Thief Xbox One

5.9

1. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some thingsThief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some things have changed, 99% of it remains the same but better than ever. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

Concept: A reboot of a classic series that sticks nostalgically to its roots while maintaining a fresh, new presentation as well. A decent story and even better gameplay and moments highlight the duration of the game's semi-linear pathway.

Graphics: Definitely showcases the new hardware for the next generation consoles, however it looks the best on computers, unless you're system isn't up to snuff. Thief doesn't look too bad on 360 and PS3, but the other three choices would definitely be in your best interest if you have the opportunity to pick and choose.

Sound: The voice acting is handled quite well and really elicits the exact moods Thief aims for, however the soundtrack feels slightly out of place at times, though the tenser and more actiony moments fit in well with their mixes.

Playability: The controls handle phenomenally, the controls make sense, and overall the balancing and difficulty aren't too terrible once you get the hang of things- just don't come expecting handouts or any concessions to be given.

Entertainment: If you suck during one particular section, the game can become very frustrating, however the highlight of every mission is successfully scraping by without being detected, or at least making it to the final puzzle before escaping with your precious cargo in tow.

Replay Value: Moderately High.

Overall Score: 8.5
  3. Mar 1, 2014
    As a long-time fan of the Thief series, I had high expectations for the game. I am not disappointed. I don't understand the harsh and lukewarm reviews, this is an awesome entry in the franchise. The game captures the stealth of the original game and brings it up to date. Purists will want to select a hard difficulty level and turn off some of the assistance. I hope the franchise does wellAs a long-time fan of the Thief series, I had high expectations for the game. I am not disappointed. I don't understand the harsh and lukewarm reviews, this is an awesome entry in the franchise. The game captures the stealth of the original game and brings it up to date. Purists will want to select a hard difficulty level and turn off some of the assistance. I hope the franchise does well and continues on. Expand
  4. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is much better than I was expecting. (I haven't played the old ones)

Graphics looks good but they don't feel next-gen. Frame rate drops in open areas and is not fluid, which is bad for a game that doesn't look truly next-gen.

Feeling of being a thief is good. Dialogues are good too. The bow is not fun to use, it feel unpolished.
  5. Feb 26, 2014
    one of the best games I ever played deserves a 10 , this game surpasses a lot of games already played and my favorite game by how much this game is too much loved and will never forget that I played it because some think it is not epic but I loved it and I think others also liked the gameplay is very good to me the graphics do not need backup talk because they are very good and veryone of the best games I ever played deserves a 10 , this game surpasses a lot of games already played and my favorite game by how much this game is too much loved and will never forget that I played it because some think it is not epic but I loved it and I think others also liked the gameplay is very good to me the graphics do not need backup talk because they are very good and very interesting story Expand
  6. Feb 25, 2014
    As someone who has never been exposed to the Thief franchise prior to this installment, this newest Thief is a sleeper hit for me. I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment with this game. The graphics and detail are incredible!! Some of the best I've seen. This is one of the most polished, immersive, atmospheric games to come out in awhile. I'm loving the mellow paced, stealth gameplayAs someone who has never been exposed to the Thief franchise prior to this installment, this newest Thief is a sleeper hit for me. I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment with this game. The graphics and detail are incredible!! Some of the best I've seen. This is one of the most polished, immersive, atmospheric games to come out in awhile. I'm loving the mellow paced, stealth gameplay where the main focus is stealing as much as possible in contrast to fighting as many enemies as possible. Its an incredibly refreshing feeling in regards that most games nowadays are more focused on throwing as many enemies as possible at you which quickly gets old. This game is relaxing to play and a great way to wind down. I like games where I can just look and explore the game environment and admire at its beauty. This is one of those games that really transports you to that location and making you forget your just playing a game. In my opinion, this is the best stealth game I've ever played, even better than Dishonored which I also loved. I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in this game. I'm really baffled by the critics scores nowadays. Sometimes, they come across more as video game haters, then video game lovers. And its interesting how franchises that have been around for awhile like Mario will play it safe and result in a been there done that feeling, yet their scores are always high while new franchises or resurrected franchises will experiment with something new and overall do it well, but critics will nitpick the hell out of the game and review it harshly. Then later these same critics will complain about the lack of creativity and experimentation in the video game industry! Its very ironic. Anyways, try this game out and see for yourself whether you enjoy it or not. For me, its one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure playing. And I hope they continue this franchise! Expand
  7. Mar 7, 2014
    Thief was fun the first time, but gets bored in the second play through, the story was decent, the stealth was amazing, but the enemies was stupid and kinda ruin the fun in the stealth but was still challenging , still it deserve a 8, it's not a game you will need NOW, you can easily wait a few months , the city is nice detailed and the side missions is fun.

