Fable Xbox

8.4

1. Mar 6, 2017
    One of the better games on the original Xbox. Awesome game that still holds up pretty well to this day. When this first came out i was very pleased with the purchase.
  2. May 27, 2016
    Yes it is! Best Game ever!
    Best action/rpg with awesome atmosphere, story , humor , lore....
    And CHOICES!
    Peter Molyneux is a real genious, hail to him :)
    This game is my childhood...
  3. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Offers a fun visual experience for its time
    + Unique action RPG gameplay with a wide variety of mechanics to be selected from
    ? Gameplay doesn't have long-lasting staying power despite some unique hooks
    ? The proposed player freedom is a lot more restrictive and shallow than what was promised
    - World feels somewhat shallow and empty in spite of its aesthetic accomplishments
  4. Nov 12, 2014
    This game is better than its successor in only one regard: the story. And that's not saying much. In every other regard it falls short. It's clunky, uninteresting and leaves very little lasting impression.

I honestly believe this game is way over-hyped simply because it attempted to take RPGs to a new place. Unfortunately, that new place isn't exactly as shiny as they claimed it would be.

There are some fun bits, like the arena, but mostly it's a slog-fest. I'd recommend giving Fable a try just to see if you like the style of gameplay, but I wouldn't recommend buying the game until you know.
  5. Aug 8, 2014
    You're a hero. Your family is killed. You have to avenge their deaths and stop a guy named Jack from obtaining a powerful, world ending sword. OK. So, this is an action RPG, the first in one of three games. It's a fun game, but not the greatest in the world. It has a lot of errors and there are general hair pulling tasks. Also, the save system is just terrible.

But it's not without its

But it's not without its merit. This is the father of Fable II which is one of my favorite games of all time. Check it out.
  6. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese a que fue muy criticado, me parece un juego entretenido. Con una historia, que pese a tener diversos cuellos de botella, sigue manteniendo al usuario interesado y con una jugabilidad ajustada. Tal vez hubo demasiadas promesas, aunque no se podía esperar menos, y por eso quedó un poco deslucido.
  7. Mar 3, 2014
    Ignore the low scores. Most people who give this game low scores has literally given every other great game low scores as well. This game is one of if not the most replayable game of all time. You can create so many different characters and choose different combat styles each and every time. I've played the same way through probably 5 times and still love it. I played it when it firstIgnore the low scores. Most people who give this game low scores has literally given every other great game low scores as well. This game is one of if not the most replayable game of all time. You can create so many different characters and choose different combat styles each and every time. I've played the same way through probably 5 times and still love it. I played it when it first came out and still play it now (2014). The combat multiplier is great and so is the fighting. It uses the "z targeting" that Zelda: Ocarina of Time implemented. I recommned this game to anyone. Give it a legitimate chance and you will love it. Expand
  8. Aug 18, 2013
    All the positive reviews for this game make me loose hope in humanity. This was a very bad game.. By no means was it good. The story was awful, and the good and evil aspect was very poorly implemented. The only reason it sold as massively as it did was due to the insanely over hyped advertisement campaign. The game did not in any way live up to a single one of its boasted features.

When

When I see this many positive reviews for what was a very bad game I call shenanigans.
  9. Jun 10, 2013
    Due to years in development and endless promises from creator Peter Molyneux about reinventing the role playing genre Fable arrived on the Xbox amongst a huge amount of hype and anticipation. In the end the title ended up as a cross between an RPG and an adventure title that removes many of the more complex character levelling elements found in PC titles and instead focuses on creating anDue to years in development and endless promises from creator Peter Molyneux about reinventing the role playing genre Fable arrived on the Xbox amongst a huge amount of hype and anticipation. In the end the title ended up as a cross between an RPG and an adventure title that removes many of the more complex character levelling elements found in PC titles and instead focuses on creating an open world playground for the player to inhabit. As a result the game is far more accessible to the average gamer.

That is not to say however that the game completely lacks any of the features associated with RPGs. For example completing quests and defeating enemies provides coloured orbs that help improve your players magic etc and different weapons and armour can be equipped to improve your characters abilities. Plenty of side quests are also provided and the player is free to choose whether they wish to veer towards good or evil when tackling these in the same way that Mass Effect of Star Wars: KOTOR allows.

While the main quest helps to pull the play along it is the open for exploration world of Albion that is perhaps the games defining feature. Villages, forests and mountains are always full of life and the characters that inhabit these places are full of verve and no shortage of charm. With plenty of mini-games available as well as the option to buy properties, get married and even start a family it is easy to find yourself spending hours just seeing what you can discover.

While Fable is not exactly the revolution that was promised, it is still one of the best RPGs available on the Xbox and will certainly satisfy those looking for fast paced game with a little more depth and freedom than your average action title.
  10. Apr 19, 2013
    This was the game that convinced me to get an Xbox. Such a fresh idea and so well executed. A bit short with a lack luster ending, but thanks to the Lost chapters, it is now a complete game. Great visuals, great storytelling and a total joy to experience. But, on the negative side, I did feel the story was a bit directionless at times, at times the game felt morel like a collection of sideThis was the game that convinced me to get an Xbox. Such a fresh idea and so well executed. A bit short with a lack luster ending, but thanks to the Lost chapters, it is now a complete game. Great visuals, great storytelling and a total joy to experience. But, on the negative side, I did feel the story was a bit directionless at times, at times the game felt morel like a collection of side quests. Also your character's aging happens far to fast and it does get a bit unbelievable that a 80 year old man would be in that kind of physical shape (not impossible, but also not really plausible.)

Overall:
    Fable 1 was a great start to the franchise. It was flawed and far from perfect, but had enough charm and character to make it stand out.
  11. Apr 8, 2013
    One of the best game I've ever played. Learning curve is very well balanced, the game bring you in the world of fun and you are then addicted to it. Graphic and voice are all immersive. You cannot miss this experience.
  12. Nov 15, 2012
    This is a fantastic western RPG and easily one of the best games on the original Xbox. While other games have imitated many of the original Fable's mechanics, this game still feels fresh years later. Here are my 2 cents on it:

Pros -Story: Simply amazing. The plot is simple but the way it was told was unrivaled at the time. Lots of colorful side quests as well. -Atmosphere: Fable

Pros
    -Atmosphere: Fable somehow makes the fantasy setting feel fresh and unique. The game has a sense of wonder and discovery that few games manage to capture, including the later installments in the series.
    -Combat System: Its not the most complex combat system, but its one of the most enjoyable. The skills and leveling system fits the warrior/rogue/mage fantasy archetypes, but most players will eventually end up being all 3. Huge variety in weapons and spells. Enchanting weapons adds an extra layer to the game and certain spells can switch things up.
    -Side stuff: Marrying multiple wives, buying and renting properties, playing the gambling games, and large number of side quests.
    -Musical score: honestly, just YouTube the music.

