, loved that. This has none of the charm of Resident Evil 4 which I loved. I will finish it and trade it in and never think about it again. There is nothing new or interesting to be found in this game, just rehashed stuff you've seen a million times before drawn out by ridiculously long boss fights which are just excruciatingly long and vexing, like the game you just want them fo be over. Expand
  58. Nov 24, 2014
    The horror in this game is, like it's supposed to be, terrifying... but whats even more terrifying, is the gameplay. Very limited resources (around a couple ammo found each a chapter), terrible upgrades (saving up all your green gels will only get you one minor upgrade), terrible weapons (hardly do any damage and are even ineffective at tripping the enemies), Overpowered bosses (The bossesThe horror in this game is, like it's supposed to be, terrifying... but whats even more terrifying, is the gameplay. Very limited resources (around a couple ammo found each a chapter), terrible upgrades (saving up all your green gels will only get you one minor upgrade), terrible weapons (hardly do any damage and are even ineffective at tripping the enemies), Overpowered bosses (The bosses are incredibly stronger than the player, and plus the limited resources, most players can't even cause damage to them), and, of course, the game play (There's just too much wrong with the gameplay to even go into detail). The only upside I see to this game, is the soundtrack, which gives Evil Within its eery atmosphere and sense of horror. Expand
  59. Oct 15, 2014
    Played the game yesterday and today, and thats enough, i just cant play anymore, its so boring and flat so i thought well its time to give it some scores on what i think should define a game review

graphics - 6/10 gameplay - 6/10 story - 4/10 sound - non existent lasting appeal - none i give Evil Within a 4/10. It is a 99p version of resident evil, the graphics are crap for

graphics - 6/10
    gameplay - 6/10
    story - 4/10
    sound - non existent
    lasting appeal - none