There is a lot of bugs in

There is a lot of bugs in the game, witness several bugs through out my first play through but some was so fun I could not stop smiling, the game doesn't deserve a 1 to 6 it deserve 8 nothing more or less, you get something for your price, believe me. But as I mentioned before you can wait. I bought it for revisit the Thief Universe!
  8. Jul 13, 2014
    I'm a thief fan since it started back in 90's. I've enjoyed every aspect of the game, you can play in any way - as stealthy thief master or super hero (choosing easy difficulty). For those who think it's not as deep and complex as predessors I advise to play on max difficulty setting, and I'm sure then you'll change your mind. It's nothing to complain about at all, if you preferI'm a thief fan since it started back in 90's. I've enjoyed every aspect of the game, you can play in any way - as stealthy thief master or super hero (choosing easy difficulty). For those who think it's not as deep and complex as predessors I advise to play on max difficulty setting, and I'm sure then you'll change your mind. It's nothing to complain about at all, if you prefer multiplayer action game then you won't love it for sure. Beautiful graphics, very dark and desperate atmosphere, strong gameplay, perfect art and gamedesign. Overall Thief is one of the best games ever created, very good "re-arrenge" of well known series which fits to veterans and newcomers. Everything is changing, so do we and games. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2015
    A great great game.
    Huge replay value.
    I really dont understand the bad reviews on this game. Thief is definitely as good as Dishonored for those who care to compare the two. Everything runs perfectly. Excellent controls, huge atmosphere, great story, good graphics. Yes, there may be flaws at the AI, (but i am actually playing at a medium difficulty level, so can't say how it runs at
    A great great game.
    Huge replay value.
    I really dont understand the bad reviews on this game.
    Everything runs perfectly. Excellent controls, huge atmosphere, great story, good graphics. Yes, there may be flaws at the AI, (but i am actually playing at a medium difficulty level, so can't say how it runs at the highest difficulty), but the game is still quiet demanding.
    The only issue I encounter on this is the map and actually a 2014 open world game which has way too many loadings while roaming the city.
    Still, It's non-sense this game averages between 6 and 7 here.
    I never bought the game (actually just got it now as it's for free in xbox live gold) because of the extremely bad reviews (which are clearly non-sense) and I am very very much impressed and highly compelled to play more and more.
    Do not trust the reviews, and buy the game. For me, one of the most compelling games after Tomb Raiders, and Halo on Xbox One.
  10. Feb 27, 2014
    ***Minor note: Anyone who gives a 0/10 is does not deserve to review a game. a 0/10 means that the game cannot be played, the game is corrupt and is not fun in the slightest; meaning you take four steps and the game will not let you continue or you don't have the skill to continue.

But this game is not like that at all. Thief is a lot like dishonored and if you liked that game then

But this game is not like that at all.

Thief is a lot like dishonored and if you liked that game then you will like this game a lot. The stealth is really fun. The audio has nothing to do with the fun, but it's there and if you listen you'll hear secrets. Thief does take awhile to get into but once it's open its very fun. I had more fun exploring than actually doing the story. But the story isn't terrible just not the best. The graphics don't suck but they don't blow. And the scope of the game is quite impressive. In my opinion this is a very good stealth game, but be weary of those dreaded 0/10 scores that affect the main score. Call them trolls or what you not, but I call them incapable of being good reviewers. Have fun looting!
  11. Mar 4, 2014
    Thief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a somewhat mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who wantThief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a somewhat mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who want Thief to be more of an action game. Then there are those that have always understood what Thief is about and enjoy it for what it is: a damn good pure stealth series.

