8.1

1. AndrewH.
    Dec 6, 2003
    The gameplay is still too unrealistic. Pros: The isomotion is the best new feature to the game. Moves around the paint (such as the up-and-under) also have been added. Cons: Scoring and dunks are way too easy around the paint. Any player with a dunk rating over 50 can easily dunk outside of the paint(over 3 people), or if they make any move towards the basket while in traffic. The people The gameplay is still too unrealistic. Pros: The isomotion is the best new feature to the game. Moves around the paint (such as the up-and-under) also have been added. Cons: Scoring and dunks are way too easy around the paint. Any player with a dunk rating over 50 can easily dunk outside of the paint(over 3 people), or if they make any move towards the basket while in traffic. The people still run "through" others(bodies going through bodies, arms slashing through arms), which is still a sega programming problem I noticed from NFL & NBA 2k3. Injured players that play are annoying. Players with pulled hamstrings will hobble up the court on offense, but can still do 360 dunks. While on defense, they can still play 1on1 defense drawing charges. I'm going to rent NBA Live and wait for 2k5 to come out. Expand
  2. BenL.
    Feb 16, 2004
    Good game, but just one point i'd like to make. I was playing against the LAkers when Shaq hit 14/22 from the free throw line which equates to a 63% strike rate. Now it's common knowledge of course that Shaq hits 54.23% at the line. Now what's up with that. So yeah, otherwise great game.
  3. BennyL.
    Mar 1, 2004
    When will Sega get it right? The AI of Shaquille O'Neal is so unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, I like ESPN (see previous review) but I mean c'mon. How can it be possible for Shaq to average 24.2 rebounds per game when every normal person knows his career average is 12.9? I played though 3 career 82 game seasons just to make sure it wasn't a glitch in the AI, but sure When will Sega get it right? The AI of Shaquille O'Neal is so unrealistic. Don't get me wrong, I like ESPN (see previous review) but I mean c'mon. How can it be possible for Shaq to average 24.2 rebounds per game when every normal person knows his career average is 12.9? I played though 3 career 82 game seasons just to make sure it wasn't a glitch in the AI, but sure enough he maintained that ridiculous average. So yeah, apart from that it's not bad hey? Expand
  4. RyanB.
    Oct 25, 2003
    Should have been better. Unrealistic play (point guards commiting goal tends, shooting guards averaging 13 rebounds a game, 9 charges drawn in the first quarter), this game needs polish. While still better than Live then basketball gendre has to improve to keep people interested.

1. Of all the anouncers in the world, ESPN utilizes the unfailingly annoying Kevin Frazier. [Dec/Jan 2004, p.84]
  2. Features a fantastic franchise mode and a completely different 24/7 mode, making this game the two best basketball games available in one neat package.
  3. Minor gripes aside, Visual Concepts has elevanted its game to an untouchable level. "Live" really has nothing on it. [Nov 2003, p.170]