8.2

Re-Playability Value: 9
    Fun Factor: 9

Score: 8.8/10
  2. Sep 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Halo 2 was a gigantic improvement from Halo: Combat Evolved, and that's extremely commendable because Halo: Combat Evolved was a masterpiece in itself. It's difficult to improve something when the original was nearly perfect. (Look at Bioshock 2 for an example of failed improvement.)

Halo 2 might not have had the best story, but the fun factor the game offered was outstanding. The game was especially fun with couch co-op. It's also good to mention that this is the only Halo game where you play on the Covenant's side. Halo 2 also has the longest Halo campaign to date. Now, every game has it's flaws, and Halo 2 isn't spared from them. As mentioned before, story-wise, you get absolutely nothing done in the game. You discover a Halo ring, and prevent it from firing. That's pretty much the gist of it. Because of that, the 15 chapter campaign (again, longest Halo campaign to date) was pointless. However, it was still interesting. I guess you could say that the entire game was just a lead-up to Halo 3. The ending of the game was also not very great. But let's just put all of that behind and focus on what made Halo 2 such a success: Halo 2 took all of the fun from the first Halo, brought it over and enhanced it. Halo 2 all in all was loads of fun, and in the end isn't that what a game is supposed to be?
  3. Feb 26, 2012
    Halo 2 is one of the greatest games ever created. The story was much different than it's superior predecessor, but nonetheless Halo 2 left any other game in its day in its wake. The gameplay was solid, fluid, and realistic. Graphics were good for its day, and the game in its self was extremely addictive and fun! The world of halo explodes into a massive science fiction epic where you neverHalo 2 is one of the greatest games ever created. The story was much different than it's superior predecessor, but nonetheless Halo 2 left any other game in its day in its wake. The gameplay was solid, fluid, and realistic. Graphics were good for its day, and the game in its self was extremely addictive and fun! The world of halo explodes into a massive science fiction epic where you never know what is going to happen, and you are left at the edge of your seat until the final seconds of the game. Level designs were great and very creative! I enjoyed the variety, and the multiplayer is arguably the bar-setter for every other game to date. A great campaign, and a great multiplayer experience. A superior game and a delivering sequel. Expand
  4. Aug 26, 2012
    This game is the sequel to one of the best game of all time! Great campaign, really fun missions and you can play as the Arbiter in some missions. Multiplayer is just amazing and improved on the multiplayer (BT). And halo 4 will be awesome, HALO FTW!!!!!!! Halo 2 9.6/10
  5. Jun 22, 2012
    A fantastic and welcome addition to the Halo universe. The gameplay has changed in a very positive way with the ability to dual wield and the addition of the sword. For fans of the original, get the sequel.
  6. Nov 2, 2012
    Awesome game, improvement over the first in some ways. The only reason I dinged it down a notch was because I hated the missions when you were forced to be an alien, I rushed through them and didn't enjoy them at all. Multiplayer was also awesome, loved the introduction to the BR in this game.
  7. Dec 6, 2013
    better then the first one in my view but still have the feeling that the levels arren't changing at all there's not much variety between rooms
    the campaign itzelf is good you play again with masterchief and for the first time with a sanghieli called arbiter now you can explore new dimensions of gameplay with too different story working their way together
    +:cool looking sights +:good
    +:cool looking sights
    +:good campaign
    +:awesome characters
    +:multiplayer options
    -:dark rooms
    -:no variety in levels
  8. Sep 2, 2013
    Es un gran juego, después de su primera parte HALO COMBAT ENVOLVED(RECOMENDADO) estuve ansioso por jugar su segunda parte HALO 2, me sorprendió como un gran juego persiste en su gran variabilidad de juegos y sigue aun así siendo un muy buen juego sin des meritar las excelentes gráficas que para ese año eran y son muy buenas.
  9. Nov 8, 2013
    Halo 2 succeeds in raising the stakes and pushing further into the human races battle for survival. It has new weapons, new characters, and even gives us more insight into the covenant. Microsoft pushed up the release date for Halo 2 and it shows throughout the game. Characters and textures blink in late in cut scenes, brutes take ridiculous amounts of damage without flinching, and aHalo 2 succeeds in raising the stakes and pushing further into the human races battle for survival. It has new weapons, new characters, and even gives us more insight into the covenant. Microsoft pushed up the release date for Halo 2 and it shows throughout the game. Characters and textures blink in late in cut scenes, brutes take ridiculous amounts of damage without flinching, and a cliffhanger ending tops it off. Even with all that this game still manages to be one heck of an awesome experience. Expand
  10. Sep 9, 2015
    The campaign was good but not perfect. The multiplayer however is 11/10. Matchmaking, teamwork, gameplay are revolutionary. With the release of Halo 2 Anniversary you can see how well ahead of its time it was. All it needed was a graphical tweak.
  11. Apr 24, 2017
    While Halo: Combat Evolved changed the landscape of console FPS games, Halo 2 popularised online multiplayer for consoles, and changed the world of gaming forever. Campaign was also pretty good.
  12. Oct 23, 2016
    This is where the multiplayer started getting hype. Thanks to Bungie doing an almost perfect game, no other game have made an addictive multiplayer game. Halo 2 kicked ass back then, and it still does.
  13. Oct 11, 2015
    At the end of 2004 when the first time I played this game on my XBox, I was so fascinated with graphics and gameplay. Really real as animated films. Until now, this is still best games ever with good graphics, gameplay, and story.
  14. Jul 21, 2017
    Halo 3 was a very good video game that is part of this incredible franchise, the story, the gameplay, and the graphics were great, just as now it is still a classic.
  15. Nov 17, 2016
    Halo 2 was an excellent sequel to the very successful Halo: Combat Evolved. It's story not as good at the original but it's was still a very good solid story. It did a good job of carrying the story of Halo forward in a good direction. I won't spoil it. The high point of the game and why it was the best selling game on the Original Xbox was the online multiplayer. The multiplayer wasHalo 2 was an excellent sequel to the very successful Halo: Combat Evolved. It's story not as good at the original but it's was still a very good solid story. It did a good job of carrying the story of Halo forward in a good direction. I won't spoil it. The high point of the game and why it was the best selling game on the Original Xbox was the online multiplayer. The multiplayer was revolutionary for it's time. Online gaming on consoles really wasn't a thing until Halo 2 came along and popularized it. I spent so many hours and days on the multiplayer from 2004 till 2007. Then I went back and forth between Halo 2 and Halo 3 as they both had wonderful online multiplayer's. Then in April of 2010, all of Original Xbox's servers were shut down including beloved Halo 2. I devoted all my time on Halo 2 online multiplayer on the last week, Then it was gone. *Sigh* We'll never have an excellent online multiplayer like Halo 2 or Halo 3 again. Expand
  16. Apr 1, 2017
    The best game of Halo saga!! Halo 2 is amazing, good history, good graphics, excellent controls and the action never stop after this game Halo saga fell in bad games, boring history and nothing to enjoy! Bungie we miss you con Halo saga
  17. JerradH.
    Nov 9, 2004
    In terms of console FPS games, it can't be beat, particularly in terms of multiplayer. However, if you're like me and are also a PC gamer, you'll likely find UT 2004's multiplayer to be far more satisfying in almost every way. So good game, but extraordinarily overrated due to most of its base being console only players.