The new Thief is no exception. Nothing has given me the sense of skulking about in the shadows and having to use stealth in order to survive better than Thief has. This isn't an action/stealth hybrid like Dishonored or Splinter Cell that you can go in guns blazing and cut down half a dozen guards in a short amount of time. In Thief you have to remain undetected or face the consequences.

At first I was disappointed by the fact you can't use the rope arrow on any wood surface as before and can only attach to specially highlighted beams. But the game makes up for it in other ways. The new swoop ability is pure awesomeness. It gives a fluidity and speed to the game while still feeling stealthy and appropriate.

The graphics are quite good, with some of the best lighting and shadows I have ever seen in a game. The world itself is quite dreary and that may turn off some people, but it has character and a strange charm of its own. I LOVE the atmosphere in this game.

I have come to love the sound design in this game. Playing with headphones you realize all of the amazing little touches and how accurate the positional sound is. As far as the voice acting is concerned, it is very good in the case of Garrett and fairly good in the case of most of the other characters. Garrett is such an intriguing character.

Those giving this game 0/10 and scores like that are complete douchebags and honestly have no business reviewing games. They are hatemongers who simply love bashing and tearing things down. Unfortunately, this sort of behavior is all too common in our society. I have NEVER given a game a score that low, because the truth is, no game has ever deserved such a score. Such scores indicate a game that is completely broken and without redeeming qualities. Thief may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it plays well, looks great and offers a lot of fun for those that enjoy these kind of stealth games. I would personally give the game an 8.9.

All in all I think Thief carries the stealth torch admirably. It's one of the best pure stealth games in years. I've enjoyed it a lot and if you like stealth I believe it is likely that you will too.
  12. Feb 28, 2014
    If you are one of the haters listen up, this game is the bomb. Garrett is back in the fourth instalment of the Thief series. This latest blockbuster is a tour-de-force in stealth, redefining the genre once again. If you don’t like it, prepare to be knocked out by the new powerful Garrett and his improved blackjack!

If you thought Garrett was well equipped before, buckle yourself up son

If you thought Garrett was well equipped before, buckle yourself up son as he now he has incredible supernatural powers! These let him see through walls, way better than having to look yourself like the other games. Rope arrows are back with some serious attitude, these help you more than ever before with the new and improved levels! Let’s face it, the levels of the first games were lame level design, those suckers were boring as hell, this time the emphasis is on the real deal; stealing stuff!

You want a script, you got it! The story has plenty of wicked action and developed characters enough to satisfy you film fans out there. The dialogue is cranked up to 2014 and these dudes aren’t scared to tell you what they think. F-this and f-that, s-this and time to drop a c-bomb in there somewhere. Who needs that Old English stuff when you have proper swearing?

Thief looks like a real boss! Prepare for an eyegasm the second you see it! Followed by an intense eargasm! The music is insane and awesome! Oh yeah, the game plays awesome too as you can become a real thief and steal from peoples houses just like in Brixton - word to the massive! But how about some end-of-level bosses to mix up the action a bit? How about a zombie hordes mode for multiplayer? They could have a mode called Steal The Flag which would be awesome in Thief!

So all you Thief fans won’t be disappointed as this game is a true soldier in the stealth war, guaranteed to keep the millions entertained until the next Battlefield! Anyone who disses this game needs to back up their stuff, this is the greatest game in this quality series so far.

Graphics 10 – proper blazing showing the true potential of the XBONE and PS4 capabilities
    Sound 10 – AMAZING sounds, it’s like a orchestra in my home!
    Gameplay 10 – Addicting as alcohol or any drug!
    Depth 9 – You can play it time and time again different and find new ways to play! Why no multiplayer though?!

