5.9

1. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some thingsThief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some things have changed, 99% of it remains the same but better than ever. Expand
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    As someone who has never been exposed to the Thief franchise prior to this installment, this newest Thief is a sleeper hit for me. I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment with this game. The graphics and detail are incredible!! Some of the best I've seen. This is one of the most polished, immersive, atmospheric games to come out in awhile. I'm loving the mellow paced, stealth gameplayAs someone who has never been exposed to the Thief franchise prior to this installment, this newest Thief is a sleeper hit for me. I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment with this game. The graphics and detail are incredible!! Some of the best I've seen. This is one of the most polished, immersive, atmospheric games to come out in awhile. I'm loving the mellow paced, stealth gameplay where the main focus is stealing as much as possible in contrast to fighting as many enemies as possible. Its an incredibly refreshing feeling in regards that most games nowadays are more focused on throwing as many enemies as possible at you which quickly gets old. This game is relaxing to play and a great way to wind down. I like games where I can just look and explore the game environment and admire at its beauty. This is one of those games that really transports you to that location and making you forget your just playing a game. In my opinion, this is the best stealth game I've ever played, even better than Dishonored which I also loved. I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in this game. I'm really baffled by the critics scores nowadays. Sometimes, they come across more as video game haters, then video game lovers. And its interesting how franchises that have been around for awhile like Mario will play it safe and result in a been there done that feeling, yet their scores are always high while new franchises or resurrected franchises will experiment with something new and overall do it well, but critics will nitpick the hell out of the game and review it harshly. Then later these same critics will complain about the lack of creativity and experimentation in the video game industry! Its very ironic. Anyways, try this game out and see for yourself whether you enjoy it or not. For me, its one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure playing. And I hope they continue this franchise! Expand
  3. Feb 28, 2014
    If you are one of the haters listen up, this game is the bomb. Garrett is back in the fourth instalment of the Thief series. This latest blockbuster is a tour-de-force in stealth, redefining the genre once again. If you don’t like it, prepare to be knocked out by the new powerful Garrett and his improved blackjack!

If you thought Garrett was well equipped before, buckle yourself up son

If you thought Garrett was well equipped before, buckle yourself up son as he now he has incredible supernatural powers! These let him see through walls, way better than having to look yourself like the other games. Rope arrows are back with some serious attitude, these help you more than ever before with the new and improved levels! Let’s face it, the levels of the first games were lame level design, those suckers were boring as hell, this time the emphasis is on the real deal; stealing stuff!

You want a script, you got it! The story has plenty of wicked action and developed characters enough to satisfy you film fans out there. The dialogue is cranked up to 2014 and these dudes aren’t scared to tell you what they think. F-this and f-that, s-this and time to drop a c-bomb in there somewhere. Who needs that Old English stuff when you have proper swearing?

Thief looks like a real boss! Prepare for an eyegasm the second you see it! Followed by an intense eargasm! The music is insane and awesome! Oh yeah, the game plays awesome too as you can become a real thief and steal from peoples houses just like in Brixton - word to the massive! But how about some end-of-level bosses to mix up the action a bit? How about a zombie hordes mode for multiplayer? They could have a mode called Steal The Flag which would be awesome in Thief!

So all you Thief fans won’t be disappointed as this game is a true soldier in the stealth war, guaranteed to keep the millions entertained until the next Battlefield! Anyone who disses this game needs to back up their stuff, this is the greatest game in this quality series so far.

Graphics 10 – proper blazing showing the true potential of the XBONE and PS4 capabilities
    Sound 10 – AMAZING sounds, it’s like a orchestra in my home!
    Gameplay 10 – Addicting as alcohol or any drug!
    Depth 9 – You can play it time and time again different and find new ways to play! Why no multiplayer though?!