  18. DamonC.
    Nov 19, 2004
    Halo 2 was a great game but not as good as most expected. To start off the campaign isn't any better than the first one which i didnt think was good. It is repetitive and just boring. If you are a die hard single player gamer this game is not worth it. Now on the other hand if you have XBOX live or just love playing multiplayer you should get this game. The maps, artilery, guns and Halo 2 was a great game but not as good as most expected. To start off the campaign isn't any better than the first one which i didnt think was good. It is repetitive and just boring. If you are a die hard single player gamer this game is not worth it. Now on the other hand if you have XBOX live or just love playing multiplayer you should get this game. The maps, artilery, guns and variety of game types are outstanding. Though i think the multiplayer is great they made a few mistakes. On XBOX live you cant even pick your own game type you are randomly put in a game. WHICH SUCKS. Also 16 player halo isnt as good as people would think its more like you respawn you shoot you die. So if you like halo you will like Halo2. Expand
  19. C.E.P.N.
    Jan 14, 2005
    The first Halo game was a wonderful challenge in Legendary and a well crafted, choreographed, knitted, and even operatic experience in Easy mode. A well made 'chapter' in the Masterchief saga. I was drawn in emotionally and intellectually. Weapons and abilities were consequential to the expanding and evolving story and not for their own qualities. It became 'necessary' The first Halo game was a wonderful challenge in Legendary and a well crafted, choreographed, knitted, and even operatic experience in Easy mode. A well made 'chapter' in the Masterchief saga. I was drawn in emotionally and intellectually. Weapons and abilities were consequential to the expanding and evolving story and not for their own qualities. It became 'necessary' to use a charged Plasma pistol to take down an Elites' shielding in Legendary, for example. The game had that crucial beginning, middle, end in good storytelling with 'subtle' hints to something more. It ended with satisfaction and at the same time enticed furture adventures. Time constraints in the first games release perhaps put restraints on the 'intellectual' and more emphasis (as most 'artists' will testify) on the perceptual and heart. I am confident that the qualities inherent in the team that crafted the first game are still there. But these were not allowed to shine forth in Halo 2. Fame and success carry with it that malignant quality 'arrogance'. If unaddressed and not checked and within a 'closed' setting, can lead to an intellectual incest. A reactionary condition arises. And grandiosity. Was Halo 2 more about Microsoft and Bungies relations to it? Certainly the next installment of Halo is being tied to the next Microsoft console. Was it really about Bungies relationship with all the interested players who enjoyed Halo 1 and continuing that relationship? This game was fragmented with a hard and open ending. I did enjoy the dramatic device of juxtaoposing the hero and the fallen of the opposing races as a way of dovetailing and weaving the two games together and I was excited and hopefull. But from there the story never really 'fleshed out'. I was anticipating the Online experince until trusted people who are 'gamers' and spend a good amount of time on Xbox Live suddenly quit. One was disgusted by the behaviors and attitudes of players in other Clans, which means not enough monitoring. "Art" is the outward manifestation of loving, giving, caring. Not sensationalistic pushing of the envelope. It doesn't seek ulterior motives or hidden agendas. That's for advertisers, auto designers, and charlatans. Bungie first has a responsibility to themselves in the best possible way, their vision in 'making', to those who spend their time and money seeking an enveloping game experience and story, and not in 'trying to rule the world"(from the back of the instruction manuals of both games). Halo1 was a captivating and multifaceted gaming experience. Halo2, while retaining good game mechanics, overall had the feel and tone of self-indulgence and doubt. Can you at Bungie not afford to break from Microsoft? Time to grow! Expand
  20. Nibbsy
    Feb 24, 2005
    Has any other game been more the victim of its own hype? For me, one of the beauties of the first Halo was that I expected nothing from it and it delivered so much. (I only bought an xbox as an after thought shortly after getting a Gamecube but as soon as I booted up Halo the 'Cube didn't get touched for months). Halo 2 on the other hand carried such enormous weight of Has any other game been more the victim of its own hype? For me, one of the beauties of the first Halo was that I expected nothing from it and it delivered so much. (I only bought an xbox as an after thought shortly after getting a Gamecube but as soon as I booted up Halo the 'Cube didn't get touched for months). Halo 2 on the other hand carried such enormous weight of expectation that disappointment was probably inevitable on some levels. That said, contrary to the very misguided or plain daft people who give it scores of 1 (?) Halo 2 is an undeniably first class video game. In almost all respects it is head and shoulders above almost every other xbox action game. However, its key failing is that it is too similar to the first game and for this reason it doesn't have the "wow" factor that Halo engendered. The storyline is more intrusive than Halo's but paradoxically less coherent and engaging. Basic gameplay is very sound and the production values are as high as expected but there are just too many times when the whole thing feels like a slightly glossier retread of the original (which would be fine of course if the original had never existed!). Overall for me Halo 2 lacked the spark of brilliance that made Halo my favourite game in 20 years of gaming but it is nevertheless a very fine game. Expand
  21. MarioL.
    Apr 8, 2005
    This game is pretty fun on solo. If you have Xbox live this game can be pretty damn addictive. I recommend this game to all those people who like "Tom Clancy" like games. you can be very sneaky.
  22. JMyst
    May 9, 2005
    I cannot get enough of multiplayer, if it were only multiplayer this game would deserve a 20. Unfortunately we also have the shoot and move, unstrategic and short single player missions! It took me two days playing 2 hours a day to beat this game on Normal. Very easy, only died twice (jumping off ledges). The storyline was incomplete and made me scared of whats to come. I didnt even get I cannot get enough of multiplayer, if it were only multiplayer this game would deserve a 20. Unfortunately we also have the shoot and move, unstrategic and short single player missions! It took me two days playing 2 hours a day to beat this game on Normal. Very easy, only died twice (jumping off ledges). The storyline was incomplete and made me scared of whats to come. I didnt even get the dramatic effect when Cortana said "Another Halo". I was like awww man more flood, dangit. Expand
  23. JasonS.
    Jun 10, 2005
    The gameplay totally sucks, but if you get xbox live it really makes up for it. hate the gameplay, love it on xbox live.
  24. Dr.Worm
    Oct 11, 2006
    This and Halo 1 get everything about FPS gameplay right, but just doesn't do anything new and the characters are and story are pretty lame. To be honest, I HATE Master Chief and would rather play as Cortana.
  25. TristanB.
    Nov 14, 2004
    Just like Halo this game is really awsome and a lot of fun to play. The only problem is the game is lacking in play time. Compared to the first Halo this game was short and it cut off without warning. The things I did like in this game was the larger variety in weapons, the amount of interactivity with the field and the vehicles, and of course the look of the game. The plot of the story Just like Halo this game is really awsome and a lot of fun to play. The only problem is the game is lacking in play time. Compared to the first Halo this game was short and it cut off without warning. The things I did like in this game was the larger variety in weapons, the amount of interactivity with the field and the vehicles, and of course the look of the game. The plot of the story was also a lot better but still not enough game play time. Expand
  26. D.Z.
    Nov 14, 2004
    Buy it for the xbox live but please dont buy it just for the single player. it's sooo plain. nothing new from the original. plus the texture loading problem in cutscenes is like someone scratching across the blackboard. it's horrible! i think i am the only one that is not rationalizing my purchasing decision.
  27. J.J.King
    Nov 22, 2004
    Great game aside from a lackluster single player campaign, but who cares about sp when you ve got stellar multiplayer via xbox live?
  28. RyanG.
    Nov 22, 2004
    I loved this game overall cin. are great gameplay was awsome wasn't as much action as there was in number 1 im a little dissapointed that they took the pistol out but it was pretty cool that you could throw boxes around and onlines great its deffenatly better than counter strike.
  29. DudeSweet
    Nov 23, 2004
    I think it was worth the wait becuase online play is unreal even thought halo 1 did almost beat it in that subject....the whole game was short and the levels were long even though when u played basically 1 u were playin 5. It was pretty good though i did like it. i love online play thats worth it.
  30. EfeB.
    Dec 16, 2004
    Halo 2 is very similar to the first game and that is good in most ways. it tries to out do the first game by complicating events and stories and whatever, thats not so good. the good thing with the first one was that it was so simple. now, you can play as the elite alien race, and back to master chief and back to the aliens and those ugly zombies are back...pretty confusing. the maps areHalo 2 is very similar to the first game and that is good in most ways. it tries to out do the first game by complicating events and stories and whatever, thats not so good. the good thing with the first one was that it was so simple. now, you can play as the elite alien race, and back to master chief and back to the aliens and those ugly zombies are back...pretty confusing. the maps are pretty, the action is amazing. some levels have you flying banshee's and its done alot better this time around. vehicles get damage very nicelly, all the physics and rag doll deaths are cool. weapons are better too, duel wielding is nice but not amazing, because throwing granades remains crucial. the uzi like gun is fun and makes the action seem "earthly". havent finished but i am not dying to play it over and over like i did the first halo...maybe we are all used to this halo series, so not much of a shock there. i play battlefront star wars...now, that's a masterpiece!!!! Expand