13. Feb 27, 2014
    Le jeux je le trouve tres bon, malgrés ses quelque defaut il ne vaut pas un 9 ou 10 mais la a mettre un 69/100 je trouve sa abusé car j'ai bien aimé ce jeux moi
  14. Feb 28, 2014
    All right, this game it pretty fun if I do say so myself. Its got all the mechanics a good stealth game needs, some good ol' sneaky free roaming and it is all tied together with keeping you entertained at the same time! While I do say this is one fun game at the same time it does have a noticeable glitch. The A.I. sometimes has a problem with keeping a smooth path. Instead of taking aAll right, this game it pretty fun if I do say so myself. Its got all the mechanics a good stealth game needs, some good ol' sneaky free roaming and it is all tied together with keeping you entertained at the same time! While I do say this is one fun game at the same time it does have a noticeable glitch. The A.I. sometimes has a problem with keeping a smooth path. Instead of taking a smooth turn it will be a little twitchy or if standing on an uneven surface the foot will twitch a little bit. I know that may be a little picky but sometimes it can be slightly "unimmersive" from time to time. Other than that though, this is one game I recommend you to consider if you like stealth games. Expand
  15. Feb 26, 2014
    I'm only up to Chapter 3, so my score may change, but as of today - this is a great game. It reminds me of a combination of Dishonored, Assassin's Creed with a little of Batman Arkham in there too. You don't have to play stealthily (you are rated in 1 of 3 ways after each chapter - from 'ghost' (never being seen) to the opposite (can't remember the ranking name - but it's if you killI'm only up to Chapter 3, so my score may change, but as of today - this is a great game. It reminds me of a combination of Dishonored, Assassin's Creed with a little of Batman Arkham in there too. You don't have to play stealthily (you are rated in 1 of 3 ways after each chapter - from 'ghost' (never being seen) to the opposite (can't remember the ranking name - but it's if you kill every guard instead of hiding) and you can replay chapters to change your rating.

There's tons of mini missions, tons of upgrades and tons of collectibles to find. I love open world games and this one is close to it. It plays like Dishonored but there's a large hub, where between each chapter you go to restock and look at all the items you've stolen.

