• Publisher: Tecmo
  • Release Date: Nov 14, 2001
8.5

1. JoM.
    Apr 5, 2003
    Very solid game, there is no fighting game yet better than DOA3. I love DOA3!!!
  2. TenshiK.
    Mar 17, 2002
    This a great game, much than any other 2 on 2 game I played.
  3. EllenN.
    Mar 6, 2002
    Great graphics, it's at the top of my list. The moves slide together perfect. Good chararacters too. GO AYANE.
  4. Wiseman
    Aug 12, 2002
    The most beautiful version of the best fighting game franchise. The fighting system is much more dynamic than the dial-a-combo fighters out there. The best multiplayer game since Street Fighter 2. Only the short singleplayer experience saves this one from 10.
  5. PatrickH.
    Oct 5, 2003
    Very good game!!!
  6. BobB.
    Sep 19, 2003
    Absolutely...the best fighting game!!!
  7. Mike
    May 28, 2004
    Graphics that make other games feel shame.
  8. StephenS.
    Dec 30, 2001
    The gameplay, graphics, and sound are aallwesome, but it does have one major flaw. The storyline isn't very deep. It'd be nice if you could learn a bit more about the characters.
  9. ElliottW.
    Jan 8, 2002
    It's awesome, plain and simple. It is the best 3D fighting game I've ever played! the graphics are unbelievable, and the other two aren't bad either! The characters are very detailed, as well as the environments. Everything about this game is perfect, except for how short the storylines are. That's the only downside.
  10. StealthK.
    Aug 16, 2002
    This game is a lot of fun. A perfect game for Xbox. Fun gameplay good graphics and the girls...yeah.
  11. GameBreaker
    Jul 25, 2004
    This game is still the best fighter on any system and it is 2 1/2 years old. Tekken and Soul Caliber come close but the lack of realistic backgrounds and first generation PS2 graphics are not acceptable. This game is a lot easier to play with the original controller than the S-controller because of the different d-pad designs. Wish I could find the booster disc from 2 years ago though for This game is still the best fighter on any system and it is 2 1/2 years old. Tekken and Soul Caliber come close but the lack of realistic backgrounds and first generation PS2 graphics are not acceptable. This game is a lot easier to play with the original controller than the S-controller because of the different d-pad designs. Wish I could find the booster disc from 2 years ago though for more costumes and movies. Oh well, Tecmo said Ulimate will come with DOA 1 with it's original engine, DOA 2 with the updated DOA 3 engine and the booster disc extras from 2 years ago. Finally, all DOA's on one system and DOA 4 next year, probably on XBOX 2. Officially can't wait! Expand
  12. RudyT.
    May 9, 2005
    This is a true masterpiece in the fighting genre. The graphics are incredible, the environments are detailed. It rocks! The gameplay at heart is responsive and works to the player's advantage. The selection of characters is varied and all of them are detailed. I would reccomend buying the Platinum Hit for $20. With environments you can interact with, it's a great purchase.
  13. RobertR.
    Jan 31, 2002
    Best fighting game on any of the consoles.
  14. DavidM.
    Sep 14, 2003
    This is a fine fighting game, and a great way to spend a beery evening with friends. Lush visuals and more options than anyone could handle give it longevity and a fantastic gaming experience.
  15. JarrodR.
    Dec 26, 2001
    Think this is one of the most kick ass games I have ever played...The girls are f.....g hot too.
  16. EstefanoH.
    Nov 13, 2002
    This game is perfect for play with varius friends.... It is better than virtual fighter 4 :)
  17. GaborA.
    Nov 12, 2003
    The most recent game to blister my fingers from so much and so involved gaming since Killer Instinct for the SNES.
  18. Mar 18, 2017
    Good fighter but being on xbox only hurt it... No one likes the dpad on the xbox controller for fighting games. You might be able to find a decent controller for this game nowadays but at the time the d pad was too frustrating to use compared to DOA2HC's ps2 dpad.

Fix that problem and this game would be a 9.
  19. Jul 23, 2017
    The last best Dead or Alive game in the series.

The last best Dead or Alive game in the series.

The graphics looked amazing back in 2001 and still look good today. The music fits every character to perfection. I'd love to own the soundtrack. The sound remains unchanged from Dead Or Alive 2 but more refined. The gameplay had a massive overhaul in terms of juggling, combos and damage balancing. It was the first fighting game to have destructible and interactive environments on a sixth generation console. The wall bounce mechanic was awesome and the hold system was improved to be more simplistic over Dead Or Alive 2's hold mechanics. The gameplay was fun, even on different modes. Three new characters are added: Hitomi, Christie, Brad Wong. Hitomi is a clone of Ein, Christie is a badass assassin and Brad Wong is a drunken master.

The main flaws with the game are that it's too short and its lack of good unlockable content apart from Ein from Dead Or Alive 2 and costumes for every character. It's a chore unlocking all the costumes. This is what brings the game down.

If the game was released on PS2 rather than on the Original Xbox which it originally was a launch title for and give it the "Hardcore" treatment from Dead Or Alive 2, it would be the perfect fighting game.

Overall I give the game a 9 out of 10. I recommend you play it.

#3 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2001
#11 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2001

1. A perfect game for "guy's night" at home.
  2. Xbox Nation Magazine
    There is very little here that we would describe as new, original, or subtle. [Jan 2002, p.76]
  3. Official Xbox Magazine