  31. OlgaG.
    Dec 27, 2004
    Not as addictive as halo once was. they removed and modified weapons that work, example the assault rifle which by the way my favourite weapon replaced it with a battle rifle which feels like a beretta handgun with burstfire, pistol 2nd most fav. weapon replaced it with a magnum with a fast fire rate not very accurate in aiming, shotgun third fav weapon in halo1 they changed the fire rateNot as addictive as halo once was. they removed and modified weapons that work, example the assault rifle which by the way my favourite weapon replaced it with a battle rifle which feels like a beretta handgun with burstfire, pistol 2nd most fav. weapon replaced it with a magnum with a fast fire rate not very accurate in aiming, shotgun third fav weapon in halo1 they changed the fire rate into a very slow innefective against the brutes, flood, covenant. Smg is very useless weapon it sounds like a tiny firecracker. The most blasphemous thing they did was dual weapon, crucial part of halo1 was shoot then hide to reload, but halo2 it was shoot and shoot and shoot, using needler and plasma rifle was best combination for dual weapon pity i aint feelin the dual weapon. the death of masterchief why did they introduce arbiter, arbiter seems to outshines masterchiefs traits and new weapons, with stealth camouflage the marines doesnt , difficult for marines to approach a wraith in heroic mode compared to arbiters stealth camo its more forgiving to play. if it aint broke dont fixed, too many changes in marines scarce ammo like deus ex2 same problem. dont like to keep changing weapons becoz its always depleted. the biggest mistakes is dual weapon, tell me how can i throw a grenade if im using a dl wp by the time i switched to a sigle wp the enemy already scattered, how can they overlook the crucial elements on halo1 gameplay. the adrenaline rush you feel in halo1 is gone, why? becoz the weapons in halo2 doesnt feel right its not equally exciting while using the assault rifle in halo1, you could really feel the weapon(this feels right) final word, bad changes, dual weapon big no no no, adrenaline rush type of weapon is gone. Expand
  32. JackP.
    Dec 6, 2004
    Good Graphics, fantastic gameplay, repetitive and bland level design... multiplayer should have had A.I. bots.
  33. BrandonB.
    Dec 6, 2004
    This game was good. But I don't think it was as good as the first one. The levels on the game were change completly and it change the way halo was. They also change some of the weapons and how they work. They did great on the graphics. The biggest disapointment was the story. They story and it's ending was horrible. I think the online play makes up for it all though. Good game This game was good. But I don't think it was as good as the first one. The levels on the game were change completly and it change the way halo was. They also change some of the weapons and how they work. They did great on the graphics. The biggest disapointment was the story. They story and it's ending was horrible. I think the online play makes up for it all though. Good game but not as good as hoped:( Expand
  34. ShaunM.
    Nov 5, 2005
    Most overrated game ever. If you want one of the best shooters ever, go seek out Doom, Quake II, or Perfect Dark. The only thing that keeps people playing it is the online competition... not the game itself. Any game could have done this had it been introduced in the same manner on a console with such wide online support.
  35. Marshmallow
    Aug 17, 2005
    To be quite frank the game shouldn't be rated a highly as it is. There are some major glitches, cheaters and hackeres online and really crap respawn points. The gameplay doesn't really improve that much on the original.
  36. AxelD.
    Jul 13, 2007
    I hate the online feature of this game to the full extent of the word...i only gave this game an 8 because of the extremely fun single player+cooperative play make this game worth having simply because of the storyline...little dissapointed because they took out my only weapons that i use...the pistol+scope and the assault rifle+nice big Covenant destroying clip...if you liked halo 1 then I hate the online feature of this game to the full extent of the word...i only gave this game an 8 because of the extremely fun single player+cooperative play make this game worth having simply because of the storyline...little dissapointed because they took out my only weapons that i use...the pistol+scope and the assault rifle+nice big Covenant destroying clip...if you liked halo 1 then this game is worth playing at least. Expand
  37. JackB.
    Jul 9, 2007
    I gave it an 8 because when you played as The Arbiter, you always had to fight the flood and they took the scope away on the pistol.
  38. Marc.D.
    Sep 28, 2007
    I recently played this game after I got myself a 360. Therefore, my review of the game is decidedly influenced by the arrival of newer and flashier games like Gears. That said, Halo 2 stands as a fine example of videogames as an interactive medium for storytelling. The epic sci-fi plot boasts a wonderfully rich narractive and succeeds in engaging the player on some many levels. The single I recently played this game after I got myself a 360. Therefore, my review of the game is decidedly influenced by the arrival of newer and flashier games like Gears. That said, Halo 2 stands as a fine example of videogames as an interactive medium for storytelling. The epic sci-fi plot boasts a wonderfully rich narractive and succeeds in engaging the player on some many levels. The single player admittedly lacks innovation. However, it takes many elements of the FPS genre, adds in a deep level of strategy and meshes it with the ace plot. Like everyone else has been saying...Halo 2 is about the multiplayer. And this is where is ruled until Gears arrived on the scene last year. Check it out if you haven't...then jump straight into Halo 3. After completing the second installment...you'll be compelled to finish the fight. Expand
  39. StephenB.
    Nov 10, 2004
    I like all the options, teams, graphics, Storyline, and Vehicle Damage in multiplayer mode. I hate the Star wars looking covenant, the ultra high jumping, no fall damage, and the lack of medium and small multiplayer maps. I honestly don't know why they went gung-ho on the HUGE stuff> but not very many people like it. The disappointment hurts a lot, but I still think that it's I like all the options, teams, graphics, Storyline, and Vehicle Damage in multiplayer mode. I hate the Star wars looking covenant, the ultra high jumping, no fall damage, and the lack of medium and small multiplayer maps. I honestly don't know why they went gung-ho on the HUGE stuff> but not very many people like it. The disappointment hurts a lot, but I still think that it's way better than Halo Combat Evolved, it just doesn't seem like the same game at all. I still love the game and believe that it will eventually catch on and it will be the best game once it does. Expand
  40. StuM.
    Nov 12, 2004
    Fantastic game. But I do feel robbed in terms of visuals. Ramping up the resolution in cut-scenes and then popping back to a medium -low res in actual gameplay doesn't do it for me. Sound design is great but the music is, to be honest, bland, uninspiring and pretty predictable. This will play much better on it's PC release. A great game, but in no way what the Hype Machine predicted.
  41. SnapDragon
    Nov 12, 2004
    I've been a hardcore Halo 1 gamer for some time now, and I was immediately disappointed by the Halo 2 multiplayer experience. What happened to the pistol? Where does skill come in? Now it is almost entirely rapid fire weapons which take little to no skill to use effectively. The maps are asymmetrical and confusing, making CTF games and communication difficult. Not to mention there I've been a hardcore Halo 1 gamer for some time now, and I was immediately disappointed by the Halo 2 multiplayer experience. What happened to the pistol? Where does skill come in? Now it is almost entirely rapid fire weapons which take little to no skill to use effectively. The maps are asymmetrical and confusing, making CTF games and communication difficult. Not to mention there are practically no small maps like Wizard or Longest. And even the game interface lacks its old charm; quickly selecting a game and choosing profiles becomes tedious and time consuming. Halo 1 was simple but it had style. Why not just bring back Halo 1 with x-box live and more maps? The new weapons and enhanced graphics are great for single player, but when you finish the campaign what are you left with? Expand
  42. TomD.
    Nov 12, 2004
    The game is great but what happened to the game play in the trailers? Seems like they changed a lot, and is Sergeant Johnson alive again? The graphics are great, the sound is great, but the story line and ending have much to be desired.
  43. ChrysL.
    Nov 15, 2004
    Beat the game in a day.....Well, I loved the first Halo so much do to the story. This one doesn't come close to the first game but it's still good...could of been better and should of been a longer game to beat.... And what some of you people dont kknow is that this game was RUSHED... I saw the dvd, they said if they had more time to work for this game it would of been great for Beat the game in a day.....Well, I loved the first Halo so much do to the story. This one doesn't come close to the first game but it's still good...could of been better and should of been a longer game to beat.... And what some of you people dont kknow is that this game was RUSHED... I saw the dvd, they said if they had more time to work for this game it would of been great for them but they had a due date for it. "The fans are screaming for this game to come out" exactly what the people at bungie where saying which is why this game wasn't as good as we all thought it would be. Maybe when they work on Halo 3, they'll take there sweet time like they did with the first Halo which made it one of the best games to ever come out for a system. Expand
  44. Mr.H-man
    Nov 15, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] A PC gamer through and through, I went out and bought an Xbox just to play this game. After a couple of hours I had the controller down-pat and was in Halo heaven kicking-ass! The game play is heaps of fun, there are issues as the devoted have pointed out, however the look and feel, as well as the seemless action had me playing for hours on end. Just as I was starting to [***SPOILERS***] A PC gamer through and through, I went out and bought an Xbox just to play this game. After a couple of hours I had the controller down-pat and was in Halo heaven kicking-ass! The game play is heaps of fun, there are issues as the devoted have pointed out, however the look and feel, as well as the seemless action had me playing for hours on end. Just as I was starting to gain some real respect for the folks at Bungie ...the game ended suddenly? At first I thought that the cheeky staff had forced everyone to sit through the game credits before the final onslaught, however, the thing is ...there is no final onslaught!? This has to be a Microsoft decision (who wouldn't they roll for a dollar?) as no self respecting game developer would leave fans sitting there in disbelief! So many fans have expressed this view in the forums and I think Bungie are going to take some damage over this. Con of the year!!!!!! Expand