I'm giving it a 10 to offset the people that gave it a 2?! I'm playing it on Xbox One and the graphics are great! This is a good game, I hope it holds up as I continue to play it.
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    Dark, gritty and intense, Thief will suck you into it's troubled world and make you feel like a real master thief. A stealth game that makes you really think about how you are going to tackle it's missions and makes you want to replay them straight away to see if you could do it better, tons of replayability and a lot of room for DLC expansion. The comparisons to Dishonored areDark, gritty and intense, Thief will suck you into it's troubled world and make you feel like a real master thief. A stealth game that makes you really think about how you are going to tackle it's missions and makes you want to replay them straight away to see if you could do it better, tons of replayability and a lot of room for DLC expansion. The comparisons to Dishonored are justified as it will have you tossing hours away just the same before you even tackle the challenge mode. Expand
  17. Mar 5, 2014
    Overall I really love this game, it does have a few minor flaws but nothing to speak of really. The one thing it does do very well is truly make you feel like a master thief skulking about a dark and foreboding Victorian style city. The graphics are gorgeous allowing for an exemption with the character models which isn't that big a deal since you really only see them in the cut scenes.Overall I really love this game, it does have a few minor flaws but nothing to speak of really. The one thing it does do very well is truly make you feel like a master thief skulking about a dark and foreboding Victorian style city. The graphics are gorgeous allowing for an exemption with the character models which isn't that big a deal since you really only see them in the cut scenes. The city is large with lots of secrets to explore and goodies to find so in that respect there is a decent amount of replay value. Attempting the missions in different play styles will also keep yo coming back for me, it can be quite challenging to make it through an entire level without being detected at all. There is also a nice set of upgrades for both your equipment as well as your skills which allow you to unlock different paths and methods of play. The story is nothing spectacular but when the gameplay and atmosphere is this good I'm willing to let that slide, most game stories aren't that great anyhow. Elements from both Human revolution and dishonored are prevalent throughout the game which is a good thing if you ask me. For a newer next gen title this game truly does shine and if you enjoyed either of the titles I mentioned previously you owe it to yourself to give this game a shot. My only real complaint is the sound when it comes to character (NPC) voices..they can be extremely loud at times and not really seem to come from any direction, which again is really nothing when there is so much goodness to be found in every other aspect of the game. Overall, I highly recommend this one as it is great fun and does a wonderful job of immersing you into it's world, check it out!! Expand
  18. Jul 22, 2014
    This game is loads of fun, the item collecting is addictive. The atmosphere and A.I. are astounding, don't be fooled by bad reviews, this game is great.
  19. May 29, 2014
    Aside from what the average sentiments about this game are (fairly negative), I truly enjoyed this game! First of all, the world it puts you in is extremely immersive, from top notch and beautifully rendered graphics, to classic "Thief" elements like gothic and forbearing allies and chapels. The mechanics of the game where solid for the most past, but any mishaps (mainly audio) were easilyAside from what the average sentiments about this game are (fairly negative), I truly enjoyed this game! First of all, the world it puts you in is extremely immersive, from top notch and beautifully rendered graphics, to classic "Thief" elements like gothic and forbearing allies and chapels. The mechanics of the game where solid for the most past, but any mishaps (mainly audio) were easily forgivable. The combat and stealth system was dynamic and challenging, making you actually "think", something most games today unfortunately do not. Ultimately, this is an immersive game that makes you feel like an authentic thief in a steampunk/gothic civilization. Highly recommended! Expand
  20. Mar 28, 2014
    Eidos most lowed-down quality, over the level map design & disappointed voice actor. However, the gameplay is still briliant than the previous installment.
  21. Jun 29, 2014
    Some genius ideas and a nice philosophy behind the game, but they **** it up after chapter 3 ... because it is just no fun to **** search every **** corner of a **** Castle for something to steal ... now thats whats going down the rest of the game :(
  22. Aug 17, 2014
    I do not like stealth games very much but I love this game. The stealth is the best I have ever encountered in gaming. The story is good and the acting is also very good. This is a much better game than Dishonored in every way. It is totally immersive and you become engaged in the story and characters immediatley. The low critic scores are once again a mystery to me. This gameI do not like stealth games very much but I love this game. The stealth is the best I have ever encountered in gaming. The story is good and the acting is also very good. This is a much better game than Dishonored in every way. It is totally immersive and you become engaged in the story and characters immediatley. The low critic scores are once again a mystery to me. This game deserves to be played and to chase players away with bad reviews that are totally undeserved makes me wonder what is motivating these reviewers. As another user commented, these reviewers don't seem to love gaming like we do. I think this game deserves your time and I am pretty sure you will feel as I do that this game is fun and challenging and well made. Give it a try and give it a chance, it really is a great game. Expand
  23. Dec 13, 2014
    An excellent game. I had experienced poor performance on the 360 and PS3 versions that seriously hampered my enjoyment of it. I am pleased to find that the XBone version was completely without any significant glitches during my 20 hour romp through the city. This game is what you make of it. A noticeable design problem that may be keeping people from enjoying it is the seriouslyAn excellent game. I had experienced poor performance on the 360 and PS3 versions that seriously hampered my enjoyment of it. I am pleased to find that the XBone version was completely without any significant glitches during my 20 hour romp through the city. This game is what you make of it. A noticeable design problem that may be keeping people from enjoying it is the seriously unhelpful map. Because the city is broken up by loading screens, and these are reached by a number of weird means, most often a window, traversing the place can be very, very frustrating. The City itself is well designed and beautiful, though a number of critics complained of the dreary atmosphere of the place. Well, that's Thief! Imagine if they had said the same thing about their precious Resident Evil 4.... The fact is that it is hard to look in any direction in the City and not have a great cover like image. This place is Charles Dickens and Poe and Lovecraft all wrapped into one! And I love it, just as I loved Ion Storm's Thief: Deadly Shadows. Though I have beat the game there are mysteries I have yet to solve, like what the heck is up with the candles you can light around town, or what the buttons on the monoliths do. The main plot is quite underwhelming, however, but the strengths of the game lie not in the story but in the grand sense of exploration and the uncovering of secrets that it gives. Also, when the blackjack is powerful enough combat can be quite satisfying, but minor hiccups like broken dodging and non-cancelable moves keep it from shining. It is, nevertheless, leagues better than any of the previous Thief titles. As usual, you really aren't meant to engage opponents in out and out combat in these games anyway. I suggest playing on easy, which is a good difficulty for any seasoned gamer but may yet not be easy enough for noobs, which is a shame. Still, 9 out of 10, Bravo! Expand
  24. May 23, 2015
    An under rated game. I'm a fan of the 1st 2 entries of Thief as well and I still really enjoyed this game. The feeling of moving about a city in 1st person was extremely well done, the controls truly make it feel like you are a Thief. Some of the levels are pretty amazing and memorable--there is a prostituon and opium den that you have to infiltrate and rob, there is a home designed byAn under rated game. I'm a fan of the 1st 2 entries of Thief as well and I still really enjoyed this game. The feeling of moving about a city in 1st person was extremely well done, the controls truly make it feel like you are a Thief. Some of the levels are pretty amazing and memorable--there is a prostituon and opium den that you have to infiltrate and rob, there is a home designed by a master engineer which is essentially a huge puzzle with sliding walls and hidden rooms that Garret has to figure out, then there is a haunted hosptial that is quite thrilling. I thought the graphics were pretty good as well.
    The biggest problem lies in the story which is obviously unfinished, some of the enemies(gollum appears in the last 3rd of the game for no apparent reason), and some of the last few levels in which it was pretty clear that the devs had to cancel some of their ideas for what they wanted to do as well as portraying a world that was too nutty for the Thief franchise(a Titanic sized ship somehow made out of scrap wood). Oh, and also the world is spilt up in too many loading zones which breaks immersion and also forced the player to repeat encounters with guards.
    Despite these issues, I found this game to be the best launch title out for Xbox One. I had a blast playing, just don't expect to see the whole brilliance of the Thief franchise-although you will definetely see bits and pieces of it. At this point, you should be able to buy it for less than the $60 release price which makes it a recommended buy if you are willing to go in realizing that while it could've been much better, despite the problems it is still a fun game,
  25. Aug 4, 2015
    This is a game designed for fans of the series. It has some modern contrivances such as the "focus" system that make the game slightly more accessible to newer players, but it is definitely not pulling any punches for them.
    This game requires incredible amounts of patience. This is likely why many current players that are expecting more action or bigger thrills may not care for it. But this is also it's primary charm; if you consider the game like an first person chess game requiring impeccable timing, you'll have far more fun. The first time you swoop out of the shadows, pickpocket a guard, and disappear through a door that was just locked, all without ever being seen, you'll understand the appeal.