i give Evil Within a 4/10. It is a 99p version of resident evil, the graphics are crap for X1/PS4, the story is flat, the main protagonist is boring, the enemies are stupid, and the levels feel the same and are also boring. was really looking forward to this but sadly it dissapoints.
  60. Oct 16, 2014
    Honestly the game isn't that good. It kinda blows. Been there done that..Copy of Rockstar's Max Payne/Manhunt to the extreme, a crappy knockoff. The story is flat, game play super slow, The camera angles are terrible and you'd have a whole hell of an easier time controlling your onscreen character with a banana in a bowl of pudding. 5/10 is generous.
  61. Oct 16, 2014
    Something needs to be said. the zombies seem to literally pose zero threat. You can literally run circles around them with zero need to hide or really do much of anything. Whats worse is after spending a ruthless amount of time figuring out how to get past the 3rd chapter i realized that you can basically sprint through the whole game because there is no real threat from any zombies orSomething needs to be said. the zombies seem to literally pose zero threat. You can literally run circles around them with zero need to hide or really do much of anything. Whats worse is after spending a ruthless amount of time figuring out how to get past the 3rd chapter i realized that you can basically sprint through the whole game because there is no real threat from any zombies or even the samara look alike in chapter 4. I'm playing on survival difficulty. You can literally dance around enemies and the real challenge is finding out what story moment you did not trigger. The game is very pretty. Thats about as much depth as I think you'd find. I was hoping for a challenging game with enemies that did..something? Mostly its a confusing tirade to go where the game expects you to go. I didn't get it. Expand
  62. Feb 12, 2015
    The best survival horror games,Resident Evil 4,Dead Space and Silent Hill 3(not 2,I know I know) were games where I truly wanted to survive.I didn't care about this games frights or surviving them.The developers designs to shock me were laughable.The monster designs instilled mirth,rather than fear.If your resource management skills are as high as any 13 year old gamer you will waltzThe best survival horror games,Resident Evil 4,Dead Space and Silent Hill 3(not 2,I know I know) were games where I truly wanted to survive.I didn't care about this games frights or surviving them.The developers designs to shock me were laughable.The monster designs instilled mirth,rather than fear.If your resource management skills are as high as any 13 year old gamer you will waltz through this game with nary a scratch,except for the overly scripted moments ('to teach you a lesson') where you can't help but NOT SURVIVE,at least during your first run through.I'll say it again.Truly great survival horror is dead.There is a small hope for the future though... Expand
  63. Oct 18, 2014
    Best survival game in years, no doubt, but really there haven't been many in recent memory. The controls here are good, and the graphics and sound is done well. The game does fail at many levels, such as loading screens at the most awkward times--especially the last few hours. The story makes almost no sense until the end and then you'll be saying WTF? the ending is a real disappointmentBest survival game in years, no doubt, but really there haven't been many in recent memory. The controls here are good, and the graphics and sound is done well. The game does fail at many levels, such as loading screens at the most awkward times--especially the last few hours. The story makes almost no sense until the end and then you'll be saying WTF? the ending is a real disappointment IMO. The game itself is filled with a tense atmosphere and gratuitous gore, and at times it will have you on the edge of your seat. Many people are comparing to Resident evil 4 but honestly its not as good and it reminds me more of Resident Evil 2. Its not a bad game but it is certainly not scary--at all. Give it a try if you liked the older Resident Evil titles, and brace yourself for much frustration. Expand
  64. Apr 6, 2015
    This game could have been so good. Unlike a lot of xbox year one releases there are not many bugs. But jeez the writing and acting are terrible, but what spoils the game are the cheap deaths. Honestly you will die hundreds of times and after a while you dont care about the story or the characters. I gave up in the final chapter. Look at The Last Of Us or Bioshock 3 when you really careThis game could have been so good. Unlike a lot of xbox year one releases there are not many bugs. But jeez the writing and acting are terrible, but what spoils the game are the cheap deaths. Honestly you will die hundreds of times and after a while you dont care about the story or the characters. I gave up in the final chapter. Look at The Last Of Us or Bioshock 3 when you really care what happens to the characters you have invested your time in. I really wish AAA game studios hired real writers, not the dime store writers that they seem to hire. I mean you look at the budget of theses games (tens of millions of dollars), and you get 2 cents writers, jeez Far Cry 3, my 3 year old nephew could have written a better story. Expand
  65. Oct 27, 2014
    For those of you, like me, who were looking for something similar to the original resi games ie. more survival horror and less action. Look else where.
    The Evil Within is basically a re-skin of Resi 4. Which some may find encouraging, however it's not. The graphics and atmosphere are fairly good (expected more from XB1), the rest not so good. It still focuses far too much on action rather than exploration. In far too many levels you are chased by an over whelming number of baddies or the one hit kill boss, that basically stops you from ever really exploring properly, not that there's much to explore. You're not given the tools to have a fighting chance. The game play is very trial and error and makes for the majority of mini boss and boss battles becoming very tedious(I'm talking 'Dark Souls' hard). Can't wait for it to be over. Not fun, just tedious and annoying.
  66. Nov 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sencillamente un juego que cumplió lo que debía un survival horror, poca munición y grandes recuerdos del pasado Resident Evil que sin duda me han encantado cada uno de ellos. Pero me inquieta la historia en si, sinceramente han copiado la idea de la película Origen la de ponerlos en sueño en unas bañeras no me ha gustado la verdad, no es que sea malo, pero me esperaba una cosa más de este gran creador, por que yo se que el puede mucho mas y nos lo ha demostrado en el pasado. Una ambientación y una banda sonora que salva el juego, realmente me ha producido Tensión pero no terror Expand
  67. Apr 7, 2015
    The father of Resident Evil returns Survival Horror to it's scream inducing roots. Where many survival horror games have turned into generic third person shooters(Resident Evil 6), The Evil Within takes everything that is good about survival horror, and jams an adrenaline burst right through it's heart. The story is fantastic, the characters are fantastic, the game is terrifying and theThe father of Resident Evil returns Survival Horror to it's scream inducing roots. Where many survival horror games have turned into generic third person shooters(Resident Evil 6), The Evil Within takes everything that is good about survival horror, and jams an adrenaline burst right through it's heart. The story is fantastic, the characters are fantastic, the game is terrifying and the environments and graphics are amazing. I can't say enough good things about this game. This game is on par with Resident Evil 4 and Silet Hill 2. Expand

1. Dec 2, 2014
    Old fashioned in all the right ways (and some wrong ones too). [Issue#255, p.60]
    The Evil Within is less genre-defining and is instead more of a spiritual successor - one that relives past glories rather than seeks out new ones. [Issue#118, p.73]
  3. Nov 17, 2014
    The Evil Within isn’t a return to the genre’s roots or a reinvention, but an exercise in reliving its greatest hits. It’s disappointing that Mikami has lost the wind behind his sails and there seems to be genuine creative apathy here. Nonetheless, The Evil Within is an enjoyable horror romp. It’s a shame it couldn’t be more.