Black Xbox
8.1

1. Aug 19, 2012
    Such an underrated game, people are complaining about things that never troubled them in other games such as: Lack of a built in multiplayer mode/split screen: HL2 has no built in multiplayer/split screen, did we complain? Diffuculty in aiming: Every Valve game had no aiming at all, neither did Doom, or Quake. Nobody complained. Anyway, amazing graphics, decent AI, interesting story,Such an underrated game, people are complaining about things that never troubled them in other games such as: Lack of a built in multiplayer mode/split screen: HL2 has no built in multiplayer/split screen, did we complain? Diffuculty in aiming: Every Valve game had no aiming at all, neither did Doom, or Quake. Nobody complained. Anyway, amazing graphics, decent AI, interesting story, awesome amounts of destruction, and nice sound effects. Expand
  2. Elijah
    Mar 2, 2006
    I picked up this game yesterday from my local gamestop. I was very apprehensive making the purchase knowing from early reviews that the game was very short and the review on gamespot made me very worried that the game would not be worth a purchase. Nevertheless i really wanted this game. So i went home and popped black into my x-box. As the menu screen appeared i couldn't help but I picked up this game yesterday from my local gamestop. I was very apprehensive making the purchase knowing from early reviews that the game was very short and the review on gamespot made me very worried that the game would not be worth a purchase. Nevertheless i really wanted this game. So i went home and popped black into my x-box. As the menu screen appeared i couldn't help but sigh when i saw no multiplayer option. So i started single player on normal difficulty. So this is my take on Black. The opening cutscene, which by the way is a live action cutscene, shows the main character of the game Keller in chains and being grilled by some gov. guy. The plot in Black isn't very involving and the live action cutscenes aren't impressive in the least. So my first impression of the game wasn't an expecially good one. The first thing you'll notice about BLACK as how great the graphics are. The lighting effects and explosions are spectacular. Steadily the game picked up and got better with each level. I wasn't very impressed with the first couple of levels in black. Your stuck using the AK-47 for the first two levels and though there was a good amount to blow up the environments aren't as destructible as i would have hoped. But around the third level is were Black really gets good. You start getting to use the different weapons in the game and i found the majority of them to be very cool. The missions in Black are simple basically you go around shooting terrorists and collecting info. There are a lot of side objectives like finding secret documents and such but none of it's actually required. The action is intense and a hell of a lot of fun. This is another one of Black's strong points. The firefights are loud and intense. The a.i isn't terrible but they don't tend to do much beyond shooting at you and hiding behind combustible objects. The game makes up for some of the a.i's shortcoming by throwing **** load of enemies at you so you'll always have your hands full. There are also friendly soldiers that occasionally accompany you. They shoot at the enemy a lot but unfortunately they don't hit very much. Basically all they are good for as drawing enemy fire. But that won't matter because you should have enough firepower to handle everything yourself because you get a generous amount of ammo from fallen enemies and it is very likely that there will never be a point in the game were your running low on bullets. Enemies also will drop plenty of health kits to keep you going. The weapons in the game look good, sound good, and most of the games 13 weapons are a blast to use. But there are some weapons you simply won't bother to use because you can stick with your basic machine gun and be better off. Some of the explosive weapons in the game really kick ***! The level designs are solid and generally there are ****load of things to blow up. You'll be sending a lot of terrorists flying in every direction thanks to the conveniently placed explosives and rag-doll physics are top notch. Some environments are more destructible than others and some are not as destructible as you would like. Some of the better level designs allow for Matrix Style destruction. The music in the game is actually pretty good but believe or not their is a custom-soundtrack feature in the the x-box versian of black. I was very surprised and delighted that i could listen to my own music in game. As far as i know there never has been a FPS with custom soundtracks, unfortunately most fps's have multiplayer which this game lacks. This blacks largest flaw besides the short campaign. I don't understand how the **** this game can not be multiplayer. Criterion claimed they were going balls out on single player, which granted kicks *** and offers ok replay value. But a six hour campaign that's really going all out! We can only hope that their are future installments of black that include multiplayer and hopefully a longer campaign. Though it isn't likely i hope that maybe jsut maybe Criterion could release an expension to black on the current systems that includes multiplayer and an extended campaign. It is a longshot but there is always hope. Overall is a great FPS that is lot of fun while it lasts. I wouldn't recomend buying this game obviosly because of the short length but i don't regret purchasing BLACK because it is lot fun time and time again but i know it won't last forever. If you do anything you must rent BLACK and experience the hollywood stlye action. I would give BLACK solid B. Expand
  3. ApocalypseBrown
    Mar 8, 2006
    Lewis B shut up! Your comments 'I liked F.E.A.R and FarCry where each enemy was a threat, but you could take them out realistically' is total toilet and shows how little you know about gaming. Everyone has opnions but you can stuff your ramblings! Anyway the game is truly one of the best shooters to grace the genre. Where Doom 3 and Far Cry missed the mark concerning gunplay, Lewis B shut up! Your comments 'I liked F.E.A.R and FarCry where each enemy was a threat, but you could take them out realistically' is total toilet and shows how little you know about gaming. Everyone has opnions but you can stuff your ramblings! Anyway the game is truly one of the best shooters to grace the genre. Where Doom 3 and Far Cry missed the mark concerning gunplay, realism and entertainment, Black simply says to you 'i'll enterainment you more than a rambo movie ever can'! Listen to it because it's right people, yes its short and it not realistic but its an immersive, solid thrill ride that will do everything you allow it to. Graphics and sound are also brillant but the only let downs are no multiplayer and it's length. But Psi-ops was also short but look how good that turned out to be! It would have got nine but with no multiplayer it gets a higher 8. P.s.check out Psi-ops, Oddworld Strangers Wrath and Chronicles of Riddick as all are equal par to this. Lastly Lewis wasn't Red Faction 2 only 7 hours to clock? Exactly so think before you write! Collapse
  4. Moco
    Feb 2, 2006
    Wow. I thought this game would be ok, but the graphics are REALLY good, better than I expected. I just got finished playing a pre-cert build, and it is freaking cool to play on a big screen in surround. surprised that you can't play on a 360 though. bummer.