Cons
    -Game length: its a little on the short side for a western rpg. Don't believe the exaggerators saying its only 9hrs; story is 12hrs and you can get 7 extra hours of side stuff. Still short compared to the sprawling open worlders. Grab the game with the expansion and you can tack on a few hours.
    -Linear: Not necessarily a fault in most games, but Fable tries to ride the line between open world and being linear. The game is pretty open and nonrestrictive, but level design doesn't allow for a lot of exploration.
    -Combat: Simple. The variety of spells and enchantments try to make up for this but the combat is simplistic at its core. Difficulty is also a bit low for gamers that like a challenge. Still, more challenging and complex than the two sequels in this respect.
    -Broken Economy system: No matter how you play you'll end up with more money than you can spend. Making some evil choices for money will make this even more apparent. Being able to buy whatever you need along with an easy combat system can make the game a bit of a cake walk.
    -Customization: Only reason this is on here is that you can't choose gender, race, or facial features. Of course, the later games only alleviates the first problem. Otherwise customization is a strong point.

The game has its positive and negatives but its honestly an amazing experience and I think it definitely deserves a higher metacritic score. Even if you disagree, pick it up on amazon for PC. Its $15 for the expansion pack edition Fable: The Lost Chapter. Its definitely worth the price
  13. Jun 1, 2012
    What does the feel like many years after the overhyping? Well, not great, but not terrible either. The story is very uninteresting and the hyped things about good and evil could have been made a lot more important aspect to the game. It doesn't affect story at all, which is a shame. Now it's just more like a simple detail. The story is too short and doesn't allow you to continue afterWhat does the feel like many years after the overhyping? Well, not great, but not terrible either. The story is very uninteresting and the hyped things about good and evil could have been made a lot more important aspect to the game. It doesn't affect story at all, which is a shame. Now it's just more like a simple detail. The story is too short and doesn't allow you to continue after having completed it (You can only continue with your previous save files). It does have a logical reason though.