Lovingly rendered in modern graphics, the promise we got with Deadly Shadows is finally fulfilled. Truly dynamic lighting is exemplified with guards carrying torches, and particularly in the climactic end game battle. Unique challenges like the "freaks" that can only be beaten in the light force you to switch your habits in interesting ways. I was particularly pleased with the Moira Asylum, a nod to Deadly Shadow's excellent "The Cradle" level. I also rather liked the nod to the Watchers' library, left mysteriously unexplained.

If you're expecting to win by sticking the guards through the head with arrows and then traipsing through the levels willy-nilly, you're going to miss the point. While the game will accommodate to this playstyle some, it's not where it shines.

If you're a fan of the stealth genre games, this is for you. It's an excellent return to form for the series, cherrypicking the best of previous titles in the series.
  26. Jan 19, 2016
    Im in the same boat as others with really not understanding why this game got the low reviews it did.. I always avoided spending any money on it due to all the haters, so I finally got to play it because its free with Xbox Gold. Seriously disappointed I didnt buy it before when the price dropped.

From what ive gathered the biggest criticism of the game was that its too easy to just run through rooms swinging your blackjack. I do admit they made the option a little too open with the whole focus upgrades actually stunning/OHKO guards, but if you play like that you literally missed the ENTIRE point of the game.

