Fable Xbox
8.5

1. Apr 8, 2013
    One of the best game I've ever played. Learning curve is very well balanced, the game bring you in the world of fun and you are then addicted to it. Graphic and voice are all immersive. You cannot miss this experience.
  2. Mar 3, 2014
    Ignore the low scores. Most people who give this game low scores has literally given every other great game low scores as well. This game is one of if not the most replayable game of all time. You can create so many different characters and choose different combat styles each and every time. I've played the same way through probably 5 times and still love it. I played it when it firstIgnore the low scores. Most people who give this game low scores has literally given every other great game low scores as well. This game is one of if not the most replayable game of all time. You can create so many different characters and choose different combat styles each and every time. I've played the same way through probably 5 times and still love it. I played it when it first came out and still play it now (2014). The combat multiplier is great and so is the fighting. It uses the "z targeting" that Zelda: Ocarina of Time implemented. I recommned this game to anyone. Give it a legitimate chance and you will love it. Expand
  3. Jan 6, 2011
    well this was suppose to be the end all be all of RPg's coming out back in the day. i remember hearing all the things you where gona be able to do in it and how every story on this game was building it up saying 5 years in develpment and there is gona be so much to do! well it was all BS! what we got was a game that takes 10 hours to beat 12-13 hours if you do every thing in the game . awell this was suppose to be the end all be all of RPg's coming out back in the day. i remember hearing all the things you where gona be able to do in it and how every story on this game was building it up saying 5 years in develpment and there is gona be so much to do! well it was all BS! what we got was a game that takes 10 hours to beat 12-13 hours if you do every thing in the game . a simplistic hack and slash combat system with a GOD AWFUL lock on system . a story that is pretty dull and 2 lame endings.a very small world to explore . the going of good or evil really means nothing out side of some rude gestures you can make and the way your charicter looks. the graphics do look good . the enchantments on wepons is cool as it also makes the wepon look sick and give it bonus damage . this game is playable dont get me wrong but its a piss poor mediocore RPG that looses alot of points for all the lies the develpores have spread on what this game was gona pull off. as far as RPG's go you could find alot more RPG;s that are far better then this . Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2011
    After playing and enjoying Fable II and hearing from just about everyone how the first Fable was better, I couldn't wait to pick this up and enjoy the ultimate Fable experience. It didn't happen. The game has a better storyline than the sequal, I'll grant that, but the graphics, combat, magic and ambiguous inventory system says to me that it needs to stay in the previous Xbox generation ofAfter playing and enjoying Fable II and hearing from just about everyone how the first Fable was better, I couldn't wait to pick this up and enjoy the ultimate Fable experience. It didn't happen. The game has a better storyline than the sequal, I'll grant that, but the graphics, combat, magic and ambiguous inventory system says to me that it needs to stay in the previous Xbox generation of games. Over all, the choices given to you are rather simple and have too much in black or white consequences, it doesn't have the same humor as the sequel and the npc interaction is only a quarter of what you are able to do in Fable II. This game really didn't invoke any emotion from me at all. It might have been great and revolutionary when it came out in2004, but personally it left me rolling my eyes Expand
  5. Aug 18, 2013
    All the positive reviews for this game make me loose hope in humanity. This was a very bad game.. By no means was it good. The story was awful, and the good and evil aspect was very poorly implemented. The only reason it sold as massively as it did was due to the insanely over hyped advertisement campaign. The game did not in any way live up to a single one of its boasted features.

When

When I see this many positive reviews for what was a very bad game I call shenanigans.
  6. Jun 1, 2012
    What does the feel like many years after the overhyping? Well, not great, but not terrible either. The story is very uninteresting and the hyped things about good and evil could have been made a lot more important aspect to the game. It doesn't affect story at all, which is a shame. Now it's just more like a simple detail. The story is too short and doesn't allow you to continue afterWhat does the feel like many years after the overhyping? Well, not great, but not terrible either. The story is very uninteresting and the hyped things about good and evil could have been made a lot more important aspect to the game. It doesn't affect story at all, which is a shame. Now it's just more like a simple detail. The story is too short and doesn't allow you to continue after having completed it (You can only continue with your previous save files). It does have a logical reason though.