The combat is good though and I like the way of leveling up. Instead of leveling up, you earn XP for specific skills, which are earned in different ways (By using magic, close combat, ranged combat). The game is still too easy though. The game is worth trying. It doesn't amaze you, but it's still worth trying.
  14. May 15, 2012
    If only it wasan't so easy this would be a perfect RPG, however the fact that i got this game when it first came out and im still playing it now shows just how good it is
  15. Apr 5, 2012
    Fable isn't the most amazing game out but it is still a good game. I've had a lot of fun playing it over and over again. The combat still holds up today but the quests can be a clunky. Gets an 8 from me, a worthy purchase.
  16. Jan 17, 2012
    If it's hype over freedom and mechanics hadn't been so incredibly hyped I might of been able to enjoy the game more. It's a linear game and way too kiddy. It does have some imaginative ideas in it though and is solid in it's gameplay. Also, too easy.
  17. Dec 27, 2011
    Really over hyped but its still a good game and is one of my favorite RPGs out there. The story was alright but a bit too generic. The combat was fun and addicting. There were plenty of quests to do as well as other things that kept you busy through out. I enjoyed it.
  18. Nov 6, 2011
    MY GOD! Nothing i have ever played yet can match the originality and pure fun possessed by fable. Combat multipliers, tattoos getting drunk! Still lionhead studios cannot create such an experience worthy of their name. Out of all the game in the universe THIS one deserves a perfect 10!
  19. Jul 21, 2011
    After playing and enjoying Fable II and hearing from just about everyone how the first Fable was better, I couldn't wait to pick this up and enjoy the ultimate Fable experience. It didn't happen. The game has a better storyline than the sequal, I'll grant that, but the graphics, combat, magic and ambiguous inventory system says to me that it needs to stay in the previous Xbox generation ofAfter playing and enjoying Fable II and hearing from just about everyone how the first Fable was better, I couldn't wait to pick this up and enjoy the ultimate Fable experience. It didn't happen. The game has a better storyline than the sequal, I'll grant that, but the graphics, combat, magic and ambiguous inventory system says to me that it needs to stay in the previous Xbox generation of games. Over all, the choices given to you are rather simple and have too much in black or white consequences, it doesn't have the same humor as the sequel and the npc interaction is only a quarter of what you are able to do in Fable II. This game really didn't invoke any emotion from me at all. It might have been great and revolutionary when it came out in2004, but personally it left me rolling my eyes Expand
  20. Jul 20, 2011
    Fable is a game of ambition and is partly successful in it. The setting is great but feels very limited as there is little chance to go off the beaten track. The combat, magic and archery skills give the game a nice variety and give it replay value. The plot is largely forgettable, although the game makes the effort to keep it there regardless. The degree of choice you are given is niceFable is a game of ambition and is partly successful in it. The setting is great but feels very limited as there is little chance to go off the beaten track. The combat, magic and archery skills give the game a nice variety and give it replay value. The plot is largely forgettable, although the game makes the effort to keep it there regardless. The degree of choice you are given is nice but it would be preferable if it was not so linear. For example, the right and wrong choice are always clearly defined, with no ambiguous gray area to make players really think about their next move. The game is over too quickly, with the ending feeling rushed. Expand
  21. Mar 6, 2011
    While the graphics do show a LOT of age and the controls are bad, this is still a game that is a lot of fun, the story is awesome, as is the feel of the world, it has some really fun quests, and cool locations, characters, and weapons, if you like RPGs and have an Xbox you should get this game.
  22. Jan 6, 2011
    well this was suppose to be the end all be all of RPg's coming out back in the day. i remember hearing all the things you where gona be able to do in it and how every story on this game was building it up saying 5 years in develpment and there is gona be so much to do! well it was all BS! what we got was a game that takes 10 hours to beat 12-13 hours if you do every thing in the game . awell this was suppose to be the end all be all of RPg's coming out back in the day. i remember hearing all the things you where gona be able to do in it and how every story on this game was building it up saying 5 years in develpment and there is gona be so much to do! well it was all BS! what we got was a game that takes 10 hours to beat 12-13 hours if you do every thing in the game . a simplistic hack and slash combat system with a GOD AWFUL lock on system . a story that is pretty dull and 2 lame endings.a very small world to explore . the going of good or evil really means nothing out side of some rude gestures you can make and the way your charicter looks. the graphics do look good . the enchantments on wepons is cool as it also makes the wepon look sick and give it bonus damage . this game is playable dont get me wrong but its a piss poor mediocore RPG that looses alot of points for all the lies the develpores have spread on what this game was gona pull off. as far as RPG's go you could find alot more RPG;s that are far better then this . Collapse
  23. MattN.
    Jan 19, 2008
    This game is absolutely superb. I love going round massacaring people and then inhabiting their houses. Although the graphics may be lacking, i think that when Fable 2 comes out on 360 soon will be in the running for best game of 2008/2009. I can't wait.
  24. PhillipA.
    Jul 27, 2006
    This was one of the best single player videogame experinces I've ever had. This game is very comparable to the Zelda franchises except that you get to create your character and there aren't huge open areas. I enjoyed every second of it, but I feel that it can still be improved upon (something I didn't feel about Zelda:OOT.) I found the story to be really compelling, but not This was one of the best single player videogame experinces I've ever had. This game is very comparable to the Zelda franchises except that you get to create your character and there aren't huge open areas. I enjoyed every second of it, but I feel that it can still be improved upon (something I didn't feel about Zelda:OOT.) I found the story to be really compelling, but not flexible enough for your hero and the ending was abrupt after the final boss. The game over took Kingdom Hearts as my new favorite RPG compat system. Yes it is very hack and slash and you can decide to be a Will User, Archer, or Warrior. The hero is very customizable and even though he doesn't talk I feel much more attached to him than I ever did Sora or Link. This is definatley a must purchase for any XBox owner and I speculate the sequal will be a 360 system seller. It is one of the systems few RPGs, but it definatley can hold its own. Expand
  25. Jeddi
    Jun 4, 2006
    Though not everything it was promised to be, Fable is a very enjoyable game with solid graphics, gameplay, and length. There are plenty of flaws that any tough critic can pick out, but overall it is just plain fun, and I recommend it to hardcore and casual gamers alike.
  26. JaceN.
    Jan 12, 2006
    Forgetting for the moment that everything that made Fable cool was removed feature by feature prior to release...it still plays like a racing game more than an RPG...in that youre tooling around fenced-in tracks in the middle of much larger environments. And its truly sad when supposedly more shallow titles like Halo have more places to explore than Fable. Four years of development wasted Forgetting for the moment that everything that made Fable cool was removed feature by feature prior to release...it still plays like a racing game more than an RPG...in that youre tooling around fenced-in tracks in the middle of much larger environments. And its truly sad when supposedly more shallow titles like Halo have more places to explore than Fable. Four years of development wasted on a pretty graphics demo! Expand
  27. MeghanM.
    Dec 28, 2005
    I really enjoyed playing Fable. It was fun to be able to decide what you wanted to grow up to be and what to do to get there. I thought the grown up really evil guy was hilarious looking!
  28. CodyK.
    Aug 27, 2005
    First off, Fable is a very good game. However, there are a few things that keep it from true greatness. Fable is too short, not challenging enough, and with so many cool things to do
  29. Christine
    Aug 4, 2005
    I truly LOVE this game! The scenery is wonderful. There are a bunch of fun mini-games to play. I love just going around talking to townspeople. It also has great REplayability. I am going through it my fifth time!
  30. K.F.
    Jun 23, 2005
    It's poor throughout. A bad game which fails on every level. It's not fun, it's not clever and the story is awful.
  31. ThorD.
    Jun 20, 2005
    Pretty cool effects, the gameplay was lacking though and it was a little too short. But overall an enjoyable game I liked it.
  32. JeffM.
    Feb 17, 2005
    Not only is this the best RPG of all time( it looks like FF7 has finally been dethroned), but is quite possibly the best overall game of, I admit the short story is a flaw but the replay value of this game is so high it is really not that big of a deal, pick this game up you will enjoy it, even if you are not a fan of the genre.
  33. K
    Feb 14, 2005
