8.1

1. LeonardH.
    Mar 1, 2004
    On the pick and roll the picks need to be more exact, and the players ability should decrease as their energy decreases during the game. Other than that the game is good in my eyes.
  2. AndrewH.
    Dec 6, 2003
    The gameplay is still too unrealistic. Pros: The isomotion is the best new feature to the game. Moves around the paint (such as the up-and-under) also have been added. Cons: Scoring and dunks are way too easy around the paint. Any player with a dunk rating over 50 can easily dunk outside of the paint(over 3 people), or if they make any move towards the basket while in traffic. The people The gameplay is still too unrealistic. Pros: The isomotion is the best new feature to the game. Moves around the paint (such as the up-and-under) also have been added. Cons: Scoring and dunks are way too easy around the paint. Any player with a dunk rating over 50 can easily dunk outside of the paint(over 3 people), or if they make any move towards the basket while in traffic. The people still run "through" others(bodies going through bodies, arms slashing through arms), which is still a sega programming problem I noticed from NFL & NBA 2k3. Injured players that play are annoying. Players with pulled hamstrings will hobble up the court on offense, but can still do 360 dunks. While on defense, they can still play 1on1 defense drawing charges. I'm going to rent NBA Live and wait for 2k5 to come out. Expand
  3. SeanR.
    Oct 20, 2003
    Speechless.
  4. EfrainA.
    Oct 27, 2003
    The gameplay, graphics, sound, everything is so cool, greatest, but................ Where is Michael Jordan?
  5. BobB.
    Mar 20, 2004
    The game sucks, go out and get NBA Live 2004, it kicks ass, but dont get it on PS2 b/c PS2 online basketball games have a rather slowing down to it.
  6. CharlesV.
    Oct 14, 2003
    This game is what basketball is all about. ESPN Basketball is faster better and more realistic. Live 2004 is a good compitition but ESPN basketball will always win
  7. JustinS.
    Oct 15, 2003
    it's alot better than live 2004,its just more real. live 2004 looks like a cartoon compared to nba 2k4.
  8. FrankK
    Oct 19, 2003
    With new features, graphics, and in depth controls, not to mention online play also with new deep features, it's obvious to see, the 2k series has elevated once again.
  9. HiggensE.
    Oct 23, 2003
    This games is much better then live, everyone needs to break the tradition of buying NBA live since they were 8 yrs old, and grow up and play man's game.
  10. DallasH.
    Oct 24, 2003
    The best game on the friggen market.
  11. FreshSmooth
    Oct 25, 2003
    NBA live has improved ALOT!! this year however 2k4 has the slight edge over it. Live has too many noticable flaws Compared to 2k where the main flaws are charges, too many high flyers, and too many blocks. Which all can be ajusted usign game play sliders enabling u to create the most realistic game ever. Bottom line is if you want arcade go with Live, IF U WANT THE REAL thing u see on TV NBA live has improved ALOT!! this year however 2k4 has the slight edge over it. Live has too many noticable flaws Compared to 2k where the main flaws are charges, too many high flyers, and too many blocks. Which all can be ajusted usign game play sliders enabling u to create the most realistic game ever. Bottom line is if you want arcade go with Live, IF U WANT THE REAL thing u see on TV go with 2k. 9.6 for 2k and 9 for live. Expand
  12. BenL.
    Feb 16, 2004
    Good game, but just one point i'd like to make. I was playing against the LAkers when Shaq hit 14/22 from the free throw line which equates to a 63% strike rate. Now it's common knowledge of course that Shaq hits 54.23% at the line. Now what's up with that. So yeah, otherwise great game.
  13. SkyairS.
    Feb 8, 2004
    It is still the best basketball game out there but where is Jordan is my first question. All the silly little awards you get for completing stupid challenges. Who really needs 3 teams of desingers and computer programers. Menu colors are other items you win I think 5 of them. To many charges also I can't perform Iso Motion because of a fear of getting charges. And why can I still not It is still the best basketball game out there but where is Jordan is my first question. All the silly little awards you get for completing stupid challenges. Who really needs 3 teams of desingers and computer programers. Menu colors are other items you win I think 5 of them. To many charges also I can't perform Iso Motion because of a fear of getting charges. And why can I still not see all of my players attributes on the substitution menu. Other than all of these little problems that can be fixed by someone who actually plays basketball the gameplay is pretty good. Expand
  14. BennyL.
    Mar 1, 2004
    When will Sega get it right? The AI of Shaquille O'Neal is so unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, I like ESPN (see previous review) but I mean c'mon. How can it be possible for Shaq to average 24.2 rebounds per game when every normal person knows his career average is 12.9? I played though 3 career 82 game seasons just to make sure it wasn't a glitch in the AI, but sure When will Sega get it right? The AI of Shaquille O'Neal is so unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, I like ESPN (see previous review) but I mean c'mon. How can it be possible for Shaq to average 24.2 rebounds per game when every normal person knows his career average is 12.9? I played though 3 career 82 game seasons just to make sure it wasn't a glitch in the AI, but sure enough he maintained that ridiculous average. So yeah, apart from that it's not bad hey? Expand
  15. MatthieuR.
    Nov 4, 2003
    Could have been a really great game. Amazing graphics and animations, cool new game modes, slick presentations and deep career mode are all good. Incredibly limited and frustrating camera angles are not so good, as is the unforgivable dearth of plays in your playbook. The Isomotion also feels a bit gimmicky. The best news, however is that the quirky and maddening passing glitches from 2K3 Could have been a really great game. Amazing graphics and animations, cool new game modes, slick presentations and deep career mode are all good. Incredibly limited and frustrating camera angles are not so good, as is the unforgivable dearth of plays in your playbook. The Isomotion also feels a bit gimmicky. The best news, however is that the quirky and maddening passing glitches from 2K3 are gone! Expand
  16. JeffT.
    Oct 24, 2003
    Everybody should go get this game!!! Real basketball fans will love and appreciate this game.
  17. RyanB.
    Oct 25, 2003
    Should have been better. Unrealistic play (point guards commiting goal tends, shooting guards averaging 13 rebounds a game, 9 charges drawn in the first quarter), this game needs polish. While still better than Live then basketball gendre has to improve to keep people interested.
  18. MarcusB.
    Oct 26, 2003
    Hey Ryan B.: all those problems can be fixed by adjusting the sliders in the menu option. All of them. Great game!
  19. NathanJ.
    Oct 27, 2003
    Tight game, but really misses the adjustable zoom and camera angles.Sliders take care of everything else. Would have been a perfect 10 but definitely a 9+.
  20. JimboC
    Feb 29, 2004
    Guys, come on. How can you guys rate this game 9's and 10's. The game is terrible. I cant set my camera settings at all, which you were able to the past 2k series. The team averages 40 shot attempts per quarter, and all of the players shoot the same way. I am just stunned that you partnas think that this game is great. Youre killing me here. THE GAME IS BROKE, UNREAL!!!!!!!!

1. Of all the anouncers in the world, ESPN utilizes the unfailingly annoying Kevin Frazier. [Dec/Jan 2004, p.84]
  2. Features a fantastic franchise mode and a completely different 24/7 mode, making this game the two best basketball games available in one neat package.
  3. Minor gripes aside, Visual Concepts has elevanted its game to an untouchable level. "Live" really has nothing on it. [Nov 2003, p.170]