  5. JohnL.
    Mar 1, 2006
    This game is AMAZING from the moment I started it I was blown away it has all the intensity of what makes Counter strike so popular, but has a cool story line...Ive heard the game is short but even after I finish it Im going to finish it on the hardest setting which gives it some replay value..With the lack of games coming out for 360 this game is proving that with the right studio This game is AMAZING from the moment I started it I was blown away it has all the intensity of what makes Counter strike so popular, but has a cool story line...Ive heard the game is short but even after I finish it Im going to finish it on the hardest setting which gives it some replay value..With the lack of games coming out for 360 this game is proving that with the right studio (Criterion) there is still plenty of life left in the older systems.. if possible, play this game with LOUD audio. It is intense!!!!! If you have to wear headphones do it!because your missing out if you have to listen to this game through conventional tv speakers...enjoy and blow lots of s*** up. Expand
  6. Walls
    Mar 3, 2006
    I wish there was more games like this. This is one of those games that gets it right. This game has the best sound I have ever heard, out of any game. The score is amazing, the ambiance is terrific. The graphics are outstanding, as is the lighting. The only two bad things about this game is that is it pretty short, and there is no multi-player.
  7. ErikT.
    Mar 4, 2006
    This is a great game if you like to shoot and blow stuff up. However, if you're looking for an involving storyline and thick plot, maybe you should play Metal Gear Solid. But as far as straight up shooters go, this game is one of the best.
  8. LewisB.
    Mar 7, 2006
    I just rented this game and it is SHORT. A decent rental, but not much else. I don't get the reviewer claiming the first 1 1/2 levels was 2 hours and only 2% of the game. My total time is 2 hours and I'm on mission 5 (of 8). The percentage isn't a % of story completed, its a % of little side objectives (You have maybe 3 main objectives in a level on normal, and like 15 I just rented this game and it is SHORT. A decent rental, but not much else. I don't get the reviewer claiming the first 1 1/2 levels was 2 hours and only 2% of the game. My total time is 2 hours and I'm on mission 5 (of 8). The percentage isn't a % of story completed, its a % of little side objectives (You have maybe 3 main objectives in a level on normal, and like 15 secondary ones, plus more if you're on a harder difficulty). It's just an average shooter at best. The environments aren't nearly as destructable as I'd like. I was hoping for a really intense version of Red Faction with fully descructable environments and what I got was a watered down version of Call of Duty. There are very limited things to blow up. The guns are what you'd find in any other game and limited in which ones are actually effective. And yes it does take a full clip (60 bullets) to kill most enemies. I liked F.E.A.R and FarCry where each enemy was a threat, but you could take them out realistically. The graphics, music and sound are very nice, though. One other thing, the story line is really lame and uses live (bad) actors and you can't skip these scenes! All I want to do is play the game and you have to sit there for ten minutes while these two hard arses talk it up. Don't care, don't care, don't care. If you want to play it RENT IT! Expand
  9. PITCHSHIFTERBeavis
    Mar 8, 2006
    I can't beleive the last 2 reviews , a little advice aim for the head one head shot the enemy is down with a thud if you notice they are wearing body armor that's why a head shot is ideal. Great shooter ,total destruction good A.I. and fantastic graphics. Don't care if its short good popcorn game for what it delivers it's one of the best out there, a little blood and I can't beleive the last 2 reviews , a little advice aim for the head one head shot the enemy is down with a thud if you notice they are wearing body armor that's why a head shot is ideal. Great shooter ,total destruction good A.I. and fantastic graphics. Don't care if its short good popcorn game for what it delivers it's one of the best out there, a little blood and gore would have been a bonus and maybe a jump button would have been nice. The only thing i hate is the auto save checkpoints the levels are huge!!1 and if you go down you will have to make up alot of ground. Go get this , can't beleive it's not on the 360!!! Expand
  10. TehanuA.
    Apr 23, 2006
    This is one of the best FPS for the XBox. No matter what! The enemys are actuallya big threat( cough cough Lewis B. cough cough). I gave it a mark down, not becaus eof the game play, but of how short it is. The story is O.K./ playable. If you want to njust shoot at something that will shoot back at you. . . then here is your game.