    Fable is interesting, and impressive too at times, but rarely is it an enjoyable game.
  34. BobM.
    Feb 1, 2005
    Fable is different from all RPG's and just as good as all of them. From great graphics to awesome levels if you like RPG's you will be hooked.
  35. PaulP.
    Jan 23, 2005
    It's the best game eva.
  36. Tenko
    Jan 5, 2005
    Oh what a let down! Fable is very pretty but it's... TOO easy TOO short TOO dull. Not too surprising it's £15 in all the sales, 2 months after release.
  37. SeamusD.
    Dec 6, 2004
    I think this is the best RPG and i don't really like RPG games!!!!
  38. DanwiseG.
    Nov 23, 2004
    First off let me say this game had lots of potential. Secondly this game had been built to be one of the greatest RPG's ever made. Well after playing it I can without a doubt say it's not. Starting with some of the good things about this game. By far this game has some of the best graphics on the xbox. Lionhead designed some beautiful environments to hack and slash through as First off let me say this game had lots of potential. Secondly this game had been built to be one of the greatest RPG's ever made. Well after playing it I can without a doubt say it's not. Starting with some of the good things about this game. By far this game has some of the best graphics on the xbox. Lionhead designed some beautiful environments to hack and slash through as well as characters that look good if not repetitive. Soundwise this game rocks, the sound was inspired by the guy who wrote the batman soundtrack and you can tell they put some effort into giving each area it's own theme. Gameplay is fun and you can fight enemies with a zelda like feel, though the enemies are a bit on the stupid side once you learn their patterns; bosses are way to easy to beat as well, leaving you a little unsatisified. The game fails however in two areas other than being way too easy. First is the lackluster story which doesn't involve you at all in your characters or the quest that seems to end way too soon. What makes a great RPG is the feeling that you're involved in a movie and the characters involved are actually ones that you care about and celebrate their victories while mourning their defeats. I could have cared less about the characters in this game, not to mention how characters just appear and dissapear out of nowwhere in the game's story. What's the point in creating a hero's academy if you feel like you're the only hero running around a world that's way too small. Now going to another of the game's flaws the length. As stated earlier I said the world is way too small and that's an understatement. You explore about half of it, over and over again for 50 percent of the game and then are thrown into the last half of it in about 8 hours left in the game. Now the developers had 4 years to make this game so COME ON!!! Also touching on the length of this game, well you can beat in in under 20-25 hours flat and that's no joke. What might keep you interested, the sims like marriage and buying house features, feel a little flat and boring, meaning you won't spend too much time on this aspect of the game. I love an RPG that gives me a immediant desire to want to replay it and catch what I missed before. Once you beat this game you probably won't want to replay it unless you just want to see both very short endings, you won't miss much in this game. Fable is a rental hands down, don't make the mistake I did in purchasing it, playing it, beating it in under 25 hours, and then letting it collect dust on your shelf the rest of it's lifespan. For the fact that it does achieve a playable game that you can rent and have fun with, for a short time, I give this game a 7 out of 10. Expand
  39. JaviF.
    Nov 23, 2004
    Okay first of all this game isnt as good as everyone though it was going to be but it is good. Simply put i would not rcommend it but it is a good game. there are just bigger fish in the ocean to waste your time with this game. My experience of this game was that it limits freedom and the world isnt really a world. Just a bunch of pathways through the wilderness put together. I was also Okay first of all this game isnt as good as everyone though it was going to be but it is good. Simply put i would not rcommend it but it is a good game. there are just bigger fish in the ocean to waste your time with this game. My experience of this game was that it limits freedom and the world isnt really a world. Just a bunch of pathways through the wilderness put together. I was also highly disappointed with the ending. Expand
  40. BiasedMonk
    Nov 10, 2004
    After an eternity of procastination I finally got my hands on this title that was supposed to be to revolutionize RPGs...did it? No. I walked out of the store still full of hope after reading a few dismal reviews, and a few raving ones that game would turn out alright. What I ended up finding was a solid game, but nothing to put into the annals of gaming history. The world is brilliant, a After an eternity of procastination I finally got my hands on this title that was supposed to be to revolutionize RPGs...did it? No. I walked out of the store still full of hope after reading a few dismal reviews, and a few raving ones that game would turn out alright. What I ended up finding was a solid game, but nothing to put into the annals of gaming history. The world is brilliant, a fun creative sandbox to play in, and who doesn't love messing with people. The social mechanic is quite amusing, but beyond that the game falls a bit short of greatness. I found the combat to be rediculously easy. I consider myself by no means extremely talented and dexterous when it comes to my video game playing abilities, I can manage pretty much everything with a bit of effort. But I simplely could kill almost everything instantly, without leveling up. This game needs a serious change in difficulty, and when somone ends up low on health there are enough potions and ressuraction vials to last them through even the most one sided fight. The game lacked content and was depressingly short. The changing of the appearance was quite fun, but in the end was a bit frusterating. I didn't like wearing a mask, my face got scarred. I was too good, I had all white hair. I used magic and I aged too fast. There was one other aspect that bugged me. It was too linear. THe lack of ability to randomly jump, coupled with the format of levels made it seem much more strait forward. And unlike many RPGS, when I advanced or got a large sum of gold, I didn't really feal I was advancing or getting anywhere, I could see the meager selection of weapons and armor from the start. All in all the game is worth playing, but I'd save it it for a rental when you don't want to leave the xbox for five days strait, but isn't worth buying, unless you get some (and if you do this worries me) odd pleasure from seducing people and leading them out in the forest to kill them. Expand
  41. PaulO.
    Oct 30, 2004
    It's not groundbreaking, and it's certainly not Zelda on the X-box, but it's still a fine Hack-and-slash RPG. Interesting features include a nice... Well, I wouldn't call it an "economic model", but prices vary from store to store, so you can make a profit buying low and selling high. Also nice is how your character's look changes, based on hair styles, tatoos, It's not groundbreaking, and it's certainly not Zelda on the X-box, but it's still a fine Hack-and-slash RPG. Interesting features include a nice... Well, I wouldn't call it an "economic model", but prices vary from store to store, so you can make a profit buying low and selling high. Also nice is how your character's look changes, based on hair styles, tatoos, age, alignment, etc. Fighting also feels pretty good. The downside is... The story is not only very cliche, but also very short. You'll be done with this one in ten hours or so. Even with all the side quests and silver keys and secret doors, I'd give it twenty hours at best. You can try for the relationship simulator thing, but I found that to be very shallow. It's a fun game, as long as you aren't expecting the world of Fable to mirror our own in complexity. Expand
  42. SarfrazH.
    Oct 28, 2004
    I reckon that it easily stands alongside FF7 as reaaaaalllyyyyy good RPG. however this said it reallly lacks in the replayability that other RPG's of this genre had. and the main storyline is a bit errrrrrm short. it'd be really cool if you could keep getting quests after completing the game and watching the credits. now that would be awesome : D
  43. DaveyD.
    Oct 25, 2004
    I have the great advantage of having not really read any reviews of Fable (been playing the PC a lot recently) so I had no real expectations about the game. So... It's pretty good. Reminds me a lot of Zelda : Ocarina of Time on the N64 (although, i'd say the gameplay in Zelda was probably better.) It's not some revolutionary new style of game, whatever people try and tell I have the great advantage of having not really read any reviews of Fable (been playing the PC a lot recently) so I had no real expectations about the game. So... It's pretty good. Reminds me a lot of Zelda : Ocarina of Time on the N64 (although, i'd say the gameplay in Zelda was probably better.) It's not some revolutionary new style of game, whatever people try and tell you. Having said all that, it's still a pretty entertaining game. Quite a lot of variety of things to do. I'm really not finding it repetitive as some people have said. It's one of those games where you think 'this is okay, and there are some interesting ideas... but Fable 2 or Fable 3 will be way better!' Expand
  44. DanielS.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This game is spine-tingiling and will keep you on the edge of your seat with every scar and bruise and battle you encounter.
  45. Kel
    Oct 19, 2004