  45. AaronL.
    Nov 19, 2004
    I have to say this is the best game of the year for a first person shoot-m up. I loved the fact that you confiscate a vehicle that is being driven by an enemy. I also appreciate that they evened out the weapons (pistol, sword) and you can use them all. What other game allows you to use what the enemy was actually trying to kill you with. I also enjoyed the CO-OP multi-player version. Very I have to say this is the best game of the year for a first person shoot-m up. I loved the fact that you confiscate a vehicle that is being driven by an enemy. I also appreciate that they evened out the weapons (pistol, sword) and you can use them all. What other game allows you to use what the enemy was actually trying to kill you with. I also enjoyed the CO-OP multi-player version. Very smooth and the action never ends. I liked the fact that I was able to use the arbiter. Switch of senory and great commentary from the foot soldiers. The only real problem that I had was the game was to short with a blah ending (compared to the first). I need more hours of game play to rank this game any higher. For those who ranked this game anything lower need to get off their high horse and admit that this is the best 1st person shoot-m up game of the year (except for Halo 1 but that was 3 yrs ago so it doesn't count, so get over it.) Expand
  46. JAYU.
    Dec 5, 2004
    In HALO 2 you have no health meter. Thats bogus! the fuel rod gun was lacking too. i have no room to complain because i got it for $20.oo. but for all you who don't, there is no way you should pay more than $30.oo. And yes, the human pistol stinks!!!
  47. KennyH.
    Dec 9, 2004
    It's a good game, but the single player is boring as hell, and the multiplayer maps are worse than the first game (fun, nevertheless)
  48. AnthonyR.
    Feb 24, 2005
    Like all xbox users, i believe that halo is a must have for anyone. But their are some things in this game that really annoyed me. First off, when you get to a cut scene u see the outlines then the textures later, also legendary is practically impossible to beat, and i was really dissapointed that it just a fight to save earth, and thats all you did was stay on earth and try to destroy Like all xbox users, i believe that halo is a must have for anyone. But their are some things in this game that really annoyed me. First off, when you get to a cut scene u see the outlines then the textures later, also legendary is practically impossible to beat, and i was really dissapointed that it just a fight to save earth, and thats all you did was stay on earth and try to destroy the covenient from taking it over. Another thing that got me upset was taking the roles of two people, to me that was just flat out stupid and not well thought, but the xbox live is very solid. Its fun for anyone who loves halo, but dont get me wrong i love halo & halo 2 but to me it doesnt desirve a 10, and the people that say it does are getting the game way too much credit, get a life Expand
  49. Adrian
    Sep 18, 2007
    While the presentation, gameplay, and graphics technology definitely make Halo 2 a quality product, its poor storyline's execution and repetitive nature stop it from being truly outstanding.
  50. Jelly_Bean_Man
    Nov 15, 2004
    Come on people. This is not the super super super super...(you get the point) game you all think it is. It's like Microsoft got so high off it's power that it ignored the people that claimed there was something wrong with the first game and just continued making Halo 2. It's makes me wonder if they made them both straight after the other without listening to people's Come on people. This is not the super super super super...(you get the point) game you all think it is. It's like Microsoft got so high off it's power that it ignored the people that claimed there was something wrong with the first game and just continued making Halo 2. It's makes me wonder if they made them both straight after the other without listening to people's complaints. Now, you're probably wondering, why did I give this game an 8. Well, I didn't say it was a bad game. On the contrary, the multiplayer is excellent, and the use of vehicles is very smart thoroughout the game, so is the A.I. However, the same problems emerge from the last game. Balance issues: you can murder someone by hitting them with a pistol but not die after being shot with an machine gun 3000000 times. Level layout: the same repetitiveness and not enough freedom in the single player mode suffer even more in the second game. Also, the story ending is crap, I'm sure even the most addicted Halo fan will agree to that. It makes people not want to replay the single player mode ever again. For multiplayer though, Halo 2 stands with the biggest of them. However, I believe Unreal and Half Life just handle things better, not like the big-headed people at Microsoft, who believed the first people who said it was the greatest game ever and never listened to anyone else afterward. However, if it is storyline and single player you're looking for, get Unreal 2, not Halo. All in all, the Halo brainwashed people will enjoy this indefinitely, but for the people who actually think, rent this before you get it, see if you can overlook the giangantic gripes some people have. Expand
  51. Dbl90
    Dec 11, 2004
    So far, reading all the reviews, I've seen three things. The first, is that it is a perfect game, the second it is a terrible game, and the third that it doesn't matter how good it is, the developers tried. I'd like to inform you that they are all wrong. To walk down memory lane, the original Halo was a great game, even the non-FPS lover would probably eventually have to So far, reading all the reviews, I've seen three things. The first, is that it is a perfect game, the second it is a terrible game, and the third that it doesn't matter how good it is, the developers tried. I'd like to inform you that they are all wrong. To walk down memory lane, the original Halo was a great game, even the non-FPS lover would probably eventually have to admit its brilliance. I had high expectations for Halo 2...along with the dread of a long time gaming tradition...the bad sequel. The fact that it is a sequel, and most people know the original, I shall point out what has changed. Halo 2 has some pretty intresting new features, the most novel of which is playing as an elite, with cloaking. I quite enjoyed dual weilding, especially needlers, and brought a good deal of variation to the game, even though one could not melee while not dual weilding. Also, I quite liked the intoduction of of the plasma sword, and the brute shot, which made melee combat somthing that was a possibility. The vehicles now start taking visual physical damage when shot. The sound and graphics are pretty nice, and the companion marines you take with you can be funny, although I have to admit one of the voices really ended up getting to me. Where this game really comes through, is in the multiplayer, and although I think perfer the levels in the original halo, the fact that Halo 2 is live enabled makes it great. No more having to call everyone I know to see if they could drop by to play multiplayer. The only downside is that Halo multiplay is definately not geared twoard a small group, and some levels are just too rediculously big and unweildy for two, three, or even four. Apart from these small innvations I can't really say there is too much going for this game. I really don't like how the weapons were redone, maybe it is just personal taste, but my whole style of gameplay from the original Halo was really messed up with my favorite weapons becoming quite useless. The story line, while starting off pretty intrestingly, end up bieng a bit stale, and it is the typical lrun and gun style game. The highest incentive for replay is the differant difficulty modes, which unlike in most games, make quite a big deal of differance. Go from easy to legendary....and you'll probably throw your controller down cursing when you try to melee that elite to death. The removal of any proof that one beat the game on legendary removes any bragging rights, which, is somwhat of a loss. The game shines through, but it isn't a revultion in the FPS , it isn't a classic like the orginal halo, and maybe it is a bit worse , but this is by all means not a bad game. Definately worth a rental, this is one of those games everyone else has, and probably would serve somone much better to go to play a friends copy. This deserves to be recognized as one of the better consol FPSs of the year, but does it deserve a us to serenade it with praises night and day? I think not. Dbl90 Expand
  52. JosephC.
    Dec 17, 2004
    Halo 2 is an awesome game. While it is a bit too short, and not as good as Halo: Combat Evolved, it still delivers as a game.
  53. Aznkyd
    Dec 25, 2004
    This game is extremely fun in split screen, system link or online...but the story campaign wasn't that excitting. I got soo fustrated that grunts seem to have fully-automatic plasma pistols....they shoot at u like crazy in every lvl..the storyline wasn't that good either..but it was a great experience...
