• Publisher: Tecmo
  • Release Date: Oct 26, 2004
8.6

1. Apr 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 6 Word review: Great for baby-stepping into DOA fighting.

If you have an XBox and willing want to try DOA, this is the game. The biggest purchase will be for DOA2. Looking back to DOA 3 & 4, this game will help many newcomers to the DOA series. The basics off all DOA games will stem back from this game: attacks, throws and holds all stem back to this game. THERE IS AN EASY MODE! When I bought this years ago, I started on Easy mode and slowly upped myself in difficulty. As I upped the difficulty, my skill would slowly increase. Don't expect that you'll be good in a short amount of time. Instead expect small advances in your skill: tried Normal, proficient at holds, mastered someone different.

1. Varied play modes such as tag and survival, plus countless unlockable items, add further appeal. But the lack of new moves or characters is disappointing.
  2. Entertaining, but not for the hardcore fighting fan. Every move is very easy to pull off, it's more a matter of learning the best combos, and what each character will throw at you so you can properly defend yourself.
    Did we really need a third version of Dead or Alive 2? Probably not, and we definitely didn't need more DOA 1. But, for diehard fight fans and online junkies, Ultimate is worth a look.