    When I first saw the package for the game I knew that I was in for a treat even before I opened my X-box drive. As soon as I saw the way the world looked and how the characters were designed I immidiatly said "Wow". Though the main adventure is short, watch the credets and you will still be able to continue your adventure by slaying monsters and maybe changing your good ways. The magic When I first saw the package for the game I knew that I was in for a treat even before I opened my X-box drive. As soon as I saw the way the world looked and how the characters were designed I immidiatly said "Wow". Though the main adventure is short, watch the credets and you will still be able to continue your adventure by slaying monsters and maybe changing your good ways. The magic looks great, the fighting is easy for anyone. The way your character developes during the course of your adventures is awesome, going from young to old is just cool even though it can seem to happen to fast. There are two separate endings to the game, there is allot of stuff to find and allot of stuff to learn about the world if people will read all the books there are. This is honestly one of the best rpgs I have ever played and trust me, I have played a whole lot. Sit back and enjoy it, dont rush through it. The game is not about rushing its about experimenting, hell go get drunk and run around naked or throw up on the person next to you. There is a world of possibilities, experience them all. Expand
  46. ShaneH.
    Oct 17, 2004
    This was the best game I have played besides Halo.
    Oct 15, 2004
    It doesnt have any cheats im a cheat maniac and no cheats such as A,B,up.down or ECT just an example.
  48. BloikF.
    Oct 13, 2004
    Not anywhwre near as innovative as folks would have you believe. In fact, there's very little new stuff here. Come to think of it, they borrow so heavily from other titles of the genre it's almost not funny. Is it supposed to frame out like that? Ugh. And what's with the terrible voice acting? Doesn't help with suspension of disbelief at all. Decent, but not great by Not anywhwre near as innovative as folks would have you believe. In fact, there's very little new stuff here. Come to think of it, they borrow so heavily from other titles of the genre it's almost not funny. Is it supposed to frame out like that? Ugh. And what's with the terrible voice acting? Doesn't help with suspension of disbelief at all. Decent, but not great by any stretch of the imagination. Expand
  49. CuppaJoe
    Oct 13, 2004
    Oh dear. They used the same voice actors from B&W...Oh dear... Tired RPG elements galore, where is the supposed originality? Hype. Is it supposed to frame out this much? Disgraceful. Peter Molyneux, Legend? Populous and Magic Carpet a legend do not make. Over-rated as it is though, Fable is OK, just not excellent. And I re-iterate, the voice acting is terrible.
  50. DemonMonk
    Oct 9, 2004
    This game is awesome, people giving scores in the RED including gamecritics are just stupid...the game has a lot of cool things like you can change your face and size and kill people... it is fun as hell and the weapons are cool and how you need more strength to lift heavier weapons... The only problems I have with fable -cant jump, swim and you dont have enough freedom, I want to jump of This game is awesome, people giving scores in the RED including gamecritics are just stupid...the game has a lot of cool things like you can change your face and size and kill people... it is fun as hell and the weapons are cool and how you need more strength to lift heavier weapons... The only problems I have with fable -cant jump, swim and you dont have enough freedom, I want to jump of one of those bridges and swim of to some place in the world. -it is too short, the main story is too short... thats about it everything else is pretty good. Expand
  51. DouglasG.
    Oct 8, 2004
    I thought this game was sooooooooo disappointing. I was so excited and couldn't wait for this game, but I never should have bought it. It is definitely a renter. To take four years to develope this game and all I got was about 10 hours or less of playing time before killing the bad guy! Come on! KOTOR was much much better. The only thing that sets this apart from other games was the I thought this game was sooooooooo disappointing. I was so excited and couldn't wait for this game, but I never should have bought it. It is definitely a renter. To take four years to develope this game and all I got was about 10 hours or less of playing time before killing the bad guy! Come on! KOTOR was much much better. The only thing that sets this apart from other games was the body development and the scars that stay on your body. As for me, I'd rather have more game play then a scar on my face. I also read in a review that the game continues on after you beat the last guy, but mine didn't do this. The game ended with credits and I can only go back to my last save point. Not that it is a big deal since the only thing you can do is get married, drink beer, and fight people over and over again. I am sure there will be a sequel, but I will definately rent it to see if they improved on anything. Of course it may take 10 years for the sequel. Expand
  52. WillM.
    Oct 8, 2004
    This game is the dogs! when i 1st got my x box i thought that kotor was a gr8 rpg compared to this its nothin!!! a must for all rpg fans.
  53. EmilyJ.
    Oct 4, 2004
    I was supremely disappointed in this game! Years of waiting with baited breath, and for what? A painfully short game with a ghastly plot and repetitive, unexciting combat. Even without the hype this was still mediocre. The graphics were okay. The character customization was admittedly cool, but even that was not enough to justify the game's sizeable flaws. A cute little game, but do I was supremely disappointed in this game! Years of waiting with baited breath, and for what? A painfully short game with a ghastly plot and repetitive, unexciting combat. Even without the hype this was still mediocre. The graphics were okay. The character customization was admittedly cool, but even that was not enough to justify the game's sizeable flaws. A cute little game, but do yourself a favor-- rent, don't buy! Expand
  54. BillH.
    Oct 4, 2004
    Ok this is crap. You may ask why I say that well to started it to short. The game could be beat in eight hour or so. The little I hear about it before it came out is it like morrowind is a way better game Fable more weapons Quest everything . Well all am tring to say is if Fable (a.k.a project ego) is what you ended up with then am sorry but you mess up. I could say more but I think I got Ok this is crap. You may ask why I say that well to started it to short. The game could be beat in eight hour or so. The little I hear about it before it came out is it like morrowind is a way better game Fable more weapons Quest everything . Well all am tring to say is if Fable (a.k.a project ego) is what you ended up with then am sorry but you mess up. I could say more but I think I got my point across. Expand
  55. PedroA.
    Oct 2, 2004
    Excellent game! It's 10 hours story, but it can last 20 hours more if you actually do everything. Great game for people who don't spend their lives playing video games and try to beat it in a day.
  56. AnthonyO.
    Oct 1, 2004
    Aight yo, dis is the best and most realistic game that i have played. I quit playing Runescape cause of this tight game.
  57. WendyB.
    Oct 1, 2004
    I loved the game... until it ended. I was way too short and the end guy was too easy to beat. come on all you got to do is run from these guys. anyways the map was too small of a world needs more too do like ElderScrolls.
  58. VincentJC.
    Oct 1, 2004
    Fable seemed to be an attempt at a true action-defined RPG that seemed to fall short of its mark. While providing another title for the RPG-deprived Xbox, the true fan will most likely find more comfort in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Story/Plot: The biggest complaint with the storyline is that it was too short. It is the basic genre of boy is separated from family and seeks revenge. Fable seemed to be an attempt at a true action-defined RPG that seemed to fall short of its mark. While providing another title for the RPG-deprived Xbox, the true fan will most likely find more comfort in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Story/Plot: The biggest complaint with the storyline is that it was too short. It is the basic genre of boy is separated from family and seeks revenge. The one unique concept is that you start off the game as this young boy only to find yourself at adulthood within the first half hour of playing. This should of been a tip-off at how quickly the storyline would continue to move. (7 of 10) Game Control: The game control seemed to have some flaws as well. Again, well conceived, but never really felt completely comfortable. Moving around Fable was performed via fixed path maps with fairly long load times and regenerating enemies. Enemies were targeted using the left trigger which never seemed to completely work just right. It seemed far too often either an enemy wasn't selected and you were caught facing the wrong direction or the wrong enemy would be chosen putting you in harm's way for a wide-open attack. On the positive side, the magic system was well designed and the navigation sysytem for conversation and item use was fairly easy to use. (5 of 10) Graphics: For the most part, the graphics were very good. It seemed to be your typical xbox game-engine generated effects. (7 of 10) Sound: I thought the soundtrack to the game was one of the best features. Most of the musical scores fit the mood and scenery. My only complaint was the repetitive booming voice of the guildmaster reminding your character to heal up or pick up a guild card. (9 of 10) Misc: Hmmm... The intangibles. After finishing the game, I felt there was necessity to finally get a game that was three-quarters complete to the market with some of the rough edges not completely smoothed out. A couple features that I think stood out was the trading system and the ability to domesticate (marry, buy and sell homes, improve an existing home). I think were the game fell short was in content, especially in sub-quests that could have provided a lot of extra hours of gameplay. Overall, this is a game that would be worth waiting for it you intend to buy it. It is far too expensive at $44.95 (Amazon) for a game that is truly beatable in less than 10 hours. (7 of 10) Expand