  54. Jun 8, 2013
    Upon its release Halo quickly established itself as the original Xbox's killer exclusive and this highly anticipated sequel arrived three years later amongst huge fanfare. Fortunately, while it did not exactly reinvent the FPS genre, it more than lived up to the hype providing an excellent evolution of the close to flawless original. Single player, co-op play and online Vs modes are allUpon its release Halo quickly established itself as the original Xbox's killer exclusive and this highly anticipated sequel arrived three years later amongst huge fanfare. Fortunately, while it did not exactly reinvent the FPS genre, it more than lived up to the hype providing an excellent evolution of the close to flawless original. Single player, co-op play and online Vs modes are all accounted for and anyone that enjoys the FPS genre won't be disappointed with what they find here. Expand
  55. Aug 13, 2012
    Halo: Combat Evolved was always going to hard to follow up and Halo 2 almost manages it. The sprawling environments return, so do the covenant, so does the flood in fact so does everything. It feels like a copy and paste at times with very few gameplay changes and very few variations in environment. However what it does well is it brings the intergalactic war well and truly home and turnsHalo: Combat Evolved was always going to hard to follow up and Halo 2 almost manages it. The sprawling environments return, so do the covenant, so does the flood in fact so does everything. It feels like a copy and paste at times with very few gameplay changes and very few variations in environment. However what it does well is it brings the intergalactic war well and truly home and turns up the epicness to 11. Invading giant mobile covenant bases, assaulting a hanging city before it falls into the depths below and a story to bonkers that you get far too in over your head and it feels right! Halo 2 is by no means as good as Halo:CE but it damn well comes close. Expand
  56. May 5, 2012
    Halo 2 adds several mechanical achievements over Halo:CE, as well as continues the incredible story arc the first began. What is loses is the originality of the first without introducing enough new elements to feel completely fresh. This is understandable, considering what a feat the first game was and how soon after this game was released. Again, graphics and controls stand up well,Halo 2 adds several mechanical achievements over Halo:CE, as well as continues the incredible story arc the first began. What is loses is the originality of the first without introducing enough new elements to feel completely fresh. This is understandable, considering what a feat the first game was and how soon after this game was released. Again, graphics and controls stand up well, even after a considerable amount of time. The Soundtrack from any Halo game is incredible, and this one is no different. For the completionist, this game on Legendary is, in my opinion, the hardest of all the Halo games, CE to Reach. Overall, a great continuation that just failed to deliver enough new material to be the greatest. Expand
  57. Aug 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An improvement on the first game. I enjoyed the Covenant parts of the game and I had no problem with the cliff-hanger ending. Needless to say that fans of the first game will enjoy this. Expand
  58. Dec 9, 2014
    While not quite as good as the first one, Halo 2 does a great job at continuing the story of Master Chief. This time around though you play as two characters in their own stories. Arbiter and Chief.
    The only problem I have with the game is that the cliffhanger at the end annoyed me a bit.

Verdict:
    A great game which continues the legacy of the Chief and introduces a new character
  59. Feb 7, 2016
    Halo 2 is an excellent game, a worthy sequel to CE. The graphics have been improved massively, and the gameplay is much better too. There is a heap of new weapons, and Master Chief moves around quicker than he did in CE. The online multiplayer is an absolute blast too. Buy this game on the MCC if you have not already.
  60. Jul 29, 2015
    This took Halo: CEs formula and doubled on it which made for an experience significantly more fun than the first, dual wielding weapons against a horde of covenant that are as violent as me? give me that.
  61. Aug 9, 2017
    Halo 2 is the best part in the series in my opinion. She changed a lot in the multiplayer series of the Call Of Duty and this game has a great company for both one and two people, which is its chip and multiplayer for 4 players for a split screen
  62. Oct 19, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. TL;DR at the bottom for those with little time to spare :)

Halo 2 is a weird game for me to talk about. Probably my least favourite out of the Bungie Halo games, it still has a lot going for it, even if it's disappointments are greater than that of the last game.
    I'd like to set off covering the one thing I never covered on the previous review that I feel needs to be talked about. Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori I'd kiss you if I didn't live 3000+ miles away. The soundtracks to ALL of the Bungie Halo games is incredible but the stand out ensemble of songs across all the Halo games has to be Halo 2. Be it the sombre but heroic 'The Last Spartan' or the insanely good 'Halo Theme Mjolnir Mix', the emotional 'Unforgotten' or Breaking Benjamin's utterly badass 'Blow Me Away' Halo 2's soundtrack is the soundtrack you'd want playing when you go save the human race from mass extinction, and this game really does make you feel like a badass whilst doing it. The people over at Bungie must've been watching one too many an action movie because they added a few new mechanics that would make you feel like king of the battlefield.
    Introducing: Dual Wielding and Vehicle Hi-jacking. These two new, revolutionary features will make you feel like the star of Die Hard IN SPACE. Running around wielding two SMG's and kicking people out of Ghost's and then running them over with said Ghosts feels better than anything from any game prior. In addition to these two criminally fun features comes a whole host of new weapons and vehicles for you to get your virtual hands on. 14 weapons, almost double that of the original games arsenal (and a heavily nerfed Magnum....a little too nerfed) and an additional 2 vehicles have been added to the roster bringing the total up to 6. Another feature added was more in-depth customisation. Whilst Halo CE featured the ability to change your armour colour, Halo 2 boasts the ability to change armour primary and secondary colours, edit emblems and even change race to an Elite! Something else I didn't cover in Halo CE mainly because I'm unfamiliar with Halo CE's multiplayer was its maps. The majority of Halo CE's maps were basic and symmetrical, however Halo 2 features more interesting, well designed maps as well as the return of the ever-famous Blood Gulch. This made it easier for people like the lovely folks over at Rooster Teeth to make more convincing settings for their hit machinima series Red vs. Blue. The final heavy hitter in terms of multiplayer was of course the ground-breaking implementation of XBox Live. Halo 2 proved to be one of the most popular online games ever made and still had an active online community AFTER the release of Halo 3 on the next generation consoles. Some die-hard fans even managed to keep Halo 2 matchmaking alive after the servers were shut off for a short amount of time. This die-hard dedication is what led other developers such as those behind the Call of Duty games to take heavy inspiration from Halo's matchmaking system and implement very similar systems into their own games. The multiplayer is arguably the best part of Halo 2 due too all of these boundary breaking features, however the story, whilst having it's issues, still manages to impress in some areas. Halo 2's story was built solely to make you fell like a hero. You'd survived lost and often times alone on an alien ring. You're now back on Earth (for the first few missions anyways) and saving humanity. There are many a moment where you feel like the most badass soldier since DOOM. Punching a Prophet in the face, taking down a scarab and my favourite feature, being the f***ing Arbiter! Taking control of everyone's favourite Elite is satisfying as all hell. Cutting flood into pieces with your energy sword alongside your covenant troops. It's all insanely fun. The story arc of the Brutes usurping the Elites was also a very good set up for Halo 3 and the Elite rebellion; and Tartarus, the best 'main villain' in a Halo game to date was always fun to hate.

However, Halo 2's campaign is also where the weaker points begin to show. Halo 2 was infamously unfinished. It's E3 demos showed off features that simply weren't there, and it's ending will go down in history as one of the most rage inducing endings of all time, ending on that cliff-hanger that nearly had many a person throwing down their controller in rage. Halo 2 is also plagued with rendering issues. Textures take several seconds to load in rather than right away and in soame cases (at least in my experience) not at all. However, as I wasn't familiar with Halo 2 on its release, I didn't experience the disappointment and so that is where my problems with the game end.

TL;DR
    Stunning Soundtrack
    Amazing Multiplayer that makes you feel like a badass
    Good maps
    Additional armour customization is welcome
    Fun but disappointing put together campaign
    Texture glitches
    Magnum now doesn't even have the capacity to kill a fly...

Final Score: 8/10
  63. JesseS.
    Jun 19, 2005
    A good game, but highly overrated. The graphics are nice, with some nice character models and environments. However, they tend to repeat themselves. The gameplay is that great, addictive Halo that we all remember. However, the Arbiter missions are quite boring and disappointing, and you end up feeling like you're doing the same mission you were doing some time earlier. The thing that A good game, but highly overrated. The graphics are nice, with some nice character models and environments. However, they tend to repeat themselves. The gameplay is that great, addictive Halo that we all remember. However, the Arbiter missions are quite boring and disappointing, and you end up feeling like you're doing the same mission you were doing some time earlier. The thing that really shines in this game is the multiplayer. Expect it to be a great experience, but its not the giant God that everyone makes it out to be. Expand
  64. ApocalypseBrown
    Jun 9, 2007
    After years of hype finally people can see this game is massively over-rated. The single player is shite. No bones about saying it either. Terrible in fact, with only the humor keeping you interested. Multi player is where it's at. I think in future this game should only be an multi player title. Single player score: 4. Multi player score: 10. Average 7.
  65. JeroenVR
    Nov 16, 2004
    Just like Doom 3 , this game was too heavily anticipated. I didn't like the first Halo, and I barely like Halo 2. The graphics are nice, story is rather good but man, Halo doesn't suck me into the game, like Burnout 3 or Medal Of Honor : PA. Its seems that all most-wanted games are disappointing: Doom 3, Halo 2, GTA San Andreas, NFS Underground 2 ( don't even get me started Just like Doom 3 , this game was too heavily anticipated. I didn't like the first Halo, and I barely like Halo 2. The graphics are nice, story is rather good but man, Halo doesn't suck me into the game, like Burnout 3 or Medal Of Honor : PA. Its seems that all most-wanted games are disappointing: Doom 3, Halo 2, GTA San Andreas, NFS Underground 2 ( don't even get me started on this amazingly stupid game, and yes I am a race fan). I hope it will not be the same for Half Life 2. Expand
  66. MattP.
    Nov 21, 2004
    Very overrated. I expected tight action with frantic spinning and alot of "oh jesus!" and I got it. But the fights were either way too long or way too short and the ending was the most bitter slap in the face I've experienced in gaming.