The combat is good though and I like the way of leveling up. Instead of leveling up, you earn XP for specific skills, which are earned in different ways (By using magic, close combat, ranged combat). The game is still too easy though. The game is worth trying. It doesn't amaze you, but it's still worth trying.
  7. Jan 17, 2012
    If it's hype over freedom and mechanics hadn't been so incredibly hyped I might of been able to enjoy the game more. It's a linear game and way too kiddy. It does have some imaginative ideas in it though and is solid in it's gameplay. Also, too easy.
  8. Mar 6, 2011
    While the graphics do show a LOT of age and the controls are bad, this is still a game that is a lot of fun, the story is awesome, as is the feel of the world, it has some really fun quests, and cool locations, characters, and weapons, if you like RPGs and have an Xbox you should get this game.
  9. Jul 20, 2011
    Fable is a game of ambition and is partly successful in it. The setting is great but feels very limited as there is little chance to go off the beaten track. The combat, magic and archery skills give the game a nice variety and give it replay value. The plot is largely forgettable, although the game makes the effort to keep it there regardless. The degree of choice you are given is niceFable is a game of ambition and is partly successful in it. The setting is great but feels very limited as there is little chance to go off the beaten track. The combat, magic and archery skills give the game a nice variety and give it replay value. The plot is largely forgettable, although the game makes the effort to keep it there regardless. The degree of choice you are given is nice but it would be preferable if it was not so linear. For example, the right and wrong choice are always clearly defined, with no ambiguous gray area to make players really think about their next move. The game is over too quickly, with the ending feeling rushed. Expand
  10. Jun 10, 2013
    Due to years in development and endless promises from creator Peter Molyneux about reinventing the role playing genre Fable arrived on the Xbox amongst a huge amount of hype and anticipation. In the end the title ended up as a cross between an RPG and an adventure title that removes many of the more complex character levelling elements found in PC titles and instead focuses on creating anDue to years in development and endless promises from creator Peter Molyneux about reinventing the role playing genre Fable arrived on the Xbox amongst a huge amount of hype and anticipation. In the end the title ended up as a cross between an RPG and an adventure title that removes many of the more complex character levelling elements found in PC titles and instead focuses on creating an open world playground for the player to inhabit. As a result the game is far more accessible to the average gamer.

That is not to say however that the game completely lacks any of the features associated with RPGs. For example completing quests and defeating enemies provides coloured orbs that help improve your players magic etc and different weapons and armour can be equipped to improve your characters abilities. Plenty of side quests are also provided and the player is free to choose whether they wish to veer towards good or evil when tackling these in the same way that Mass Effect of Star Wars: KOTOR allows.

While the main quest helps to pull the play along it is the open for exploration world of Albion that is perhaps the games defining feature. Villages, forests and mountains are always full of life and the characters that inhabit these places are full of verve and no shortage of charm. With plenty of mini-games available as well as the option to buy properties, get married and even start a family it is easy to find yourself spending hours just seeing what you can discover.

While Fable is not exactly the revolution that was promised, it is still one of the best RPGs available on the Xbox and will certainly satisfy those looking for fast paced game with a little more depth and freedom than your average action title.
  11. Nov 15, 2012
    This is a fantastic western RPG and easily one of the best games on the original Xbox. While other games have imitated many of the original Fable's mechanics, this game still feels fresh years later. Here are my 2 cents on it:

Pros -Story: Simply amazing. The plot is simple but the way it was told was unrivaled at the time. Lots of colorful side quests as well. -Atmosphere: Fable

Pros
    -Atmosphere: Fable somehow makes the fantasy setting feel fresh and unique. The game has a sense of wonder and discovery that few games manage to capture, including the later installments in the series.
    -Combat System: Its not the most complex combat system, but its one of the most enjoyable. The skills and leveling system fits the warrior/rogue/mage fantasy archetypes, but most players will eventually end up being all 3. Huge variety in weapons and spells. Enchanting weapons adds an extra layer to the game and certain spells can switch things up.
    -Side stuff: Marrying multiple wives, buying and renting properties, playing the gambling games, and large number of side quests.
    -Musical score: honestly, just YouTube the music.

Cons
    -Game length: its a little on the short side for a western rpg. Don't believe the exaggerators saying its only 9hrs; story is 12hrs and you can get 7 extra hours of side stuff. Still short compared to the sprawling open worlders. Grab the game with the expansion and you can tack on a few hours.
    -Linear: Not necessarily a fault in most games, but Fable tries to ride the line between open world and being linear. The game is pretty open and nonrestrictive, but level design doesn't allow for a lot of exploration.
    -Combat: Simple. The variety of spells and enchantments try to make up for this but the combat is simplistic at its core. Difficulty is also a bit low for gamers that like a challenge. Still, more challenging and complex than the two sequels in this respect.
    -Broken Economy system: No matter how you play you'll end up with more money than you can spend. Making some evil choices for money will make this even more apparent. Being able to buy whatever you need along with an easy combat system can make the game a bit of a cake walk.
    -Customization: Only reason this is on here is that you can't choose gender, race, or facial features. Of course, the later games only alleviates the first problem. Otherwise customization is a strong point.