  59. Michael
    Sep 28, 2004
    This isnt a game, it's an experience. This is the type of experience that you will remember for the rest of your RPG loving life. If you experince Fable for what it is, youll spend a good 35-45 hrs to complete it. If you just want to "play" Fable, youll be done in like 15-20 hours. Graphics: 8-1/2 Sound: 9 Gameplay:9 Story:8 Fun:10
  60. KevinF.
    Sep 28, 2004
    Ignore the hype and the reviews and just rent it. Sadly, for many, the best part of the game is the music.
  61. Steve-OAmaral
    Sep 27, 2004
    I've been anticipating this movie for quite a while, about a year, and I would like to say it is fun and that's all that matters. Yes, like Shawn O. said, it is the perfect rpg for those who haven't played an rpg. It is definitely a great starter and step up for RPGs. Although it is way, WAY too short, it is still fun. There's lots of playability in this game, but I've been anticipating this movie for quite a while, about a year, and I would like to say it is fun and that's all that matters. Yes, like Shawn O. said, it is the perfect rpg for those who haven't played an rpg. It is definitely a great starter and step up for RPGs. Although it is way, WAY too short, it is still fun. There's lots of playability in this game, but because of the sheer length it is incredibly disappointing. It's great, but it was supposed to be perfect. PEACE! Expand
  62. JeremyG.
    Sep 27, 2004
    Way to short. A RPG that only lasts 9 hours is a renter as far as I'm concerened. Great gameplay but to little - um - too little.
  63. JohnW.
    Sep 24, 2004
    This game didn't do as well as it should have with the critics simply because it did not live up to the hype. If you ignore the hype and just play the game as it is it's a really wonderful RPG. It is as many critics have mentioned, very linear, and it is also very very short. The shortness of the game and how linear it is really takes away from what could have been the best RPG This game didn't do as well as it should have with the critics simply because it did not live up to the hype. If you ignore the hype and just play the game as it is it's a really wonderful RPG. It is as many critics have mentioned, very linear, and it is also very very short. The shortness of the game and how linear it is really takes away from what could have been the best RPG to date hands down. Expand
  64. Derrick
    Sep 23, 2004
    It was a decent game but not that every body knows u can still play after u beat jack u just have to watch the credits and by the way i was truly applaud that u couldnt explore like in morrowind.
  65. HoratioZ.
    Sep 23, 2004
    This would be an excellent budget priced game. Read all the comments about the excellent graphics and then look at the actual game. The graphics are pretty bad but everyone thinks they are excellent for some inexplicable reason. It's a fun game and worth buying but it isn't worth $50 and it's nowhere near the game that they promised.
  66. AndrewH.
    Sep 22, 2004
    Wow. I say this coming away from nearly 17 hours of gameplay on a magnificent rpg. Sadly the only bad thing is, that after 17 hours of gameplay, I'm done. And most people finished it in half that time. The only reason I spent so much more time with the game is that I wandered around after completing it and gathered all of the extra items and such. However, my first gripe is indeed my Wow. I say this coming away from nearly 17 hours of gameplay on a magnificent rpg. Sadly the only bad thing is, that after 17 hours of gameplay, I'm done. And most people finished it in half that time. The only reason I spent so much more time with the game is that I wandered around after completing it and gathered all of the extra items and such. However, my first gripe is indeed my only one. The length of the game is the ONLY thing this game does wrong. Now to get on with the good stuff. EVERYTHING ELSE. Although the main story quests are not enough to make this game as long as many hoped, you can do SO MUCH MORE to make up for that. You can even play after you've beaten the game as I mentioned earlier. The combat is also extremely brilliant, as it gives turn-based rpg haters a break from the norm. In other words, I would classify Fable as an action-adventure-rpg hybrid. As you develop your character's skill through gaining experience you can also gain new powers. There are an abundance of magic, bow, and sword skills to master. Or as the game calls it: Will, Skill, and Strength. But off the subject of the brilliant combat sytem and upgrade features, and onto the game's best feature: THE GRAPHICS. The most amzing graphics I've most likely ever seen in a video game. The different areas of Albion are rendered breathtakingly. Not to mention the brilliant feature of your character's appearance changing due to alignment. Also, at any time during the game you can use the right analog stick to zoom in on your character and take a look at what you're molding. Finally, the last part of the game, the music. The music just adds to the already epic feel of the game. It's geniously created to fit every emotion in the game. All in all Fable is instantaneously an Xbox classic, a must own rpg, and one of the best games I've ever played. The only reason I am not giving it a 10 is because of the story. Hopefully they'll fix the length of the game in the next installment. 9/10 Expand
  67. NickA.
    Sep 22, 2004
    When I first got the game I was hyped about it. Considering all the boasting that the game did. Then I played it. I was constantly telling myself that it was everything i had hoped for. Obviousely I was in denial. I still loved it for what it was, but it would have been way better if they didn't make all those false boasts. So they wouldn't let down to many people.
  68. ShawnO.
    Sep 22, 2004
    This is the "PERFECT" rpg for the gamer whos favorite type of games are not rpgs!, like myself. I haven't had this much fun with a rpg game since windwaker, to me its Zelda meets Maximo, which I love both games. I can see why rpg purist are disappointed by how short it is, and the "over-HYPE", but thats it. I would say it reminds me of vice city in many ways also, but with more This is the "PERFECT" rpg for the gamer whos favorite type of games are not rpgs!, like myself. I haven't had this much fun with a rpg game since windwaker, to me its Zelda meets Maximo, which I love both games. I can see why rpg purist are disappointed by how short it is, and the "over-HYPE", but thats it. I would say it reminds me of vice city in many ways also, but with more character buildup, because you can fly right throuh the game or you can take your time, doing endless amounts of tasks and many games...Grand Theft Auto should take notes on the good, bad Alignment, and how it rewards you eitherway. I would love to play a grand theft auto game that would change your character into a dirtyharry, deathwish, city hero for good, or a twisted metal looking, feared by all character for bad deeds. Finialy, the game is so good, that I will play it again to go down the dark path instead of the good which I beat the game with..... Expand
  69. K.V.
    Sep 22, 2004
    Deserves an eight, but I feel obligated to pull the average up because rating this game a 2,3,4,5 or 6 is just someone having a hissy fit for a game not meeting expectations. It's not the best, but certainly not among the worst.
  70. NicF.
    Sep 21, 2004
    I enjoyed it alot until I started to realize the end was coming... bout 11 hrs in. I leveled up (which killing wasps was about as good as bandits) Not a real challange though. Overall, the Hype killed it, hands down. Quests were way too linear and easy. nothing was a challange. o well this was just IMHO.
  71. V.Cajo
    Sep 20, 2004
    RENT - do not buy! While the game has great graphics and interesting NPC interaction it certainly is not "ground-breaking RPG" that many have claimed. As a matter of fact it is an average game, FAR too short (8 - 12 hours) and very, very linear. If I remember right someone from the dev team (if not Peter Molyneaux) said that this would be free-roaming game or somehting like that? Somebody RENT - do not buy! While the game has great graphics and interesting NPC interaction it certainly is not "ground-breaking RPG" that many have claimed. As a matter of fact it is an average game, FAR too short (8 - 12 hours) and very, very linear. If I remember right someone from the dev team (if not Peter Molyneaux) said that this would be free-roaming game or somehting like that? Somebody should really have shown Morrowind to these guys so that they understand what open-ended, free-form game means... In Fable you are forced to follow certain paths and everything that is not flat ground (small fences, crates, rocks that are hardly even up to your ankles) is an obstacle and you can not go over it (no jumping). There are very few quests and you will be able to finish the game very fast. I have finished it in a bit over 10 hours and that is with a number of side quests and finding 2 legendary weapons and other hidden items. The game is fun though and I would strongly suggest renting it over the weekend. The key word is "rent" - do NOT buy Expand