  67. AdamL.
    Nov 29, 2005
    Online is awsome, but the 1 player lacks intrest, as well as the maps. belive me, if you don't have live, don't get it
  68. MarkW.
    Feb 7, 2005
    Its amazing how many people call this game nearly flawless, then give it a 100% rating. It's honestly less than average. It has some decent movie clips that bring interest to an otherwise dull playing experience. If your not playing online there is no reason to buy this game.
  69. FtzPronoMatser
    Jul 29, 2005
    This game is fun for some time, but not to special. The enemies are not very diverse and I have to push a lot of buttons. Maybe it goes better with an extra hand. My thumbs hurt also. The multiplayer is ok and configurable enough. Coagulation Ctf is very fun. I don't like the alien weapons very much, but you can take them out. They should've put an communicator with the game, so This game is fun for some time, but not to special. The enemies are not very diverse and I have to push a lot of buttons. Maybe it goes better with an extra hand. My thumbs hurt also. The multiplayer is ok and configurable enough. Coagulation Ctf is very fun. I don't like the alien weapons very much, but you can take them out. They should've put an communicator with the game, so everybody has one and can talk. Please more models and alien weapons that are less silly. Warthog and tank are nice. But I still rather play another world on the amiga. On the xbox I like the last Splinter cell and Ninja gaiden best. Maybe Ninja Gaiden is the best game on xbox, but mileage may vary. Expand
  70. Haloloser
    Oct 7, 2006
    The reason this game got a seven is because its single player is so bad the mulltipler is great the best ever but the single is just so bad that I would give this game a 7, multiplayer 10, single 5, and thats being generous.
  71. Kaim
    Nov 14, 2004
    After playing Metroid Prime.. its hard not to see the game's shortcomings. Somewhat basic gameplay, frustrating weapon pick up system (slooow).. Fantastic atmosphere though. 'King of the Hill' mode in multiplayer is top fun. As is 'Juggernaught'
  72. LordVader
    Nov 29, 2004
    This was a hard one to call, I have been waiting for this game since completing the first one but having completed this one, have found Halo 2 somewhat...lacking. I'm not sure what it is but it just doesn't have that 'Halo Spark'. The ending is a disgrace, it really does feel like the game has been halved and I cannot help but wonder if Microsoft are going to do a This was a hard one to call, I have been waiting for this game since completing the first one but having completed this one, have found Halo 2 somewhat...lacking. I'm not sure what it is but it just doesn't have that 'Halo Spark'. The ending is a disgrace, it really does feel like the game has been halved and I cannot help but wonder if Microsoft are going to do a surprise announcement in early 2005 to say "Good news Halo 2 fans!!! We have another 15 levels of Halo 2 coming out in Feb 2005, yea for us!. Well, you'll excuse me if I don't applaud, shame on you MS and shame on you Bungie for allowing this to happen, the single player was incredibly short (50% short in fact). But it's not all bad news, the graphics are the best on the box and Multiplayer is fantastic. it's for this alone that the game gets 7/10 from me. I may be wrong about the extra 15 levels in Feb but wait and see. Hey Bill, what's next? Halo 3 - Home and Pro editions? The Pro version having ALL the single players levels??? Expand
  73. BitBurn
    Nov 9, 2004
    A little repetitive. Some improvement graphically. Solid multiplayer support. But overall it's pretty good.
  74. AlistairF.
    Jan 21, 2005
    Halo 2 - The biggest let down in gaming history? Probably. Halo 2 is not a bad game as such, its just that nothing stands out and their are better FPS games on the Xbox including Halo and Chronicles of Riddick to name a couple. So whats wrong with the game? Well the graphics do look better close up, but the texture pop-up is quite bad and you can see the texture change to a more basic one Halo 2 - The biggest let down in gaming history? Probably. Halo 2 is not a bad game as such, its just that nothing stands out and their are better FPS games on the Xbox including Halo and Chronicles of Riddick to name a couple. So whats wrong with the game? Well the graphics do look better close up, but the texture pop-up is quite bad and you can see the texture change to a more basic one after just a few steps back from the object. So they are not really pushing the graphics in any way. They have addedd better models and more detailed textures at the expense of having quite a lot of pop-up to keep the frame rate up. The story is pretty poor also, it does not feel as epic as the first game, they could have had a massive struggle on Earth between Humans and Covenant but they took the story in other directions, which I feel was to the detrement of the game. They should have kept the story simple, it worked with the first game, why change it? I dont want to give anything away but the ending feels like a cop out too and that their is a few levels missing from the end. The multiplayer system is a good idea and the match up system works quite well in matching you with equal players, the only problem is that the actual multiplayer gameplay is not as good as Halo 1. Its basically just a "spray-a-thon" first one to pull the trigger wins. The lack of health has taken all strategy away from the games. The CTF and other team modes should have been quite good but most people who play online seem to completely misunderstand the idea of team play so its a frustrating waste of time. The level design with exception of two or three is quite uninspiring. On the plus side the game controls are great and the AI has improved a bit. It also sounds quite good. Its an average game that really doesnt justify the Hype that surrounded it. Expand
  75. TravisM.
    Apr 13, 2005
    Overall Halo 2's single player campaign played through pretty well, although the abrubt ending was a shock the storyline was well written. They took a risk with have diverging storylines with the Covenant and Elite forces, and I for one would have rather just have played as the first Halo did from one side. But where this game is severely lacking is in actual Multiplayer difficulty. Overall Halo 2's single player campaign played through pretty well, although the abrubt ending was a shock the storyline was well written. They took a risk with have diverging storylines with the Covenant and Elite forces, and I for one would have rather just have played as the first Halo did from one side. But where this game is severely lacking is in actual Multiplayer difficulty. Halo 1 I played for nearly 3 years and competed on various State and National level tournaments (iGames, MLG, and AGP) and was an avid supporter of the evolving Halo community. Although Halo 2 did bring forth an entire new wave of potentional gamers about 90% of the best players are still Halo 1 pros. The downfall of the multiplayer component is where I have to rank this game as low as I did. Bungie switched graphics engines and while Halo 1 felt smooth and "just right." Halo 2's graphics engine is far to "busy" and makes me feel like I'm playing a slowed down Unreal game. If I wanted Quake or Unreal I would have purchased those games, but Halo 1 was different and almost "perfect." The pistol while a little to powerful but it was the equalizer against all other weapons. If you did not get a head shot with the sniper rifle or get the kill with the rocket launcher you had a good chance of being "3 shot" and killed by a decent player before you had a chance to get that second shot off. Secondly how can you release a game following the blockbuster caliber of Halo with less maps than the original ?? Especially when 2 are just remakes of the originals (Battle Creek and Blood Gulch). All in all Halo 2 is not a bad game, but it just doesn't have the replayability of the original. If Bungie would release a Halo 1 with Xbox Live capabilities and some new maps it would easily sell for $75 or more. And you know what we'd buy it. But then again this is a business and Bungie did make $125 million dollars in the first 24 hours of releasing Halo 2. That was inherently due to the fact that the overhyped advertising and Halo 1 die hard fans. I for one will wait to rent Halo 2.5 or 3 before I waste anymore of my money on a less than the original game. Expand
  76. ChrisC.
    May 24, 2005
    Average shooter.
  77. EricS.
    Jul 29, 2005
    If this was just a review of the multiplayer, I would give it a 10/10. However, since there is also a singleplayer component, it really brings down the quality of the entire product. The story, while not as good overall as the first game, had some moments that were superior. For example, I really liked how things were seen from the Covenant perspective. The Arbiter is a much more If this was just a review of the multiplayer, I would give it a 10/10. However, since there is also a singleplayer component, it really brings down the quality of the entire product. The story, while not as good overall as the first game, had some moments that were superior. For example, I really liked how things were seen from the Covenant perspective. The Arbiter is a much more interesting and deep character than the master chief, who people just like for being "kewl." He is your stereotypical heroic super-soldier whose dialogue consists of un-original one-liners. I also agree with those who thought the ending was disappointing. Bungie doesn Expand
  78. Itsy
    Oct 9, 2006
    Halo 1 was a blast, Halo 2 finished in a blink of an eye, I luv playin co-op campaign mode, it was a thrill in halo 1 but in Halo 2 it finished in a blink of an eye, plus u were used 2 it b4, da same aliens, nuthin new apart from 2 guns ability, also dey left out sum great halo 1 weapons!