  11. JaredM.
    Apr 7, 2006
    The game really is not that great. 1 it has no multiplayer or Xbox Live, 2 storyline in the game kind of sucks. But over all if you are looking for a pure first person shooter, Black is one that you might consider.
  12. GregJ.
    Dec 7, 2007
    Mundane - bored me very quickly, by which time it was over anyway.
  13. JonG
    Mar 8, 2009
    I absolutely love this game. I live to play 1st person shooters and this is one of the best. It is an over the top action thrill ride from beginning to end. Well it does have faults. No multiplayer, short length of campaign, and a flat storyline. I haven't encountered any bad glitches. Just love the way the game plays. Excellent!
  14. Puck
    Feb 28, 2006
    Quite frankly I am enjoying this game more than Call of Duty 2 for 360. Are there things EA could improve for next time? Yes, as is always the case (checkpoints issue, multi-player). Still, one of the better FPS I have played and they have added some new elements to the genre.
  15. KrisP.
    Mar 14, 2006
    An overall good shooter that does well in the gameplay. The controls are sollid and there really isn't much strategy involved. It's just aim and shoot, and might not even have to aim. It is a good shooter "from the maker of Burnout", but seriously stick to racing games.
  16. CarloS.
    Mar 29, 2006
    its cool but not better than fable, but this game still has power and graphics are nice!
  17. ChipL.
    Mar 4, 2006
    This game was a total let down. The graphics and sounds were very good, although the lighting was always a bit off. The gameplay was godawful. You could empty a clip into a bad guy and he'd still be coming at you. This game wasn't even worth renting.
  18. MakA.
    Mar 13, 2006
    the thing that killed me was everyone is wearing type iiia or type iv armor. these eastern europeans speaking russian and german get along great and are loaded with cash. the small arms are typical and really doesn't stand out. going cyclic would destroy the targets even in armor. the exposed regions would be hit, even then when the projectiles hit the ceramic plate it could render the thing that killed me was everyone is wearing type iiia or type iv armor. these eastern europeans speaking russian and german get along great and are loaded with cash. the small arms are typical and really doesn't stand out. going cyclic would destroy the targets even in armor. the exposed regions would be hit, even then when the projectiles hit the ceramic plate it could render it useless. the a.i. in black is dumb as a log. if you miss your target, they stand there until you reach a trigger point i.e.: frag grenade misses by several feet. the destructable environment sn't impressive, it takes a lot more than small arms fire to reduce a buildings wall to ruble. the explosions are yeah, yeah, yeah. the only thing black has going for it is the premission cut scene, it looks like an S2 recorded interogation (hence the rating of 4). Expand
  19. BodK.
    Aug 16, 2006
    Said soooo many times - this is Burnout revenge morphed in to a FPS - Brilliant!!
  20. CarlS.
    Jun 15, 2007
    Great game!, action, bullets, nice weapons, good amount of unlockable stuff. only the lack of good A.I. may be a problem, but, whit the number of enemies it rly doesnt matter. good shooter.
  21. WilliamT.
    Jan 21, 2008
    It's not perfect, no, but Black has enough guns, explosions and military men dropping the F-Bomb to satisfy any casual gamer. The kinda short storyline and little-variety gameplay let it down a little though.
  22. Jan 8, 2011
    This FPS released in the twilight days of the original Xbox can be played on the Xbox360 as well. Although the game is quite short, each of the missions can take about an hour or so to complete. so it's not a game you can pick up for only a short session because although there are respawn points, you cannot save the game during a mission. The game places you in some epic firefights, andThis FPS released in the twilight days of the original Xbox can be played on the Xbox360 as well. Although the game is quite short, each of the missions can take about an hour or so to complete. so it's not a game you can pick up for only a short session because although there are respawn points, you cannot save the game during a mission. The game places you in some epic firefights, and the enemies are incredible hard to kill in terms of how many bullets it takes to kill them (headshots notwithstanding) and also in terms of some very good AI at times. These gun-fights are rarely bested by rushing the enemy, so a more tactical approach is required. Gameplay wise it holds up remarkably well even by 2010 standards. A worthwhile game to play Expand

1. Its shortcomings are overwhelmed entirely by pure, unrelenting fun from beginning to end, with enough multiple routes on the levels to warrant at least a couple of plays through.
  2. It's worth playing for its grueling gunfights and beautiful, combustible environments; just don't expect anything earth-shattering.
  3. Criterion's ability to make the technology and design of games seem harmonious is a significant strength in an industry where few can pull it off... Black is a fiery example of what can result. [Mar 2006, p.82]