  72. SamD.
    Sep 20, 2004
    An absolutely quintessential addition to the collection.
  73. LuosN.
    Sep 20, 2004
    This game is such a letdown. All the waiting and the game just blows. its short, boring, and none of the promises were kept.......back to the store it goes.
  74. JesseD.
    Sep 19, 2004
    I loved the game... for the whole 7 hours it took me to beat it. The game issues are as follows: Over used story line. FAR to liner. NOT A CHALLANGE TO BEAT. and TOO SHORT.. a game that takes me 8 hours to beat isnt worth 50$. and the amazing replay value that they said this game would have.. it DIDNT.. what you do never changes.. you kill this guy.. take that item.. kill that other guy.. I loved the game... for the whole 7 hours it took me to beat it. The game issues are as follows: Over used story line. FAR to liner. NOT A CHALLANGE TO BEAT. and TOO SHORT.. a game that takes me 8 hours to beat isnt worth 50$. and the amazing replay value that they said this game would have.. it DIDNT.. what you do never changes.. you kill this guy.. take that item.. kill that other guy.. only thing you can change is if you want horns or a halo. This is the single most disappointing letdown from any game I've ever had. Expand
  75. Lily
    Sep 19, 2004
    I was very disappointed in this game. I expected too much out of it and was not able to enjoy it as much as I could have. The developers should have never opened their mouths, too much hype can really kill the game.
  76. MichaelR.
    Sep 19, 2004
    I enjoyed Fable, but it certainly was a letdown. The painted a picture of something very similar to Morrowind, but much deeper character customization and enviornments, but what I got instead was a poor version of Zelda combined with a gimped version of The Sims. You'll certainly have fun with Fable, and it is certainly a novelty, but there are better ways to spend fifty dollars. A I enjoyed Fable, but it certainly was a letdown. The painted a picture of something very similar to Morrowind, but much deeper character customization and enviornments, but what I got instead was a poor version of Zelda combined with a gimped version of The Sims. You'll certainly have fun with Fable, and it is certainly a novelty, but there are better ways to spend fifty dollars. A must-have when it goes Platinum Hits. Expand
  77. JimJ.
    Sep 19, 2004
    Minimal game content, no challenge whatsoever, and the whole good/evil thing didn't matter one bit to the progression of the game. A really big disappointment after the all the postponements and all the boasting. If they would have spent half the time on the game content, that they spent on the good/evil system, they might have made something resembling a game. I mean I've Minimal game content, no challenge whatsoever, and the whole good/evil thing didn't matter one bit to the progression of the game. A really big disappointment after the all the postponements and all the boasting. If they would have spent half the time on the game content, that they spent on the good/evil system, they might have made something resembling a game. I mean I've played demo games with more content than Fable. Expand
  78. CaidJ.
    Sep 19, 2004
    Certainly a good RPG by any standard, lush environments and pretty colours make it a nice place to play in. Wonky battle system is kind of the offset to the whole game, aggravating button commands wich conflict with too many past experiences make this one a hard game to adjust to and even more difficult to comfortably master.
  79. CliffY.
    Sep 18, 2004
    This is the greatest Video Game ever made, and I have played them all...
  80. DylanM.
    Sep 17, 2004
    I must say i enjoyed playing this game, and i will continue playing it many more times, how ever i was very very disappointed, i tried doing everything they at one time said you would be able to do, but couldn't. Not to mention the lacking of quests. I do think they should try and make another game similar to this, except add the grand concepts of morrowind ;) thousands of weapons, I must say i enjoyed playing this game, and i will continue playing it many more times, how ever i was very very disappointed, i tried doing everything they at one time said you would be able to do, but couldn't. Not to mention the lacking of quests. I do think they should try and make another game similar to this, except add the grand concepts of morrowind ;) thousands of weapons, or make more detailed story line............ In Fable you never change the story only how you are known, this is something they got wrong, taking one thing calling it another. I guess over all im giving it about 7.5. Expand
  81. MatthewM.
    Sep 17, 2004
    If you ignore everything the developers said about this game you will probably enjoy it. If you don't and actually had hopes, prepare to be disappointed. I can forgive a lot of the missing features that were announced a few weeks before release and still enjoy the game until one point. Any open endedness, non linear, subtle choices that effect your alignment are not in this game. If you ignore everything the developers said about this game you will probably enjoy it. If you don't and actually had hopes, prepare to be disappointed. I can forgive a lot of the missing features that were announced a few weeks before release and still enjoy the game until one point. Any open endedness, non linear, subtle choices that effect your alignment are not in this game. It's like the developers told us they are making morrowind and we got delivered a diablo. Both good games in their right, but very different. You cannot be an inept hero and fail a quest (or it makes you re do it until you do complete it) it does not let you finnish a quest evil or good (usually) but rather lets you choose a good quest or an evil quest; very little choices and such. Again, not a bad game, but it is not what was even remotely promised to gamers. It is not revolutionary, it's a simple Kotor, not bad, but not what was expected. Expand
  82. A.Verisimilitude
    Sep 16, 2004
    Hello, Better than expected graphics. (It IS an xbox game after all...) Visuals are, overall, very pleasing, except the 'fish-eye' 160' camera view. Good music and sound effects. Honest effort to be a bit more original, yay. Good AI, though, due to plotlines, limited to 'stop being a bad boy' at times when you should just be killed. *sigh* Overall I can see the Hello, Better than expected graphics. (It IS an xbox game after all...) Visuals are, overall, very pleasing, except the 'fish-eye' 160' camera view. Good music and sound effects. Honest effort to be a bit more original, yay. Good AI, though, due to plotlines, limited to 'stop being a bad boy' at times when you should just be killed. *sigh* Overall I can see the shades of Black + White all over it. That's arguably a good thing, IMO. I just have to wonder why they thought the old predictable plot line was needed. While it was interesting enough to hold your attention occationally, that particular plotline really is considered 'too tired' from the RPG gaming standpoint. Personally I think a more open-ended game would have been better. Yes, I know you can continue, but with the gear you have at the end, what's the point... ??? In my day we used to shoot them when they went down, not bludgeon them with paddle swords. (or frying pans) hee hee Anyhow, good game, it was fun, I probably will play it again, but I am not really into SIMS (tm) meets Pools of Radiance (tm). While I really hate to say it, from a RP point of view, many other past games were better. However, it *IS* exactly what it is touted as on the box, RPG Action Adventure. I wish they had been that honest with Neverwinter's Nights. (tm) hee hee Sincerely, A.V. Expand
  83. ScottH.
    Sep 16, 2004
    This is awesome. Got it right now!
  84. EdwardtheBraggart
    Sep 16, 2004
    Brilliant, deep, gorgeous game. not the scope of a morrowind, but hell, what is? the character development is the focus of the game. i found myself rethinking what "role-playing" actually is, and you know...i think this just might be the greatest roleplaying game of all time. don't let the naysayers get you down, those guys rushed through it with a negative outlook because its not onBrilliant, deep, gorgeous game. not the scope of a morrowind, but hell, what is? the character development is the focus of the game. i found myself rethinking what "role-playing" actually is, and you know...i think this just might be the greatest roleplaying game of all time. don't let the naysayers get you down, those guys rushed through it with a negative outlook because its not on playstation. Expand
  85. ConnorGriffin
    Sep 16, 2004
    I've been lookin' forward to this gae for two years, and I'm finally playin it, and it's everything I thought it would be and more
  86. Jay-TB.
    Sep 16, 2004
    I love the game however in between quests thare are not nearly enough places to work up your exp or your cash. there are also in my opinion not nearly enough weopons to choose from that and the lack of armor and clothing customability. the other thing i dont understand is why if you eat tofu you gain good points and if you set crunchy chicken you get bad points. why is it a crine orI love the game however in between quests thare are not nearly enough places to work up your exp or your cash. there are also in my opinion not nearly enough weopons to choose from that and the lack of armor and clothing customability. the other thing i dont understand is why if you eat tofu you gain good points and if you set crunchy chicken you get bad points. why is it a crine or "devilish" to eat kfc. all and all the game is great i love it but if Big Blue Box intends so make a sequel to this epic then i would say they have a lot of work to do to change things to fix the common sence errors in the game. Expand
