Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance Xbox

8.2

1. Rick
    Mar 2, 2006
    RPG's are always at the top of my list. Myself and an IT guy at work were so excited about the new engine they were developing for Neverwinter Nights on the PC that we watched as many pre-released downloads as we could in anticipation. Sadly though when the game came out the hack n slash repetition bored me, even though the graphics and environments were stellar. The same carries RPG's are always at the top of my list. Myself and an IT guy at work were so excited about the new engine they were developing for Neverwinter Nights on the PC that we watched as many pre-released downloads as we could in anticipation. Sadly though when the game came out the hack n slash repetition bored me, even though the graphics and environments were stellar. The same carries over into Baldurs Gate for the Xbox. Its too linear and there really is no exploration off the beaten track. A monster comes towards you press, press, press its dead! So what? Thats not gaming. I much preferred the original Baldurs Gate titles on the PC to this fare. Disappointed. Having said that I rushed out and hired the second one as soon as it came out in the hope of a better story, better puzzles, greater missions. Its just the same. Im hoping the port over some of the RPG's they have on the PS2 or do I have to wait for the 360? Expand
  2. GeorgeM.
    Jul 29, 2003
    Not quite up to par with the PC games of the same name but a fun slash and crash game. There was not enough quests, and the game was short. Unfortunately every monster on this game can be defeated by chasing them in circles until you are behind them. Still, the game was strangely addicting. Good try, but missed the mark. Hopefully the obvious sequel is longer and more quest driven.

1. A beautiful-looking Dungeons & Dragons-based hack-and-slash that can be played cooperatively with another player. [Feb 2003, p.95]
  2. What really shines through here is the work of extremely talented artists, and the world of Dark Alliance is full of stately detail. [Winter 2002, p.107]
  3. Still, it's immense fun for two players, and the game is easy enough for anyone to pick up and get immersed in. If you like D&D games and are up for some monster killing action, this is your game.