Everyone is stuck comparing it to Dishonored or Assassins Creed, but the truth is the game is like neither. The Thief series was underway long before either of those two games were even a thought. The dark atmosphere and paths combined with objects to interact with beg for you to take rooms as a thief actually would. You wouldnt expect a thief to run in swinging his Blackjack in the air in real life, so why would you play the game like that? Just because it gives you the option isnt reason enough to give it a bad score.

The game has a really high replay value; not just in collecting treasure youve missed but also playing it using different styles (predator for more knockouts, ghost for no detection, opportunist for using the environment) and its not possible to get two styles awarded in one play through. The game was criticized as being too short, but thats not the case at all. Sure, if you just blast through the main quests you can finish the game in like 7-8 hours, but that would be skipping every side quest/client job on the way which turns the game into a full 30+ hours.

You could also go into Skyrim and blast through the main quests to beat the game in probably 12 hours, or you could play it the right way and get your 100+ hours out of it like the devs intended. In other words, just because you can slam through a game and skip all the side stuff doesnt mean it should be graded poorly; Skyrim wasnt.

I did still find faults, which is why I gave it an 8:

1. I admit the way they designed The City and map for it, it seems like they were designed by separate people who were not allowed to communicate. Very clunky at first, and if you are the type of person that totally relies on the map youre screwed. You are better off just remembering The City's layout by what you see while you are exploring.

2. The soundtrack is overall really done well. Tracks are played at the right time and completely fit the mood. However on the same note of Audio, a lot of the NPC's background dialogues are overused. Theres maybe a total of 30 recorded NPC conversations throughout The City. Trust me, by the end of the game you will know all of them by heart, to the point that its pretty annoying. Not to mention during half the conversations the game glitches and they start the same dialogue over.. and over..

3. Serious FPS dips. Someone else touched on this but I gotta agree that the 30 FPS really hurts this game. Its certainly nowhere near unplayable, but it is pretty disappointing considering the hardware we are using to play it.

That being said, I would easily recommend this game at like 25/30 dollars, which it was lowered to shortly after release. Playing it for free was actually a treat to me, and almost made my purchase of a year of live worth just in itself, and I only really got live to play Halo/Star Wars.

Sadly it seems like theres one self righteous dude on here thats judging all the reviews. Anything over a 5 is getting a "0 of 1 users found this helpful." I fully expect mine to get it as well. Dont let one sour guy judge your decision of giving the game a shot though. I let all the reviewers do that to me and now im regretting it.
  27. Sep 7, 2016
    I must confess my bias. I have played every Thief game in the franchise over the years and thoroughly love them all, despite their occasional problems. On the whole, this iteration is just as, if not more satisfying and shows an evolving improvement in quality overall from previous ones. The mood, atmosphere, graphics, music, storytelling, game mechanics - all of it exceptional in my view.I must confess my bias. I have played every Thief game in the franchise over the years and thoroughly love them all, despite their occasional problems. On the whole, this iteration is just as, if not more satisfying and shows an evolving improvement in quality overall from previous ones. The mood, atmosphere, graphics, music, storytelling, game mechanics - all of it exceptional in my view. A fine, engrossing, immersive, escapist experience. Beautifully done. An artistic and strategic gem that I for one am looking forward to replaying and mastering. Expand

1. Mar 20, 2014
    Thief stumbles in some areas, but purely as a stealth game it does have some shining moments.
  2. Mar 10, 2014
    Satisfying gameplay mechanics and excellent environments and sound design meet an unsound technical production, irritating and overly repetitive character dialogues and a lacklustre enemy AI. Stealth games lovers will still find good elements in the new Thief, but it isn't the triumphant return we'd hoped it would be.
  3. Feb 27, 2014
    And therein lies the game’s real issue. Whereas Dishonored (which does feel like Thief’s more charismatic and popular older brother) and Mark of the Ninja have toyed with established hide-and-seek mechanics and shown that there are still ideas to mine in this genre, Thief just sticks to the shadows.