  87. JohnC.
    Sep 16, 2004
    I LOVE THIS GAME! I just wish that your person could speak like on Knights of the Old the Repulic.
  88. DerekvanderH.
    Amazing.
  89. DarrenM.
    Sep 16, 2004
    I've played Fable, now, after only waiting for a full third of my life for it. And there's a separation, in there, of Fable the concept and the game I'm actually holding. I understand that many things had to be ditched for time and to avoid blowing up the overtaxed Xbox, but all that is gone the moment I put the game into the system. I've turned it on six times now, I've played Fable, now, after only waiting for a full third of my life for it. And there's a separation, in there, of Fable the concept and the game I'm actually holding. I understand that many things had to be ditched for time and to avoid blowing up the overtaxed Xbox, but all that is gone the moment I put the game into the system. I've turned it on six times now, and I can't even skip the intro videos. Fable is my perfect gaming experience. Anyone arguing that Morrowind was better must've been playing it on the magical mystery device that Never Lags At All. I beat Morrowind, and both the expansions, in the game of the year edition for the Xbox, and the game is so incredibly laggy that it's disgusting. I can't walk ten feet without a load screen, or major slowdown. This isn't any sort of coherent review of Fable-- at the moment I'm far too giddy for that, but please, please, please don't compare Morrowind and Fable in the same breath. Morrowind was tired within two hours. Fable, while far reduced from the seven years of hype, is the real deal. And for what it's worth, I think Fable might be my favorite GAME ever, but not my favorite RPG-- that's still Chrono Trigger. Expand
  90. Steve-OA.
    Sep 15, 2004
    I reserved this game in July(!!!) and I woiuld like to say I'm a little disappointed. I have to say it, I HATE MORROWIND! I hate everything about it, but this is the next best thing next to KOTOR. If you need another RPG for the Xbox(which everyone does!) you should definitely pick this up!
  91. RobMcC
    Sep 15, 2004
    It is Killer!! Those subpar reviews you see are from people who always look for the worst in things. It is innovatively awe inspiring.
  92. EricS.
    Sep 15, 2004
    I dont know if Anthony is on the payroll or if hes just apoligizing for every thing it isn't. And i dont know if this is everybodys first "rpg". which it really isnt i'ts a basic game. im not saying it isn't fun. but it pales in comparison to games like morrowind. games where you can roam free and dont have to follow the path. for the hype and the time it took it'sI dont know if Anthony is on the payroll or if hes just apoligizing for every thing it isn't. And i dont know if this is everybodys first "rpg". which it really isnt i'ts a basic game. im not saying it isn't fun. but it pales in comparison to games like morrowind. games where you can roam free and dont have to follow the path. for the hype and the time it took it's somewhat disappointing. 20 hours thats it. i could care less about punting chickens, or getting a haircut or tattoo. the camera's somewhat tough but the fighting style is good. Why was the childhood over and done with in 10 minutes with just a few things to do. right to the guild with an hour of training that was basic at best. the first town is small a couple of merchants a tavern and a barber. oh and a whole bunch of guards and townsfolk who dont do or say anything different from each other. yea i'm sure ill have fun playing it but to say "the best rpg ever" i dont think its even close. Had more fun with Shining Force from genisis 10 years ago. Expand
  93. Buried-In-The-Box
    Sep 15, 2004
    Well, I was going to play through the whole game but since Anthony C's review was so long I'm too tired for it all now. All you needed to say was it is awesome and could very well turn out to be the best RPG of all time.
  94. JEFFA.
    Sep 13, 2004
    AN AMAZING GAME!
  95. AnthonyC.
    Sep 10, 2004
    It may not have everything that Molyneux talked about (which by the way were IDEAS not promises), but what is in there and all that they've added makes this by far the most immersive game I've ever played. Molyneux stated that they would've loved to make it more free, but the processing system can't handle it in this generation of console gaming. i.e. "The growing It may not have everything that Molyneux talked about (which by the way were IDEAS not promises), but what is in there and all that they've added makes this by far the most immersive game I've ever played. Molyneux stated that they would've loved to make it more free, but the processing system can't handle it in this generation of console gaming. i.e. "The growing trees," says Molyneux, "were thought about for a while, and while we would've liked to do them, they had absolutely NO significance with the game." You could not interact with the trees, and because they took up so much processing power (around 15% of the XBOX's processing system just for managing the trees) they decided on using that process power wasted on trees for a more practical purpose: the actual hero and gameplay. So even if we did have horses and growing trees and co-op play and a female playable character in the game, that would've meant less process power for the COOLER features of the game: perhaps a few extra spells or weapons or expressions (something related to actual gameplay, mind you) were tossed in in exchange for some of the tree effects, horses, etc. Just to stop the whiners who complain that some of the characters in "Fable" either look alike or sound alike, I will include the next statement. How do you expect there to be an unlimited amount of dialogue and characters in a video game? There's only so much you can put on a disk. With hundreds of townspeople to interact with, there's obviously going to be SOME repitition - it's common sense! Not to say that "Fable" doesn't have a wide variety of people and sound bytes, because it very much does! The story in "Fable" is meant to give each player the same story points in some situations, and again, while they would have put in more open-endedness, the XBOX wouldn't have been able to handle it. The gameplay may seem easy for some players, but I have the solution: stop complaining that the game is easy for you and boast to raise the difficulty for yourself. It may seem easy for you, but for others it may not. I myself found some areas difficult and I've been playing video games for most of my life. Also, in contrast to many other RPG's that we're used to, "Fable" doesn't make you get stuck. There's no reason for someone to have to get stressed out over a video game, and that's what the "Fable" team did: made it enjoyable without so much stress. One of the developers said that "Fable" is more the type of game that says "Hey, come on in, relax, have a beer, I'm your friend," as opposed others such as "Devil May Cry" where you were trying to BEAT the game rather than play WITH it. He described DMC as the type of game that would make you very tense while playing it, and while "Fable" has tense moments as well, it's more along the lines of playing with it, not against it. They wanted to make it available to all gamers, not just the ones that play constantly. In terms of length, the game is not completed in 15 hours. Not if you play it right. If you play "Fable" the way it's supposed to be played, it could take any amount of time to complete, as the world of "Fable" is always on. Sure, you COULD beat it in that time if you raced through, only did important quests and touched none of the world, but you'd be missing out on the heart of "Fable" and what it has to offer: and believe me, it has a LOT to offer. Peter Molyneux and his team are GENIUSES, not liars, and this game is a must have for all XBOX owners, just as "Halo" is. In a short while, people will be screaming at eachother "WHAT?? You own an XBOX and don't have 'Fable'?!" *Do not miss this incredible experience. 10/10* --Only comments: slight slowdown with lots and lots of action on screen, there is a little bit of a flicker on the characters faces when up close, and there aren't enough chickens to punt - though there really could never be enough chickens to punt. :) Expand
  96. AndyK.
    Sep 10, 2004
    I composed the music and it rocks.
  97. DanC.
    Sep 6, 2004
    Could have been a 10 easy, but the rushed project ended up only being almost perfect due to the fact they they took out alot of the best ideas for the game.
  98. GerbyLippywhips
    Sep 1, 2004
    It will be the greatest game of all time!
  99. MaccMan
    Aug 30, 2004
    Awesome game. This game is most definatly a great RPG. I got morrowwind on the XBOX and this game is just as good as morrowind. The only downside is that this game is not as large as morrowind but is it sooo fun to play. I cant keep away from it.
  100. IvorK.
    Aug 30, 2004
    Class game...
  101. Jan 6, 2011

#3 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2004
#39 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2004

1. Weekly Famitsu
    9 / 9 / 8 / 9 - platinum [Vol 149]
    Just remember, Fable is not "Project Ego." What it is, though, is a redefinition for RPG's. It takes out all the frustrating elements of the genre, and instead puts in a heap of fun options and possibilities. This is why; despite its disappointing conclusion, Fable is one of the most gripping and enjoyable games that has come to grace the console scene.
  3. Fable both soars and sinks. It's wondrous and wearisome, a great step forward in the development of heroes in RPGs and a tremendous stumble over its own two feet. And in the rising and falling, it finds itself. [Oct 2004, p.88]