4. Feb 26, 2014
    one of the best games I ever played deserves a 10 , this game surpasses a lot of games already played and my favorite game by how much this game is too much loved and will never forget that I played it because some think it is not epic but I loved it and I think others also liked the gameplay is very good to me the graphics do not need backup talk because they are very good and veryone of the best games I ever played deserves a 10 , this game surpasses a lot of games already played and my favorite game by how much this game is too much loved and will never forget that I played it because some think it is not epic but I loved it and I think others also liked the gameplay is very good to me the graphics do not need backup talk because they are very good and very interesting story Expand
  5. Mar 1, 2014
    As a long-time fan of the Thief series, I had high expectations for the game. I am not disappointed. I don't understand the harsh and lukewarm reviews, this is an awesome entry in the franchise. The game captures the stealth of the original game and brings it up to date. Purists will want to select a hard difficulty level and turn off some of the assistance. I hope the franchise does wellAs a long-time fan of the Thief series, I had high expectations for the game. I am not disappointed. I don't understand the harsh and lukewarm reviews, this is an awesome entry in the franchise. The game captures the stealth of the original game and brings it up to date. Purists will want to select a hard difficulty level and turn off some of the assistance. I hope the franchise does well and continues on. Expand
  6. Feb 26, 2014
    I'm only up to Chapter 3, so my score may change, but as of today - this is a great game. It reminds me of a combination of Dishonored, Assassin's Creed with a little of Batman Arkham in there too. You don't have to play stealthily (you are rated in 1 of 3 ways after each chapter - from 'ghost' (never being seen) to the opposite (can't remember the ranking name - but it's if you killI'm only up to Chapter 3, so my score may change, but as of today - this is a great game. It reminds me of a combination of Dishonored, Assassin's Creed with a little of Batman Arkham in there too. You don't have to play stealthily (you are rated in 1 of 3 ways after each chapter - from 'ghost' (never being seen) to the opposite (can't remember the ranking name - but it's if you kill every guard instead of hiding) and you can replay chapters to change your rating.

There's tons of mini missions, tons of upgrades and tons of collectibles to find. I love open world games and this one is close to it. It plays like Dishonored but there's a large hub, where between each chapter you go to restock and look at all the items you've stolen.

I'm giving it a 10 to offset the people that gave it a 2?! I'm playing it on Xbox One and the graphics are great! This is a good game, I hope it holds up as I continue to play it.
  7. Mar 4, 2014
    Thief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a somewhat mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who wantThief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a somewhat mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who want Thief to be more of an action game. Then there are those that have always understood what Thief is about and enjoy it for what it is: a damn good pure stealth series.

The new Thief is no exception. Nothing has given me the sense of skulking about in the shadows and having to use stealth in order to survive better than Thief has. This isn't an action/stealth hybrid like Dishonored or Splinter Cell that you can go in guns blazing and cut down half a dozen guards in a short amount of time. In Thief you have to remain undetected or face the consequences.

At first I was disappointed by the fact you can't use the rope arrow on any wood surface as before and can only attach to specially highlighted beams. But the game makes up for it in other ways. The new swoop ability is pure awesomeness. It gives a fluidity and speed to the game while still feeling stealthy and appropriate.

The graphics are quite good, with some of the best lighting and shadows I have ever seen in a game. The world itself is quite dreary and that may turn off some people, but it has character and a strange charm of its own. I LOVE the atmosphere in this game.

I have come to love the sound design in this game. Playing with headphones you realize all of the amazing little touches and how accurate the positional sound is. As far as the voice acting is concerned, it is very good in the case of Garrett and fairly good in the case of most of the other characters. Garrett is such an intriguing character.

Those giving this game 0/10 and scores like that are complete douchebags and honestly have no business reviewing games. They are hatemongers who simply love bashing and tearing things down. Unfortunately, this sort of behavior is all too common in our society. I have NEVER given a game a score that low, because the truth is, no game has ever deserved such a score. Such scores indicate a game that is completely broken and without redeeming qualities. Thief may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it plays well, looks great and offers a lot of fun for those that enjoy these kind of stealth games. I would personally give the game an 8.9.

