8.5

1. RayM.
    Jun 9, 2003
    I played the demo. The game is alot like Final Fantasy Tactics except you don't really expand with the classes, you find other people. Strategy is definitely there. I have 3 boards to play and couldn't get past the 2nd board on my first try. I ran into a glitch and started over, played the first board differently and got slaughtered because of my strategy. I am a big fan of this I played the demo. The game is alot like Final Fantasy Tactics except you don't really expand with the classes, you find other people. Strategy is definitely there. I have 3 boards to play and couldn't get past the 2nd board on my first try. I ran into a glitch and started over, played the first board differently and got slaughtered because of my strategy. I am a big fan of this genre and of FFT. But I would have to suggest others to rent it first. I also don't know if it will be 2 player or Xbox Live, which would simply rock. Expand
  2. LoganD.
    Apr 29, 2005
    Just plain fun.
  3. StynS.
    Jan 25, 2004
    A story told truly in the ways of ancient Rome and the Normen (barbarians) in combination with their myths and legends. Also you can personalise your own team by changing weapons, colours, teammembers, aso. As finishing touch, a good storyline and very realistic graphics. Superb!
  4. CubbyBoy
    Mar 10, 2004
    Awsome, unbleiveable. I love it.
    Jan 8, 2006
    I actually picked up Gladius long after the popular release of Star Wars: BF2, a great Lucas Arts game. Though the world was nothing close to SW, I actually found myself enjoying a Lucas Arts game NOT having to do with SW. Being a fan of RPGs, I really got into this one, completely loving the unique touches it brought to the RPG franchise. Though I admit the fighting was somewhat slow for I actually picked up Gladius long after the popular release of Star Wars: BF2, a great Lucas Arts game. Though the world was nothing close to SW, I actually found myself enjoying a Lucas Arts game NOT having to do with SW. Being a fan of RPGs, I really got into this one, completely loving the unique touches it brought to the RPG franchise. Though I admit the fighting was somewhat slow for the liking, especially later on fights where you where up against multiple foes. Though the character customization wasn't all too strong you aquired a sense of content when your gladiators pulled off huge damage crits =). Overall there are many strong aspects to Gladius, from great sounds to not so bad graphics to awesome gameplay. Having played many Lucas Arts games, I can easily say that Gladius immersed me into the Gladiator/Barbarian type of mythical world very deeply, aiding in the fact that it is perhaps my favourite Lucas Arts game. I recommend it. Rent it if you want to be on the safe side, but it surely is worthy of your money. Expand
  6. A.Morano
    Nov 1, 2003
    Very very good strategy. For all the lame-os who can't read, it has RPG elements, they made no claims about it being an RPG. Graphics are good (8.5), sound is good (8), gameplay is very good (9), and the idea is not so original as it is implemented excellently (9.5). The story and cut scenes are also done very well, and do present a fairly descent storyline and push you forward. The Very very good strategy. For all the lame-os who can't read, it has RPG elements, they made no claims about it being an RPG. Graphics are good (8.5), sound is good (8), gameplay is very good (9), and the idea is not so original as it is implemented excellently (9.5). The story and cut scenes are also done very well, and do present a fairly descent storyline and push you forward. The staggering amout of weapons, npc's and games to fight -- did I say staggering? Collapse
  7. CalebR.
    Nov 17, 2003
    The images sucked ass. Story was pretty cool.
  8. D.I.
    Nov 8, 2003
    I've been hoping for a game that will last more than two days before it is complete. this is the game. however, the graphics, music and build up of charecters has something to be desire. im torn for the price that i had to pay. although it is about 10 dollars more than most, im not sure if it was really worth it. if i could give it a 6.5, i would.
  9. DamianG.
    Oct 29, 2003
    This game is better than everyone says it is. I just got it today for my birthday. I think this game is awesome. I am 15 and I play games as much as I possibly can. Through all of the long.boring,fast,slow,easy,hard,or whatever I simply love this game. Or why else would I be typing this right now,also I think people who love fighting and strategy should play this game.
  10. NeilD.
    Sep 16, 2003
    Dire control system, irritating soundtrack and lack of any inspiring details.
  11. DougB.
    Mar 21, 2004
    Perfect except the slow play, they should give the opprion to skip some the the NPC characters actions when they aren't in combat.