The game has its positive and negatives but its honestly an amazing experience and I think it definitely deserves a higher metacritic score. Even if you disagree, pick it up on amazon for PC. Its $15 for the expansion pack edition Fable: The Lost Chapter. Its definitely worth the price
  12. Nov 6, 2011
    MY GOD! Nothing i have ever played yet can match the originality and pure fun possessed by fable. Combat multipliers, tattoos getting drunk! Still lionhead studios cannot create such an experience worthy of their name. Out of all the game in the universe THIS one deserves a perfect 10!
  13. Dec 27, 2011
    Really over hyped but its still a good game and is one of my favorite RPGs out there. The story was alright but a bit too generic. The combat was fun and addicting. There were plenty of quests to do as well as other things that kept you busy through out. I enjoyed it.
  14. Apr 5, 2012
    Fable isn't the most amazing game out but it is still a good game. I've had a lot of fun playing it over and over again. The combat still holds up today but the quests can be a clunky. Gets an 8 from me, a worthy purchase.
  15. May 15, 2012
    If only it wasan't so easy this would be a perfect RPG, however the fact that i got this game when it first came out and im still playing it now shows just how good it is
  16. Apr 19, 2013
    This was the game that convinced me to get an Xbox. Such a fresh idea and so well executed. A bit short with a lack luster ending, but thanks to the Lost chapters, it is now a complete game. Great visuals, great storytelling and a total joy to experience. But, on the negative side, I did feel the story was a bit directionless at times, at times the game felt morel like a collection of sideThis was the game that convinced me to get an Xbox. Such a fresh idea and so well executed. A bit short with a lack luster ending, but thanks to the Lost chapters, it is now a complete game. Great visuals, great storytelling and a total joy to experience. But, on the negative side, I did feel the story was a bit directionless at times, at times the game felt morel like a collection of side quests. Also your character's aging happens far to fast and it does get a bit unbelievable that a 80 year old man would be in that kind of physical shape (not impossible, but also not really plausible.)

Overall:
    Fable 1 was a great start to the franchise. It was flawed and far from perfect, but had enough charm and character to make it stand out.
  17. Aug 8, 2014
    You're a hero. Your family is killed. You have to avenge their deaths and stop a guy named Jack from obtaining a powerful, world ending sword. OK. So, this is an action RPG, the first in one of three games. It's a fun game, but not the greatest in the world. It has a lot of errors and there are general hair pulling tasks. Also, the save system is just terrible.

But it's not without its

But it's not without its merit. This is the father of Fable II which is one of my favorite games of all time. Check it out.
  18. Nov 12, 2014
    This game is better than its successor in only one regard: the story. And that's not saying much. In every other regard it falls short. It's clunky, uninteresting and leaves very little lasting impression.

I honestly believe this game is way over-hyped simply because it attempted to take RPGs to a new place. Unfortunately, that new place isn't exactly as shiny as they claimed it would be.

There are some fun bits, like the arena, but mostly it's a slog-fest. I'd recommend giving Fable a try just to see if you like the style of gameplay, but I wouldn't recommend buying the game until you know.
  19. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese a que fue muy criticado, me parece un juego entretenido. Con una historia, que pese a tener diversos cuellos de botella, sigue manteniendo al usuario interesado y con una jugabilidad ajustada. Tal vez hubo demasiadas promesas, aunque no se podía esperar menos, y por eso quedó un poco deslucido.

1. 9 / 9 / 8 / 9 - platinum [Vol 149]
    Just remember, Fable is not "Project Ego." What it is, though, is a redefinition for RPG's. It takes out all the frustrating elements of the genre, and instead puts in a heap of fun options and possibilities. This is why; despite its disappointing conclusion, Fable is one of the most gripping and enjoyable games that has come to grace the console scene.
  3. Fable both soars and sinks. It's wondrous and wearisome, a great step forward in the development of heroes in RPGs and a tremendous stumble over its own two feet. And in the rising and falling, it finds itself. [Oct 2004, p.88]