All in all I think Thief carries the stealth torch admirably. It's one of the best pure stealth games in years. I've enjoyed it a lot and if you like stealth I believe it is likely that you will too.
  8. Mar 5, 2014
    Overall I really love this game, it does have a few minor flaws but nothing to speak of really. The one thing it does do very well is truly make you feel like a master thief skulking about a dark and foreboding Victorian style city. The graphics are gorgeous allowing for an exemption with the character models which isn't that big a deal since you really only see them in the cut scenes.Overall I really love this game, it does have a few minor flaws but nothing to speak of really. The one thing it does do very well is truly make you feel like a master thief skulking about a dark and foreboding Victorian style city. The graphics are gorgeous allowing for an exemption with the character models which isn't that big a deal since you really only see them in the cut scenes. The city is large with lots of secrets to explore and goodies to find so in that respect there is a decent amount of replay value. Attempting the missions in different play styles will also keep yo coming back for me, it can be quite challenging to make it through an entire level without being detected at all. There is also a nice set of upgrades for both your equipment as well as your skills which allow you to unlock different paths and methods of play. The story is nothing spectacular but when the gameplay and atmosphere is this good I'm willing to let that slide, most game stories aren't that great anyhow. Elements from both Human revolution and dishonored are prevalent throughout the game which is a good thing if you ask me. For a newer next gen title this game truly does shine and if you enjoyed either of the titles I mentioned previously you owe it to yourself to give this game a shot. My only real complaint is the sound when it comes to character (NPC) voices..they can be extremely loud at times and not really seem to come from any direction, which again is really nothing when there is so much goodness to be found in every other aspect of the game. Overall, I highly recommend this one as it is great fun and does a wonderful job of immersing you into it's world, check it out!! Expand
  9. Jul 13, 2014
    I'm a thief fan since it started back in 90's. I've enjoyed every aspect of the game, you can play in any way - as stealthy thief master or super hero (choosing easy difficulty). For those who think it's not as deep and complex as predessors I advise to play on max difficulty setting, and I'm sure then you'll change your mind. It's nothing to complain about at all, if you preferI'm a thief fan since it started back in 90's. I've enjoyed every aspect of the game, you can play in any way - as stealthy thief master or super hero (choosing easy difficulty). For those who think it's not as deep and complex as predessors I advise to play on max difficulty setting, and I'm sure then you'll change your mind. It's nothing to complain about at all, if you prefer multiplayer action game then you won't love it for sure. Beautiful graphics, very dark and desperate atmosphere, strong gameplay, perfect art and gamedesign. Overall Thief is one of the best games ever created, very good "re-arrenge" of well known series which fits to veterans and newcomers. Everything is changing, so do we and games. Expand
  10. Jul 22, 2014
    This game is loads of fun, the item collecting is addictive. The atmosphere and A.I. are astounding, don't be fooled by bad reviews, this game is great.
  11. May 29, 2014
    Aside from what the average sentiments about this game are (fairly negative), I truly enjoyed this game! First of all, the world it puts you in is extremely immersive, from top notch and beautifully rendered graphics, to classic "Thief" elements like gothic and forbearing allies and chapels. The mechanics of the game where solid for the most past, but any mishaps (mainly audio) were easilyAside from what the average sentiments about this game are (fairly negative), I truly enjoyed this game! First of all, the world it puts you in is extremely immersive, from top notch and beautifully rendered graphics, to classic "Thief" elements like gothic and forbearing allies and chapels. The mechanics of the game where solid for the most past, but any mishaps (mainly audio) were easily forgivable. The combat and stealth system was dynamic and challenging, making you actually "think", something most games today unfortunately do not. Ultimately, this is an immersive game that makes you feel like an authentic thief in a steampunk/gothic civilization. Highly recommended! Expand
  12. Dec 13, 2014
    An excellent game. I had experienced poor performance on the 360 and PS3 versions that seriously hampered my enjoyment of it. I am pleased to find that the XBone version was completely without any significant glitches during my 20 hour romp through the city. This game is what you make of it. A noticeable design problem that may be keeping people from enjoying it is the seriouslyAn excellent game. I had experienced poor performance on the 360 and PS3 versions that seriously hampered my enjoyment of it. I am pleased to find that the XBone version was completely without any significant glitches during my 20 hour romp through the city. This game is what you make of it. A noticeable design problem that may be keeping people from enjoying it is the seriously unhelpful map. Because the city is broken up by loading screens, and these are reached by a number of weird means, most often a window, traversing the place can be very, very frustrating. The City itself is well designed and beautiful, though a number of critics complained of the dreary atmosphere of the place. Well, that's Thief! Imagine if they had said the same thing about their precious Resident Evil 4.... The fact is that it is hard to look in any direction in the City and not have a great cover like image. This place is Charles Dickens and Poe and Lovecraft all wrapped into one! And I love it, just as I loved Ion Storm's Thief: Deadly Shadows. Though I have beat the game there are mysteries I have yet to solve, like what the heck is up with the candles you can light around town, or what the buttons on the monoliths do. The main plot is quite underwhelming, however, but the strengths of the game lie not in the story but in the grand sense of exploration and the uncovering of secrets that it gives. Also, when the blackjack is powerful enough combat can be quite satisfying, but minor hiccups like broken dodging and non-cancelable moves keep it from shining. It is, nevertheless, leagues better than any of the previous Thief titles. As usual, you really aren't meant to engage opponents in out and out combat in these games anyway. I suggest playing on easy, which is a good difficulty for any seasoned gamer but may yet not be easy enough for noobs, which is a shame. Still, 9 out of 10, Bravo! Expand

1. Mar 20, 2014
    Thief stumbles in some areas, but purely as a stealth game it does have some shining moments.
  2. Mar 10, 2014
    Satisfying gameplay mechanics and excellent environments and sound design meet an unsound technical production, irritating and overly repetitive character dialogues and a lacklustre enemy AI. Stealth games lovers will still find good elements in the new Thief, but it isn't the triumphant return we'd hoped it would be.
  3. Feb 27, 2014
    And therein lies the game’s real issue. Whereas Dishonored (which does feel like Thief’s more charismatic and popular older brother) and Mark of the Ninja have toyed with established hide-and-seek mechanics and shown that there are still ideas to mine in this genre, Thief just sticks to the shadows.