  12. MattT.
    Mar 24, 2004
    Simply one of the best games I have ever played. I personally hate turn based games but once you play a couple of rounds of this one, you are hooked. In fact, I'm probably going to fail Calculus solely because of this game. :-)
  13. Rick
    Feb 28, 2006
    Excellent turn based, strategic, RPG gem. Heaps of level, weapon, armour up grades. Heaps of character and creature ally classes to take into the battle zone. Non repetitive combat arena's challenges. Top of its class. 9.5 - Story was a bit blerrr in my books but at least it has one.
  14. JoonasL.
    Jun 4, 2006
    I wish this game had been marketed. You know, at all. I only discovered it a few days back and it's sweet.
  15. Mr.Lawrence
    Nov 1, 2003
    Yeah! Finally a decent, no, a Superb game from Lucasarts... The game creates an unbelievably addictive atmosphere..
  16. KelR.
    Nov 5, 2003
    I've gone through some ups and downs with this game. At first I loved it then I hated it but over all I really like it. The reasons I don't love it is 1st of all why can't they make a game that is historically accurate for once? No, they always must add magic, monsters, and super powerful women and the same typical crap. GET IT IN YOUR HEADS, you are not being original with I've gone through some ups and downs with this game. At first I loved it then I hated it but over all I really like it. The reasons I don't love it is 1st of all why can't they make a game that is historically accurate for once? No, they always must add magic, monsters, and super powerful women and the same typical crap. GET IT IN YOUR HEADS, you are not being original with that stuff. Next is the fact that while you progess through the game so does the rest of the world (in the game) you'd think that would be nice but it isn't, why? Because you get you butt kicked on one of the lower levels go somewhere else get more powerful and think to yourself, now I'll be able to kick their butts, but guess what? You're wrong because for some reason they have been leveling up and are on the same level as you are and most likely can still kick your butt! Yet, in the end the reason this game is better than most is because of the Co-op multiplayer ability. FINALLY, someone in the game world heard the cries for this option and that is why this game is hella fun. Expand
  17. godme
    Dec 8, 2003
    You are Dumbasses!!! How can u not like this game, its 4 player co-op, over 100 hours long has cool characters and its fun and addictive.
  18. May 18, 2011
    Gladius is no doubt the best strategy RPG for Xbox period. Not that it has any real competition - it is still a well produced, compelling, quite massive game that takes 60+ hours to complete. Its pacing is rather slow and it might try the patience of genre's newcomers, but those strategy RPG's aficionados will have a great feast here.
    The game features several fresh ideas to the genre,
    The game features several fresh ideas to the genre, with action elements being perhaps the most prominent. Almost every attack, ability or spell cast requires player to interact with a specific action sequence, such as fierce button mashing for most bear's or berserker's attacks or pinpoint button press for precise archer's or javeliner's shots. While all of these may be performed by the AI, it is not very difficult to pull off most attacks and get frequent critical hits, so you might want to perform most of them yourself if you find the ingame challenge daunting. It also keeps you from being sleepy while playing the game for longer periods of time ;)
    In the graphics and sounds department Gladius is a solid Lucasarts product, featuring nice visuals, with detailed fighters' models. Most of the tunes are pleasant to listen to, and some are quite memorable. Battle sounds are decent.
    The story is perhaps a little predictable and unveils somewhat slowly. There are several plot twists and memorable events, and although it might not be the most engrossing, it pushes the action forward and serves its role. As for every strategy RPG, the core of the game is the squad composition, characters progression and equipment management - all these aspects work really well and play together nicely. There is quite some replay value here as well - there are two main story characters in game (specified as for the beginner and advanced player), each starting in a different setting. Their story converges at some point, but requires the player to play through different locations in a different sequence. However, due to limited squad capacity and skill points, it is impossible to check out every character class and all the skills with just a single playthrough. Limited number of side-quests might be a little disappointing, but the player is free to choose which battles he or she want to participate in and may skip some clashes altogether. Combat is engaging, sometimes challenging and generally requires thorough strategic thinking.
    Strongly recommended!

1. Gamestyle quite enjoyed taking a detour from the norm with Gladius, which stands commendably behind "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" - in genre-matching terms on the Xbox.
  2. It's ugly, this gladiator's life. But at least it's got a good personality. [Dec/Jan 2004, p.86]
  3. A brave game that deserves recognition. Gladius rises above its initial shortcomings and delivers a lengthy and enjoyable experience. [Dec 2003, p.112]