Army Men: Major Malfunction Xbox

4.0

1. AnonymousMC
    May 18, 2006
    Great Game, but sometimes stupid jump riddles.
  2. Jan 18, 2016
    Glitchy with a horrible camera and blocky graphics? Yes. But a surprisingly fun game under all the lack of production value. Army Men: Major Malfunction may be the last decent console game in the Army Men series, even though it's been panned by critics and fans alike. I personally enjoyed this game, though it's not for all. The Tan army is no longer the main enemy (or even mentioned in theGlitchy with a horrible camera and blocky graphics? Yes. But a surprisingly fun game under all the lack of production value. Army Men: Major Malfunction may be the last decent console game in the Army Men series, even though it's been panned by critics and fans alike. I personally enjoyed this game, though it's not for all. The Tan army is no longer the main enemy (or even mentioned in the game, like anywhere) that said, your enemies are all generic toys you'd see around any kid's room. Transformer-inspired robots, Duplo-inspired 'block-men', karate barbies..... Yeah, welcome to Major Malfunction. While obviously a huge departure for the series, it does make for enemy variety. There is also a much greater emphasis on platforming, forcing you to traverse all the many areas of the 'real world' including the bathroom, the kitchen, the backyard, the shed, and more. This added to enjoyment more than anything to me, as the environments are pretty creative and fun to explore.

Don't get me wrong; Major Malfunction is a very, very problematic game. This is possibly the worst camera I have ever come upon in a video game. The thing will randomly change up angles right in the middle of platforming even. The graphics are also quite flat and blocky, and the story (if you can really call it that) consists of text boxes with muffled groans and growls as speech. Action can get a bit repetitive at times too. I kinda liked the music but it was a very limited soundtrack.

In the end, I'd give this more of a 7 but it has a low enough rating as it is. Major Malfunction is by no means THAT good of a game, but it has redeeming value if you find it cheap. It's a fun little title when approached with the proper expectations. Hope I was helpful.

1. The fact is that it's just not much fun to play. The camera is a headache waiting to happen and the rest of the gameplay mechanics don't fare much better.
  2. Games Master UK
    Tedious in a way we can barely describe, and almost broken in places. Don't buy this. [Sept 2006, p.76]
  3. Official Xbox Magazine UK
    The done-to-death concept and boring missions don't do the game any favours. [July 2006, p.67]