  79. SamF.
    Apr 25, 2006
    After waiting 2 years for this game to come out on the PC, I finally bought an XBOX and Halo2 . The game itself is not bad, it's gameplay is exactly like halo with the ability to Jack vehicles and duel wield weapons which are both pluses. Where the game fails is the story and the constant switching from Master chief to the covenant. Bungie could have made an easy nice story After waiting 2 years for this game to come out on the PC, I finally bought an XBOX and Halo2 . The game itself is not bad, it's gameplay is exactly like halo with the ability to Jack vehicles and duel wield weapons which are both pluses. Where the game fails is the story and the constant switching from Master chief to the covenant. Bungie could have made an easy nice story concerning Master Chief coming back to earth getting medals and having covenant attack earth after tracking him from halos destruction The game would focus on Fighting the covenant on the streets back on earth. With covenant taking hostages etc... and threatening cities with destruction. [***SPOILERS***] Instead you get a lame story that really makes no sense telling of the covenant problems back on another halo. I personally did not like the energy sword but the rest of the weapons were ok. As for graphics, some rooms are dark...took dark. it seems the complaints of the glowing rooms in halo made Bungie go too much the other way. In the sound area...there are really no complaints, Explosions and musics are great. So in the end this game is a shiny coated HALO With a few extras and a mixed up confusing story line. Expand
  80. AamirM.
    Jun 12, 2006
    halo is an alright dunno why the hell its really popular even if its boring for the first half hour of playing because all you do is shoot shoot shoot and thats it. if you like half life 2 then dont play this.
  81. JoshuaM.
    Nov 13, 2004
    First off, let's be clear: the multiplayer in Halo 1 was great, and it's even better in Halo 2. Lots of people were willing to get 6 or 8 people together at a friends house with 2 Xbox
  82. DinoF.
    Nov 16, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] Great game with fantastic scenery and set pieces, however I thought the plot was no where near as good as the first, with the biggest plot twist being the unexpected ending just 10 hours into the game as things were beginning to heat up! Unlike the first game there where no massive and unexpected plot twists (who can forget the unexpected appearance of the flood in the[***SPOILERS***] Great game with fantastic scenery and set pieces, however I thought the plot was no where near as good as the first, with the biggest plot twist being the unexpected ending just 10 hours into the game as things were beginning to heat up! Unlike the first game there where no massive and unexpected plot twists (who can forget the unexpected appearance of the flood in the first game), or dramatic ending as the Halo explodes and the covanent and humans drop their weopans and make up that made the game feel like it was a complete story.... Although visually stunning and with the incredibly high production values, the game really delivered more of the same with some extra weopans, vehicles and enemies. I was a bit disapointed to find that the flood storyline was re used, and if it were not for the online part of the game, I would question what exactly Bungie have been doing all this time ? When this game ended I was absolutely stunned. The game just ended leaving me in a state of disbelief and like other reviewers I was actually expecting the game to continue after the credits as I could not believe that was it !! Expand
  83. TheSoup
    Nov 24, 2004
    Overrated, the campaign is incredibly repetitive. Does anyone else remember when the plot was supposed to be Master Chief defending Earth form the covenant? That lasted about two levels then back to another halo. Also the legendary difficulty has changed form challenging to virtually impossible. Furthermore the dual wielding has completely unbalanced the weapons.
  84. Propchecy15
    Dec 11, 2004
    It is sad i never thought halo 2, would be so depressing after the 2years and a half of waiting for halo 2 to come out and beat it on the 11th pissed me off i found it way to short, and the storyline sometimes pisses me off they count one level as 4 in the beggining menu and the first level is actually a movie i was really ticked at bungie the dual wielding is cool, new vehicles, but the It is sad i never thought halo 2, would be so depressing after the 2years and a half of waiting for halo 2 to come out and beat it on the 11th pissed me off i found it way to short, and the storyline sometimes pisses me off they count one level as 4 in the beggining menu and the first level is actually a movie i was really ticked at bungie the dual wielding is cool, new vehicles, but the glitched movies really got to me. in all i thought this game wasnt as good as it could have been but the multiplayer is fun. too bad no bots. Expand
  85. JonathanZ.
    Feb 14, 2005
    You can tell right off the bat that Halo 2 is going to be different from it
  86. Wongit
    Apr 11, 2005
    It's good...but i seriously SERIOUSLY think this game is way overhyped
  87. ChrisK.
    May 31, 2006
    Halo 2 action is nothing more than just like the original Halo. Constantly fighting and poorly told stories, but that's not what all the good ratings come in. Players who enjoy a good bashing will like this game. The feel for the weapons are amazing and that's pretty much it. Getting a sticky grenade onto your opponent from fifty feet away is a pretty damn good feeling. The Halo 2 action is nothing more than just like the original Halo. Constantly fighting and poorly told stories, but that's not what all the good ratings come in. Players who enjoy a good bashing will like this game. The feel for the weapons are amazing and that's pretty much it. Getting a sticky grenade onto your opponent from fifty feet away is a pretty damn good feeling. The reason for all those good ratings you see, aren't because the players overrate the game. It is because they enjoy it and Halo is quite fun. I do recommend this game to anyone who is not up to date and spoiled by next-generation graphics and visual effects. Expand
  88. MikeW.
    Nov 11, 2004
    This is by far the most overhyped game ever. First of all I wasn't a huge fan of the first game, it was bogged down by weak multiplayer, mediocre campaign mode, and an overall lack of style. It was a game that had so much potential but in the end fell flat on its face. Halo 2 is better, but only in little tiny technical ways. Graphics, sound, and enemy A.I. But the game has this if This is by far the most overhyped game ever. First of all I wasn't a huge fan of the first game, it was bogged down by weak multiplayer, mediocre campaign mode, and an overall lack of style. It was a game that had so much potential but in the end fell flat on its face. Halo 2 is better, but only in little tiny technical ways. Graphics, sound, and enemy A.I. But the game has this if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality to it. Only problem is it just blatantly overlooks problems from the first game. Though it isn't a complete waste, it has good enough core gameplay to make it worth buy. But if you want a mind blowing gaming experience go someplace else. Expand
  89. AramisG.
    Nov 15, 2004
    [***SPOILERS***] I own just about every system and I would say am only a fan-boy of good games not of systems. This game was good and I enjoyed it, but I also think it is down right negligent to give any game you can beat in 6 hrs (while literally walking through the last levels) a 10 out of 10. I really, really wish gaming magazines would address the overly short gaming problem for what[***SPOILERS***] I own just about every system and I would say am only a fan-boy of good games not of systems. This game was good and I enjoyed it, but I also think it is down right negligent to give any game you can beat in 6 hrs (while literally walking through the last levels) a 10 out of 10. I really, really wish gaming magazines would address the overly short gaming problem for what it is no matter what franchise they are reviewing. Here is my review: Pros 1. A really solid story (except for the ending and some plot holes). 2. Great addictive gameplay augmented by cool weapons. 3. I really enjoyed being the arbiter, even more than being Master Chief. 4. Some of the vistas in this game are really breath-taking and add a feeling of urgency to the mission at hand. 5. Minimized combat with the Flood (they are really just annoying gun fodder compared to the Covenant). Cons 1. Way to short. I am really done with games that are over just when you are beginning to enjoy them. 2. This game looked way better in pictures. It still looks good, but I was expecting better. (What is up with the Brutes looking like overweight country bears instead of their original gorilla-esque design?) 3. Not much else to do except shoot at enemies or drive. Other than a few new enemy types (snipers & drones) it is the same as Halo 1. 4. The AI is over-hyped (In order for my AI comrades to be smart enough not to walk out into sniper fire I have to sacrifice my own shield strength?). 5. This game still has incredibly repetitive level design. There are still millions of pointless corridors and long drawn out chases. Expand
  90. Guardian
    Nov 19, 2004
    This is a awesome game. The dual guns the energy sword. Awesome. But the game is just to short. This game is pretty much only good when you have X-box live.
  91. SteveB.
    Nov 21, 2004
    [*** SPOILER***] Good action, great story, cool weapons, great characters... but... TOO D*MN SHORT !!! When MC says he's here to "finish the fight" but then the credits roll, I was INSULTED.
  92. BigD
    Nov 29, 2004
    Good Game. Didn't live up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't go as far as some people to say that I'm trading my X-box for a PS2, but it's not as good as I hoped. A few things that come to mind that were disappointing to me were: 1.) I was hoping there would be more battling on earth. I thougth the main plot of the game was going to be the Covenant Good Game. Didn't live up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't go as far as some people to say that I'm trading my X-box for a PS2, but it's not as good as I hoped. A few things that come to mind that were disappointing to me were: 1.) I was hoping there would be more battling on earth. I thougth the main plot of the game was going to be the Covenant invading earth. So I figured there would be more action on the city streets and buildings of earth cities. Instead we are back on alien planets and mother ships like the original Halo. 2.) When I play Halo, whether it's the first Halo or Halo 2, I am playing to kick ass with Master Chief, not to spend half the game playing as a character that is an enemy of the humans. This was a major disappointment for me. Some people I know weren't bothered by that, but it rubbed me wrong. The game is still a good entertaining game and worth the money to me, but I was definitely expecting a little more. Expand
  93. Feb 3, 2012
    Halo 2 is a more versatile journey than the first game, and it comes with brand new characters, gameplay elements and weapons that improve upon the original. I encountered some bugs with a frozen image over the display when emulating the Original Xbox version on Xbox 360, but other than that the game performed very well. Although not up to par with the likes of Half-Life 2 technically, itHalo 2 is a more versatile journey than the first game, and it comes with brand new characters, gameplay elements and weapons that improve upon the original. I encountered some bugs with a frozen image over the display when emulating the Original Xbox version on Xbox 360, but other than that the game performed very well. Although not up to par with the likes of Half-Life 2 technically, it is still quite an impressive game in regards to the art design, pacing and music. The story has some interesting elements here and there as well, and the characters are more relatable than ever before. However, the narrative felt a bit stretched out, and went back and forth a lot. The gameplay also lacked something to look forward to after a while, and became very repetitive. And it didn't help that the developers, similarly to the first, rehashed a lot of the level design, in addition to tossing the same enemies at you over and over again. And although I didn't need a walkthrough, I wouldn't mind being given better directions, especially in areas where you are supposed to pass by enemy fire and trying to figure out where to go. Similarly to Halo: Combat Evolved, I didn't appreciate the flying and driving as much either, since the controls are quite clunky and getting through enemy fire alive in this particular type of combat can often be more of a coincidence than determined by skill. Furthermore, the enemy AI is not very impressive, and basically runs towards you or shots at you while waiting from a distance. In the end though, this is arguably one of the richest experiences on the original Xbox, but not a giant leap forward from an already remarkable game. Expand
  94. Nov 13, 2010
    Worst Halo. Multiplayer is OK, but it has the worst campaign, and a weird place balance. For the real Halo's, check out Halo: Combat Evolved, or Halo Reach. For something different, try out MW2 or Black Ops.
  95. Sep 18, 2013
    For me this was a massive disappointment from the original Halo coming out a few years earlier. But don't ignore this epic AAA title, it is still worth a purchase. But again I recommend the PC version over the Xbox version.
  96. SariD.
    Dec 22, 2004
    Yes yes and yes we know this game suffered mostly by way of hype-bomb syndrome. Essentially the creative marrow of Bungie's Mac based jumped ship halfway through this project and the Microsoft bigwigs stepped in and said that this is going to be the game that will serve as the ramp to get consumer kids onto Xbox Live. Because of that chapters of the game that would have made the game Yes yes and yes we know this game suffered mostly by way of hype-bomb syndrome. Essentially the creative marrow of Bungie's Mac based jumped ship halfway through this project and the Microsoft bigwigs stepped in and said that this is going to be the game that will serve as the ramp to get consumer kids onto Xbox Live. Because of that chapters of the game that would have made the game more substantial and meaningful in a Star Wars operatic way were lobotomized. The most dissapointing thing of all is that this is going to be the last Halo release on Xbox 1 and yes you will need to buy xbox2 to see how the trilogy ends in Halo3. Expand
  97. ChrisB.
    Jan 9, 2005
    With all the praise that was being dumped on this game, I thought I'd pick it up for my Xbox. Wow. I feel sorry for people who only play FPS games on a console. This is supposed to be the best game ever made? Please. When judged against it's genre peers on the PC, Halo 2 is very average. The gameplay is linear, repetitive and the much-vaunted story seems incredibly superficial. With all the praise that was being dumped on this game, I thought I'd pick it up for my Xbox. Wow. I feel sorry for people who only play FPS games on a console. This is supposed to be the best game ever made? Please. When judged against it's genre peers on the PC, Halo 2 is very average. The gameplay is linear, repetitive and the much-vaunted story seems incredibly superficial. The graphics are nowhere near as good as this year's PC shooters such as Half-Life 2, Far Cry, or Doom 3. And the online play is very run-of-the-mill. Still, I can see why console gamers think this is an amazing game - it's easily one of the best shooters ever made FOR A CONSOLE. But best game ever? Not even close. Halo 2 isn't even in the top 5 for best game of the year, if all platforms are taken into account, and when judged against it's shooter-peers on the PC, it's no better than average. Expand
  98. HenryN.
    May 20, 2008
    I'm really a fan of the first halo, and this game starts out delivering good gameplay, but after the first few levels the level designs become extremely repetitive (think library). The multiplayer is redeeming but many of the levels don't really feel balanced like halo1. This is a solid shooter but the first halo was superior. i would only check this out if you are a huge fan of I'm really a fan of the first halo, and this game starts out delivering good gameplay, but after the first few levels the level designs become extremely repetitive (think library). The multiplayer is redeeming but many of the levels don't really feel balanced like halo1. This is a solid shooter but the first halo was superior. i would only check this out if you are a huge fan of the series. Just don't go in expecting greatness. Expand
  99. RichardC.
    Nov 20, 2004
    It goes without saying that, after the majesty of the original, I was twisted with anticipation waiting for what I thought would be an experience to savour. Surely the time between games would have been spent bettering the original...surely? All I can say is that the Halo 2 experience is distinctly underwhelming. Graphically, and I really hope it's just me, but is it really, really It goes without saying that, after the majesty of the original, I was twisted with anticipation waiting for what I thought would be an experience to savour. Surely the time between games would have been spent bettering the original...surely? All I can say is that the Halo 2 experience is distinctly underwhelming. Graphically, and I really hope it's just me, but is it really, really patchy and poor? The cutscene quality is appalling at times. I could hardly believe seeing it at first. Was there so much of a rush and pressure to meet deadlines that they cut corners and left rough edges unpolished? Why else would the game look and feel as clunky as it does? Has anyone tried playing the original after a few hours of the newer? How does it feel? The audio is sad as well. 5.1? I'd settle for simple effects being audible and defined. I'd love to gush about how amazing this game is but sadly, as a simple game player, my disappointment has proven more telling and truthful than all the hype Chairman Bill can throw at me. Halo 2: a parasitic doppelganger that imitates poorly the radiance of the original host. Expand
  100. GaryB.
    Dec 8, 2004
    Okay, so what we have here is a fairly decent game with not bad graphics and fun multiplayer. But to be brief, this is why the game isn't a masterpiece or anywhere near it: 1) awful single player which I was bored of by the 4th level 2) plot confusing because of emotionless master chief and pointless Arbiter. 3) Graphics pretty square and Master Cheif is still a polygon block. 4) Okay, so what we have here is a fairly decent game with not bad graphics and fun multiplayer. But to be brief, this is why the game isn't a masterpiece or anywhere near it: 1) awful single player which I was bored of by the 4th level 2) plot confusing because of emotionless master chief and pointless Arbiter. 3) Graphics pretty square and Master Cheif is still a polygon block. 4) Downgraded weapons 5) Awful level design 6) Poor enemy A.I. 7) multiplayer only effective when connected to a Network hub 8) No destructive enviroment 9) No peeking round corners 10) No running twice as fast Just go rent this one, or better yet save your money and get Half-Life 2, which is a lot better. Expand

#1 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2004
#2 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2004

1. Microsoft and Bungie have created a gigantic bell that sounds like thunder and reverberates with a fury worthy of a gale-force hurricane. It's not perfect, but get in front of it, and wonderful things - wonderful destructive things - are bound to happen. [Dec 2004, p.72]
  2. The digital surround sound is phenomenal (and the voice-acting peerless), and players with a good A/V system will enjoy hearing enemies approach from all sides due to the sharp positional sound.
    One of Halo 2 Online's best features - if not the best - is the statistics tracking system. [Online review]